TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 249 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3893Likes

post #7441 of 7789 Old 11-28-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone compare the picture quality from the internal Disney Plus app in the TCL R617 with a Fire Cube TV? Thoughts? I see differences and I know which I prefer but am wondering which is more “accurate”. Opening scene when we first see Ivan in the hall shows the greatest difference to me. On the internal app the scene is much darker in the hall while the cube presents Ivan in a much more lit and washed out hall. iPhone streaming is similar to the cube. I have not calibrated the set. All settings are the same for internal app and the cube which may explain the differences. Just wondering what others have found. Is it app related or differences in HDR vs. DV? Calibration?

Last edited by AndyN; 11-28-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7442 of 7789 Old 11-28-2019, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
Anyone compare the picture quality from the internal Disney Plus app with a Fire Cube TV?

You sure you posted to the right thread?

-=[Bob]=-
TCL 65" 65R615, 49" 49S515, 32" L32HDF11TA
My systems
post #7443 of 7789 Old 11-28-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) View Post
Quote:
Anyone compare the picture quality from the internal Disney Plus app with a Fire Cube TV?

You sure you posted to the right thread?
Actually not sure now. Thought this was for the TCL 617 thread. Couldn’t find a dedicated thread and been awhile since I checked in. Just looking for thoughts Regarding TCL’s internal Roku Disney Plus app versus amazing outside streaming box. Guess I’ll try a bit harder to find a dedicated thread specific to the 617.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7444 of 7789 Old 11-28-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Actually not sure now. Thought this was for the TCL 617 thread. Couldn’t find a dedicated thread and been awhile since I checked in. Just looking for thoughts Regarding TCL’s internal Roku Disney Plus app versus amazing outside streaming box. Guess I’ll try a bit harder to find a dedicated thread specific to the 617.

Oh okay. Yes you're in the right thread for TCL 2018 Series 6 TVs. But your question was confusing in that it never mentioned TCL which is why I asked if you were in the wrong place what with the Fire Cube TV comment. I don't have Disney so I'm afraid I can't help. But I'm sure someone will chime in.

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
post #7445 of 7789 Old 11-28-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Actually not sure now. Thought this was for the TCL 617 thread. Couldn’️t find a dedicated thread and been awhile since I checked in. Just looking for thoughts Regarding TCL’️s internal Roku Disney Plus app versus amazing outside streaming box. Guess I’️ll try a bit harder to find a dedicated thread specific to the 617.

Oh okay. Yes you're in the right thread for TCL 2018 Series 6 TVs. But your question was confusing in that it never mentioned TCL which is why I asked if you were in the wrong place what with the Fire Cube TV comment. I don't have Disney so I'm afraid I can't help. But I'm sure someone will chime in. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Cool. Thought I was going crazy since I couldn’t find an owners thread. Sorry about the confusion. My post was hugely vague so I edited it just a bit. Would love to get opinions on any internal streaming app versus an outside source.
post #7446 of 7789 Old 11-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Cool. Thought I was going crazy since I couldn’t find an owners thread. Sorry about the confusion. My post was hugely vague so I edited it just a bit. Would love to get opinions on any internal streaming app versus an outside source.

You mention calibration. The recently released TCL iPQ app is fantastic. Yes TCL says use a Goggle Pixel smartphone but lots of us have used other makes with great results. Might want to give it a try to ensure your TCL colors are optimal.

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
post #7447 of 7789 Old 11-28-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Cool. Thought I was going crazy since I couldn’️t find an owners thread. Sorry about the confusion. My post was hugely vague so I edited it just a bit. Would love to get opinions on any internal streaming app versus an outside source.

You mention calibration. The recently released TCL iPQ app is fantastic. Yes TCL says use a Goggle Pixel smartphone but lots of us have used other makes with great results. Might want to give it a try to ensure your TCL colors are optimal.
Hmmm, thanks for this. Looked it up and now awaiting the iOS version.
post #7448 of 7789 Old 11-28-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I hope I'm in the right place for this one.

I have the TCL 65R617 and I've noticed when watching 4k content anything bright seems to flicker. If I turn on motion smoothness it goes away, but the soap opera effect drives me crazy. I was just wondering if you guys encounter the same thing or if maybe I got a lemon. Is this common for 4k content? If I got a different brand and had all motion handling turned off, would I get this flicker?

Thanks!
post #7449 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone got the IPS calibration app working on a Samsung Galaxy S10+? I was excited to try it out and when it starts it keeps spinning searching for my TV. They are definitely both on the same WiFi network but keeps on spinning and never connecting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #7450 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_help View Post
I hope I'm in the right place for this one.

I have the TCL 65R617 and I've noticed when watching 4k content anything bright seems to flicker. If I turn on motion smoothness it goes away, but the soap opera effect drives me crazy. I was just wondering if you guys encounter the same thing or if maybe I got a lemon. Is this common for 4k content? If I got a different brand and had all motion handling turned off, would I get this flicker?

Thanks!
I have not noticed any flicker with bright scenes with 4K streaming or 4K discs from an Xbox One X. But I’ll pay closer attention. Using recommended settings from Rtings without the white balance or color settings.
Mike_help likes this.
post #7451 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I have not noticed any flicker with bright scenes with 4K streaming or 4K discs from an Xbox One X. But I’ll pay closer attention. Using recommended settings from Rtings without the white balance or color settings.
Can you try watching "Our World" on netflix? In the first 30 seconds the globe is spinning and when it gets to the dark side, the little lights really flicker. The motion smoothing fixes it, but it's the best example I have right now.
post #7452 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Can you try watching "Our World" on netflix? In the first 30 seconds the globe is spinning and when it gets to the dark side, the little lights really flicker. The motion smoothing fixes it, but it's the best example I have right now.
Oops I meant "Our Planet"
post #7453 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So something happened and 'Natural Cinema' and Action Smoothing are not selectable when streaming content from any app now. They are both grayed out and set to Off. Now I don't care about Action Smoothing but I sure liked Natural Cinema. The weird thing is both settings are avilable when I have it on antenna, it's only with streaming apps they are not available. I'm on a R615 and I did restart the TV.
post #7454 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by witness30 View Post
So something happened and 'Natural Cinema' and Action Smoothing are not selectable when streaming content from any app now. They are both grayed out and set to Off. Now I don't care about Action Smoothing but I sure liked Natural Cinema. The weird thing is both settings are avilable when I have it on antenna, it's only with streaming apps they are not available. I'm on a R615 and I did restart the TV.
I have R615 Too and I can’t switch action smoothing or natural cinema either but only on HDMI 3. Apps and the other hdmi inputs I can.Very strange.
post #7455 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Oops I meant "Our Planet"
I do see the same flicker of yellow lights as you’re describing. But none in the white clouds or the subsequent snow or ocean scenes at all. No idea the cause. Streaming on my phone it’s very very faint.
post #7456 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not available to me now on internal apps. From streaming box it’s available.
post #7457 of 7789 Old 11-29-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Not available to me now on internal apps. From streaming box it’s available.
Oh wow I just tried the Disney+ app on my Xbox and those options are available again. How did this get broken for the internal apps then?
post #7458 of 7789 Old 11-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Oh wow I just tried the Disney+ app on my Xbox and those options are available again. How did this get broken for the internal apps then?

Works fine on my internal apps I’ve used. Try turning any processing stuff off that might be on and changing picture mode to movie if it’s not already and give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7459 of 7789 Old 12-01-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So, I just bought this TV on sale for $400 at Costco (the 613 at Costco is the same as the R615 and 17, right?). Anyway, I am enjoying it, but have a noticed an issue. During dark scenes in movies and games, I notice what appears to be some kind of halo or bloom effect around bright objects. Like, for example, I was playing Alien: Isolation on PS4, which is a super dark game, and the HUD in the corner kinda had this halo of light around.

I also noticed something similar in movies with Black Bars on the top and bottom of the screen. It was almost like the light was bleeding into them, if there was a bright image on screen near the black bars, and this "bleeding effect" would actually move with the image too (like a light on the ceiling during a panning shot in Star Wars). It is kind of subtle, but definitely there.

So, what I was trying to find out is, is this normal, or is there an issue with the TV? I'm coming from a Plasma, so I guess maybe not used to some of this modern LCD tech, so I wanted to ask.
post #7460 of 7789 Old 12-01-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
@wassct , I have a Samsung 7 edge and went thru the spinning thing. I think connecting to wired then back to wireless finally got it to work for me. You then will have to take a set of 6 pictures, back to back, then you will get your results.
post #7461 of 7789 Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc44135 View Post
So, I just bought this TV on sale for $400 at Costco (the 613 at Costco is the same as the R615 and 17, right?). Anyway, I am enjoying it, but have a noticed an issue. During dark scenes in movies and games, I notice what appears to be some kind of halo or bloom effect around bright objects. Like, for example, I was playing Alien: Isolation on PS4, which is a super dark game, and the HUD in the corner kinda had this halo of light around.

I also noticed something similar in movies with Black Bars on the top and bottom of the screen. It was almost like the light was bleeding into them, if there was a bright image on screen near the black bars, and this "bleeding effect" would actually move with the image too (like a light on the ceiling during a panning shot in Star Wars). It is kind of subtle, but definitely there.

So, what I was trying to find out is, is this normal, or is there an issue with the TV? I'm coming from a Plasma, so I guess maybe not used to some of this modern LCD tech, so I wanted to ask.

What you are seeing is a normal trade off for the technology with bright LCD TVs and local dimming. I use LED light strips attached to the back of my TV which helps mitigate the blooming effect you are seeing. I also have a 75” 900F. The TCL is better with preventing this type of blooming than my Sony.

On the TCL I’m using Dark for brightness and when watching any HDR content I use HDR Dark mode. I’m using the TCL in a bedroom though. I see what you’re seeing but it’s minimal with my settings and bias lighting behind the TV. I’m using a cheap $15 strip of lights from amazon nothing special.

post #7462 of 7789 Old 12-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@wassct , I have a Samsung 7 edge and went thru the spinning thing. I think connecting to wired then back to wireless finally got it to work for me. You then will have to take a set of 6 pictures, back to back, then you will get your results.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #7463 of 7789 Old 12-01-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
Quote:

What you are seeing is a normal trade off for the technology with bright LCD TVs and local dimming. I use LED light strips attached to the back of my TV which helps mitigate the blooming effect you are seeing. I also have a 75” 900F. The TCL is better with preventing this type of blooming than my Sony.

On the TCL I’️m using Dark for brightness and when watching any HDR content I use HDR Dark mode. I’️m using the TCL in a bedroom though. I see what you’️re seeing but it’️s minimal with my settings and bias lighting behind the TV. I’️m using a cheap $15 strip of lights from amazon nothing special.

Thank you very much for the detailed response! Yeah, glad to hear this is normal. Will definitely look into Bias lighting.
post #7464 of 7789 Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wassct please post if your phone connected and if all 11 fields was calibrated.

I was able to use a Galaxy S7 and it only calibrated 100 to 50.

My final calibrated results were excellent in both categories with a 0.97.

My sister is going to be in town in a couple weeks and has the same phone as you. I'm hoping I can pick up were I've left off at 0.97 and complete the rest of the calibration that would include 40 and below.

Good luck and thanks!
post #7465 of 7789 Old 12-02-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice @talltitan, that is really good 0.97. I think I got mine from 5.57 to 2.31using the S7
post #7466 of 7789 Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick question, I'm getting the 75" inch version and wondering about using a USB hub.

This TV only has one USB port and I plan to use it to connect external drives/USB to it but also want to use a bluetooth transmitter.

Will the TV recognize a USB hub and will I still be able to read from external hard drive and use the bluetooth transmitter at the same time if both are plugged in?

Thanks
post #7467 of 7789 Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Nice @talltitan, that is really good 0.97. I think I got mine from 5.57 to 2.31using the S7
Yeah it took me like five times, but each one kept improving over the last until the sixth attempt which came out to 1.07 at which point I kept the previous 0.97 or 0.92 can't remember exactly the number but it was one of those two as my current calibration.
post #7468 of 7789 Old 12-02-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now @talltitan, you a re tempting me to calibrate again. Might have to give that a go tonight. Did you notice improvements in picture between calibrations?
post #7469 of 7789 Old 12-02-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Now @talltitan, you a re tempting me to calibrate again. Might have to give that a go tonight. Did you notice improvements in picture between calibrations?
Can't really say as I didn't stop between calibrations, I just kept repeating the process until I got down below 1.00 and with the 6th and last attempt being worst than the 5th attempt I just kept the results of the 5th attempt.

I believe my 1st attempt was a 4. something pre calibrated with a first result of 2. something.

Yeah overall I think it's improved from the pre calibrated results.
post #7470 of 7789 Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Thank you very much for the detailed response! Yeah, glad to hear this is normal. Will definitely look into Bias lighting.

Yeah, it's totally normal, and actually preferable to alternative LCD tech. Such as edge lighting. If you're coming from a Plasma, and got an Edge lit TV, say Samsung 8 series... You'd have returned that thing so fast. I'm coming from a plasma too. Last Year I got a Samsung NU8000 and just couldn't live with it. There was an entire light wash across the entire screen. I just recently got the TCL R625 and am very happy with the improvement and the blacks. I do not mind the haloing or bloom, because it's 1 million times better than that Samsung I had haha. There are some trade offs though, like quality assurance, and a ton of features I'm missing now.. but to have these blacks back, is worth it. Hopefully this thing lasts for a couple years. My smaller plasma is in my game room still going strong. That's my baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page