TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3502Likes

post #4981 of 6833 Old 01-31-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Tangential TCL TV general question: Anyone got a guess to when the ROKU OS 9 will get pushed to our TVs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 6833 Old 01-31-2019, 12:58 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8978 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Originally Posted by altabrig View Post
Tangential TCL TV general question: Anyone got a guess to when the ROKU OS 9 will get pushed to our TVs?
TCL said first quarter. So it should be within the next two months.

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4983 of 6833 Old 01-31-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
I thought I read online that some movies were being misreported. That it says 4k but was actually HD and vice versa..maybe I misread that.
I haven't heard that specifically as it relates to Itunes. Perhaps what you are referring to is whether the original mastering is 4K, which is dependent on the studio not the streaming service. Check this link out and keep in mind that in the end it doesn't necessarily give a movie better or worse picture quality.

https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4984 of 6833 Old 01-31-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post
Don't know if you have one around you but BJ's Wholesale Club carries the 6 series. It is where I purchased mine, I got it a week before Black Friday for the same price Best Buy was selling it for on Black Friday. (Plus it has the better Voice Remote than the remote that you get when you buy from Best Buy.)

I am VERY happy with my purchase. Its a great TV!
Thanks for the suggestion...will look there. I wonder what BJ's warranty policy is...just in case I lose the panel lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Moral of the story, it was a bad investment placing our trust in Sony.
I would have to agree...and add Samsung to that statement also. Their QC seems to have really gone down in the last several years. Wasn't always the case. My mom still has a Samsung LCD TV she got years ago that still looks great (it's 1080p, not 4K, but still does the job for what she needs). I still have a 1080p 23" Samsung monitor I got about 8 years ago and it still is running strong. But last year, got 2 straight Samsung's with problems...not to mention the NU8000...which rtings loves, but has the worst local dimming I think I've ever seen.

The "name brands" don't seem to have that reliability they used to. For the money, it makes sense to give TCL a go.
PlanetAVS likes this.

Last edited by DVD Freaky; 01-31-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #4985 of 6833 Old 01-31-2019, 05:42 PM
UHD Addict

I would still get an extended warranty. I got a five year extended warranty for my 6 series from Best Buy. But I also got a 5 year extended warranty for my 2015 Sony UHD TV.

The cost was certainly much more palatable for my 6 Series TCL. The TV and extended warranty cost half as much as the Sony and extended warranty

post #4986 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I still have friends who have the older Bravia models, said tvs are still going strong. There were no 65" at the time mainly 50".
Back in 2008-2010 (or thereabouts) it was unheard of to get an extended warranty on a tv. Extended warranty on a tv???
Now we have 4k, Fald, and all these new dimming technologies. I wonder what their longevity is? I mean FALD has only existed since 2015-2016 (i think)?.
I also wonder if tv manufacturers are using lesser components because they are aware that customers can obtain extended warranties?
Additionally, TV repair is a grey area for me. I contacted a few repair shops, and they said that they can eventually change the T con boards, but these black lines seem to be inherent of a bad panel. I have never spoken to someone, who said "sure, we know the issue well, bring it in, we can repair it"!
I also called Sony and they do not have any repair alternatives (obviously duh!).
Come to think about it, I do not have extended warranties on any of my appliances at home...an extended warranty on the dishwasher? Fridge? dryer? Ridiculous proposal? Or is it?

Do you guys use UPC batteries on your tv? Or power conditioners? In 2013 when i bought the Sony I also bought a really expensive power conditioner and also hooked the tv up to a UPC, to ensure the tv was protected from any possible power surge.
It does make me feel good that in the future, on a new tv, all of this, will be replaced by an extended warranty.
post #4987 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I mean FALD has only existed since 2015-2016 (i think)?.
I had a 47" FALD made by LG way back in 2010. It cost more than $1000. Model 47LE8500.

It's really weird that LG is at the forefront of these new technologies like FALD and OLED. People old enough to remember will recall that LG stood for "Lucky Goldstar" and they had a less than stellar reputation for electronics back then. They dropped the name and now just say "Life's Good"

FYI, LG brought back FALD in 2018 to their high end LCD sets.

Last edited by wavsine; 02-01-2019 at 07:22 AM.
post #4988 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I need some help. No matter what I do I can't get the TV level. I know my stand is level. The entire tv tilts backwards as it goes up. I'd say the top is bent back 3 inches compared to the bottom. I presume it has something to do with the base feet? Could they be defective? If I sit the back feet on coasters it helps greatly, but I shouldn't have to do that. Any ideas to try? Anyone else have this problem?
post #4989 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballmaster View Post
I need some help. No matter what I do I can't get the TV level. I know my stand is level. The entire tv tilts backwards as it goes up. I'd say the top is bent back 3 inches compared to the bottom. I presume it has something to do with the base feet? Could they be defective? If I sit the back feet on coasters it helps greatly, but I shouldn't have to do that. Any ideas to try? Anyone else have this problem?
The metal feet on the 6 series are cast and therefore should not bend without breaking so I don't think the feet would be defective. Have you verified that the feet are flush against the bottom of the TV when you tightened the screws? I have my feet inverted inward but my TV still sits straight.
post #4990 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
The metal feet on the 6 series are cast and therefore should not bend without breaking so I don't think the feet would be defective. Have you verified that the feet are flush against the bottom of the TV when you tightened the screws? I have my feet inverted inward but my TV still sits straight.
They are flush. I've tried to put them on regular and inverted. Both ways the tv slants backwards. Maybe I'm not tightening the screens enough? Do they have to be super tight?
post #4991 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 07:39 AM

I mean to say "screws"
post #4992 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
First step should be to ensure the feet themselves are level by taking them off the TV, turning them upside down on a known level surface, and laying a spirit level across them. If both sets of feet pass the test, the problem must be with the TV itself where the legs attach, and all you can do is return it for a replacement unit.
smitty likes this.
post #4993 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 41
well tcl sent a tech out to install new parts into my tv to fix the turning off issue while gaming...when the guy got here he told me straight up the parts wasn't gone fix my issue and he's been installing the parts in many of the tcl tvs and they had to end up getting another tv sent to them. well the problem still exist and i emailed tcl yesterday letting them know. i got an email today saying i will be refunded and they will be picking the tv up. So now i have to decide what to get next lol.
aaronwt likes this.
post #4994 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboi89 View Post
well tcl sent a tech out to install new parts into my tv to fix the turning off issue while gaming...when the guy got here he told me straight up the parts wasn't gone fix my issue and he's been installing the parts in many of the tcl tvs and they had to end up getting another tv sent to them. well the problem still exist and i emailed tcl yesterday letting them know. i got an email today saying i will be refunded and they will be picking the tv up. So now i have to decide what to get next lol.

Sucks that you had to go through that. Are you considering just getting a replacement? I would, it’s just such a great value performer. Or are you looking to go up or down budget wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaronwt and Bamaboi89 like this.
post #4995 of 6833 Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballmaster View Post
If you’re absolutely sure your stand is level I’d have the TV replaced if it bothers you to work around it or just mount it. Mine is mounted so for all I know I could have the issue too. It’s really simple screwing the stands in and unlikely you’ve done it wrong.
post #4996 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought the 55R613 at BJ's Monday. I'll be adding the extended warranty for 5 years having just lost a LG UH5530 to a Power supply. I'm in the middle of a CC warranty claim. We'll see ..
The TCL is a much nicer set but the remote is WIFI which means AFAIK that only that remote will work with this set.

I have an unused At&T ZTE cell phone which I've downloaded the TCL and Firestick remote apps to.
It's OK and it IS lighted which is huge but in order for it to really function like a grab it and use it now remote I've configured it to have no password and not dim out right away. 30 minutes is the max.

Just like my LG, the on board Amazon app's navigation is very clunky when compared to the fire stick, especially with that TCL remote. Major fail really when trying to FF or rewind a video. My LG was a bit better once I found a larger and better LG made remote from one of their other TVs. But it wore out quickly.

So I'd like to retain the capability to use the Fire stick's better control when I want but ... it only interfaces with other devices that are IR based for functions like volume, mute and on/off for the TV. Anything else for that TV is going to have to be done with it's own WIFI remote which is currently $80.

I've read so many confusing posts on multiple forums about whether the R615 which is IR based for remote control can also be operated by the WIFI remote and thus do the voice control as well? I'm not sure I beleive that. I'm also not sure I want to return this to BJ's and pick an R615 up at BB as the BJ's warranty is better on the face of it and half the price for 5 years.

So I had a thought.

What about a sound bar the operates via IR and also has a powered AC outlet to be able to turn the TV on & of when the sound bar is? Does such an animal even exist?
post #4997 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by staatsof View Post
I bought the 55R613 at BJ's Monday. I'll be adding the extended warranty for 5 years having just lost a LG UH5530 to a Power supply. I'm in the middle of a CC warranty claim. We'll see ..
The TCL is a much nicer set but the remote is WIFI which means AFAIK that only that remote will work with this set.

I have an unused At&T ZTE cell phone which I've downloaded the TCL and Firestick remote apps to.
It's OK and it IS lighted which is huge but in order for it to really function like a grab it and use it now remote I've configured it to have no password and not dim out right away. 30 minutes is the max.

Just like my LG, the on board Amazon app's navigation is very clunky when compared to the fire stick, especially with that TCL remote. Major fail really when trying to FF or rewind a video. My LG was a bit better once I found a larger and better LG made remote from one of their other TVs. But it wore out quickly.

So I'd like to retain the capability to use the Fire stick's better control when I want but ... it only interfaces with other devices that are IR based for functions like volume, mute and on/off for the TV. Anything else for that TV is going to have to be done with it's own WIFI remote which is currently $80.

I've read so many confusing posts on multiple forums about whether the R615 which is IR based for remote control can also be operated by the WIFI remote and thus do the voice control as well? I'm not sure I beleive that. I'm also not sure I want to return this to BJ's and pick an R615 up at BB as the BJ's warranty is better on the face of it and half the price for 5 years.

So I had a thought.

What about a sound bar the operates via IR and also has a powered AC outlet to be able to turn the TV on & of when the sound bar is? Does such an animal even exist?
All variants of the 6 series have an IR (infrared) sensor, however I'm not completely sure if they also all have a (RF) radio frequency sensor.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #4998 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 05:23 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
All variants of the 6 series have an IR (infrared) sensor, however I'm not completely sure if they also all have a (RF) radio frequency sensor.
Yes they are all supposed to be identical. And have both RF and IR whether they come with a IR or RF remote.

I know my Best Buy version that came with an IR remote works with the $20 Roku RF remote I purchased from Roku.com.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk
venus933 likes this.

post #4999 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 PM

Well if that's true and I'm not convinced it is then you'd think that the search function on the Amazon Fire Stick for an IR code would work. It does not.

There's precious little technical documentation on TCL's website about any of this.

So if I've missed something someone please point out the hard link that solves this.
post #5000 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Yes, they all have the same guts. BB has the cheaper remote.
post #5001 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Ok, got a new receiver and need a little help. Got tired of some of the issues I was having with my old Onkyo that actually died a few days after I got my new AVR. Got Atmos enabled AVR and am using 13 speakers plus sub. UHD disks play Atmos fine as does the Amazon app, Jack Ryan is the only title I'm aware on Amazon at this point. However, none of the titles that are supposed to support Atmos on Netflix trigger the Atmos section of my AVR, and the same is true of PLEX Emby or the Roku media player app. Has anyone had success getting Atmos from any of these?

I've downloaded a few trailers that are supposed to demo Atmos but while they all play, none trigger Atmos on the receiver.
post #5002 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
Well if that's true and I'm not convinced it is then you'd think that the search function on the Amazon Fire Stick for an IR code would work. It does not.

There's precious little technical documentation on TCL's website about any of this.

So if I've missed something someone please point out the hard link that solves this.
I guess I'm not understanding you, doesn't the remote for the Fire Stick use a RF signal?

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)

Last edited by venus933; 02-02-2019 at 09:31 PM.
post #5003 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:

You don't need a link. The R615 and R617 have identical internal electronics. Both models have both IR and RF capability.

The only difference is the R615 ships with an IR remote. The R617 ships with an RF remote.

Both the R615 and R617 can be controlled by either an IR or RF signal.
post #5004 of 6833 Old 02-02-2019, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 55
My friend has the worst luck got this from the 55 inch Friday night and exchanged it for the 65 tonight and the same thing happened. I was so looking forward to seeing this tv in action tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360DAFBB-D9FA-428B-BBCD-29C43D03281E.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2519836  

TCL 65R615
LG UP970
Sony STRDH7905.2.2 Setup
Xbox One X and PS4 Pro
Samsung UN65HU8550 with SEK-3500 Onkyo TX-NR646
post #5005 of 6833 Old 02-03-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Ok, got a new receiver and need a little help. Got tired of some of the issues I was having with my old Onkyo that actually died a few days after I got my new AVR. Got Atmos enabled AVR and am using 13 speakers plus sub. UHD disks play Atmos fine as does the Amazon app, Jack Ryan is the only title I'm aware on Amazon at this point. However, none of the titles that are supposed to support Atmos on Netflix trigger the Atmos section of my AVR, and the same is true of PLEX Emby or the Roku media player app. Has anyone had success getting Atmos from any of these?

I've downloaded a few trailers that are supposed to demo Atmos but while they all play, none trigger Atmos on the receiver.
The Netflix app on the TCL doesn't support ATMOS. Where are you trying to play your ATMOS demo files? On the USB port of the TCL? Try the USB port on your UHD player.
post #5006 of 6833 Old 02-03-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes they are all supposed to be identical. And have both RF and IR whether they come with a IR or RF remote.

I know my Best Buy version that came with an IR remote works with the $20 Roku RF remote I purchased from Roku.com.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I guess I'm not understanding you, doesn't the remote for the Fire Stick use a RF signal?
Yes it does use WIFI but that's for controlling itself. If you want it to control your TV's volume & mute plus on off it uses IR and it cannot seem to recognize the TCL 55R613 hence my questioning whether this TCL has IR capability. The TCL owner's manual mentions nothing about it at all. Their website either.

If anyone has gotten a 4K Fire Stick to work with the R617 or R613 I'd sure like to know which IR profile they used.

Thanks.
post #5007 of 6833 Old 02-03-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboi89 View Post
Can it be as simple as the the TV turns off after 4 hours automatically by design?
post #5008 of 6833 Old 02-03-2019, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Dammit
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 65" from BB, but want the good RF voice remote.
Amazon has 1000 roku remotes on there but they all seem like replicas?

Rokus site has the remotes but i can't see the buttons on there. Their pics are too small.

Some quick questions :
Does a roku voice remote have the ability
1. To increase, decrease volume on tv?
2. Turn Tv on off?
3. Mute/unmute?

When we say voice remote, that means it will only search for apps on the roku TV right? I mean not on comcast channels?

Lastly, is there a specific channel on Roku (apart from youtube) That has 4k stuff in HDR? I know a few of you have told me to watch Jack ryan (amazon prime), but is that the only one? Does Netflix have 4k HDR?
Is HDR always in 4k??
post #5009 of 6833 Old 02-03-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Some quick questions :

Does a roku voice remote have the ability

1. To increase, decrease volume on tv?

2. Turn Tv on off?

3. Mute/unmute?

When we say voice remote, that means it will only search for apps on the roku TV right? I mean not on comcast channels?

Lastly, is there a specific channel on Roku (apart from youtube) That has 4k stuff in HDR? I know a few of you have told me to watch Jack ryan (amazon prime), but is that the only one? Does Netflix have 4k HDR?

Is HDR always in 4k??
A voice remote from Roku can:
1. Change volume with buttons
2. Turn TV on/off
3. Does not have a button to mute/unmute, but can do it with voice commands instead

The search works for content within Roku apps. I don't think it will let you search Comcast channels.

There are many channels that have 4K and HDR content. The terms don't always go together as you can have content that is just 4K (Planet Earth II on Netflix), just HDR (gaming on non pro PS4), or both (most newer content on Netflix and Amazon Prime). Easiest way to tell if something is HDR is to press the * button in the remote with the content playing. If it's not HDR, your picture modes are Movie/Normal/Vivid, if HDR it's Dark/Normal/Bright HDR/DV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #5010 of 6833 Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 AM

FIXED!

Don't assume!

I thought the IR detector was near the ON/OFF button. I can't see where it is but with further experimentation I now know it's somewhere to the right of the logo.
I had my cable box centered in front of the logo and that was blocking it. Doh ...

I do wish the documentation on this was much better. Amazon Fire Stick now controlling on/off/volume/mute. Cable box remote works fine too.

Thank goodness because when navigating through Netflix & Amazon it's a far superior interface especially in the dark!

The headphones listening on remote app for a cell phone option is blocked from working when watching cable TV. There must be a good reason for this?

Quote:
Yes it does use WIFI but that's for controlling itself. If you want it to control your TV's volume & mute plus on off it uses IR and it cannot seem to recognize the TCL 55R613 hence my questioning whether this TCL has IR capability. The TCL owner's manual mentions nothing about it at all. Their website either.

If anyone has gotten a 4K Fire Stick to work with the R617 or R613 I'd sure like to know which IR profile they used.

Thanks.
venus933 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page