2018 Samsung FALD Q8FN Owners thread - No price talk - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1549Likes

post #3121 of 3224 Old 06-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidboi View Post
I'm looking to buy this tv sometime in the future. According to, well everyone the black level on this tv is supposed to be good. Obviously i don't expect it to be an oled and i am fine with some haloing or blooming around object as long as the tv doesn't have clouding or flashlightning into the black bars. To anyone who has this tv, is there any clouding or flashlightning on this tv when watching in a completly dark room?

Depends on your viewing angle. Direct from front it may look black in some bias lighting but from any off angle view the Local Dimming zones will show obviously and it might look awful until you set yourself just in front instead. Contrast is only good from direct front viewing and takes a huge hit from the sides viewing.

Flash lightning or clouding as such aren't a issue with proper seating in front but you will get issues with subtitles on dark content with the Local dimming. If you look at reviews and videos the screen will "pulse" brighter(for the whole scene) when a white subtitle comes on screen(I recommend if you can to watch without subtitles or change the colour of them to some dimmer dark grey to limit it's issue, only a issue for dark content). This is a issue for all Samsung screens both 2018 and 2019 series and not isolated to the Q8FN(US)/Q8DN(EU) model.

On another note I can recommend people use the 1260 update as it's fixed my issue with freesync in 4k 48-60hz finally! No issues with it any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3224 Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6770 Post(s)
Liked: 6778
Quote:
I'm looking to buy this tv sometime in the future. According to, well everyone the black level on this tv is supposed to be good. Obviously i don't expect it to be an oled and i am fine with some haloing or blooming around object as long as the tv doesn't have clouding or flashlightning into the black bars. To anyone who has this tv, is there any clouding or flashlightning on this tv when watching in a completly dark room?
Keep in mind these are on clearance, when they are gone, that's it. You will know when this is about to happen as the smoking deals will be gone and the price will rise right at the end....
post #3123 of 3224 Old 06-26-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any word on the latest update? good or bad? my tv asked me and i put it off till later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 3224 Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamelover5122 View Post
any word on the latest update? good or bad? my tv asked me and i put it off till later
If you have online it will update anyway on it's own , even if you tell it not to.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #3125 of 3224 Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
If you have online it will update anyway on it's own , even if you tell it not to.
i know, well anyways any word on if the latest is any good?
post #3126 of 3224 Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
i know, well anyways any word on if the latest is any good?

I don't know . Mines been offline and on 1153, since i got it last month.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #3127 of 3224 Old 06-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
On another note I can recommend people use the 1260 update as it's fixed my issue with freesync in 4k 48-60hz finally! No issues with it any more.

What kind of issues did you have wth freesync? I have the 4K+HDR freesync backlighting rolling bars (fixed changing gamemode on/off several times, some games don't fix at all), but nothing more aside that.
post #3128 of 3224 Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
The horizontal bars on 2.35 letterboxed content are very black, but the vertical bars on 4x3 pillarbox content are not nearly as black.
post #3129 of 3224 Old 06-28-2019, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Avoiding firmware updates via message notification system

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
If you are referring to the "Software update available" notification message box that may appear at random times in the upper-right area of the screen, I've found that the clickable options presented in that box are a bit deceiving. The first option, "update now," is self-explanatory -- the TV grabs the latest online firmware file, immediately reboots the TV, and the update is complete. The second option is the deceiving one, which is "update later," or words to that effect. "Update later" is not the same as "remind me later" -- clicking "update later" will update the firmware by grabbing the update file and installing it the next time the TV is powered on (part of the boot-up process). The only way to avoid updating the firmware entirely when the notification message appears is to click the third option, which is "more information" (or "more details," I don't recall the exact language), which then takes you to another screen where you are presented with a clickable "Do not update firmware" option. By clicking that option, the firmware will not be updated at next power cycle, although that may not prevent the "software update available" message from reappearing the next time a newer version is detected.
post #3130 of 3224 Old 06-28-2019, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srust View Post
The horizontal bars on 2.35 letterboxed content are very black, but the vertical bars on 4x3 pillarbox content are not nearly as black.
I also found this to be the case for windowboxed content -- the horizontal bars are jet black, whereas the vertical bars are a charcoal gray shade.
post #3131 of 3224 Old 06-28-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzess View Post
What kind of issues did you have wth freesync? I have the 4K+HDR freesync backlighting rolling bars (fixed changing gamemode on/off several times, some games don't fix at all), but nothing more aside that.

Basically it was broken/not broken every third time. Usually defaulted to broken mode. You usually had to do some "resets" of settings and connections on both TV/PC and hope the TV would set itself in the working mode. I think it's a software glitch on the TV getting confused and loosing track of what "mode" it was supposed to be in. Some kind of bug I guess.(it doesn't set everything correct for the gamemode all the time or other modes interlinked, it seems to get lost)

Basically it was a "loss of signal" issue when hz/fps was in the 48-50hz range when using freesync on PC in 4K when the TV got lost/confused. Made it unusable. But now it no longer loses signal so not a issue any more with 1260 firmware.

I haven't really seen others but me report on this issue but then I've not seen other PC users use freesync with this screen. Only Console and whatnot(more controlled limited variables).

Last edited by Nighthog; 06-28-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #3132 of 3224 Old 06-29-2019, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I updated to the new 1260 firmware...

Backlight dimming in game mode is still "broken", nothing close to what you get in regular movie mode. Basically your screen gets 4-5 zones of backlight control in game mode. Bloom hell.
This really sucks. The non game modes look much better imo, but the added lag makes games unplayable (to me).
Have you tried setting Local Dimming to Standard or Low?
post #3133 of 3224 Old 06-29-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 72
2018 Samsung FALD Q8FN Owners thread - No price talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerbw35 View Post
This really sucks. The non game modes look much better imo, but the added lag makes games unplayable (to me).

Have you tried setting Local Dimming to Standard or Low?

Been using my XB1 on standard mode for almost a year now and no issues. Never had a lag issue or need to try game mode. Maybe I’m missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #3134 of 3224 Old 06-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Been using my XB1 on standard mode for almost a year now and no issues. Never had a lag issue or need to try game mode. Maybe I’m missing something

Ah, ok. Gaming for 40+ years. I'm pretty sensitive to lag. It depends on the game of course. Fighting games, driving games, shmups, rhythm... All Unplayable to me outside of game mode. When I say "unplayable" I don't mean they can't be played, games just don't feel right and definitely lag.

A few games I did play outside of game mode because the picture quality is better and the lag didn't really effect the game (RPGs, Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4, some others).

You should give Game Mode a try and see if you notice any difference.
post #3135 of 3224 Old 06-30-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerbw35 View Post
Ah, ok. Gaming for 40+ years. I'm pretty sensitive to lag. It depends on the game of course. Fighting games, driving games, shmups, rhythm... All Unplayable to me outside of game mode. When I say "unplayable" I don't mean they can't be played, games just don't feel right and definitely lag.

A few games I did play outside of game mode because the picture quality is better and the lag didn't really effect the game (RPGs, Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4, some others).

You should give Game Mode a try and see if you notice any difference.

I have mostly just used "low" local dimming. Though to be honest I haven't seen the difference between low & standard.

I'm also quite used to have low lag monitors/screens but I have to say that "standard" picture mode when connected to PC game mode or not, there hardly is any difference(4K 60hz 4:4:4 RGB). Just a slight edge when you engage the game mode. I think the reviews also said only a few/couple ms difference anyway.

On the other hand Movie mode is really laggy with a lot of delay though it seems to give the best dimming and image. But I have to say I need to have 32-34ms audio delay when in 4K_24p mode for movies... Any other screen I've used didn't need any what so ever(50-60hz & 72hz pc monitors before I jumped on this 4K marvel).

I have to say that I like the "black frame insertion" in 24p 4K mode when watching movies/video. Does look great there, but adds a little latency if I recall.

HDR I've tried on Destiny 2 and FFXV on PC but it was kinda "beta" and I didn't probably set it up correct. Seemed to get inconsistent results with it each time I tried. (was 5-6 months back)

To be honest I 98% only use this for PC. A few occasions I've used the TV functionality.
post #3136 of 3224 Old 06-30-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I have mostly just used "low" local dimming. Though to be honest I haven't seen the difference between low & standard.

I'm also quite used to have low lag monitors/screens but I have to say that "standard" picture mode when connected to PC game mode or not, there hardly is any difference(4K 60hz 4:4:4 RGB). Just a slight edge when you engage the game mode. I think the reviews also said only a few/couple ms difference anyway.

On the other hand Movie mode is really laggy with a lot of delay though it seems to give the best dimming and image. But I have to say I need to have 32-34ms audio delay when in 4K_24p mode for movies... Any other screen I've used didn't need any what so ever(50-60hz & 72hz pc monitors before I jumped on this 4K marvel).

I have to say that I like the "black frame insertion" in 24p 4K mode when watching movies/video. Does look great there, but adds a little latency if I recall.

HDR I've tried on Destiny 2 and FFXV on PC but it was kinda "beta" and I didn't probably set it up correct. Seemed to get inconsistent results with it each time I tried. (was 5-6 months back)

To be honest I 98% only use this for PC. A few occasions I've used the TV functionality.
I also use "standard" picture mode when gaming, but the Game Mode is turned on in the External Device Manager settings. Set to Auto actually. It usually clicks in when I start gaming.

I haven't tried any movies running audio through an AVR. I retesting that there's lag in Movie mode. I usually watch the Netflix or Vudu app in Movie mode, but I have been using the TVs speakers. I need to try this too. Thanks for mentioning.

HDR seems hit or miss with gaming right now. Some games look amazing in HDR (Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4, Gran Turismo Sport, Forza Horizon 4), but some others aren't very impressive.
I haven't tried any PC HDR content yet. I don't think that I have any PC games that support HDR tbh.
post #3137 of 3224 Old 07-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Going to hook up my Oppo 203 to this. Anyone have any settings for the Oppo?
post #3138 of 3224 Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Has anyone used their q8fn as apc monitor for gaming? Why kind of performance can be expected from freesync and hdr?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #3139 of 3224 Old 07-06-2019, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has the brightness fluctuations that people were talking about earlier in this thread gone away? is there any other major concerns with this model when it comes to picture quality?
post #3140 of 3224 Old 07-09-2019, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3064 Post(s)
Liked: 3783
^I haven't noticed any brightness fluctuations, as far as concerns...if your new to samsung you might be playing around with color as it is cartoonish and not accurate...however if that doesn't bother you and you value pop then this is the set for you.
post #3141 of 3224 Old 07-09-2019, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^I haven't noticed any brightness fluctuations, as far as concerns...if your new to samsung you might be playing around with color as it is cartoonish and not accurate...however if that doesn't bother you and you value pop then this is the set for you.
Thank you.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #3142 of 3224 Old 07-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I'll agree with this. I've been having a bear of a time getting it dialed in, and I'm just not terribly impressed with the HDR performance in comparison to my C7, but this Q8 does make for a very good dedicated gaming display and over-sized PC monitor. Poor OOTB color performance aside, I'm more impressed with this than the 950G I briefly owned.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #3143 of 3224 Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3064 Post(s)
Liked: 3783
^great display for gaming for sure...even though I would consider myself a casual gamer I really appreciate the auto game mode feature!
Reflex-Arc likes this.
post #3144 of 3224 Old 07-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey Guys.

I'm looking to purchase a 55Q8FN... can anyone recommend a reputable place?

Thanks in advance,
Kareem

Last edited by x Spades x; 07-12-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #3145 of 3224 Old 07-12-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Spades x View Post
Hey Guys.

I'm looking to purchase a 55Q8FN... can anyone recommend a reputable place?

Thanks in advance,

Kareem

Amazon

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #3146 of 3224 Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Amazon

Thanks!! Would I be able to return, no questions asked, for 30 days (sorry, I've never purchased a tv from them)?

What are the chances that I get a TV with the 1153 firmware (I'll keep the tv offline)? I have the current 55Q80R and I'm just "meh" about it. I hear that Q8FN firmware is excellent.

Kareem
post #3147 of 3224 Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone else have an issue in the built-in Netflix app where everything in the menu's is way over saturated? Actual content likes great, but browsing through titles and previews looks bad - all the colors blown out, especially reds. I'm using most of rtings picture settings and hdr+ disabled. Everything else looks great so it seems like a Netflix issue rather than a TV/settings issue.
post #3148 of 3224 Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonation View Post
Anyone else have an issue in the built-in Netflix app where everything in the menu's is way over saturated? Actual content likes great, but browsing through titles and previews looks bad - all the colors blown out, especially reds. I'm using most of rtings picture settings and hdr+ disabled. Everything else looks great so it seems like a Netflix issue rather than a TV/settings issue.
Not seeing any of this with the Netflix app on my 65" Q8FN, sorry.
post #3149 of 3224 Old 07-15-2019, 01:58 PM

I hear there is a new firmware (1300), can anyone confirm? Does this get the picture back to 1153 levels?
post #3150 of 3224 Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Spades x View Post
I hear there is a new firmware (1300), can anyone confirm? Does this get the picture back to 1153 levels?
The latest firmware on the us site is 1260 from June 2019. Where did you hear about the be firmware?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page