TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3712Likes

post #6781 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Can anyone answer this for me?

Actually I have a question about this. So let's say for instance I am playing a game or watching a movie in HDR or DV. Why doesn't the picture mode when changed to HDR mode change to Movie, Normal, Vivid etc? Why does it change to Dark, Normal, Bright HDR? How do we know what picture mode we are watching? I think it's kinda stupid. So I guess the Dark HDR picture mode means Movie mode and Normal HDR means Normal picture mode and Bright HDR means Vivid. Am I correct in stating this? Also when I watching in HDR and change the HDR picture mode to dark or bright or whatever, the app always default to low power mode. Why is this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
... How do we know what picture mode we are watching? ...
...So I guess the Dark HDR picture mode means Movie mode and Normal HDR means Normal picture mode and Bright HDR means Vivid. ...
... the app always default to low power mode. Why is this?
Only way to know what picture mode you're watching is to put video on and press * (asterisk). You must have video running, not even paused. Depending on either the input (HMDI/Streaming) or video format (HD, DV, HDR), you'll see a different picture mode unless you set them all the same (what I did).

You have to change picture mode using both the remote and the app, or it reverts to low power (factory default???). Easy to sync; just set both while watching the same thing. Oddly, the TCL Dolby Vision demo video brings up a picture mode with a Dolby Inc. double-D logo suffix, which doesn't show on the app, so this trick may not always work.

No idea what you mean by "...Dark HDR picture mode means Movie mode...." I see a clear selection of picture modes for each input and video format. It's just that I've got six combinations, and can only access four (no 4K by HDMI).

Conversely, if you do advanced calibration (TRC/white balance/color gamut), the TRC/WB settings propagate to all settings, while color space values will not. That means you can do custom color gamut for each input, so I can see a real "Vivid" mode coming. Conversely, TRC/WB all depends on brightness/contrast/color/tint adjustments that also don't propagate, making the TRC/WB settings that do propagate "wrong" for the actual white and black levels. That's why I like to set all modes the same, then tweak, rather than starting with factory defaults.

I hope this helps,
Frank
post #6783 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... So let's say for instance I am playing a game or watching a movie in HDR or DV. Why doesn't the picture mode when changed to HDR mode change to Movie, Normal, Vivid etc? Why does it change to Dark, Normal, Bright HDR? ...
Like I said, no 4K by HDMI in my system so this sounds like a mode that's not accessible to me. Bright HDR is a new one, but a sensible one. Some HDR videos (real HDR videos? Stranger Things via Netflix is one.) are too dark until I turn the backlight from 14 to 60-70. TCL's DV demo benefits as well. What does your eye tell you? Mine say true HDR looks bad when viewed using HD settings.

Have fun,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6784 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
Quote:
... How do we know what picture mode we are watching? ...
...So I guess the Dark HDR picture mode means Movie mode and Normal HDR means Normal picture mode and Bright HDR means Vivid. ...
... the app always default to low power mode. Why is this?
Only way to know what picture mode you're watching is to put video on and press * (asterisk). You must have video running, not even paused. Depending on either the input (HMDI/Streaming) or video format (HD, DV, HDR), you'll see a different picture mode unless you set them all the same (what I did).

You have to change picture mode using both the remote and the app, or it reverts to low power (factory default???). Easy to sync; just set both while watching the same thing. Oddly, the TCL Dolby Vision demo video brings up a picture mode with a Dolby Inc. double-D logo suffix, which doesn't show on the app, so this trick may not always work.

No idea what you mean by "...Dark HDR picture mode means Movie mode...." I see a clear selection of picture modes for each input and video format. It's just that I've got six combinations, and can only access four (no 4K by HDMI).

Conversely, if you do advanced calibration (TRC/white balance/color gamut), the TRC/WB settings propagate to all settings, while color space values will not. That means you can do custom color gamut for each input, so I can see a real "Vivid" mode coming. Conversely, TRC/WB all depends on brightness/contrast/color/tint adjustments that also don't propagate, making the TRC/WB settings that do propagate "wrong" for the actual white and black levels. That's why I like to set all modes the same, then tweak, rather than starting with factory defaults.

I hope this helps,
Frank
Frank thanks for the information. Ok let me try and explain this alittle better. Ok when your watching an HDR movie and the TCL detects HDR is playing. If you click on the asterisks on the remote to bring up your picture setting you have the following

Tv Brightness- darker to brighter
Picture Mode- dark hdr, normal hdr, bright hdr (when watching HDR content)

When watching SDR content your picture mode is the following:

Movie-Normal-Sports,Vivid

So my question is why when in HDR mode why can't the picture mode settings be the following

Picture Mode- Movie(HDR Dark) etc...
How do I know what picture mode I am in when watching HDR content? Understand what I am trying to relate? Also yes I know about the app settings. So if I am watching HDR content and I switch from say Brighter HDR to Dark HDR on the remote then I go into the app and under picture mode it goes to "low power"

I just think TCL screwed up the HDR picture mode settings. I just figured the picture mode in HDR should tell you what mode your in Movie, Vivid, etc..like I explained above. Does this makes sense?
post #6785 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To be fair, TCL features Dolby Vision, not HDR10, so I can forgive some shortfalls.

I think you're reading too much into picture mode names?

High dynamic range programming, like HDR and DV, seems to have three modes, Dark Normal Bright, with a * and a suffix indicating which programming.
Standard dynamic range programming seems to have five modes, Movie, Normal, Vivid, Sport and Low Power.

The HDR and SDR picture modes are not related, beyond some fuzzy idea of what might be "normal." I can set them each to their own contrast/brightness/color/tint. I view the names as just labels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're bringing your HDR programming in an HDMI port, correct?

The app always show "streaming" input regardless the program I choose on Netflix, so the app never shows Dolby Vision suffix settings. If you're using an HDMI input, you ought to see that HDMI port listed as the input in the app. The question is if HDMI also fails to communicate use of high dynamic range programming to the app.

Have fun,
Frank
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.
post #6786 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
To be fair, TCL features Dolby Vision, not HDR10, so I can forgive some shortfalls.

High dynamic range programming, like HDR and DV, seems to have three modes, Dark Normal Bright, with a * and a suffix indicating which programming.

Standard dynamic range programming seems to have five modes, Movie, Normal, Vivid, Sport and Low Power.

The HDR and SDR picture modes are not related, beyond some fuzzy idea of what might be "normal." I can set them each to their own contrast/brightness/color/tint. I view the names as just labels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're bringing your HDR programming in an HDMI port, correct?

The app always show "streaming" input regardless the program I choose on Netflix, so the app never shows Dolby Vision suffix settings. If you're using an HDMI input, you ought to see that HDMI port listed as the input in the app. The question is if HDMI also fails to communicate use of high dynamic range programming to the app.

Have fun,

Frank
TCL while selling their displays on the idea of supporting dolby vision, it still features and supports HDR10.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 07-17-2019 at 07:54 PM.
post #6787 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Have fun,
Frank
Frank TCL R617 supports both DV and HDR10. I watched Superman which is only in HDR10 on Vudu the other night. Ok regarding how I am watching DV or HDR content is through HDMI port 1 apple tv.. I am not having a problem with anything but I guess you dont understand where I am coming from lol

So why does the tv menu picture settings have picture mode selections of Movie, Normal, Vivid and Sports only in SDR? Why not in HDR is my question. It's only dark, normal or bright. How are they picture modes? You guys understanding me lol. So if I am watching in SD say in Netflix through apple tv and I have my picture mode calibrated to movie but then I select a DV movie and I dont touch any of the tv picture settings. In DV the picture mode is changed to Dark DV. So I am assuming that Dark DV=Movie SD and Normal DV=Normal SD and Bright DV=Vivid SD. I dont think I am reading to much in labels and names. When your watching something in DV the picture mode setting shouldnt be dark, normal or bright. Like I said it should be labeled as Movie (Dark DV). So what your saying the Picture Mode when watching DV doesnt have to match picture mode in SD? I am trying to pick you guys brains here becuase I have the Samsung Q6fn and I have it set to Movie mode for both SD content and DV. Picture Mode does matter in HDR content. Unless I was thinking that the asterisks next Movie in picture mode is the only indication when switched to watching DV the Dark picture mode has the asterisks so I guess I would still be in movie mode. Is anyone understanding what the hell I am talking about or am I nuts here lol Also this is the IMPORTANT PART. So let's say I am watching through my apple tv on HDMI 1 and lets say I am watching a SD movie in netflix and I am watching in Movie mode. Now let's say I switch to a movie in DV. Now if you go to your app on your phone after you make that switch to a DV movie. The picture mode in the app will change from Movie mode setting to LOW POWER after you make the switch to DV. Check what I am talking about. Watch something in SD check your app setting everything looks fine but when you exit out of app and change to a DV movie go back into the app and your picture mode changes to Low Power. Try it and let me know if you guys get the same thing and if this is normal or supposed to do this.

Last edited by Scottt1174; 07-17-2019 at 08:29 PM.
post #6788 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey does anyone know if you can wall mount this tv using the screws that come with it? I have an existing mount for it but the screws don’t fit.
post #6789 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2121 View Post
Hey does anyone know if you can wall mount this tv using the screws that come with it? I have an existing mount for it but the screws don’t fit.
I mounted my 65" & 55" with those screws. It has been a year now and both TV's still hanging on wall mounts with no issue.
post #6790 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... I guess you dont understand where I am coming from lol ...
Yeah, I do. You need to stop using "dictionary" meanings for the settings, and thinking they're related across video formats.

To my way of thinking, in SDR, picture modes are Tom, Dick, George, Harry and Phil. In HRD you get modes named Rodney, Tom and Sydney (but Tom is a different guy than in SDR). The approach gets you away from the fairly false expectation that "Normal" mode is somehow the one you should normally use. The names are marketing. At best, the numbers for brightness/contrast/color/tint settings based on a prototype with no care for production variation. "Vivid" is just brighter than other modes.

There is no functional attempt to link any mode to one of the industry standards (BT 709 for 2K, BT 2020 for 4K). They're not that dumb; display calibration is unique for every set point of every display. I have calibrated my display several times to get calibration I'm willing to watch for a while. I then set all the modes the same (as much as possible) so it no longer matters if picture mode changes randomly across video formats.

Picture modes are there to serve you. Stop trying to figure out what TCL wants you to do, and set up the picture modes so they do what you want.

Now... figuring out what you want can be an interesting discussion. Glad this is a forum.

HAve fun,
Frank

And I never said HDR wouldn't work, just that I'd forgive some imperfections. This is the one that NEEDS different settings (backlight bump), but my STREAMING inputs don't show the unique modes you get through HDMI. I'm in manual land.

Last edited by fbov; 07-17-2019 at 10:45 PM.
post #6791 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 10:54 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Frank TCL R617 supports both DV and HDR10. I watched Superman which is only in HDR10 on Vudu the other night. Ok regarding how I am watching DV or HDR content is through HDMI port 1 apple tv.. I am not having a problem with anything but I guess you dont understand where I am coming from lol

So why does the tv menu picture settings have picture mode selections of Movie, Normal, Vivid and Sports only in SDR? Why not in HDR is my question. It's only dark, normal or bright. How are they picture modes? You guys understanding me lol. So if I am watching in SD say in Netflix through apple tv and I have my picture mode calibrated to movie but then I select a DV movie and I dont touch any of the tv picture settings. In DV the picture mode is changed to Dark DV. So I am assuming that Dark DV=Movie SD and Normal DV=Normal SD and Bright DV=Vivid SD. I dont think I am reading to much in labels and names. When your watching something in DV the picture mode setting shouldnt be dark, normal or bright. Like I said it should be labeled as Movie (Dark DV). So what your saying the Picture Mode when watching DV doesnt have to match picture mode in SD? I am trying to pick you guys brains here becuase I have the Samsung Q6fn and I have it set to Movie mode for both SD content and DV. Picture Mode does matter in HDR content. Unless I was thinking that the asterisks next Movie in picture mode is the only indication when switched to watching DV the Dark picture mode has the asterisks so I guess I would still be in movie mode. Is anyone understanding what the hell I am talking about or am I nuts here lol Also this is the IMPORTANT PART. So let's say I am watching through my apple tv on HDMI 1 and lets say I am watching a SD movie in netflix and I am watching in Movie mode. Now let's say I switch to a movie in DV. Now if you go to your app on your phone after you make that switch to a DV movie. The picture mode in the app will change from Movie mode setting to LOW POWER after you make the switch to DV. Check what I am talking about. Watch something in SD check your app setting everything looks fine but when you exit out of app and change to a DV movie go back into the app and your picture mode changes to Low Power. Try it and let me know if you guys get the same thing and if this is normal or supposed to do this.
No current Samsung TV supports the Dolby Vision HDR format.
post #6792 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
Quote:

No current Samsung TV supports the Dolby Vision HDR format.
Yes I know I meant HDR10 for the Samsung. It was a misstype.

Last edited by Scottt1174; 07-17-2019 at 11:25 PM.
post #6793 of 7272 Old 07-17-2019, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... So let's say I am watching through my apple tv on HDMI 1 and lets say I am watching a SD movie in netflix and I am watching in Movie mode. Now let's say I switch to a movie in DV. Now if you go to your app on your phone after you make that switch to a DV movie. The picture mode in the app will change from Movie mode setting to LOW POWER after you make the switch to DV. Check what I am talking about. ...
Let's try it.

Netflix Native Roku
- watching Haven (HD) I get *Normal on screen and Normal* on the app
- watching Lucifer (DV) I get *Normal on screen and Normal* on the app
- watching Spiderman Spider-verse (UHD 4K) I get *Normal on screen and Normal* on the app
- watching Traitors (DV from 4K queue) I get *Normal DD on screen and Low Power on the app.
- watching Russian Doll (DV from 4K queue) I get *Normal DD on screen and Low Power on the app.

Netflix Tivo (HDMI)
- watching Haven (HD) I get *Normal on screen and Normal* on the app
- watching Lucifer (HDR) I get *Normal on screen and Normal* on the app
- watching Spiderman Spider-verse (UHD 4K) I get *Normal on screen and Normal* on the app
- watching Traitors (HDR) I get *Normal HDR on screen and Low Power on the app.
- watching Russian Doll (HDR) I get *Normal HDR on screen and Normal* on the app.

Normal *.... Interesting... so I went back.
- watching Traitors (HDR) I get *Normal HDR on screen and Normal* on the app now. No more Low Power!
- Put on The Highwaymen and I get *Normal HDR on screen and Low Power on the app. It's back!
- put on Lucifer ... I get *Normal on screen and Normal* on the app

Consistent it's not.

But I like using HDMI... lets me set *Normal HDR to unique settings without affecting other formats.

Have fun,
Frank
post #6794 of 7272 Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Some HDR videos (real HDR videos? Stranger Things via Netflix is one.) are too dark until I turn the backlight from 14 to 60-70.
Maybe reference the Rtings settings? HDR/DV content needs the backlight and brightness turned up to be effective. They suggest the brighter setting with the backlight at 100. I keep my room very dark so I actually tend to prefer the normal brightness setting, but yeah, for DV, you should definitely amp up the backlight.

From the site:
"For HDR content, the TV will change picture mode to match the type of HDR content (Dolby Vision or HDR10) by itself, but if you want to be sure you have the best setting, just verify that the TV brightness is set to the Brighter setting, that the Backlight is set to maximum and Local contrast is set to High."

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...-2018/settings
post #6795 of 7272 Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Amazon was saying that the TV shipping in 1 to 2 months also noticed that on a Denon receiver too , that's pretty weird .

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
post #6796 of 7272 Old 07-18-2019, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
You need to get past thinking the SDR picture modes and HDR picture modes are in any way related or linked to one another. The picture mode you select in SDR has no bearing on what mode the TV enters when it detects either flavor of HDR - you set that yourself, and the TV will (theoretically) remember that.

Now, it just so happens that Movie mode with TV brightness = Darker is the most accurate SDR setting, and Dark HDR with TV brightness = Brighter is the most accurate HDR mode.

What's confusing about this set is that the TV fails to automatically adjust the TV Brightness setting between SDR/HDR content. You have to manually switch it from "Darker" to "Brighter" when you go from SDR to HDR, and vice versa. But it DOES automatically change the picture mode setting. Every other HDR-capable set I've seen/used will auto-swtich ALL settings, and this is definitely an annoyance that's giving me pause on picking one of these up. I wonder how many of the people experiencing "too dark" HDR on this set are trying to watch DV with the brightness still stuck on "Darker" and the backlight way down at 15-20.
ive never checked if the tv automatically adjusts between sdr/hdr content. ill check next time. im using rtings settings
post #6797 of 7272 Old 07-18-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
After the latest update, game mode is no longer automatically being turned on by my Xbox. Anybody else running into this?
post #6798 of 7272 Old 07-18-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After 13? years my Samsung Plasma 50" Went down for the 2nd time a couple of months ago. Decided to go with a 2018 TLC 55R617 through Amazon for $529 and their return policy. I know I'm playing the screen roulette. Expect it to arrive next week and am trying to get up to speed on it before hand. After several hours of searching threads there is a WHOLE lot more for me to study and learn. I'm probably going to spend a many a late night reading. I'm hoping someone might send me in a general direction with some links on where I can drill down on things like how to use the Roku app, tweaking the picture settings, etc.

Tech has come a long way since my last research on my old plasma and I feel like a babe in the woods with how far video standards have come.
I picked the 6 series 55" TLC from cnet's review of the color gamut and contrast ability. And because I want to be able to have some static images displayed on occasion. otherwise I would have bought an OLED in a heartbeat.
Anybody take pity on a LCD newbie and suggest some threads to read?
aaronwt and Dr.Shankenstein like this.

I fix machines
post #6799 of 7272 Old 07-18-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by electromech View Post
After 13? years my Samsung Plasma 50" Went down for the 2nd time a couple of months ago. Decided to go with a 2018 TLC 55R617 through Amazon for $529 and their return policy. I know I'm playing the screen roulette. Expect it to arrive next week and am trying to get up to speed on it before hand. After several hours of searching threads there is a WHOLE lot more for me to study and learn. I'm probably going to spend a many a late night reading. I'm hoping someone might send me in a general direction with some links on where I can drill down on things like how to use the Roku app, tweaking the picture settings, etc.

Tech has come a long way since my last research on my old plasma and I feel like a babe in the woods with how far video standards have come.
I picked the 6 series 55" TLC from cnet's review of the color gamut and contrast ability. And because I want to be able to have some static images displayed on occasion. otherwise I would have bought an OLED in a heartbeat.
Anybody take pity on a LCD newbie and suggest some threads to read?
You're in a good spot right here. Rtings.com has a good technical breakdown and if you want to try their settings a full calibration.
Their settings aren't necessarily copy and paste, but could be a good starting point.

My unit has excellent uniformity, so I didn't go looking for issues outside of normal content.

In most cases if your unit is gonna have Dirty screen effect or other uniformity issues it will be apparent with sports like hockey.

Good luck and enjoy your new set.

aaronwt and royalboyle14 like this.
post #6800 of 7272 Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
You're in a good spot right here. Rtings.com has a good technical breakdown and if you want to try their settings a full calibration.
Their settings aren't necessarily copy and paste, but could be a good starting point.

My unit has excellent uniformity, so I didn't go looking for issues outside of normal content.

In most cases if your unit is gonna have Dirty screen effect or other uniformity issues it will be apparent with sports like hockey.

Good luck and enjoy your new set.

Thank you for your reply
I decided that I was going to forgive any screen lighting effects unless they were major. I'll compromise some in the middle vs the color depth and contrast. I've noticed LCD's have come a long way since my plasma purchase in 200?

Chris

I fix machines

Last edited by electromech; 07-18-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: misspell
post #6801 of 7272 Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I spent 7 years with a Panasonic Plasma that I truly enjoyed. Going to the 65" TCL was quite a jump. So I think you are in for some good times with the new set.
aaronwt likes this.

Oppo UDP-205 | Parasound P6 Preamp | Parasound NewClassic 2250 v.2 Amp
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL tweeters
TCL 65R617
Panasonic VIERA 50" Plasma (retired)
post #6802 of 7272 Old 07-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Street View Post
After the latest update, game mode is no longer automatically being turned on by my Xbox. Anybody else running into this?
hmm, I think I might have this same issue too. I got the firmware update on the 11th and now things with my xboneX have not been the same. My HDR stuff is all messed up. The random flashing static I used to get when opening Netflix is back after being fixed I thought with a certified cable, and to make matters worse, it's now even showing up in games that have HDR (AC Origins is what i tested). And now that you mentioned the game mode not coming on, I don't recall that happening for me either. I'll check again tonight when I get home from work. HDR was all messed up even on the TV's own apps until I unplugged and replugged it back in after a min. I haven't tried a factory reset yet to see if that'll help but I'm really not happy with this firmware update, especially 2 days after I got everything working great finally.
post #6803 of 7272 Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

it does have those options , your TV is not displaying in HDR or DV if you do not see those settings when pressing the *

Make sure you have your HDMI setting set to 2.0
post #6804 of 7272 Old 07-19-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalboyle14 View Post
Quote:

it does have those options , your TV is not displaying in HDR or DV if you do not see those settings when pressing the *

Make sure you have your HDMI setting set to 2.0
Dude what are you talking about I get HDR and DV. I changed those setting when I first got the tv. What settings are you talking about?
post #6805 of 7272 Old 07-21-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It looks like the latest firmware update added HLG support. My DirecTV 4K broadcasts now light up the HDR flag, and when I open up the info panel, it says HLG-HDR. Anyone else noticed this?
post #6806 of 7272 Old 07-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
It looks like the latest firmware update added HLG support. My DirecTV 4K broadcasts now light up the HDR flag, and when I open up the info panel, it says HLG-HDR. Anyone else noticed this?
Post a picture of it showing that.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #6807 of 7272 Old 07-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Before I switched from Directv, my Vizio with Directv C61 had HLG in the resolution space and the Vizio SmartCast app showed it there also. About 8 months ago.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #6808 of 7272 Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I just finished streaming Breaking Bad again on the tv in this thread using Roku's Netflix app. Decided tonight to compare it to my Vizio C70-D3 with Netflix via Apple TV 4K streamer going direct to tv hdmi input in both cases using high quality HDMI cables from a 3 pack I bough a few months ago. Both TV are calibrated using the Rtings recommendations with a slight tweak to more backlight in both cases.

The Vizio had appreciably better picture quality. Handles dark scenes much better, colors are more vibrant (the red in the wall picture behind Gretchen and Elliott in final episode is very rich as opposed to OK on the TCL), panamoric desert scenes are better and sharper picture. No blooming in the dark car scene meeting with Skinny Pete and buddy with Walt after they put the red lasers on Gretchen and Elliott.

My Vizio has always had better PQ and Apple TV4 is better than Roku Ultra or and TV app I’ve used so I don’t know how much impact this had on the overall better viewing experience but I would love to hear someone else’s input.

And, after another viewing, I can’t even articulate the hate and total lack of empathy I have for Walt’s character.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #6809 of 7272 Old 07-21-2019, 06:39 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9321 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
I'm not showing any HLG HDR here. I have an HLG test video I use that works from my Sony x800. And I have an HLG recording from FiOS. I have to connect it directly to the TV to bypass my Onkyo receiver since that does not pass through HLG HDR.

I'm only getting SDR from the Sony and TiVo. If I do the same thing with my Sony UHD TV I will get HDR from those two HLG files.
solarrdadd likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6810 of 7272 Old 07-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:

There wasn't an HLG support implemented in the new firmware. I asked TCL on Twitter. Closed case..lol
solarrdadd and Nouniard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page