TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3584Likes

post #5851 of 6981 Old 04-05-2019, 02:25 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9091 Post(s)
Liked: 5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
How did you roll back to OS 8?
I had to message back and forth with the Roku tech person on the ROku forums(mentioned earlier in this thread). I had to give them my info, equipment, roku serial numbers etc. And the trouble shooting involved and what I was seeing. After troubleshooting things they eventually rolled mine back. He said it should stay on there until they have an update.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6981 Old 04-05-2019, 02:28 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post
Aaron, have you come across anyone else that experienced problems similar to what you had with OS9? Those were some pretty major issues with your set. Mine has been fine so far with OS9 and as far as I can tell even my DV picture has remained the same and I still use DV Dark.
I have not. It seems like it's related to changes with OS9 and my Onkyo NR656 receiver. Since the problem devices do work properly connected directly to the TV, but not when going through the Onkyo. But once it was rolled back, everything worked properly again through the Onkyo. So I'm hopeful they will be able to have a fix for it, sometime in the future.
Panic 66 likes this.

post #5853 of 6981 Old 04-05-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have not. It seems like it's related to changes with OS9 and my Onkyo NR656 receiver. Since the problem devices do work properly connected directly to the TV, but not when going through the Onkyo. But once it was rolled back, everything worked properly again through the Onkyo. So I'm hopeful they will be able to have a fix for it, sometime in the future.

Sounds like maybe an onkyo issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5854 of 6981 Old 04-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a gazebo with 8 windows. Do you think it's bright enough to work in there?
post #5855 of 6981 Old 04-05-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhead2 View Post
I have a gazebo with 8 windows. Do you think it's bright enough to work in there?

Bright enough depends on how much light you get through those windows but I would worry about reflections... This tv didn't have the best ambient light rejection.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

post #5856 of 6981 Old 04-05-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
Bright enough depends on how much light you get through those windows but I would worry about reflections... This tv didn't have the best ambient light rejection.

Thanks. That was another thing I was worried about.
post #5857 of 6981 Old 04-05-2019, 04:34 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Sounds like maybe an onkyo issue?

Yes but everything works perfectly with OS8. Something changed with OS9 that caused the issues.

post #5858 of 6981 Old 04-06-2019, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since I am having all these Dolby Vision issues, who do I contact at TCL? What is the best method? Phone call ? Emails? Is there a chat?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #5859 of 6981 Old 04-06-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes but everything works perfectly with OS8. Something changed with OS9 that caused the issues.

It might be one of those things where the onkyo is out of spec but it wasn't causing an issue until this update tightened up how the Roku handles that spec....

post #5860 of 6981 Old 04-07-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Going to seem like an extreme recommendation for a fix, but if you see certain parts of screen that show those weird spotlights, grab the top right corner and give the screen a good shake where the entire screen gets a
Good looking reaction. It will return the set to an excellent uniformity as far as the black levels go. Been doing this every month since bought at launch. I swear to you this is legit. It has to do with some strange static issue within the screen physical levels. It's eliminated my spotlight issues entirely, doing this on a regular basis.
post #5861 of 6981 Old 04-07-2019, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 172

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #5862 of 6981 Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplizit View Post
Going to seem like an extreme recommendation for a fix, but if you see certain parts of screen that show those weird spotlights, grab the top right corner and give the screen a good shake where the entire screen gets a

Good looking reaction. It will return the set to an excellent uniformity as far as the black levels go. Been doing this every month since bought at launch. I swear to you this is legit. It has to do with some strange static issue within the screen physical levels. It's eliminated my spotlight issues entirely, doing this on a regular basis.

How would shaking the screen fix a static charge issue?

If anything this sounds like it might shake the lighting element back to its correct position if it's somehow worked it's way lose.

post #5863 of 6981 Old 04-07-2019, 08:42 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
It might be one of those things where the onkyo is out of spec but it wasn't causing an issue until this update tightened up how the Roku handles that spec....

The problem is if that is the case then Sony and LG have a loose spec too. Since everything works properly with the Onkyo and those TVs as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

post #5864 of 6981 Old 04-07-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've ordered a Samsung NU8000 75" from Dell last week, should be delivered this week some time :-)

Reason for my question is I started getting cold feet on it :-(

Why should I not be looking at either the:

- TCL 6 Series - 75"
- Vizio P75-F1

I'll be using this TV in a media room which is darker, but can be bright with lights on. For TV and Movies! Price is about the same for all three -- with the Samsung being about $200 higher. I'm fine with the higher price but I am worried that I'll miss not having FALD backlighting. And I'm leaning towards the TCL as it think it looks better when when off HA... Note I have had an original LG OLED TV in the room for a few years but upgrading from 55" to 75" and can't afford an OLED ;-)
post #5865 of 6981 Old 04-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Can I ask if your set pushed black into red in the dark scenes of edge of tomorrow in dv?

https://youtu.be/fYU7M3RSBbA

This bothers me but hasn't seemed to happen on any other movie and didn't seem to happen when I watched in. Hdr10

To fix this red push, I used the Rtings settings, Expert Picture Settings Color Temperature and White Balance Values they give you. That seems to have fixed it. I also use Gamma 1.8 for DV

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #5866 of 6981 Old 04-07-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
How would shaking the screen fix a static charge issue?

If anything this sounds like it might shake the lighting element back to its correct position if it's somehow worked it's way lose.

I know it sounds weird, but I noticed after wiping the screen down that the light white blotches that show up in dark scenes moved. After massaging down again with an all black video played from YouTube, I could move these blotches around. After getting them away from corner I tried shaking the screen a bit and noticed them disappearing and black uniformity gets better. Every few months they start showing again and I repeat this process. Has to be some form of static buildup or something. Don't know what else would cause it.
post #5867 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
I know it sounds weird, but I noticed after wiping the screen down that the light white blotches that show up in dark scenes moved. After massaging down again with an all black video played from YouTube, I could move these blotches around. After getting them away from corner I tried shaking the screen a bit and noticed them disappearing and black uniformity gets better. Every few months they start showing again and I repeat this process. Has to be some form of static buildup or something. Don't know what else would cause it.
Funny I ran across this post as I just bought a 75" 6 series this weekend and in my 6 hours or so with it yesterday I was very impressed but was noticing something going happening on the right hand side of the screen. Then when I was loading something on PS Vue a black screen came up that looked like this.

Spoiler!

I will try this to see what it does but chances are I will be boxing this up to take it back for an exchange to see if I can get a set that doesn't have this or at least has it very minimally.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #5868 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
To fix this red push, I used the Rtings settings, Expert Picture Settings Color Temperature and White Balance Values they give you. That seems to have fixed it. I also use Gamma 1.8 for DV

I'm pretty sure I am using those setting already but I'll check again thanks!

post #5869 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yet my guess is it's less a static issue (not likely to get pushed around) and more a physical issues and you are pushing/shaking the image elements so that they are in the right position to work.

For instance perhaps the diffuser is getting to close to the LCD or something in those areas

post #5870 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post
I've ordered a Samsung NU8000 75" from Dell last week, should be delivered this week some time :-)

Reason for my question is I started getting cold feet on it :-(

Why should I not be looking at either the:

- TCL 6 Series - 75"

- Vizio P75-F1

I'll be using this TV in a media room which is darker, but can be bright with lights on. For TV and Movies! Price is about the same for all three -- with the Samsung being about $200 higher. I'm fine with the higher price but I am worried that I'll miss not having FALD backlighting. And I'm leaning towards the TCL as it think it looks better when when off HA... Note I have had an original LG OLED TV in the room for a few years but upgrading from 55" to 75" and can't afford an OLED ;-)

I would avoid the Vizio because the fald implementation is bad. It causes all kinds of blooming.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NYhg8W_uX7ZrcL

post #5871 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 08:04 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I am using those setting already but I'll check again thanks!

Because no two sets are alike, it's not surprising that you may not get adequate results.
You can look at typical brightness/contrast/color levels, but grayscale and gamma settings will be solely dependent on the individual tv.
Good luck.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #5872 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Yet my guess is it's less a static issue (not likely to get pushed around) and more a physical issues and you are pushing/shaking the image elements so that they are in the right position to work.

For instance perhaps the diffuser is getting to close to the LCD or something in those areas
The rtings guys actually did a demonstration where they dropped a QLED TV to realign the light guide plates. It helped the brightness a bit but hurt uniformity.

Please don't try this at home.

aaronwt likes this.
post #5873 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
I just bought a 75" 6 series this weekend and in my 6 hours or so with it yesterday I was very impressed. Then when I was loading something on PS Vue a black screen came up that looked like this.

Spoiler!

I will try this to see what it does but chances are I will be boxing this up to take it back for an exchange to see if I can get a set that doesn't have this or at least has it very minimally.
That looks horrible! When the 55" TCL P Series first came out, I remember people talking about loading screens (menus) looking horrible.

Does it look like that when you have an image with a black background? Check out the Dobly Vision videos from the built in app.

The pictures I've linked are from the Cacti Video.

https://imgur.com/a/Xs58N3Z

https://imgur.com/a/dCGnN29

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
post #5874 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post
Because no two sets are alike, it's not surprising that you may not get adequate results.

You can look at typical brightness/contrast/color levels, but grayscale and gamma settings will be solely dependent on the individual tv.

Good luck.

CFC

Yeah I checked and am using the rtings settings already and. Tried all three color space options and nothing maden it better.

I understand settings are per panel however based on what I've seen in terms of image change from these settings I don't believe the amount of variation from one panel to another could result in the settings being different enough to cause this level of red push...

post #5875 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Never noticed this before..The last series I watched with fast acting stuff is Hanna. She races around the screen and fights like a monkey on steroids, and I see no artifacts with motion set to high...so weird..

If i take action smoothing off, i get vibrations. If i put natural cinema on, I also get vibrations.

I decided to try turning it on again after tinkering with some settings today and captured an example

These are on medium but it's pretty much same error levels on low.

I've slow motioned the area in question to make it easier to see but in full speed they are still very noticeable.

Watch settings his legs for artifacting

Here's three frames the first one you can see the background cutting into his shin. The second his shin is just a mess of artifacting and the third his shin is whole again and looks normal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2483.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2550448Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2484.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	2550450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2485.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	2550452

Interestingly YouTube compression seems to actually cover some of the effect but you can still see it. If you watch this scene and don't notice it then you are fortunate to not be sensitive to this artifacting

Last edited by Devedander; 04-08-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #5876 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam View Post
That looks horrible! When the 55" TCL P Series first came out, I remember people talking about loading screens (menus) looking horrible.

Does it look like that when you have an image with a black background? Check out the Dobly Vision videos from the built in app.

The pictures I've linked are from the Cacti Video.

https://imgur.com/a/Xs58N3Z

https://imgur.com/a/dCGnN29
I have that app on my Xbox One X so I will try it out tonight but I don't think you see it when there is an image with a black background. The only reason I say that is because when the movie was loading up and it was on the FBI warning page the background was inky black...it only looks like that when you are on a "static" screen (that shot was taken from PS Vue when a channel would not load up) and is noticeable in the letterbox bars on the right side of the screen.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

post #5877 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
weird

Quote:
I decided to try turning it on again after tinkering with some settings today and captured an example

These are on medium but it's pretty much same error levels on low.

I've slow motioned the area in question to make it easier to see but in full speed they are still very noticeable.

https://youtu.be/ulcPsfdhLac
Watch settings his legs for artifacting

Here's three frames the first one you can see the background cutting into his shin. The second his shin is just a mess of artifacting and the third his shin is whole again and looks normal.

Attachment 2550448Attachment 2550450Attachment 2550452

Interestingly YouTube compression seems to actually cover some of the effect but you can still see it. If you watch this scene and don't notice it then you are fortunate to not be sensitive to this artifacting

I will compare with your specific you tube video. Could it just be a bad you tube video?? This is so weird, normally, I would see artifacts and vibrations only if action smoothing were to be turned off, and or natural cinema be turned on.
I don't know if you have netflix? Look at the movie The Highwaymen. The two policemen have a collectors vehicle. In front, there's a metallic grill. That grill vibrates pretty badly if I do not have action smoothing on.
post #5878 of 6981 Old 04-08-2019, 12:18 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Funny I ran across this post as I just bought a 75" 6 series this weekend and in my 6 hours or so with it yesterday I was very impressed but was noticing something going happening on the right hand side of the screen. Then when I was loading something on PS Vue a black screen came up that looked like this.

Spoiler!

That looks like the Local Dimming isnt on. With it on that screen should be very black.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

post #5879 of 6981 Old 04-09-2019, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That looks like the Local Dimming isnt on. With it on that screen should be very black.

Sent from my Galaxy S10
You sir were correct, local dimming was off and after changing to the highest setting the screen went totally black and looked a lot better. That being said though, when something letterbox comes on the screen the right side of the letterbox is still a dark grey compared to almost inky black on the left side so I still think there is a slight issue.

In regards to the black screen uniformity, here is a better picture than the ones I took yesterday. I still think I am going to exchange it this weekend to see if I can get a panel that has a little better screen uniformity. Overall I am still really happy with the TV and will be even happier if I can get a panel with very minimal issues even though for the price I think this TV is top notch.

Ed

post #5880 of 6981 Old 04-09-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I figured I would put this here since I would imagine this applies to the 55", 65" and 75" 6 series TV's. One other small gripe I have which has nothing to do with the actual TV itself but rather the remote control. Being a Harmony owner I am not liking the fact that this TV does not have a standard remote as I am having issues getting the TCL 6 series commands to work properly with my Harmony 900. I went to add it and barely any of the buttons crossed over so I tried do the learn IR commands.

It seemed like it was going well until I tested it and toggle power button was turning the TV on and off, it was controlling the volume and to be honest none of the buttons that came over during the setup ended up working. I really like my harmony and use the activities function but it seems like I will have to leave the TCL out of the mix unless I can figure out how to get the commands to work properly. If anyone has had similar issues and knows of a workaround I wold greatly appreciate it.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page