2018 Samsung FALD Q8FN Owners thread - No price talk - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1551Likes

post #3091 of 3255 Old 05-19-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3255 Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anybody been able to fix the tv not displaying the correct info screen information? It has been driving me nuts for a year now.
post #3093 of 3255 Old 05-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Windowbox vertical bars not as dark as horizontal bars

The other night I was watching an old-time B&W movie from the '40s via my Spectrum cable box's Turner Classic Movies On Demand channel which was in windowbox (AKA "postage stamp") format (substantial borders on all four sides of the displayed centered image). The top and bottom horizontal bars were typical Q8FN jet black in color, however, the two side vertical bars were not nearly as black and had a duller gray appearance to them -- not so distracting as to ruin the movie viewing experience, but distracting nonetheless. Has anyone experienced this when watching a windowbox-formatted film? Standard letterboxing looks fantastic, jet black horizontal bars with zero blooming (firmware 1202.3). I didn't try any workarounds such as stretching/zooming the picture to fill the entire screen since that can introduce PQ distortion, so I just lived with the off-black vertical bars for the duration of the film. Could this anomaly be due to a limitation with the local dimming algorithm? The exact same behavior occurs with every windowboxed broadcast I view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 3255 Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a Q8FN for my new home theater. I have a Denon AVR-X4500h and a 5.1.4 speaker arrangement. I'm trying to figure out how to best utilize the TV's built in smart functionality and make the most of my audio setup if that is possible. It's been about 12 years since I dove into HT A/V after building a simple 5.1 setup around Philips Ambilight. A lot has changed in the intervening time!

My AV closet is remote from the tv so I provided a 2" smurftube to run CAT6, HDMI, center channel to the TV

I'm really confused about how ARC/eARC and optical audio compare. Does this TV have eARC? It doesn't appear to, but I see people referencing atmos over ARC HDMI connection in this thread which I thought needs eARC.

Here's the HDMI cable I bought, in retrospect I probably should have done a little more research before buying and fishing it through the wall. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

If I use the TV's built in apps (Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Xfinity Stream Beta) what am I losing if I use the ARC HDMI connection, vs the Optical cable?

The AVR will be used for UHD BD and video games, but I was hoping to utilizing the tv for streaming apps. I have a 4k apple tv I can move down there if I have to want to maximize utilization of my audio setup.

Any help to help me make sense of this would be appreciated.

edit: added link for purchased HDMI cable

Last edited by Manris; 05-21-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #3095 of 3255 Old 05-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manris View Post
I recently bought a Q8FN for my new home theater. I have a Denon AVR-X4500h and a 5.1.4 speaker arrangement. I'm trying to figure out how to best utilize the TV's built in smart functionality and make the most of my audio setup if that is possible. It's been about 12 years since I dove into HT A/V after building a simple 5.1 setup around Philips Ambilight. A lot has changed in the intervening time!

My AV closet is remote from the tv so I provided a 2" smurftube to run CAT6, HDMI, center channel to the TV

I'm really confused about how ARC/eARC and optical audio compare. Does this TV have eARC? It doesn't appear to, but I see people referencing atmos over ARC HDMI connection in this thread which I thought needs eARC.

Here's the HDMI cable I bought, in retrospect I probably should have done a little more research before buying and fishing it through the wall. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

If I use the TV's built in apps (Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Xfinity Stream Beta) what am I losing if I use the ARC HDMI connection, vs the Optical cable?

The AVR will be used for UHD BD and video games, but I was hoping to utilizing the tv for streaming apps. I have a 4k apple tv I can move down there if I have to want to maximize utilization of my audio setup.

Any help to help me make sense of this would be appreciated.

edit: added link for purchased HDMI cable
From what I understand it only supports certain parts of HDMI 2.1, but isn't fully HDMI 2.1 or eARC.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/article...&id=1525866572

Display: Samsung 75Q8FN f/w 1290.4
Sound: Samsung Q90R soundbar f/w 1008.0
Console: Microsoft Xbox One X OS 10.0.18363.8118
post #3096 of 3255 Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6846 Post(s)
Liked: 6842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccusk View Post
I'm really torn between these. Any thoughts if they were the same price? I'm leaning towards the Q8FN.
I would say its going to be a tossup between the 70R and the Q8FN, so go with the better deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post

My main concern with Q8FN is that it seems like screen uniformity (banding & DSE) was a problem based on user feedback here. But that may also be the case with the Q70R, as you can see banding in the grayscale test photo in the review posted today.

(Will somebody please just make a TV that has no visible uniformity problems, like my dusty old plasma?)
Plasma's had the least amount of issues it seems when comparing to LCD and OLED. They still had there drawbacks though.
post #3097 of 3255 Old 05-23-2019, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Hello. I just purchased a 55" Q8 and hooked it up last night. In the top corner it says the resolution is 3840x2160. I am using an existing HDMI cable that I bought about 3-4 years ago. I have no clue if it supports HDMI 2.0. Would the screen be black if my cable wasn't 2.0?

Not sure if it matters, but the TV is hooked up to a Denon AVR-X4500H using ARC.
post #3098 of 3255 Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 205
New owner of a 55Q8FN here. Is it common for there to be a noticeable amount of glow to the right side of the screen on a black videogame loading screen with nothing else on the screen (HDR game, LD: High)? I'm also getting a strange pulsing glow in the top left corner when there's a bright object center of an otherwise black screen. I wish I could get a picture, but my phone's low light capabilities suck.

Loving the contrast of this screen vs the 950g I exchanged, but I'm hating the blooming.
post #3099 of 3255 Old 05-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Has anyone calibrated this TV using autocal and been pleased with the results? Last time I checked this thread last year, it seemed problematic. I’m thinking about picking up an X-rite i1Display Pro in conjunction with the MobileForge on Firestick for generating test patterns and calibrating it myself as a beginner.

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me" -Vizzini
post #3100 of 3255 Old 05-28-2019, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
I didn't either. There are airplay settings in the general or external device settings of the tv. Also saw an ad for iTunes on the tv. I have a US spec tv.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have tried to mirror my iPhone 7 screen. Works as expected.
Haven't tried iTunes yet.
post #3101 of 3255 Old 05-31-2019, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirthizzalot View Post
Hopefully someone here can help me. I have an 82 inch Q8FN 2018 model. All around it’s an excellent tv. But I see to be having issues using the built in Hulu app. I watch a lot of adult animation, like family guy. When watching family guy any time there is extremely fast motion on the TV it leaves a sort of ghosting effect and looks terrible. It only happens on animated shows and only on Hulu as far as I can tell. I have auto motion plus set to auto, but I’ve also tried it on custom and set blur reduction and judder reduction to max. Any suggestions?
So after more testing it seems to also be happening on certain fast moving games. It is having issues handling fast moving animations. I’m not sure what to do to correct this.
post #3102 of 3255 Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
New owner of a 55Q8FN here. Is it common for there to be a noticeable amount of glow to the right side of the screen on a black videogame loading screen with nothing else on the screen (HDR game, LD: High)? I'm also getting a strange pulsing glow in the top left corner when there's a bright object center of an otherwise black screen. I wish I could get a picture, but my phone's low light capabilities suck.

Loving the contrast of this screen vs the 950g I exchanged, but I'm hating the blooming.

yes logos will bloom. with HDR it is highly advised to the dimming on high, but you can lower the backlight a little to help with blooming. on my Q9FN, I usually keep the backlight around 30-35 depending on the time of day.
post #3103 of 3255 Old 05-31-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Tech View Post
The other night I was watching an old-time B&W movie from the '40s via my Spectrum cable box's Turner Classic Movies On Demand channel which was in windowbox (AKA "postage stamp") format (substantial borders on all four sides of the displayed centered image). The top and bottom horizontal bars were typical Q8FN jet black in color, however, the two side vertical bars were not nearly as black and had a duller gray appearance to them -- not so distracting as to ruin the movie viewing experience, but distracting nonetheless. Has anyone experienced this when watching a windowbox-formatted film? Standard letterboxing looks fantastic, jet black horizontal bars with zero blooming (firmware 1202.3). I didn't try any workarounds such as stretching/zooming the picture to fill the entire screen since that can introduce PQ distortion, so I just lived with the off-black vertical bars for the duration of the film. Could this anomaly be due to a limitation with the local dimming algorithm? The exact same behavior occurs with every windowboxed broadcast I view.
I've also noticed the black vertical bars on 4 x 3 content are not dimmed nearly as well as the horizontal bars on 2.35 ratio content on my Q8FN. Nature of the LD algorithm, I guess. With only 40 zones, it is difficult to eliminate this problem completely. I wonder if the Q80 with 96 zones is better? My Q9FN is definitely better in this regard, but it should be with 480 zones.
post #3104 of 3255 Old 06-08-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

I picked up a 65q8 from best buy for an incredibly good price, but it's got a lot of issues. Severe DSE and a persistent bloom along the left with a sort of meandering crease through it. I won't be about to get this TV at this price again, as it was on open box.

Has anyone had good luck with Samsung's warranty service with issues like this?

I also have a Vizio P Quantum with some slight DSE that I may keep instead, but I'm some ways I prefer the Samsung so far.

Any advice would be appreciated.
post #3105 of 3255 Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staylorist View Post
Hi All,

I picked up a 65q8 from best buy for an incredibly good price, but it's got a lot of issues. Severe DSE and a persistent bloom along the left with a sort of meandering crease through it. I won't be about to get this TV at this price again, as it was on open box.

Has anyone had good luck with Samsung's warranty service with issues like this?

I also have a Vizio P Quantum with some slight DSE that I may keep instead, but I'm some ways I prefer the Samsung so far.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I just decided to return the set. I don't like the performance in gaming so far. The BFI is a little too flickery and dim for me compared to the Vizio. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but I bothers me after a short while.
post #3106 of 3255 Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have had my 55q8 for about 2 months now and am noticing around the edges what looks almost like burn in from being in ambient mode.
I dont use ambient mode much but when I do, it has a frame around it, and thats what this looks like.
It isnt noticeable in dark images but you can see it on lighter images. Most people dont notice it but I did and now can see it.

Any thoughts about this?
Thanks.

Denon 3400h, Kef Q100s, PSB C1, Sub Series 125 and Paradigm adp-190s, Atrium4 Front Heights
55 Q80r, Optoma HD 2200, ps3 and HTPC- Living Rm

Yamaha YAS108, 55 lg lk520-Bed Rm
post #3107 of 3255 Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why does hdr not kick in on Stardard ard only movee my oleds do feel boughht wrong tv 75q8 in conservatory otherwise bought oled. Got for bright screen have I made mistake thanks
post #3108 of 3255 Old 06-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol dave View Post
Why does hdr not kick in on Stardard ard only movee my oleds do feel boughht wrong tv 75q8 in conservatory otherwise bought oled. Got for bright screen have I made mistake thanks

Why don't you rewrite your post so it makes sense?

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #3109 of 3255 Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Update 1260 available today, same vague change log. Installed successfully via USB on my Q8FN 82".
Arctura likes this.
post #3110 of 3255 Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, I registered in this forum to post some bugs, I don't know if it's only my TV, but I think it's for all.

I recently purchased a Q8DN (wich is the same as american Q8FN), and first when swiching into game mode with an xbox one, the backlight sometime flickers, seem that the antiflicker doesn't kick correctly soemtimes, I can correct this by swiching off/on the game mode, the panel will display correctly. Maybe it's my Tvs own problem.

But this oter one looks to be a generic problem, and I think that's why so many people are struggling with this option:

When I select "color space", in the menu you have "native", "auto", "custom".
Well, I can 100% say that "auto" option just copyes "custom" color space option but doesn't copy red/blue/green parameters, so if you change "custom", it changes auto too, so AUTO is a dull option for now, it does not change by signal.

You can test this:
-Put your custom menú at default values
-change quickly between native, auto, and original
-Change aunto (only color space) for example to DCi-3p
-Change quicly between native, auto, custom.
Yep they are just the same in both cases, when changing color in custom mode, it sjust copyes custom personal option.

I have noted that if you change magente/blue/green parameters in custom, does not translate to "auto option", but it translates color space, It uses color space from custom and default TV values for coloring.

The only right color option for me now is use personal and select the correct one manually.
post #3111 of 3255 Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosminionx View Post
Update 1260 available today, same vague change log. Installed successfully via USB on my Q8FN 82".

Not available OTA yet. Will keep my eyes open for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #3112 of 3255 Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosminionx View Post
Thanks for the heads up

post #3113 of 3255 Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just installed firmware 1260. I've been having issues with getting sound through arc with my Nakamichi soundbar 9. 2, specifically for dd sources. Dd plus works fine through arc.

I've noticed that dd sound seems to be working. Before it would cut out constantly and I had to use the optical connection for a steady dolby digital performance. I'll keep an eye on this. Hopefully this update resolves my sound issues. I haven't noticed any other improvements.

post #3114 of 3255 Old 06-19-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
Just installed firmware 1260. I've been having issues with getting sound through arc with my Nakamichi soundbar 9. 2, specifically for dd sources. Dd plus works fine through arc.

I've noticed that dd sound seems to be working. Before it would cut out constantly and I had to use the optical connection for a steady dolby digital performance. I'll keep an eye on this. Hopefully this update resolves my sound issues. I haven't noticed any other improvements.

DD issues an earlier firmware update probably screwed up. Wouldn't it be wiser to wait and see how this version shakes out? I do not see the benefit of experimenting with a new firmware that if it goes south, there is no escaping from.
4K Tech likes this.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #3115 of 3255 Old 06-22-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I have had a QN75Q8FNB for almost a year now and there are a few issues that NEVER seem to get fixed.
First, we usually watch with our TIVO and it is connected via HDMI to a high-end Yamaha Receiver and its output is via the Samsung HDMI ARC input to the TV. All seems OK most of the time. However I have 2 issues that drive us crazy!

1. The receiver does have pass thru so if we just want to use the Q8FN speakers it is OK, except if we skip ads, the volume is very soft! If we backup the TIVO the audio is good again, so it was recorded OK. If we do use the Receiver to play thru our big speakers, all is OK. We have a setup in the bedroom with a Q6 and TIVO and it seems to have the same issue and, of course there is no Receiver there.

2. This second issue is ONLY with our Q8. This only happens a few times a month but is very annoying. While watching a show, the TV will suddenly interrupt the show and the Samsung Logo shows up like we just turned the TV on. This only lasts a short time so we do not believe it is a total reboot.

I have not tried to update to 1260 yet as far as I know I am still at 1251.0. I wonder if I can tell BIXBY to show me my firmware version? Anyway, shoul I update?
I guess we need to help ourselves as SAMSUNG support just stalls until you give up calling them.

Last edited by mpsan; 06-22-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #3116 of 3255 Old 06-22-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I updated to the new 1260 firmware...

Not much to tell. Maybe it fixed the flaws in 1251 but maybe not. Seems similar. I noticed a slight change to the "auto motion plus" feature. Artefacts are more noticeable with the judder reduction now. Before i used ~4 for a balance of smoothness and no noticeable artefacts. But now I notice artefacts with any setting but 0. As always it fails on judder reduction as usual. Never really smooth. Maybe a setting of 1-2 is ok now but I still noticed some off artefacts that caught my eye at times in fast motion. Before a setting up to 4 was alright without noticing anything apparent but now all is bad but 0. But 0 setting seems to be better than before??

Other changes are maybe a slightly adjusted backlight dimming algorithm. Maybe a tad better than the previous version but might be just the same. Placebo mostly I think.

On the other hand maybe Freesync 4K 48-60hz finally works? Initial testing seems to not get it to crap out with loss of signal when FPS goes in the 48-50hz range. But usually this takes time to crap out and maybe just works for the moment as is the usual routine.

Backlight dimming in game mode is still "broken", nothing close to what you get in regular movie mode. Basically your screen gets 4-5 zones of backlight control in game mode. Bloom hell.
post #3117 of 3255 Old 06-22-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Well, one issue we have is that on a slow pan on some shows there is jitter. Not sure why but it seems like it is on bright scenes. The Good Doctor is very bad but not sure what setting would help...if anything!
post #3118 of 3255 Old 06-23-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I'm looking to buy this tv sometime in the future. According to, well everyone the black level on this tv is supposed to be good. Obviously i don't expect it to be an oled and i am fine with some haloing or blooming around object as long as the tv doesn't have clouding or flashlightning into the black bars. To anyone who has this tv, is there any clouding or flashlightning on this tv when watching in a completly dark room?
post #3119 of 3255 Old 06-23-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
^the blacks are very good on the q8fn but you would still need a bit of bias lighting to help it. However with lights on or off ive never seen any sort of flashlighting or clouding.
post #3120 of 3255 Old 06-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidboi View Post
I'm looking to buy this tv sometime in the future. According to, well everyone the black level on this tv is supposed to be good. Obviously i don't expect it to be an oled and i am fine with some haloing or blooming around object as long as the tv doesn't have clouding or flashlightning into the black bars. To anyone who has this tv, is there any clouding or flashlightning on this tv when watching in a completly dark room?
I have no clouding or flashlighting on this television at all. Black levels are pretty darn good, and i'm coming from a C77 OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page