TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3808Likes

post #3691 of 7520 Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Remap Remote App Launch Buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post
There are more secret menus. Below is a list based on a Reddit post. I have edited the screen names (some were incorrect/out of date.)

Code:
Home:5, FF:3, RW:2.............Secret Screen
Home:5, U, R, D, L, U..........Secret Screen 2
Home:5, U, D, U, D, U..........Wireless Secret Screen
Home:5, FF, PP, RW, PP, FF.....Secret TV Screen
Home:5, FF, D, RW, D, FF.......Platform Secret Screen
Home:5, RW:3, FF:2.............Bit Rate Override
Home:3, U:2, R, L, R, L, R.....Developer Settings
Home:3, U:2, L, R, L, R, L.....Channel Info
Home:5, R, L, R, L, R..........Network
Home:5, U, RW:2, FF:2..........Reboots Device
Use these at your own risk!

Credit to ShinigamiMachine at r/Roku.
Many thanks for the secret codes. On a similar note, is there any way to remap the Netflix, Sling, Hulu or Now buttons on the included remote to something MUCH more useful, like directly selecting an Input or launching the app of your choice??? It'd be great if that was possible via a normal menu, secret menu or firmware upgrade if not, as that would make them FAR more useful to us.
johst16 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 7520 Old 09-11-2018, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Same as last years P-Series models to both of your questions.

1. EXPERT PICTURE SETTINGS (Gamma, Noise Reduction, White Balance, Color Space) only accessible through Roku app on phone or tablet.
2. Only difference between Best Buy (615) and Amazon (617) model offerings are the remote. (Best Buy is the Standard IR Remote. Amazon is the Enhanced WiFi Remote.)
What exactly does this enhanced remote do different? I got a P607 from BB last year, and I'm tempted to get another TCL this year. I'm trying to compare the TCL P 55" to the same size models of other brands this year as a 2nd screen because my 40 inch Samsung has burn-in (I run 3 screens). It seems to have better input lag than most and plenty of brightness/contrast. Sony pisses me off because of their terrible [email protected] input lag and not all ports being full bandwith at their price. I question the quality of Samsung at this point. Vizio has only 1 port with really low input lag, and it doesn't support HDR. That's just stupid.

Last edited by NoLifeDGenerate; 09-11-2018 at 08:08 PM.
post #3693 of 7520 Old 09-12-2018, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johst16 View Post
I have a rattling sound issue on certain tv programs that I am watching. Not everything I do does it but just certain programs I am watching and it gets a little annoying. I tried the power off trick someone else mentioned. But it still does it. Is this a blown speaker? What are my options, other than setting up a soundbar but don’t really want to set up one yet.

It seems to be just that, a rattle on certain frequencies. I don't use my tv speakers as a primary, so I just let it go. Several people have mentioned this, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 7520 Old 09-12-2018, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLifeDGenerate View Post
What exactly does this enhanced remote do different? I got a P607 from BB last year, and I'm tempted to get another TCL this year. I'm trying to compare the TCL P 55" to the same size models of other brands this year as a 2nd screen because my 40 inch Samsung has burn-in (I run 3 screens). It seems to have better input lag than most and plenty of brightness/contrast. Sony pisses me off because of their terrible [email protected] input lag and not all ports being full bandwith at their price. I question the quality of Samsung at this point. Vizio has only 1 port with really low input lag, and it doesn't support HDR. That's just stupid.
The enhanced remote has a headphone jack button at the bottom, which allows private listening to the content. The remote also has a voice button, which allows you to do a system wide content search, and issue a few voice commands. I have a remote one step below the enhanced one, and I like the feel of the Roku remote buttons better than the TCL remote.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3695 of 7520 Old 09-12-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
One place to check would be the POWER ON TO setting. I think by default it is set to HOME SCREEN, but you can select which INPUT you would like it to start up on at POWER ON.

From the Roku Home Screen select SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER -- POWER ON. You can select to have it ALWAYS POWER ON to Home Screen, Last Used TV Input, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3 or Antenna TV.

Perhaps that will give her the desired POWER ON routine that she would like.

FYI. I have mine set to POWER ON to HOME SCREEN. If I POWER OFF the TV while in a streaming app (i.e. YouTube) without exiting and returning to HOME SCREEN, then on the next POWER ON it will start on the HOME SCREEN but jump to the app you were in at POWER OFF on the HOME SCREEN.
We did try the settings system power several times on Last-Home-HDMI3. Always a mystery as to where it's gonna end up at. Usually Black Screen.
post #3696 of 7520 Old 09-12-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone with the enhanced remote check to see if it is possible to use "Voice Search" to navigate to a specific Antenna TV Channel?
Ie. Navigate from channel 2.1 to channel 45.1

If this works, then I wouldn't have to scroll through tons of channels to get to a specific one.
post #3697 of 7520 Old 09-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
Can someone with the enhanced remote check to see if it is possible to use "Voice Search" to navigate to a specific Antenna TV Channel?
Ie. Navigate from channel 2.1 to channel 45.1

If this works, then I wouldn't have to scroll through tons of channels to get to a specific one.
I don't have my TV hooked up to an antenna, but apparently, yes.

What can I do with voice search?
Below is a list of the voice search commands you can use with any Roku streaming device, along with some examples.

Find a specific title
  • “Harry Potter”
  • “find Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”
  • “show me episodes of Silicon Valley”
  • Find content for an actor or director
  • “Halle Berry”
  • “search for comedy movies with Will Ferrell”
  • “find all Martin Scorsese films”

Find content in a genre
  • “show me comedies”
  • “find thriller movies”

Find content in a genre on a channel
  • “show documentary films on Hulu”
  • Launch a streaming channel
  • “go to Amazon”
  • “launch HBO Now”
  • “Hulu”

Roku TV voice controls
In addition to the examples listed above, you can use the additional voice commands listed below to control your Roku TV.

Switch inputs
  • “switch the input to HDMI 3”
  • “switch to antenna TV”
  • Change broadcast channels
  • “channel up”
  • “last channel”
  • “tune to NBC”
  • “tune to channel 7 dot 1"
  • Launch Smart Guide
  • “show the guide”
  • “Smart Guide”

Last edited by rajendra82; 09-12-2018 at 10:35 PM.
post #3698 of 7520 Old 09-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StachStach View Post
is there any way to remap the Netflix, Sling, Hulu or Now buttons on the included remote to something MUCH more useful, like directly selecting an Input or launching the app of your choice?
Not possible to my knowledge. If you're unhappy with the buttons, your best bet would be to get a Harmony remote. I use a 650, plan to post some activity settings and mappings here once I finalize things (still messing about....)

-Chris
post #3699 of 7520 Old 09-12-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndy46 View Post
rajendra82

How do I get to that? Having two Roku boxes, I understand what you are talking about, but can't get to a pair remote menu.
To pair a remote, the menu is found under:
Settings -> Remote -> Pair Remote
post #3700 of 7520 Old 09-13-2018, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Random question:

Is there a way to get rid of the volume indicator on the top right? It is rather large and pretty annoying when I'm turning up/down volume during movies/shows.
post #3701 of 7520 Old 09-13-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a 55r615 while I was on a trip to the US. Replaced my Sony 43x800d. Impressed with how fast the UI is, especially coming the Sony which was extremely laggy. TV works perfectly with my Nvidia Shield.

I don't really notice any DSE in most the content I watch so I'm happy with that. And HDR content looks way better than on my Sony.
post #3702 of 7520 Old 09-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone having issues with the YouTube app? I can't get any 4k videos to display 4K. 4k videos used to work fine, but now the highest resolution I can select is 1080p. I've reinstalled the app and still doesn't display in 4K. The HDR works fine...
post #3703 of 7520 Old 09-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
well i just sold my 55 inch c7 going to bestbuy later to either get this set or the vizio p not sure if i wanna save money and get the 55 inch or go with the 65 inch. im a huge gamer reason i sold the oled no burn in but i was tired of worrying about it happening one day. anything i should know about before going with the 6 series? besides the dse
post #3704 of 7520 Old 09-13-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboi89 View Post
well i just sold my 55 inch c7 going to bestbuy later to either get this set or the vizio p not sure if i wanna save money and get the 55 inch or go with the 65 inch. im a huge gamer reason i sold the oled no burn in but i was tired of worrying about it happening one day. anything i should know about before going with the 6 series? besides the dse
Go with the TCL 6 series, since you are a big gamer. It gives you low latency game mode and HDR on all three HDMI ports. The Vizio doesn't have that, with HDR only on most ports and low latency only on one port. You want both at the same time. Chosing 55 vs 65 will come down to viewing distance and cost.

luv_mist and Bamaboi89 like this.
post #3705 of 7520 Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can someone explain to me how the hell Rtings says that the Samsung Q8FN has "excellent" peak brightness and this TCL 6 series has "great" brightness when the TCL is clearly much brighter by the numbers? I'm looking at the SDR section, but TCL is higher on both. Samsung has significantly higher contrast though. Not sure what's better.
post #3706 of 7520 Old 09-13-2018, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Does anyone know what TCL is supposed to show at CES for next year's models? Bigger sizes then 65", new tech?
post #3707 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
Go with the TCL 6 series, since you are a big gamer. It gives you low latency game mode and HDR on all three HDMI ports. The Vizio doesn't have that, with HDR only on most ports and low latency only on one port. You want both at the same time. Chosing 55 vs 65 will come down to viewing distance and cost.

i went with the 55 inch. the box barely fit in my car the doors did not close all the way but they did latch on. i was determine to leave with it lol
post #3708 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 02:34 AM

anybody getting dolby vision through the xbox one x on this set? worked fine on my c7 now its greyed out
post #3709 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 06:05 AM

Don't know how to feel about this tv. First night was not good at least with movie watching. Games look great. I've tried rtings settings nothing helped. Anything with letterbox appears slightly grey with contrast on high. Top worse than bottom. If the image is bright enough you don't notice but it's there and I can't unsee it. Gonna try bias lighting before I decide to return it or not. Not having dv through xbox one x is another downer for me. Dv through Xbox Netflix app looked great on my c7 better than my apple tv 4k. Btw forza horizon 4 looks great in hdr on this set
post #3710 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
anybody getting dolby vision through the xbox one x on this set? worked fine on my c7 now its greyed out
Xbox doesn't support dolby vision. They're currently testing it in a preview build. So unless you're in that no Dolby vision...
post #3711 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceKee View Post
Xbox doesn't support dolby vision. They're currently testing it in a preview build. So unless you're in that no Dolby vision...
im in preview thats reason i asked...its greyed out on this tv. says this tv is using an older verson of dv worked fine on my oled
post #3712 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
im in preview thats reason i asked...its greyed out on this tv. says this tv is using an older verson of dv worked fine on my oled
TCL/Roku could always update the tv to the newest Dolby Vision. Not many tvs use that updated profile that the preview xbox build uses yet, but I can see it being added in the future.
post #3713 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Don't know how to feel about this tv. First night was not good at least with movie watching. Games look great. I've tried rtings settings nothing helped. Anything with letterbox appears slightly grey with contrast on high. Top worse than bottom. If the image is bright enough you don't notice but it's there and I can't unsee it. Gonna try bias lighting before I decide to return it or not. Not having dv through xbox one x is another downer for me. Dv through Xbox Netflix app looked great on my c7 better than my apple tv 4k. Btw forza horizon 4 looks great in hdr on this set
Are you certain local contrast is on high? When you turn on game mode, local contrast defaults to off, and you have to manually change it back to high. With local contrast high, the letterbox bars are typically pitch black for me, and only change temporarily when a bright scene blooms into them.

Ben23 likes this.
post #3714 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 02:29 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked: 6225
What Dolby Vision UHD BD players work with this TV? Does the Sony DV implementation work with it?

I've been looking at my options for replacing my 2015 Sony UHD TV. And since this 65" TV is so low in cost, yet is reviewed well and great for gaming, I'm thinking about getting it from Best Buy instead of the Sony 900F or Vizio P series or Vizio P quantum.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3715 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
Are you certain local contrast is on high? When you turn on game mode, local contrast defaults to off, and you have to manually change it back to high. With local contrast high, the letterbox bars are typically pitch black for me, and only change temporarily when a bright scene blooms into them.

yes its on high in movie mode with darker brightness and its still noticeable. will take pictures tonight when the room is darker. i havent noticed much dse which is why im not ready to return. but im starting to think the glowing im seeing is because of the tv being mounted too high. my last tv before my oled was the 2016 p series and i seen the same glow in the top letterbox...and with the mounting holes lower on this tv its sitting even higher. i will move the mount down this weekend and see if that helps
post #3716 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
yes its on high in movie mode with darker brightness and its still noticeable. will take pictures tonight when the room is darker. i havent noticed much dse which is why im not ready to return. but im starting to think the glowing im seeing is because of the tv being mounted too high. my last tv before my oled was the 2016 p series and i seen the same glow in the top letterbox...and with the mounting holes lower on this tv its sitting even higher. i will move the mount down this weekend and see if that helps
I think that would explain it. The off angle contrast drops off, so you are likely seeing that in the top bar.

Bamaboi89 likes this.
post #3717 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 05:04 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Any LCD TV should be tilted so it's facing your eyes.

I've decided to get this from BestBuy since I have a 10% off coupon. Which makes for a very good price. Hopefully I can get it delivered next weekend.

I just hope I don't have any issues since it's only a 60fps TV. I've really gotten used to 120fps from my current UHD TV.
Bamaboi89 likes this.

post #3718 of 7520 Old 09-14-2018, 07:07 PM
UHD Addict

I just pulled the trigger on this 65" version. I went to the store to take a look at it and when I got home I tried to order online. But it wasn't showing the 10% Birthday discount. So I had to call and the CSR applied the 10% discount to the current sale price. Which also ended up lowering the 5 year extended warranty. Plus they had 24 months with 0% interest too. So I am very happy for what I paid. I only wish I would have decided this a few days ago.

Delivery won't be until Next weekend. And then I'll have them haul away my DLP set. And move my 2015 Sony UHD TV in it's place. And put the TCL where the Sony was.

I only just decided on this today. Partially because a co-worker has the 55" version and has been very pleased with it. And partially from the rtings review. I was really thinking about something more expensive. But I figure for half the price of a Sony or P Quantum, I can get this now which should blow away the Sony 850C I have now. And then I could always upgrade in a few years again. Although I will miss having 3D capability in my UHD setup. But I hope that having Dolby Vision will partially make up for it.

If I had decided this a few days ago I could have picked up an LG Dolby Vision capable player for under $50. But all the open box ones have been sold at Best Buy now.

post #3719 of 7520 Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 AM

thinking about exchanging dont think moving the mount down some will change much....watching black panther on netflix i can the see the leds pulsing in the letterbox top and bottom. but anything without letterbox its perfect black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_012718.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	697.9 KB
ID:	2455438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_012640.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	658.0 KB
ID:	2455440   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_014421.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	2455442  
post #3720 of 7520 Old 09-15-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
thinking about exchanging dont think moving the mount down some will change much....watching black panther on netflix i can the see the leds pulsing in the letterbox top and bottom. but anything without letterbox its perfect black
That much level of blooming is probably not uncommon on a FALD set. You only have so many zones to work with, and a bright scene next to the letterbox bars is generally going to bloom into them, unless you lower the brightness of the main picture for keeping the bars fully black, a sacrifice not worth making IMO. Only an OLED, or a plasma, with individually lit pixels can keep the letterbox bar uniformity.

Last edited by rajendra82; 09-15-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page