TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3502Likes

post #6301 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
I watched Suspiria UHD on Amazon, but switched to the regular HD version part way through. The implementation of Dolby Vision is atrocious, rendering the film unwatchable. Some one completely screwed up this title in my opinion, because the color grading on the HD version is nowhere near that dark. It's not your set.

I don't think my set (TCL 65R615) is having the problems you describe with Netflix or Vudu, but I'll check the next time I watch.

HDR at this point in time is more trouble than it's worth, IMO. Instead of just being absorbed in a movie, I'm switching back and forth between versions (something Amazon doesn't make easy), checking the settings on my set, going into modes I haven't used (Medium Dolby Vision), then realizing I'm getting SOE because this setting has never been used by me, completely distracted because I don't know if my set is misbehaving, or Amazon has screwed up. I finally gave up worrying about it, switched back to the HD version for the 2nd time, and just watched the rest of the movie, which was stupid, so that didn't help my mood, either. If these streaming companies want me to watch their content, they need to get this stuff straight. HDR has been around long enough to not have these stupid bugs. How many people have returned sets because of bad HDR implementation on Amazon or Netflix? Enough.
i'd never watched this feature before, but, i did as a result of this and other posts about it.
as i mentioned, i have two TCL DV tv's (both 9.0.0 OS) and both are set to:

tv brightness - Dark
picture mode - DV/Dark

for non DV/HDR the picture mode is - Movie

i will admit, in some scenes, it was dark, but, honestly, to me, it appeared it was intended for the mood. the picture looked great to me, i saw plenty of bright scenes as well as some medium bright/dark scenes and plenty of dark scenes. the colors were very nice and stood out when needed. oh yeah, the ATMOS was nice at some points.

i will also say that the first say, 10 or so minutes, the opening and the Dr.'s office scenes, they were very dark, so, i'll give you that, but to me not unwatchable. i felt it was to give the climate of what the patient was going through and that the Dr. didn't have the office very well lit to help sooth the patients and keep them calm. also it was not a modern contemporary setting of today, it was old world setting so, lighting and power were different in those days especially. still, i enjoyed it and i was immediately put in a mood of desperation and loneliness that the patient was experiencing.

mind you, i watched about 30 minutes of it, but, i really didn't see anything wrong with it on either tv. having said that, i will say, because of the size, better tech and increased number of FALD zones, it looked better on the 65" 6 series than the 55" P series.

i have no doubt that it looked dark, possibly too dark for some, but, with my eyes, on my two DV tv's it looked great.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
i'd never watched this feature before, but, i did as a result of this and other posts about it.
as i mentioned, i have two TCL DV tv's (both 9.0.0 OS) and both are set to:

tv brightness - Dark
picture mode - DV/Dark

for non DV/HDR the picture mode is - Movie

i will admit, in some scenes, it was dark, but, honestly, to me, it appeared it was intended for the mood. the picture looked great to me, i saw plenty of bright scenes as well as some medium bright/dark scenes and plenty of dark scenes. the colors were very nice and stood out when needed. oh yeah, the ATMOS was nice at some points.

i will also say that the first say, 10 or so minutes, the opening and the Dr.'s office scenes, they were very dark, so, i'll give you that, but to me not unwatchable. i felt it was to give the climate of what the patient was going through and that the Dr. didn't have the office very well lit to help sooth the patients and keep them calm. also it was not a modern contemporary setting of today, it was old world setting so, lighting and power were different in those days especially. still, i enjoyed it and i was immediately put in a mood of desperation and loneliness that the patient was experiencing.

mind you, i watched about 30 minutes of it, but, i really didn't see anything wrong with it on either tv. having said that, i will say, because of the size, better tech and increased number of FALD zones, it looked better on the 65" 6 series than the 55" P series.

i have no doubt that it looked dark, possibly too dark for some, but, with my eyes, on my two DV tv's it looked great.
Try comparing it to the non-Dolby Vision HD version. The color grading is completely different. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you.
post #6303 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try comparing it to the non-Dolby Vision HD version. The color grading is completely different. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you.
oh you don't have to tell me anything. i did watch the non HDR version and yes, it's very different and it's much brighter in many scenes. i only said, to me, the DV version wasn't as dark as it's been described by others to me. i've also see other movies that were given the HDR/DV treatment and many times, those versions look different to very different too. i'm not saying you or anyone else isn't right as we see what we see. i'm saying to me, it's not horrible or terrible. and i was speaking only for me, not you or anyone else.

i can appreciate that you see it as too dark or "unwatchable" and i respected your opinion and description of what you saw; sorry you couldn't respect mine.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6304 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
oh you don't have to tell me anything. i did watch the non HDR version and yes, it's very different and it's much brighter in many scenes. i only said, to me, the DV version wasn't as dark as it's been described by others to me. i've also see other movies that were given the HDR/DV treatment and many times, those versions look different to very different too. i'm not saying you or anyone else isn't right as we see what we see. i'm saying to me, it's not horrible or terrible. and i was speaking only for me, not you or anyone else.

i can appreciate that you see it as too dark or "unwatchable" and i respected your opinion and description of what you saw; sorry you couldn't respect mine.
You completely contradicted my opinion and description. How is that 'respecting' it? Never mind--I've said what I had to say. You can have the last word.
post #6305 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You completely contradicted my opinion and description. How is that 'respecting' it? Never mind--I've said what I had to say. You can have the last word.
ok, i don't claim to be the authority on what is right for everyone. after reading your post and another users post about the show, i decided to check it out for myself to see what i saw. i was aware that for some, the update to 9.0.0 OS caused issues when watching DV; i wanted to see if this was one of those cases as i didn't seem to be in the affected group. i posted what i saw, never said you or the other user were wrong. i'd like to think we live in a world where it's ok to literally see things differently without a battle. i never said you were wrong with what you saw, i simply said, that's not what i saw.

irony here, if nobody ever posted about that show and what they saw as video issues, i would have never watched it or posted about it. i knew of the show but never watched it; wasn't interested in it until i read a couple of posts in this forum.

i've not been disrespectful to you about your post, i never said anything directed "at you" personally, i did quote you so folks understood why i was posting about that movie. i also don't state that if people see/saw the movie differently than what i saw that they were wrong or disrespectful to me or to my opinion. again, i'm sorry you feel you have been disrespected. and that's my last word on this.

i am sorry to the other users of the forum, i don't want to take over this thread about this.

Last edited by solarrdadd; 05-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #6306 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Good... Some people have the problem and some don't or they don't know how to look for it and they are better off not knowing.

I am VERY tempted to get the 55.... But if you want to see an example of exactly what I'm talking about watch this Vid and it's at 4:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-tiE1yECCg
I do not think that set has bad vertical banding. There are youtube videos with really bad vertical banding. Mine has very limited vertical banding but only on white screens. Less than the example in the video. It does have some light blooming in the corners at times. This is a very good TV and I think people are overly picky and critical of the 6 series.
post #6307 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see my 6 series updated to OS 9.1.0 build 4085-30 the other day. I hadn't checked the ROku forums in awhile and I had a week old message from the ROku support person I had been working with. Asking me to update to OS9 again to see if the issues were fixed. But it had updated on it's own thirty hours ago without me realizing it. And everything has been working without any issues. The ATV 4K is sending DV properly. And I see the DV is working from my Xbox too. And I'm not having any audio issues from my VTEN or Netgear streamers either. I would have never known it had updated if I hadn't checked the system info screen.
So I am very pleased.

Now I can log into all my apps again and re-enter the calibration info. I didn't want to go through all of that in case I needed to reset the TV again. So I left it on many of it's defaults and had only logged into a few apps for testing.
there really seems to be no rhyme or reason to how the OS updates get rolled out. my 6 series is still on 9.0.0 i'm wondering why they simply don't get pushed to all of them at the same time. perhaps it's that they don't want to crash the servers? i didn't thing the update was that big and the likely good of all of us rushing to do it is very slim.

too bad in a later post you responded that the Netflix/ATMOS thing is still not working properly. i wonder when will either Netflix or Roku/TCL speak up as to what exactly is going on. i'm still not seeing anyone post on this forum that it's working for them. i'm hoping it's soon that this gets resolved since Netflix claims to have released the version app that supports ATMOS on select TCL/Roku tv's.

post #6308 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Respecting, as in believing that you are entitled to it and understanding the perception is a highly personal thing, does not mean that someone has to agree.

I understand that for your eyes, on you display, with your settings, in your room, you feel that you have described things as you see them. I respect that.
I Just have had a different experience. I hope that you can respect that without getting your feelings hurt and reacting poorly.
I am not the OP, but those are my thoughts.
post #6309 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 03:52 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8985 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
I watched Suspiria UHD on Amazon, but switched to the regular HD version part way through. The implementation of Dolby Vision is atrocious, rendering the film unwatchable. Some one completely screwed up this title in my opinion, because the color grading on the HD version is nowhere near that dark. It's not your set.

I don't think my set (TCL 65R615) is having the problems you describe with Netflix or Vudu, but I'll check the next time I watch.

HDR at this point in time is more trouble than it's worth, IMO. Instead of just being absorbed in a movie, I'm switching back and forth between versions (something Amazon doesn't make easy), checking the settings on my set, going into modes I haven't used (Medium Dolby Vision), then realizing I'm getting SOE because this setting has never been used by me, completely distracted because I don't know if my set is misbehaving, or Amazon has screwed up. I finally gave up worrying about it, switched back to the HD version for the 2nd time, and just watched the rest of the movie, which was stupid, so that didn't help my mood, either. If these streaming companies want me to watch their content, they need to get this stuff straight. HDR has been around long enough to not have these stupid bugs. How many people have returned sets because of bad HDR implementation on Amazon or Netflix? Enough.
I'm not having any of those issues with HDR. I've had this set since September. And have been watching HDR content since late 2015 with a Sony.

Although I have not watched that particular title on Amazon. But I have watched many, many other titles on the streaming services as well as several hundred UHD BD titles.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB)

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6310 of 6838 Old 05-25-2019, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 36
ok ive had my set for a few hours and i like it. no issues except calibration settings
i used rtings
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...-2018/settings

for some reason, the cinema option when set to off (going by rtings), and using arc on my denon avr, reverts back to on.

i have to keep setting it to off again.

also, using roku app i set color space to auto. rtings doesnt mention whether to set that to auto or native. im not using custom because im not messing with it.

last thing, when watching hdr or dolby vision, rtings says"

"For HDR content, the TV will change picture mode to match the type of HDR content (Dolby Vision or HDR10) by itself, but if you want to be sure you have the best setting, just verify that the TV brightness is set to the Brighter setting, that the Backlight is set to maximum and Local contrast is set to High.

tv brightness remains on normal, not brighter like rtings says it should be.
any ideas?

so far compared to my vizio p quantum, the quantum is a tad brighter and maybe tad bit more detailed picture. but not by much. sdr content im not sure i can tell a difference yet, but i think the tcl might upscale little better.

Last edited by mariogonzalezzz; 05-25-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #6311 of 6838 Old 05-26-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Purchased the 55in and I'm very pleased with this set for the price. Started re-watching some of my 4K titles from Vudu and the picture is nice and bright for Dolby Vision. My only regret is that I didn't get the 65. The Wandering Earth on Netflix is pure eye candy.
aaronwt and solarrdadd like this.
post #6312 of 6838 Old 05-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
ok ive had my set for a few hours and i like it. no issues except calibration settings
i used rtings
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...-2018/settings

for some reason, the cinema option when set to off (going by rtings), and using arc on my denon avr, reverts back to on.

i have to keep setting it to off again.

also, using roku app i set color space to auto. rtings doesnt mention whether to set that to auto or native. im not using custom because im not messing with it.

last thing, when watching hdr or dolby vision, rtings says"

"For HDR content, the TV will change picture mode to match the type of HDR content (Dolby Vision or HDR10) by itself, but if you want to be sure you have the best setting, just verify that the TV brightness is set to the Brighter setting, that the Backlight is set to maximum and Local contrast is set to High.

tv brightness remains on normal, not brighter like rtings says it should be.
any ideas?

so far compared to my vizio p quantum, the quantum is a tad brighter and maybe tad bit more detailed picture. but not by much. sdr content im not sure i can tell a difference yet, but i think the tcl might upscale little better.
You only have to change your HDR DV settings 1 time. The TCL remembers your settings.

post #6313 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post
Speaking of streaming.. when I'm in the Roku part of the tv, my receiver automatically switches to TV as it's input. ( Onkyo 686 ) it always seems like I have to crank the volume to get it to a descent listening volume . ( Around 65-70 ) maybe it's a settings app in Roku I need to change or maybe it's my receiver.. my tv and receiver I just got 4 days ago , so I'm still pretty green on all the setup stuff
I have the Onkyo 676 which is pretty much identical to the 686. You should go into the setup on Onkyo then find the Intellivolume section and set it to +10dB for TV input.
post #6314 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I have the Onkyo 676 which is pretty much identical to the 686. You should go into the setup on Onkyo then find the Intellivolume section and set it to +10dB for TV input.

I have the 787, I'll have to see if it offers that as well.

It's a bit annoying have to crank up the volume for Youtube (mid to high 60s), then lower it for Pandora (high 30s to mid 40s).

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
post #6315 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I started using my Denon AV receiver as the default audio all the time. The TV displayed volume scale changed from when using the internal speakers. Now the scale matches the scale of the receiver and I usually listen at 60 to 65. Changing volume with the TV remote changes the displayed volume on the AV receiver as well. Also, if I change volume on the receiver using its front panel knob or the receiver's remote, the TV displays the same number while the volume is adjusted. This confirms 2-way communications between the receiver and the TV over the HDMI- ARC.
post #6316 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam View Post
I have the 787, I'll have to see if it offers that as well.

It's a bit annoying have to crank up the volume for Youtube (mid to high 60s), then lower it for Pandora (high 30s to mid 40s).
I agree, this is one are in which Denon is better - they have Dynamic Volume and EQ.

Its quite funny, my ~10 year old Onkyo 609 has Audyssey and sounds just as good, and you don't need to crank up volume to 80% either. Onkyo decided to cut costs in their new models.
post #6317 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee1993 View Post
I started using my Denon AV receiver as the default audio all the time. The TV displayed volume scale changed from when using the internal speakers. Now the scale matches the scale of the receiver and I usually listen at 60 to 65. Changing volume with the TV remote changes the displayed volume on the AV receiver as well. Also, if I change volume on the receiver using its front panel knob or the receiver's remote, the TV displays the same number while the volume is adjusted. This confirms 2-way communications between the receiver and the TV over the HDMI- ARC.
Yes, ARC is great! I have 2 weird problems though -

- sometimes the tv will forget that there's an ARC connection. there is no sound at all even though the receiver is turned on when I turn tv on, but using the Roku remot doesn't change volume. But when I use the receiver remote to change volume, it reestablishes the link and from that point it works as expected with either remote.

- the OSD on tv will switch from being shown in top right to middle, and everything is smaller, as if it thinks I have a screen half the size.
post #6318 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, ARC is great! I have 2 weird problems though -

- sometimes the tv will forget that there's an ARC connection. there is no sound at all even though the receiver is turned on when I turn tv on, but using the Roku remot doesn't change volume. But when I use the receiver remote to change volume, it reestablishes the link and from that point it works as expected with either remote.

- the OSD on tv will switch from being shown in top right to middle, and everything is smaller, as if it thinks I have a screen half the size.
Sorry the hear that. I have not experienced either of those issues. The TV also controls the power on the AV receiver. I can say to smart speaker "Hey Google, turn on the TV" and both the TV and AV receiver power up.
post #6319 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry the hear that. I have not experienced either of those issues. The TV also controls the power on the AV receiver. I can say to smart speaker "Hey Google, turn on the TV" and both the TV and AV receiver power up.
Really? I have a Google home mini, I didn't know TCL tv could do this. How did you link it?
post #6320 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Really? I have a Google home mini, I didn't know TCL tv could do this. How did you link it?
Install the Google Home app on your phone. While connected to you home WiFi, add the TCL TV as a device. After that, your phone does not need to be on for this to work. I can also say "Open Netflix" or "Change the channel to two dot one" or "Change to NBC", but I use over-the-air. Your cable box may not be compatible.

Fast TV Start must be enabled on your Roku TV to use the Google Assistant to turn on your TV screen.

https://support.roku.com/article/360...gle-assistant-

Last edited by ee1993; 05-27-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #6321 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Install the Google Home app on your phone. While connected to you home WiFi, add the TCL TV as a device. After that, your phone does not need to be on for this to work. I can also say "Open Netflix" or "Change the channel to two dot one" or "Change to NBC", but I use over-the-air. Your cable box may not be compatible.

Fast TV Start must be enabled on your Roku TV to use the Google Assistant to turn on your TV screen.

https://support.roku.com/article/360...gle-assistant-
Thanks, I just did this! I was trying to add the tv by searching before I saw your edit - the link says to use 'already set up', thats the only way to add a tv.

One thing I noticed is you don't have to say 'pause on Roku', 'rewind on Roku' etc, if I say 'ok google pause' that's enough! Very handy when e.g. a phone call comes in etc.

Also if you enable 'continued conversation' then its even better as it keeps listening - e.g I can say 'ok google rewind' - tv starts rewinding, then I say 'play' and it resumes.

IMO this should really be part of tv setup or advertised better.
post #6322 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix via Xbox

I just played the TCL lottery tonight picking up the 6 series on sale at BB. Got it hooked up, and tested it with most of the inputs we used for shows, movies and xbox gaming; and so far so good. I ran a test video on youtube and noticed the slight darkening in the corners as well as some very very faint (my son couldn't see it, so I'm not sure if I was really seeing it or not) small splotches on a complete light background, but nothing to warrant returning it.

My question is in regards to watching Netflix through the Xbox one. I didn't see it mentioned in this thread that I could find, but the picture is quite washed out. We noticed right away that the Neflix logo was orange, rather than red. It looks fine running it from the Netflix app on the TV itself. Has anyone else run into this and figured out how to fix it? No big deal to just use it via the TV, but thought I'd ask.
post #6323 of 6838 Old 05-27-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
HDR Problem

Anybody know what this is? I only notice it on skin tones in certain lighting conditions. As you can see in the picture it is usually a greenish line where a dark area meets a lighter area. It is really only present on HDR Dark and a bit on HDR Normal. I don't notice it on HDR Bright or Dolby Vision. I would just use HDR Bright but it doesn't look very good. Some movies it isn't really an issue but it is really noticeable on others. Mad Max: Fury Road was one I remember it being bad on. I have tried to find an answer and all I could find was maybe it is dithering but I have no idea what that really is. It is making me think that digital Dolby Vision movies might be better than HDR 4k Blu-rays on this TV (if this problem isn't fixable) as I don't care about sound quality and I've found them to be pretty close picture wise.

If you want to see on your own TV I got this picture from this video at 0:41

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Problem.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2572588  
post #6324 of 6838 Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I just did this! I was trying to add the tv by searching before I saw your edit - the link says to use 'already set up', thats the only way to add a tv.

One thing I noticed is you don't have to say 'pause on Roku', 'rewind on Roku' etc, if I say 'ok google pause' that's enough! Very handy when e.g. a phone call comes in etc.

Also if you enable 'continued conversation' then its even better as it keeps listening - e.g I can say 'ok google rewind' - tv starts rewinding, then I say 'play' and it resumes.

IMO this should really be part of tv setup or advertised better.
I forgot to add that you can rename Roku to TV or anything you want. You can also start Pandora and keep the screen off. See the link. Sorry, Starting Pandora by voice actually only works from the microphone on the remote. Google will want you to be using Chromcast for streaming.

Last edited by ee1993; 05-28-2019 at 06:15 AM.
post #6325 of 6838 Old 05-29-2019, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm starting to have second thoughts on watching shows in HDR and DV on Amazon and Netflix.
Most shows do not look that much better than on normal viewing and are often much darker.
A couple of hours watching UHD really drives my internet usage through the roof.
I enjoy the occasional you tube video in HDR but that only lasts a few minutes.
I do agree that some rare shows do look better in HDR and DV, but they are few and far between.
The last few nights I was watching "What if" and "chambers" on Netflix, and they are both in DV.
I also watched them in normal 1080 non DV, and they look fine as well. There is a massive internet usage difference between normal viewing and DV.
post #6326 of 6838 Old 05-29-2019, 05:58 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8985 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I'm starting to have second thoughts on watching shows in HDR and DV on Amazon and Netflix.

Most shows do not look that much better than on normal viewing and are often much darker.

A couple of hours watching UHD really drives my internet usage through the roof.

I enjoy the occasional you tube video in HDR but that only lasts a few minutes.

I do agree that some rare shows do look better in HDR and DV, but they are few and far between.

The last few nights I was watching "What if" and "chambers" on Netflix, and they are both in DV.

I also watched them in normal 1080 non DV, and they look fine as well. There is a massive internet usage difference between normal viewing and DV.
It's just the opposite. Out of the many hundreds of hours of HDR content I've watched since 2015, it's extremely rare for the SDR version to look better or brighter. If your TV is setup right, SDR should only be around 100 nits. HDR content can have highlights many times brighter than that. And HDR also looks better in Darker scenes, especially with the FALD the TCL has.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6327 of 6838 Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 AM

My 65R615 is hooked up to a Harman Kardon 2600 AVR via optical. As such, I've long been resigned to the limitations of it until the time comes to get a more current AVR.

So, I was surprised last night while using the Roku Plex app to see the AVR display indicate DTS. I didn't think that was possible with optical, or is it?

It only does this with regular DTS, DTS-HD gets displayed as Dolby Digital.

Movie in question is the new Criterion Collection of Blue Velvet, which I ran through MakeMKV, and tossed into my Plex library.

I thought optical didn't pass DTS, but here it is, and only on the Roku app, not with my Apple TV 4K using either Plex or Infuse. Anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Apparently lots of TVs can pass DTS 5.1 over an optical cable. This was news to me as I was used to everything being converted down to Dolby Digital 5.1. Now if only the Apple TV could do it, as I hardly ever use the Roku apps.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inpu...io-passthrough

Last edited by Bill Wolfer; 05-30-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #6328 of 6838 Old 05-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Seems like some people are able to get Roku 9.1 on their TCL TVs. Anyone notice any difference in HDR implementation on Netflix, Prime and Vudu compared to Roku 9.0?
post #6329 of 6838 Old 05-30-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My 65R617 bit the dust, thanks to one of my kids' plastic toys being launched full force at the screen. Anyone know when the 2019 6 series will be rolling out?
post #6330 of 6838 Old 05-31-2019, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Ouch! From what I've read there is no 2019 model 6, just a continuation of the current series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page