TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3964Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4741 of 7992 Old 01-14-2019, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Makaveli6103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnkm2 View Post
Bought the 65" from BestBuy Saturday. Even more frustrating is that I can't get my Marantz NR1603 and 6 series to play nice. Right now I have the sound just coming out of my TV speakers. I couldn't get ARC to work - or even an optical cable... I was going to hold off on upgrading the NR1603 to most likely the Denon x3400h, but I want to figure out why the sound isn't working. I was able to use the Roku remote to control the volume of the receiver - the NR1603 display was showing that I was able to turn the volume up and down, but zero sound was coming out of the speakers. I ran an update to the receiver - still nothing. I might reset it back to factory defaults tonight and try again. Any tricks or steps that I may have missed getting the two to communicate?



Thanks!


Change the audio out from Auto to the DD, DTS setting.
Makaveli6103 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4742 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 06:15 AM
Member
 
Aero_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Netflix 4k Streaming Question

OK, so I just got my new TCL R615 65" TV. Love the picture quality of this beast!
My question is, what is the best way to stream 4K movies from Netflix. Is there any differences between

watching it from the Netflix app inside Xfinity (which I'll assume the stream is coming directly from cable over Xfinity),
vers using Netflix app in the TCL / Roku smartapp? Again, I'll assume that feed would end-up hitting my TV via my
Hard-Wired LAN connection, correct? I'm just wanting to get the best, smoothest downloading / streaming 4K experience.


Also if I use the Roku OS / Netflix feed, I would need to add an Optical cable for the audio from my receiver to my TV if I want
the sound to play through my surround sounds system, instead of just the TV speakers correct?


Thanks,
Dave...
Aero_Dave is offline  
post #4743 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
OK, so I just got my new TCL R615 65" TV. Love the picture quality of this beast!
My question is, what is the best way to stream 4K movies from Netflix. Is there any differences between

watching it from the Netflix app inside Xfinity (which I'll assume the stream is coming directly from cable over Xfinity),
vers using Netflix app in the TCL / Roku smartapp? Again, I'll assume that feed would end-up hitting my TV via my
Hard-Wired LAN connection, correct? I'm just wanting to get the best, smoothest downloading / streaming 4K experience.


Also if I use the Roku OS / Netflix feed, I would need to add an Optical cable for the audio from my receiver to my TV if I want
the sound to play through my surround sounds system, instead of just the TV speakers correct?


Thanks,
Dave...

I don't know the answer to your first question, but I know that if you choose the TV app you want to turn on the ARC so that the HD audio will be fed back to the TV over HDMI because I believe with optical you're pretty limited as to what types of audio tracks it will pass.
tatumjon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4744 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Member
 
Aero_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumjon View Post
I don't know the answer to your first question, but I know that if you choose the TV app you want to turn on the ARC so that the HD audio will be fed back to the TV over HDMI because I believe with optical you're pretty limited as to what types of audio tracks it will pass.

I'm confused a little (maybe a lot?). I haven't upgraded any of my AV gear in a while. Just trying to make-do with what I have and hopefully I'll be
happy enough that I don't have to replace any equipment. Here is what I'm using.


Receiver - Yamaha RX-V375
Cambridge Soundworks MC-300 5.1 Surround Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks Powered Sub
TV - TCL R615 65"
Single HDMI from the receiver to the TV (going into HDMI 3 ARC)
Xfinity cable box / provider, HDMI to receiver
Sony DVD player, HDMI to receiver
Hard-wired LAN connection from Router to TV
Harmony smart remote controlling everything



When I use Netflix from inside Xfinity, the sound goes through my receiver, thus my surround sound speakers.
If I use Netflix from inside the TCL / Roku OS, sound only comes through the TV speakers. SO I was thinking if I run an Optical
cable from the TV back to the receiver, I should then get audio through my surround sound system, correct?


BTW, any cable runs from the TV to the receiver will be 50'. My TV is mounted over the fireplace and all cabling
runs behind the wall, down the floor into the basement and then over & backup into the AV rack.


Thanks,
Dave...

Last edited by Aero_Dave; 01-15-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Aero_Dave is offline  
post #4745 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 AM
Senior Member
 
aHelpingHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by altabrig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
I don't recall where I read it (or thought I read it) and I couldn't find it searching these forums so I may be very wrong...but I recall reading somewhere that the 55" was an 8 bit panel and the 65" was 10 bit.

Does anyone here know for certain?
I believe I read that about the panel difference on this thread and possibly on RTNGS? I did not verify. Anyone else know if the 65" is true 10 bit?
You may be very wrong but it happens.
These 6 Series TVs aren't 10bit although what Rtings said was that the difference was negligible.

They are 8bit panels with FRC (framerate control)

TCL 65r615
Yamaha TSR 7810
Pioneer Sub SW8MKII...
RBH Impression Series 7.0
aHelpingHand is offline  
post #4746 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post
Change the audio out from Auto to the DD, DTS setting.
Thanks for all of the help guys! I was able to change the settings in the AVR and the TCL - we have sound!

Still trying to find good content to test the TV...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8901.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	789.0 KB
ID:	2511046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8902.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	811.0 KB
ID:	2511048  

TCL 65R - Marantz NR1603 - Focal 700 CC, Focal 706v, Paradigm Cinema 70, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12

Last edited by dunnkm2; 01-15-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Added photos...
dunnkm2 is offline  
post #4747 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
I'm confused a little (maybe a lot?). I haven't upgraded any of my AV gear in a while. Just trying to make-do with what I have and hopefully I'll be
happy enough that I don't have to replace any equipment. Here is what I'm using.


Receiver - Yamaha RX-V375
Cambridge Soundworks MC-300 5.1 Surround Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks Powered Sub
TV - TCL R615 65"
Single HDMI from the receiver to the TV (going into HDMI 3 ARC)
Xfinity cable box / provider, HDMI to receiver
Sony DVD player, HDMI to receiver
Hard-wired LAN connection from Router to TV
Harmony smart remote controlling everything



When I use Netflix from inside Xfinity, the sound goes through my receiver, thus my surround sound speakers.
If I use Netflix from inside the TCL / Roku OS, sound only comes through the TV speakers. SO I was thinking if I run an Optical
cable from the TV back to the receiver, I should then get audio through my surround sound system, correct?


BTW, any cable runs from the TV to the receiver will be 50'. My TV is mounted over the fireplace and all cabling
runs behind the wall, down the floor into the basement and then over & backup into the AV rack.


Thanks,
Dave...

Optical cannot pass hi resolution audio, which means Atmos, DTS:X, TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. You can do it the way you're describing, but it's not the best way to do it. I use my living room tv to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. I just set my receiver to ARC and when I select one of those apps from the TV, the sound is passed back through the HDMI cable that connects the receiver to the TV (even though it's not being used to pass anything TO the TV in this application) and the hi resolution audio is passed back to the receiver provided that all your gear is so capable.
Ben23 likes this.
tatumjon is offline  
post #4748 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
gtmorgan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Went and picked up an on sale 65 inch 6 series last night from big blue.

I put it through the ringer on test patterns and vertical banding test clips.

I am happy to say it will be a keeper. I did notice some vignetting in the corners but its less than my parents 65 6 series I got for them.

My wife was able to locate a slight hint of banding but it wasnt enough for me to clearly see compared to some of the photos online that folks have posted.

They had an open box X900f for about 550 more but i would rather use that money towards my speaker fund for the media room.

I already have a 55" P series from last year and for now its sitting right behind the 65 until we move.

For the money I am very happy. Its funny to think in 2007 a plain 52" LCD would have cost me about 3 grand.
aaronwt, Matt2026 and Ben23 like this.

Media Room= GoldenEar Supersat 60s/GE 60c/BP7004s/SuperCubeII/A-60s/Pio-SC-95
gtmorgan23 is offline  
post #4749 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Member
 
iksnoved25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
Yep. Bought mine Tuesday at the regular price and called today and they refunded me the price difference! A great TV at an even now better price!

I still wish I could figure out why I’m having Wi-Fi issues since I bought this TV though. I’ve done all the troubleshooting and it still comes back to this TV. Otherwise, this has been a great purchase


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had wifi issues with my 5 series. it wouldn't re-connect when I would power on the TV. I would have to manually configure it each time.
iksnoved25 is offline  
post #4750 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
You may be very wrong but it happens.
These 6 Series TVs aren't 10bit although what Rtings said was that the difference was negligible.

They are 8bit panels with FRC (framerate control)

I read somewhere RTNGS or Digital Trends that the 55 was the 8 with FRC and the 65" was true 10 bit.

Can't find anything demonstrable on the TCL specs or any review sights. Lots of commentary on the Vizio thread about the TCL evidencing traits for 8bit FRC.

Would be nice to know from the actual hardware spec sheet.
altabrig is offline  
post #4751 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
aHelpingHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by altabrig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
You may be very wrong but it happens.
These 6 Series TVs aren't 10bit although what Rtings said was that the difference was negligible.

They are 8bit panels with FRC (framerate control)

I read somewhere RTNGS or Digital Trends that the 55 was the 8 with FRC and the 65" was true 10 bit.

Can't find anything demonstrable on the TCL specs or any review sights. Lots of commentary on the Vizio thread about the TCL evidencing traits for 8bit FRC.

Would be nice to know from the actual hardware spec sheet.
I could have sworn it did say it on TCL's own webpage for the 6 series...Here you go:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/fa451282

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/3a9f1281

55 and 65 = 8bit with FRC.
Could your eye tell the difference?
Probably not. But there it is.
oldsteve likes this.

TCL 65r615
Yamaha TSR 7810
Pioneer Sub SW8MKII...
RBH Impression Series 7.0
aHelpingHand is offline  
post #4752 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,663
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked: 6482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
OK, so I just got my new TCL R615 65" TV. Love the picture quality of this beast!
My question is, what is the best way to stream 4K movies from Netflix. Is there any differences between

watching it from the Netflix app inside Xfinity (which I'll assume the stream is coming directly from cable over Xfinity),
vers using Netflix app in the TCL / Roku smartapp? Again, I'll assume that feed would end-up hitting my TV via my
Hard-Wired LAN connection, correct? I'm just wanting to get the best, smoothest downloading / streaming 4K experience.


Also if I use the Roku OS / Netflix feed, I would need to add an Optical cable for the audio from my receiver to my TV if I want
the sound to play through my surround sounds system, instead of just the TV speakers correct?


Thanks,
Dave...
The TCl Netflix app has access to HDR10 and Dolby Vision titles. As well as the 5.1 DD+ audio.
Hopefully Netflix enables Atmos audio later this year from it's app on the TCL.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #4753 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 12:19 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,663
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked: 6482
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
I could have sworn it did say it on TCL's own webpage for the 6 series...Here you go:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/fa451282

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/3a9f1281

55 and 65 = 8bit with FRC.
Could your eye tell the difference?
Probably not. But there it is.
Yes. It's only a slight difference between my TCL and my Sony with a 10 bit panel. I can certainly see the difference with the proper test patterns. But with normal viewing content the difference is not very noticeable. Unlike how the Vizio P series and P quantum looked. Even though those Vizios are supposed to have a 10bit panel. Yet the 8bit with FRC TCL panel easily looked better.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-15-2019 at 05:00 PM.
aaronwt is online now  
post #4754 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
I could have sworn it did say it on TCL's own webpage for the 6 series...Here you go:

I HAD TO DELETE YOUR HELPFUL LINKS DUE TO MY POST COUNT
55 and 65 = 8bit with FRC.
Could your eye tell the difference?
Probably not. But there it is.

No my eye could not in all likelihood.. I can tell the PQ Vizio (color and brightness) from the top end Samsungs and Top End Sonys and the OLEDs from everything. LG Cs look brighter than the Bs. My eye was fine a few years back with a Phillips tube that was 480 all the time. So it is all relative and I am novice, but rapidly becoming too picky about my PQ.

Thanks for the specs. I had seen that but was still unsure when I was researching based on somebody somewhere writing the 65" was true 10. Those specs are for the 55" but I bet you are right. I thought I would be unhappy with the 60 hz motion handling. I had to return a 60hz I bought for my mom for a 120Hz years back due to the handling of Baseball and expected the same, but I am fine with the 60hz on this set.
altabrig is offline  
post #4755 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
^ SORRY I just read the second link. Display specs for the 65 on that link are also 8bit + FRC.

Thanks.
altabrig is offline  
post #4756 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Member
 
wavsine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
I could have sworn it did say it on TCL's own webpage for the 6 series...Here you go:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/fa451282

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/3a9f1281
I agree that both the 55" and 65" 6 series are 8 bit panels but that website specs the viewing angle at 178 degrees. That is incorrect and only a handful of IPS panels can meet that spec. The VA panel in the 6 series TCL has a very narrow viewing angle.

From rtings:
"The viewing angle is poor. Blacks and colors shift rapidly as you move away from the front, and the brightness drops quickly as the angle increases a few degrees.

As with most TCLs we have reviewed it is most suitable for a narrow viewing environment."
wavsine is offline  
post #4757 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
blade005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnkm2 View Post
Still trying to find good content to test the TV...
THE HDR CHANNEL on YouTube provides a good selection of HDR content to stream. There is a DOLBY ACCESS Roku app available that provides short clips of content to test DOLBY VISION streaming content with DOLBY ATMOS audio. Two good places to access free HDR and DV content for testing purposes. Enjoy your new set!
jtrippe, shopking68 and dunnkm2 like this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
blade005 is online now  
post #4758 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,663
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked: 6482
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
I agree that both the 55" and 65" 6 series are 8 bit panels but that website specs the viewing angle at 178 degrees. That is incorrect and only a handful of IPS panels can meet that spec. The VA panel in the 6 series TCL has a very narrow viewing angle.

From rtings:
"The viewing angle is poor. Blacks and colors shift rapidly as you move away from the front, and the brightness drops quickly as the angle increases a few degrees.

As with most TCLs we have reviewed it is most suitable for a narrow viewing environment."
I can easily view my VA panel TVs from that angle. But it wouldn't be fun watching that way since the picture greatly changes once past the viewing angle rtings talks about.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #4759 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Member
 
wavsine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I can easily view my VA panel TVs from that angle. But it wouldn't be fun watching that way since the picture greatly changes once past the viewing angle rtings talks about.
Easily viewing is not how they rate viewing angle. DisplaySpecification states "maximum horizontal viewing angle within which the image on the screen is of acceptable quality."

On the 6 series, it is nowhere near 178 degrees. Even my LG IPS panel HDTV can't spec that wide of an angle.
wavsine is offline  
post #4760 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Disappointing that the panel is 8 bit only.....Ughhhh but for the price it is expected I guess
NJPapi1977 is offline  
post #4761 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
aHelpingHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by altabrig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
I could have sworn it did say it on TCL's own webpage for the 6 series...Here you go:

I HAD TO DELETE YOUR HELPFUL LINKS DUE TO MY POST COUNT
55 and 65 = 8bit with FRC.
Could your eye tell the difference?
Probably not. But there it is.

No my eye could not in all likelihood.. I can tell the PQ Vizio (color and brightness) from the top end Samsungs and Top End Sonys and the OLEDs from everything. LG Cs look brighter than the Bs. My eye was fine a few years back with a Phillips tube that was 480 all the time. So it is all relative and I am novice, but rapidly becoming too picky about my PQ.

Thanks for the specs. I had seen that but was still unsure when I was researching based on somebody somewhere writing the 65" was true 10. Those specs are for the 55" but I bet you are right. I thought I would be unhappy with the 60 hz motion handling. I had to return a 60hz I bought for my mom for a 120Hz years back due to the handling of Baseball and expected the same, but I am fine with the 60hz on this set.
It's all good. I doubt this TV at a size of 65inches could dip to MAP of $799 unless it was a 60hz panel and some form of FRC with an 8bit panel... At my Magnolia I was allowed to put side by side a 65 Sony 900f/TCL 65 r615 and a Samsung Q8FN.

Differences were apparent but not representative of the price differential between the name brand TVs and the 615.

Sony to me has the best motion and processing in the biz (arguably) Samsung and their Q8 and 9 are sweet for gaming.

The TCL falls somewhere in the middle despite being a 60hz panel. If you had a PC or XB1X: TCL wouldn't be the best choice.
That said I have PS4Pro and XB1X and I'm in awe a very happy consumer.

As an aside I'm not sure what settings you've been using but when I turn on Natural Cinema mode I've not noticed any blurring with every kind of sports/action.

I'd like to say the broadcast plays a pivotal role in how motion is handled/percieved. With DirecTV Now I'm getting primo streams.
gtmorgan23 likes this.

TCL 65r615
Yamaha TSR 7810
Pioneer Sub SW8MKII...
RBH Impression Series 7.0
aHelpingHand is offline  
post #4762 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
aHelpingHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I can easily view my VA panel TVs from that angle. But it wouldn't be fun watching that way since the picture greatly changes once past the viewing angle rtings talks about.
Easily viewing is not how they rate viewing angle. DisplaySpecification states "maximum horizontal viewing angle within which the image on the screen is of acceptable quality."

On the 6 series, it is nowhere near 178 degrees. Even my LG IPS panel HDTV can't spec that wide of an angle.
Definitely...we'd be lucky if it could do 120 degrees.

TCL 65r615
Yamaha TSR 7810
Pioneer Sub SW8MKII...
RBH Impression Series 7.0
aHelpingHand is offline  
post #4763 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
oldsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Citrus Hts., CA
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
I could have sworn it did say it on TCL's own webpage for the 6 series...Here you go:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/fa451282

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/3a9f1281

55 and 65 = 8bit with FRC.
Could your eye tell the difference?
Probably not. But there it is.
Thanks for the link to a great website. I was wondering what panel the new75R617 was going to use but they already had it listed on their site as being the same as the 55" and 65" models. (8bits+FRC)=10bits. I guess I'll have to take a road trip to BB to see how it looks in person.



Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
oldsteve is offline  
post #4764 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Newbie
 
tduval75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up this TV recently. My previous TV was a 55" Walmart Black Friday special 5 years ago so needless to say to my eyes this thing is fantastic. : ) In the process of getting this thing mounted to the wall. Upgraded Netflix to UHD that worked good, tested the wireless and wired network speeds and that was good. I do stream movies from my plex server and that has worked out great as well. I had an Amazon Fire TV on my previous set but this built-in Roku seems a lot smoother. It'll be hooked up to surround sound so can't really speak to much on the sets audio. Right off the bat I noticed a lot of "soap opera" effect on some HD movies but was able to turn it off. I'm also using an OTA HD antenna for local channels and that also worked out good.

The only quirk I'm running into is the tv mount. I'm not sure if I need to use spacers for the wall mount brackets that go onto the TV. The holes are recessed a bit but I have two mounts and neither have spacers that actually fit into the recessed part of the hole. Hard to explain but for now I'musing the screw length recommended by TCL and just skipping the spacers.
tduval75 is offline  
post #4765 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Member
 
wavsine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
Thanks for the link to a great website.
Sorry, but I'm not so sure their information is accurate. They keep listing 178 degree viewing angle for the 55", 65" and 75" which is blatantly wrong. They may have just copied the specs from the 55" and 65" for the 75" model. Until rtings posts a review, we will not know for sure if the 75" is 10 bit or 8 bit+FRC.

At the MSRP TCL set for the 75", it darn well better be a true 10 bit panel.
wavsine is offline  
post #4766 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 08:48 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,663
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked: 6482
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
Definitely...we'd be lucky if it could do 120 degrees.
I'm looking at around 160 degrees right now and it is surprisingly watchable. Although I am only watching Hd, SDR content right now.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #4767 of 7992 Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tduval75 View Post
I just picked up this TV recently. My previous TV was a 55" Walmart Black Friday special 5 years ago so needless to say to my eyes this thing is fantastic. : ) In the process of getting this thing mounted to the wall. Upgraded Netflix to UHD that worked good, tested the wireless and wired network speeds and that was good. I do stream movies from my plex server and that has worked out great as well. I had an Amazon Fire TV on my previous set but this built-in Roku seems a lot smoother. It'll be hooked up to surround sound so can't really speak to much on the sets audio. Right off the bat I noticed a lot of "soap opera" effect on some HD movies but was able to turn it off. I'm also using an OTA HD antenna for local channels and that also worked out good.

The only quirk I'm running into is the tv mount. I'm not sure if I need to use spacers for the wall mount brackets that go onto the TV. The holes are recessed a bit but I have two mounts and neither have spacers that actually fit into the recessed part of the hole. Hard to explain but for now I'musing the screw length recommended by TCL and just skipping the spacers.
Yes it can interpolate low frame rate content and I believe is on by default. One of the first things I did was turn it off.

As far as the holes I didn’t use any spacers either and mines been hung for 4-6 months now. Using a single stud 2 bolt mount. Only thing I don’t like about it is it wobbles a bit when I have to unplug or plug something in lol. I’m guessing additional hardware will be based on the mount being used. Mine is a cheap mount from amazon that was like $30. I’ve had it for several years directly screwed into a stud.
acphydro is offline  
post #4768 of 7992 Old 01-16-2019, 05:17 AM
Member
 
Aero_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumjon View Post
Optical cannot pass hi resolution audio, which means Atmos, DTS:X, TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. You can do it the way you're describing, but it's not the best way to do it. I use my living room tv to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. I just set my receiver to ARC and when I select one of those apps from the TV, the sound is passed back through the HDMI cable that connects the receiver to the TV (even though it's not being used to pass anything TO the TV in this application) and the hi resolution audio is passed back to the receiver provided that all your gear is so capable.

Well, well, I guess it helps to RTFM. Its been a few years since looking at it, but I found that, My receiver Has ARC capability. I just needed to turn on 2 settings and WHOO-RAY!
I got it working now. I can't believe the receivers volume is now controlled by the TCL / Roku remote while inside the Netflix app. I was about to purchase a new receiver if I couldn't
get my current equipment to play nicely. Now I don't need anything new, or no new cabling either!
Man I love this TV, after tweaking it.


Dave...
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by Aero_Dave; 01-16-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Aero_Dave is offline  
post #4769 of 7992 Old 01-16-2019, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
gtmorgan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHelpingHand View Post
It's all good. I doubt this TV at a size of 65inches could dip to MAP of $799 unless it was a 60hz panel and some form of FRC with an 8bit panel... At my Magnolia I was allowed to put side by side a 65 Sony 900f/TCL 65 r615 and a Samsung Q8FN.

Differences were apparent but not representative of the price differential between the name brand TVs and the 615.

Sony to me has the best motion and processing in the biz (arguably) Samsung and their Q8 and 9 are sweet for gaming.

The TCL falls somewhere in the middle despite being a 60hz panel. If you had a PC or XB1X: TCL wouldn't be the best choice.
That said I have PS4Pro and XB1X and I'm in awe a very happy consumer.

As an aside I'm not sure what settings you've been using but when I turn on Natural Cinema mode I've not noticed any blurring with every kind of sports/action.

I'd like to say the broadcast plays a pivotal role in how motion is handled/percieved. With DirecTV Now I'm getting primo streams.
I agree with your thought "Differences were apparent but not representative of the price differential between the name brand TVs and the 615."

My struggle was deciding between the X900F and the 615. I came to the same conclusion as you.

Media Room= GoldenEar Supersat 60s/GE 60c/BP7004s/SuperCubeII/A-60s/Pio-SC-95
gtmorgan23 is offline  
post #4770 of 7992 Old 01-16-2019, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 111
As a gamer the TCL is better than the Sony tv as the input lag is higher on the Sony set

Also to me the colors pop more on the TCL over the Sony....The HDR on the TCL is incredibly for gaming
aaronwt and shopking68 like this.
NJPapi1977 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off