2018 Samsung Q7FN Owners thread - No price talk - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 146Likes

post #31 of 708 Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermediatic View Post

The TV remote is overly minimal. I'm bummed there is no direct button for Netflix or Prime. I mean my Vizio had that! Serious loss of usability there. More buttons, more better. Oh well.
Seems Samsung designed the remote for people that don't use a cable box.

The setup will recognize your attached components, but then you have to use an on-screen control panel to do things with those components, as there are no buttons on the remote.

While I like streaming, etc. for evening viewing I typically use my DVR, which requires easy access to things like the DVR recordings, start, stop, pause, and most importantly my 30 second skip!! Hate those commercials!

Doesn't seem feasible with the Samsung One remote. As an alternative, I guess you can use the phone app, if you want to keep your phone handy all the time.

Looks like Logitech will sell plenty of Harmony remotes to those who buy these sets.

I knew when Samsung demoed these that when you highlight how easy it is to change the battery, you are short on features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 708 Old 04-20-2018, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Harmony remotes don't have the new model number yet but they kinda/sorta work with the old model number.

I spent some time learning the new remote and it's actually pretty good. Voice search is useful and works well. My only issue is switching to the cable box doesn't turn on the cable box. Switching to my Nvidia shield doesn't turn it on etc. If I could figure that out, I'd ditch the Harmony remote.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #33 of 708 Old 04-20-2018, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I managed to get ambient mode working, sort of. If you select mono under ambient mode, you can upload one photo (why not a slideshow?). Then I tweaked the background so that it looks more or less like the TV is a massive photo on my wall. The problem is that I can't take an actual photo of my wall (that crashes the Smarthings app on the iPhone) and the simulation of the wall is off because I can't take the pink out of it for some reason.

There is a new firmware update, but it isn't available via the in set updates. Go figure!

I love this TV, but it is far from the more seamless experience Vizio provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 708 Old 04-21-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Most manufacturers are good at pushing the notion that if you buy the product now, they will implement the promised features later...

Sometimes they do, sometimes they just take the sales and move on to development of the next model.
post #35 of 708 Old 04-21-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
Most manufacturers are good at pushing the notion that if you buy the product now, they will implement the promised features later...

Sometimes they do, sometimes they just take the sales and move on to development of the next model.
Yup, here’s hoping this TV makes it out of beta!

Interesting to look at the threads for last years Q7. It’s nowhere near as popular as the 9 or 8. Hoping that this isn’t an abandoned platform. I’m amazed at the quality but given that I bought a 75”, I just couldn’t justify over $4000 for slightly better quality.
post #36 of 708 Old 04-21-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree about avoiding the top tier price. Like with audio, you get into diminishing returns quickly as you move up the model lineup.

I have to admit that I am a bit confused with the latest announced sets. Everything I have read indicates that you really have to go with a bigger screen size to realize the benefit of 4K resolution. Samsung and Vizio have left out the 80+ inch market from their top tier sets.

Either there isn't enough of a market for these sets, or, the cost of taking their top tier technology to this screen size is prohibitive.

Sony at least has their 900F in an 85" size and LG us supposed to be producing an 86" LED in their Super lineup.

Sharp seemed to be the "go to" manufacturer in past years if you wanted to go big, with 80 and 90 inch screen sizes with full array backlights. Maybe their financial problems were a lesson to others.
post #37 of 708 Old 04-21-2018, 08:12 PM

I don’t get the argument about needing even bigger sets to realize the benefits of 4K. On my 75” the difference is palpable at 8’. If people don’t want to believe me, that’s fine, but that’s what I see.

The iPhone app was updated and now appears to support ambient mode in “lab mode” but it’s dark so I can’t test it properly.
I updated the TV as well (via USB drive). Not sure what the difference was.

So I have set all my inputs to HDR and now apparently I can’t choose movie mode anymore? Argh.

My TV seems to turn off a lot, but not while I am watching it, maybe if the source is off?

Last edited by intermediatic; 04-22-2018 at 06:27 PM.
post #38 of 708 Old 04-25-2018, 06:07 AM

Ambient mode works. It’s not complete yet and far from perfect. My biggest issue is that with a 75” set the gradations in light and shade on my wall are substantial and don’t like right when I take the photo. Removing spots doesn’t work well either. If Incould upload my own image, I’m confident I could get it right in Photoshop but that’s not an option.

I am bummed to be able to see the bottom edge lighting during film credits. I don’t get why I don’t see it during the letter bars in blade runner but the lighting is visible in a crummy way, I can’t see returning the TV and I don’t see how anyone is going to give me more than $1,000 for it in two years (I got $700 for a 70” Vizio that cost me much $2300 new). It’s impossible to shop for TVs these days... nobody at the box stores to help you, nowhere else to go.

Oh well.

Last edited by intermediatic; 04-25-2018 at 06:11 AM.
post #39 of 708 Old 04-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
I don’t get the argument about needing even bigger sets to realize the benefits of 4K. On my 75” the difference is palpable at 8’. If people don’t want to believe me, that’s fine, but that’s what I see.
Well, of course you need to include seating distance when talking about such things. 8' from a TV, most people are going to see a difference, for sure. 75" TV is going to be great, fantastic even, for most at 8'.

My current living room setup puts my TV 11' away and I have found through experimentation over the years that I like my screens a little bigger than most. For me personally, the closer I can get to a 90" screen (the maximum size I can fit on the wall) in my room the better. So the 80+" sets appeal to me.

The good news is that high quality big TVs slowly seem to be getting more common and less expensive. There were very few 75" TVs to pick from not long ago. Sony had no mid-range 85" sets last year, this year they have two. Good times.
post #40 of 708 Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No Gap Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib6717 View Post
Alright someone else who has the tv! I got the no-gap mount which is pretty great. Let me know your thoughts!

Does the same No Gap mount that worked on the 2017 Q7F work on the 2018 Q7FN? The 2017 version had a rounded top edge that fit perfectly in the back of the TV. The opening on the 2018 TV looks rectangular, but Samsung says the same mount works. Not sure that makes sense. Thanks.
post #41 of 708 Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adunn66 View Post
Does the same No Gap mount that worked on the 2017 Q7F work on the 2018 Q7FN? The 2017 version had a rounded top edge that fit perfectly in the back of the TV. The opening on the 2018 TV looks rectangular, but Samsung says the same mount works. Not sure that makes sense. Thanks.
Yep! I ordered an open box one from crutchfield for $99 and it worked perfectly.

post #42 of 708 Old 04-27-2018, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Ambient mode works. It’s not complete yet and far from perfect. My biggest issue is that with a 75” set the gradations in light and shade on my wall are substantial and don’t like right when I take the photo. Removing spots doesn’t work well either. If Incould upload my own image, I’m confident I could get it right in Photoshop but that’s not an option.

I am bummed to be able to see the bottom edge lighting during film credits. I don’t get why I don’t see it during the letter bars in blade runner but the lighting is visible in a crummy way, I can’t see returning the TV and I don’t see how anyone is going to give me more than $1,000 for it in two years (I got $700 for a 70” Vizio that cost me much $2300 new). It’s impossible to shop for TVs these days... nobody at the box stores to help you, nowhere else to go.

Oh well.
Oh dear, doesn't sound as if you would fully recommend the Q7F then? I might then go after the Q9F here in the UK..!
post #43 of 708 Old 04-27-2018, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I am bummed to be able to see the bottom edge lighting during film credits. I don’t get why I don’t see it during the letter bars in blade runner but the lighting is visible in a crummy way,
Oh well.
Just a wild guess, but maybe the TV has some particular "black bar" logic for dimming content with certain recognizable aspect ratios, which doesn't work on credits scrolling up from the bottom. It seems like credits and subtitles often are a problem for sets with local dimming. Has the Q7 been having issues like the Q8 and Q9 with random brightness changes in particular scenes that confuse the local dimming logic?
fgsouza likes this.
post #44 of 708 Old 04-27-2018, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingAvatar View Post
@simolnx The Q7 will? The Q8 is well documented as being different in the US vs EU/UK but I've not seen anything saying the Q7 will be different. Any source?
I'm really, really sorry for late response. Just check the USA / EU specs on the official website, you can clearly see that US mount the "Ultra Black Elite" on Q7 while the EU sticks with just "Ultra Black".
post #45 of 708 Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom2k View Post
Oh dear, doesn't sound as if you would fully recommend the Q7F then? I might then go after the Q9F here in the UK..!
This thread is for the Q7FN not Q7F. If it’s in your budget, then of course the Q9FN is better. That said, the colors on this thing are fabulous....!!!
post #46 of 708 Old 04-28-2018, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
This thread is for the Q7FN not Q7F. If it’s in your budget, then of course the Q9FN is better. That said, the colors on this thing are fabulous....!!!
Sorry, was obviously relating to the 2018 Q7FN version of the set. The way I am currently assessing the Samsung 2018 range really comes down to the Q7FN (£2,500) or just simply moving over to the C8, Philips 873 (Europe), Sony A8F rather than actually considering the £3,700 Q9FN. Obviously don't want to kick of OLED discussions or price talks, but the Q9FN doesn't seem to be worth that sort of money, hence the Q7FN might be the only option...hence fairly keen on hearing all about initial impressions. I am currently on the KS8000, doesn't seem to be worth the upgrade as of yet
post #47 of 708 Old 04-29-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Oh well.
So I checked a bunch of demos like the LG Red Fish demo on YouTube. No evidence of the edge at the bottom being brighter. Will see if I can recreate that problem and under what circumstances. Saw a Q8FN at a store. It was slightly brighter. Didn’t seem worth the money to me though... the difference was minor...

TV Plus is awful. Is there any way to get rid of it??
post #48 of 708 Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Alright someone else who has the tv! I got the no-gap mount which is pretty great. Let me know your thoughts!

I don't suppose anyone has the Samsung no gap wall mount for the 2018 TVs do they? (WMN-M12E) If so, could you please post a picture of the piece of paper you get to stick on the wall and drills holes through. In particular I want to know the measurements from the lines that the Q7FN goes to (there should be a little image in either bottom left or right corner).

Long story as to why... Samsung delivered the wrong one is the simple bit of the story!

Thanks!
post #49 of 708 Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 AM

Ambient mode. The color is off and the lack of adjustment won't let me do anything about it, but it still looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 10.00.14 AM.png
Views:	715
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2397808  
drdoom2k and alexander271 like this.
post #50 of 708 Old 05-01-2018, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Man, that looks fantastic.
I have my Q7FN but I can't set it up yet because I'm moving to a new house on Saturday.. can't wait!
post #51 of 708 Old 05-01-2018, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ambient mode. The color is off and the lack of adjustment won't let me do anything about it, but it still looks good.
Wow that looks great!

post #52 of 708 Old 05-02-2018, 12:36 PM

Liked: 1
I had the Q7F (2017). The flat, slimline metal remote with that felt SO much nicer than this weird shaped cheap plastic thing that comes with the 2018 model 😞 Think I'll buy the metal one separately!

Can anyone help with the earlier post (a few up) on the M12 wall mount measurement guide? Thanks if so!
post #53 of 708 Old 05-02-2018, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What picture is that? Is that a default one? Can't find it and it looks awesome.

intermediatic likes this.
post #54 of 708 Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
What picture is that? Is that a default one? Can't find it and it looks awesome.

Oh, thanks, it’s an art project I did a couple of years back. I uploaded it myself using the SmartThings iOS app. I wish it supported some kind of slideshow capability, but you can only upload one image at a time.
post #55 of 708 Old 05-03-2018, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does 55Q7FN support DTS Passthrough through HDMI ARC and/or optical ? Does it have Smart PCMCIA card CI+ ? Does it have satellite antenna input DVB-S and/or DVB-S2 ? Does it have 3.5mm analog out ? Does it have movies playback from USB devices ? Does it have USB 3.0 ? Does it support HBO GO app ?
Can't find anything to answer my questions. The manual is very basic, it includes only details about size and weight but no inputs.
post #56 of 708 Old 05-03-2018, 07:02 PM

It supports HBO GO, it supports movie playback from USB devices. There is no 3.5mm analog out, I don't think. It has what appears to be a standard coaxial RF cable in shared for satellite or cable. I don't believe it has anywhere to put a Smart PCMCIA card. Rtings.com says "Like other 2018 Samsung TVs, the Q8FN does not support DTS passthrough to an external receiver, but this shouldn't be an issue since most media supports both." So let's assume the Q7FN does not. Rtings.com also says the Q8FN doesn't have USB 3.0 so this shouldn't either.
post #57 of 708 Old 05-03-2018, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Oh, thanks, it’s an art project I did a couple of years back. I uploaded it myself using the SmartThings iOS app. I wish it supported some kind of slideshow capability, but you can only upload one image at a time.
Have you tried a thumb drive? There are a number of different ones available from Amazon but they do not have matts or frames. LG has demo thumb drives that have a few framed art pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/FrameTheTV-Vi.../dp/B0083JDDTK

https://www.amazon.com/FrameTheTV-Vi.../dp/B0083JDBK6

Samsung 75Q7F, ATV4K, Tivo Roamio OTA, RF-20
post #58 of 708 Old 05-04-2018, 02:25 PM

No, but you wouldn't be able to use those with ambient mode. Only images you uplead from the iPhone or Samsung Gallery work for that.
post #59 of 708 Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 68
So tough to decide between the Q7FN 75” or the Sony X900F. Both about the same price at Best Buy......guess I need to wait for more reviews to come out

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #60 of 708 Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
weird how there is no review out for this tv or the q6fn, does anyone know what the zone count and nits are on the q7fn and the q6fn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2018 , q7fn , qled , Samsung , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page