TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3802Likes

post #3721 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
That much level of blooming is probably not uncommon on a FALD set. You only have so many zones to work with, and a bright scene next to the letterbox bars is generally going to bloom into them, unless you lower the brightness of the main picture for keeping the bars fully black, a sacrifice not worth making IMO. Only an OLED, or a plasma, with individually lit pixels can keep the letterbox bar uniformity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No, his looks bad

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboi89 View Post
thinking about exchanging dont think moving the mount down some will change much....watching black panther on netflix i can the see the leds pulsing in the letterbox top and bottom. but anything without letterbox its perfect black
This is the one issue that bugs me the most on this tv. I went through 4 sets to find one that wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, they all are bad to a certain degree. I've found that every couple days if I massage the screen from the outside corners in, then grab the top corner and give the set a little shake, it gets better. I don't have to do it as often now. It seems to keep the black uniformity better, over time. It's weird. It's like there is a build up of static that collects in spots to cause it. Unfortunately, it'll never go away completely. But my method works if you have certain spots that are really bad. TCL could use an update to make those areas where black bars are more aggressive with dimming. Black Panther is the movie where it shows up the worst for me. You do get used to it after a while. At first it's very distracting. Bias lighting can help alot. If you look at my post history, I've posted alot of pics of 6 series sets I've had that showed how bad it gets. Good luck.
aaronwt and Bamaboi89 like this.
post #3723 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
No, his looks bad
I am not seeing what you are, apparently. Can you describe specifically what looks bad? Not trying to argue, just want to learn to spot issues.

For example this is what he posted, which looks fine to me:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...p;d=1536994173

Compare that to your picture from an earlier post. I agree that looks horrible, but I am starting to wonder how much of it is due to the overlay white text:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...p;d=1527784632

My TV is shown in the images attached. The bars in the letterbox are obviously neither fully black, nor uniform at all times; but I would rather have the image be as bright as it is, and forget about how the bars look like.

P.S.: That last image has been used in the Vizio PQ65 forum to show the gradient banding issues it has. In comparison, my TV is certainly doing a better job. The letterbox bars in the Vizio picture aren't fully black either, with a gray zone in the area above the flame of the candle.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...p;d=1536948539

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180915_193459.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2456198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180915_193502.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2456200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180915_193757.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2456202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180915_193813.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	961.9 KB
ID:	2456204  
Bamaboi89 likes this.

Last edited by rajendra82; 09-16-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Hey all...Thinking about this display as my first 4K set. I am a little worried about the panel lottery with the banding and reported poor customer service from TCL. Have the newer shipments had a better QC with regard to the banding/poor panels? I assume I would prefer the FALD set over the edge-lit 5S series. (brightness)

I am coming from a D-series Samsung that has been a good display, but has severe flashlighting/clouds in dark scenes. (I am certain that I'm the only one in my family that sees it).
This would be our main/living room display. We watch Spectrum cable, Shield (Netflix/Hulu/Prime), and my son games via Xbox. Medium bright room with a large window right next to the set. Reflection on the D-series has been horrible. There is a lamp directly across the room that will show up as bright as can be in the mirror finish of the Samsung.

Any reason to purchase the extended warranty? I have double warranty if using my Capital One card...
Is TCL's CS really that bad?

Just trying to eliminate as much doubt as possible before purchase.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #3725 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Hey all...Thinking about this display as my first 4K set. I am a little worried about the panel lottery with the banding and reported poor customer service from TCL. Have the newer shipments had a better QC with regard to the banding/poor panels? I assume I would prefer the FALD set over the edge-lit 5S series. (brightness)

I am coming from a D-series Samsung that has been a good display, but has severe flashlighting/clouds in dark scenes. (I am certain that I'm the only one in my family that sees it).
This would be our main/living room display. We watch Spectrum cable, Shield (Netflix/Hulu/Prime), and my son games via Xbox. Medium bright room with a large window right next to the set. Reflection on the D-series has been horrible. There is a lamp directly across the room that will show up as bright as can be in the mirror finish of the Samsung.

Any reason to purchase the extended warranty? I have double warranty if using my Capital One card...
Is TCL's CS really that bad?

Just trying to eliminate as much doubt as possible before purchase.
My experience with two sets has been good. Only issue with mine is slight DSE (visible only in specific test videos) and a small area of what I think is dirt behind screen that can't be seen at a normal distance. My son's set, bought more recently, appears even better than mine in the limited one evening of testing and setup I did. Take this information for what it's worth.

I haven't had to deal with TCL CS, so can't tell you anything there.

As for extended warranty, I typically never buy any. You are rolling the dice, that the money you save by not buying it will pay for the rare replacement you will need.

Last edited by rajendra82; 09-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.
post #3726 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplizit View Post
This is the one issue that bugs me the most on this tv. I went through 4 sets to find one that wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, they all are bad to a certain degree. I've found that every couple days if I massage the screen from the outside corners in, then grab the top corner and give the set a little shake, it gets better. I don't have to do it as often now. It seems to keep the black uniformity better, over time. It's weird. It's like there is a build up of static that collects in spots to cause it. Unfortunately, it'll never go away completely. But my method works if you have certain spots that are really bad. TCL could use an update to make those areas where black bars are more aggressive with dimming. Black Panther is the movie where it shows up the worst for me. You do get used to it after a while. At first it's very distracting. Bias lighting can help alot. If you look at my post history, I've posted alot of pics of 6 series sets I've had that showed how bad it gets. Good luck.
you're right. tried another movie on netflix and bars are staying black for the most part. im using the roku netflix app and the time stamp and video resolution stays on screen the whole time is this a known issue? i factory reset last time and it went away but its back now
post #3727 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboi89 View Post
you're right. tried another movie on netflix and bars are staying black for the most part. im using the roku netflix app and the time stamp and video resolution stays on screen the whole time is this a known issue? i factory reset last time and it went away but its back now
No need to factory reset to get rid of the Netflix stream info. You need to press * when on the Netflix menu screen, and it will toggle that on and off during the content.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=101240
Bamaboi89 likes this.

Last edited by rajendra82; 09-15-2018 at 04:17 PM.
post #3728 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
My experience with two sets has been good. Only issue with mine is slight DSE (visible only in specific test videos) and a small area of what I think is dirt behind screen that can't be seen at a normal distance. My son's set, bought more recently appears, even better than mine in the limited one evening of testing and setup I did. Take this information for what it's worth.

I haven't had to deal with TCL CS, so can't tell you anything there.

As for extended warranty, I typically never buy any. You are rolling the dice, that the money you save by not buying it will pay for the rare replacement you will need.

Thank you. I have seen reference to DSE, but am not familiar with the acronym. A little help?

Edit: NVM..I did a quick Google. Thanks again.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #3729 of 7515 Old 09-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Thank you. I have seen reference to DSE, but am not familiar with the acronym. A little help?
It stands for dirty screen effect. It's gray uniformity issues showing up when camera pans on a uniform color, and making it look like your screen is dirty. Shows up most easily when watching special test videos like the one below, watching sports, where the playing surface is uniform, and spinning the camera around the sky when playing games:

post #3730 of 7515 Old 09-18-2018, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding an aspect of my R615 that is becoming extremely annoying. I apologize if this has been asked already but the search option is yielding no results. My question is:

Is there any way to change a setting so that my my set's backlight doesn't significantly increase whenever video content isn't be played? Whether it's my home screen, netflix menus, or literally any other app, my backlight boosts to extremely uncomfortable levels any time I am not actively playing video. For SDR content, I have calibrated my TV under the "darker" setting and use a backlight of 5 (around 140 nits) for most of my viewing. This is perfectly fine when anything is playing, but in my dim viewing environment, backing back out to a menu is bright to the point where I have to squint or look away from the set to tolerate it. When I start playing content again, I can see the backlight lowering back down to the intended value for the first second or so.

Please tell me this isn't something I have to just accept as a quirk of the set.
coneslayer likes this.
post #3731 of 7515 Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJra View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding an aspect of my R615 that is becoming extremely annoying. I apologize if this has been asked already but the search option is yielding no results. My question is:

Is there any way to change a setting so that my my set's backlight doesn't significantly increase whenever video content isn't be played? Whether it's my home screen, netflix menus, or literally any other app, my backlight boosts to extremely uncomfortable levels any time I am not actively playing video. For SDR content, I have calibrated my TV under the "darker" setting and use a backlight of 5 (around 140 nits) for most of my viewing. This is perfectly fine when anything is playing, but in my dim viewing environment, backing back out to a menu is bright to the point where I have to squint or look away from the set to tolerate it. When I start playing content again, I can see the backlight lowering back down to the intended value for the first second or so.

Please tell me this isn't something I have to just accept as a quirk of the set.
sorry to be the bearer of bad news But yes it defaults to Whatever setting you have the main brightness set for on all inputs... Darker, dark, normal, bright, brighter. I just resigned myself to keeping the remote and quickly switching from brighter to darker After playing HDR content (brighter) and going back to the menu.

it is a sad But true unchangeable experience at this time
post #3732 of 7515 Old 09-19-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I assume you are watching this in near pitch black condition. If so, I highly recommend bias lighting, as it can lessen the eyestrain, and will let you watch content and menu at the same backlight level.

aaronwt likes this.
post #3733 of 7515 Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by klocker View Post
sorry to be the bearer of bad news But yes it defaults to Whatever setting you have the main brightness set for on all inputs... Darker, dark, normal, bright, brighter. I just resigned myself to keeping the remote and quickly switching from brighter to darker After playing HDR content (brighter) and going back to the menu.

it is a sad But true unchangeable experience at this time
I have noticed this behavior for our TCLs. Unfortunately, my issue seems to be separate from this darker-brighter setting. To give a bit more context, when turning on the TV and having it boot to the Roku home screen for first time, backlight is perfect. It appears to be properly set and I can navigate around my app grid without the eye strain I mentioned. However, the second I click on any app (netflix, amazon prime, twitch, etc.), the backlight boosts to a much higher level until I start watching any SDR video. This behavior is present even when playing exclusively SDR material (not touching HDR whatsoever). From this point on, backing out to the Roku home screen (which was fine at boot) or navigating any app will now have the backlight at a dramatically brighter level. Keep in mind this is with both adjustable backlight settings at just about minimum (darker, backlight at 05).

I can demonstrate this tonight by hooking up my meter and recording the luminance values on these menus. A perfect question which would help me figure out this is specific to my set would be this: Assuming you boot to the Roku home screen, do you notice any difference in backlight intensity on that menu between when you turn on your tv for the first time and when returning to it to change apps/inputs/browse content, etc.?

Quote:
I assume you are watching this in near pitch black condition. If so, I highly recommend bias lighting, as it can lessen the eyestrain, and will let you watch content and menu at the same backlight level.
I do actually have bias lighting installed on my set (a white led luminoodle strip) and while it does help reduce the eyestrain, the backlight intensity still creates an uncomfortable experience on these menus. Additionally, I intended to use the bias lighting almost exclusively with HDR content due to being in a near fully dark room as you correctly assume. But this menu backlight issue put everything on hold until I sort out whether this is working as intended or if something is indeed amiss.

Last edited by KenJra; 09-19-2018 at 11:30 AM.
post #3734 of 7515 Old 09-19-2018, 11:49 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
I have noticed this behavior for our TCLs. Unfortunately, my issue seems to be separate from this darker-brighter setting. To give a bit more context, when turning on the TV and having it boot to the Roku home screen for first time, backlight is perfect. It appears to be properly set and I can navigate around my app grid without the eye strain I mentioned. However, the second I click on any app (netflix, amazon prime, twitch, etc.), the backlight boosts to a much higher level until I start watching any SDR video. This behavior is present even when playing exclusively SDR material (not touching HDR whatsoever). From this point on, backing out to the Roku home screen (which was fine at boot) or navigating any app will now have the backlight at a dramatically brighter level. Keep in mind this is with both adjustable backlight settings at just about minimum (darker, backlight at 05).

I can demonstrate this tonight by hooking up my meter and recording the luminance values on these menus. A perfect question which would help me figure out this is specific to my set would be this: Assuming you boot to the Roku home screen, do you notice any difference in backlight intensity on that menu between when you turn on your tv for the first time and when returning to it to change apps/inputs/browse content, etc.?

I do actually have bias lighting installed on my set (a white led luminoodle strip) and while it does help reduce the eyestrain, the backlight intensity still creates an uncomfortable experience on these menus. Additionally, I intended to use the bias lighting almost exclusively with HDR content due to being in a near fully dark room as you correctly assume. But this menu backlight issue put everything on hold until I sort out whether this is working as intended or if something is indeed amiss.
I've been using bias lighting since 2001 when I got my first HDTV. Whether SDR or HDR content, a bias light will help reduce the eye strain.

My 65" 6 series is supposed to be delivered Saturday. Hopefully I have no issues with my set. But my main concern is getting it mounted on the stand I have. Both my 20 15 Sony UHD TV currently on the stand and the TCL are within a few pounds of each other. And for me, 65" is borderline to be handling it by itself.

The stand has a mount on it, like a wall mount. But it's just part of the stand that also gives me three levels to put components on it,

I need to remove my existing Sony UHDTV, put the feet on it and move it to my living room. Then I need to put the bracket on the TCL and mount it on the stand.

This is the TransDeco stand I got from Amazon, back in 2015. It allows a 12 degree tilt up and down. And a 15 degree pivot left and right. Which makes it very easy to adjust it properly for almost any seating position.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-19-2018 at 11:54 AM.
post #3735 of 7515 Old 09-19-2018, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey everyone! I just received the 65R617 and wanted to share my experience so far.

I've not seen ANY vertical banding on my panel which was a tremendous relief. I've noticed a little bit of DSE but I have to look hard for it. The screen is pretty reflective but the panel's brightness goes a long way to offset it. The vignetting is quite noticeable but I can't say it bothers me, personally. I also thought streaming sports looked lackluster. I've tried playing around with settings but haven't found any that make me completely happy watching sports.

The first thing I did was plug in the rtings.com 11 point calibration settings. I don't know if they work for everyone but they seem absolutely spot on for my panel. Skin tones are the most natural I've ever seen on any TV. HDR is absolutely mind blowing. You have to make sure to set the TV to HDR Bright. The colors pop off the screen and the contrast is phenomenal. In the first episode of Planet Earth II, the volcanic eruption scenes had me clapping and giggling like a little kid. Destiny 2 looks beyond stunning. 4k HDR movies are pure eye candy.

I couldn't be happier!
post #3736 of 7515 Old 09-20-2018, 03:57 AM

The recommended Rtings setting is Dark HDR or Dark DV with overall brightness of Brighter. I like it quite a lot.

I agree that Sports viewing is the weak spot of this TV. The sports stadiums and arenas are usually very well lit and playing field is quite uniform in color which makes the image have quite a drab quality. The motion handling of this TV is also rather sub par, which shows up again when watching a fast moving ball or puck. In my opinion, a plasma is still the best display to watch sports on, because it handles this kind of content the best due to having high inherent contrast, and excellent motion.

Last edited by rajendra82; 09-20-2018 at 04:09 AM.
post #3737 of 7515 Old 09-20-2018, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I want to buy this TV from Best Buy but I don't really understand the return policy. Several people have said to just keep returning till you get a decent panel but how far will they let me take it? I would kind of feel uncomfortable returning 4 or 5 TVs till I get one with an acceptable level of dse or banding but if they would let me I think I really would go till I was satisfied (to a point).

Also is the Best Buy warranty worth it? The 2 year is $70 and after messing with TCL's customer service on the P Series (They kept sending bad refurbished models that took a week or 2 each to arrive) I don't think that is too bad. They told me they would replace it with a brand new one if something happened but I have also read a bunch of bad reviews and a bunch of people have said it isn't worth it.
post #3738 of 7515 Old 09-20-2018, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alurry View Post
I want to buy this TV from Best Buy but I don't really understand the return policy. Several people have said to just keep returning till you get a decent panel but how far will they let me take it? I would kind of feel uncomfortable returning 4 or 5 TVs till I get one with an acceptable level of dse or banding but if they would let me I think I really would go till I was satisfied (to a point).

Also is the Best Buy warranty worth it? The 2 year is $70 and after messing with TCL's customer service on the P Series (They kept sending bad refurbished models that took a week or 2 each to arrive) I don't think that is too bad. They told me they would replace it with a brand new one if something happened but I have also read a bunch of bad reviews and a bunch of people have said it isn't worth it.
Why don't you just buy one and see? I was fearful after reading this forum and mine was fine. It is a great TV for the money.

Costco warranty is much cheaper.
post #3739 of 7515 Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Sullivan View Post
Why don't you just buy one and see? I was fearful after reading this forum and mine was fine. It is a great TV for the money.

Costco warranty is much cheaper.
I'm just wondering what I could if it wasn't fine. I might be happy with the first one as I was happy with my first P series last year but I just don't know how Best Buy would handle me wanting to return multiple TVs if I wasn't satisfied.
post #3740 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I'm just wondering what I could if it wasn't fine. I might be happy with the first one as I was happy with my first P series last year but I just don't know how Best Buy would handle me wanting to return multiple TVs if I wasn't satisfied.

Maybe go into it that if you don't like the TV you can just get a full refund, rather a return? I think they do that, too, right? Either way, I'm assuming there's a very good chance the TV will blow you away, and you'll be questioning yourself why you waited to purchase it.
post #3741 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLowEK View Post
Maybe go into it that if you don't like the TV you can just get a full refund, rather a return? I think they do that, too, right? Either way, I'm assuming there's a very good chance the TV will blow you away, and you'll be questioning yourself why you waited to purchase it.
I hear what you're saying but I already know I will like this model as I loved my P series last year. But in the unlucky case that I get a few bad panels with banding or dse I want to know what their policy is and how willing they would be to keep letting me exchange TVs till I get one I am satisfied with. I'm not saying that it is even likely I would have to deal with it but I just don't want to be stuck with a bad panel because they wouldn't let me return it.
post #3742 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
I hear what you're saying but I already know I will like this model as I loved my P series last year. But in the unlucky case that I get a few bad panels with banding or dse I want to know what their policy is and how willing they would be to keep letting me exchange TVs till I get one I am satisfied with. I'm not saying that it is even likely I would have to deal with it but I just don't want to be stuck with a bad panel because they wouldn't let me return it.
they will let you return it, however, if your as worried about it as you sound, don't buy the tv.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #3743 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've been using bias lighting since 2001 when I got my first HDTV. Whether SDR or HDR content, a bias light will help reduce the eye strain.

My 65" 6 series is supposed to be delivered Saturday. Hopefully I have no issues with my set. But my main concern is getting it mounted on the stand I have. Both my 20 15 Sony UHD TV currently on the stand and the TCL are within a few pounds of each other. And for me, 65" is borderline to be handling it by itself.

The stand has a mount on it, like a wall mount. But it's just part of the stand that also gives me three levels to put components on it,

I need to remove my existing Sony UHDTV, put the feet on it and move it to my living room. Then I need to put the bracket on the TCL and mount it on the stand.

This is the TransDeco stand I got from Amazon, back in 2015. It allows a 12 degree tilt up and down. And a 15 degree pivot left and right. Which makes it very easy to adjust it properly for almost any seating position.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have that identical stand in my living room and it holds my 70" LG set just fine.
post #3744 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I think if you're going to buy it and then immediately run test screens, you'll find some problems. However, will those problems be an issue for daily viewing, that's the main question. Just remember, although this TV is amazing for the price, well, it's still a budget tv. Go into it with the right expectation, and atleast use the tv for a while before looking for problems, because when you look, you'll find them, likely with any set.

Fun story, I've been using my 1080p panasonic led lcd tv for years, but when I looked at test screens recently I was blown away at the imperfections, but I had never noticed them before in normal viewing.
aaronwt and Matt2026 like this.
post #3745 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Opinions please

55R615 50% gray screen with rtings settings. Yes, I do notice the bands in regular content but is it bad enough to warrant replacement by TCL?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6676.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	2458278  
post #3746 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM
UHD Addict

What manufacturing dates are people getting now? Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and I hope I get one manufactured recently.
Is the date on the box? Or only on the TV?

post #3747 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
anybody else tv turning off randomly while gaming?
post #3748 of 7515 Old 09-21-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
55R615 50% gray screen with rtings settings. Yes, I do notice the bands in regular content but is it bad enough to warrant replacement by TCL?
That looks "normal" for this TV.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #3749 of 7515 Old 09-22-2018, 04:25 PM
UHD Addict

I got my 6 series setup today. The only major thing I ran into was with my Darbee Darblet. The TV did not like the Darblet in the chain and would not show a picture. I had it inline with my TiVo. So I had to remove the Darblet. Since whether it went through my receiver or was connected directly to one of the inputs it would not display video.

I do see some DSE, but then I can see that on every UHD set I've looked at. Most of the time it isn't noticeable which is good.

Otherwise the TV seems very nice. For the price it was great deal.

I used the rting settings for now. And my only issue with the setting was with SDR content. I had to lower the backlight down to zero and lower the brightness a little to get it to look right. Since the TV Brightness setting is on Brighter. And stays the same no matter what you are watching. And I don;t want to have to mess with it everytime I see SDR content.
Once thing I do miss is an info display that shows you the resolution/framerate of what is being displayed on the TV. Or is there a way to view this that I'm missing?

I'll need to get my calibration stuff setup. I haven't used it in awhile. I'll need to update the Calman software though.(Or is it the other other software?)

post #3750 of 7515 Old 09-22-2018, 04:39 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I had the chance to have my 55" R615 beside my 65" R615 and three things stood out to me. Now these three things could be to the size difference alone or just down to panel variance but they were noticeable so i thought i'd share. So both had the same settings internally as well as on the Roku app. Since the TV's were side by side i used one remote to control them which made syncing the shows way easier. I only used the internal Netflix app for comparison. Both were not calibrated.

So the 65" R615 was noticeably brighter, had better shadow detail but had worse color gradient banding (maybe this was due to being brighter and showed it more?). They both were similar with the following; minimal DSE and banding, skin tones/color, corner vignetting and motion. Would love to hear from anybody else if they were able to compare two R615's side by side to see if they had noticeably different PQ.

Love my TCL's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page