TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 269 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3988Likes

post #8041 of 8061 Old 05-14-2020, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review

Maybe someone can help me. I have the 55”, and today, out of nowhere, when using the OTA input, the program description is black on the black background and can’t be read. I can faintly see it, the rest of the info, the channel number, time, etc are still fine. I’ve tried rebooting 3 times, rescanning channels, no help.

Edit: Found the answer. Someone on Reddit helped. Had to change the Theme and then change it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jay Stone; 05-15-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 8061 Old 05-16-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
I have had this issue with my new 4-series in the bedroom, randomly for a couple months. Essentially locking up the TV while it continues through it's reboot process. Last night, it just happened with my 617. Will try the reboot through the menu.

Update: My bedroom 4 series has had significantly more lockup/reboots than my 6, but they are both still suffering from this issue more frequently. Even after doing the restart from the menu. I have not unplugged or reset to factory on either one yet.
Appears that it must be a software issue?

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #8043 of 8061 Old 05-16-2020, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 682
If they are both doing it to some extent I'd look for something common to both - odds are your WiFi. My Set is connected via CAT5, but I recall a issue or two when it was on WiFI. Also explore what you have connected to both, cable or SAT box and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8044 of 8061 Old 05-18-2020, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks Matt L, I think in my case it is an issue with my WIFI. I changed from 5 GH to 2.4 GH and the problem seems to have gone away. Now I'll have to change back and see if that was the problem.

Bob

65" TCL-Roku R613, Philips 7302 UHD Blu ray, Yamaha TSR-5830, Wavecrest speakers, Speedwoofer 10s, DEf Tech BP6B
post #8045 of 8061 Old 05-18-2020, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Finally got off my rear end and got an older apk version of TCL's iPQ since the newer iterations won't work on my phone. There were two sites referenced here some time ago that I'd made note of. One site no longer has any iPQ apks. The other, APKPure had v1.048 that I needed. Works fine so I'm back in business with my non-recommended by TCL smartphone.

-=[Bob]=-
TCL 65" 65R615, 49" 49S515, 32" L32HDF11TA
My systems

Last edited by Bob A (SD); 05-18-2020 at 05:23 PM.
post #8046 of 8061 Old 05-19-2020, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I picked up a display 65r613 from Costco over the weekend. I want to thank everyone on here for providing so much information to reference. I'm not all through the thread, but I am working on it. I have spent the last few days dialing in settings (and accidentally erasing them and doing again ). I'm pretty happy with the picture, but can't decide which picture mode looks the best. I've tried overriding Dolby Vision via the secret menu and it didn't seem to change much for me. It looked about the same. For what I paid, this is a steal. My only complaint is the stutter on youtube video when panning. It seems specific to youtube. Does anyone have any other sources for expert settings beside rtings.com? All the other reference points seem limited to the basic settings. Thanks!
post #8047 of 8061 Old 05-19-2020, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdaddy View Post
I picked up a display 65r613 from Costco over the weekend. I want to thank everyone on here for providing so much information to reference. I'm not all through the thread, but I am working on it. I have spent the last few days dialing in settings (and accidentally erasing them and doing again ). I'm pretty happy with the picture, but can't decide which picture mode looks the best. I've tried overriding Dolby Vision via the secret menu and it didn't seem to change much for me. It looked about the same. For what I paid, this is a steal. My only complaint is the stutter on youtube video when panning. It seems specific to youtube. Does anyone have any other sources for expert settings beside rtings.com? All the other reference points seem limited to the basic settings. Thanks!

Download the ipq calibration app on your cellphone and let it do the work. Picture looks fantastic after

post #8048 of 8061 Old 05-19-2020, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Stone View Post
Download the ipq calibration app on your cellphone and let it do the work. Picture looks fantastic after

If you have one of the select FEW phones that it works on.... Yeah I am bitter!
aaronwt likes this.
post #8049 of 8061 Old 05-20-2020, 04:29 AM

So every morning I wake up and my expert settings are gone. It defaults to store mode as well. It keeps them while I am watching, but appears to lose them when turned off. Has anyone else had this issue?

post #8050 of 8061 Old 05-20-2020, 10:50 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9918 Post(s)
Liked: 6551
No but that would be a PITA. And is not normal.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8051 of 8061 Old 05-20-2020, 11:58 AM

TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No but that would be a PITA. And is not normal.

I know what it is now. The TV is in Store mode. I have not been able to find the instructions for getting it out of store mode. I really don't want to do a factory reset, but that may be the answer.

Update: I reset to factory settings and that resolved the issue. The setup menu asks whether this is a home or store setup.
aaronwt, Bob A (SD) and solarrdadd like this.

Last edited by Ausdaddy; 05-20-2020 at 03:31 PM.
post #8052 of 8061 Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
If you have one of the select FEW phones that it works on.... Yeah I am bitter!

As mentioned by others, you can get an older version which DOES work on phones other than those recommended by TCL by going to APKPure and D/Ling v1.048. Works just fine on my Honor 7X android 8 phone.

-=[Bob]=-
TCL 65" 65R615, 49" 49S515, 32" L32HDF11TA
My systems
post #8053 of 8061 Old 05-22-2020, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) View Post
As mentioned by others, you can get an older version which DOES work on phones other than those recommended by TCL by going to APKPure and D/Ling v1.048. Works just fine on my Honor 7X android 8 phone.
I downloaded the APK. I just have not gotten to install it ... or try to on one of my Galaxy 6, 8, or 10 phones. A quick look at the instructions did not look like it is a quick process. That having been said. I realize that I have an iPhone 7 that I only have used as a remote for the ATV4K. Looking at the TCL web site, it appears that it is compatible. I will have to try it. Though I am pretty happy with my current settings based on Redit. Too bad there is not a way to save the current settings. Just in case I don't like the changes.

I wonder what the motivation for the tight limits on Android compatibility is. It is obvious that the app does work fine with a range of android phones. So why put out a revision that excludes a huge number of devices??

Any way, thanks for the refresh of the info for getting the APK.
post #8054 of 8061 Old 05-23-2020, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
I wonder what the motivation for the tight limits on Android compatibility is. It is obvious that the app does work fine with a range of android phones. So why put out a revision that excludes a huge number of devices??

Any way, thanks for the refresh of the info for getting the APK.
The quality of the calibration is limited by the quality of the camera in your phone. My guess is that they didn't get good results from a lot of older or cheap Android phones.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #8055 of 8061 Old 05-23-2020, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
If they are both doing it to some extent I'd look for something common to both - odds are your WiFi. My Set is connected via CAT5, but I recall a issue or two when it was on WiFI. Also explore what you have connected to both, cable or SAT box and such.

Both sets wired only...no cable box connected. Streaming via internal apps and external devices only. Different devices on each set, ie; no commonality...other than the MFR and software version. And it's not a "connection issue" It is definitely shutting the TV down, where it will not respond to any remote commands until it flashes through it's shutdown/restart sequence. The screen is locked for about 20 seconds, then goes blank and starts up back to the original default red polygonal screen (no themes...which I have enabled on both sets), then finally boots to the Home screen.

the whole process takes about 2-3 minutes

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Last edited by kevin g.; 05-23-2020 at 08:29 AM.
post #8056 of 8061 Old 05-23-2020, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The quality of the calibration is limited by the quality of the camera in your phone. My guess is that they didn't get good results from a lot of older or cheap Android phones.
That makes sense, however, prior to the limits there were many reports in various forums of people using the app and being happy with the results. I know everyone is not a videophile and there is a potential confirmation bias thing going on. Still the reports on balance were very positive.

Maybe a simple warning telling people that results are only proven to be accurate using phone A and B. (but have fun if you need to play with others) would suffice.

It is what it is I suppose, but I still find it a bit disappointing.
Bob A (SD) likes this.
post #8057 of 8061 Old 05-23-2020, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
That makes sense, however, prior to the limits there were many reports in various forums of people using the app and being happy with the results. I know everyone is not a videophile and there is a potential confirmation bias thing going on. Still the reports on balance were very positive.

Maybe a simple warning telling people that results are only proven to be accurate using phone A and B. (but have fun if you need to play with others) would suffice.

It is what it is I suppose, but I still find it a bit disappointing.
FWIW, I have an iPhone 11 and got a calibration of 1.04 for Color Error.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #8058 of 8061 Old 05-24-2020, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I guess it makes sense that this thread would slowly fade away. I was hoping there would be more discussion about using this tv for serious pc gaming, it seems odd to me that it is almost never mentioned that these things can do 75Hz. I guess there isn't much to discuss really, HDR settings stay the same across games once you have it setup right. This thing makes the perfect monitor, really.
post #8059 of 8061 Old 05-25-2020, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 2292
Interesting @kaibosh ....I would try that if it were closer to my PC, but that is 2 floors apart.
post #8060 of 8061 Old 05-25-2020, 09:25 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9918 Post(s)
Liked: 6551
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibosh View Post
I guess it makes sense that this thread would slowly fade away. I was hoping there would be more discussion about using this tv for serious pc gaming, it seems odd to me that it is almost never mentioned that these things can do 75Hz. I guess there isn't much to discuss really, HDR settings stay the same across games once you have it setup right. This thing makes the perfect monitor, really.
Since when can it do 75hz? I know they can do 48hz with 24fps content. But I never heard anything about 75hz.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8061 of 8061 Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Since when can it do 75hz? I know they can do 48hz with 24fps content. But I never heard anything about 75hz.

On some of the sites that had detailed specs for this particular line, I saw that they listed 75Hz as the max refresh rate. It seemed almost like it was an error that had propagated through early channels, but upon testing it I found that it was true. I haven't pushed the bandwidth over HDMI 2.1 to the absolute limit, but I have run games at 1440p @ 75Hz and it works flawlessly. I think turning on HDR (min 10 bit, so 12 bit in Nvidia drivers) at 1440p/75Hz would be too much, but I have never seen so much as a flicker to show that the tv's driver is being pushed too far or anything. All I did was make a few custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel, didn't have to touch any of the scary timings and stuff - it just worked.

Even on a pimped out rig, you aren't going to be pushing any modern game to absolute maxed out settings (I'm including an aggressive AA solution in that) at 1440p and maintain a firmly locked 60fps - which you would need to do in order to go without any kind of v-sync (which messes up frametime pacing and results in input lag in most engines). The *real* sweet spot is to play the games at 1080p and then push a 'pre-render' internal resolution of 1.5X or so - which gives you a serious boost to image quality and is frankly necessary since the stoopid big titles (like RDR2) rely on crappy TAA because they have run out of overhead after squeezing every last drop of juice out of your CPU/GPU. Running 1080p with a 1.5X internal res also gives you the overhead to further crank things to 11 by running aggressive reshade/GFE filters on top of that. Obviously a LOCKED 60fps (capped outside the game, with your cpl or AB/RTSS) with no lag from v-sync is the ultimate gaming nirvana, the only time you could argue that 75Hz is necessary on top of that is if you are an elite FPS player who spent upwards of 6 hours a day for a decade honing snapshot 180 rails in Quake. This tv is *perfect* for such shenanigans, with possibly the most insanely low response time of any 4K/HDR set out there - what is it, like 14ms?!

While it would have made this line truly unicorn-tech if they had somehow shoehorned in future support for free-sync, I don't know many tv's that can do 75Hz (other than the handful of sets you can hack for true 120Hz input through the interpolation hardware, but many of those burn out from voltage spikes). Everything in high end game tweaks these days is about absolute control of your frame-rate/frametime anyway, if you have weapons grade autism you can tune each game to the point where you use RTSS to control a fixed tearline to stay a handful of scanlines offscreen in the overflow buffer (AKA s-sync). After that you start hex editing your mainboard drivers for your USB ports in order to have truly finite fractional harmonic polling rates and at that point you ascend into a state of pure sperglord quantumized loosh and typically meet your end being feasted on by the Archons.
dynalmadman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page