TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3497Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5131 of 6804 Old 02-06-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 6,658
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 24255
Quote:
Originally Posted by owcraftsman View Post
Late to the party but I got my 65R617 a few weeks ago and I have a question.

My setup is in my sig. I'm having an issue where volume is low or attenuated down when watching anything from the TCL which includes OTA and all strreaming apps.
My typical volume setting is 65 to 70% which is moderately loud but when I watch my Nvidia Sheild that volume level blows me away and I have to back it back down to 35-40% for a comfortable listening level. The same is true with my optical drives where comfortable listening begins a 35-40%

I spent an hour on the phone with TCL support where we tried a host of setting and resets to attempt to resolve.
I personally tried most of those things before calling and tried multiple HDMI cables ending with cables I know to be working properly borrowed from my optical drive.

Now that I have mostly ruled out the TCL I have yet to call Dennon and rule that out.

Is any one else experiencing this issue and know of a resolve.


BTW TCL support was great and made every effort to resolve including finding out what I'm connected to ie: AVR V4400H and starting a support ticket sent to engineering for review. Where it goes from here I do not know but they gave me the warm and fuzzies.
You might want to ask on the Denon 2017 model thread. If the devices go into separate inputs on your 4400 and then one output to the TV, I think you can set the volume level for each input. I'm not 100% positive but its worth asking.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1.) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Matt2026 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5132 of 6804 Old 02-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Close to pulling trigger on one of these. I have 2 questions, regarding xbox one x.

1. Does turning on game mode seriously wash out picture? I have samsung hu8500 and game mode gives serious hit to pic quality, mainly washing out of colors. I expect a little, but is it bad?

2. If TCL can pass thru dd+ atmos thru its apps, can i bitstream atmos (dd+) from my xbox thru the tcl to my Onkyo (i know onkyo supports dv, atmos, and hdr) via arc, or must i run xbox to receiver then to tv.
Mike Wheaton is offline  
post #5133 of 6804 Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Member
 
lucacow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
ok. trying to use the remote app to go into custom settings where you access gamma and noise reduction settings. i was trying to tweak the noise reduction and i see it only has settings for the standard presets. i was watching a dolby vision show on netflix and it was on dolby dark preset. i couldn't turn NR on no matter what. Gamma seemed to work as i could see those changes live but i really wanted to remove noise on this show. is this normal or am i missing something? thanks.


Maybe they feel that NR would probably not be necessary for a full 4K feed. I think it is meant for lower res content?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucacow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5134 of 6804 Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 5,895
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
hey guys, I'm setting up my tv and so far so good, but have a few questions.

The comcast picture is blurry (compared to my old Sony), What button do I press on the roku remote to see if it's in 1080?
I know the comcast box is set to HD.

Second question.
I have just finished calibrating the tv with the expert settings (rtings). The reds look a little too orange (compared to sony reds).
This is obvious to me, especially with the CNN logo. How do I change the red color?

The Sony soundbar works perfectly with this TV.
I do not see any banding, but the corners of the tv have some black on white.. (I think this is normal).

So far so good...no cracked screens and no massive problems
To your second point, if Red is too Orange, The first and easiest option to try would be tweaking the tint a bit. Any settings you get here or on a review site will be ballpark at best since each display has it's own fingerprint. There will always be minor and not so minor differences in production runs. I spent hours and hours with a meter calibrating my display and it looks amazing but my numbers ( posted way way back in this thread...) do not look close to some of the other settings I've seen posted. I'm sure part of the variance comes from the meter's sensor but it should be pretty close to a standard.

One of the most crucial settings that many overlook is getting a proper gray scale. With out that nothing will be right. Turn the color off and look at the B&W image, does it look right? With the 11 point settings it can be hard to easily adjust the image, with equipment much easier. I was coming from a professionally calibrated display so I had a pretty good idea what things should look like. Personally I'd reset everything, watch it for a week or two then begin tweaking things.
Matt L is offline  
post #5135 of 6804 Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 2,704
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Any settings you get here or on a review site will be ballpark at best since each display has it's own fingerprint. There will always be minor and not so minor differences in production runs.
This is an important point. The settings others suggest, including rtings settings, are just a start really. For example, my OLED tint setting is quite a bit different than the rtings setting and what quite a few other OLED owners have on their sets. Other people have their saturation or brightness setting different. One really should use some kind of standard, at a minimum a calibration disc, to try to get the right settings, unless you just want to adjust to what looks good to you and leave it at that. I mean that's fine also for some folks.
smitty is offline  
post #5136 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Some questions with regards to Normal 1080 and HDR viewing.

So i set up the tv last night, and plugged in all the ratings numbers.
Backlight is 0 and i also turned my brightness to 40, and color to 40. Cable looks pretty good. I always use CNN as a reference.

Here is my question
I went to you tube to watch some HDR 4/8 K DOLBY vision stuff, and as soon as I play these videos all my settings change. Does the TV automatically adjust to HDR stuff?
I noticed the backlight was 100.
I then went back to cable and all my settings are still there.

My TV has minimal banding, it really is a non-issue. There is some DSE but ever so minimal. The corners are dark (black blotches) but i think that is normal.
TCL definitely have to improve their uniformity in white and grey colors.
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5137 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
could you guys tell me ONE clip or video that is supposed to blow me away in hdr dolby?
Some people say Jack ryan?

I did see a morocco 8k video on you tube that looked very good
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5138 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 AM
Member
 
icicle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Some questions with regards to Normal 1080 and HDR viewing.

So i set up the tv last night, and plugged in all the ratings numbers.
Backlight is 0 and i also turned my brightness to 40, and color to 40. Cable looks pretty good. I always use CNN as a reference.

Here is my question
I went to you tube to watch some HDR 4/8 K DOLBY vision stuff, and as soon as I play these videos all my settings change. Does the TV automatically adjust to HDR stuff?
I noticed the backlight was 100.
I then went back to cable and all my settings are still there.

My TV has minimal banding, it really is a non-issue. There is some DSE but ever so minimal. The corners are dark (black blotches) but i think that is normal.
TCL definitely have to improve their uniformity in white and grey colors.
It is normal that your TV detects HDR or Dolby Vision and switches to a preset designed for that. I think there are 3 presets for Dolby Vision: Dolby Dark, Dolby Normal and Dolby Bright. You can make adjustments to these individually and they will stick and only apply when a Dolby Vision signal is detected. The same goes for Straight HDR10.

I find it a little odd that you have the back light at 0 for regular viewing. I realize that it is still bright enough to see the tv but I find the picture to be a little "murky" or lacking at 0 so I usually don't go much lower than 20. Is 0 a normal setting for everyone and I am just missing something?

Thanks.
icicle22 is offline  
post #5139 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have the backlight at 0
I use normal instead of warm (I find warm adds orange to the reds)
local dimming is high
picture mode = low power

I think rtings also have their backlight to zero?
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5140 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
sorry, picture mode normal. Not low power
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5141 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 AM
Member
 
icicle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I have the backlight at 0
I use normal instead of warm (I find warm adds orange to the reds)
local dimming is high
picture mode = low power

I think rtings also have their backlight to zero?
I may have to give 0 a try but it seems weird to me as I naturally would assume 0 to be "off" and it is not. So where is the illumination coming from if the backlight is off? Seems weird to me but it's just the way they do it.

I also find the "warm" setting a little too orangy but normal and cool don't cut it either. I am using the settings for WB from Rtings as well and seems good so far. I do wish I could apply some Noise Reduction to HDR material though. There are just a few older HDR movies/shows on netflix that have such a heavy grain to them that I find distracting. I would clean up the noise on my Samsung KS8000 and they looked great. NR seems to be tied to Non HDR presets only when using the Roku app. Why they chose to hide the NR and gamma in an app is weird. I can understand the 11pt white balance since the GUI on the phone makes it easier.

I guess it is what it is.
icicle22 is offline  
post #5142 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 06:14 AM
Member
 
icicle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by owcraftsman View Post
Late to the party but I got my 65R617 a few weeks ago and I have a question.

My setup is in my sig. I'm having an issue where volume is low or attenuated down when watching anything from the TCL which includes OTA and all strreaming apps.
My typical volume setting is 65 to 70% which is moderately loud but when I watch my Nvidia Sheild that volume level blows me away and I have to back it back down to 35-40% for a comfortable listening level. The same is true with my optical drives where comfortable listening begins a 35-40%

I spent an hour on the phone with TCL support where we tried a host of setting and resets to attempt to resolve.
I personally tried most of those things before calling and tried multiple HDMI cables ending with cables I know to be working properly borrowed from my optical drive.

Now that I have mostly ruled out the TCL I have yet to call Dennon and rule that out.

Is any one else experiencing this issue and know of a resolve.


BTW TCL support was great and made every effort to resolve including finding out what I'm connected to ie: AVR V4400H and starting a support ticket sent to engineering for review. Where it goes from here I do not know but they gave me the warm and fuzzies.
I am experiencing the same thing and I do not have resolution unfortunately. All the internal Roku apps are significantly quieter than devices hooked up via HDMI inputs. I have tried PS4, Firestick 4k and WDTV media player and all of these are perfect at -35db on my Harman Kardon AVR. Switch to internal Roku apps and it is so quiet I have to increase Harman Kardon to -17db to get about the same perceived output.

My solution for now is to use all external devices. The only app I don't have access to is the ROKU channel and I don't really use that at all right now.

I figured it's just the way it's designed.

FYI. I have same experience when using the TV's builtin speakers as well so its not limited to the Optical output only.
icicle22 is offline  
post #5143 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 06:24 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,414
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8965 Post(s)
Liked: 5746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
Close to pulling trigger on one of these. I have 2 questions, regarding xbox one x.



1. Does turning on game mode seriously wash out picture? I have samsung hu8500 and game mode gives serious hit to pic quality, mainly washing out of colors. I expect a little, but is it bad?



2. If TCL can pass thru dd+ atmos thru its apps, can i bitstream atmos (dd+) from my xbox thru the tcl to my Onkyo (i know onkyo supports dv, atmos, and hdr) via arc, or must i run xbox to receiver then to tv.
Game mode doesn't wash out the picture at all on my 6 series.

And you have to use game mode. Without it there is far too much lag to even play a game.


You also can't use the Xbox through the ARC to get Atmos. You need to connect it directly to the receiver. The Xbox is using lossless Atmos which cannot be sent over the ARc on the TCL.

If you use the arc with the Xbox then you need to send legacy 5.1 DD or 5.1 DTS or 2..0 p m

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #5144 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 06:32 AM
Member
 
wavsine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I think rtings also have their backlight to zero?
rtings sets the backlight to 25:

TV brightness: Darker
Picture mode: Dolby Vision Dark or HDR Dark
Picture size: Direct

Advanced picture settings
Picture mode: Dolby Vision Dark or HDR Dark
Local contrast: High
Backlight: 25
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 20
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: Warm
Natural cinema: On
LED motion clarity: Off

Expert picture settings (available from the Roku app on your phone or tablet)
Picture mode: Dolby Vision Dark or HDR Dark
Gamma: 2.2 (2.4)
Noise reduction: Off

Last edited by wavsine; 02-07-2019 at 08:19 AM.
wavsine is offline  
post #5145 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 07:17 AM
Member
 
icicle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
rtings sets the backlight to 25:

TV brightness: Darker
Picture mode: Dolby Vision Dark or HDR Dark
Picture size: Direct

Advanced picture settings
Picture mode: Dolby Vision Dark or HDR Dark
Local contrast: High
Backlight: 25
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 20
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: Warm
Natural cinema: On
LED motion clarity: Off

Expert picture settings (available from the Roku app on your phone or tablet)
Picture mode: Dolby Vision Dark or HDR Dark
Gamma: 2.4
Noise reduction: Off
When I'm in the app I can only get access to the base "movie, normal, vivid, etc" presets. The Dolby Vision option is not available. Is that normal? I can't seem to make settings in the app that only affect the Dolby or HDR presets.
icicle22 is offline  
post #5146 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
This guy's expert settings are different


going to try these tonight.

I thought gamma should be 2.2? You say 2.4?
Albert Street likes this.
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5147 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Member
 
wavsine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
This guy's expert settings are different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92dSBt270FQ&t=22s

going to try these tonight.

I thought gamma should be 2.2? You say 2.4?
The gamma is 2.2 on rtings. I forgot I had modified that setting in app. Here is another setting from cnet:

The settings below assume the 11-point grayscale and CMS controls on the app are zeroed out.

Dark room settings__________________________________________ ____________________

TV brightness: Darker
Picture mode: Movie*
Picture size: Auto

Advanced picture settings:

Picture mode: Movie*
Local contrast: High
Backlight: 23
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: Warm
Game mode: Off

Roku app Settings/Expert picture settings menu:

Picture mode: Movie*
Gamma: 2.4
Noise reduction: Off


Bright room settings__________________________________________ __________________

TV Brightness: Brighter
Picture mode: Movie
Picture size: Auto

Last edited by wavsine; 02-07-2019 at 08:22 AM.
wavsine is offline  
post #5148 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Game mode doesn't wash out the picture at all on my 6 series.

And you have to use game mode. Without it there is far too much lag to even play a game.


You also can't use the Xbox through the ARC to get Atmos. You need to connect it directly to the receiver. The Xbox is using lossless Atmos which cannot be sent over the ARc on the TCL.

If you use the arc with the Xbox then you need to send legacy 5.1 DD or 5.1 DTS or 2..0 p m

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk
Oh ok, i thought the xbox was sending dd+ atmos for games not full blown atmos. I though that was reserved for bluray etc thru xbox.

Is there any dissadvantage to going to receiver then to tcl. My onkyo does DV/HDR/4K. As long as i dont have upscaling by receiver i shouldnt introduce any lag correct?
Mike Wheaton is offline  
post #5149 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Or do i run thru the tv then settle for receiver applying nueral-x/dsu to the dd/dts signal. I only have entry level speakers (klipsch quintet iii) so not sure i could tell much difference in that or true atmos.

Im just thinking out loud here, i know the answer is test for myself and see which i like better.

Anyone else have opinion with similiar equip (xbox one x, onkyo tx-nr555, 5.1.2 set up)
Mike Wheaton is offline  
post #5150 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wheaton View Post
Or do i run thru the tv then settle for receiver applying nueral-x/dsu to the dd/dts signal. I only have entry level speakers (klipsch quintet iii) so not sure i could tell much difference in that or true atmos.

Im just thinking out loud here, i know the answer is test for myself and see which i like better.

Anyone else have opinion with similiar equip (xbox one x, onkyo tx-nr555, 5.1.2 set up)
as long as you know......

keep us posted buddy.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
solarrdadd is offline  
post #5151 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
guys have you tried this
https://www.marseilleinc.com/cinema-edition/

Linus says it really helps...The upscaling on the tcl is not that good.. i mean for normal 1080 cable
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5152 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Forget my above post
This does not work for 4k HDR tv's ....damn!! Apparently it upscales cable box content really well
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5153 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Member
 
icicle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
guys have you tried this
https://www.marseilleinc.com/cinema-edition/

Linus says it really helps...The upscaling on the tcl is not that good.. i mean for normal 1080 cable
And most cable is still streaming 720P or 1080i so it's even further from 4k than you might think. I think that is why I feel Netflix and Hulu versions of Broadcast TV programs looks so much better. Real 1080p?
icicle22 is offline  
post #5154 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
And most cable is still streaming 720P or 1080i so it's even further from 4k than you might think. I think that is why I feel Netflix and Hulu versions of Broadcast TV programs looks so much better. Real 1080p?
what do you mean? Netflix does not stream cable channels?
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5155 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Member
 
icicle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
what do you mean? Netflix does not stream cable channels?
I mean if I watch a previous season network show that'snow on netflix it looks better than the same show if I watch it from a direct cable feed. I'm not claiming it streams live TV or anything like that.

So an episode of say "Supernatural" on the CW from last year looks better this year on Netflix than it did when it was broadcast last year....at say 720p and a potentially a lower bit rate via cable broadcast. I mean....I can see way more pixelation and macro blocking in dark areas on the original broadcast than the Netflix or Hulu versions of the same content.

Surely others see this too....right?
THX1720 and Jerry Sullivan like this.
icicle22 is offline  
post #5156 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 2,802
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
could you guys tell me ONE clip or video that is supposed to blow me away in hdr dolby?
Some people say Jack ryan?

I did see a morocco 8k video on you tube that looked very good
Youtube HDR is limited to HDR10, you won't find Dolby Vision samples there. Try the Dolby Access app from the Roku store, or try downloading a DV sample file from 4kmedia.org. The best samples are going to come from a UHD disc,
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #5157 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So, after the FIRST day I would like to give my initial impression of this 65" TV.
Unfortunately, I can only compare it to the SONYXBR65900A a 4k tv from 2013, which cost $5000 and was Sonys' Flagship back then. The sony was edge lit, no Fald, no HDR.

I am very pleased with this TCL tv thus far.

1. Unboxing
The BB tv came in perfect shape, not a scratch. The feet were easy to install. This tv does feel somewhat "top heavy" but quite stable. I bet the 55" model is less top heavy.
In the unboxing videos I have seen on you tube, there were a lot of sticky tapes on this tv. My tv had none, so nothing to peel off.

2. Set up on the roku was really easy and very user friendly. My Asus RT-N66R router is 30 meters away and the tv immediately detected the 5G network and there is no lag or buffering during streaming 4k. There's multiple walls between the router and the tv. I am very impressed. I am getting 4 bars out of 5, so great reception.

3. A few people on the internet have reported that Sony sound bars do not play well with TCL tv's. My HT-ST7 works fine, however the volume seems much lower. I still need to do some more testing. Obviously, it's important to go into the settings in the tcl, (CEC device, and HDMI 3 ARC) and tell the tv to use an external device.

4. I only have a comcast cable box hooked into the HDMI 2 of the soundbar. Then out of the soundbar to HDMI3 of the TCL. The only problem I have (and am scratching my head) is that when the tv and soundbar are turned OFF then turned back ON (Either with the comcast remote or the roku remote), the soundbar when turning back on, defaults to the wrong HDMI so there is no sound. I manually have to use the Sony soundbar remote to change HDMI input of the comcast cable box (HDMI2 in this case). The sony soundbar has never done this in the past. It has always turned on memorizing the same HDMI input setting it was turned off with.

5. 1080 comcast. The sony upscales much better. Details on peoples faces (hair, pimples, makeup) is much crisper. TCL really needs improvement in this area.

6. 4k. I have been watching 4k since 2013. This tv blows the Sony out of the water. HOWEVER on both tv's i get slight tremors or faint stuttering whilst watching some 4k content...no idea what this is?

7. HDR, not an expert, but this is a game changer...looks really impressive. I cannot imagine an OLED tv to be better than this...

8. Sonys whites are white, so are the greys all grey. I do see some uniformity issues with the TCL tv, but they do not bother me. All 4 corners are dark but this is a large tv. My eyes are not watching the corner of the tv. In brief, the DSE and banding on the TCL are minimal.


9. Would I buy another $5'000 65" Sony? Not over my dead body.

10. Any regrets? Yes.. I want the 75" tcl... now that I have seen what HDR can do, size really matters
aaronwt, dad1153, lucacow and 1 others like this.
quovadis123 is offline  
post #5158 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Member
 
icicle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
This guy's expert settings are different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92dSBt270FQ&t=22s

going to try these tonight.

I thought gamma should be 2.2? You say 2.4?
So I watched this video and it is not for the 6 series however I see that he has more options to fine-tune different modes. I attached a screen grab for example. When I hit the same drop down I only get:

Low Power
Movie
Normal
Vivid
Sports

I just want to verify that is what everyone is seeing on the 65r615/617.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2521754  
icicle22 is offline  
post #5159 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davcole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post
They need to add HLG to the supported HDR modes as well!
Agreed! HLG and HDR 10+.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
davcole is offline  
post #5160 of 6804 Old 02-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
question

The expert settings. Once we have finished plugging in all the numbers. Is there a save button? Or do we simply not save it?
I simply plugged all the numbers in then exited the roku app...there's no save button
quovadis123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off