TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3491Likes

post #6151 of 6797 Old 05-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought the 55” Version to replace a 14-year old Sony SXRD that finally failed. So far, this TV has exceeded my expectations in most respects. I needed one quickly, so I bought the BestBuy version and later bought the enhanced remote directly from TCL. We use over-the-air for network and stream Netflix, Amazon, PBS etc. Audio is a Denon AV receiver that supports ARC. The TCL does a very good job of up-scaling the HD from local channels. The soap opera effect was startling at first. I did find the color way too saturated and cut it down quite a bit.

I was surprised and pleased to find the OTA channel guide. However, I really dislike the automatic favorite channel feature. I want the ability to set my own favorites. My favorites keep changing, if I haven’t watched a channel for a week or so, it’s gone from the favorites and I have to search for it in the guide. I know that I can just turn favorites off completely but then my network locals are spread through about fifty plus sub channels so it’s a lot of scrolling to change networks. The remote does not provide for direct channel entry, so I can’t have favorites on my Logitech Harmony remote. This is partially mitigated by voice command function on the enhanced remote and by voice through Google Mini.

My other concern is with face color, it often does not seem right to me. I did love the color on the Sony and did not notice this problem on the SXRD. Could be just a personal perception or a result of the wider color gamut. For some reason, network commercials usually seem good for face tones, but the program material often looks like the have bad spray tans. I have spent a lot of time trying various combinations of setting and have settled on something that pretty much works for me but it’s not perfect. A professional calibration is out of my price range at the moment and would cost nearly as much as the TV itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6797 Old 05-04-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 859
On my Sony tv, I have tv->AVR via HDMI and other devices are plugged into receiver. The tv's menu lists all the other devices it discovers and I can switch HDMI inputs from the tv menu. Also powering on/off any of those will also control the tv.

On Roku tv's I'm assuming HDMI CEC works like this too? e.g if I select game console in Roku main menu it can switch the receiver input?
post #6153 of 6797 Old 05-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
On my Sony tv, I have tv->AVR via HDMI and other devices are plugged into receiver. The tv's menu lists all the other devices it discovers and I can switch HDMI inputs from the tv menu. Also powering on/off any of those will also control the tv.

On Roku tv's I'm assuming HDMI CEC works like this too? e.g if I select game console in Roku main menu it can switch the receiver input?
Mine is connected to my Denon AV receiver through HDMI - ARC. The TV found the receiver and identified its supported audio modes. The TV will turn the Denon on and off and change the volume using the TCL remote or voice commands. It also will power on/off the Sony BluRay player. I had to fool with the settings a bit.

Last edited by ee1993; 05-04-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6154 of 6797 Old 05-04-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee1993 View Post
Mine is connected to my Denon AV receiver through HDMI - ARC. The TV found the receiver and identified its supported audio modes. The TV will turn the Denon on and off and change the volume using the TCL remote or voice commands. It also will power on/off the Sony BluRay player. I had to fool with the settings a bit.
What about the other sources plugged into your Denon - e.g. lets say you want to switch between cable box and bluray? Can you do that from the Roku interface?
post #6155 of 6797 Old 05-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
What about the other sources plugged into your Denon - e.g. lets say you want to switch between cable box and bluray? Can you do that from the Roku interface?
I don't know. I don't run video through my Denon because it will not pass 4k. I use it like a soundbar.
post #6156 of 6797 Old 05-04-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Quote:
… For some reason, network commercials usually seem good for face tones, but the program material often looks like the have bad spray tans. ...
When you get good face tones on some TV content but not on other TV content it sounds as if content quality is the issue, i.e. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Big budget network commercials often have superior image quality, and the better the TV the more exaggerated the difference between the best and worst TV content.
post #6157 of 6797 Old 05-04-2019, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question. If I’m not using any custom 11 point settings or custom color settings. Should I just leave color space as auto? Or change it to native. ? Thanks in advance
post #6158 of 6797 Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan ocegueda View Post
Question. If I’m not using any custom 11 point settings or custom color settings. Should I just leave color space as auto? Or change it to native. ? Thanks in advance
Easy enough to try both ways and see which looks best to your eyes.
solarrdadd likes this.
post #6159 of 6797 Old 05-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Easy enough to try both ways and see which looks best to your eyes.

Maybe a better question would be,
What does this setting actually do?
When would it be better.. technically, to use each one?
My "eyes" or perception of PQ can change over time. One day something "seems" to be better. The next day , maybe not so much.
So what specifically do these setting do. It would seem that "Auto" should be pretty self explanatory. The TV makes decisions... based on what?
The source material I would guess. Is there a flag in sources that trigger the Auto to make good decisions?
Native, ok what does that do? It sure would seem that it still would try to detect the source color space and configure it accordingly.
So this appears to be quite similar from the functionality side.

So technically (no eyes involved) which is "better" or should be, and why? What are the limitations of the system in this regard?
I have an idea this is what the OP was looking for.

THX

Last edited by ppasteur; 05-05-2019 at 07:46 PM.
post #6160 of 6797 Old 05-05-2019, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 534
If you're doing is without equipment --its all subjective. There are standards and with equipment you can attempt to comply with the standards and get n image close to what was created by the producers of the content. If you do not have access or the inclination to do that it comes down to what you like. I recall someone here wanted the set to look much more blue - accurate- no way, but it was his preference from watching a maladjusted set for many years.

So, make notes of your settings and try some others. Many setting have been posted, but as each set is different none will be spot on for your set. Find one that feels right to you and live with for a while, tweak it if necessary,
post #6161 of 6797 Old 05-06-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do you have to remove the plastic from back of tv or can it be left on? Does the back get hot?
post #6162 of 6797 Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Do you have to remove the plastic from back of tv or can it be left on? Does the back get hot?
Just removed it on mine last night... dang it's actually kinda hard! It pulled enough to pull my mount over to the side, gotta be somewhat careful.

I figure since FALD TVs do heat up across the entire rear (backlights are all over), there might be some small heat dissipation advantage to removing it, possibly maybe extending the life of the backlights by some tiny bit. Plus there's really no downside, as who's gonna care if the back of a huge TV gets scratched?
post #6163 of 6797 Old 05-06-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Anybody else having this issue w/ Apple TV 4K?:

Certain apps are struggling when switching frame rate\dynamic range.

When opening a video on certain apps such as Bravo or HBO the video turns black and I can only hear audio.

When I return to the main screen (4K/Dolby Vision) the screen goes back to normal.

The only temporary fix is to disengage the 'switch frame rate\dynamic range' function in settings to 'OFF'--- which I hate as I like my movies at 24hz.

Is this a new bug with 9.0?

Cheers!
Umlaut56 likes this.
post #6164 of 6797 Old 05-06-2019, 01:03 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8960 Post(s)
Liked: 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlabonte View Post
Anybody else having this issue w/ Apple TV 4K?:

Certain apps are struggling when switching frame rate\dynamic range.

When opening a video on certain apps such as Bravo or HBO the video turns black and I can only hear audio.

When I return to the main screen (4K/Dolby Vision) the screen goes back to normal.

The only temporary fix is to disengage the 'switch frame rate\dynamic range' function in settings to 'OFF'--- which I hate as I like my movies at 24hz.

Is this a new bug with 9.0?

Cheers!
I had issues with my ATV 4K, OS9 and my Onkyo receiver. They rolled me back to OS8. But the last I heard they did not have a fix yet for my issues.

But mine were associated with going through my Onkyo receiver. When the ATV 4K was connected directly to my TCL it behaved fine. But then it made no sense for me to hook it up that way since you cant get Atmos or more than 2.0 pcm from the ATV 4k. Or you had to switch the ATV 4k to legacy DD. Which for me was a no go. Since the entire reason I got the ATV 4k was for Atmos audio or multi channel pcm. And the ATV 4K uses Dolby MAT which you need eARC. And the TCL only has ARC.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6165 of 6797 Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan ocegueda View Post
This is a subjective one that only your eyes can decide. However, I have found every time that I revisit this setting on different source material that I eventually end up leaving the setting on AUTO. NATIVE seems to push too much red into skin tones for my liking.
ppasteur likes this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)
post #6166 of 6797 Old 05-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Some notes on the TCL Roku interface for Over-The-Air viewers, pro and con.
I believe that, for major network HD content, OTA is better that cable or, especially better than satellite (due to the lossy compression) so long as you have a good signal.

The OTA guide is a nice feature and acts much like the guide on a cable box. Note that the guide only displays program information for your local stations (DMA) based on the zip code you provided. If, like me, you can receive from two on more markets, the out of area stations will show up in the guide but without program information. The remote does not have number keys for direct channel entry, but you can use voice commands on the enhanced remote (example: “change to channel 12 dot 1”). You can select from the guide or use the up and down keys.
For some reason, the enhanced remote does not have a mute button, but the BestBuy IR remote does. The favorite channel feature is frustrating as you can not set favorites, they are chosen for you based on viewing and can change weekly. Stations keep moving from favorites back to the numerical position in the guide and then back.

There is no Add Channels option on the scan function. Each scan erases the older and starts over. This may be an issue for rural viewers with an antenna rotator needed to point the antenna at different stations.
post #6167 of 6797 Old 05-06-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone dealt with Best Buy geek squad protection for TV image getting white/cloudy in certain spots? I bought the 65R617 from BB last summer, and while it originally did have a tiny section with dirty/ghosting cloudiness in upper left area, it has now spread and dark scenes are almost unbearable. I have 2 years for GS protection. Should I call in or is it a waste of time?

This isn't my tv but it pretty much looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clouding.gif
Views:	68
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	2563290  
post #6168 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
For some reason, the enhanced remote does not have a mute button, but the BestBuy IR remote does.
My enhanced remote has a mute button. It's right below the up/down volume buttons.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #6169 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 10:13 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8960 Post(s)
Liked: 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
My enhanced remote has a mute button. It's right below the up/down volume buttons.
The RF remote from Roku I have does not have mute button. But I knew that before I ordered it. The TCL RF remote does have a mute button.

EDIT: Hmm.. I see that ROku now has the Roku TV RF remote on their site for $30. It should have a mute button as well. I did not see that option last year when I got my RF remote from Roku.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6170 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktheground View Post
Has anyone dealt with Best Buy geek squad protection for TV image getting white/cloudy in certain spots? I bought the 65R617 from BB last summer, and while it originally did have a tiny section with dirty/ghosting cloudiness in upper left area, it has now spread and dark scenes are almost unbearable. I have 2 years for GS protection. Should I call in or is it a waste of time?

This isn't my tv but it pretty much looks like this:
Do you have your local dimming set to max?? I ask because when I first bought my 75R615 I had the same issue until someone guided me to look at my local dimming setting where I found that it was set to off and not max. Mine still had clouding issues so I returned mine for another, and another and another. I am now on my 4th 75R615 and I am about to call it quits with all the screen issues I am running into.

If you want background on my issues check out the dedicated 75" 6 series thread.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #6171 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well a handful of 4k discs showed up. Now just a few more days until the TV is here!

Oppo UDP-205 | Parasound P6 Preamp | Parasound NewClassic 2250 v.2 Amp
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL tweeters
TCL 65R617
Panasonic VIERA 50" Plasma (retired)
post #6172 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
My original IR only remote that came with the TV from BestBuy does have a mute button, but the enhanced (RF, headphone audio, and voice control) does not have a mute button. Both have additional useless buttons.

Last edited by ee1993; 05-07-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #6173 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Do you have your local dimming set to max?? I ask because when I first bought my 75R615 I had the same issue until someone guided me to look at my local dimming setting where I found that it was set to off and not max. Mine still had clouding issues so I returned mine for another, and another and another. I am now on my 4th 75R615 and I am about to call it quits with all the screen issues I am running into.

If you want background on my issues check out the dedicated 75" 6 series thread.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely read your thread. I don't think local dimming is on max but I set it with rtings settings. Did you do returns through Geek Squad? I'm curious as to what they'd say and don't want to hassle with scheduling a tech and waiting for them just for them to tell me this issue isn't covered.
post #6174 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktheground View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely read your thread. I don't think local dimming is on max but I set it with rtings settings. Did you do returns through Geek Squad? I'm curious as to what they'd say and don't want to hassle with scheduling a tech and waiting for them just for them to tell me this issue isn't covered.
The wording can be misleading, in the settings post they said to do their calibration they turned it off as to not affect the results but they said during normal viewing local dimming should always be on max. I am sure once you put it on max that blotchiness will go away.
breaktheground likes this.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #6175 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Audio output goes silent when selecting DD+, DTS

Has anyone else had issues with the audio output of this TV going silent when choosing DD+ from the audio menu?

I have an HW-N950 soundbar that supports DD+. The TV properly detects that this soundbar supports DD+ via ARC but when I select DD+ (via the auto-detect or directly) the audio goes silent (even the menu clicks stop making any sound). I am desperately trying to get TCL support to even understand what I am talking about but they keep giving me nonsense like this:

"Thank you for the response. We understand that you want the TV to work with while the Dolby Digital+, DTS is enabled. Please note that with this set up the TV will only outsource audio when a source or program supports Dolby Atmos. Thank you for choosing TCL!"

I have posted this issue in the soundbar forum and on the roku forum but no one seems to have any suggestions.

I have tried 2 replacement TV's and 2 replacement soundbars and numerous HDMI cables.

There appears to be a compatibility issue between TCL Roku TV's and this soundbar. I am having a hard time believing I am the only one that has a TCL 6-series connected to a Samsung HW-N950 but maybe so...really hoping to find at least one person that can confirm they are having the same issue (or not).
post #6176 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
If you're doing is without equipment --its all subjective. There are standards and with equipment you can attempt to comply with the standards and get n image close to what was created by the producers of the content. If you do not have access or the inclination to do that it comes down to what you like. I recall someone here wanted the set to look much more blue - accurate- no way, but it was his preference from watching a maladjusted set for many years.

So, make notes of your settings and try some others. Many setting have been posted, but as each set is different none will be spot on for your set. Find one that feels right to you and live with for a while, tweak it if necessary,

OK, but that does not answer the question that the OP asked... at least not how I understand it.. and wanting to know the answer myself.
Knowing what the settings actually do would help with that.
Color space "Auto" and/or Native" Not what my eyes see, but what is the TV doing?
post #6177 of 6797 Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
OK, but that does not answer the question that the OP asked... at least not how I understand it.. and wanting to know the answer myself.
Knowing what the settings actually do would help with that.
Color space "Auto" and/or Native" Not what my eyes see, but what is the TV doing?
Found the answer here - https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...tvs_heres_how/

I've decided to quote it here as well -

PSA: TCL TV's and Possibly All Roku TV's Here's How to Set TV to either RGB Limited or RGB Full
If you want to change what RGB Range the TV uses, you have to use the Expert Picture Settings option in the Roku app on your phone or other android or ioS device. Scroll down in Expert Picture Settings until you see Color Space option. On my TCL 55S405 it Color Space defaults to Native. The options in the drop-down are Native, Auto, and Custom.

The big take away here is that Auto is RGB Limited and Native is RGB Full. If you want the basis for this statement you may read on below and check the links provided.

The Auto setting in the color space drop-down sets the TV to Rec 709 Color Space which is RGB Limited, i.e. Rec 709 is 16 - 235 scale for black @ 16 up to white @ 235 including "blacker than black" below 16 and "whiter than white" above 235.

The Native setting in the color space drop-down sets up 0 - 255, 0 for black and 255 for white which is RGB Full range.

Here's a link from Roku showing how to navigate Expert Picture Settings from the Roku app for any Roku TV; the table showing color space (i.e. RGB Range) is half way down the page:

https://support.roku.com/article/217...-your-roku-tv-

Here's the link that shows Rec 709 is the de facto standard that most content is mastered in, and equates Rec. 709 to RGB Limited (16 - 235) (Rec. 709 details are about 1/3 down the page):

https://www.richardlackey.com/choosi...o-color-space/

TL;DR -- Your Roku TV may not default to RGB Limited, might want to access Expert Picture Settings in Roku app with TV on and make sure color space is set to Auto. Auto is Rec 709 color space which is RGB Limited. Alternatively, you might want to set TV's color space to Native which sets TV to RGB Full. This may only work on with TCL S405 series Roku TV, or it work might on all Roku TV's--I don't know.

2nd TL;DR -- main intent of this PSA is if your Roku TV is set to Native color space it might be defaulting to RGB Full and if you have followed the common advice to set the PS4 to RGB Limited because "all TV's are RGB Limited" then you just might have an RGB mismatch going on until you go into Roku app and set color space to Auto (i.e. Rec 709 which is RGB Limited)
post #6178 of 6797 Old 05-08-2019, 02:02 PM

I found that Auto give me better face tones on OTA.
post #6179 of 6797 Old 05-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Found the answer here - https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...tvs_heres_how/

I've decided to quote it here as well -
If anyone read the comments at that link, read all of them. Several comments on his original post debunk what he wrote. The only real good part was the link he gave to the Roku instructions for using the EPS.
Looking at that it would appear that the "best" setting is Auto. It leaves rec 709 SDR alone and maps HDR to the panel's color space.
Color Space:

From this, Auto is what I want. I need to check that as some said it defaults to Native. I really do not want the TV to do any tone mapping from SDR to HDR. Th fact that the Auto setting for HDR takes into consideration the capabilities of the panel also seems like the better choice. I will check to see what kind of visual differences there are, but I believe I will leave this setting on Auto.
aaronwt and giomania like this.
post #6180 of 6797 Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Has anyone had any luck getting any Atmos out of NF yet? I have not had time to track down a decent contact at TCL, might give it a try tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page