TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3802Likes

post #7471 of 7516 Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltitan View Post
I was able to use a Galaxy S7 and it only calibrated 100 to 50.

It has been previously posted in this thread that TCL had advised that smartphone cameras were insufficient to "read" levels less than 50, so no one is getting calibration adjustments for those lower levels.
aaronwt likes this.

-=[Bob]=-
TCL 65" 65R615, 49" 49S515, 32" L32HDF11TA
My systems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7516 Old 12-02-2019, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Wassct please post if your phone connected and if all 11 fields was calibrated.

My final calibrated results were excellent in both categories with a 0.97.

My sister is going to be in town in a couple weeks and has the same phone as you. I'm hoping I can pick up were I've left off at 0.97 and complete the rest of the calibration that would include 40 and below.

Good luck and thanks!
Unfortunately I'm still getting the spinning and can't connect. Really want to try this out too! I sent a message to the app folks but haven't heard back. Both the S10 and TCL are on the same WiFi network so doesn't make sense. I'm thinking it's some kind of permission I need to enable on my Galaxy S10 so it will connect.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #7473 of 7516 Old 12-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassct View Post
Unfortunately I'm still getting the spinning and can't connect. Really want to try this out too! I sent a message to the app folks but haven't heard back. Both the S10 and TCL are on the same WiFi network so doesn't make sense. I'm thinking it's some kind of permission I need to enable on my Galaxy S10 so it will connect.

Have you installed the iPQ channel on your TCL TV?

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7474 of 7516 Old 12-02-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) View Post
Have you installed the iPQ channel on your TCL TV?
According to the directions the phone is supposed to ask the TV to install the app once they connect. Unfortunately I can't get them to speak with each other so I haven't been able to get the tv app. Is there another way to install it on the TV?

post #7475 of 7516 Old 12-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
According to the directions the phone is supposed to ask the TV to install the app once they connect. Unfortunately I can't get them to speak with each other so I haven't been able to get the tv app. Is there another way to install it on the TV?

My error. Just looked at the Roku site to see if iPQ was available as a channel and it wasn't there. Sorry.

Does your phone with the "regular" Roku App communicate with the TV properly?

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
post #7476 of 7516 Old 12-02-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) View Post
My error. Just looked at the Roku site to see if iPQ was available as a channel and it wasn't there. Sorry.

Does your phone with the "regular" Roku App communicate with the TV properly?
Thanks anyway! I did the same thing. TCL did finally respond and said make sure I'm not using a VPN which I'm not and they should both be on the same network which they are. They are both connected to the 5ghz band and don't think that should make a difference. It's a Google WiFi mesh network.

post #7477 of 7516 Old 12-02-2019, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Wassct please post if your phone connected and if all 11 fields was calibrated.

My final calibrated results were excellent in both categories with a 0.97.

My sister is going to be in town in a couple weeks and has the same phone as you. I'm hoping I can pick up were I've left off at 0.97 and complete the rest of the calibration that would include 40 and below.

Good luck and thanks!

With my setup I have the TV hardwired and of course the phone connected to the WiFi.

When I downloaded the calibration app and selected it on the phone it just automatically connected and did bring up a prompt on the tv to enter a code which was displayed on the tv into some sort of verification or authorization field also located on tv.

Does the regular Roku phone app work properly?

Might try having the tv hardwired like mine is if that's feasible.
post #7478 of 7516 Old 12-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Hi guys,
Looks like I'm a TCL 6 2018 newbee, as the r613 55inch came in today. So far it's fantastic in many ways, yet I am having a slight problem. Although the blooming isn't bad, the cinema bars don't seem to be black enough in HDR or DV content with 2:35 aspect ratio. This is not the case with HD content. Are there any settings to remedy this issue? Also, I was told the 4k upscaling is not on at default. Is this true? If so, how can I access this hidden menu. I heard it's in picture settings>Enhanced mode?

Last edited by MLM87; 12-02-2019 at 09:15 PM.
post #7479 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 90
You guys are doing great.
Last night my son and I who owns a Samsung phone (S3 i think) went to the google store, and could not even find the IPQ app.
I then read it could only be used with a Google pixel phone...
post #7480 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
You guys are doing great.
Last night my son and I who owns a Samsung phone (S3 i think) went to the google store, and could not even find the IPQ app.
I then read it could only be used with a Google pixel phone...

Not true. IPQ app can install on any android device, it doesn't know what kind of you phone you have. Search for TCL IPQ and the app should be there.

It worked on my Kyocera Duraforce Pro with a crappy camera, able to get the final calibration in the 2 range.
With my Wife's LG G7, able to get it in the sub 1 range.
Haven't tried with my wife's Samsung Galaxy 10 yet.

Results are probably not as good as a pro calibration, but to my untrained eyes, its colors looks better and more natural than default. Much better than copying other people's calibration, which I know you shouldn't do but we do anyway when you have no other means of cheap DIY calibration.
post #7481 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencap75 View Post
Not true. IPQ app can install on any android device, it doesn't know what kind of you phone you have. Search for TCL IPQ and the app should be there.

It worked on my Kyocera Duraforce Pro with a crappy camera, able to get the final calibration in the 2 range.
With my Wife's LG G7, able to get it in the sub 1 range.
Haven't tried with my wife's Samsung Galaxy 10 yet.

Results are probably not as good as a pro calibration, but to my untrained eyes, its colors looks better and more natural than default. Much better than copying other people's calibration, which I know you shouldn't do but we do anyway when you have no other means of cheap DIY calibration.
No, it can't be installed on any android as it won't come up if your phone isn't compatible in the store. Searching on my Motorola G5+ it won't come up at all in the store. If i go from a link in an article on my phone that talks about the app it'll bring up the page in the Play store but says my phone isn't compatible and won't let me download it.
post #7482 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoach View Post
No, it can't be installed on any android as it won't come up if your phone isn't compatible in the store. Searching on my Motorola G5+ it won't come up at all in the store. If i go from a link in an article on my phone that talks about the app it'll bring up the page in the Play store but says my phone isn't compatible and won't let me download it.

If thats the case, then I'm surprised it let my Kyocera Duraforce install and run the app. The camera on the phone is terrible, and all the money in that phone is put into its ruggedness/waterproof and not its tech which is pretty dated.
post #7483 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencap75 View Post
If thats the case, then I'm surprised it let my Kyocera Duraforce install and run the app. The camera on the phone is terrible, and all the money in that phone is put into its ruggedness/waterproof and not its tech which is pretty dated.
looks like the Duraforce is a 13MP camera, while my G5+ is a 12MP one, might be other things involved with the camera's as well (different sensors etc). I wish I could download and test it at least, I'm not ready to upgrade phones just yet plus it's a pain in the ass to do so with the plan I'm on. I didn't try on my Samsung tablet though i don't think the camera on that is any better than my phone.
post #7484 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
With my setup I have the TV hardwired and of course the phone connected to the WiFi.

When I downloaded the calibration app and selected it on the phone it just automatically connected and did bring up a prompt on the tv to enter a code which was displayed on the tv into some sort of verification or authorization field also located on tv.

Does the regular Roku phone app work properly?

Might try having the tv hardwired like mine is if that's feasible.
Tried hardwired today. It must be something with my Google WiFi mesh network. The Roku app worked fine and connected right away. I guess I'll give up for a while unless I think of something that might work. Bummer though, wanted to give it a try.

post #7485 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 06:00 PM

I just tried it on my wife's Galaxy S9 and connected right away. Go figure! Must be something on my phone blocking access. Now the only problem is when it opens the camera to take a photo you can't see anything. Oh well, I tried!

post #7486 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I have loved my 6 series since I picked it up 7 months ago. Today while playing on my PS4 Pro I noticed this. Not the triangle, but the wide vertical discolored area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7487 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 07:47 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
I just tried it on my wife's Galaxy S9 and connected right away. Go figure! Must be something on my phone blocking access. Now the only problem is when it opens the camera to take a photo you can't see anything. Oh well, I tried!

Dug out my old S8+. Set it up, downloaded the app. It connected immediately to the TV. Took 12 photos. Said my TV went from 4.6x to 1.4x first try.

I saw no need to run it again, just wanted to see if it worked and I guess it did.

Michael
post #7488 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalmadman View Post
Dug out my old S8+. Set it up, downloaded the app. It connected immediately to the TV. Took 12 photos. Said my TV went from 4.6x to 1.4x first try.

I saw no need to run it again, just wanted to see if it worked and I guess it did.

Michael
Glad it worked for you

post #7489 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Buffering issues! Please help.

Does anyone have any buffering issues with the TCL 6? I have a robust gibabit network, and under network settings, it says I'm only getting 36mbps. I can get over 200mps in the same room as the TCL 6 with my fire tv stick 4k. Is there something wrong with the 5ghz band on the TCL 6? Vudu is buffering non-stop and the Apple TV app doesn't even work. Netflix works instantly, but that's the only exception. Anyone having a similar issue? Any help would be great. Thank you.
post #7490 of 7516 Old 12-03-2019, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
Does anyone have any buffering issues with the TCL 6? I have a robust gibabit network, and under network settings, it says I'm only getting 36mbps. I can get over 200mps in the same room as the TCL 6 with my fire tv stick 4k. Is there something wrong with the 5ghz band on the TCL 6? Vudu is buffering non-stop and the Apple TV app doesn't even work. Netflix works instantly, but that's the only exception. Anyone having a similar issue? Any help would be great. Thank you.

I had issues using the 5ghz band of my router on my TCL that’s on other side of my house. Switched to the 2.4ghz band and haven’t had any issues since. On my laptop I can get about 1gbps across my network from the same location so I assume it’s a TV specific issue.

I watched an x265 encoded video with HDR10 that was about 45gb in size across the WiFi over the weekend and never had any issues with any internal app since switching to the 2.4ghz band. On the 5ghz band my Plex media files buffered quite a bit. Don’t think Netflix ever did though. Either way switching to 2.4ghz fixed it for me.

Unfortunately it’s too long of a run else I’d have it wired into my network. I’m using an Asus AC68U router from 4-5 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7491 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

So this is the fourth time in one month, these shadows appear as we watch tv.
The first couple of times I did not bother taking pictures. Last night the shadows came back and here are the pics.
The shadows are placed completely differently this time. Last time they were only on the right part of the screen all the way top to bottom.
Now they seem to be on both sides.
Any ideas on what is causing this?
If you reboot the TV they go away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black shadows 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	673.5 KB
ID:	2649156   Click image for larger version

Name:	black shadows 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2649158  
post #7492 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Hey guys, Haven't been lurking much as I haven't had any issues. Still loving the TV (65R617) since May of last year. Just wanted to post a quick experience I had trying out things on Disney+. I started watching The Mandalorian without changing any settings I had already done for DV based on 4K discs and Netflix/Prime. I was underwhelmed by the picture quality. It just seemed dim and unimpressive overall. No pop. After finishing episode 4 last night, I perused the movies section, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier was there. That movie has a great opening scene with some great action on a ship at night.

It gets to the sweeping shots around the boat deck, and it is just very dark, and I know I am not seeing everything I should be seeing. I've found I like the pic mode on HDR/DV Normal. I switched it to Bright out of curiosity. That auto set the color temp to cool. I pushed that back to warm, and I also ended up taking the brightness down to 45 (from 50 I think was the preset). Backlight at 100, Contrast at 100, Sharpness at 20, Color at around 50 (I think). Anyway, what I ultimately found was a much improved, much more dynamic picture with clear HDR highlights. Noting I am in a completely dark room.

I am not saying you will like these settings. I am not saying they are objectively correct based on what a pro calibrator would do. I am just saying, at first, my standard settings on Disney+ looked dismal. These settings made me enjoy the picture much more. I am fully aware I may have to make some adjustments with DV content from other sources, but I am glad I was able to do some quick adjustments to help out Disney+.
post #7493 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
The first couple of times I did not bother taking pictures. Last night the shadows came back and here are the pics.
The shadows are placed completely differently this time. Last time they were only on the right part of the screen all the way top to bottom.

I have owned the 65" r617 since it was released, and only in the past month since the latest update have I noticed that.
It happened once and goes away when you you reboot so hopefully its a software bug.
Even if it turns out to be hardware going bad, I didn't pay that much for the TV and it has outperformed for a budget chinese brand.
post #7494 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Hey guys, Haven't been lurking much as I haven't had any issues. Still loving the TV (65R617) since May of last year. Just wanted to post a quick experience I had trying out things on Disney+. I started watching The Mandalorian without changing any settings I had already done for DV based on 4K discs and Netflix/Prime. I was underwhelmed by the picture quality. It just seemed dim and unimpressive overall. No pop. After finishing episode 4 last night, I perused the movies section, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier was there. That movie has a great opening scene with some great action on a ship at night.

It gets to the sweeping shots around the boat deck, and it is just very dark, and I know I am not seeing everything I should be seeing. I've found I like the pic mode on HDR/DV Normal. I switched it to Bright out of curiosity. That auto set the color temp to cool. I pushed that back to warm, and I also ended up taking the brightness down to 45 (from 50 I think was the preset). Backlight at 100, Contrast at 100, Sharpness at 20, Color at around 50 (I think). Anyway, what I ultimately found was a much improved, much more dynamic picture with clear HDR highlights. Noting I am in a completely dark room.

I am not saying you will like these settings. I am not saying they are objectively correct based on what a pro calibrator would do. I am just saying, at first, my standard settings on Disney+ looked dismal. These settings made me enjoy the picture much more. I am fully aware I may have to make some adjustments with DV content from other sources, but I am glad I was able to do some quick adjustments to help out Disney+.

I find Dolby vision is too dark/dim compared to HDR10, so I disable DV and force HDR10 via the secret menu.

Some DV titles look ok, but when I switch to HDR, they really pop (e.g. Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4k on Vudu).
Some DV titles are way too dark and crushed but look fine in HDR (Cabin in the Woods 4k on Vudu).
Some DV titles are just plain messed up on DV but are fine in HDR (Supiria 4k on Prime).

I usually use HDR Normal or Bright with modern digitally shot movies, it really pops.
I still find HDR Movie works well for older 4k movies shot on analogue film since the film grain is too noisy on normal/bright.
Ben23 likes this.
post #7495 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Let's hope it's nothing trivial. I agree, these tv's are the next best thing to sliced bread. I am really looking forward to QLED, and what is to come. However longevity is also important.
post #7496 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Yeah it took me like five times, but each one kept improving over the last until the sixth attempt which came out to 1.07 at which point I kept the previous 0.97 or 0.92 can't remember exactly the number but it was one of those two as my current calibration.

I also used an S7 and got it down to .58 I think (it was .5 something) on my second attempt. My set is located in the basement and it was during the evening last night with no lights on in the room. Not sure if that helped or not but it seemed to. The picture looks great and I noticed that I can now use DV Dark again. I had been using DV Normal for quite a while. Tested some additional dark scenes with Blade Runner (1982) and Dolby Vision Dark looked really good.

Last edited by Panic 66; 12-04-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #7497 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post
Quote:
Yeah it took me like five times, but each one kept improving over the last until the sixth attempt which came out to 1.07 at which point I kept the previous 0.97 or 0.92 can't remember exactly the number but it was one of those two as my current calibration.

I also used an S7 and got it down to .58 I think (it was .5 something) on my second attempt. My set is located in the basement and it was during the evening last night with no lights on in the room. Not sure if that helped or not but it seemed to. The picture looks great and I noticed that I can now use DV Dark again. I had been using DV Normal for quite a while. Tested some additional dark scenes with Blade Runner (1982) and Dolby Vision Dark looked really good.
Yeah I would have tried some more, but the S7 wasn't my phone and it was Turkey time.
post #7498 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. Hlg is supported. But I know my YouTube app has not been updated yet to the version that works with HLG. But I did receive hdr from some hlg test files.

Sent from my Galaxy S10
What media player were you using to play HLG files? I've tried playing the cymatic jazz HLG clip (downloaded on ES FIle explorer) and both VLC for Fire TV and Plex are unable to play the clip in HLG. It's only playing in standard Rec. 709. Thanks in advance.
post #7499 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 03:22 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked: 6217
Quote:
Four times in one month would concern me. I've seen the issue with mine before. But it had only happened two or three times during a six month period. And so far it has not happened since an update back in June.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7500 of 7516 Old 12-04-2019, 03:25 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked: 6217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
What media player were you using to play HLG files? I've tried playing the cymatic jazz HLG clip (downloaded on ES FIle explorer) and both VLC for Fire TV and Plex are unable to play the clip in HLG. It's only playing in standard Rec. 709. Thanks in advance.
I was using my Sony x800 UHD BD player. But I needed to connect it directly to the TV. Since my Onkyo receiver doesn't support HLG.
And I think I may have also used the on board media player in the TV to try it.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page