TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3807Likes

post #3661 of 7519 Old 09-07-2018, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
I'm shopping for a new budget TV and the TCL 6 Series is at the top of my list. With all the discussions of inconsistent implementations of ARC throughout these forums I'm wondering what people's experience has been with these 2 new sets (65R617 and 55R617)? Specifically I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has paired it with a Denon AVR-X22400H.

I prefer to run all sources through my AVR but I foresee using the built in ROKU Apps so I'm wondering what is my best option for routing audio from the TCL back through my AV system. My setup is currently 5.1 and I don't expect to add ATMOS for at least 2 years. Obviously ARC over HDMI would be the simplest connection but is it going to give me a lot of grief?

I'm cross-posting this in the 2017 Denon thread as well.
Thanks in advance.

I think most of these panels likely look great under standard viewing, and I also think the AVS Community, that I like very much mind you, is a small group of people that are generally more picky than others. As of ARC, I'm running it that way on my Onkyo receiver since I've owned the TV. I've had zero problems, however, I think I did read that other Denon user's ran into some issues. If you're looking for a budget TV that's still going to have a great picture, this is your TV, IMO. Just go into it knowing you're buying a budget TV and you should be very impressed with the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 7519 Old 09-07-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Definitely notice the Dirty Screen Effect, though it's less noticable than the LG U7700 I had before!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #3663 of 7519 Old 09-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
My older Onkyo receiver does not work with ARC so I oped for optical, works fine.
Matt, I'm looking at the TCL 6 55" and planning to run it, via HDMI or optical, via my older [circa 2008] Onyko as well, with a Logitech universal remote. Any other suggestions for the connections?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 7519 Old 09-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
I'm shopping for a new budget TV and the TCL 6 Series is at the top of my list. With all the discussions of inconsistent implementations of ARC throughout these forums I'm wondering what people's experience has been with these 2 new sets (65R617 and 55R617)? Specifically I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has paired it with a Denon AVR-X22400H.

I prefer to run all sources through my AVR but I foresee using the built in ROKU Apps so I'm wondering what is my best option for routing audio from the TCL back through my AV system. My setup is currently 5.1 and I don't expect to add ATMOS for at least 2 years. Obviously ARC over HDMI would be the simplest connection but is it going to give me a lot of grief?

Thanks in advance.
I have a Marantz NR1607 and have it hooked up via hdmi using ARC for any of the TV sound/apps and it works fine once you get it set correctly (few extra steps sometimes). The Volume, however isn't has great as running other sources through the AVR, it seems considerably lower and less bass it seems. This was the same when I was running the audio through optical out as well.
luv_mist likes this.
post #3665 of 7519 Old 09-07-2018, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I have a Denon S920W connected to a 65R617 using ARC and it has worked flawlessly for me. It's just a matter of enabling the correct settings in the TV as well as the AVR. My DirectTV and PS4 are plugged into my AVR, and I have just the one cord going to the TV. I haven't had any issues with control or sound. It's so easy even my tech-challenged wife has no problem with it
post #3666 of 7519 Old 09-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Truly great TV, very happy with it.

One thing that drives me nuts is that there is a single TV Brightness setting for all content.

When watching Dolby Vision, I like it on Higher. All other times I prefer on Darker. I am not the only one: both CNet and Rtings suggest toggling to Higher when watching HDR content.

Unfortunately, this setting seems to be global to SDR/HDR. I hate having to muck with it each time we switch between SDR and HDR programming. Other family members don't even bother.

Am I missing something?

-Chris
post #3667 of 7519 Old 09-07-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDiesel View Post
Matt, I'm looking at the TCL 6 55" and planning to run it, via HDMI or optical, via my older [circa 2008] Onyko as well, with a Logitech universal remote. Any other suggestions for the connections?
Optical should be fine. I've got my D DVR and my UHD player directly connect to the TCL, I did run opticals from both to the Onkyo, but to be honest I find little difference between using the TCL feed vs. the separate opticals.
post #3668 of 7519 Old 09-08-2018, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post

One thing that drives me nuts is that there is a single TV Brightness setting for all content.

When watching Dolby Vision, I like it on Higher. All other times I prefer on Darker. I am not the only one: both CNet and Rtings suggest toggling to Higher when watching HDR content.

Unfortunately, this setting seems to be global to SDR/HDR. I hate having to muck with it each time we switch between SDR and HDR programming. Other family members don't even bother.

Am I missing something?
I keep the overall brightness on normal. For dolby vision bumping the gamma to 1.8 with the roku app more than makes up for the overall tv brightness being on normal. I don't have to adjust anything and i don't need sunglasses to view the roku home screen.
post #3669 of 7519 Old 09-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkdrain1 View Post
I keep the overall brightness on normal. For dolby vision bumping the gamma to 1.8 with the roku app more than makes up for the overall tv brightness being on normal. I don't have to adjust anything and i don't need sunglasses to view the roku home screen.
Thanks. Tried it out but these settings don't work for me. Chalk it up to set variations, different viewing conditions, different tastes, or whatever....

Looks like there is no solution for automatically switching TV Brightness based on HDR/SDR content. I noticed that Vincent Teogh of HDTVTest had the same complaint in his informative review. (Posted earlier in this thread).

-Chris
post #3670 of 7519 Old 09-08-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoach View Post
I have a Marantz NR1607 and have it hooked up via hdmi using ARC for any of the TV sound/apps and it works fine once you get it set correctly (few extra steps sometimes). The Volume, however isn't has great as running other sources through the AVR, it seems considerably lower and less bass it seems. This was the same when I was running the audio through optical out as well.
I have 2 of the new TCL 6-series and am using ARC to provide sound back to JVC and Marantz SR5012 Receivers. While the sound works flawlessly on both, CEC still powers down both of my receivers when the screensaver kicks in, even though I have everything else besides ARC disabled under CEC (i.e. System audio control, 1-touch play, system standby are all disabled).

Anybody else seeing this?

I'm hoping that TCL will fix this via a future firmware update.
-Stach
post #3671 of 7519 Old 09-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Secret Screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
By pressing :Home, Home, Home, Home, Home, Rewind, Pause, Fast Forward, Pause, Rewind buttons in that order on your Roku remote it will open a secret menu that will let you turn Dolby Vision off. It will also let you completely turn HDR off as well if you wanted too. If you turn Dolby Vision off you will only have HDR10.
There are more secret menus. Below is a list based on a Reddit post. I have edited the screen names (some were incorrect/out of date.)

Code:
Home:5, FF:3, RW:2.............Secret Screen
Home:5, U, R, D, L, U..........Secret Screen 2
Home:5, U, D, U, D, U..........Wireless Secret Screen
Home:5, FF, PP, RW, PP, FF.....Secret TV Screen
Home:5, FF, D, RW, D, FF.......Platform Secret Screen
Home:5, RW:3, FF:2.............Bit Rate Override
Home:3, U:2, R, L, R, L, R.....Developer Settings
Home:3, U:2, L, R, L, R, L.....Channel Info
Home:5, R, L, R, L, R..........Network
Home:5, U, RW:2, FF:2..........Reboots Device
Use these at your own risk!

Credit to ShinigamiMachine at r/Roku.
mark2061 likes this.

-Chris
post #3672 of 7519 Old 09-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by StachStach View Post
I have 2 of the new TCL 6-series and am using ARC to provide sound back to JVC and Marantz SR5012 Receivers. While the sound works flawlessly on both, CEC still powers down both of my receivers when the screensaver kicks in, even though I have everything else besides ARC disabled under CEC (i.e. System audio control, 1-touch play, system standby are all disabled).

Anybody else seeing this?

I'm hoping that TCL will fix this via a future firmware update.
-Stach
I'm doing same with Yamaha YAS 207 and haven't noticed this.
post #3673 of 7519 Old 09-08-2018, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th St. View Post
I'm doing same with Yamaha YAS 207 and haven't noticed this.
Love my R615 but does anyone else notice a big sound lag?

saw it on all inputs on Arc and have now had to go optical and it's really noticeable.
post #3674 of 7519 Old 09-08-2018, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Noticed tonight when I clicked HDMI 2 wit no input on a big white dot on the red background. Is that dead pixels? Pic attached ..if I did it right . Will TCL replace my set for dead pixels?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_222500_1536472286081.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2453048  
post #3675 of 7519 Old 09-09-2018, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Scrolling Text?

I just picked up the 55" yesterday and am very impressed so far. Colors and blacks are amazing (coming from an IPS panel), however I use PS Vue - I know this is a 720P feed. When I put on a news channel with the scrolling text bar at the bottom of the screen it is jittery - not unclear, but a very fast sequence of starts and stops.

My older IPS is a 120hz screen and is smooth as silk with all text. Is this due to poor upscaling, 60hz vs 120hz, and most import - is there a solution? I have tried toggling on and off virtually every setting on the TV.

Would the Vizio P-F1 series with the 120hz panel have this same type of issue? I'm not sure the value is there for me to jump up to the Sony 900f.

Thanks,

Scott
post #3676 of 7519 Old 09-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a previous post with this problem?
My remote stopped working, or is not being recognized by my 55R615. I changed batteries, and either it is not working, or not pairing.
I can control the TV with the phone remote, but this has me stymied.

Suggestions? I have never had a remote die in less than a month.
Thanks,
Lyndon
post #3677 of 7519 Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndy46 View Post
Is there a previous post with this problem?
My remote stopped working, or is not being recognized by my 55R615. I changed batteries, and either it is not working, or not pairing.
I can control the TV with the phone remote, but this has me stymied.

Suggestions? I have never had a remote die in less than a month.
Thanks,
Lyndon
Have you tried using the pair remote menu on your TV?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3678 of 7519 Old 09-10-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I helped my Sister yesterday with her new equipment--> TCL615, Denon AVRS540BT & Spectrum (TW=Time Warner) Cable TV.

Using the TW remote to power-on all 3 devices with ONE Button Press, sometimes it would land on Input HDMI-3-ARC displaying the TW Feed (Where she wants it to be on startup)...But the majority of times it displays a Black Screen.

During the startup process, the TV screen display's "Looking For Signal" for just a few seconds, which is good but then it's a crap-shoot if it goes to the HDMI-3 or Black screen, then ya have to use the TCL Remote, hit the "HOME" button displaying the choices of Apps or the TW Feed.

I tried replacing & swapping the new Certified HDMI cables thinking some sort of handshake issue, still the same problem.

Streaming with the TCL onboard YouTube app worked great (impressive 4K image for an entry-level TV) so Pic & Sound Streaming is flowing properly.

Am I just missing a required setting in either the TV or Receiver? Is this an unsolvable & known issue?
post #3679 of 7519 Old 09-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post

Am I missing something?

I just leave my overall TV brightness set to "Brighter" for everything but for SDR content I have the TV brightness set to 45 in the advanced settings. This seems to work great for my viewing and I do not have mess with any picture settings now.
post #3680 of 7519 Old 09-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
rajendra82
Quote:
Have you tried using the pair remote menu on your TV?
How do I get to that? Having two Roku boxes, I understand what you are talking about, but can't get to a pair remote menu.

Also, it began to work again after 8 hours of not working. Go figure. But I am wondering about it going black, then the red start up screen for a bit, then the red screen in better definition...then back to menu screen. It did that three times yesterday, and there sure was not an update. Sigh...
And that connection between my receiver is donky. If I turn on the tv, it turns on my AV receiver, but no sound. If I turn off my receiver separately, and then go to the receiver logo, it says where is the signal, and then when I switch to a channel logo, it switches and connects, and then I can control the sound, etc. What the heck? Never had this handshake problem with my Panny plasma or Vizio cheapo.

Also, referring to the $20 remote on Roku's accessory page.
Roku® Streaming Stick® Voice Remote
Do this one have a mute button on the side? I thought someone mentioned that it does not. That is a deal breaker for me.
And the $30 version only had the addition of headphone? Is there a generic one on Amazon that does have the mute?
Thanks

Last edited by Lyndy46; 09-10-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Adding previous question
post #3681 of 7519 Old 09-10-2018, 12:27 PM

The lack of a dedicated mute button is easy to overcome. Just press the voice command button, and say mute.

When I get home I can let you know about the pair remote menu access method.

oldsteve likes this.

Last edited by rajendra82; 09-10-2018 at 12:39 PM.
post #3682 of 7519 Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My friend got the 65inch version of this tv. Looks tremendous. Are people just using the Rtings settings or is there a post with more detailed calibration?

HDR/DV has to be set to Bright and SDR has to be set Darker each time he’s watching that particular content correct?
post #3683 of 7519 Old 09-11-2018, 05:09 AM

I posted my setting earlier in the thread. Your friend can try them for himself. If he does use those, overall brightness switch is needed when going from SDR to HDR content.

post #3684 of 7519 Old 09-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Has anyone used a Darbee upscaler with this tv?
I know Oppo players used Darbee upscaling systems but Oppo went out of business.

https://www.amazon.com/DarbeeVision-...ustomerReviews
post #3685 of 7519 Old 09-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So is there no way to use number input from a controller to control the antenna TV station?
Also, is there any auto volume leveling control? Volume seems to jump from inputs.
post #3686 of 7519 Old 09-11-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
The lack of a dedicated mute button is easy to overcome. Just press the voice command button, and say mute.

When I get home I can let you know about the pair remote menu access method.

For the Ultra remote (RF one with headphone jack) - there is a pairing button in the battery compartment. Press it and then press a button on the front. It's paired.

Don Eilenberger
post #3687 of 7519 Old 09-11-2018, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
I helped my Sister yesterday with her new equipment--> TCL615, Denon AVRS540BT & Spectrum (TW=Time Warner) Cable TV.

Using the TW remote to power-on all 3 devices with ONE Button Press, sometimes it would land on Input HDMI-3-ARC displaying the TW Feed (Where she wants it to be on startup)...But the majority of times it displays a Black Screen.

During the startup process, the TV screen display's "Looking For Signal" for just a few seconds, which is good but then it's a crap-shoot if it goes to the HDMI-3 or Black screen, then ya have to use the TCL Remote, hit the "HOME" button displaying the choices of Apps or the TW Feed.

I tried replacing & swapping the new Certified HDMI cables thinking some sort of handshake issue, still the same problem.

Streaming with the TCL onboard YouTube app worked great (impressive 4K image for an entry-level TV) so Pic & Sound Streaming is flowing properly.

Am I just missing a required setting in either the TV or Receiver? Is this an unsolvable & known issue?
One place to check would be the POWER ON TO setting. I think by default it is set to HOME SCREEN, but you can select which INPUT you would like it to start up on at POWER ON.

From the Roku Home Screen select SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER -- POWER ON. You can select to have it ALWAYS POWER ON to Home Screen, Last Used TV Input, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3 or Antenna TV.

Perhaps that will give her the desired POWER ON routine that she would like.

FYI. I have mine set to POWER ON to HOME SCREEN. If I POWER OFF the TV while in a streaming app (i.e. YouTube) without exiting and returning to HOME SCREEN, then on the next POWER ON it will start on the HOME SCREEN but jump to the app you were in at POWER OFF on the HOME SCREEN.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)

Last edited by blade005; 09-11-2018 at 03:57 PM.
post #3688 of 7519 Old 09-11-2018, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So does this year's model actually have access to all settings in the goddamn TV without hiding them behind a stupid phone app? They put Netflix and all this other junk in TVs, but not full access to settings? It's ridiculous. Also, what's the difference between 615 and 617? Same as last year with BB's model?
post #3689 of 7519 Old 09-11-2018, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLifeDGenerate View Post
So does this year's model actually have access to all settings in the goddamn TV without hiding them behind a stupid phone app? They put Netflix and all this other junk in TVs, but not full access to settings? It's ridiculous. Also, what's the difference between 615 and 617? Same as last year with BB's model?
Same as last years P-Series models to both of your questions.

1. EXPERT PICTURE SETTINGS (Gamma, Noise Reduction, White Balance, Color Space) only accessible through Roku app on phone or tablet.
2. Only difference between Best Buy (615) and Amazon (617) model offerings are the remote. (Best Buy is the Standard IR Remote. Amazon is the Enhanced WiFi Remote.)

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)
post #3690 of 7519 Old 09-11-2018, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a rattling sound issue on certain tv programs that I am watching. Not everything I do does it but just certain programs I am watching and it gets a little annoying. I tried the power off trick someone else mentioned. But it still does it. Is this a blown speaker? What are my options, other than setting up a soundbar but don’t really want to set up one yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page