2018 Samsung FALD Q8FN Owners thread - No price talk - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1551Likes

post #2401 of 3267 Old 12-12-2018, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Busch View Post
I purchased a QN65Q8FN during black Friday, and just recently had it delivered. So far most everything seems to be working fine, but I have run into one issue. On two different occasions, the screen has refused to turn on when I turn on the TV. I'm able to hear sound from my soundbar, and I can hear feedback from the remote, but the screen remains completely blank. If I physically unplug the power cord and plug it back in the picture comes back. Has anyone else seen something like this?
I had this happen again this morning. I was using my Xbox to turn on the TV, which is set to up to send a discrete On/Off using remote code T2051 which was auto-detected during the setup process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 3267 Old 12-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Busch View Post
I had this happen again this morning. I was using my Xbox to turn on the TV, which is set to up to send a discrete On/Off using remote code T2051 which was auto-detected during the setup process.

That is odd. You might want to trouble shoot by turning off any ARC/CEC functions and disabling the turn on to last app function and see if this persists. Does the red LED "TV off" indicator under the TV go out when you turn on the TV from another device?
post #2403 of 3267 Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
I'm going to be honest here: We had a little kid put his grimmy hands on our 2018 Q8F. I was not happy. So, I used one of my microfiber clothes and a tiny bit of water to attempt to get it off. All it did was flatten and expand the oil. After all, oil and water don't mix. So, I put a tiny dot of Dawn liquid dish soap (non abrasive) on my cloth, rubbed it into the cloth and wiped down the screen where the oil was. Dawn liquid soap is meant to cut through oil and grease. After that, I went back with the part of the cloth that was a little damp (no soap). Finally, I followed that up by drying with a dry microfiber cloth to remove any deposits left by the water.

The screen looked brand new after that. The key is to not use too much water or too much soap. A little bit goes a long way. And be sure to wipe dry. Do not let it air dry. Soft microfiber cloths only. Don't use cotton as it will scratch. I learned this in my car detailing days.

Good luck!
It can be a bear sometimes to get streak free, patients helps out for sure.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 3267 Old 12-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithoman View Post
this is for the 82" folks... when you got your TV, did it have the protective film across the entire screen that you peel off?
Mine didn't
lithoman likes this.
post #2405 of 3267 Old 12-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here you go... greatest thing since toilet paper... all I use, it just works!!!
OK...so I decided to give this a shot. I saw that it was all natural and thought that it can't be that good. I think all natural=compromise.

Holy moly. This stuff works. My 82Q8FN had a big palmprint from where my wife grabbed it when she helped me mount it. I could not get that palm print off.
This stuff took it out immediately.

Went through all of my screens. (I have over 20 LCD TVs). It even worked on my projection screen. I ended up doing my computer monitors and laptop screens.
lithoman and sether01 like this.
post #2406 of 3267 Old 12-13-2018, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoT View Post
OK...so I decided to give this a shot. I saw that it was all natural and thought that it can't be that good. I think all natural=compromise.

Holy moly. This stuff works. My 82Q8FN had a big palmprint from where my wife grabbed it when she helped me mount it. I could not get that palm print off.
This stuff took it out immediately.

Went through all of my screens. (I have over 20 LCD TVs). It even worked on my projection screen. I ended up doing my computer monitors and laptop screens.

I told you... Glad I could help.. it works!!
post #2407 of 3267 Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Help with HDR

I am reposting this to see if I can get new eyes on my question...

I am looking for some help.

I just bought an UN65NU8000 and an QN82Q8FN. Both are having the exact same problem(s) and right now my frustration level with Samsung is through the roof.

They cannot display HDR content unless I manually intervene.

On the UN65NU8000 I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301 receiver
and the QN82Q8FN has an Onkyo TX-RZ720 receiver

They each have a Sony UBX-P700 UHD Player, Roku Ultra and DirecTV HR24-500 DVR . When I change the A/V receiver to one of those UHD devices, HDR does not show. Only UHD. IF, I turn the TV off and then back on, I can get HDR. Just the turning the TV off/on, nothing else.

In addition, if I have HDMI UHD Color turned ON, I get no sound from my DirecTV receiver. I was able to get around this on the Pioneer receiver as it has some HDMI inputs which are not HDCP2.2. If I plug my DirecTV receiver into one of those NON-HDCP2.2 inputs, I can get sound with HDMI UHD Color turned on. My Onkyo receiver has HDCP2.2 on all of its inputs, so if I want sound I must turn off HDMI UHD Color. Gggrrrrr!!!! What is this setting anyways?

Also, at some point both of those A/V receivers (Pioneer Elite and Onkyo) were connected to a 2 year old LG 75UH8500. I had exactly zero issues with that set and HDR. It just worked.

Is anyone else having issues? Is there a fix? I can't imagine I am alone as this is happening on both of my new Samsung sets.

Thanks,
post #2408 of 3267 Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Welcome to the Smart world . I use the TV just for display with a programmable dumb remote (I keep the Smart Hub reset) and use the HDMI control codes exclusively to select disc or satellite image. TV audio only from the TV antenna channels, in case the apocalypse shows up ... disc and satellite audio straight to the preamp. I like dumb devices
TheChadd likes this.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro
Win 10 Pro x64 1909
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v21.0.0 - 10/26/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #2409 of 3267 Old 12-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Welcome to the Smart world . I use the TV just for display with a programmable dumb remote (I keep the Smart Hub reset) and use the HDMI control codes exclusively to select disc or satellite image. TV audio only from the TV antenna channels, in case the apocalypse shows up ... disc and satellite audio straight to the preamp. I like dumb devices
Amen. I cannot stand the operating system on these new Samsungs. I don't want you to do anything other than display the signal being fed to you. How is it that a setting on the TV (HDMI UHD Color) can cause my receiver to not output sound? This dumbfounds me. The receiver is before the TV on the chain.
TheChadd likes this.
post #2410 of 3267 Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

And to add insult to injury, this is the response I got back from Samsung.

"I thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support, I have gone through your email about playing HDR content on TV. I am eager to help you out with this.

I see that UN65NU8000, QN82Q8FN are compatible to play HDR content on TV. TV is just a displaying unit, the content your are playing also should be in HDR. There won’t be any message displayed on the TV about the content played. If you are still unable to view the HDR content follow the below step to see whether it works. "

The steps below were how to update firmware.

What a complete waste. Also, he is wrong about nothing being displayed on the TV. Hitting the select button shows a little HDR icon (and an UHD icon) when HDR is working.

I need to figure out how to get up a level of support at Samsung. It is unacceptable to me that on a $5,000 set I have to turn the tv on/off in order to get HDR to work. Especially since my 2 year old LGs do it without a hitch (as well as DolbyVision but we won't go there )
post #2411 of 3267 Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Is it true that the q8fn does get much much brighter than what vincent and rtubgs say?

post #2412 of 3267 Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Go read forbes review
post #2413 of 3267 Old 12-14-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 72
New FW is live to download via TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #2414 of 3267 Old 12-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
New FW is live to download via TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not in Nashville, TN... 1153 current version .. says I have the newest update?
post #2415 of 3267 Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esosa17237 View Post
Go read forbes review
Okay I give... who is Forbes and where can I find his review?
post #2416 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Cheung View Post
Order my Q8FN 82" and is coming December 8th, cant wait. Have been with Quantum Dot Tech screen for last 2 yrs, 65" KS8500 & 55" KS800. Loves the screen . But I am a little disappointed that Q8FN dont have the one connect box.

I bought the Q8 because I wanted to stay away from the One Connect....Single Point of Failure!!!
If you search through the threads you will find where several people have had issues with theirs and had to get them replaced.
post #2417 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
So I wonder if they're giving up on HDR10+ and just going to support DV. I would love to see what DV looks like on my 65" Q8F. Of course, Samsung would need to update the their line of UHD BD players to support DV as well.

Yes. In movie mode, at least for me, the dimming issues are non-existent. I'd like to see a new firmware update that fixes this issue for all modes, but I'm not sure if it can be rectified or not since preview firmware updates were released to address the issues and it didn't really resolve anything. I'm not really going to judge anything until Denon releases a firmware update and Samsung releases their next firmware update. I'm giving everyone one more chance to resolve these issues.

Yeah, mine is restarting very often when playing the PS4 Pro. As soon as the screen goes black, I have to hurry up and pause the game until the picture comes back up. It's annoying, but I know they'll HAVE to fix this issue quickly.

Glad that they have already identified the issues internally on all accounts.

And what did they say regarding Dolby Vision?

Yes. It's definitely a Denon issue. So ready for this firmware update that they've delayed. If they delay again, I'm calling and asking to speak with the person in charge of this firmware update.

All of my external devices support it. Roku Premium + and Ultra, PS4 Pro, Samsung UHD BD player...Not sure what you're referring to.

Exactly! There's plenty of devices that support HDR.

Yep.
Please explain!

For surround sound, you would need to use eARC from the TV to the AVR. That's what I am doing right now and it works great!

Are you saying the Q8 has eARC????

Please tell me that I'm NOT misunderstanding this and it's on the Q8 and working!!!!
post #2418 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 03:24 AM

Possibility of eARC Update on the Q8.

I have seen some AVRs that have been upgraded to eARC that didn't have HDMI 2.1.

Is there a possibility that the Q8 may get an update to enable eARC?

(someone please tell me it's coming to the Q8!!)
post #2419 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post
I have seen some AVRs that have been upgraded to eARC that didn't have HDMI 2.1.

Is there a possibility that the Q8 may get an update to enable eARC?

(someone please tell me it's coming to the Q8!!)
Why would Samsung do that?? They want you to go buy the Q8fo when it comes out next year....
post #2420 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Go read forbes review
Okay I give... who is Forbes and where can I find his review?
Google "q8fn forbes review"
post #2421 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Anyone familliar with the proccess replacing panel. My q8 was serviced and i did get a new panel but the color isnt as rich as my old set and i notice a bit more grain. The technican that repaired the tv had the box in my living room and looking over the box i saw a receipt for the panel costing $1200. How do we know what panel and who is the maker ? My q8 was a FA02 and it had a clean image and colors seemed richer. Anyone who had a panel replaced by samsung would love to hear your opinions on this subject
post #2422 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Is it true that the q8fn does get much much brighter than what vincent and rtubgs say?
It pains me that this individual's videos appear on this thread. Notice how he blocks anyone who disagrees with him?

Sure, the Q8FN can get brighter in dynamic picture mode but most reviewers/calibrators do measurements in the most accurate picture mode (I know he inferred he was using the movie mode). Also, peak brightness isn't sustain in dynamic and standard modes while it's sustained in movie mode (1200-1400 nits). John Archer/Forbes missed this in his review. In the case of Vincent's review his peak brightness measurements were after calibration.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)

Last edited by venus933; 12-15-2018 at 05:11 PM.
post #2423 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Quote:
It pains me that this individual's videos appear on this thread. Notice how he blocks anyone who disagrees with him?

Sure, the Q8FN can get brighter in Vivid picture mode but most reviewers/calibrators do measurements in the most accurate picture mode (I know he inferred he was using the movie mode). Also, peak brightness isn't sustain in vivid and standard modes while it's sustained in movie mode (1200-1400 nits). John Archer/Forbes missed this in his review. In the case of Vincent's review his peak brightness measurements were after calibration.
The average consumer doesnt calibrate. Average buyer just chooses a picture mode. In a mode like hdr me personally i want more brightness. To call something "peak" means thats its brightest. It is misleading
post #2424 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The average consumer doesnt calibrate. Average buyer just chooses a picture mode. In a mode like hdr me personally i want more brightness. To call something "peak" means thats its brightest. It is misleading
Well Okay then. To the extent anyone does any research they'll be advised to use the most accurate picture mode.

But to your point Katzmaier/cnet in his 65Q8FN review did list the peak brightness from the dynamic picture mode. However he measured 1585 nits from the recommended movie picture mode.

"HDR Notes: Once again Movie mode delivered the most accurate HDR image, but as mentioned in the review it was significantly dimmer than what I measured in Dynamic -- 1585 nits compared to nearly 2388. Anybody who cares about image quality, however, should use Movie instead. Its EOTF was admirably accurate and it measured an impressive 98% of the DCI-P3 color gamut, short of only the LG OLED among TV's I've measured this year"

Also, I would say Vincent Teoh's video reviews are targeted more towards the video enthusiast who presumably are more interested in the peak brightness from proper saturated and luminance levels.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase

Last edited by venus933; 12-15-2018 at 06:28 PM.
post #2425 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys! Can anyone help me with the best game mode options for PS4 Pro?

By default it set to Low Contrast Enchnacer and Color Space Naitive but from my KS9000 days I remember reading to have the enhancer off and color space set to auto. Any recommendations?
post #2426 of 3267 Old 12-15-2018, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

Sure, the Q8FN can get brighter in dynamic picture mode but most reviewers/calibrators do measurements in the most accurate picture mode (I know he inferred he was using the movie mode). Also, peak brightness isn't sustain in dynamic and standard modes while it's sustained in movie mode (1200-1400 nits). John Archer/Forbes missed this in his review. In the case of Vincent's review his peak brightness measurements were after calibration.
He showed movie mode later though?

Also, I checked one of the 2017 RTINGS review where it's mentioned that Samsung 2017 tvs might actually be out of spec due to shipping problems.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/qled-q7f-q7

We improved the TV's brightness by realigning the light guide plates by dropping the TV, as shown in this video. The brightness increased a bit, by 30-100 cd/m², at the cost of worse uniformity. The brightness scores have been updated, and an updated brightness plot is shown here.

We have contacted Samsung, and they say that our unit is out of spec due to the relatively low peak brightness measurements. We will continue to investigate and update the review as we obtain more information.

Update 03/10/2017: We've ordered another unit. We will test it, verify the results and update the review.

Update 03/15/2017: We bought another Q7F from Amazon and measured the viewing angle, contrast and brightness of this new TV. All of these results are in the same ballpark as our original findings.

I wonder if Sammy is also doing that internal panel lottery still.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...l-review-notes

Update 06/22/2017: Samsung got back to us regarding their investigation:

"The result of the investigation into the lower peak brightness found on the 55Q7 sample by Rtings.com is;
Damage to the sample in shipping resulted in a lowered peak brightness. The damage effected the performance of the light guide plate, and this lowered peak brightness by 33%. (the sample picked by Rtings offers 782 nits, when measured based on 10% window peak luminance. An actual figure according to measurement by Samsung is 1160 nits.) Due to the defect caused by the damage, the product fails to meet the specification standard and its peak brightness was compromised."

It is hard to know how widespread the issue is, but our 2 units that we bought, shipped weeks apart, were affected by this. Therefore, you should expect a variance of brightness on the Q7F depending on how smooth the shipping/distribution went with your unit. This variance of brightness may not be noticeable to the average consumer however, unless you put them side by side.

Also worth noting that even with the numbers of expected brightness that Samsung provided, it wouldn't affect significantly our overall scores (you can check our scoring formula by clicking next to one of our ratings/tests, or you can also check our review of the Samsung Q9F which is similar but brighter), so it doesn't affect our recommendations since with the current price, it isn't competitive and falls short of other TVs.

Update 07/05/2017: We improved the TV's brightness by realigning the light guide plates by dropping the TV, as shown in this video. The brightness increased a bit, by 30-100 cd/m², at the cost of worse uniformity. The brightness scores have been updated, and an updated brightness plot is shown here.

WTF
post #2427 of 3267 Old 12-16-2018, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He showed movie mode later though?

Also, I checked one of the 2017 RTINGS review where it's mentioned that Samsung 2017 tvs might actually be out of spec due to shipping problems.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/qled-q7f-q7

We improved the TV's brightness by realigning the light guide plates by dropping the TV, as shown in this video. The brightness increased a bit, by 30-100 cd/m², at the cost of worse uniformity. The brightness scores have been updated, and an updated brightness plot is shown here.

We have contacted Samsung, and they say that our unit is out of spec due to the relatively low peak brightness measurements. We will continue to investigate and update the review as we obtain more information.

Update 03/10/2017: We've ordered another unit. We will test it, verify the results and update the review.

Update 03/15/2017: We bought another Q7F from Amazon and measured the viewing angle, contrast and brightness of this new TV. All of these results are in the same ballpark as our original findings.

I wonder if Sammy is also doing that internal panel lottery still.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...l-review-notes

Update 06/22/2017: Samsung got back to us regarding their investigation:

"The result of the investigation into the lower peak brightness found on the 55Q7 sample by Rtings.com is;
Damage to the sample in shipping resulted in a lowered peak brightness. The damage effected the performance of the light guide plate, and this lowered peak brightness by 33%. (the sample picked by Rtings offers 782 nits, when measured based on 10% window peak luminance. An actual figure according to measurement by Samsung is 1160 nits.) Due to the defect caused by the damage, the product fails to meet the specification standard and its peak brightness was compromised."

It is hard to know how widespread the issue is, but our 2 units that we bought, shipped weeks apart, were affected by this. Therefore, you should expect a variance of brightness on the Q7F depending on how smooth the shipping/distribution went with your unit. This variance of brightness may not be noticeable to the average consumer however, unless you put them side by side.

Also worth noting that even with the numbers of expected brightness that Samsung provided, it wouldn't affect significantly our overall scores (you can check our scoring formula by clicking next to one of our ratings/tests, or you can also check our review of the Samsung Q9F which is similar but brighter), so it doesn't affect our recommendations since with the current price, it isn't competitive and falls short of other TVs.

Update 07/05/2017: We improved the TV's brightness by realigning the light guide plates by dropping the TV, as shown in this video. The brightness increased a bit, by 30-100 cd/m², at the cost of worse uniformity. The brightness scores have been updated, and an updated brightness plot is shown here.

WTF
There is no correlation between the 2018 FALD Q8FN and the 2017 Edge-lit Q7F that had an issue with the light guides being out of alignment. I recommend that you read the reviews I linked in the second post of this thread and then decide how much credence you should give to the individual who doesn't want you to be fooled by them.
Thrust-Bot likes this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #2428 of 3267 Old 12-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I'm experiencing a problem with my qnf8 65 in. When using PlayStation Pro in game mode sometimes the screen will go black with a blue circle in the middle for about 5-10 seconds and then we'll go back to normal I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if there is a solution. Maybe it's a firmware issue I'm not sure
post #2429 of 3267 Old 12-16-2018, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I forgot to mention I am on firmware 1153. This is happened while playing in three different games Totally intermittently
post #2430 of 3267 Old 12-16-2018, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl2902000 View Post
I forgot to mention I am on firmware 1153. This is happened while playing in three different games Totally intermittently

Sounds like something that is related to the "Samsung TV Playstation black screen" (if you google that phrase you will get a lot of links to people discussing it) problem I've read about. I haven't had the problem personally, but one thing to make sure is that you are using a quality 18gps HDMI cable. Nothing crazy expensive, just one that is certified, I believe monoprice has one that is generally recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page