2018 Samsung FALD Q8FN Owners thread - No price talk - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1545Likes

post #1861 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anybody have any release info on when the "82 inch model is coming out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckund1 View Post
Q8 came and I have to say I'm disappointed. I don't know if I've been spoiled by plasma but the motion on the Q8 is brutal. Debating switching to the 900F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Try changing auto motion to custom, put blur on 10, and then try moving judder up or down to a level you are comfortable (I prefer it up) . If that doesn't work, return it, because if you don't like something for that much money you should try something else. I have a Q9 but that made me happier when watching tennis.
Two things most plasma owners miss is motion and uniformity. With both OLED and LCD technology (hold instead of impulse motion) motion resolution is limited to 300 lines without the aide of motion interpolation or BFI.

I'm going to heed Keithian's advice when I get the 65Q8FN as motion resolution goes up to 1000 lines. If some combination of custom doesn't suite you then yes give the 900F a try. Most folks think Sony has the best motion video processing in that it has the least amount of motion artifacts with motion interpolation. And specific to the 900F (until the Z9F comes out) is that its BFI works with its dimming algorithm which results in a minimal amount of flicker and loss of light output.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)

Last edited by venus933; 08-04-2018 at 09:18 AM.
post #1863 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by THS89 View Post
I am very happy with my 75" Q8FN so far.

Best settings for calibrating ?

Look at the Q9FN settings thread. Seems like a lot more participate there with settings than in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 6568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elshmay View Post
i just bought the 65 inch q8fn and was wondering if anybody knows if its ok to angle the tv a bit to bring it down the stairs, i thought i could keep it level by the front person holding it head level at the bottom and the back guy holding it level to the steps by the handle on the box but ceiling is too low at the bottom i think. im sure its ok and this a stupid question but this the most i paid for a tv so i wanna be very cautious. another thing is about the legs, is it a must to lay the tv flat to put them on? i was thinking of having 2 people on each side holding it up straight and another person sliding them on, anything wrong with doing that?
You can tilt the TV any way you want including flat. Flat is bad though because the TV is its its most vulnerable point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post
Sure, you may need top off the LCD fluid if you spill some but it will be fine.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultimm View Post
Hopefully soon.......If you can't wait XBR-85X900F
post #1865 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
IMO you'll learn more about the differences from Katzmaier's reviews of the 900F and Q8FN
Excellent video. Researching the differences for friend who is having difficulties choosing between those two TVs. He has seen my 930e but really likes the Samsung brand. The great thing the two rtings guys do is break the features down into everyday usage which makes easier for non technical people who just want a great looking TV. I’ll send that over to him to watch.
post #1866 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Two things most plasma owners miss is motion and uniformity. With both OLED and LCD technology (hold instead of impulse motion) motion resolution is limited to 300 lines without the aide of motion interpolation or BFI.

I'm going to heed Keithian's advice when I get the 65Q8FN as motion resolution goes up to 1000 lines. If some combination of custom doesn't suite you then yes give the 900F a try. Most folks think Sony has the best motion video processing in that it has the least amount of motion artifacts with motion interpolation. And specific to the 900F (until the Z9F comes out) is that its BFI works with its dimming algorithm which results in a minimal amount of flicker and loss of light output.
Content via Apple TV looks great. Cable TV and live sports look pretty bad though. Unfortunately, that’s what I watch 95% of the time.
post #1867 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultimm View Post
My dealer here in Canada said September.
post #1868 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownasgyates11 View Post
Excellent video. Researching the differences for friend who is having difficulties choosing between those two TVs. He has seen my 930e but really likes the Samsung brand. The great thing the two rtings guys do is break the features down into everyday usage which makes easier for non technical people who just want a great looking TV. I’ll send that over to him to watch.
Well, I think it's an excellent video for what it demonstrated visually but the commentary good have been better

1) The Samsung has a better native contrast ratio which is not made any less significant by local dimming. Although it will never be mistaken for an OLED you should notice a difference from the 900F with a star field.
2) The Samsung has notably better effective contrast. The reason I suspect there are some scenes where the secular highlights are brighter on the Sony is because the Samsung is prioritizing preserving black levels over blowing them out with highlights. I suspect there would also be examples where the Samsung has just as bright highlights if not brighter.
3) The Sony has better gradient banding even without engaging the smooth gradation feature.
4) The BFI feature on the Sony is actually good enough to utilize

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #1869 of 3206 Old 08-04-2018, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckund1 View Post
Content via Apple TV looks great. Cable TV and live sports look pretty bad though. Unfortunately, that’s what I watch 95% of the time.
I assumed you played around with the custom settings so I guess you should exchange it for the 900F. Of course there's the chance you won't be any happier with the 900F if you're used to Plasma motion. Perhaps you can put some test content on a thumb drive and test it out on a 900F store display. Hopefully a store employee will let you have access to a remote if you don't have a Harmony remote.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #1870 of 3206 Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What are people's thoughts on the functionality of the HDR+ setting? so far I , this coming from a newbie, had to disable it due to the darkness and kind of smudgy look it gave me. what is the best application of this setting? also coming from a plasma i am trying to get use to the motion difference. Overall extremely happy with the unit. I am also trying bias lighting. what ate your thoughts on color for bias? Any preferences, or should it be white?

65" Samsung Q8FN, Yamaha TSR-7810 5.1.2 Atmos, Polk speakers, Xbox one S, Roku ultra, Logitech Harmony
post #1871 of 3206 Old 08-06-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slcsquirrel View Post
What are people's thoughts on the functionality of the HDR+ setting? so far I , this coming from a newbie, had to disable it due to the darkness and kind of smudgy look it gave me. what is the best application of this setting? also coming from a plasma i am trying to get use to the motion difference. Overall extremely happy with the unit. I am also trying bias lighting. what ate your thoughts on color for bias? Any preferences, or should it be white?
All I can say is I truly dislike bias lighting. I tried it and couldn't stand it. Give me a very dark room, please .

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205, Radiance 2043
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #1872 of 3206 Old 08-06-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What are you guys experience with blooming? Ive tried tinkering with settings but fundamentally it seems to me like there is blooming, which is strange as many report its not an issue. Sometimes the black bars lights up in movies, typical black test videos brighten up in dark areas around objects or even logos and end credits have slight halo/bloom effects around the words. Noone else getting this?
post #1873 of 3206 Old 08-06-2018, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just got my 75Q8FN on Saturday. However, I don't see any blooming and this is after watching Olympics in 4K, Lost in Space on Netflix and many, many other programs. The only other setting I have modified, beyond what I talk about below, was the Local Dimming: I have that set to the highest setting. I am trying to find a show that effectively shows a bloom... but I personally can't see it. That's not to say it's not existent... but for me, I can't see it on any black bars. What sold me was the Opening Ceremony on the Olympics, when it's black but for the swirling white dots. It looked unreal. Honestly, the blacks look really crisp and inky to my eyes. After reading a few people's thoughts/opinions on this set, I was prepared for the worst... expecting to be pleasantly surprised. In actuality, I'm blown away. The biggest issue that I have (and I knew I would have) would be the juddery motions. Coming from Plasma... both my wife and I notice it. However, it's not horrible to either of us and I don't think there's a 'perfect' TV out there that would fix everything: without having to spend tens of thousands of dollars to purchase it. I know the Sony's tend to be better in this regard... but I like the 'pop' of color from the Qled line... that and my wife liked this set more as well. I have to please her too, lol. After a few settings being tinkered with (mainly on the MotionPlus menu), I can honestly say I am very, very pleased with this set and the judderyness is becoming less noticeable. Would I have loved to upgrade to the 75Q9FN? Or X900F... maybe. But I don't feel like I am missing out on too much.
sk373 likes this.
post #1874 of 3206 Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkieJZ View Post
I just got my 75Q8FN on Saturday. However, I don't see any blooming and this is after watching Olympics in 4K, Lost in Space on Netflix and many, many other programs. The only other setting I have modified, beyond what I talk about below, was the Local Dimming: I have that set to the highest setting. I am trying to find a show that effectively shows a bloom... but I personally can't see it. That's not to say it's not existent... but for me, I can't see it on any black bars. What sold me was the Opening Ceremony on the Olympics, when it's black but for the swirling white dots. It looked unreal. Honestly, the blacks look really crisp and inky to my eyes. After reading a few people's thoughts/opinions on this set, I was prepared for the worst... expecting to be pleasantly surprised. In actuality, I'm blown away. The biggest issue that I have (and I knew I would have) would be the juddery motions. Coming from Plasma... both my wife and I notice it. However, it's not horrible to either of us and I don't think there's a 'perfect' TV out there that would fix everything: without having to spend tens of thousands of dollars to purchase it. I know the Sony's tend to be better in this regard... but I like the 'pop' of color from the Qled line... that and my wife liked this set more as well. I have to please her too, lol. After a few settings being tinkered with (mainly on the MotionPlus menu), I can honestly say I am very, very pleased with this set and the judderyness is becoming less noticeable. Would I have loved to upgrade to the 75Q9FN? Or X900F... maybe. But I don't feel like I am missing out on too much.
Why would the 900F be an upgrade, did you mean the 940E? Oh, congrats on your new TV!

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #1875 of 3206 Old 08-06-2018, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I should have clarified that part a bit better... as I was really trying to convey, would I have been happier with Sony's handling of motion better, compared to the Q8. The Q9 was the true 'upgrade' I was referring to. I realize it's a little confusing, sorry.
post #1876 of 3206 Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkieJZ View Post
I should have clarified that part a bit better... as I was really trying to convey, would I have been happier with Sony's handling of motion better, compared to the Q8. The Q9 was the true 'upgrade' I was referring to. I realize it's a little confusing, sorry.

No problem, yeah the 900F is supposed to be great with motion

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #1877 of 3206 Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So people with the dimming issue. Is this more prone to the 55/65" sets or does the 75" suffer from this as well? I'm seriously considering the 75" version but this issue has me a little worried.
post #1878 of 3206 Old 08-07-2018, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopdek2 View Post
What are you guys experience with blooming? Ive tried tinkering with settings but fundamentally it seems to me like there is blooming, which is strange as many report its not an issue. Sometimes the black bars lights up in movies, typical black test videos brighten up in dark areas around objects or even logos and end credits have slight halo/bloom effects around the words. Noone else getting this?
The 65" has only 40 zones. Use low or standard for local dimmimg witj a backlight <30 if you want no bloom. Also i would reccomend raising brightness from 0 as zero crushes and to me it creates bloom because the screen is much darker that should be / also you can lower gamma for deeper blacks. Theres little things you can do to help the bloom and almost get rid of it all together but keep in mind the 65" has only 40 zones while the 75" has 240.
post #1879 of 3206 Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macleod52 View Post
So people with the dimming issue. Is this more prone to the 55/65" sets or does the 75" suffer from this as well? I'm seriously considering the 75" version but this issue has me a little worried.
I have had my 75" Q8 for a couple of weeks now watching 4k movies, ota programming, netflix cartoons and Sling TV via a Roku. The only blooming I noticed was during a couple of dark scenes in Transformers: Age of Extinction. The feed was from Sling TV. Quality? I was not watching the movie 100% so there might have been more. The brightness the the picture may be keeping me from seeing more subtle blooming. I am coming from a edge lit 65" Samsung KS9000 (rest in peace) so the Q8 is an upgrade.
post #1880 of 3206 Old 08-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by esosa17237 View Post
The 65" has only 40 zones. Use low or standard for local dimmimg witj a backlight <30 if you want no bloom. Also i would reccomend raising brightness from 0 as zero crushes and to me it creates bloom because the screen is much darker that should be / also you can lower gamma for deeper blacks. Theres little things you can do to help the bloom and almost get rid of it all together but keep in mind the 65" has only 40 zones while the 75" has 240.
Hate to beat a dead horse, but someone officially confirmed that the 75" Q8FN has 240 zones?
post #1881 of 3206 Old 08-07-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12609 Post(s)
Liked: 11808
Quote:
Originally Posted by o 1NK o View Post
Hate to beat a dead horse, but someone officially confirmed that the 75" Q8FN has 240 zones?

Not that I seen. As far as I remember it's confirmed at 40 still, via counting and the service menu.
venus933 and Glammer19 like this.
post #1882 of 3206 Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Not that I seen. As far as I remember it's confirmed at 40 still, via counting and the service menu.
That's what I thought. Samsung really shot themselves in the foot by even mentioning 240 zones in the first place!
post #1883 of 3206 Old 08-07-2018, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I refused shipment of a 65Q8FN today as the back panel had a good size scuff mark and it looked the TV was already unpackaged and then put back. I'm so glad I inspected the TV due to the carton being banged up a bit. Pretty damn bummed right now. I guess it'll be a bit longer before I become an owner. Hopefully there will be another sale happening soon.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #1884 of 3206 Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Review: Samsung Q8FN (Q8DN)

The model across the pond has a nicer remote - what we had last year.

"Initially, Samsung had planned to launch this full array local dimming (FALD) version of Q8 in the US only but it the company later changed its stance and introduced it in Europe, too. The decision means that Samsung will actually offer three versions of Q8 in Europe: 1. The Q8DN with FALD that we are reviewing, 2. The Q8FN, which is a flat edge-lit LCD TV, and 3. The Q8CN, which is a curved edge-lit LCD TV. We should emphasize that this review applies only to the FALD version of Q8, which is (confusingly) named Q8FN in the US and Q8DN in Europe."

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #1885 of 3206 Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 AM

Watched Alien Covenant (4K) last night which has lots of dark scenes. No picture issues except the star fields in the background of the Covenant were much grayer than the letterbox zones. I watched with subtitles and if there was blooming around the lettering I did not notice it. I have my brightness set at 25, autodimming set to high.
post #1886 of 3206 Old 08-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Sound and Vision reviewed the Q8 (65") in their August Newsletter. The settings they used post-calibration are listed.
venus933 likes this.
post #1887 of 3206 Old 08-08-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
2018 Samsung FALD Q8FN Owners thread - No price talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry999 View Post
Sound and Vision reviewed the Q8 (65") in their August Newsletter. The settings they used post-calibration are listed.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ra-hdtv-review

Settings

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...eview-settings

They don't really specify if these are SDR or HDR settings, and seem kind of basic IMO. Any others try them?
venus933 and FrostByteLXV like this.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN

Last edited by bodean; 08-09-2018 at 02:27 PM.
post #1888 of 3206 Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anyone had issues with the HLG 4k hdr channel on directv? when switching from a non 4k channel to the 4k channel the screen blacks which i expect for settings to change, but after the screen comes back occasionally i get a directv pop up saying my tv does not support 4k. when i check the resolution it is in 1080 until i turn off and then back on the tv, and reset the resolution in the directv settings to 4k.

65" Samsung Q8FN, Yamaha TSR-7810 5.1.2 Atmos, Polk speakers, Xbox one S, Roku ultra, Logitech Harmony
post #1889 of 3206 Old 08-11-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi folks

I have a 55” version of the Q8FN. When watching Netflix HDR content, should I set HDR+ to on?

Are there any scenarios that I should consider setting HDR+ to on?

Many thanks!

(Ps I couldn’t find a clear answer to this through searching)?

Sony 65A8F OLED
Samsung 55Q8FN QLED
Def Tech SC2000 Subwoofer
post #1890 of 3206 Old 08-11-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpetrov View Post
Hi folks

I have a 55” version of the Q8FN. When watching Netflix HDR content, should I set HDR+ to on?

Are there any scenarios that I should consider setting HDR+ to on?

Many thanks!

(Ps I couldn’t find a clear answer to this through searching)?
It's a preference like all the modes and/ or if somebody feels they need to calibrate or not. Just try it on the picture mode you like. If you don't like it, uncheck it. Just go with whatever looks good to you.
mrpetrov and tonyjspr9 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page