TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 218 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3703Likes

post #6511 of 7237 Old 06-22-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
Donny84 said:"I may not even use fald if fald makes the picture or whites look dim ect. I always thought panel lottery issues were more of a thing with vizio"

On rare occasions I get some blooming in the letterbox areas of the screen with FALD on....and honestly it bothers me a little. But as soon as I turn it down/off and watch the deep blacks become like a dark grey and the contrast change....I have to turn it back on. The little bit of blooming "once and a while" is not that big of a deal when you compare the difference FALD makes to contrast and deep blacks.

I should also state that for some reason the minor "blooming" i see is worse if I am slightly to the side when viewing. If I rotate the TV on it's base so that I am looking straight on, it is either completely gone or reduced by 90%.
I get some blooming as well, but the blooming is least offensive in High Local Contrast. It gets worse in medium and low. Without Local Contrast (TCLs label for the local dimming) I get a lot of light beed and some clouding, but those go away completely with the local dimming set to High.

In the dark, even on high some blooming is noticeable. However with some ambient light, the blooming pretty much disappears. I installed a bias light and BOOM! The blooming has disappeared when I watch in the dark. The percieved blacks are also darker with the bias light on.
Almost every tv has blooming. You did the right thing by adding bias lighting it does make a difference. Everyone calls this a budget tv they are wrong. It's a budget PRICED tv. It's a middle to high end tv that's just priced low. Plus it only has 3 HDMI which is no big deal just add a switcher is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6512 of 7237 Old 06-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 185

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #6513 of 7237 Old 06-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Liked: 164
Should I Buy a TCL TV? My answer has been "yes" several times. :-)

https://www.techradar.com/news/shoul...wing-tv-brands
aaronwt likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6514 of 7237 Old 06-22-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny84 View Post
Still annoying that this isn't 1080p and instead 4k. Don't need 4k yet, not until the PS5 comes out which will be a year and a half.

As long as 1080p looks fantastic as it would on a native 1080p led than I'll be happy
May as well get 4k now. The price of admission is no longer prohibitive so you will be ready day one when you pick up that PS5. Thats probably what I will be using as well.

But in addition to that, the smart apps on the TCL will mostly be in 4k. Netflix and Amazon especially. So just use the TCL to watch your streaming media and you'll be watching 4k/HDR content right away.

Plus the PS4 Pro upscales to 4k AND will play streaming videos from Netflix and Amazon in 4k/HDR as well. Dont worry, you will make use of the 4k.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #6515 of 7237 Old 06-22-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Almost every tv has blooming. You did the right thing by adding bias lighting it does make a difference. Everyone calls this a budget tv they are wrong. It's a budget PRICED tv. It's a middle to high end tv that's just priced low. Plus it only has 3 HDMI which is no big deal just add a switcher is all.
Fixed it.

Yeah, I know blooming is common for FALD sets. Its less annoying than clouding and just a bit of ambient light makes it disapper so yes, the bias light works wonders for dark watching with this set.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #6516 of 7237 Old 06-22-2019, 08:36 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Fixed it.

Yeah, I know blooming is common for FALD sets. Its less annoying than clouding and just a bit of ambient light makes it disapper so yes, the bias light works wonders for dark watching with this set.
Glad you fixed it and it worked out for ya. I hear so many reviewers saying the TCL 6 is a budget tv. Its not a budget tv it's a budget PRICE TV. It's a high end quality tv that surpasses some QLEDS and looks sometimes just as good as OLEDS. Not saying it close to an OLED in PQ but sometimes in dark conditions it does. Also this tv is $500 bucks for a high end quality picture. .I hate when reviewers call the tv a budget tv. Also I was so against TCL and I was like no way they suck. Was I shocked when I bought one. Is it perfect no but damn well for the price it's a higher end tv.
post #6517 of 7237 Old 06-22-2019, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello everyone!
I just got my 65r17 tv delivered today that I got on amazon.
I setup the tv and watched it on and off for about 3 hours different cable channels and everything looked fine until I came across FOX news and in person it is obvious these bright white lights around this news anchors face. I checked CNN next and see it as well on the random show that is on. I went back through some channels like TNT Comedy Central ESPN Tru tv and they are all normal.
Now I am frustrated since the tv online so I can’t return it to a store.

Is this the screen uniformity issues people talk about? From what I read and seen on YouTube I thought the issue was the screen was darker around the edges of the tv not in the middle of the screen while watching a ice hockey game or something.

This tv would not even come close to fitting in my car to return it so do I just live with it being that it only happens on the news channels from what I see so far? I haven’t bought a tv in over 7 years and am new to the hobby so what is the conventional wisdom for this situation?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7147C3C-48D8-45F7-B155-FAD3E4BFC305_1561262547251.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2583352   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B3E2AB6-D375-4A13-91F3-547C4336E7AF_1561262567155.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2583354   Click image for larger version

Name:	3C41359A-7143-4E30-9D25-787A5E34AEDB_1561262579686.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2583356  
post #6518 of 7237 Old 06-22-2019, 10:03 PM

Well I just got off the phone with amazon and they offer a discount of $150 if I keep the tv which would bring the tv to $550 or do a full return. I wasn’t expecting that and makes me feel a bit better but now my decision is harder to return it or not.
If this is a common screen uniformity issue that is talked about and not a major defect that gets worse over time I may just keep it.

Why when I turn on a movie like 21 jump street was on the picture looked perfect?

Also my local contrast is on high and the tv is set on brighter with backlight at 60 if that makes a difference
post #6519 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
May as well get 4k now. The price of admission is no longer prohibitive so you will be ready day one when you pick up that PS5. Thats probably what I will be using as well.

But in addition to that, the smart apps on the TCL will mostly be in 4k. Netflix and Amazon especially. So just use the TCL to watch your streaming media and you'll be watching 4k/HDR content right away.

Plus the PS4 Pro upscales to 4k AND will play streaming videos from Netflix and Amazon in 4k/HDR as well. Dont worry, you will make use of the 4k.
From where I'm sitting for bluray and neflix I wouldn't be able to to even see 4k. You have to be sitting closer than 8.1 feet from a 65" in order to get the benfits of 4k. For certain video game genres like first person, 3rd person and racers I'd love to sit even closer to the screen to get the benfits of 4k and to feel much more immersed into the expierence, that I can do but for movies and TV, not a chance. I like sitting further back so I can grasp what's happening on the left and right hand side of the screens.

Movies are different because you're getting different random camera shots and angles all the time, which makes things daunting and hard to follow when you're sitting too close to the screen. But with video games the camera is in one place, and you see through your characters eyes(typically) which makes for a more immersive grandos experience when sitting closer.

I wouldn't sit closer than 10 feet from a 65", even 10 feet for too long is overkill 11 feet is more preferable.

As for the PS4 pro it typically does fake 4k. Games that are native 4k which are few and far between are obviously graphically less demanding games but at least they're still there.

Anyways I just hate the idea of upscaling 1080p into 4k. So at least with Netflix(which I rarely use to begin), amazon and other movie rental services you'll be able to get them in 4k, along with a handful of native PS4 pro games.

I'm assuming that when the PS5 comes out that 4k will be standard, 1080p will be history and that we'll be seeing 8k games sprinkled here and there

Last edited by Donny84; 06-23-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #6520 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerr View Post
Hello everyone!
I setup the tv and watched it on and off for about 3 hours different cable channels and everything looked fine until I came across FOX news and in person it is obvious these bright white lights around this news anchors face. I checked CNN next and see it as well on the random show that is on. I went back through some channels like TNT Comedy Central ESPN Tru tv and they are all normal.

Is this the screen uniformity issues people talk about? From what I read and seen on YouTube I thought the issue was the screen was darker around the edges of the tv not in the middle of the screen while watching a ice hockey game or something.

This tv would not even come close to fitting in my car to return it so do I just live with it being that it only happens on the news channels from what I see so far? I haven’t bought a tv in over 7 years and am new to the hobby so what is the conventional wisdom for this situation?

Quote:
Well I just got off the phone with amazon and they offer a discount of $150 if I keep the tv which would bring the tv to $550 or do a full return. I wasn’t expecting that and makes me feel a bit better but now my decision is harder to return it or not.
If this is a common screen uniformity issue that is talked about and not a major defect that gets worse over time I may just keep it.

Why when I turn on a movie like 21 jump street was on the picture looked perfect?

Also my local contrast is on high and the tv is set on brighter with backlight at 60 if that makes a difference
wow, so, based on CNN & Fox News picture, your thinking about sending the tv back?

well, i dont want to tell you to send it back or not, that's up to you. did you at least test it with a steady, reliable source like a 4K or HD blu-ray player? did you use a 4K/HDR or HD blu-ray source and if so, how did it look? if it looked like Fox or CNN then, well......

if not, then, perhaps, your trigger finger might need some ointment to calm the itch down! i mean, myself, i wouldn't use CaTV or OTA as a guage to keep the tv, (unless in the case of OTA there was something wrong with the built-in tuner) as those sources are subject to change/fluctuate second to second. imho.

best of luck to you whatever you decide to do.
aaronwt and Matt2026 like this.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players

Last edited by solarrdadd; 06-23-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #6521 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
Had to decide whether to exchange it or not very soon.

I think the uniformity overall is OK, not stellar, the main bothering points for me are two dark spots (about 1/4 inch in diameter) in the center of the screen. I noticed those in the hockey DSE test video and now I can see it even in the regular content when there is gray background at that location. Also I can see brandings in the gradient color pixs although the solid color pix looked OK to me. The vignetting at all four corners, with the bottom left corner being a little standout was new to me, coming from a 49 inch LG crappy UJ6200.

I had my fair expectation as I got this in a pretty good deal, just want to make sure what I got was outside the normal range. Thanks a lot.

As you may see, I threw a few testing patterns on, and the panel looked not bad, 5%-20% gray solid background, hocky test video etc showed alright. Until I tried to load God of War and Horizon zero dawn to try out the HDR. Horizon's loading page showed some cloudiness but God of war's loading page was the worst with several brighter patches and a backlight bleed spot at the bottom left edge. Is this normal with this model? Thanks a lot.
post #6522 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
As you may see, I threw a few testing patterns on, and the panel looked not bad, 5%-20% gray solid background, hocky test video etc showed alright. Until I tried to load God of War and Horizon zero dawn to try out the HDR. Horizon's loading page showed some cloudiness but God of war's loading page was the worst with several brighter patches and a backlight bleed spot at the bottom left edge. Is this normal with this model? Thanks a lot.
don't know what your time frame to return it is, (you didn't mention that) but, bottom line, you either like it enough as it is to keep it or you don't and your going to return it. why keep something your not happy with as that most likely means you will have something that every time you look at it, you are reminded of how unhappy you are with it. if you are in fact that unhappy with it.

i know, not what you wanted to hear and i respect that. but, you have the tv and have put it through it's paces and no matter what people tell you it still comes down to you are either satisfied with what you see or your not.

i have never run any test screen on any of my three TCL tv's that i have. and yes, that's me and not speaking for what anyone else should do. they all looked good to great to me, so, i have kept them. yep, all have some dark clouding in the corners, but, that hasn't interfered with me watching and enjoying anything, again, speaking for me. so far, utilizing the 6 series 65" in my HT, watching tv via HD Cable DVR, UHD streaming (netflix/amazon,vudu via ROKU), SD/HD streaming via ROKU, Xbox One HDR gaming and UHD/DV/HDR Blu-ray movie watching with i'm absolutely thrilled with what i'm getting from the tv.

at any rate, best of luck and keep us posted whatever you decide.

post #6523 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone!
Now I am frustrated since the tv online so I can’️t return it to a store.

This tv would not even come close to fitting in my car to return it so do I just live with it being that it only happens on the news channels from what I see so far? I haven’️t bought a tv in over 7 years and am new to the hobby so what is the conventional wisdom for this situation?

Quote:
Well I just got off the phone with amazon and they offer a discount of $150 if I keep the tv which would bring the tv to $550 or do a full return. I wasn’️t expecting that and makes me feel a bit better but now my decision is harder to return it or not.

wow, so, based on CNN & Fox News picture, your thinking about sending the tv back? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

well, i dont want to tell you to send it back or not, that's up to you. did you at least test it with a steady, reliable source like a 4K or HD blu-ray player? did you use a 4K/HDR or HD blu-ray source and if so, how did it look? if it looked like Fox or CNN then, well......[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

if not, then, perhaps, your trigger finger might need some ointment to calm the itch down! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG] i mean, myself, i wouldn't use CaTV or OTA as a guage to keep the tv, (unless in the case of OTA there was something wrong with the built-in tuner) as those sources are subject to change/fluctuate second to second. imho.

best of luck to you whatever you decide to do. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I have the tv backlight on the brighter setting and it was midnight and pitch black so when I turned the tv on and scrolled through the channels it was on the news where it looks like the backlight around the anchors head as well as bouncing around different places on the screen was shining through super bright like can be seen in the pictures if zoomed (I know the photos are not the best)

I was not splitting hairs on the panel lottery this issue is glaringly obvious in person. However I turned the tv on again and checked today when I get back from work and the issue is not there but I am waiting for it to be dark outside again so I can check again.

It’s hard to explain because of my ignorance and never seeing anything on tv do this before
post #6524 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That looks like bad HDMI cables clipping the signal.
post #6525 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have the tv backlight on the brighter setting and it was midnight and pitch black so when I turned the tv on and scrolled through the channels it was on the news where it looks like the backlight around the anchors head as well as bouncing around different places on the screen was shining through super bright like can be seen in the pictures if zoomed (I know the photos are not the best)

I was not splitting hairs on the panel lottery this issue is glaringly obvious in person. However I turned the tv on again and checked today when I get back from work and the issue is not there but I am waiting for it to be dark outside again so I can check again.

It’s hard to explain because of my ignorance and never seeing anything on tv do this before
again, you only mentioned issues with two cable channels, i'm asking you are you basing the tv's performance on two channels?

nothing wrong with that if you only ever watch Fox news and CNN, then, in that case, yes, you should.

if other channels are ok and other sources, streaming from Roku itself and a UHD blu-ray or HD blu-ray player are fine, then, it's probable that you had issues with those two cable channels.

of course as i said before, if your not happy with it and can't deal with it as it is, then i think you know what you have to do.

so far you have not mentioned any sources other than those channels as things not working or looking right. you did mention god of war and zero dawn horizon, were those from PS4 cause you mention 'loading page' what does that mean? does the gameplay look good? also, have you played a blu-ray movie with the PS4 and if so, how does that look?

post #6526 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 162
For non-HDR content, you probably don't want the backlight on brighter or anywhere near its max. RTings put the TV brightness on darker, then backlight on minimum to get a calibrated 100 nits sdr picture. CNET published settings with tv brightness on darker, and the backlight somewhere in the 20s, which is probably more inline with daytime viewing. And that's all in Movie picture mode.

If you're in Vivid, with the brightness maxxed? Well, you're not going to get a good, or accurate, picture. You're just going to get the brightest mess the tv can manage.
post #6527 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Hello everyone!

fox news thou
THX1720, mark62 and solarrdadd like this.
post #6528 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
From where I'm sitting for bluray and neflix I wouldn't be able to to even see 4k. You have to be sitting closer than 8.1 feet from a 65" in order to get the benfits of 4k. For certain video game genres like first person, 3rd person and racers I'd love to sit even closer to the screen to get the benfits of 4k and to feel much more immersed into the expierence, that I can do but for movies and TV, not a chance. I like sitting further back so I can grasp what's happening on the left and right hand side of the screens.

Movies are different because you're getting different random camera shots and angles all the time, which makes things daunting and hard to follow when you're sitting too close to the screen. But with video games the camera is in one place, and you see through your characters eyes(typically) which makes for a more immersive grandos experience when sitting closer.

I wouldn't sit closer than 10 feet from a 65", even 10 feet for too long is overkill 11 feet is more preferable.

As for the PS4 pro it typically does fake 4k. Games that are native 4k which are few and far between are obviously graphically less demanding games but at least they're still there.

Anyways I just hate the idea of upscaling 1080p into 4k. So at least with Netflix(which I rarely use to begin), amazon and other movie rental services you'll be able to get them in 4k, along with a handful of native PS4 pro games.

I'm assuming that when the PS5 comes out that 4k will be standard, 1080p will be history and that we'll be seeing 8k games sprinkled here and there
Not exactly sure why you are posting this here. If you don't want 4K why post your feelings in a forum devoted to one of the best value and performing displays out there? Do you want someone to convince you to buy one? If you like 1080p there are still a number of them out there, go for it. You certainly are not going to get any converts to your way of thinking here.
post #6529 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55R617 on Amazon. My only apprehension is all the major uniformity pics from their review section.

It is such a great bang for the buck set if you can get a good panel.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
solarrdadd likes this.
post #6530 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Then don’t buy one; I meant that respectfully too. The choice of course is yours. Good luck.
khcoach and Dr.Shankenstein like this.

post #6531 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Then don’t buy one; I meant that respectfully too. The choice of course is yours. Good luck.
I didnt see it as disrespectful.

post #6532 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 PM

Update so anyone reading into this tv doesn’t get a bad impression of the tv based on what I said (someone who is still learning what they’re looking at)
I took the advice from the nice people above and turned the tv to bright and normal and I know longer see the issue.

I have a Sony X800m2(hopefully they still include 4K jumanji with it) and 4K hdmi cables coming on Tuesday since the Best Buy near my house only had version 1 X800 and the LG 90 players.
I will post some pictures and beginner impression of the tv from a first time 4K tv owner vs a 55” Samsung LCD from 2014
post #6533 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 PM

Quick iPhone pic I took after initial setup
TCL 65R17
Klipsch R-820f towers
Klipsch r34 center
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B08E82A-301F-4D13-A25E-7FBABAFC9CD5_1561346064407.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2583740  
post #6534 of 7237 Old 06-23-2019, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Hello everyone!
I just got my 65r17 tv delivered today... Is this the screen uniformity issues people talk about? ...
I needed to blow up the pics to see it. I see a red fringe, not unlike a posterization effect, surrounding a contour of equal brightness. Is this what you're asking about?

I have seen it once on my 55p615, but I blamed the Tivo Bolt image source. A simple po/po solved it, and it hasn't returned.

At that time, I was also exploring the panel's capabilities, so I may have had the brightness very high. I have since linked high brightness to RED calibration issues (just got a colorimeter), so the defect may be linked, too. Mine went away on its own, and if it doesn't, try reducing screen brightness (i.e. lower contrast setting).

Quote:
From where I'm sitting for bluray and neflix I wouldn't be able to to even see 4k. You have to be sitting closer than ...
That's what I thought, until I plunked a 55P615 next to my calibrated LG 60PB6900 plasma. I sit 10' from the pair - SD distance even with a 60. The 55P615 blows it away! There is no individual comparison that doesn't go to the 4K panel, it wins in every category. The wife even agrees, she just wants one of the panels to go away.

Please understand I'm a retired image scientist. I know all the arguments, and have argued for them in the past. I now understand that calculations based on human visual acuity fail to consider raster-related defects, and the impact they have on perceived image quality. The high micro-contrast of flat panels amplifies some things into defects, while making the rest of the image just look sharper. This is not something related to resolving individual pixels but rather a benefit of oversampling... seeing several pixels per arcsecond has benefits! (human visual acuity is about 1 cycle/arcsecond or 60 cycles/degree).

The obvious one is tennis courts. High contrast H or V lines will flash, especially if they're narrow. Then there's the benefit of upscaling in image processing; you can't add detail, but you can sharpen what you have. The image simply appears sharper when viewing the same program side-by-side. I've controlled for data rate; both were OTA signals. It's in the panel.

Color was not as good as the calibrated plasma using user controls (brightness/contrast/color/tone) until I started in with the colorimeter. Now it blows the calibrated plasma's socks off, and that's in Rec 709 configuration (HD). Haven't played with 4k features yet, but contrast and color enhancements will certainly be visible from a distance. I was with you, buddy, until I saw the 4K light for myself.

And FWIW, I've been able to calibrate it with a 25,000:1 contrast ratio, so there's no question of black blacks, but it looks like crap that way in my room. Calibration is personal.

Have fun,
Frank

Last edited by fbov; 06-23-2019 at 09:58 PM.
post #6535 of 7237 Old 06-24-2019, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55R617 on Amazon. My only apprehension is all the major uniformity pics from their review section.

It is such a great bang for the buck set if you can get a good panel.

I had the same issues. I was so hesitant, that I decided to forego the 617 and the good remote and decided to get the 615 from Best buy, in case I didn't like the screen, then easier to exchange.

Having said that, when it comes to watching TV, I am Joe six-pack. I worried I might get a bad panel, but not really. I got the TV set up and adjusted the settings according to rtings and the TV is great. I'm not gonna run the banding or dirty screen tests, because the TV looks great and I don't care to force myself to find problems.

The only thing I am wrestling with is whether or not to buy the extended warranty from square trade. Still on the fence about that.

My recommendation? Buy the TV and enjoy it. If it turns out to be grossly broken, then exchange. But mine was fine out of the box. YMMV.

Michael
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.

Last edited by dynalmadman; 06-24-2019 at 05:08 AM.
post #6536 of 7237 Old 06-24-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalmadman View Post
I had the same issues. I was so hesitant, that I decided to forego the 617 and the good remote and decided to get the 615 from Best buy, in case I didn't like the screen, then easier to exchange.

Having said that, when it comes to watching TV, I am Joe six-pack. I worried I might get a bad panel, but not really. I got the TV set up and adjusted the settings according to rtings and the TV is great. I'm not gonna run the banding or dirty screen tests, because the TV looks great and I don't care to force myself to find problems.

The only thing I am wrestling with is whether or not to buy the extended warranty from square trade. Still on the fence about that.

My recommendation? Buy the TV and enjoy it. If it turns out to be grossly broken, then exchange. But mine was fine out of the box. YMMV.

Michael
My experience with squaretrade was great. My KS8500 went bad after 2 years and ST replaced my display within a week.

Keep in mind they arent concerned with finding you a display with identical specs, so they'll offer any display they can at the price of the original purchases.

They are open to suggestions though, so if they recommend something you simply don't accept and send them links with your recommendations.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll pull the trigger.

dynalmadman likes this.
post #6537 of 7237 Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalmadman View Post

Michael
My R617 will be here wedneday

aaronwt and dynalmadman like this.
post #6538 of 7237 Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
@Powerr , thanks for taking time to post your update. No question that unoptimized settings account for a large percentage of complaints about TV image quality. Viewing flawed content also results in misinterpreting the optimum image quality of any TV. Getting the settings all dialed in and viewing quality content are both important for any TV to best display what it's capable of delivering.
aaronwt and Dr.Shankenstein like this.
post #6539 of 7237 Old 06-24-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@Powerr , thanks for taking time to post your update. No question that unoptimized settings account for a large percentage of complaints about TV image quality. Viewing flawed content also results in misinterpreting the optimum image quality of any TV. Getting the settings all dialed in and viewing quality content are both important for any TV to best display what it's capable of delivering.
I am a tinkerer, so I'll be days dialing it in.
I won't be using purity slides to hunt for issues.
I used to when buying late Paasonic plasmas and likely lost out on some truly great displays. This was due flaws that I likely would have never seen in normal content, but was uber OCD back in the day.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 06-24-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #6540 of 7237 Old 06-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
My R617 will be here wedneday

Groovy! Now the anticipation begins. I wound up having bb deliver mine. I was pretty sure it would squeeze into my Jeep liberty. But I wasn't sure I could wrestle it back out damage free by myself. The waiting sux, but the anticipation isn't all bad.

Looking forward to hearing your first viewing comments.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page