TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 251 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3889Likes

post #7501 of 7777 Old 12-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I was using my Sony x800 UHD BD player. But I needed to connect it directly to the TV. Since my Onkyo receiver doesn't support HLG.
And I think I may have also used the on board media player in the TV to try it.
I am trying to download the cymatic jazz via ES File Explorer on the fire tv stick 4k. Is there a specific media player I can use. It should be the same as using a usb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 7777 Old 12-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was using my Sony x800 UHD BD player. But I needed to connect it directly to the TV. Since my Onkyo receiver doesn't support HLG.
And I think I may have also used the on board media player in the TV to try it.
I am trying to download the cymatic jazz via ES File Explorer on the fire tv stick 4k. Is there a specific media player I can use? It should be the same as using a usb.
post #7503 of 7777 Old 12-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassct View Post
Tried hardwired today. It must be something with my Google WiFi mesh network. The Roku app worked fine and connected right away. I guess I'll give up for a while unless I think of something that might work. Bummer though, wanted to give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Did you try uninstalling the app and reinstalling?

When my sister is home I'll try it with her S10Plus and report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7504 of 7777 Old 12-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I have loved my 6 series since I picked it up 7 months ago. Today while playing on my PS4 Pro I noticed this. Not the triangle, but the wide vertical discolored area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have the same pink hue in white backgrounds as you except it's located to the left and right side of where yours are in your picture.

I will put it to you like this if you combined both of our screen areas that are effected by that pink hue on white backgrounds you wouldn't have anything but a pink background on an all white screen.
post #7505 of 7777 Old 12-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Watching Thurs night nfl football on the Roku Fox sports app now. Streaming in 4k and TV is in HDR mode. In prior weeks it was 4k Sdr. Still in the pregame show and eagerly awaiting to watch football in 4k HDR for the first time.
aaronwt likes this.
post #7506 of 7777 Old 12-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Interesting. I am getting the HDR badge as well.. I had to exit and go back into the Fox Sports channel to get color...
But once it was working... I have to admit it looks pretty darn good in HLG HDR...
I wish I could get it on the ATV4K and my LG OLED.
<Sigh> never happy I guess..
post #7507 of 7777 Old 12-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencap75 View Post
Watching Thurs night nfl football on the Roku Fox sports app now. Streaming in 4k and TV is in HDR mode. In prior weeks it was 4k Sdr. Still in the pregame show and eagerly awaiting to watch football in 4k HDR for the first time.
Yes, looks incredible in HLG. Watching it on Z9d, but working great on the TCL 6. This thing plays HLG very well.
post #7508 of 7777 Old 12-05-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Interesting. I am getting the HDR badge as well.. I had to exit and go back into the Fox Sports channel to get color...
But once it was working... I have to admit it looks pretty darn good in HLG HDR...
Why doesn’t it work on ATV? I’m just curious because I’m thinking of buying one with a LG OLED, and Fox says the 4K HDR stream is available for ATV4K.
post #7509 of 7777 Old 12-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB0801 View Post
Why doesn’t it work on ATV? I’m just curious because I’m thinking of buying one, and Fox says the 4K HDR stream is available for ATV4K.
Apple TV isn't compatible with HLG. Try the Roku app or different streamer if you have one. Right now the main streamers that play HLG are Fire tv stick, Chromecast Ultra, Roku devices, ect. Update: Chromecast Ultra does not work, but it does have HLG compatibility. Maybe there will be a future update.

Last edited by MLM87; 12-05-2019 at 08:31 PM.
post #7510 of 7777 Old 12-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Buy a fire tv stick 4k. There's your solution. It was dirt cheap on BF. Works great with HLG football.
post #7511 of 7777 Old 12-06-2019, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltitan View Post
Did you try uninstalling the app and reinstalling?

When my sister is home I'll try it with her S10Plus and report back.
Yes, tried that as well. Ended up using my son's old Galaxy S9 and it worked like a charm. Must be some security setting or conflict with another app on my S10 plus. Let me know if you get it working with S10.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #7512 of 7777 Old 12-06-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Is Thursday Night Football on the Fox Sports app free? Are Sunday games broadcasted in HLG? I’m mostly a RedZone guy but some HLG football definitely would be great!

post #7513 of 7777 Old 12-06-2019, 10:58 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9645 Post(s)
Liked: 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunupe19111 View Post
Is Thursday Night Football on the Fox Sports app free? Are Sunday games broadcasted in HLG? I’m mostly a RedZone guy but some HLG football definitely would be great!

I didn't pay anything to watch it last night from the Fox SPorts app.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7514 of 7777 Old 12-06-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I didn't pay anything to watch it last night from the Fox SPorts app.

Ok cool. I gotta try it out next week

post #7515 of 7777 Old 12-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunupe19111 View Post

Its free if you already have Fox by your cable subscriber.

I think only Thurs Night NFL and some saturday College games are in HLG. I don't think any sunday games are HDR. Even in SDR, the sunday games look better on the app then the crappy 720p broadcast.
Saunupe19111 likes this.
post #7516 of 7777 Old 12-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
Buy a fire tv stick 4k. There's your solution. It was dirt cheap on BF. Works great with HLG football.
I have too many streamers as it is...
And "was " is the operative term. Now it is more than I want spend and/or to deal with for one football game per week... and one more time this year.

I guess my dream is ONE frigging streaming box that will do what I want from it. Now I have eight different units at my disposal (10 if you count TV internal apps)... and none fits the bill.

Maybe in another year I will find something... I hope!!
post #7517 of 7777 Old 12-08-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Just got my 55" R615 set up in a spare room. This TV is really great. I have an X900F in the living room that I paid a lot more for, and this TV seems to be just as good overall. The X900F has better motion handling and more accurate colors out of the box. The TCL's Roku interface is easier to use than Android TV on the X900F. I also think that the TCL is brighter in HDR/Dolby Vision. I do have some slight DSE/vertical banding on the TCL, but it's not bad at all. Only seems to be noticeable when slowly panning across a sky in a video game, and you have to be looking for it. It's just amazing to me that I only paid $400 for this TV, while an X900F in this size would have been at least $800. This is still the best value out there.
aaronwt and bhazard like this.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #7518 of 7777 Old 12-08-2019, 08:22 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9645 Post(s)
Liked: 6332
Quote:
I have too many streamers as it is...
And "was " is the operative term. Now it is more than I want spend and/or to deal with for one football game per week... and one more time this year.

I guess my dream is ONE frigging streaming box that will do what I want from it. Now I have eight different units at my disposal (10 if you count TV internal apps)... and none fits the bill.

Maybe in another year I will find something... I hope!!
This has always been the case with streamers. There has never been one box that did it all. And any box that came close? Made compromises in several areas.
I don't see this changing anytime soon. It's been that way for a dozen years. And I expect it to be that way for many more.
giomania and MALICIOUS ONE like this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7519 of 7777 Old 12-08-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltitan View Post
Have the same pink hue in white backgrounds as you except it's located to the left and right side of where yours are in your picture.

I will put it to you like this if you combined both of our screen areas that are effected by that pink hue on white backgrounds you wouldn't have anything but a pink background on an all white screen.

TCL took less than 3 hours after I started the case to order a new screen and main board for my set.
It will be here first of the week and the tech will be out by the end of the week to “fix” the issue.

aaronwt, Bob A (SD) and TeeJay1952 like this.
post #7520 of 7777 Old 12-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
TCL took less than 3 hours after I started the case to order a new screen and main board for my set.
It will be here first of the week and the tech will be out by the end of the week to “fix” the issue.

Trying to sell $3k sets now probably forcing TCL to step up it’s customer service. Their perspective buyers will come from existing TCL owners looking to upgrade and probably not new to brand or brand ship-jumpers.
post #7521 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardennj View Post
Trying to sell $3k sets now probably forcing TCL to step up it’s customer service. Their perspective buyers will come from existing TCL owners looking to upgrade and probably not new to brand or brand ship-jumpers.
I do not agree with you at all. The 6 series is a quality product at an affordable price and it has roku. Consumers who were previously buying more expensive tv's (just about everyone), will read reviews and be drawn to TCL. Additionally, word of mouth spreads like a wildfire.
Look at Hyundai and Kia. Casper, etc...they are unicorns.
There is a lot to look forward to.
aaronwt likes this.
post #7522 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I do not agree with you at all. The 6 series is a quality product at an affordable price and it has roku. Consumers who were previously buying more expensive tv's (just about everyone), will read reviews and be drawn to TCL. Additionally, word of mouth spreads like a wildfire.

All my past TV's were name brands (Samsungs, Panasonic), and I would never think to buy a cheap chinese TV.
But with the glowing reviews (and my beloved Samsung plasma bit the dust), I decided to give TCL a try. It was dirt cheap so nothing to lose, and so far its overperforming for a cheap chinese brand.
aaronwt likes this.
post #7523 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I own 3 TCLs, and I'm not saying they don't offer value. They can be good but have a noteworthy risk factor and not a great reputation yet. I know a lot about them. 1 of 3 has been a total quality flop. It causes me even though I like TCL to pause as they approach other brands with some history. Though I don't think the Korean car companies are a similar comparison, I'll run with it. What did they have to do to make headway in the US market - offer 10 year warranties that no other makers offered and low-priced cars for several years before introducing high-end models. At that, it's well-known that people who buy Korean high-end models are often buying their 2nd or 3rd model and are previous buyers. So really the Korean car makers struggled with reliability until very recently. TCL has that problem.

Samsung and Sony also have reliability problems here and there, but they also have reliability history with a lot of buyers. That reliability history may not night-day better, but it exists. They've already gone through TCL's pathway. The only way TCL could have shortened that curve would have been to 100% nail the quality and customer service from day 1. They didn't.

Casper isn't a good comparison because it's not competing with other mattress makers. It's competes by it's ease of purchase and keeps buyers out of mattress stores. People hated the buying experience more than their mattresses. And Casper's just one of many. They did not want to have to do sales through stores because they couldn't afford to or want to compete for floor space. TCL doesn't compete for floor space either - at BBY, Costco, and other brick-mortar retailers, TCL almost never gets premium space or attention.

So simply put, at this time TCL doesn't have a sales model or warranty or any extras that make people want to make their first purchase. Buy a Samsung Q-series even at Costco or other warehouse clubs and you get a 5-yr warranty. TCL still stuck at the 1+1. Again, missed opportunity.

Again, I have TCLs because I understand a bit more than the person who just goes and buys the brightest display in the showroom. I'd consider the 75-inch Q model. But it's a hard sell given that I've had to work to get good TCLs. People don't spend top-dollar to work for a good TV.
post #7524 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All my past TV's were name brands (Samsungs, Panasonic), and I would never think to buy a cheap chinese TV.
But with the glowing reviews (and my beloved Samsung plasma bit the dust), I decided to give TCL a try. It was dirt cheap so nothing to lose, and so far its overperforming for a cheap chinese brand.
Agreed, we all had Sony Samsung Panasonic, Sharp, etc, and we forced to pay a higher price for a comparable quality.
Now TCL has become a global brand. In my mind, Hisense is now the "cheap Chinese brand" TCL once was.
post #7525 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I own 3 TCLs, and I'm not saying they don't offer value. They can be good but have a noteworthy risk factor and not a great reputation yet. I know a lot about them. 1 of 3 has been a total quality flop. It causes me even though I like TCL to pause as they approach other brands with some history. Though I don't think the Korean car companies are a similar comparison, I'll run with it. What did they have to do to make headway in the US market - offer 10 year warranties that no other makers offered and low-priced cars for several years before introducing high-end models. At that, it's well-known that people who buy Korean high-end models are often buying their 2nd or 3rd model and are previous buyers. So really the Korean car makers struggled with reliability until very recently. TCL has that problem.

Samsung and Sony also have reliability problems here and there, but they also have reliability history with a lot of buyers. That reliability history may not night-day better, but it exists. They've already gone through TCL's pathway. The only way TCL could have shortened that curve would have been to 100% nail the quality and customer service from day 1. They didn't.

Casper isn't a good comparison because it's not competing with other mattress makers. It's competes by it's ease of purchase and keeps buyers out of mattress stores. People hated the buying experience more than their mattresses. And Casper's just one of many. They did not want to have to do sales through stores because they couldn't afford to or want to compete for floor space. TCL doesn't compete for floor space either - at BBY, Costco, and other brick-mortar retailers, TCL almost never gets premium space or attention.

So simply put, at this time TCL doesn't have a sales model or warranty or any extras that make people want to make their first purchase. Buy a Samsung Q-series even at Costco or other warehouse clubs and you get a 5-yr warranty. TCL still stuck at the 1+1. Again, missed opportunity.

Again, I have TCLs because I understand a bit more than the person who just goes and buys the brightest display in the showroom. I'd consider the 75-inch Q model. But it's a hard sell given that I've had to work to get good TCLs. People don't spend top-dollar to work for a good TV.
The day Samsung Sony etc, come out with comparable quality PQ, at same price, and offer Roku, maybe I will look back.
I agree TCL has to make progress, but it seems that the 6 series has only been out since 2017?
I agree about floor space, but then again if they did compete, prices would be much higher.
Possibly they could offer a longer warranty in the future? They need to fix DSE or whites and light colors...
Don't agree with "bed in a box brands" and direct to consumer, they disrupted a whole industry, Nearly brought the S brands to their knees, and disrupted retailers.
post #7526 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Did anyone manage to use the IPQ calibration app? I have a Pixel 2Xl, and everything worked but my score is higher(worse) than it was before. Before I was getting about 2.7, and now I have a 3.51. Do the arrows on the ipq app have to be completely aligned with the rectacle on Ipq roku app on the tv? Any help would be great. I'm not sure how accurate this thing is.
post #7527 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The day Samsung Sony etc, come out with comparable quality PQ, at same price, and offer Roku, maybe I will look back.
I agree TCL has to make progress, but it seems that the 6 series has only been out since 2017?
I agree about floor space, but then again if they did compete, prices would be much higher.
Possibly they could offer a longer warranty in the future? They need to fix DSE or whites and light colors...
Don't agree with "bed in a box brands" and direct to consumer, they disrupted a whole industry, Nearly brought the S brands to their knees, and disrupted retailers.
Only point I was making is that the bed-in-box brands didn't really disrupt and industry (bed buying still exists), they just changed the distribution model. TCLs not shown the appetite or capability to do that. What they need is to do a buyer-flip like Goldstar Electronics did when it transformed from being that company to LG. LG still has issues, but it's making itself known as a premium brand, largely through warranty/quality backing and getting people who bought for value low-end to buy value high-end.

To be "disruptive," they have to do things the big makers don't want to do. Roku is one step, and it's gotten them far more buyers and loyalty than they could have imagined. I just think they have to realize the next step isn't "hoping" people will wake up to them as a brand. They need to do something eye-opening. Want to change the curve - they could offer existing owners to buy the 75"Q model by the Big Game or 7/1/20 at a 30-50% insiders discount. They could offer flash sales or TCL day at a retailer.

They don't have to buy retailer floor space. Heck, I bet a good % of TCL sales come from online purchases. They just need to use retailers to get visualizations. Again, it's rare to see a TCL in a BBY Magnolia Room. Don't expect it. No reason they can't get the space at the entrance to the Magnolia Rooms though.

Ultimately we agree that TCL's fine and want it to do even better. It's the how that's going to determine their market shift. They're at the price point where the current value-model distribution, sales, and marketing simply don't work. Remember, there's a robust market for Simmons Beautyrest Black. It's not being hurt by Casper bed-in-box because at that price point the customer doesn't want to say they got it from a box.
post #7528 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
So this is the fourth time in one month, these shadows appear as we watch tv.
The first couple of times I did not bother taking pictures. Last night the shadows came back and here are the pics.
The shadows are placed completely differently this time. Last time they were only on the right part of the screen all the way top to bottom.
Now they seem to be on both sides.
Any ideas on what is causing this?
If you reboot the TV they go away.
This happened to mine yesterday. TV is only a couple days old and I suddenly noticed 2 dark spots I hadn’t seen before. I was getting ready to call Costco to swap it out but I rebooted after seeing your post and spots are gone. Strange that software could cause blobs in the panel. If it keeps happening I’ll have Costco swap it while it’s in the return period.
post #7529 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 01:02 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
I own 3 TCLs, and I'm not saying they don't offer value. They can be good but have a noteworthy risk factor and not a great reputation yet. I know a lot about them. 1 of 3 has been a total quality flop. It causes me even though I like TCL to pause...

the Korean car makers struggled with reliability until very recently. TCL has that problem....

Samsung and Sony also have reliability problems here and there, but they also have reliability history with a lot of buyers. That reliability history may not night-day better, but it exists....
Your point regarding Hyundai reliability is spot on and easily documented. Television brand reliability is much harder, if not impossible, to document. Although Consumer reports ranks and assigns a reliability number to TV brands, they no longer tie these numbers to any statistical scale. This leaves public perception, anecdotal evidence, and personal history, none of which provide a valid statistical model of reliability. We all wish there were some hard numbers for reliability.

Quote:
TCL doesn't compete for floor space either - at BBY, Costco, and other brick-mortar retailers, TCL almost never gets premium space or attention.
This is true for Best Buy. Samsung, LG, and Sony have contracts with Best Buy to have their sets displayed in specified ways in specified places. They pay; which means you - the customer - pays for this pride of place, but in any of my three Costcos, this is not the case. Prominent display changes constantly, going to whichever brands have particularly good deals. TCL often gets the prominent display of the week.

Quote:
...Buy a Samsung Q-series even at Costco or other warehouse clubs and you get a 5-yr warranty. TCL still stuck at the 1+1.
True. But 1+1 is the same warranty as Sony and LG.

Quote:
So simply put, at this time TCL doesn't have a sales model or warranty or any extras that make people want to make their first purchase........

......Ultimately we agree that TCL's fine and want it to do even better....

They're at the price point where the current value-model distribution, sales, and marketing simply don't work.
You make many good and reasonable points, but I can't see how you arrive at these conclusions. As of June of this year, TCL is now the leader in units shipped in North America - with 26% of the North American market. They must be doing something right, and at least for the present, their current model seems to be working quite well. Even without the "extras" you desire, they must be convincing someone to want to make their first purchase.

Pip
aaronwt likes this.
post #7530 of 7777 Old 12-12-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Your point regarding Hyundai reliability is spot on and easily documented. Television brand reliability is much harder, if not impossible, to document. Although Consumer reports ranks and assigns a reliability number to TV brands, they no longer tie these numbers to any statistical scale. This leaves public perception, anecdotal evidence, and personal history, none of which provide a valid statistical model of reliability. We all wish there were some hard numbers for reliability.

This is true for Best Buy. Samsung, LG, and Sony have contracts with Best Buy to have their sets displayed in specified ways in specified places. They pay; which means you - the customer - pays for this pride of place, but in any of my three Costcos, this is not the case. Prominent display changes constantly, going to whichever brands have particularly good deals. TCL often gets the prominent display of the week.

True. But 1+1 is the same warranty as Sony and LG.

You make many good and reasonable points, but I can't see how you arrive at these conclusions. As of June of this year, TCL is now the leader in units shipped in North America - with 26% of the North American market. They must be doing something right, and at least for the present, their current model seems to be working quite well. Even without the "extras" you desire, they must be convincing someone to want to make their first purchase.

Pip
My point is that TCL's model for selling value and getting market penetration does not translate into automatic acceptance of them as a high-end TV. It's not that I think they're incapable or offer anything less or worse than the known makers. It's that they lack the history and good reliability record to jump into premium right away. It took almost a year after introduction of the 613/615/617 series for people to really start buying them. In that year, many were bought because they represent very good value at very competitive pricing. Now for the newer Q models, take away "very good value" and very competitive pricing and you have TCL competing without in-store selling support. A lot of the 75" 6 series were purchased at well below the $1700-ish MSRP. Premium for TCL, but far behind the market selling TVs at 2-3x that on the high end.

I'm a TCL owner/fan, but even I can't convince people to buy a Q series at $2k or $3k. Trying to do so just doesn't acknowledge that the Samsung, Sony, and LG can always drop their price to match TCL. And they still have OLEDs to maintain even higher priced/margin buyers. Growing to 26% of sales in the value market just means people are willing to put them in secondary rooms. Home theaters and family rooms is where they're trying to go, but it's just a different buying decision for the other rooms than the big TV in the main room.

Lots of people buy Hyundai cars, but that's still never made them a premium car maker. And if you're patient, you can get significant discounts on them compared to other makers. Again though a success story in many ways, their first generation of cars suffered from build-quality and poor customer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page