AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   2018 Samsung Q7FN Owners thread - No price talk (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2969198-2018-samsung-q7fn-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

4K Tech 05-20-2019 02:28 PM

Flashlighting

Quote:

Originally Posted by weks (Post 58072574)
hey guys, finally got this unit 55" , finish setting it up and i am very happy with the picture quality. But after some testing in a dark room at night, i notice there is a brighter area on the bottom left of the screen.
I don't know what it is called, i can only see it when I test it with black or very dark image and with the backlight is on. is it a known issue or a defect unit?
I know it is not a backlight bleed, but the area on the bottom left is noticeably brighter causing uneven blacks. any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by weks (Post 58072868)
here is what i mean http ://tinypic.com/r/2s1kpw9/9

Based on your photo ( the corrected link is http://tinypic.com/r/2s1kpw9/9 ) what you're seeing in the lower-left portion of the screen appears to be "flashlighting." Unfortunately, it's the luck of the draw as to whether a particular panel exhibits flashlighting, and if so, to what degree. You can find a good discussion of this at the following link, along with an expandable summary chart which gives the 2018 Q7FN an average black uniformity score of 8.9 out of 10.0 across all panel size offerings:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...-flashlighting

weks 05-20-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4K Tech (Post 58075254)
Based on your photo ( the corrected link is ) what you're seeing in the lower-left portion of the screen appears to be "flashlighting." Unfortunately, it's the luck of the draw as to whether a particular panel exhibits flashlighting, and if so, to what degree. You can find a good discussion of this at the following link, along with an expandable summary chart which gives the 2018 Q7FN an average black uniformity score of 8.9 out of 10.0 across all panel size offerings:

Thank you for the response :)
so thats a flashlighting, ok the only spot where i can see that is the lower left part of the screen, from the links you provided, it seems it is a common issue with led panels.
Does warranty cover this kind of issue? will that flashlighting disappear the longer we use the TV? i dont have much knowledge about this, but i remember having a LG monitor with similar problem, and after a few months of usage, it disappeared by itself.

yld2rob 05-21-2019 06:57 AM

Apple TV now an option on 2018 Q7's

I was told the software update was released. Has anyone seen it? I just checked my TV yesterday and nothing.

sveineb 05-21-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yld2rob (Post 58077922)
I was told the software update was released. Has anyone seen it? I just checked my TV yesterday and nothing.

It are not a software release but an app. Just search for it in the app store.

Un_serious 05-21-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yld2rob (Post 58077922)

Apple TV app was part of the latest firmware download. Runs well so far.

adahm 05-23-2019 02:42 PM

Just got one for an awesome price, it was an upgrade from a B8500 from 2009. Worked great for for one night, loved the PQ, today I have an error screen showing some sort of fault between the one connect box and tv :frown:. Called geek squad as this was an open box buy and I purchased the protection. Now I have to wait a week before someone can come and look at it.

Not much information on this online. Has anyone had this sort of error displayed on the TV screen. I am thinking I may have a bad cable or one connect box. The TV comes on fine and works for a few seconds, the HDMI source comes on for a second and then the error screen is displayed. Also if I connect my HDMI source through receiver, I have HDCP error displayed on the the receiver screen.

1984_C10 05-23-2019 06:19 PM

[SOLVED!]

Sup guys! Just got my Q7FN, hooked it up, set everything up and so far so good on pretty much every possible way.
Just gotta ask one question, does anybody know how to activate HDR on a Windows 10 machine connected to the Q7FN?
I haven't gone deep in the possible solutions yet but so far i tried changing the computer's output resolution, the TV input mode (which allows me to select HDR+ on the TV but not on Windows) and turning HDMI UHD Color on (this causes connection drop outs).
The computer is a Ryzen system with an Nvidia RTX2070 and its connected to HDMI 1 with a decent quality Diamond brand 3,6m cable.

Ok, found out what it was, it was just a cable, exchanged the 3,6m cable to a similar model with shorter lenght (just 2m) and that did the trick.

dannieboiz 06-04-2019 08:02 AM

am I missing out on picture quality if my AVR is HDMI 1.4 while my TV is 2.0?

Just received a 75Q7FN today.... my only source of content is a fire tv 2nd gen and a chromecast. The AVR I have is a Pioneer SC-72 that has 4k passthrough HDMI 1.4.

Will I get the better picture quality if I bought a latest model receiver that has hdmi 2.0 or better?

dannieboiz 06-04-2019 09:01 AM

Is anyone using ARC audio on their Q7? I just received mine today and will be mounting it up. My receiver is only HDMI 1.4.

Will ARC work while using other HDMI sources?

BTW: This one connect box is huge, anyone have any idea on how to mount it against the wall and hid it behind the TV?

Tree Dude 06-04-2019 11:15 AM

Nope. That is a 1080p device and that receiver will pass it through. However if you upgrade to a Chromecast Ultra you’ll have issues with HDR and DV content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannieboiz 06-04-2019 12:13 PM

I actually have a 3rd Gen Fire TV that I will be using and moving the 2nd gen else where. Now I'll be missing out.... Looks like i have to get a new receiver.

dannieboiz 06-05-2019 01:25 PM

Anyone know where's the location of the IR receiver? It doesn't seem to be on the one connect box. I'm trying to find a good location to put the IR blaster of the harmony hub.

Tree Dude 06-05-2019 03:08 PM

2018 Samsung Q7FN Owners thread - No price talk

ARC should work. It will render the inputs on your receiver useless and force you use the TV only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4K Tech 06-05-2019 06:20 PM

Remote sensor

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannieboiz (Post 58145352)
Anyone know where's the location of the IR receiver? It doesn't seem to be on the one connect box. I'm trying to find a good location to put the IR blaster of the harmony hub.

If you're referring to the sensor for the factory remote control, it's located in the area of the Samsung logo / Control Stick, per page 13 of the User Manual (see attached).

dannieboiz 06-06-2019 05:00 PM

Thanks @Tree Dude and @4K Tech

Surprising ARC works very well with this TV. I could never get ARC to play nice on the JS8500 that this replaced.

wildfins 06-11-2019 12:06 AM

Just got the QN75Q7FN delivered and set it up. Playing various 4K TV test videos on Youtube and so far so good, no obvious defects found to my naked eyes (I am not a true videophile and won't be able to discern the slight imperfections) so I would assume that I was lucky and got a good panel.

Question to the floor:
What video mode should I use when playing TV shows or movies from an AT&T U-Verse Cable (1080i at best)?
When should I turn on "HDR" option? Does "HDR" turn on automatically when the TV detects HDR contents?

The reason I ask is because:
- Rtings recommends "Movie" but it seems a bit too soft and dimmed.
- Rtings "Expert" custom calibration is close to "Movie" mode and it seems a bit soft and dimmed as well.
- "Dynamic" is on the other hand too bright and too vibrant that it hurts the eyes.
- "Natural" is not as bright as "Dynamic" but is still plenty bright.
- "Standard" seems to be more balance and would work in low light condition.
- If I select "Movie" and turn on "HDR", then it's a lot brighter but not too sure if I should turn on "HDR" for cable TV shows with resolutions that are 1080i at best?

I am a newbie to 4K TV so I hope that I'd get some advices and feedback from the forum.
Thanks...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...-2018/settings

SerBronnJames 06-12-2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildfins (Post 58167324)
Just got the QN75Q7FN delivered and set it up. Playing various 4K TV test videos on Youtube and so far so good, no obvious defects found to my naked eyes (I am not a true videophile and won't be able to discern the slight imperfections) so I would assume that I was lucky and got a good panel.

Question to the floor:
What video mode should I use when playing TV shows or movies from an AT&T U-Verse Cable (1080i at best)?
When should I turn on "HDR" option? Does "HDR" turn on automatically when the TV detects HDR contents?

- Rtings "Expert" custom calibration is close to "Movie" mode and it seems a bit soft and dimmed as well.
- "Dynamic" is on the other hand too bright and too vibrant that it hurts the eyes.
- If I select "Movie" and turn on "HDR", then it's a lot brighter but not too sure if I should turn on "HDR" for cable TV shows with resolutions that are 1080i at best?

I am a newbie to 4K TV so I hope that I'd get some advices and feedback from the forum.
Thanks...

The TV will turn on HDR automatically when it receives an HDR signal. The HDR setting you're turning on is just simulated HDR for SDR sources, you can leave it off. You can tell when it's in HDR as it will show "HDR" on top of the currently selected picture mode (standard/movie etc) and the color space in the settings will be st.2020.

Bamaboi89 06-12-2019 05:11 PM

anybody else having problems with their q7fn turning off by itself? its been happening randomly mostly while playing hdr games. its goes black then the qled symbol pops up and and it takes me back to whatever i was doing

Abhishek_ 07-04-2019 10:12 AM

Q7FN 55 inch with a AV receiver Denon X3500 or marantz 6013

Hello everyone

i am new to the forum and want to hook up Q7FN 55 inch with a AV receiver. My choices are Denon X3500 or marantz 6013. I have been going through the forums and found that there are some issues with Denon AV receivers sending 4k/60/hdr content, the tv displays no signal detected, termed as handshake issue in various threads. Anyone here facing the problem with either denon or marantz. I need help making the right choice.

Thanks

Stevio 07-07-2019 05:45 AM

I would like to ask, how do you tell if you have the right connect box? I received a Q7 out of box and they mixed things up a bit, so the remote didn't work. I'm hoping they didn't mix anything else up when they assembled the pack.

I also have a slightly bright patch on the top left side, about a hand breadth, where I think the installer was holding when he was carrying the TV into my home. I thought you could actually bend the light path when mishandling a edge lit set and cause light bleed. But he reckoned that doesn't happen. I'm also seeing a lot more general light bleed then with the instore demo. I assumed they did something tricky with the picture levels so as to keep light bleed down in the demo, but I don't know.

Thanks for any advice.

londonhogfan 07-09-2019 09:03 PM

I just received my 75" Q7FN. Should the screen be perfectly flat? My has a slight curve to it. Everything seems to be working properly though.

Movie78 07-12-2019 09:59 PM

Does anyone know where I can find good calibration settings for CAL DAY and NIGHT?

Stevio 07-15-2019 08:08 PM

Hi. Why Is this forum putting codes in my postings in desktop mode?

Stevio 07-15-2019 08:12 PM

The new sales man at the shop used a screen cleaning cloth on my TV to check for marks, a bit firmly, before I bought it. It turns out you should never use screen cleaner on it, as it can damage the contrast filter (how stupid). I had noticed there seemed to be a lot more bleed through than I expected looking at other screens previously in store.

So, what am I looking at here? How much damage would one vigorous clean do (but it was a shop demo)?

Stevio 07-15-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerBronnJames (Post 58171484)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildfins (Post 58167324)

Question to the floor:

Thanks...

The TV will turn on HDR automatically when it receives an HDR signal. The HDR setting you're turning on is just simulated HDR for SDR sources, you can leave it off. You can tell when it's in HDR as it will show "HDR" on top of the currently selected picture mode (standard/movie etc) and the color space in the settings will be st.2020.

I also found movie mode set up according to rtings very oppressive. Is there calibration settings lists out there for various looks?

I use dynamic with standard color tone high local dimming high contrast enhancer, but still not completely satisfied, and its probably too much brightness and color for most people. I'm wondering if retail mode (which I tried) was a little more.

For the original poster:
But a few things I did find. Turning brightness down -3 in a bright room, and -5 in a dark room enhanced the look or blacks, and you can play with the gamma control as they suggest in rtings. Contrast and color adjustments, in Standard or Natural with auto color, are where to play with, if you want a brighter but subdued look in between movie and dynamic.

4K Tech 07-16-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevio (Post 58301058)
Hi. Why Is this forum putting codes in my postings in desktop mode?

I don't know why codes are appearing at times, but I'm seeing it over in the Q80R thread too (via my desktop PC access to AVS Forum), but only from a few posters -- the majority of posts look normal. The most recurring unicode decimal code I'm seeing is the code for a lowercase letter s, i.e. code s.

bm83 07-18-2019 09:02 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I am hoping someone can help me with this.

The TV was delivered yesterday and after putting up we have found 3 spots on the screen

2 of them are right in the dead center. While the other one is more towards the middle of the upper left.

I am attaching the pictures — with and without arrows — to help demonstrate what I mean.

Keep in mind that my cell camera probably decreases the obviousness of the spots by around 30%.

These spots don't move.

Really would appreciate some advice on this.

Edit: So turns out I can't post a link to

bm83 07-18-2019 09:05 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Without arrows pointing out the spots

Stevio 07-19-2019 08:14 AM

4k Tech thanks. This site is just hard. I don't have any post controls in desktop mode, and have to click the post number to be taken to a green mode where it has mysterious , "Icons".

Stevio 07-19-2019 08:29 AM

OK. The situation is difficult. It turns out they gave the TV with the wrong one connect box, for the US Q7FN rather then the Australian QFN, which happens to be the box for the Q8. The Q8 is likely from a common factory, at least the panel, as it would be low volume. But the Q7FN is higher volume and could be from multiple factories with variations in the panel, where I seem to be getting too much light bleed, and maybe less color gamut using this box. The box could be setting up the picture wrong. Do any of you guys have any experience with this.

I only have two days before the local service people are due to come out (recommended by live chat, but didn't give me a service reference number). I don't want to land up getting charge for the call out if they think it's frivolous. So, I'm trying to establish things beforehand.

I also need to find the download for the colored sports on black back ground demo from last year (and maybe the other demos). I know what that one looks like a lit, and can judge if my TV is not right from it. Anybody know where to find the demo?

As the thread seems pretty quiet, I think I'll escalate this into a thread. Anybody here, pleased still answer.

Thanks.