2018 Samsung FALD Q8FN Owners thread - No price talk - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1559Likes

post #61 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1911
As a fellow x930e owner I can't agree with rene's assessment. Even with LD on high there is a lot of HDR content that results in blooming and light bleed into the black bars even with my bias lighting on. As I've said before I've learned to accept this shortcoming of the x930e compared to the OLED I had before it as the obvious uptick in nits on the x930e made up for it IMO.

Heck, even on SDR content on Netflix I can see obvious blooming into the black bars with the lights on in my room it's that obvious.

What I'm seeing and hearing about the Q8 sounds like a good step up in performance even if its nit measurements turn out to be the same as the x930e.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
It's not theory that a 200+ fald display with black bar shut off will look much better than a 72 zone tv where there are only 4 rows. It's pretty much a technical fact. Not trying to be rude or condescending with that, but the difference in zone count is just too massive to brush off to theory.
you are still basing your claims more on theory rather than a real world comparison thay im doing. zones alone dont define how good blacks are, zones is only one measure. with the pics posted few posts back, im really not seeing this 'too massive' difference which you are claiming, i dont see anything noticeably better on those shots than what i saw on uhd blu ray on the 930e. maybe some other content will show a noticeable difference?

and on the peak brightness which you claimed higher, googling q8f's peak brightness is leading me to 1500 nits peak brightness on the q8 and 2000 on the q9, the x930e is already around 1500, so there's no real advantage with the q8 there either.
post #63 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
i have seen passengers on uhd blu ray on the sony x930e (very sharp 4k blu ray) and the pictures this guy posted here of the q8 dont look noticeably better than the 930e, you can discount the handful of times light bleed occurs on the black bars on the x930e as i use a bias light in dark room and sit about 8 feet away, so there is negligible perception of any blooming. but the blacks and contrast in the pictures posted here dont look really different from the x930e, the colors look little more saturated on the q8 but kind of give an oversaturated feel on the whole which i dont prefer.
motion may be a toss up, it's subjective, i think the x930e's motion is still one of its strongest points, i dont see what the q8 may do 'better' in this aspect. as for upscaling, im being told by a q9f owner (on another forum) that sony's x1 xtreme processor (930e/940e/z9d) upscaling is still a little better than samsung on low quality content.
Keep in mind though, I'm also taking these pictures with a camera phone. Its kind of like watching a TV view clip on YouTube where are you looking at content of the TV, through the content Of the video you're actually viewing on YouTube if that makes sense. To me the pictures are actually watered down compared to what I actually saw on the TV. but if people are saying those pictures look really really good, imagine how it will actually be when you're actually viewing the content from the actual TV directly in front of you. To me it looked fantastic. Sharper, clearer image and smoother than the 930e. And I didn't use HDR+ for viewing yet.

But how I will see things will be different than how someone else will. and that goes for everyone individually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
So initial thoughts so far. I think with any set common sense dictates it really boils down to what you're willing to live with. Personally I feel the Q8 2018 is Samsung's response to Sony's 930E, Just in similar fashion the Q9 2018 is in response to Sony's Z9D ( Keep in mind though when the Z9D 1st released it was a third more expensive than what the Q9 of this year is releasing for).

To me the Samsung operating system is much more fluid than android TV, Even initial set up was completely easier by comparison. I do think the screen/viewing experience is significantly clearer than on the 930e. I would say smoother as well but that requires a little bit of explanation. Sony has the reputation for best motion interpolation out of the 3 main TV companies. But it also goes without saying that the Sony 930E, as well as the 940E and the Z9D had motion issues. Even though they sent a firmware update that help alleviate the majority of those issues, sometimes I could still see a little bit of stutter if not within the actors, then within the background. On the Samsung it is noticeably smoother for the majority of the experience... but sometimes I can see a little bit of stutter within the actors as well.

Upscaling on this TV is definitely a good thing in its favor. Almost OLED level blacks.... I still say that it's the closest I've seen an LCD LED TV get to OLED level contrast. Vibrancy of the colors do pop as promised with their quantum dots. And it takes a much wider angle than on the Sony before you start experiencing a little bit of degradation.

But as with all things with all people its what you feel you can live without regret as this is obviously an investment that will hopefully tide you over for more than a couple of years.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents so far
Your input has been invaluable and appreciated greatly.

So as a fellow x930e owner, would you have any hesitation recommending the Q8 to replace an x930e for someone looking for an overall noticeable improvement to the picture, especially HDR and controlling blooming and light bleed?

post #65 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
As a fellow x930e owner I can't agree with rene's assessment. Even with LD on high there is a lot of HDR content that results in blooming and light bleed into the black bars even with my bias lighting on. As I've said before I've learned to accept this shortcoming of the x930e compared to the OLED I had before it as the obvious uptick in nits on the x930e made up for it IMO.

Heck, even on SDR content on Netflix I can see obvious blooming into the black bars with the lights on in my room it's that obvious.

What I'm seeing and hearing about the Q8 sounds like a good step up in performance even if its nit measurements turn out to be the same as the x930e.

How far is your viewing distance, are you using a lighstrip around the edges of the tv, icluding top and bottom where the letterbox bars show up, is it set to 6500k and set at a comfortable brightness level for a dark room? a properly set up bias light can make a difference. as will your viewing distance. im a little over 8 feet away, neglibible bloom on the black bars i spotted on passengers uhd blu ray like 3 or 4 times during the movie, if you are relatively closer to the screen you will notice it more.
post #66 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 150
"negligible" isnt the same as "no bloom"
post #67 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How far is your viewing distance, are you using a lighstrip around the edges of the tv, icluding top and bottom where the letterbox bars show up, is it set to 6500k and set at a comfortable brightness level for a dark room? a properly set up bias light can make a difference. as will your viewing distance. im a little over 8 feet away, neglibible bloom on the black bars i spotted on passengers uhd blu ray like 3 or 4 times during the movie, if you are relatively closer to the screen you will notice it more.
I sit 6ft away from the 55" I have. And the light strips make an entire border around the TV.

As I said, I've even seen light bleed into the black bars during casual movie watching with the room lights on.

Another big plus for the Q8 is the anti reflective coating as the room I am moving into has a large sliding door near the TV that faces west where the sun shines very brightly in the evening.

post #68 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
A non owner starting a thread is start of that demise - for owners thread you should have at least the unit coming your way and you should be ready to contribute...
Well since it's apparent that nobody is mature enough to get over that, maybe some AVS moderator can just close the thread. I don't care who started it, I just want info about the Q8FN.

I'm done with this nonsense.
I did a zone count and came up with 210. Some say that it's supposed to be half of what the 2018 Q9 is. Picture contrast is fantastic! As you can see on BvS, the black bars stay inky black in spite of the uber bright explosions.

And the person who made this thread did so in the hopes of Q8 owners having a thread to share initial experience and info, and for potential owners to see what they could be getting and form their opinions. Just like in the Q9 2018 forum, they bring up the Z9D because that is the only other high dimming zone FALD set to compare to, along with OLED for dark contrast and clarity. Also included a gray uniformity shot
Can you please include 5% and 10% grey shots ???
post #69 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind though, I'm also taking these pictures with a camera phone. Its kind of like watching a TV view clip on YouTube where are you looking at content of the TV, through the content Of the video you're actually viewing on YouTube if that makes sense. To me the pictures are actually watered down compared to what I actually saw on the TV. but if people are saying those pictures look really really good, imagine how it will actually be when you're actually viewing the content from the actual TV directly in front of you. To me it looked fantastic. Sharper, clearer image and smoother than the 930e. And I didn't use HDR+ for viewing yet.

But how I will see things will be different than how someone else will. and that goes for everyone individually
I did say that..if those pictures are accurate..then it doesnt look anything noticeably better than the 930e. i dont know if it does or does not look better in person and i will never be able to see it and find out for myself..because..samsung has inexplicably made the Q8 an edge lit model for territories outside america.

Either way, im not really considering a samsung for an upgrade over the x930e. i'll be waiting for the sony z9f with the x1 ultimate chip, that would be a real upgrade over the tv i have.
post #70 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
@Damar1979

Thank you so much for all you've done with answering questions and posting screenshots. I'm sure I speak for everyone else when I say I really appreciate it.
All good! Just hoping it helps provide clarity somewhat into what this TV can do. And I'm also doing my best to learn as well From other people on here
post #71 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7283 Post(s)
Liked: 7320
Quote:
im not going by your theory based hypothesis, im simply judging the pictures the guy posted a few posts back of the passengers movie on his q8, they certainly dont stand out to me as looking noticeably better than the x930e, if they are accurate and the x930e essentially looks like a FALD once you turn its LD to medium or high, the 930e is not the conventional type 'edge lit' if you read about the slim backlight drive that sony employs on the 930e.
The bottom line is we are at two totally different price points here comparing a 930E and a 8QFN, about 40% more cost on the 8QFN on the street. In the end though, everyone has there own taste and some people may not be able to see the difference and even if they do see it the cost factor may not be worth it to that person. Both great sets for there own price points
post #72 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
Quote:
It's not theory that a 200+ fald display with black bar shut off will look much better than a 72 zone tv where there are only 4 rows. It's pretty much a technical fact. Not trying to be rude or condescending with that, but the difference in zone count is just too massive to brush off to theory.
you are still basing your claims more on theory rather than a real world comparison thay im doing. zones alone dont define how good blacks are, zones is only one measure. with the pics posted few posts back, im really not seeing this 'too massive' difference which you are claiming, i dont see anything noticeably better on those shots than what i saw on uhd blu ray on the 930e. maybe some other content will show a noticeable difference?

and on the peak brightness which you claimed higher, googling q8f's peak brightness is leading me to 1500 nits peak brightness on the q8 and 2000 on the q9, the x930e is already around 1500, so there's no real advantage with the q8 there either.
No, the jump from 70 to 200+ is absolutely not theory. I'm sorry to say but you're totally wrong here. The amount of blooming and light precision will be massively better on the q8 with that many more zones. That's not theory, it's technical fact. Now 3x zones doesn't necessarily mean 3x better PQ, but the improvement is not subtle and is a significant increase.

Now the brightness issue is a little more theory, because Sony's method peaks at 10% whereas Samsung peaks at 2% brightness, so sony could be brighter at 10% and Samsung is brighter at 2%. Mastering displays peak at 2% like Samsung does.

And of course there's also the local dimming algorithms at play, meaning with the Sony because it can't control light as precisely, it won't hit those brightness numbers as often because it doesn't have as good control of light ouput because of such a lower amount of zones.
post #73 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Maybe we could say that a really crappy implementation of 200 zones could look worse than a near perfect implementation of 70 zones and be at peace ...

Edit: I'm not implying the Q8FN has crappy implementation! Just a hypothetical situation.

Last edited by AnotherDude; 03-27-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #74 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Maybe we could say that a really crappy implementation of 200 zones could look worse than a near perfect implementation of 70 zones and be at peace ... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I can assure you there's nothing crappy about the 2018 fald qled local dimming algorithm.
post #75 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
No, the jump from 70 to 200+ is absolutely not theory. I'm sorry to say but you're totally wrong here. The amount of blooming and light precision will be massively better on the q8 with that many more zones. That's not theory, it's technical fact. Now 3x zones doesn't necessarily mean 3x better PQ, but the improvement is not subtle and is a significant increase.

Now the brightness issue is a little more theory, because Sony's method peaks at 10% whereas Samsung peaks at 2% brightness, so sony could be brighter at 10% and Samsung is brighter at 2%. Mastering displays peak at 2% like Samsung does.

And of course there's also the local dimming algorithms at play, meaning with the Sony because it can't control light as precisely, it won't hit those brightness numbers as often because it doesn't have as good control of light ouput because of such a lower amount of zones.
you are still humming the same tune, if you have a real world example of an actual piece of content which shows this 'too massive' difference on the q8 compared to the x930e, please post the pictures or video.

if im not seeing a real world difference, then it is a theory. it has to translate into a real world advantage, then it ceases to be a theory.

googling it, im not seeing a s-b-s comparison video of the sony x930e and q8f, if you do have a link then post it.
post #76 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can assure you there's nothing crappy about the 2018 fald qled local dimming algorithm.
Of course! I wasn't implying that at all, I was stating a hypothetical situation that might placate both sides
post #77 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
you are still humming the same tune, if you have a real world example of an actual piece of content which shows this 'too massive' difference on the q8 compared to the x930e, please post the pictures or video.

if im not seeing a real world difference, then it is a theory. it has to translate into a real world advantage, then it ceases to be a theory.

googling it, im not seeing a s-b-s comparison video of the sony x930e and q8f, if you do have a link then post it.
Can you please move your Sony pissing match to private messages and stop cluttering up a Samsung owner's thread? Once you own an Q8FN then please come back and tell us how it compares to your 930E, until then be a silent follower like so many others.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #78 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

The set is far too new for direct comparison examples -> given that you have one or the “better” 2017 sets and use a bias light to increase perceived black levels/contrast you probably won’t get a dramatic change in switching to a 2018 set. Your Sony will probably handle motion better, but be bested in overall PQ slightly or even noticeably without a bias light...Might be best to sit this year out and see what 2019 brings (HDMI 2.1? Micro leds?). Just my 2 cents.
post #79 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe we could say that a really crappy implementation of 200 zones could look worse than a near perfect implementation of 70 zones and be at peace ...

Edit: I'm not implying the Q8FN has crappy implementation! Just a hypothetical situation.
I've edited my post to avoid misinterpretation .
post #80 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3313
Has any owner posted a credible FALD zone count? If so I missed it.
post #81 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Has any owner posted a credible FALD zone count? If so I missed it.
Damar1979 posted 210 on the first page. He owns the TV.
post #82 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Quote:
So initial thoughts so far. I think with any set common sense dictates it really boils down to what you're willing to live with. Personally I feel the Q8 2018 is Samsung's response to Sony's 930E, Just in similar fashion the Q9 2018 is in response to Sony's Z9D ( Keep in mind though when the Z9D 1st released it was a third more expensive than what the Q9 of this year is releasing for).

To me the Samsung operating system is much more fluid than android TV, Even initial set up was completely easier by comparison. I do think the screen/viewing experience is significantly clearer than on the 930e. I would say smoother as well but that requires a little bit of explanation. Sony has the reputation for best motion interpolation out of the 3 main TV companies. But it also goes without saying that the Sony 930E, as well as the 940E and the Z9D had motion issues. Even though they sent a firmware update that help alleviate the majority of those issues, sometimes I could still see a little bit of stutter if not within the actors, then within the background. On the Samsung it is noticeably smoother for the majority of the experience... but sometimes I can see a little bit of stutter within the actors as well.

Upscaling on this TV is definitely a good thing in its favor. Almost OLED level blacks.... I still say that it's the closest I've seen an LCD LED TV get to OLED level contrast. Vibrancy of the colors do pop as promised with their quantum dots. And it takes a much wider angle than on the Sony before you start experiencing a little bit of degradation.

But as with all things with all people its what you feel you can live without regret as this is obviously an investment that will hopefully tide you over for more than a couple of years.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents so far
Your input has been invaluable and appreciated greatly.

So as a fellow x930e owner, would you have any hesitation recommending the Q8 to replace an x930e for someone looking for an overall noticeable improvement to the picture, especially HDR and controlling blooming and light bleed?

Well If anyone is nit picking that Dolby vision is a must have, no Samsung set will ever be for them. For me I think it's a step above the 930e. From the clarity and smoothness of content to the smoother Samsung interface, Honestly I just think the entire viewing experience is better. Leaps and bounds better? No. but is it a real noticeable improvement? yes

Would go as far as to say I wish the 930e would have performed like this. I would go as far as to say that I wish Sony would have been more innovative with their Tech this year like Samsung has been. To me Samsung knocked it out the park this year as this TV is a noticeable improvement

Last edited by Damar1979; 03-27-2018 at 10:22 AM.
post #83 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonrenk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
A non owner starting a thread is start of that demise - for owners thread you should have at least the unit coming your way and you should be ready to contribute...
Well since it's apparent that nobody is mature enough to get over that, maybe some AVS moderator can just close the thread. I don't care who started it, I just want info about the Q8FN.

I'm done with this nonsense.
I did a zone count and came up with 210. Some say that it's supposed to be half of what the 2018 Q9 is. Picture contrast is fantastic! As you can see on BvS, the black bars stay inky black in spite of the uber bright explosions.

And the person who made this thread did so in the hopes of Q8 owners having a thread to share initial experience and info, and for potential owners to see what they could be getting and form their opinions. Just like in the Q9 2018 forum, they bring up the Z9D because that is the only other high dimming zone FALD set to compare to, along with OLED for dark contrast and clarity. Also included a gray uniformity shot
Can you please include 5% and 10% grey shots ???
Not home to do a 5% but that's a 10% I took a couple of days ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20180325_165149_5384_1522170505623.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2381122  
post #84 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe we could say that a really crappy implementation of 200 zones could look worse than a near perfect implementation of 70 zones and be at peace ... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Agreed, that's why I said Samsung actually hit it out of the park with the Q8 and the Q9 (i can imagine) for this year
AnotherDude and srkmish like this.
post #85 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
im not going by your theory based hypothesis, im simply judging the pictures the guy posted a few posts back of the passengers movie on his q8, they certainly dont stand out to me as looking noticeably better than the x930e, if they are accurate and the x930e essentially looks like a FALD once you turn its LD to medium or high, the 930e is not the conventional type 'edge lit' if you read about the slim backlight drive that sony employs on the 930e.
The bottom line is we are at two totally different price points here comparing a 930E and a 8QFN, about 40% more cost on the 8QFN on the street. In the end though, everyone has there own taste and some people may not be able to see the difference and even if they do see it the cost factor may not be worth it to that person. Both great sets for there own price points[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
And that's why I said earlier in one of my posts different people will like different things. Keep in mind though when the 930e first released it was at the same price point that this Q8 is currently at now, lol And the Z9D was a 3rd more expensive (rather than the Q9 which is just under a G more than what the Q8 goes for). And you can get the 930e for just 2/3rds of its original cost. And you would be getting a remarkable TV for it for the price. Obviously not without its issues but that goes for any television. As for me personally I feel that the increase of what I spent to get this TV, for me, has been worth it because I like this TV more than I liked the 930e. Different things for different people. Not talking bad about about any product.... Just stating what's good for me
post #86 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Can you please move your Sony pissing match to private messages and stop cluttering up a Samsung owner's thread? Once you own an Q8FN then please come back and tell us how it compares to your 930E, until then be a silent follower like so many others.

-phil
At least its keeping him off the OLED threads

Now you get to experience what we've been putting up with for the past year.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #87 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 3269
Quote:
😂😂😂😂😂&#x1f 602;😂
Enjoying your impressions. While fewer dimming zones vs. the 9 have my attention until I see one in person, like others have said this could be a sleeper for 2018. Assuming this will be something that Costco will stock as well, so another plus for those of us who like their generous return policy and warranty extension. Only downside is the lack of DV, but by the time these start dropping in price maybe we will have a better idea about HDR10+. Samsung and LG do a good job with their OS too, much better than Sony's implementation of Android - for the record I own displays from all 3. I don't always feel like using the Roku or Apple TV.

Sorry if this was asked and answered, do these have DTVs RVU feature, I'm using that right now on my KS8000. Thanks.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #88 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Enjoying your impressions. While fewer dimming zones vs. the 9 have my attention until I see one in person, like others have said this could be a sleeper for 2018. Assuming this will be something that Costco will stock as well, so another plus for those of us who like their generous return policy and warranty extension. Only downside is the lack of DV, but by the time these start dropping in price maybe we will have a better idea about HDR10+. Samsung and LG do a good job with their OS too, much better than Sony's implementation of Android - for the record I own displays from all 3. I don't always feel like using the Roku or Apple TV.

Sorry if this was asked and answered, do these have DTVs RVU feature, I'm using that right now on my KS8000. Thanks.
What is RVU?
post #89 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

On board that the Q8N should easily be the better performer when it comes to dimming but as far as brightness is concerned the X930E does hit > 1000 nit peak brightness on a wide variety of HDR scenes (unlike the Q9F). And 2% lower than 10% is not a 'Sony thing': every Samsung before this Q9N, including the KS9800, has a a lower 2% peak brightness than 10% ...

Quote:

Pics look great . Just wondering if you cropped them or are you really getting that up close (black walls?) ? Would also be great if you could make a video with the zone counter running (preferably from a side angle of course ).

Last edited by mithras1; 03-27-2018 at 12:53 PM.
post #90 of 3325 Old 03-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Quote:

On board that the Q8N should easily be the better performer when it comes to dimming but as far as brightness is concerned the X930E does hit > 1000 nit peak brightness on a wide variety of HDR scenes (unlike the Q9F). And 2% lower than 10% is not a 'Sony thing': every Samsung before this Q9N, including the KS9800, has a a lower 2% peak brightness than 10% ...

Quote:

Pics look great [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]. Just wondering if you cropped them or are you really getting that up close? Would also be great if you could make a video with the zone counter running (preferably from a side angle of course [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]).
Js9500 had highest peak at 2%, can't speak for ks9800, but I assume the QLEDs did it because they were edge lit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page