TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3497Likes

post #6091 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian View Post
I think I found a way to up load it. Check my previous post. I edited it with the photo. Each one of those blanks squares is supposed to be an option ie: Antenna, Xbox, Streaming media, etc... These are what I named them, but all apps icons same.thing. I have to unplug and turn back on to her them to show up.
If I were you I would contact TCL. I own 5 of their sets and have never seen anything like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Thanks for all the help yesterday aaronwt and solarrdadd. Got all the ARC stuff working last night and it is so nice having the audio go to my AVR from in TV apps.
aaronwt and solarrdadd like this.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #6093 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Just chiming in to say that DV on The OA II on Netflix looks incredible. Everything looks awesome to our eyes.
aaronwt, Smigro and solarrdadd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6094 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone have any good content they recommend checking out to really see this TV in action and first 4k etc TV? I have Amazon Prime but that's about the only current subscription I have to anything. I have a friend who will probably let me use their Netflix but they aren't paying any extra for 4k if that's required. Any good "free" content out there through Prime or anything else other than the 2 minute clips in the Dolby app on the TV? Should I look into buying a 4k UHD player, or subscribing to anything else if I can afford it for content? I see the TV has Fandango and Vudu and some other services to buy and or rent movies from, if I am interested in potentially buying or renting a movie to see my TV in action, is one service more recommended or preferable to another? Would I be better off buying a player and physical media if I was really interested in purchasing a movie instead of doing so on a digital platform? Really would like to enjoy the TV as much as possible but currently limited to cable/Prime/Laptop and 1080p consoles. My laptop has GTX 1080 and can output 4k without issue, but I don't know if it can do UHD abilities, and even so all of my digital movies on my hard drives are 1080p or lower.
post #6095 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam View Post
That's called vignetting and pretty much all panels (yes even OLEDS) can have it. With that said, only you can decide what you are willing to put up with.

I know my 65" has it but I only noticed it when I went looking for it (ran a bunch of tests). During content (movies and video games), I never noticed it.

I haven't ran any tests on the 75" but my UHD BD player has bright white menu screens and I haven't noticed any "issues".
I think they should make TV's with rounded corners...so we do not see vignetting in the corners!
post #6096 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got back from Best Buy, have a new one being delivered on Fri. Thanks to those for taking the time to lend some insight.
post #6097 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I think they should make TV's with rounded corners...so we do not see vignetting in the corners!
LOL! speaking of retro!

aaronwt likes this.
post #6098 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review

Nevermind...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander

Last edited by Devedander; 04-23-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #6099 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for your help with this. I am going to keep the set. I don't see any issues in regular viewing. Your perspective really helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunno View Post
Hi all
I received the 65R617 from Rakuten/EE about a week ago.

I am not sure if I should keep, return or replace. I have been reading many comments here and on slickdeals and am totally confused. I ran some tests using DSE hockey test on youtube and some other tests. I definitely see dark corners in that test (all corners) and some smudges on the screen . I don't see the smudges in regular viewing (unless it's kids cartoons with lots of whites in it). However, the dark corners are visible. Is this a big deal? I am torn between getting my money's worth and who cares.

I tried to take a picture in a dark room (the bottom left is the energy sticker that I haven't removed yet). If there is a better way to take a picture, please let me know.

Please advise what should I do.

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam View Post
That's called vignetting and pretty much all panels (yes even OLEDS) can have it. With that said, only you can decide what you are willing to put up with.

I know my 65" has it but I only noticed it when I went looking for it (ran a bunch of tests). During content (movies and video games), I never noticed it.

I haven't ran any tests on the 75" but my UHD BD player has bright white menu screens and I haven't noticed any "issues".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
Dark corners are just going to be a thing with FALD sets.

Your DSE. Looks pretty good from that picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
If the dark corners aren't visible during regular viewing (or extremely rarely) then don't sweat it. I had a TCL tv for 2 years prior to getting this new one. I never noticed any dark corners or thought about it. Then after doing research for the new TCL I saw references to dark corners (vignetting) and did a test. Suddenly I saw them. They had been there all along for 2 years but I hadn't seen them and they had never been a distraction during regular viewing.

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. Don't go looking for problems, because you'll find something in every tv, and it's difficult to unsee once you see them.

If you see problems during regular viewing then that's a different story.
post #6100 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunno View Post
Thank you all for your help with this. I am going to keep the set. I don't see any issues in regular viewing. Your perspective really helped.
Both my 55” R617 and 75” 900F have darker corners. Can’t really tell unless it’s full screen light color. No issues watching any actual content.
post #6101 of 6804 Old 04-23-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacies View Post
Does anyone have any good content they recommend checking out to really see this TV in action and first 4k etc TV? I have Amazon Prime but that's about the only current subscription I have to anything. I have a friend who will probably let me use their Netflix but they aren't paying any extra for 4k if that's required. Any good "free" content out there through Prime or anything else other than the 2 minute clips in the Dolby app on the TV? Should I look into buying a 4k UHD player, or subscribing to anything else if I can afford it for content? I see the TV has Fandango and Vudu and some other services to buy and or rent movies from, if I am interested in potentially buying or renting a movie to see my TV in action, is one service more recommended or preferable to another? Would I be better off buying a player and physical media if I was really interested in purchasing a movie instead of doing so on a digital platform? Really would like to enjoy the TV as much as possible but currently limited to cable/Prime/Laptop and 1080p consoles. My laptop has GTX 1080 and can output 4k without issue, but I don't know if it can do UHD abilities, and even so all of my digital movies on my hard drives are 1080p or lower.
Check out the Dolby app, lots of great images and sound if you have an atmos setup. There are some 4K apps too that are mostly free.
post #6102 of 6804 Old 04-24-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Check out the Dolby app, lots of great images and sound if you have an atmos setup. There are some 4K apps too that are mostly free.
I don't have atmos but I will have my 5.1 setup soon enough. I have tried the Dolby app and it's nice but it's mostly all 2 minute clips showing off little scenes where as I'd like to find some TV series which I know Prime has a couple, or some movies to really enjoy and show it off. I've always been a Jean Claude Van Damme fan so I've been watching his Prime show that I didn't know existed but sadly it's only 1 season and probably not the best thing for trying to show off the TV.
post #6103 of 6804 Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Does anyone have any good content they recommend checking out to really see this TV in action and first 4k etc TV? I have Amazon Prime but that's about the only current subscription I have to anything.
There is a fair amount of 4K/HDR content on Amazon Prime if you find the proper tabs. The current fifth season of Bosch looks stunning in 4K/HDR. The second season of this show was initially in Dolby Vision, but I'm not sure if it's still that way or if Amazon replaced it with an HDR encode.

The first season of Jack Ryan on Prime is in Dolby Vision and looks great.
post #6104 of 6804 Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
I don't have atmos but I will have my 5.1 setup soon enough. I have tried the Dolby app and it's nice but it's mostly all 2 minute clips showing off little scenes where as I'd like to find some TV series which I know Prime has a couple, or some movies to really enjoy and show it off. I've always been a Jean Claude Van Damme fan so I've been watching his Prime show that I didn't know existed but sadly it's only 1 season and probably not the best thing for trying to show off the TV.
As noted, Jack Ryan and the 2nd season of Bosch seem to be the only DV on Prime.

Netflix offers a free month trial. Why not take advantageous of that? Netflix has tons of DV programming. If you want to show off DV then Our Planet is stunning.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #6105 of 6804 Old 04-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
get a UHD player and get some UHD/DV content. nothing is better than that, streaming is nice and convenient, but, nothing right now can touch a good UHD player, period. make sure you have a "premium certified" HDMI cable and you set your hdmi port to 2.0. that will give you your best overall selection and quality of HDR/DV material.

of course as far as streaming goes, Netflix is next in line with DV content.
aaronwt likes this.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #6106 of 6804 Old 04-24-2019, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Prime Video has quite a good selection of Original programming in 4K HDR. But, if you are looking for a variety of HDR content outside of a paid subscription for testing and demo purposes check out THE HDR CHANNEL that is available on the YouTube app.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve...FNipzeAGBI5t9g

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)
post #6107 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 02:33 AM

Thanks for the advice guys I will dig around a bit more this weekend and see if I can use my buddies Netflix account possibly, but I thought I had heard you need to pay extra to stream anything in 4k from Netflix, am I mistaken about that? So far I have used the "Find 4k content" app on the Roku which seems to search for places to buy or rent movies or shows what I h ave access to which is how I found a couple shows on Prime but the selection did not look too big but maybe I will have to dig around within the Prime app itself and look around.
post #6108 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys I will dig around a bit more this weekend and see if I can use my buddies Netflix account possibly, but I thought I had heard you need to pay extra to stream anything in 4k from Netflix, am I mistaken about that? So far I have used the "Find 4k content" app on the Roku which seems to search for places to buy or rent movies or shows what I h ave access to which is how I found a couple shows on Prime but the selection did not look too big but maybe I will have to dig around within the Prime app itself and look around.
Starting for most customers in May the Netflix prices are:

Basic $9

HD (+2 devices at a time) $13

4k/HDR/DV (+4 devices) $16

Again, they offer a free one month trial. Use that to see if it's worth it to you and see what the tv can do.

AFAIK, there are only 2 programs in DV on Prime. There is a lot of HDR10 there.

As noted earlier, if you want the absolutely top quality you need to invest in a UHD player and discs. However, that adds a lot more cost than the extra $3 a month on Netflix.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #6109 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Yes, Netflix does require the user to pay extra to subscribe to their 4K tier offerings unlike Prime which includes 4K offerings for those who can stream them.
post #6110 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 08:16 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8965 Post(s)
Liked: 5742
Quote:
Starting for most customers in May the Netflix prices are:

Basic $9

HD (+2 devices at a time) $13

4k/HDR/DV (+4 devices) $16

Again, they offer a free one month trial. Use that to see if it's worth it to you and see what the tv can do.

AFAIK, there are only 2 programs in DV on Prime. There is a lot of HDR10 there.

As noted earlier, if you want the absolutely top quality you need to invest in a UHD player and discs. However, that adds a lot more cost than the extra $3 a month on Netflix.
Plus you can get Netflix gift cards from Ebay at a big discount. My $16 UHD tier only costs me a little over $8 out of pocket. My current Netflix balance will cover me into 2021for the UHD plan.

I do the same thing for Hulu commercial free. I get discounted gift cards to greatly reduce the cost

Sent from my Galaxy S10
solarrdadd and Tornado Red like this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6111 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Plus you can get Netflix gift cards from Ebay at a big discount. My $16 UHD tier only costs me a little over $8 out of pocket. My current Netflix balance will cover me into 2021for the UHD plan.

I do the same thing for Hulu commercial free. I get discounted gift cards to greatly reduce the cost

Sent from my Galaxy S10

Thanks for the gift card tip Aaron! Just ordered $100.00 of Netflix for $45.00 American.
post #6112 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Sent from my Galaxy S10
I would be extremely cautious buying these gift cards on eBay. Most were purchased with stolen credit cards and your Netflix account could be blocked when Netflix gets hit with chargebacks. Think about it. Where would someone be able to acquire Netflix cards at such a discount that they can afford to sell them for 50% off retail?

Here is a similar story about your Hulu gift cards. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu...ke-gift-cards/

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #6113 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would be extremely cautious buying these gift cards on eBay. Most were purchased with stolen credit cards and your Netflix account could be blocked when Netflix gets hit with chargebacks. Think about it. Where would someone be able to acquire Netflix cards at such a discount that they can afford to sell them for 50% off retail?

Here is a similar story about your Hulu gift cards. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu...ke-gift-cards/

I just tried this and now my Netflix blocked my ability to even try paying by gift card.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

post #6114 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

I've been using discounted Hulu gift cards for the last three years with no issues. I only started using gift cards for Netflix fairly recently. But I've had no issues with either one yet.

I also do the same thing with my Verizon prepaid refill cards. I've been using those for the last couple of years saving an average of 40% off my cellular bill. I've had no issues with those from eBay either.

I just make sure I am buying the discounted cards from a reputable eBay seller.

post #6115 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 04:13 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
I just tried this and now my Netflix blocked my ability to even try paying by gift card.

Did you try to redeem the gift cards back to back? I know with the ten or so Netflix gift cards I got, I needed to wait a few minutes between redemptions. Otherwise the netflix site had issues when you tried to redeem another one right away.

post #6116 of 6804 Old 04-25-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you try to redeem the gift cards back to back? I know with the ten or so Netflix gift cards I got, I needed to wait a few minutes between redemptions. Otherwise the netflix site had issues when you tried to redeem another one right away.

The first one I tried was apparently already used. I tried a few times to make sure I didn't type it wrong.

The seller sent me another codea few minutes later but by then Netflix was redirecting my attempts to click on using a promo code to an error page.

Tried several devices and every one same result.

post #6117 of 6804 Old 04-26-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 65
75R615 75"

1299.99 @BB

Now we're talking
aaronwt likes this.
post #6118 of 6804 Old 04-26-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
75R615 75"

1299.99 @BB

Now we're talking
Holy ****, I just bought mine on the 6th and I am elite so I am contacting them for refund of the difference. Thanks for the heads up.

edit: just got done doing an online chat and got my $200 refund. This price drop makes this TV even a better entry level 4K set.
aaronwt likes this.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

Last edited by Smigro; 04-26-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #6119 of 6804 Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey everyone. Im sorry to ask this question which has probabl been asked 1726 times.. But....

I'm looking at picking up this TV as Im selling my Vizio m701d i got about 5 years ago. I've done some research and decided to try it out, even based on the " Panel lottery " issue with the vertical banding.

I have 3 options

Walmart
Best buy
Amazon

I see the best buy is the 65r615 while the walmart and amazon are 65r617

Other than the remote, I read somewhere that amazon owners were getting alot of bad batches. Has there been a difference on model # or where you get the TV, or is it just random?

Lastly , in case I do get a bad panel, I would think it would be easiest to just return it to best buy/walmart instead of or dealing with tcl/amazon back and forth

Another point is the warranty

5 years at BB is $190
4 years at amazon is $99
Not sure on Walmarts warranty

Thank you everyone in advance
post #6120 of 6804 Old 04-28-2019, 12:52 PM

Just to be clear if my current receiver does not support HDMI ARC, is the only way for me to get surround sound and use my receiver with audio from the built in Roku apps be to use an optical cable from the TV to the receiver until I get a receiver that would support ARC?

Last edited by lunacies; 04-28-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page