2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4307Likes

post #2431 of 9558 Old 08-12-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Over-the-air (OTA) HD is either 720p or 1080i with way less compression than any cable or satellite system is willing to provide. Your 4K tv then upscales to 4K.

Your 4K TV upscales the OTA picture much better because there is more information in the picture compared to cable or satellite.

The only way you are getting 1080p or 4K today is via streaming and the very rare 4K sporting event brought to you by cable or satellite. Of course your bluray player will give 1080p or UHD depending on its capabilities.

OTA might broadcast in 1080p or 4K once ATSC 3.0 is ratified and deployed but that is on the far horizon. Also more likely your local TV station will take advantage of ATSC 3.0 to add more sub-channels and just leave you with the same 720p broadcast.
***Great post! And there is a further development in 4K/HDR called "Advanced HDR - HDR-2-U" which you can read about here: https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-ad...y-technicolor/

I'd encourage anyone who has access to "Over The Air" local broadcasts to find an antenna that works for them. (You can use this web site to see how far away your are from your broadcast transmission and what type of antenna is needed: https://www.antennaweb.org/) I had an antenna put in my house (attic crawl space - ranch home) many years ago when that was the only way to get HD channels (before cable and satellite had availability). It was a wise investment and is also a great backup when cable goes down.

There really is a profound difference and substantial increase in picture quality with "OTA" channels versus the same channels from your cable or satellite provider. Or even streaming. Perfect example: last night, I watched the pre-season NFL football game between the Minnesota Vikings and Denver Broncos. I could access the channel from my cable provider (Comcast) or OTA. The OTA signal was far richer in color and much clearer. The brightness of the Bronco orange uniforms really stood out compared to the muted coloring with the cable channel. And this was with 720p! 1080i is even more clear and pristine.

We're all waiting for a time when live broadcasts of sporting events are transmitted in 4K/HDR. You would think that the major broadcasting companies would make this a priority, especially for "OTA." Speaking of sports - what do you think the over/under is, years wise, before this really happens? Five years? Ten? Hopefully sooner!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 9558 Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6581 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart98 View Post
Yeah, 4k game last night but looked horrible as TV showed it as 1080i but commentary duo kept promoting how game was being shown in 4k. Didn't expect much but was hoping 4k TV would have better quality than my old 1080p upstairs. Same cable company and game looked way better on lg old TV and no weird artifacts and extreme background blotches. Damn technology 🙂
Well at least we are getting some 4K TV besides streaming and UHD Blu Ray
post #2433 of 9558 Old 08-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Great post! And there is a further development in 4K/HDR called "Advanced HDR - HDR-2-U" which you can read about here: https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-ad...y-technicolor/

I'd encourage anyone who has access to "Over The Air" local broadcasts to find an antenna that works for them. (You can use this web site to see how far away your are from your broadcast transmission and what type of antenna is needed: https://www.antennaweb.org/) I had an antenna put in my house (attic crawl space - ranch home) many years ago when that was the only way to get HD channels (before cable and satellite had availability). It was a wise investment and is also a great backup when cable goes down.

There really is a profound difference and substantial increase in picture quality with "OTA" channels versus the same channels from your cable or satellite provider. Or even streaming. Perfect example: last night, I watched the pre-season NFL football game between the Minnesota Vikings and Denver Broncos. I could access the channel from my cable provider (Comcast) or OTA. The OTA signal was far richer in color and much clearer. The brightness of the Bronco orange uniforms really stood out compared to the muted coloring with the cable channel. And this was with 720p! 1080i is even more clear and pristine.

We're all waiting for a time when live broadcasts of sporting events are transmitted in 4K/HDR. You would think that the major broadcasting companies would make this a priority, especially for "OTA." Speaking of sports - what do you think the over/under is, years wise, before this really happens? Five years? Ten? Hopefully sooner!
I’ve always found that college football and NFL preseason games are lower quality in general compared to regular season games. I do wish I could pick up some OTA but the only one I’ll be able to grab is NBC from 30 miles away. Sunday night football has always looked great on directv so I’m not worried. The rest of my locals are between 50-75 miles away and would require a precise setup with money I don’t care to spend on trying to get them to work.

If I had to guess I’d guess we won’t see 4K HDR broadcasts mainstream for at least another 5 years or more. I read an article about how complex and expensive it was for CBS (I think it was CBS) to broadcast a few holes of golf in 4K HDR. Hell, we don’t even have 1080p broadcasts yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 9558 Old 08-12-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I’ve always found that college football and NFL preseason games are lower quality in general compared to regular season games. I do wish I could pick up some OTA but the only one I’ll be able to grab is NBC from 30 miles away. Sunday night football has always looked great on directv so I’m not worried. The rest of my locals are between 50-75 miles away and would require a precise setup with money I don’t care to spend on trying to get them to work.

If I had to guess I’d guess we won’t see 4K HDR broadcasts mainstream for at least another 5 years or more. I read an article about how complex and expensive it was for CBS (I think it was CBS) to broadcast a few holes of golf in 4K HDR. Hell, we don’t even have 1080p broadcasts yet.

***Sounds like you've got the best setup for your location. And you're right - not even 1080p broadcasts right now. I'm hoping for an inexpensive, backward compatible breakthrough in technology to speed up the process. Then again, hope is not a strategy. (I can't tell you how many times my previous bosses told that to everyone. )

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #2435 of 9558 Old 08-13-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I have my genie2 on HDMI1, PS4 Pro on HDMI2, Xbox One S on HDMI 3 and my Nintendo Switch and WiiU on HDMI4 using a smart switch.

I’d put Xbox One X on HDMI2, PC on HDMI3 and the other 2 could go wherever. Pretty much every Blu-ray movie will be output at 24hz so player is fine on 1 or 4 and I’m not 100% positive but when I visit the 2 4K HDR enabled channels on my directv they look great on HDMI1.

So in general you’re correct to connect gaming devices that are going to be using 4K60 HDR on ports 2 and 3 and the rest wherever you want.

Thanks! I ordered this TV and it's coming Thursday, so thanks for the confirmation. I'll definitely hook up my Xbox One X to the HDMI2 and run it at 60 (which I'll probably use for Netflix and other streaming apps too).
post #2436 of 9558 Old 08-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Calibration Settings?

I ordered a 75" 900F and it's due to arrive later this week. I've been looking for some good "default" calibration settings so I can get the picture looking a bit more realistic and less "show-roomy", but haven't found much. I came across a couple of posts in this thread but was wondering if some of the experts have some suggestions. Here are some details:

During daylight my viewing area is rather bright, but I have shades/windows to cut down considerably. At night it's a pretty dark viewing area which I like for movies.

Xbox One X will connect to HDMI2: For GAMING but also for streaming NETFLIX, AMAZON PRIME VIDEO, HBO GO, etc...
Home Theater PC will connect to HDMI3: For streaming video (Digital Copies of Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray content)
DirecTV Genie 2: General TV viewing with limited 4K Content

I realize each of those inputs may be very different. For my money I'd prioritize getting the TV to look its best on the Xbox, with the second preference being the DirecTV. As for preferences, I'm not looking for 100% "color accuracy" rather I would like images and colors to "pop" a bit, but probably toned down from what would be on a showroom floor.

Does anyone have some general suggestions to start off with? Thanks! Can't wait until it arrives.

EDIT: I just saw where acphydro has settings posted in his signature. I'm going to give those a try to start, but of course welcome anyone else who may have some input on this. SIDE NOTE: Is there a "day/night" setting that can be easily toggled by the remote to switch between day and night custom PQ settings for this TV? This would allow for acphydro's Day settings and Night settings to both be used if I could toggle them with the remote somehow. Thanks!

Last edited by recoil; 08-13-2018 at 01:37 PM.
post #2437 of 9558 Old 08-13-2018, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I think what you’ve uploaded picture wise looks completely unacceptable to me and there’s no way I could ever keep a set like that. Mine has the same issues as yours but it’s not remotely close to being as bad. I exchanged 3 total times for basically the same issue except one bent frame and kept the last set because it’s very minor and not visible from my couch. It’s probably pretty difficult to get a perfect set.

It’s a big pain in the ass to unbox, setup, take down and rebox a 75” TV 3 times. The process lasted for me almost 2 months and my wife was extremely pissed about the entire ordeal. Myself I just kept my cool and got rewarded for it with a 10% refund and $200 worth of gift cards.

According to my retailer (authorized probably matters) Sony reimburses them for the entire ordeal and it won’t cost them anything shipping wise for exchanges as Sony will be paying them for it. It’s definitely inconvenient on our end if they aren’t setting it up for us and etc though. I could understand why you’d want Sony to handle it because if they agree it’s easier for you, however, I’d have completed one exchange first then went directly after Sony. If they are authorized they should get reimbursed for the whole ordeal like my retailer claims happens.
In the end, giving b&h the option to try and get it resolved through Sony was just a waste of time. I'm not sure why they chose that route when doing a simple exchange was fine. I made it clear to them that as long as the issue got resolved, they could either have Sony fix it, swap it out, or just take it back.

The replacement set from b&h got here today and amazingly there's not a single bad pixel at all and the zone lighting is far more uniform than the previous set. The first set had over a 100 bad pixels. This one has zero that I can see and I spent a good 10 minutes looking it over carefully with on a white screen and then another 5 minutes on black looking for stuck on pixels.

It's like this tv was made in a completely different place with different standards. The picture is so uniform. If I didn't know better, I'd say the first set was a fake but it would be hard to fake all the OS, apps, settings, and the fact that I got a software update that enabled DV.
post #2438 of 9558 Old 08-13-2018, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryp View Post
If I can help, let me know. Use [email protected], please.
Thanks Henry. I didn't see your message til today as I was on a long trip to Hawaii and my wife said no forums b&h resolved it completely to my satisfaction.
post #2439 of 9558 Old 08-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil View Post
I ordered a 75" 900F and it's due to arrive later this week. I've been looking for some good "default" calibration settings so I can get the picture looking a bit more realistic and less "show-roomy", but haven't found much. I came across a couple of posts in this thread but was wondering if some of the experts have some suggestions. Here are some details:

During daylight my viewing area is rather bright, but I have shades/windows to cut down considerably. At night it's a pretty dark viewing area which I like for movies.

Xbox One X will connect to HDMI2: For GAMING but also for streaming NETFLIX, AMAZON PRIME VIDEO, HBO GO, etc...
Home Theater PC will connect to HDMI3: For streaming video (Digital Copies of Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray content)
DirecTV Genie 2: General TV viewing with limited 4K Content

I realize each of those inputs may be very different. For my money I'd prioritize getting the TV to look its best on the Xbox, with the second preference being the DirecTV. As for preferences, I'm not looking for 100% "color accuracy" rather I would like images and colors to "pop" a bit, but probably toned down from what would be on a showroom floor.

Does anyone have some general suggestions to start off with? Thanks! Can't wait until it arrives.

EDIT: I just saw where acphydro has settings posted in his signature. I'm going to give those a try to start, but of course welcome anyone else who may have some input on this. SIDE NOTE: Is there a "day/night" setting that can be easily toggled by the remote to switch between day and night custom PQ settings for this TV? This would allow for acphydro's Day settings and Night settings to both be used if I could toggle them with the remote somehow. Thanks!
If you want to start with something really simple that pops a bit for color, I’ll tell you where I landed. Might not be the most accurate but I like it for most viewing on my 85”. Plus It seems keeping color a little higher helps with the off angle wash out if that is a concern for you.

I basically took the “Standard” picture preset, turned “live color” to low (it’s too rich if you leave it on medium), and changed color temp to expert 1. Then adjust motion to your preference. That’s it!
post #2440 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone noticed that without xtended dynamic range enabled, that auto local dimming doesn't work? Shouldn't these two be mutually exclusive? G
post #2441 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

I work at a broadcast TV station, and it's going to be a loooooong wait. 4K OTA broadcasts will happen when ATSC 3.0 happens, and they haven't even finalized standards yet. The other part of the equation is costs. Local stations will have to replace a lot of equipment. With how the market is shifting to streaming services, many stations won't see the merit of spending the cash to upgrade. Roughly 5% of our viewership is over the air. The rest are cable and satellite subscribers. Cord cutters grow every day, but most seem to be millennials that don't watch local TV anyway. Many stations are getting new transmitters now due to the government mandated frequency repack ( a whole 'nother story) and I doubt they will be jumping up and down to do more tower work. And the real kicker is moving to ATSC 3.0 isn't being mandated by the government. Unlike the move from NTSC to ATSC a decade ago, ATSC 3.0 and 4K broadcasting is completely voluntary. There are some interesting tidbits about 3.0 that could get local stations to get on board, namely the broadband aspects, but I wouldn't be holding my breath. I can see 4K broadcasts exclusively from major cable and satellite networks for many years before your local FOX station starts broadcasting 4K.
mik2h, theike and ExDeath like this.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #2442 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno60 View Post
If you want to start with something really simple that pops a bit for color, I’ll tell you where I landed. Might not be the most accurate but I like it for most viewing on my 85”. Plus It seems keeping color a little higher helps with the off angle wash out if that is a concern for you.

I basically took the “Standard” picture preset, turned “live color” to low (it’s too rich if you leave it on medium), and changed color temp to expert 1. Then adjust motion to your preference. That’s it!

Thanks, that sounds like a good starting point. I'll have to see what the "motion adjustment" is. I don't remember that being something to set on my prior TVs.
post #2443 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
I work at a broadcast TV station, and it's going to be a loooooong wait. 4K OTA broadcasts will happen when ATSC 3.0 happens, and they haven't even finalized standards yet. The other part of the equation is costs. Local stations will have to replace a lot of equipment. With how the market is shifting to streaming services, many stations won't see the merit of spending the cash to upgrade. Roughly 5% of our viewership is over the air. The rest are cable and satellite subscribers. Cord cutters grow every day, but most seem to be millennials that don't watch local TV anyway. Many stations are getting new transmitters now due to the government mandated frequency repack ( a whole 'nother story) and I doubt they will be jumping up and down to do more tower work. And the real kicker is moving to ATSC 3.0 isn't being mandated by the government. Unlike the move from NTSC to ATSC a decade ago, ATSC 3.0 and 4K broadcasting is completely voluntary. There are some interesting tidbits about 3.0 that could get local stations to get on board, namely the broadband aspects, but I wouldn't be holding my breath. I can see 4K broadcasts exclusively from major cable and satellite networks for many years before your local FOX station starts broadcasting 4K.

So is this a case that 8k and higher resolution tv’s are so overkill at the moment that 4K and the technology that is being used in this tv “should” be able to be relatively future proof? Say 4-5 years out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
post #2444 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Absolutely, no need to worry for a while. I’m so glad I didn’t buy a 4K tv back in 2014/13 basically any 8K set is really just a high end 4K set at this point just like a 4K set from 13/14 would be basically a high end 1080P set.

post #2445 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
So is this a case that 8k and higher resolution tv’s are so overkill at the moment that 4K and the technology that is being used in this tv “should” be able to be relatively future proof? Say 4-5 years out?

4-5 years is probably safe. If you lived in Korea or Japan, sooner. They are doing 3.0 testing in a few US markets right now, but just getting a consumer receiver is difficult. And if they are just rebroadcasting their normal signal, nothing will be in 4K unless it's upconverted. There just isn't content available. People are still sending us 4x3 SD video to air, occasionally on tape!

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #2446 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grysyn515 View Post
Has anyone noticed that without xtended dynamic range enabled, that auto local dimming doesn't work? Shouldn't these two be mutually exclusive? G

In Cinema Pro, you're able to adjust local dimming with dynamic range off. It could be other modes lock you out.
post #2447 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
In Cinema Pro, you're able to adjust local dimming with dynamic range off. It could be other modes lock you out.
Yeah, I am able to adjust local dimming in any setting, but with xtended dynamic range off, there's no perceptible difference in the picture.
post #2448 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

***Thanks for your post. Somewhat discouraging, to say the least. I've always said that with HLG and other technologies - the U.K. and perhaps markets like Japan will have 4K broadcast TV way before the U.S. So if it's streaming only for 4K - - if I were the head of a satellite company, I'd find a way to stream 4K content via the internet versus having to put up a satellite dish and have a STB. Then again, I'm sure Comcast or other cable providers would find a way to choke the bandwidth to consumers via those providers.

That's why I love Sony TV's and their upscaling benefits. 90% of what I watch is cable TV/Sports and Sony does the best job, period, in upscaling the majority of content we have available today.
Bklynblaze and mik2h like this.

Home Theater Setup
post #2449 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozinn View Post
Absolutely, no need to worry for a while. I’m so glad I didn’t buy a 4K tv back in 2014/13 basically any 8K set is really just a high end 4K set at this point just like a 4K set from 13/14 would be basically a high end 1080P set.

***I'd hold out for 16K. Imagine how great the picture will be for the one demo disc you have! And I'm sure that a 720p/1080i signal will look fantastic on a 16K set.

Home Theater Setup
post #2450 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Isnt it suppose to say HDR beside picture setting? Watching Avengers Infinity War bluray and it doesn't say it. Display button shows as 4k level but thought I heard if hdmi connection done properly it would show hdr
post #2451 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil View Post
Thanks, that sounds like a good starting point. I'll have to see what the "motion adjustment" is. I don't remember that being something to set on my prior TVs.
It will come down to your preference on motion if you even want to change it.

It’s under advanced settings -> motion. My settings are custom, smoothness 1, clearness min, cinemotion off.

Good luck!
post #2452 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Isnt it suppose to say HDR beside picture setting? Watching Avengers Infinity War bluray and it doesn't say it. Display button shows as 4k level but thought I heard if hdmi connection done properly it would show hdr
I'm too dumb for this. Some pic modes say mastered in 4k and some say off..the hdr thing missing..sure TV can look better as I'm not impressed with it but hoping its owner issue. 🙂
post #2453 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 PM

Best settings for watching bluray movies? Doesnt switching hdr on make it better? I cant decide..eyes confused but looks dull
post #2454 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm too dumb for this. Some pic modes say mastered in 4k and some say off..the hdr thing missing..sure TV can look better as I'm not impressed with it but hoping its owner issue. 🙂
Only shows hdr if I go to video mode and switch it to hlg as auto doesnt bring it up
post #2455 of 9558 Old 08-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Only shows hdr if I go to video mode and switch it to hlg as auto doesnt bring it up
The Blu-ray you bought has to be a UHD Blu-ray and it has have HDR on it. If it does you’ll see an HDR10 or Dolby Vision badge on the case somewhere. Your player also has to support UHD and HDR playback. You should leave your TV on auto for HDR and etc. If it detects HDR data it’ll automatically switch to HDR mode. The only way to tell is by opening the action menu and looking for the HDR badge next to whatever picture preset you are using. Forcing HDR when there is no HDR data will likely make the image look worse. If you just bought a standard Blu-ray there will be no HDR metadata on it for you to play back. You player has to be able to playback HDR some can playback 4K but not HDR. The Mastered in 4K is basically only for Sony movies and you can just leave it on and don’t worry about it if you watch something and it’s not changeable. You also have to use HDMI cables with enough bandwidth.

If your player is connected to HDMI 1 or 4 it has to output at 24hz and not 60hz (most players do 24hz). Also HLG is broadcast HDR, I don’t think any Blu-rays have it. Directv uses HLG for HDR content on its 2-3 4K HDR enables channels though.

Hope this helps. If you’re still lost please post your exact setup with model numbers of the player you are using and if using an AVR or etc as well.
bmcleod likes this.

Last edited by acphydro; 08-14-2018 at 11:19 PM.
post #2456 of 9558 Old 08-15-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Quote:

8K is overkill, period. Theaters with digital screenings can do 4K. A good number of films are still finished with a 2K digital intermediate. Special effects are also usually finished at 2K.

To bring 8K home to our relatively small screens is as needless as it gets. Studios are doing a lot of 4K scans of their catalog these days, and I don’t see them justifying new 8k scans at all.
bmcleod likes this.

Last edited by mzupeman; 08-15-2018 at 04:47 AM.
post #2457 of 9558 Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The Blu-ray you bought has to be a UHD Blu-ray and it has have HDR on it. If it does you’ll see an HDR10 or Dolby Vision badge on the case somewhere. Your player also has to support UHD and HDR playback. You should leave your TV on auto for HDR and etc. If it detects HDR data it’ll automatically switch to HDR mode. The only way to tell is by opening the action menu and looking for the HDR badge next to whatever picture preset you are using. Forcing HDR when there is no HDR data will likely make the image look worse. If you just bought a standard Blu-ray there will be no HDR metadata on it for you to play back. You player has to be able to playback HDR some can playback 4K but not HDR. The Mastered in 4K is basically only for Sony movies and you can just leave it on and don’t worry about it if you watch something and it’s not changeable. You also have to use HDMI cables with enough bandwidth.

If your player is connected to HDMI 1 or 4 it has to output at 24hz and not 60hz (most players do 24hz). Also HLG is broadcast HDR, I don’t think any Blu-rays have it. Directv uses HLG for HDR content on its 2-3 4K HDR enables channels though.

Hope this helps. If you’re still lost please post your exact setup with model numbers of the player you are using and if using an AVR or etc as well.
Thank you. I use ps4pro and hdmi into 2 slot. It supports hdr. Turned on hlg during movie and colors did look better but other parts not so much. Hdr 10 thing makes everything crushed so assume due to not being 4k bluray. Even watching Netflix or prime and shows saying vision and hd10 it looks crushed when using hd10..TVs too complicated Thanks for ur reply and info. Appreciate u taking the time.
post #2458 of 9558 Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Are the forum members saying that if you have X-Dynamic Range Off then Local dimming is off also, or you can't have Local dimming working unless X-Dynamic range is on also ?
I would like to get this clear in my mind.
Clear me up.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #2459 of 9558 Old 08-15-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Are the forum members saying that if you have X-Dynamic Range Off then Local dimming is off also, or you can't have Local dimming working unless X-Dynamic range is on also ?
I would like to get this clear in my mind.
Clear me up.
I am not seeing local dimming making any perceptible change with xtended dynamic range off. Maybe it's subtle enough that I can't tell, but switching between high, medium, and low local dimming settings doesn't seem to do anything.

When I switch xtended dynamic to low, the difference between high,medium, and low local dimming is noticeably different.
post #2460 of 9558 Old 08-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Thank you. I use ps4pro and hdmi into 2 slot. It supports hdr. Turned on hlg during movie and colors did look better but other parts not so much. Hdr 10 thing makes everything crushed so assume due to not being 4k bluray. Even watching Netflix or prime and shows saying vision and hd10 it looks crushed when using hd10..TVs too complicated Thanks for ur reply and info. Appreciate u taking the time.
Wait you are using a PS4Pro? That doesn't support 4K blu-ray. You are watching the regular 1080p blu-ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page