TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3889Likes

post #7741 of 7777 Old 01-13-2020, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
sometimes, some receivers have "auto sensing" on the hdmi ports meaning that after a set amount of time that no audio/video activity is sensed if another port starts giving signal audio/video, the receiver will switch to it.
not saying this is your issue, but, try to turn off the cable box when not watching it. I suspect this will keep your ARC audio with the receiver set to tv/cd which is what it needs to be when streaming. if you look at the receiver and it says cbl/sat then it has switched inputs.

if there is no auto sensing, then, when you switch to want to stream from your TCL, you must manually select tv/cd input on your receiver if it doesn't do so automatically. that's the input for ARC audio.

see if there is a feature in CEC to turn off "auto switching/auto sensing" turn it off. if not, only turn on the cable box when your going to watch cable. that may be your only work around. shouldn't have to, but, you just might have to. just look at the receiver display first to see what input your on.

best of luck, keep us posted.
I saw this post quoted and it made me wonder...

I have had zero issues with ARC and my Denon 2400 but I'm always either streaming via the TCL/ROKU apps or using the BluRay player. On start up the TV comes on then the FIOS box then the AVR with FIOS as the default. If we turn off the AVR the FIOS signal passes through just fine and sound is available through the TV speakers. I rarely watch FIOS but when my wife sits down to watch that's pretty much all she uses.

While my wife was watching her travel and house shopping shows this weekend she complained that the TV kept turning off. She basically set the channel and left it going without any interaction so I thought maybe it just timed out on her but I watched it happen again after getting it working for her again. It turns out the TV wasn't shutting down, the input on the AVR was switching from FIOS to TV audio but the TV was still on AVR. Turning off the AVR solved the problem for her so we left it at that, but I'm wondering what the cause might be.

The only odd interactions I've had with the TV is it seemingly turning on by itself but I attribute that to cats jostling the remotes. Any thoughts? Is this just one of those ARC things or is it a TCL thing? I don't have any issues with the TV so I'm not gong to put a whole lot of effort into troubleshooting but it does aggravate the wife and ...well...the opposite of "Happy wife happy life" is just as true...

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)

Last edited by smdelaney; 01-16-2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 7777 Old 01-13-2020, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencap75 View Post
To force hdr10

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/commen...ionhdr_on_the/

Netflix has both DV and Hdr10 options depending on which HDR mode the TV is in. I find Hdr10 looks stunning and DV is washed out, so I always force hdr10.
Could be your display or settings, that certainly is NOT true for me. DV looks phenomenal.
khcoach likes this.
post #7743 of 7777 Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Could be your display or settings, that certainly is NOT true for me. DV looks phenomenal.

Same for me on both my Sony 900F and the 55” R617. I’m using dark DV because it looks most natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7744 of 7777 Old 01-14-2020, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just to confirm.
I used the IPQ on an Ipad, and it asked me to take 6 pictures. I did that, and it showed me a picture of a gray/white screen with a black border.
After taking the 6 pictures nothing happened.
Do i take another 6?
There's no message, nothing.
Doesn't the calibration app tell you it has finished? Or give a result?
post #7745 of 7777 Old 01-14-2020, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Guys,

Has anyone managed to get Atmos with TCL 617R and Samsung Q70R Soundbar using ARC?
post #7746 of 7777 Old 01-14-2020, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

TCL is a cheap chinese brand with questionable quality control so I would not be shocked if DV is broken on my panel.

But forced HDR10 looks stunning.
DV is better after IPQ calibration, but it pales compared to HDR10 on my panel.

I was watching some 4k hdr10 content the other day, and even my AV-not-caring wife said the TV looks like the "Costco TV" (big OLED they show off ).

Last edited by pencap75; 01-14-2020 at 08:20 AM.
post #7747 of 7777 Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9645 Post(s)
Liked: 6332
Quote:
TCL is a cheap chinese brand with questionable quality control so I would not be shocked if DV is broken on my panel.

But forced HDR10 looks stunning.
DV is better after IPQ calibration, but it pales compared to HDR10 on my panel.

I was watching some 4k hdr10 content the other day, and even my AV-not-caring wife said the TV looks like the "Costco TV" (big OLED they show off ).
They made a change to DV sometime last year with an update. Maybe the Summer update? Not sure, but things were different with DV after that update. And not for the better.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7748 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

It's not about DV working or not working.
The Witcher looks superb in DV, I found Dracula to be too dark.
I think this will be the same on all tv's, no matter which brand.
I do find dark mode on Netflix to be too dark so i use normal DV or even bright.
post #7749 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 06:43 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I do find dark mode on Netflix to be too dark so i use normal DV or even bright.

I would still give forced HDR10 a shot with Netflix HDR content, especially darker shot content like Dracula.
I tried to live with Netflix/Prime/Vudu Dolby vision- IPQ calibration, gamma adjust, DV bright mode, etc... because DV is suppose to be superior to open HDR right? But on my panel, HDR10 looks so much more spectacular, that I just disabled DV altogether. TV was cheap so its not like a paid a premium to get DV, so I can live with disabling it.
post #7750 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would still give forced HDR10 a shot with Netflix DV content.
I tried to live with Netflix/Prime/Vudu Dolby vision- IPQ calibration, gamma adjust, DV bright mode, etc... because DV is suppose to be superior to open HDR right? But on my panel, HDR10 looks so much more spectacular, that I just disabled DV altogether. TV was cheap so its not like a paid a premium to get DV, so I can live with disabling it.
I have always thought that Amazon HDR looks better than DV. I will try to disable it then.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #7751 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I have always thought that Amazon HDR looks better than DV. I will try to disable it then.
How does one disable Dolby Vision?
post #7752 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Just to confirm.
I used the IPQ on an Ipad, and it asked me to take 6 pictures. I did that, and it showed me a picture of a gray/white screen with a black border.
After taking the 6 pictures nothing happened.
Do i take another 6?
There's no message, nothing.
Doesn't the calibration app tell you it has finished? Or give a result?
You take another 6. After the first 6 the app (not the tv screen) should say "Great job! Phase 1 is complete" and then some more text, along with a "Continue" button.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #7753 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurunner View Post
How does one disable Dolby Vision?
post #7739 on the previous page
post #7754 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 AM

Thanks!

Here are the commands from the Homescreen:

HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW

Use this, go to Change HDR Mode change to Open HDR.
post #7755 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I tried it last night and honestly didn't see much difference on my set. Granted, I only tried The Mandalorian which is a little dull anyway.
post #7756 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 620
This sounds intriguing as I upped to bright mode to deal with The Mandalorian and DV movies on Disney+. I thought it looked fine after that and even thought Dracula on Netflix looked pretty darn good. I'll turn off DV tonight when I get home, see if I can tell a difference, and report back. I need to watch the last episode of Dracula so will be a good test as I finished up the 2nd last night. Fingers crossed...
post #7757 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Can you give a timestamp and specific episode that you think is too dark? I checked this show out after running the IPQ calibration on my set and reading your comments here and wanted to see if the calibration helped. Everything looked fine to me. I use RTINGS settings (DV Dark, brightness on highest setting, 2.2 gamma) and from the couple of scenes I checked out of Dracula it looked really good and blacks/shadows weren't a problem.
post #7758 of 7777 Old 01-15-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
I use DV: Bright and Brightness: Dark. This gives me the best shadow detail on my set.

I did an A/B between my own settings and the typical DV: Dark + Brightness: Brighter, and the shadowed areas were clipped and too dark. When I switched it back to DV: Bright and Brightness: Dark, all the shadow detail came back. Don't know how Rtings and the other sites got it wrong, but somehow they did.
blynott likes this.
post #7759 of 7777 Old 01-16-2020, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

DV is definitely too dark for me.

So was watching Messiah last night beginning of episode 3, the first few minutes. It was very dark. So i exited Netflix and went to the home screen (where all the apps are).
I tried
HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW, and nothing happened.
Is this supposed to open a new window? Or secret menu?

The app screen simply stayed on the screen.
post #7760 of 7777 Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
I use DV: Bright and Brightness: Dark. This gives me the best shadow detail on my set.

I did an A/B between my own settings and the typical DV: Dark + Brightness: Brighter, and the shadowed areas were clipped and too dark. When I switched it back to DV: Bright and Brightness: Dark, all the shadow detail came back. Don't know how Rtings and the other sites got it wrong, but somehow they did.

That’s interesting. I gave it a shot and I don’t think it looks awful. I got some noise on my end around some bright sections but it did seem to be ok for DV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7761 of 7777 Old 01-16-2020, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval85 View Post
Hello Guys,

Has anyone managed to get Atmos with TCL 617R and Samsung Q70R Soundbar using ARC?
Anyone?
post #7762 of 7777 Old 01-16-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
DV is definitely too dark for me.

So was watching Messiah last night beginning of episode 3, the first few minutes. It was very dark. So i exited Netflix and went to the home screen (where all the apps are).
I tried
HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW, and nothing happened.
Is this supposed to open a new window? Or secret menu?

The app screen simply stayed on the screen.
Maybe you’re not going through the sequence fast enough?

Here is what pops up at the end of the button presses....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C0AEC3E-75D2-4AA4-B13A-3D84EC546C9D.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	2670676   Click image for larger version

Name:	A05C0EEE-795B-4F7A-B034-0B5F54594AC8.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	2670678  
post #7763 of 7777 Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 AM

... or too fast. It took me a couple of tries to get the sequence to work initially using a harmony remote.
post #7764 of 7777 Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 AM

I still haven't gotten any meaningful response to the Natural Cinema/Action Smoothing/Dynamic Contrast bug. Support keeps sending automated emails saying they're going to close the ticket since it's been a while and they assume it's resolved. The suggestion from the forum rep was to reset the tv to see if that fixes it. Doesn't seem like much of a fix to me since they have no idea if it will work and if it does they have no idea if it will happen again.
post #7765 of 7777 Old 01-16-2020, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Thanks, I tried that tonight and it looked the best I have seen! Bob

Bob

65" TCL-Roku R613, Philips 7302 UHD Blu ray, Yamaha TSR-5830, Wavecrest speakers, Speedwoofer 10s
post #7766 of 7777 Old 01-17-2020, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

So last night, I spent a couple of hours going in and out of the secret menu and watching different shows. After about 10 times you access the secret menu, the button presses and speed at which you press buttons, becomes instinctive.

There's basically 3 options you can choose from:

-All DV and HDR off. This will turn it off whether it's Amazon, Netflix, you tube etc...no HDR or DV on anything.

-Open HDR (WILL FORCE hdr on either Netflix or Amazon) regardless of whether it's DV or HDR.

-Dolby vision, which will give DV on netflix, and HDR on Amazon (This is the standard factory preset the TV is delivered with).

This is what I found, and it's quite confusing.

1. Dracula looked much better without any open HDR and Dolby. It did not look too dark. I used normal mode all around.
2. Jack Ryan looked exponentially better in HDR, than without HDR.
3. The Messiah looked much better in DV than open HDR, and actually did not look that good when DV was turned off.
4. All you tube videos (go pro, 8k, 4k hdr, Oled tests, honey and wood, Sony food fizzles etc), all the ones we love) Definitely look better in HDR)

In all cases, my tv, in a dark room with ambient lighting behind it, DOES NOT DO WELL ON DARK MODES. It looks better on Normal and normal HDR.

I am actually questioning the Rtings calibration settings....maybe they were good a year or two ago and have become obsolete??
Ben23 likes this.
post #7767 of 7777 Old 01-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

it would be so simple to have a Roku button on remote simply turning/toggling HDR modes, on off, instead of having to access a secret menu. Then again, that would entirely defeat the purpose of having a secret menu in the first place.
aaronwt and Ben23 like this.
post #7768 of 7777 Old 01-17-2020, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
So last night, I spent a couple of hours going in and out of the secret menu and watching different shows. After about 10 times you access the secret menu, the button presses and speed at which you press buttons, becomes instinctive.

There's basically 3 options you can choose from:

-All DV and HDR off. This will turn it off whether it's Amazon, Netflix, you tube etc...no HDR or DV on anything.

-Open HDR (WILL FORCE hdr on either Netflix or Amazon) regardless of whether it's DV or HDR.

-Dolby vision, which will give DV on netflix, and HDR on Amazon (This is the standard factory preset the TV is delivered with).

This is what I found, and it's quite confusing.

1. Dracula looked much better without any open HDR and Dolby. It did not look too dark. I used normal mode all around.
2. Jack Ryan looked exponentially better in HDR, than without HDR.
3. The Messiah looked much better in DV than open HDR, and actually did not look that good when DV was turned off.
4. All you tube videos (go pro, 8k, 4k hdr, Oled tests, honey and wood, Sony food fizzles etc), all the ones we love) Definitely look better in HDR)

In all cases, my tv, in a dark room with ambient lighting behind it, DOES NOT DO WELL ON DARK MODES. It looks better on Normal and normal HDR.

I am actually questioning the Rtings calibration settings....maybe they were good a year or two ago and have become obsolete??
I wanted to go in and troubleshoot like this but just couldn't devote the time to it. I did switch to "HDR open" and watched the last episode of Dracula. Noting for the first two episodes and ever since watching The Mandalorian, I have been set to DV Bright mode, which definitely helped The Mandalorian and Captain America: The Winter Soldier (also on Disney+). So Dracula honestly looked good to me with good detail in dark scenes, and I never felt like I wasn't seeing everything I was supposed to.

Anyway, last episode of Dracula...so given the settings and tonal shift of the show from the first two episodes to this one (I won't spoil anything, but you know what I mean if you've seen it), it's not really a fair comparison. However, I will definitely admit that the HDR aspects certainly seemed to have a LOT of pop and vibrancy versus prior DV viewings on Netflix. It makes me want to go back and check out something like Daredevil to see what I was missing.

I also thought about seeing Planet Earth 2 on Netflix just after buying my TV and upgrading my Netflix subscription. That viewing blew me away more than anything else I have watched on Netflix, perhaps to this day, and I think it's telling that it is HDR and NOT DV. At any rate, it's difficult at this point to trust the TV's ability to properly process DV.
post #7769 of 7777 Old 01-17-2020, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

I will also revisit Planet Earth 2 tonight. I remember the picture quality was spectacular. If i recall, that was simply 1080? Without any HDR or DV?
post #7770 of 7777 Old 01-17-2020, 07:42 AM

I was using the Rtings settings and still am mostly but for hdr I think you need to go with the brighter settings. While it looked good before it did seem a bit dark. I think using a dark mode for hdr content holds the tv back from showing the true quality of hdr. It doesn't make everything too bright, it just makes full use of the backlight when necessary.

That being said, I have a friend with a regular (non hdr, 1080p) samsung lcd who complained that he could barely see anything during some scenes in Daredevil and even with the dark hdr settings it looked pretty good on my set and I had zero problems with seeing everything in the scene.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page