TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3701Likes

post #6451 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Has anyone had to buy a replacement remote WITH HEADPHONE JACK or contact TCL for replacement? I’m hearing impaired (which so many make jokes about or treat it as insignificant but minor things to some are important to us) and the headphone jack is a must for me. Can’t locate one so I contacted Roku and their response was that the remotes they sell are not compatible with TVs. TIA
If you have a smartphone, download the Roku app and use your smartphone. There is a setting in the app where it will cast the audio to the phone and output it through your headphones (or the smartphone speakers, but why would anyone do that)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) View Post
As far as I know the 2018 and 2019 65R615/617 are the same.

OK, thanks!

I'm currently torn between the 55" and 65" model.
the thing is most of my content as in 95% of it is 1080p, and I'm worried that 1080p being upscaled to 4k will deliver a worse picture vs 1080p being displayed on a 1080p native set
Which is why I was thinking maybe it's a better idea to go with the 55"

I currently sit about 12 feet away from 60" Panasonic S60 plasma for movies, and certain video game geners. They say you need to be siting about 8 feet away eye distance wise for optimal viewing of 1080p which is way too close for comfort unless it's for certain video games like first person games and racers foe example. What I'm saying is 4k is absolutely useless to me at this point. and it will always be useless for both movies and certain video game genres from where I'm sitting.
post #6453 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny84 View Post
OK, thanks!

the thing is most of my content as in 95% of it is 1080p, and I'm worried that 1080p being upscaled to 4k will deliver a worse picture vs 1080p being displayed on a 1080p native set
Frankly I think your fears are unfounded. I sit further away than you and find my 65" just great with OTA 720 to 1080 stuff as well as up to 4K media from streaming sources.

I don't have a Blu-Ray 4K player but find my standard blu-ray deck is delivering SD DVD upscaled images that just blow away what I was getting on my old set.

-=[Bob]=-
TCL 65" 65R615, 49" 49S515, 32" L32HDF11TA
My systems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6454 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
Had to decide whether to exchange it or not very soon.

I think the uniformity overall is OK, not stellar, the main bothering points for me are two dark spots (about 1/4 inch in diameter) in the center of the screen. I noticed those in the hockey DSE test video and now I can see it even in the regular content when there is gray background at that location. Also I can see brandings in the gradient color pixs although the solid color pix looked OK to me. The vignetting at all four corners, with the bottom left corner being a little standout was new to me, coming from a 49 inch LG crappy UJ6200.

I had my fair expectation as I got this in a pretty good deal, just want to make sure what I got was outside the normal range. Thanks a lot.

uniformity looks okay to me. some banding and dark corners, which is normal. Green looked the worst, but overall not bad. Where did you get those test patterns?

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #6455 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Frankly I think your fears are unfounded. I sit further away than you and find my 65" just great with OTA 720 to 1080 stuff as well as up to 4K media from streaming sources.

I don't have a Blu-Ray 4K player but find my standard blu-ray deck is delivering SD DVD upscaled images that just blow away what I was getting on my old set.
I guess it depends on the TV scaler? I just want 1080p content to look crisp and clear like it would on a 1080p native set.

The 65" would only cost me less than $350 CAD vs the 55"

Also do you use local dimming in order to gain better blacks? Are there any compromises when doing so like an dimmer picture/dim whites etc?
post #6456 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on the TV scaler? I just want 1080p content to look crisp and clear like it would on a 1080p native set.
Also do you use local dimming in order to gain better blacks?
I've been quite satisfied with the R617 settings recommended by RTINGS.com. As far as local dimming goes:
"In the Advanced picture settings, we set the Local contrast off for the calibration process, but for regular use, you should set it to High (Local contrast is TCL's local dimming option). If you find that the screen luminance changes too much by itself depending what is displayed on the screen, you can set it to be less strong or simply turn it off."
I suspect it will depend on your viewing room environment.

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
post #6457 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
If you have a smartphone, download the Roku app and use your smartphone. There is a setting in the app where it will cast the audio to the phone and output it through your headphones (or the smartphone speakers, but why would anyone do that)
Because Apple has capped the volume on the Roku smartphones app (the apps themselves have much lower volume than satellite/cable/others anyway as several have agreed) so I can’t hear the app programming using iPhone app. Roku remote has not had volume capped or if it has, it is much higher.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #6458 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I've been quite satisfied with the R617 settings recommended by RTINGS.com. As far as local dimming goes:
"In the Advanced picture settings, we set the Local contrast off for the calibration process, but for regular use, you should set it to High (Local contrast is TCL's local dimming option). If you find that the screen luminance changes too much by itself depending what is displayed on the screen, you can set it to be less strong or simply turn it off."
I suspect it will depend on your viewing room environment.

Thanks again!
But, how are the blacks levels/contrast when local contrast is set to off? Rtngs scored it with an 8.9, based on a 5182:1 reading but with local contrast set to high they managed to get 6052:1.

The local contrast mode itself scored a 6.0 which doesn't seem all that impressive. They said their was clouding around moving objects or something but at least it doesn't sacrifice mush brightness. I mean the brightness overall on this panel seems more than enough as it is.
post #6459 of 7233 Old 06-16-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks again!
But, how are the blacks levels/contrast when local contrast is set to off? Rtngs scored it with an 8.9, based on a 5182:1 reading but with local contrast set to high they managed to get 6052:1.

The local contrast mode itself scored a 6.0 which doesn't seem all that impressive. They said their was clouding around moving objects or something but at least it doesn't sacrifice mush brightness. I mean the brightness overall on this panel seems more than enough as it is.
Donny,
I toyed with things 2 weeks ago when I first got the TV. Set the configuration to RTINGS recommendations and haven't looked back. Why turn the contrast off when it works set on HIGH as recommended? I tend to be rather pragmatic and found the results very pleasing for me and those who also viewed the set. Blacks are great. Haven't seen any "clouding." All the scores in the world mean jack squat to me if I like what I see.
You are obviously much more of a techie than I am and if you absolutely need some kind of confirmation or assurance for what you seek you'll have to find someone else. Sorry. Being redundant this set, configured as said, "floats my boat!"

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
post #6460 of 7233 Old 06-17-2019, 05:21 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9307 Post(s)
Liked: 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Tcl is now the second largest producer of tv's worldwide. I wonder who the first is?

https://www.tcl.com/pk/en/news/TCL-e...h-in-2018.html
Should be Samsung. I know they used to be.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6461 of 7233 Old 06-17-2019, 05:25 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Whoops, spelling typos,

Responsive*

Detectable*

Oh and I was just wondering is this year's TCL 6 series(R617) and 5 series exactly the same as the 2018 models? Or will there be a difference in pq ect? The 2019 6 is up for sale on amazon BTW.

Rtngs reviewed the 2019 TCL 4 series and said the black levels and contrast ratio were superb, beating out last year's 6 series and that input lag across the board was only 13ms. Unfortunately it's a very dim display at only 177 nits max and doesn't support wide color gamut. Total deal breaker
That is the native contrast ratio. So it must be a new panel. If they can combine that panel with FALD, it should really loom superb. But even though that has a better native contrast ratio tha the 6 series, it doesnt have local dimming. So I would still take the 6 series over the 4 series.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-17-2019 at 05:59 AM.
post #6462 of 7233 Old 06-17-2019, 05:55 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
At what point did you folks toss your TCL 65" TV box and packing?

Right away?
After the 15 day (Best Buy) return period expired?
Other?
I waited until after my 45 day return period with Best Buy.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

post #6463 of 7233 Old 06-17-2019, 05:57 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
OK, thanks!

Which is why I was thinking maybe it's a better idea to go with the 55"

I currently sit about 12 feet away from 60" Panasonic S60 plasma for movies, and certain video game geners. They say you need to be siting about 8 feet away eye distance wise for optimal viewing of 1080p which is way too close for comfort unless it's for certain video games like first person games and racers foe example. What I'm saying is 4k is absolutely useless to me at this point. and it will always be useless for both movies and certain video game genres from where I'm sitting.
Definitely not worse on the 6 series set.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

post #6464 of 7233 Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That is the native contrast ratio. So it must be a new panel. If they can combine that panel with FALD, it should really loom superb. But even though that has a better native contrast ratio tha the 6 series, it doesnt have local dimming. So I would still take the 6 series over the 4 series.
It's also worth remembering that RTings (and most others) take their contrast ratio measurements on an ANSI checkerboard test pattern. These are not friendly with FALD, or at least don't let them show the full extent of their contrast improvement, because the black boxes are usually smaller than will allow zones to fully turn off, and are right next to 100% full white boxes. So not much 'dimming' kicks in at all.

Most content is not like that, which is why local dimming provides a much better visual impact on real content than those numbers would imply, even without hundreds and hundreds of zones.
clskinsfan likes this.
post #6465 of 7233 Old 06-17-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 2998
On any device where there are multiple settings options to choose from that each offers a different balance of pros and cons I like to experiment with each to let my own eyes tell me which pros appear most important to me and which cons I can most easily tolerate. I find this works better for me than simply going by published test results or the opinions of other users whose personal preferences might be different from mine.
post #6466 of 7233 Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
On any device where there are multiple settings options to choose from that each offers a different balance of pros and cons I like to experiment with each to let my own eyes tell me which pros appear most important to me and which cons I can most easily tolerate. I find this works better for me than simply going by published test results or the opinions of other users whose personal preferences might be different from mine.
Agreed which is why I toyed with all the options before trying the RTING settings. Turns out I/we preferred the later.

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
post #6467 of 7233 Old 06-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed which is why I toyed with all the options before trying the RTING settings. Turns out I/we preferred the later.
I honestly believe that every LCD panel is different. Hence someone elses settings could be absolutely worthless for your screen anyways. Plus I agree with you both that I want my TV to look the way I want it to look. I have professionally calibrated my PJ's in the past. And my personal opinion is they were always too dark for my liking. I ordered a 65 inch 6 series last week. The scheduled delivery date is the 23rd. So I have that itch to get my hands on it and start tinkering around with the picture.
post #6468 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I know I am not saying anything new here, but I took delivery of the TV yesterday. Took about 30 mins to unpack, set it in place and connect everything. Didn't have much to connect. Cable box and Vizio sound bar.

Powered on and WOW! This TV is spectacular. About 10 days ago, the 10 year old 42" LG finally gave up the ghost. In the interim, we used a 24" LG while searching for the replacement. I really wanted to go with LG, but the similarly priced model didn't review well, especially in a moderately dark room. So we bought the TCL and at least initially, we are blown away. I guess we watched 720p for so long, we weren't prepared for this. Incredible. I did the rtings settings real quick and I think we are happy. We aren't video geeks and like the look of the TV now just fine. ARC worked great and the sound bar powers on and off with the TV and the sound is pretty sweet.

We only watch the cable box TV shows and Netflix, Amazon prime and Plex.

My only question is about the expended warranty. My window is 12 days to purchase it. $150 for 4 more years. The general reviews of the best buy warranty are horrendously bad. I'd like to hear some opinions for you guys on that topic.

Thank you, it's good to be back here,
Michael
Ben23 likes this.
post #6469 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 05:10 AM
UHD Addict

I get the Best Buy extended warranty with all my TVs I buy from them. But There are certainly other warranty options that are cheaper.
Although I've never had to use a TV extended warranty from BestBuy. But I've had good results from other BestBuy products I purchased extended warranties on. That had to be replaced or fixed.
dynalmadman likes this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-18-2019 at 05:16 AM.
post #6470 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalmadman View Post
I know I am not saying anything new here, but I took delivery of the TV yesterday. Took about 30 mins to unpack, set it in place and connect everything. Didn't have much to connect. Cable box and Vizio sound bar.

Powered on and WOW! This TV is spectacular. About 10 days ago, the 10 year old 42" LG finally gave up the ghost. In the interim, we used a 24" LG while searching for the replacement. I really wanted to go with LG, but the similarly priced model didn't review well, especially in a moderately dark room. So we bought the TCL and at least initially, we are blown away. I guess we watched 720p for so long, we weren't prepared for this. Incredible. I did the rtings settings real quick and I think we are happy. We aren't video geeks and like the look of the TV now just fine. ARC worked great and the sound bar powers on and off with the TV and the sound is pretty sweet.

We only watch the cable box TV shows and Netflix, Amazon prime and Plex.

My only question is about the expended warranty. My window is 12 days to purchase it. $150 for 4 more years. The general reviews of the best buy warranty are horrendously bad. I'd like to hear some opinions for you guys on that topic.

Thank you, it's good to be back here,
Michael
i got the squaretrade warranty directly from costco. $65 for 3 years
post #6471 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Tcl is now the second largest producer of tv's worldwide. I wonder who the first is?

https://www.tcl.com/pk/en/news/TCL-e...h-in-2018.html
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...manufacturers/

Going by market share:

Samsung 16.6%
TCL 11.6
LG 11.3
Hisense 7.0
Skyworth 6.0
Sony 4.8
Sharp 3.7
Others 39

Lo, how the mighty have fallen. Some of us are old enough to remember when Sony totally dominated.
aaronwt likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #6472 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 2998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
… Some of us are old enough to remember when Sony totally dominated.
And some of us are old enough to remember when American brands dominated, long before latecomer Sony showed up in 1960.
giomania and Matt2026 like this.
post #6473 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
And some of us are old enough to remember when American brands dominated, long before latecomer Sony showed up in 1960.
That would make an interesting discussion. Who did dominate?

Admiral? Magnavox (before being bought by Phillips)? DuMont? GE? Muntz? Motorola? RCA?

It probably depends on what era a person is most familiar with. For me, it would probably be Magnavox or RCA. If you're really ancient it might DuMont or Muntz.
Dave in Green likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #6474 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...manufacturers/

Going by market share:

Samsung 16.6%
TCL 11.6
LG 11.3
Hisense 7.0
Skyworth 6.0
Sony 4.8
Sharp 3.7
Others 39

Lo, how the mighty have fallen. Some of us are old enough to remember when Sony totally dominated.
Sony still makes great TV's. They just need to price them competitively and they would dominate the market again. People have a hard time paying 2 or 3 times the price for something unless they are truly seeing a difference. As good as the Sony TV's are. They are not 3 times better than the "budget" TV's.
giomania likes this.
post #6475 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 25733
Quote:
That would make an interesting discussion. Who did dominate?

Admiral? Magnavox (before being bought by Phillips)? DuMont? GE? Muntz? Motorola? RCA?

It probably depends on what era a person is most familiar with. For me, it would probably be Magnavox or RCA. If you're really ancient it might DuMont or Muntz.
Mom & dad's first TV was a 1951 Admiral. I had a Sylvania B&W in the early '60s.

[Added] Westinghouse was another early producer.[More] "Television Manufacturers in USA Marketplace

From 1939 until today, there have been over 220 television set manufacturers that made sets in & for the USA market. The list below shows the major TV manufacturers. "

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300

Last edited by Matt2026; 06-18-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #6476 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalmadman View Post
Michael,

Glad you too have found this set eye opening. I recounted my "journey" in earlier posts about a week and a half ago.

As for warranties, I looked but was really put off by Best Buy's so I passed. Part of the decision was also based on my positive experience with a 2010 TCL model that is still functioning quite well.

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
post #6477 of 7233 Old 06-18-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What's up guys. I am in the market for another TV. Around xmas time I purchased a sony 900f 65 inch for my living room and love everything about the TV. We are moving now and i will be setting up the downstairs area in to a HT room. I would love for my 65 to go there but feel the room needs just a smidge bigger like 75 in. I've been teetering between getting the tcl 615 or a vizio p75 f1. I have watched and read as many reviews I can find and I see good reviews for both and bad reviews for both. I'm starting to get dizzy from all the reviews. I know the tcl still has screen uniformity issues and is that still a shot in the dark on getting a good one? Has anyone had a vizio p ( not quantum) to compare to the TCL? If you guys aren't keen on either what one would you recommend for a comparable TV in the 1500 area
Def thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #6478 of 7233 Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Sent from my Galaxy S10
You're saying the 2019 6 series might be a new panel? I should contact CNET and see if that's true or not. If it is I'll just hold until reviews pop up. Maybe this year they improved black levels and reduced input lag
post #6479 of 7233 Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
What's up guys. I am in the market for another TV. Around xmas time I purchased a sony 900f 65 inch for my living room and love everything about the TV. We are moving now and i will be setting up the downstairs area in to a HT room. I would love for my 65 to go there but feel the room needs just a smidge bigger like 75 in. I've been teetering between getting the tcl 615 or a vizio p75 f1. I have watched and read as many reviews I can find and I see good reviews for both and bad reviews for both. I'm starting to get dizzy from all the reviews. I know the tcl still has screen uniformity issues and is that still a shot in the dark on getting a good one? Has anyone had a vizio p ( not quantum) to compare to the TCL? If you guys aren't keen on either what one would you recommend for a comparable TV in the 1500 area
Def thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I own both a 65R617 and a Vizio P75-F1. I like them both quite a bit.
I use the TCL in the family room, while I have the Vizio in my media room.
I think the FALD is a little better on the TCL, with a bit less blooming, and the Roku interface is miles ahead better than the current Vizio SmartCast.
Motion is a bit better on the Vizio, and it has 2 additional HDMI inputs. Black level is really great as well, though hard to compare with TCL since I'm in a completely light controlled environment vs. the wide open family room.
Judging by forum responses, it seems like the uniformity issues are about the same for each. Perhaps I got lucky, or maybe I'm not very sensitive to it, but both my sets are solid on that front.
I think you'll be happy with either.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #6480 of 7233 Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
This just landed 1 hour ago

clskinsfan likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K