Sony X900F 65" 4K HDR TV: First Look & Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #121 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
75" is first choice. 65" may be reality.
Yeah I hear ya about reality. I got the 55 inch 900E and really should have sprung to get the 65 inch.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Scarriere likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
For those basing your decision on viewing the 900f at Best Buy, please do not be discouraged! I did extensive research and came to the conclusion that this TV would be better in my situation than a 77" LG OLED C8. Now that I have the 85" 900F I am EXTREMELY pleased with my decision. I also looked at all the TV's at best buy and frankly the 900F appeared to have the worst picture of all of them, even worse than a couple of years old Vizio models! It has something to do with the way they calibrate the TV's for retail display. In fact, there is a "Retail" setting on the tv config menu and I suspect this has something to do with it. I even made Best Buy change the disc to a better quality 4K source and yet the image remained overly saturated, extremely grainy, and just lacked impressiveness overall.
Glad you did your homework! I know it used to be more intentional, and I do think BB is better about it these days, but I think the problem mostly lies in how they typically just pull the displays out of the box and turn them on. Some manufacturers default to the "Retail" setting you talked about to make their TVs look brighter and bolder than the ones next to them. Really makes it tough to do an honest comparison, so I too have had to get an employee to fetch me the remotes so I could play with the settings and make a better assessment. Too often, they have the TVs' brightness, contrast, etc. cranked up to 11 and it looks terrible. They also typically have terrible sources or a feed split a million ways that just doesn't do the TV justice. Lastly, the lighting in the stores are usually awful compared to what you may have at home. Now, the Magnolia sections have certainly addressed some of these complaints, but then it may be too dark in those rooms to resemble your own living room as well. Still better than the main floor, though.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 900F, though. I got my sights set one of these babies for sure.
audeophyle likes this.
post #123 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
For those basing your decision on viewing the 900f at Best Buy, please do not be discouraged! I did extensive research and came to the conclusion that this TV would be better in my situation than a 77" LG OLED C8. Now that I have the 85" 900F I am EXTREMELY pleased with my decision. I also looked at all the TV's at best buy and frankly the 900F appeared to have the worst picture of all of them, even worse than a couple of years old Vizio models! It has something to do with the way they calibrate the TV's for retail display. In fact, there is a "Retail" setting on the tv config menu and I suspect this has something to do with it. I even made Best Buy change the disc to a better quality 4K source and yet the image remained overly saturated, extremely grainy, and just lacked impressiveness overall.

HOWEVER, now that I have the 85" 900f installed at home I could not be happier! Everything I read about this set or imagined is leaps and bounds beyond what I could have hoped for. Seriously, when I am sitting at home watching this TV, it is extremely difficult to imagine a better image quality! I am sure if I had an LD OLED next to it, the difference would be noticeable, but by how much, I am not sure. The colors and vivid imagery are absolutely insane! I noticed no lag whatsoever when playing PS4 games nor did I notice any judder or degradation resulting from motion. Sure the on screen menus are not the most strategically efficient and the remote is a bit clunky but who cares?!?! I am enjoying a 85" display that is amongst the best picture quality available in the world today. Seriously folks, this is one amazing piece of technology.

Zones schmones, with the x1 processor and all the other features, the last thing most of us would be thinking about when enjoying this beautiful display is how many zones we are looking at. I didn't experience any problematic deterioration from off-center viewing as well.

So glad I didn't go with the OLED77C8PUA. That one is coming out at $10K, but even if it were priced the same as the 85" 900F, it would still be a difficult decision. The image quality is superb and to see it so accurately displayed on the 85" size screen is simply breathtaking.
Best buy employees should be fired if what you are saying is true because it deterred me from getting this and I'm still waiting until June 8th for my 75" Q9fn. I really wanted to love the 900f 85" based on reviews and the owners thread but in 3 different stores on 1080p and some demo that on two different days was stutturing it was everything you described. I was so disappointed. Had I read what you wrote a couple of weeks ago perhaps i would have ordered this instead.

Anyway, glad you love it. So jealous of the size. I hope I didn't make a mistake, I'll know soon enough.
audeophyle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone come from the 940E to the 900F to do an accurate comparison?
post #125 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9166 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Best buy employees should be fired if what you are saying is true because it deterred me from getting this and I'm still waiting until June 8th for my 75" Q9fn. I really wanted to love the 900f 85" based on reviews and the owners thread but in 3 different stores on 1080p and some demo that on two different days was stutturing it was everything you described. I was so disappointed. Had I read what you wrote a couple of weeks ago perhaps i would have ordered this instead.

Anyway, glad you love it. So jealous of the size. I hope I didn't make a mistake, I'll know soon enough.
Size vs. Quality & intended use... these are all considerations. Q9FN has more contrast, more color volume, gets brighter, looks sleeker, handles 1440 x 2560 at 120 Hz and variable refresh is on the way.

85" has its benefits of course, and the X900F handles most content great. But the Q9FN is a more capable machine if you feed it content that takes full advantage of its color and brightness and high zone count, etc. and indeed is the TV I allude to when I discuss paying more for a better anti-glare / anti-reflective filter.

These are both great TVs, otherwise it would not be a tough choice.
audeophyle and Keithian like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #126 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Size vs. Quality & intended use... these are all considerations. Q9FN has more contrast, more color volume, gets brighter, looks sleeker, handles 1440 x 2560 at 120 Hz and variable refresh is on the way.

85" has its benefits of course, and the X900F handles most content great. But the Q9FN is a more capable machine if you feed it content that takes full advantage of its color and brightness and high zone count, etc. and indeed is the TV I allude to when I discuss paying more for a better anti-glare / anti-reflective filter.

Except there is this.

I don't like and have not liked what Samsung has done for years with there TV's. I wouldn't buy one on a bet.

post #127 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

But it's like a consumer can't win in these situations due to lack of equivalent choices at the 85" size. On one hand you get a Sony 900f with a very good picture, but not the best, great motion, with a horribly slow UI (according to reviews) . Then you have a Q9fn with everything you allude to which sounds ideal for my situation with windows directly opposite the TV.... But I'm 11- 12' from the picture and according to Rtings from that distance and with 75" you can't take advantage of 4k so it's like why oh why can't Samsung or Sony release a high end 85" Q9FN or the upcoming Z9f which was leaked today. It's so irritating lol. It feels like no matter what one does, there is a sacrifice. I didn't feel like I sacrificed anything when in 2011 I got the Elite. I felt like I got the very best possible for 1080i and streaming. Now I want the very best LCD picture, but at my distance and environment there is no such TV for 4k. The next house I buy better have an appropriate man cave lol.
BiggAW and audeophyle like this.
post #128 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9166 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Except there is this. https://youtu.be/JvgQi2Gbqec

I don't like and have not liked what Samsung has done for years with there TV's. I wouldn't buy one on a bet.

TL;DW

I'm not gonna get lost in the weeds. I have seen enough of both TVs and I think TV makers readily admit that more zones plus quantum dot film gets you some extra "pow" but it costs. Yeah, usage scenarios, personal taste, type of content you watch primarily and from where (distance, angle) this all plays a part in what's "better."

85" for this PQ for what Sony is asking is a gift, this is true.
Scarriere and audeophyle like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-24-2018 at 08:23 AM.
post #129 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TL;DW

I'm not gonna get lost in the weeds. I have seen enough of both TVs. But yeah, usage scenarios, personal taste, type of content you watch primarily and from where (distance, angle) this all plays a part in what's "better."
I'm just not a fan of Samsung at all. Haven't been in years.

post #130 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question on X900F arc capabilities. I just ordered this Tv and it should be here tomorrow.

In the TV manual it shows it supports the formats below
ARC Output Format: Two channel linear PCM: 48 kHz 16 bits, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS

Does “Two Channel linear PCM” mean that I would not get DD+ over arc? I am thinking that “two Channels” means stereo but it might mean something else. And then the next question would be if it does output DD+ over arc does that only include the apps on the TV or would it pass through from my Apple TV

I am debating if I should keep the Sony Z9F soundbar and surrounds I bought at BB open box for $750 pr wait for the sonos release on June 6th. If the sonos has HDMI arc and adds newer features I might want that. To be honest, even at $750 the sound on the Z9F is underwhelming compared to a sonos 5.1 system. The tech specs and the immersion on the Z9F are impressive but in real word use it sounds cheap and tinny compared to the sonos.

Thanks!
post #131 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I already had my order in when they finally got the 900F on display, but I seriously had some regrets after my last BB visit and even expressed them on another AVS thread. The odd thing is this TV actually has a phenomenal picture out of the box, so not sure what they are up to over at BB these days. Those of us on this board just need to know better than to go by what we see at BB. Trust the knowledge on this board and on rtings, etc.. The facts were too strong to refuse for me, and now that I have the 900F I am way more pleased than I could have imagined.
Keithian likes this.

Main: Sony X900F 85" LED, Denon AVRX7200WA, Klipsh RC64II, RF7II (x2), CDT5650 C II (x8), PSA 15V Sub, RSL Speedwoofer 10S Sub
Home Gym: AVR3312CI, RC62II , RF62 II (x2), Polk RC80i (x2), R112SW Sub, Panasonic 65" Plasma
Zone #2 (Lanai): Denon HEOS Amp, Polk RC80i (x2), LG 43" LED DJ Studio: Event PS8's
post #132 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
But it's like a consumer can't win in these situations due to lack of equivalent choices at the 85" size. On one hand you get a Sony 900f with a very good picture, but not the best, great motion, with a horribly slow UI (according to reviews) . Then you have a Q9fn with everything you allude to which sounds ideal for my situation with windows directly opposite the TV.... But I'm 11- 12' from the picture and according to Rtings from that distance and with 75" you can't take advantage of 4k so it's like why oh why can't Samsung or Sony release a high end 85" Q9FN or the upcoming Z9f which was leaked today. It's so irritating lol. It feels like no matter what one does, there is a sacrifice. I didn't feel like I sacrificed anything when in 2011 I got the Elite. I felt like I got the very best possible for 1080i and streaming. Now I want the very best LCD picture, but at my distance and environment there is no such TV for 4k. The next house I buy better have an appropriate man cave lol.

Hi Keithan, I see you are still wrestling with the same discussion. I have been enjoying the 85" X900F for over two weeks now and I realize all these little worries of sacrifices I was going to have to make vs. OLED, etc. were simply cases of me over-obsessing and being paranoid lol. The PQ is so amazing on this TV, it is virtually impossible to imagine anything better when you are watching it. I know the OLED sets are better quality, but honestly, without a side by side comparison, you would be none the wiser for sure. I went and saw all the top of the line OLED tv's before my 900F arrived and sure in the store they all popped and destroyed the 900F in picture quality. I was regretting putting in my order. But now that I have this set at home, the PQ most certainly rivals that of the finest displays I have seen in person. I too have a bright room like you and the anti-glare surface is absolutely superb. And the brightness! ..it is so bright, if I am watching at night with lights off, the screen is so bright it makes me blink/squint when there are explosions, etc.

My cable signal leaves something to be desired but the upscaling is phenomenal otherwise. It is difficult to tell the different between 4K and 1080p when streaming from the 900F's internal Netflix or HBO Go 1080p content via Ethernet connection. When watching true 4K HDR sources, the colors, motion clarity, image detail, everything is simply breathtaking. I know you were waiting for my review and I have been too busy thoroughly enjoying my new TV since it arrived to have time to get back on here!
Buckeye Dave and Keithian like this.

Main: Sony X900F 85" LED, Denon AVRX7200WA, Klipsh RC64II, RF7II (x2), CDT5650 C II (x8), PSA 15V Sub, RSL Speedwoofer 10S Sub
Home Gym: AVR3312CI, RC62II , RF62 II (x2), Polk RC80i (x2), R112SW Sub, Panasonic 65" Plasma
Zone #2 (Lanai): Denon HEOS Amp, Polk RC80i (x2), LG 43" LED DJ Studio: Event PS8's
post #133 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-d View Post
Question on X900F arc capabilities. I just ordered this Tv and it should be here tomorrow.

In the TV manual it shows it supports the formats below
ARC Output Format: Two channel linear PCM: 48 kHz 16 bits, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS

Does “Two Channel linear PCM” mean that I would not get DD+ over arc? I am thinking that “two Channels” means stereo but it might mean something else. And then the next question would be if it does output DD+ over arc does that only include the apps on the TV or would it pass through from my Apple TV

I am debating if I should keep the Sony Z9F soundbar and surrounds I bought at BB open box for $750 pr wait for the sonos release on June 6th. If the sonos has HDMI arc and adds newer features I might want that. To be honest, even at $750 the sound on the Z9F is underwhelming compared to a sonos 5.1 system. The tech specs and the immersion on the Z9F are impressive but in real word use it sounds cheap and tinny compared to the sonos.

Thanks!

I was getting DD+ via ARC to my Denon AVR-X7200WA, but the connection was extremely buggy and the ARC audio return eventually stopped working for me entirely. Tried resetting everything, updating my Denon firmware and issues persisted. So I threw in the towel and opted for the Optical connection instead. In all fairness however, I am not sure if the issue was with the Sony, the Dennon, or some sort of odd handshake issue. Optical is working fabulously though.

post #134 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I was getting DD+ via ARC to my Denon AVR-X7200WA, but the connection was extremely buggy and the ARC audio return eventually stopped working for me entirely. Tried resetting everything, updating my Denon firmware and issues persisted. So I threw in the towel and opted for the Optical connection instead. In all fairness however, I am not sure if the issue was with the Sony, the Dennon, or some sort of odd handshake issue. Optical is working fabulously though.
Thanks! is this using a native TV app or does it work when using an external device like Apple TV, Blue Ray, etc.

Another question on the DD+ can your denon take the DD+ signal and decode it into Dolby Atmos? I know the Sony doesn't support Atmos but I was curios if the denon would be able to decode it. I know this isn't the true lossless Atmos but all I do is stream anyways so my understanding is that any Atmos over streaming is compressed.
post #135 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Keithan, I see you are still wrestling with the same discussion. I have been enjoying the 85" X900F for over two weeks now and I realize all these little worries of sacrifices I was going to have to make vs. OLED, etc. were simply cases of me over-obsessing and being paranoid lol. The PQ is so amazing on this TV, it is virtually impossible to imagine anything better when you are watching it. I know the OLED sets are better quality, but honestly, without a side by side comparison, you would be none the wiser for sure. I went and saw all the top of the line OLED tv's before my 900F arrived and sure in the store they all popped and destroyed the 900F in picture quality. I was regretting putting in my order. But now that I have this set at home, the PQ most certainly rivals that of the finest displays I have seen in person. I too have a bright room like you and the anti-glare surface is absolutely superb. And the brightness! ..it is so bright, if I am watching at night with lights off, the screen is so bright it makes me blink/squint when there are explosions, etc.

My cable signal leaves something to be desired but the upscaling is phenomenal otherwise. It is difficult to tell the different between 4K and 1080p when streaming from the 900F's internal Netflix or HBO Go 1080p content via Ethernet connection. When watching true 4K HDR sources, the colors, motion clarity, image detail, everything is simply breathtaking. I know you were waiting for my review and I have been too busy thoroughly enjoying my new TV since it arrived to have time to get back on here!
lol where were you when I needed you. Yes, I had been waiting, you were one of a handful of folks that I was very curious about, and i'm happy for you that you found a winner. My situation unfortunately is more complicated because of my interaction with a friend of a friend who works at Best Buy and not in sales. He traveled an hour a way to allow me to purchase the Q9FN at a 30% discount..but it had to be done in his name, with him as the billing address and me as the shipping. Since he had bad credit, I had to pay for that (and 3 LG Appliances I also wanted lol) in store with cash handing it to the salewoman with him present. If I want to exchange, or get a refund, or return, I probably have to get him back over here just to handle the interaction with the sales department not to mention get another friend's truck to fit the TV to return it. Coordinating all of that at a specific time is a pain. That's the pain for so much of a crazy discount. So I had to make a choice and based on reviews from Mark, Consumer Reports, Rtings, Forbes, Steve Withers, Trusted Reviews, Digital Trends, Moderwize etc and not discounting what FlatPanelHD stated and now Vincent (as one should look at the bad, not just the good we want to agree with) and based on the tilt from a couple of owners from the Q9FN thread, I chose the Q9FN. Toughest choice I've made in years lol. If I get the 900F, I'll regret I didn't try the Q9FN. If I got the Q9FN, I'll regret as I am now not trying the 900F or waiting for the Z9F.....so with that...I have to stick with what I chose and then I PROMISE if I don't like it or its a weird panel, I will try the 900F 85" lol. My situation with the Best Buy employee makes it too difficult to want to exchange for the same panel if I don't like the one I have and I'll probably irritate the Best Buy employee friend of a friend if I keep going back and forth..so I feel like I have one or two chances to get this right :-)
post #136 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
My cable signal leaves something to be desired but the upscaling is phenomenal otherwise.
You wanna see how impressive the upscaling truly is? Pop in a standard DVD. I've seen some that could darn near pass as a Blu-Ray. Even more impressive seeing it upscaled to look good on a 4K display! I believe the X1 Extreme chip may have something to do with this. The number crunching it must have to do to take something from around 300,000 pixels to over 8,000,000 is seriously impressive. Sure. TVs and media players have had built in upscaling forever now and many have done it quite well, but it seems that these Sonys kick it up a notch. Best I've come across yet.
post #137 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Has Sony gave a official release date yet for Dolby Vision was wanting to buy this tv but might have to wait tell update is release
post #138 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks! is this using a native TV app or does it work when using an external device like Apple TV, Blue Ray, etc.

Another question on the DD+ can your denon take the DD+ signal and decode it into Dolby Atmos? I know the Sony doesn't support Atmos but I was curios if the denon would be able to decode it. I know this isn't the true lossless Atmos but all I do is stream anyways so my understanding is that any Atmos over streaming is compressed.

I do not have any ARC/CEC issues with my X900F, Pioneer SC-LX701, and UBP-X700 UHD Player. Have been able to play Dolby Atmos and DTS:X without any issues via the UHD player and USB Key. I have not tried any streaming for Dolby Atmos yet, but if they provide it I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Sony XBR-85X900F
Sony UBP-X700 Ultra Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer SC-LX701 Receiver
post #139 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen S. Bowman View Post
Has Sony gave a official release date yet for Dolby Vision was wanting to buy this tv but might have to wait tell update is release

Just released today in Europe. Suppose to be about 1-2 weeks before the US gets it.

Sony XBR-85X900F
post #140 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmorrison View Post
I do not have any ARC/CEC issues with my X900F, Pioneer SC-LX701, and UBP-X700 UHD Player. Have been able to play Dolby Atmos and DTS:X without any issues via the UHD player and USB Key. I have not tried any streaming for Dolby Atmos yet, but if they provide it I wouldn't think it would be an issue.
Thanks, is your DVD player going directly to the receiver or is it going into the TV and then using arc for audio on your receiver?
post #141 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Just released today in Europe. Suppose to be about 1-2 weeks before the US gets it.
Thank you
post #142 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks, is your DVD player going directly to the receiver or is it going into the TV and then using arc for audio on your receiver?

UHD player is going directly to receiver via one HDMI cable as is the Cox Contour II cable box. HDMI out goes to the TV. ARC and CEC are enabled on all devices and can control each other, things like turn power on/off and volume control.

Sony XBR-85X900F
post #143 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
UHD player is going directly to receiver via one HDMI cable as is the Cox Contour II cable box. HDMI out goes to the TV. ARC and CEC are enabled on all devices and can control each other, things like turn power on/off and volume control.
By ARC I am referring to the Audio Return Channel feature of the TV. If I am not mistaken, what you are referring to (controlling power and volume) is CEC.

I use a Harmony Hub to control everything so CEC is not a concern. All of my sources go into my Denon receiver and the Denon outputs to the Sony. However, my PS4 does not output 4K via its built in NetFlix app, which is something I was not aware of prior to hooking up the 900F. Therefore, I must rely on the 900F's internal Netflix app to stream 4K on Netflix. So my intent was to have the audio send to my Denon receiver via the ARC connection on the Sony. It worked at first, but then became buggy and eventually did not work anymore. As far as I know there are no apps for the TV that output Atmos. I believe everything is Dolby. So my receiver is able to take the Dolby signal and expand it to DTS-X for very good sound. Works great with the optical cable. Although I wish I knew all this before I mounted the TV on the wall. Was a hassle to go back and run the Optical cable.

post #144 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Here's the link to my review: https://www.avsforum.com/review-sony-65-x900f-4k-hdr-tv/

Now, do not get upset that this is not a numbers-heavy review. Here's the reality of the situation: You should check out the rtings.com review if you are interested in measurements. Or subscribe to Consumer Reports. Either way, you want to get your measurements from an organization that is purchasing its own TVs, using consistent methodology, and compiling a large database. Only then do the numbers become explicitly useful. Performance characteristics that vary from sample to sample, such as peak brightness and screen uniformity, are subject to so-called cherry-picking. And the fact is that it's not just companies doing it, I've certainly read plenty of comments from forum members who have swapped out their TV, sometimes more than once, in a search for the best replacement panel.

So, I'm focusing on the lifestyle and usability elements, as well as the subjective holistic impression I get watching a TV. There are others dedicated to getting the numbers and I'd rather point you, the reader, to them as part of the process of reading reviews. Take my observations were what they are, use your own eyes, read reviews on Amazon as well as professional reviews, it's best to have a variety of sources of information when making a major purchase.

So, having said all that, way to go Sony. This is a nice TV, at a good price, available in the sizes you want be it 49" for a bedroom or 85" for a living room. That's awesome and makes it a Top Choice for 2018.
Excellent review! It was very much worth the wait for a review that provides a contrast (pun intended) to the "numbers" that are out there across the Web. I had already pulled the trigger on the 85" for my living room well before your review. After enjoying the amazing PQ (much better than I had expected from evaluating the "specs"), your review only further supports the very difficult decision this was for me. I was endlessly debating this product vs. the LG 77 C8, which would have been more expensive, better PQ, yet smaller screen. For my 12.5' seating distance/super bright room, the 85" 900F was definitely the right choice, not only on paper, but also taking into consideration all the "intangibles" ...especially since my prior set was 80". Thanks for putting up with all us impatient people this past month or so and for taking the time to share your valuable perspective.
Keithian likes this.

post #145 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
By ARC I am referring to the Audio Return Channel feature of the TV. If I am not mistaken, what you are referring to (controlling power and volume) is CEC.

In my earlier post I stated that I was receiving Dolby Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI via ARC.

Quote:

Quote:
I use a Harmony Hub to control everything so CEC is not a concern. All of my sources go into my Denon receiver and the Denon outputs to the Sony. However, my PS4 does not output 4K via its built in NetFlix app, which is something I was not aware of prior to hooking up the 900F. Therefore, I must rely on the 900F's internal Netflix app to stream 4K on Netflix. So my intent was to have the audio send to my Denon receiver via the ARC connection on the Sony. It worked at first, but then became buggy and eventually did not work anymore. As far as I know there are no apps for the TV that output Atmos. I believe everything is Dolby. So my receiver is able to take the Dolby signal and expand it to DTS-X for very good sound. Works great with the optical cable. Although I wish I knew all this before I mounted the TV on the wall. Was a hassle to go back and run the Optical cable.

I have read that supposedly ChromeCast Ultra can stream some stuff that has Dolby Atmos, don't have it, just what I read. My receiver does similar to yours in expanding out the source and it's works well. I do prefer the actual Dolby Atmos or DTS:X though.

Sony XBR-85X900F
post #146 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
In my earlier post I stated that I was receiving Dolby Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI via ARC.

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but you mentioned you had the UHD player/cable box, etc. plugged into your receiver and then the receiver outputting to the TV, which would not be ARC. Are you using some built in method to stream Atmos from the TV to the receiver? Would love to jump on that train!

Quote:
I have read that supposedly ChromeCast Ultra can stream some stuff that has Dolby Atmos, don't have it, just what I read. My receiver does similar to yours in expanding out the source and it's works well. I do prefer the actual Dolby Atmos or DTS:X though.
Not sure but there are many players, etc. that can stream Atmos to the reciever. I use a KDlinks A400 Android media player, does a great job with Atmos, DTS-MA, HDR, and anything else I throw at it. Not sure if it will do Dolby Vision though. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the 900F as much as I am though apparently!

post #147 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One person has mentioned a slow interface and said this is widely known. Have read reviews and this thread and have seen no one else mention it. To me the interface matters a whole lot more than many other things, especially since I'm not planning on having a cable box. Any real world experience?
post #148 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post
One person has mentioned a slow interface and said this is widely known. Have read reviews and this thread and have seen no one else mention it. To me the interface matters a whole lot more than many other things, especially since I'm not planning on having a cable box. Any real world experience?
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/so...a-x900f-series

The above is an example of what I've read about the interface.

Though you're right, real world experience from users is always a better benchmark. For me personally, this is not in my top 3 priorities, but I understand that everyone is different.
bluesun68 likes this.
post #149 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Forgive me if I misunderstood, but you mentioned you had the UHD player/cable box, etc. plugged into your receiver and then the receiver outputting to the TV, which would not be ARC. Are you using some built in method to stream Atmos from the TV to the receiver? Would love to jump on that train!

Not sure but there are many players, etc. that can stream Atmos to the reciever. I use a KDlinks A400 Android media player, does a great job with Atmos, DTS-MA, HDR, and anything else I throw at it. Not sure if it will do Dolby Vision though. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

I am waiting for the Apple TV to add Atmos. When they announced the 4k Apple tv they said it would be added. What I will need to do, assuming the new sonos playbar only has one HDMI, is plugin apple TV directly to the TV and then use ARC to the Playbar. I am wondering if this will still send the DD+ signal to the playbar. I understand the the internal apps on the TV will do this but not sure if it will pass through from an external device.

Thanks.
post #150 of 214 Old 05-24-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:

LOL after reading this article https://hometheaterreview.com/everyt...eturn-channel/ it looks like I did not really understand what ARC was. Thought it was either from all devices hooked to TV out to receiver or all devices hooked to receiver and out to the TV. Only the former is ARC.

So far the only things I have tested that way are YouTube and S_YouTube Atmos demo files and none worked that I could find. I also have a bunch of downloaded Atmos demo files on USB key and only the video worked with no audio. These files worked great when played in the UBP-X700 UHD player USB slot.

If I remember correctly, the Atmos demos did not work on the UBP-X700 YouTube app either. Just received DD or in some cases Ext-Stereo, same as the X900F app. I am not subscribed to Netflix and I have not tried anything else through the TV apps. When ATV implements the Dolby Atmos update I will probably get that for my streaming needs.

Sony XBR-85X900F

Last edited by mjmorrison; 05-24-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolby vision , sony x900f , x1 extreme , x900f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page