So, after the FIRST day I would like to give my initial impression of this 65" TV.
Unfortunately, I can only compare it to the SONYXBR65900A a 4k tv from 2013, which cost $5000 and was Sonys' Flagship back then. The sony was edge lit, no Fald, no HDR.
I am very pleased with this TCL tv thus far.
The BB tv came in perfect shape, not a scratch. The feet were easy to install. This tv does feel somewhat "top heavy" but quite stable. I bet the 55" model is less top heavy.
In the unboxing videos I have seen on you tube, there were a lot of sticky tapes on this tv. My tv had none, so nothing to peel off.
2. Set up on the roku was really easy and very user friendly. My Asus RT-N66R router is 30 meters away and the tv immediately detected the 5G network and there is no lag or buffering during streaming 4k. There's multiple walls between the router and the tv. I am very impressed. I am getting 4 bars out of 5, so great reception.
3. A few people on the internet have reported that Sony sound bars do not play well with TCL tv's. My HT-ST7 works fine, however the volume seems much lower. I still need to do some more testing. Obviously, it's important to go into the settings in the tcl, (CEC device, and HDMI 3 ARC) and tell the tv to use an external device.
4. I only have a comcast cable box hooked into the HDMI 2 of the soundbar. Then out of the soundbar to HDMI3 of the TCL. The only problem I have (and am scratching my head) is that when the tv and soundbar are turned OFF then turned back ON (Either with the comcast remote or the roku remote), the soundbar when turning back on, defaults to the wrong HDMI so there is no sound. I manually have to use the Sony soundbar remote to change HDMI input of the comcast cable box (HDMI2 in this case). The sony soundbar has never done this in the past. It has always turned on memorizing the same HDMI input setting it was turned off with.
5. 1080 comcast. The sony upscales much better. Details on peoples faces (hair, pimples, makeup) is much crisper. TCL really needs improvement in this area.
6. 4k. I have been watching 4k since 2013. This tv blows the Sony out of the water. HOWEVER on both tv's i get slight tremors or faint stuttering whilst watching some 4k content...no idea what this is?
7. HDR, not an expert, but this is a game changer...looks really impressive. I cannot imagine an OLED tv to be better than this...
8. Sonys whites are white, so are the greys all grey. I do see some uniformity issues with the TCL tv, but they do not bother me. All 4 corners are dark but this is a large tv. My eyes are not watching the corner of the tv. In brief, the DSE and banding on the TCL are minimal.
9. Would I buy another $5'000 65" Sony? Not over my dead body.
10. Any regrets? Yes.. I want the 75" tcl... now that I have seen what HDR can do, size really matters