AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   2018 Samsung Q7FN Owners thread - No price talk (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2969198-2018-samsung-q7fn-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

Gib6717 04-05-2018 09:13 PM

Waiting for my Q7FN to be delivered and didn’t see a thread for this model yet so figured I’d get it started! If anyone has this model, I’d love to get impressions, calibration settings, post reviews, etc.

Edit: Went to my local Best Buy and they had the 2017 Q7 on display next to the 2018 Q9 and Q8. The Samsung rep said that in his opinion, the 2018 Q7 looks "pretty much identical" to the Q8 which is positive. Also, I thought the 2017 Q7 looked really good so now I'm even more excited to get my set.

simolnx 04-06-2018 12:51 AM

Eyeing the same in EU so i'm deeply Interested in your impressions.

Number_6 04-06-2018 01:00 PM

This is Samsung's edge-lit QLED with local dimming, right? I'm also interested in this as a potentially less expensive alternative to the Q8, if the image quality is good enough. I know last year's Samsung's didn't do especially well with the combination of edge lighting and local dimming, but I'm hoping the 2018 model is improved...

Gib6717 04-06-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number_6 (Post 55989014)
This is Samsung's edge-lit QLED with local dimming, right? I'm also interested in this as a potentially less expensive alternative to the Q8, if the image quality is good enough. I know last year's Samsung's didn't do especially well with the combination of edge lighting and local dimming, but I'm hoping the 2018 model is improved...

Yep. I'm hoping for the best but either way I'd imagine this is a big upgrade from my Vizio.

Gib6717 04-10-2018 03:32 PM

Ok just finished setting up my set and I think it looks amazing! Blacks are black and PQ is awesome. I see virtually no bleed into the black bars. Light and day compared to the Vizio. Can't imagine how awesome the Q9fn is.

Number_6 04-10-2018 10:40 PM

I already have questions, that you can respond to at your leisure:

How's the uniformity (i.e. does it have much "dirty screen effect" in sports like hockey or golf, or noticeable light bleeding?)

I know it's a VA-panel LCD, but how does the viewing angle seem, at say 25 or 30 degrees from center? Major washout, or still look decent?

Thanks, and congrats for being the first owner here....

simolnx 04-11-2018 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib6717 (Post 56013018)
Ok just finished setting up my set and I think it looks amazing! Blacks are black and PQ is awesome. I see virtually no bleed into the black bars. Light and day compared to the Vizio. Can't imagine how awesome the Q9fn is.

If you can post some photos in will be nice :)

Gib6717 04-11-2018 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simolnx (Post 56015186)
If you can post some photos in will be nice :)

After work I'll post some. Any requests?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

simolnx 04-11-2018 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib6717 (Post 56015552)
After work I'll post some. Any requests?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well dark room with MAD MAX Fury Road 4K title screen will be awesome and a good stress test. :)

RagingAvatar 04-11-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib6717 (Post 56015552)
After work I'll post some. Any requests?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'd love to hear a description of how bright the TV is in HDR?
I've preordered and can't wait!

Gib6717 04-11-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simolnx (Post 56015588)
Well dark room with MAD MAX Fury Road 4K title screen will be awesome and a good stress test. :)

I only have the UHD streaming version of Mad Max!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gib6717 04-11-2018 04:39 PM

I'll post some pics with the screen on when I get the kids to bed but I noticed something that's pretty concerning. The bezel isn't the same width around the set. The first pic is the top left corner and the second is the top right. Not sure how this happens on a set that costs $4k.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c862b24274.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bedc902c55.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gib6717 04-11-2018 06:04 PM


PaulLemonhead 04-14-2018 07:50 AM

Not much action in this thread but I'm interested in this set. What are your thoughts so far?

Gib6717 04-14-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulLemonhead (Post 56033890)
Not much action in this thread but I'm interested in this set. What are your thoughts so far?

Yea I’m surprised how dead this thread is. I really like it so far. PQ is a huge upgrade from my Vizio. Was watching Planet Earth 2 last night and the set just kind of blended into the wall after a bit.. really cool stuff. I’m very happy. Would love to get some calibration settings although the presets are. Very good as well.

intermediatic 04-15-2018 08:46 AM

I'm fascinated by this set and may pull the trigger on a 75" soon. Could you post an image of it using ambient mode? Would love to see that in real life and not just in Samsung's brochures.

Gib6717 04-15-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intermediatic (Post 56038472)
I'm fascinated by this set and may pull the trigger on a 75" soon. Could you post an image of it using ambient mode? Would love to see that in real life and not just in Samsung's brochures.

Here you gohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3a8a01511f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...518b82a0a5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...63bc81c161.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...43ec530b23.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8bccb0b0ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ray0414 04-15-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intermediatic (Post 56038472)
I'm fascinated by this set and may pull the trigger on a 75" soon. Could you post an image of it using ambient mode? Would love to see that in real life and not just in Samsung's brochures.

Ambient mode isn't fully functional yet.

intermediatic 04-15-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 56040836)
Ambient mode isn't fully functional yet.

Interesting. Wasn't it introduced with last year's sets?

ray0414 04-15-2018 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intermediatic (Post 56041428)
Interesting. Wasn't it introduced with last year's sets?

No this is a brand new feature.

intermediatic 04-15-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 56041432)
No this is a brand new feature.

Gotcha. Thanks.

RagingAvatar 04-16-2018 09:12 AM

The black levels in the photos that @Gib6717 posted look fantastic - I hope they look that good to the naked eye!

Gib6717 04-16-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingAvatar (Post 56044308)
The black levels in the photos that @Gib6717 posted look fantastic - I hope they look that good to the naked eye!

They do. I'm very impressed with this set.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

drdoom2k 04-17-2018 03:34 AM

Great, thanks for posting these pictures - might be getting the Q7 then but will be on the lookout for reviews by Rtings.com, etc. Keen on understanding if the 'blooming' effect / dimming zones vs. the KS series has been dealt with and if there has been any change to the motion handling.

simolnx 04-19-2018 08:20 AM

Beware that in EU the Q7/Q8 will use a different and less advanced black filtering, so the blacks from US models may not be the same.

RagingAvatar 04-19-2018 08:22 AM

@simolnx The Q7 will? The Q8 is well documented as being different in the US vs EU/UK but I've not seen anything saying the Q7 will be different. Any source?

intermediatic 04-19-2018 04:55 PM

Got one from PC Richard. The delivery guys were pretty darn good, they took the packaging apart to ensure the set would work. The caveat is that the IR sensor appears to have been at the bottom so since it was sitting in the foam packaging, it wouldn't turn on.

It was a delight to get rid of the huge number of cables that my old TV required.

I am a long way from getting this set up, however. The Samsung "Smart Things" app just doesn't work on the iPhone. It seems to be coded by a madman. For example, it REQUIRES a passcode for the wifi network even though my wifi network doesn't have one. I think it did accept a fake one. Eventually, I got to a screen to pair the TV and the iPhone using a PIN displayed on the TV … minor problem … there is NO WAY to enter the PIN. Ah, glitches.

Also wall mounting this thing was difficult. The screw holes are just a teeny tiny too deep to work with M8 X 35 bolts. Eventually I got M8 X 40 bolts and some spacers. That seems to be ok.

Gib6717 04-19-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intermediatic (Post 56064252)
Got one from PC Richard. The delivery guys were pretty darn good, they took the packaging apart to ensure the set would work. The caveat is that the IR sensor appears to have been at the bottom so since it was sitting in the foam packaging, it wouldn't turn on.

It was a delight to get rid of the huge number of cables that my old TV required.

I am a long way from getting this set up, however. The Samsung "Smart Things" app just doesn't work on the iPhone. It seems to be coded by a madman. For example, it REQUIRES a passcode for the wifi network even though my wifi network doesn't have one. I think it did accept a fake one. Eventually, I got to a screen to pair the TV and the iPhone using a PIN displayed on the TV … minor problem … there is NO WAY to enter the PIN. Ah, glitches.

Also wall mounting this thing was difficult. The screw holes are just a teeny tiny too deep to work with M8 X 35 bolts. Eventually I got M8 X 40 bolts and some spacers. That seems to be ok.

Alright someone else who has the tv! I got the no-gap mount which is pretty great. Let me know your thoughts!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

intermediatic 04-19-2018 07:15 PM

I used the Sanus mount already on my wall. It's rated to 125 pounds and 90" so it was fine. I'm sure no gap is really nice but you can't see the side of the TV due to a shelf next to it that holds my LPs so it wasn't necessary.

Some random observations (I did the install myself so barely catching my breath…).

SCREEN
It's a LOT better than my 2015 Vizio M Series.

Boy was A Series of Unfortunate Events the wrong show to watch for the first try (kids wanted to see it). Totally desaturated. By design, but still! Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is great though.

Anti-reflective? Ugh. It was kind of hard to see 30 minutes before twilight (eastern exposure but 15 mile distant NYC caused some ambient light). The Vizio was better.

The colors seem a bit oversaturated. I tried Natural but that closed up the blacks. Going to need to sit down with this. But they are also amazing. Had to repeatedly turn of Automotion Plus since as I changed picture types it kept going back to the default (you need to turn HDR on for each HDMI input that can support it, apparently). Blade Runner 4K was awful with it on.

I see what you mean about ambient mode. I mean there it is, but I thought I could take a photo of my wall and it would blend in. Nopes.

ONECONNECT

In case anyone isn't clear yet, there is ONLY ONE CABLE for power and signal. I sure hope it is UL rated since I stuck it in my wall. ONECONNECT was a major selling point for me.

I THINK the cable is about 5m long. I'm thrilled. I'm going to be able to stick the ONECONNECT box in a cabinet where it will hide along with my AppleTV and Cable box.

I have the optical out going into an Ayre QX-5 DAC, Ayre KX-5 Premap, Ayre VX-5 Amp, and Vandersteen 5A speakers. This is an awesome system. Middlelife crisis averted. To the Q7FN's credit, the speakers don't suck completely.

REMOTE

Samsung's smartphone app is a disaster on the iPhone, but eventually I got it to work.

The TV remote is overly minimal. I'm bummed there is no direct button for Netflix or Prime. I mean my Vizio had that! Serious loss of usability there. More buttons, more better. Oh well.

ray0414 04-19-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intermediatic (Post 56064898)
I used the Sanus mount already on my wall. It's rated to 125 pounds and 90" so it was fine. I'm sure no gap is really nice but you can't see the side of the TV due to a shelf next to it that holds my LPs so it wasn't necessary.

Some random observations (I did the install myself so barely catching my breath…).

SCREEN
It's a LOT better than my 2015 Vizio M Series.

Boy was A Series of Unfortunate Events the wrong show to watch for the first try (kids wanted to see it). Totally desaturated. By design, but still! Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is great though.

Anti-reflective? Ugh. It was kind of hard to see 30 minutes before twilight (eastern exposure but 15 mile distant NYC caused some ambient light). The Vizio was better.

The colors seem a bit oversaturated. I tried Natural but that closed up the blacks. Going to need to sit down with this. But they are also amazing. Had to repeatedly turn of Automotion Plus since as I changed picture types it kept going back to the default (you need to turn HDR on for each HDMI input that can support it, apparently). Blade Runner 4K was awful with it on.

I see what you mean about ambient mode. I mean there it is, but I thought I could take a photo of my wall and it would blend in. Nopes.

ONECONNECT

In case anyone isn't clear yet, there is ONLY ONE CABLE for power and signal. I sure hope it is UL rated since I stuck it in my wall. ONECONNECT was a major selling point for me.

I THINK the cable is about 5m long. I'm thrilled. I'm going to be able to stick the ONECONNECT box in a cabinet where it will hide along with my AppleTV and Cable box.

I have the optical out going into an Ayre QX-5 DAC, Ayre KX-5 Premap, Ayre VX-5 Amp, and Vandersteen 5A speakers. This is an awesome system. Middlelife crisis averted. To the Q7FN's credit, the speakers don't suck completely.

REMOTE

Samsung's smartphone app is a disaster on the iPhone, but eventually I got it to work.

The TV remote is overly minimal. I'm bummed there is no direct button for Netflix or Prime. I mean my Vizio had that! Serious loss of usability there. More buttons, more better. Oh well.


The final version of ambient mode hasn't been released yet. The photo of the wall feature isn't there yet but will be later.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.