TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3712Likes

post #1411 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
Under what conditions do you notice it?

Yes, it is not uniform but the changes are smooth so you are not likely to notice it watching normal content.
Anything with a bright or solid background. Hockey shows up bad. It's mainly the grid like pattern of dark spots on the right side. I don't know how well it will show up on the pics, but if i crank up the brightness all the way on my phone to view that pic, it shows pretty close to what I see on the tv. That's medium grey on tv, btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplizit View Post
Anything with a bright or solid background. Hockey shows up bad. It's mainly the grid like pattern of dark spots on the right side. I don't know how well it will show up on the pics, but if i crank up the brightness all the way on my phone to view that pic, it shows pretty close to what I see on the tv. That's medium grey on tv, btw.
While TCL won't send a tech out with a replacement, if you're unhappy with take it back to wherever you got it. You can get a replacement from them, or if they are currently out of stock wait a week or 2 and try your luck again when they have stock again.
Ricanlegend21 and Roborope like this.
post #1413 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
I have modest vertical banding on the right side. Under certain condition I can see it but it's only there after the tv warms up.

Is your right side issue there only after the tv warms up?

I have sent tcl tech support an idea I think will solve all these screen uniformity problems. It could be included in the next SW upgrade. Let's hope they do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfen1 View Post
@ WRXpilot, I'm just seeing some black bands on the left and general splotchy areas throughout, compared to a full gray image that I assume it should be.
Do you see it in content, both darker and brighter content?
post #1415 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velmeran View Post
While TCL won't send a tech out with a replacement, if you're unhappy with take it back to wherever you got it. You can get a replacement from them, or if they are currently out of stock wait a week or 2 and try your luck again when they have stock again.
will BB allow one to unbox, plug in, and view the tv before leaving the store?
Ricanlegend21 and StachStach like this.
post #1416 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Well. This just happened. Customer service told me these dark spots are normal and won't be sending out a tech. Any recommendations on where to go from here? Is my set considered not that bad or something, because it's pretty noticeable to me.
Looks like dse (dirty screen effect) and that's pretty normal for fald based sets though the degree of dse varies from set to set. If you think it is too much for you then I guess you'd need to get a replacement as I don't recall ever reading a company sending a tech out for some dse.
post #1417 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I have modest vertical banding on the right side. Under certain condition I can see it but it's only there after the tv warms up.

Is your right side issue there only after the tv warms up?

I have sent tcl tech support an idea I think will solve all these screen uniformity problems. It could be included in the next SW upgrade. Let's hope they do it.
I can see it very lightly on first start, but yea, as tv warms up is when it really shows. There's no dead pixels, so I got lucky with that. If I could get a better screen, I would prefer it. I guess Im not really sure how much better it would be if this is considered normal. Love the overall picture though. I got stuck with a faulty Sony for 12 years due to a yellowing picture issue and I guess I want to make sure I get the best I can this time. Taking this thing back to best buy an hour away with a vehicle I'll have to borrow is kind of a pain in the ass which is why I was hoping tcl service would help. Plus, best buy isnt looking to have these in stock anytime soon.
post #1418 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
will BB allow one to unbox, plug in, and view the tv before leaving the store?
Ive wondered something like this as well. Will they send me a replacement before I ship mine back?
post #1419 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can see it very lightly on first start, but yea, as tv warms up is when it really shows. There's no dead pixels, so I got lucky with that. If I could get a better screen, I would prefer it. I guess Im not really sure how much better it would be if this is considered normal. Love the overall picture though. I got stuck with a faulty Sony for 12 years due to a yellowing picture issue and I guess I want to make sure I get the best I can this time. Taking this thing back to best buy an hour away with a vehicle I'll have to borrow is kind of a pain in the ass which is why I was hoping tcl service would help. Plus, best buy isnt looking to have these in stock anytime soon.
I'm in the same boat.

Yes, the right side issue is aggravated by the heat from the electronics. If I just point a stand fan at the back of the tv my right side banding goes away.
post #1420 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by StachStach View Post
I appreciate your comparison greatly as they both appear to be great 4K TV's, but the one thing holding me back about TCL is how reflective it is said to be.

For me, that's another major factor in my decision, so what have you noticed about the screen reflectivity between the new TCL and the Sony X900E???

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Stach
You're right about that. They are both great 4k TVs and I don't think you'll be disappointed either way you go.

As for the screen reflectivity, they are both semi-glossy screens that are a little more glossy than many other semi-glossy screens.

For me the issue isn't that they are reflective, the issue is the kind of reflections they have. I prefer glossy screens with sharp, defined reflections, not semi-glossy screens with smeared, diffuse reflections. For example, I like the type of screens that OLED and plasma TVs have. I dislike the matte and semi-glossy screens that most LCD monitors and TVs have.

In any case, the X900E seems to have slightly sharper, more defined reflections than the R617, which I like. Both TVs, though, are semi-glossy and smear reflections across the screen which raises black levels, washes out colors and slightly reduces clarity.

Don't get me wrong, both TVs still look phenomenally good. It's just that they would look even better to me with glossy screens.

But if you are the type of person that dislikes well defined specular reflections and prefers the reflections to be smeared across the screen to make them less distinct then you might like the semi-glossy screens the X900E and R617 have. Although, as I said, they do seem to be a little more glossy and reflective than your average LCD TV.
SuperFist likes this.
post #1421 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I'm in the same boat.

Yes, the right side issue is aggravated by the heat from the electronics. If I just point a stand fan at the back of the tv my right side banding goes away.
If that's the case then I suppose it is a normal issue and perhaps some are not recognizing it.

I appreciate the suggestions, everyone. I know we all just want to make sure we get the best picture possible on this excellent set.
post #1422 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Picture settings

I've been following the thread for the past week, just got my 65" today - has there been any posts on settings tweaks for optimal picture? Thanks!
post #1423 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Well. This just happened. Customer service told me these dark spots are normal and won't be sending out a tech. Any recommendations on where to go from here? Is my set considered not that bad or something, because it's pretty noticeable to me.
I guess your only option is to return the TV from where ever you brought it & buy another one if that is what you want to do.
post #1424 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade38 View Post
I’ve spent the last several days with the 65R617 to form an opinion. Here are my thoughts:

Amazon purchase & delivery – I ordered Thursday April 26 before 11am central and was given a May 1 delivery date – I have Prime, but did not pay extra for express delivery. By Sunday April 29, FedEx tracking estimated a Friday May 4 delivery date. Amazon did not update its delivery estimated date until the original May 1 delivery date had expired. I called Amazon, they offered 3 months free Prime. I couldn’t test the unit until Friday May 4 anyway, so I wasn’t gonna push – whatever, I took it. FedEx delivered on Friday May 4. Two FedEx employees, one that I’m on a first-name basis with, carefully delivered and gently set it just inside past my front door. I encourage you to get to know your FedEx and UPS drivers if you can (at least their names) as a bit of courtesy and manners can pay off with these sort of things. I’ve received personal texts from this particular FedEx driver stating that he placed an expensive delivery on my back patio hidden under the BBQ grill cover because he feared it may rain later that day, though your mileage may vary.
I received the plain brown box with red “TCL” logo on the upper corner. There was a slight tear on the top edge of the box between the white binding straps, about an inch wide and four inches long - not very big - but otherwise, the box was in great shape.

The screen was very well protected in the box, complete with both a 2-inch thick foam spacer and a 1-inch thick cardboard shield placed between this foam spacer and the inside wall of the box. The sides and rear seemed adequately protected, but nothing fancy. The unit had no visible signs of damage.
Powering on for the first time, I noticed zero screen defects or abnormalities – no screen cracks, or obvious banding or dead pixels. I connected to wifi and the unit began performing a system update. Within minutes, I was logging into and streaming Netflix. I let the unit run throughout the night to let it “break in” before a more complete test on Saturday.

Saturday, I went through a series of tests, including screenshots of solid colors (gray, black, white, blue, red, green, etc,), still, no dead pixels. There is, however, some visibility to the LED backlights, or bleed through. This happens on certain shades of blue and is faintly visible on a bright white test screen. Playing source material, this effect was not noticeable. If I tried my hardest to find it, I could find it – particularly on scenes with lots of blue sky. To quantify, if playing a TV show or movie, out of about 100 different scenes, I could see this issue maybe 1 time – IF I was trying to find it. It is easier to find it using test patterns and solid test screens, but I’m not watching test screens more than a small handful of times during the life of a video display.

Blooming is visible, under certain conditions, such a black screen with a “status” icon in the middle, rarely visible watching source material. Most visible watching credits with a black back ground and white lettering at the end of a movie. It’s minor. Slight vignetteing in the corners, mostly noticed with a pure white screen, less so with other shades and colors.

I’m still testing for the optimum settings for motion, this seems to differ with source material and am just trying to find a happy medium. It handles motion, free of judder, as well as anything in its price range and beyond that I’m familiar with and handles it better than the 10-year old top-of-the-line-at-the-time Samsung it replaced.

Colors are beautiful. Black levels and shadow detail are excellent – both unreal at this price point. Batman Dark Knight Rises on UHD HDR is a real treat on this video display.

Though I initially connected to the internet via wifi, I now have it connected to a hard line. I have experienced no issues with streaming or app navigation or app pixilation as described by others – and I’m lucky to get 8 Mbps from my ISP. Perhaps the initial update performed after I connected to wifi did something, who knows, anyway, I am currently running software version 8.0.2 – build 4133-30

All HDMI ports worked - the picture settings are unique to each port as is common. I am using HDMI 3 for ARC. This is the first video display I’ve owned where I use the display’s onboard apps for streaming. I prefer to send my source to my Yamaha 1060 AV receiver, then have the audio sent from my AV receiver to BOTH my video display speakers via HDMI AND 5.1 audio system through the AV receiver’s amp. This way, my wife, who says she doesn’t want “all that” sound (you guys know what I’m facing) and just wants to play sound out of the small video display speakers and continue to use the DirecTV remote to change channels and turn volume up/down on the same DirecTV remote. Well, I DO want “all that” sound, and having the option of controlling the AV receiver separate from the video display’s speaker volume is important to me. ARC setup messes this up, as you EITHER use the video display speakers OR the AV receiver, but not both. ARC activation completely disables the built-in display speakers. The optical output ONLY works if ARC is enabled (as a result, the display speakers are disabled). I wish I could just send an audio signal from the display to the AV receiver and control that volume only with the AV receiver remote, while the display’s remote continues to change the display speakers’ volume. The TCL, and probably every other ARC-capable display won’t let me do that without changing the ARC and CEC settings on the TCL – unless you guys have any other options I’m overlooking. I may end up purchasing an external Roku just for the benefit of being able to better manipulate the audio to meet mine and my wife’s needs. Otherwise, I’m very happy with the performance of the onboard apps and streaming in general.

Does this display show test patterns as good as a $2500 65” OLED– no. Does it show source material as well as a $2500 65” OLED – not quite. But for $1000, it gets REALLY close on the things that matter most, plus screen burn-in is not an issue to worry about. I say it performs as well as, and in many areas better than, 65” LCD displays costing $1500 and up. If you are expecting $2000 performance, then buy a $2000 display. But I contend that for $1000 nothing comes close right now. Pocket that extra money, save for the next great technology years down the road with 8K and an ever-expanding HDMI bandwidth and capability, and sit back, take a deep breath, RELAX, enjoy the show.

I may be a lucky one with a great panel, the problems others are sharing is concerning and something to consider.

In summary:
  • Delayed shipping, box in good shape
  • No unit damage, no dead pixels, no vertical banding
  • Motion handling is good, comparable to slightly more expensive units, but not to current top-of-the-line units.
  • Minor blooming, hardly visible. Slightly visible LED backlighting bleed through under certain, but limited conditions. Vignetting present on very bright test patterns.
  • Roku performs well, both hardline connection and wifi work fine. I'm running software version 8.0.2 - build 4133-30
  • All HDMI ports functioned and the video looked the same, save for unique configuration settings.
  • ARC/CEC completely disables built-in display speakers. Optical out and audio over HDMI only work if ARC/CEC is enabled and built-in speakers disabled.
  • TEST material looks good, though some issues visible with a discerning eye – LED bleed through, minor blooming in certain conditions, vinetting.
  • SOURCE material looks great. Excellent colors, black levels, shadow details, etc. Just relax and enjoy.
Great summary! I had literally the same experience. I sadly don't know my small parcel drivers, but I was luckily home when they came, and I was able to run outside and meet them as they had picked up the TV and started carrying it through my yard. My parents were visiting so I told him we would take it from here, and I got my dad to help me.

Your notes on the picture quality and screen are exactly what I've experienced so far. I had to set up the wifi so that I could pair the roku app on my phone to the TV, which I thought was weird. Not sure if there was a way around that, but it defaults back to the wired connection.

I've had no streaming issues, but I have 200 mbps so it doesn't make much sense that I would. UHD shows on Netflix start nearly instantly at full resolution. Prime takes a little longer but not slow enough to be annoying.
post #1425 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
I've had no streaming issues, but I have 200 mbps so it doesn't make much sense that I would. UHD shows on Netflix start nearly instantly at full resolution. Prime takes a little longer but not slow enough to be annoying.
I'd do some questionable and unethical things for 200 mbps. Charter just installed Spectrum service in our neighborhood, I just have to pay to have it buried from the pedestal to the house. Great to hear UHD streams and displays fine.
post #1426 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanoise View Post
How do you check for banding?
my motto is if you look hard enough you will find something that's amiss. but i think you can find what you need on you tube.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #1427 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnWill View Post
**** UPDATE ****

Well, less than 10 mins after posting my earlier post while I was searching for Bruce’s contact information, I received a PM from him with some instructions for the next steps in the process. With that being said, so far I am going to give TCL an A+ for customer service because they obviously care what we are saying and want to do their best to make all of us early adopters happy.
I'm curious, what do you mean by the TCL customer service? I dont see anything about you contacting them? What did you tell them and what did they do for you? Thanks
post #1428 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohlareon View Post
I'd like to hear as well. Finally got mine yesterday and have a few hours of gaming on it, looks amazing after a few tweaks and suggestions I found here. I think overall it looks pretty good but you all are better judges of quality that I am (relatively new to all this stuff mentioned about banding and uniformity etc). My pictures make me notice the dark corners a bit more but I think overall it looks pretty good. Thoughts on the dark corners thing? Thoughts on my uniformity and banding?
Hi, what tweeks and adjustments did you do that you found on here? I dont really wanna sift through the thousands of replies thanks
post #1429 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I received my 65r617 this past Friday and was really enjoying it till I watched hockey on Sunday and I saw a small section of led lights thru the screen. I contacted TCL support and they had me reset the TV and it improved it but I still barely see it in one small section and only during hockey. Does someone have the contact info for this Bruce that is helping people out?
post #1430 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksmoor24 View Post
I received my 65r617 this past Friday and was really enjoying it till I watched hockey on Sunday and I saw a small section of led lights thru the screen. I contacted TCL support and they had me reset the TV and it improved it but I still barely see it in one small section and only during hockey. Does someone have the contact info for this Bruce that is helping people out?
Just contact tcl customer service

[email protected]

You'll hear back from them within a day or so.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sony 900F, KS8000, P607
post #1431 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Glad to hear people are finally getting their TV's. Ordered mine on 4/26 in the evening and so far its had a delivery date of May 10-11 with zero movement on the order from Amazon. Contacted them and got a canned response. Wondering if I will ever get a unit and if I do, if its going to be a lemon. Fun fun!
post #1432 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I am also seeing this issue, what do you mean by reset the tv? I would love to fix this, sounds like it helped you some at lesst?
post #1433 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfan8632 View Post
I am also seeing this issue, what do you mean by reset the tv? I would love to fix this, sounds like it helped you some at lesst?
They told me to unplug the TV and then hold the power button for 15 seconds. Afterwards I replayed a youtube video for dse called the hockey test and it had greatly improved.
I still could barely see a small section of led lights but had improved from seeing a large section of three rows of led's on the right side.
post #1434 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Got my 55" today and I'm in love! So far it look like I have been lucky with uniformity and no dead pixels yet that I've noticed. If there is any vertical banding you would have to really squint under the right testing conditions, at least on mine. I can confirm that the Roku gui needs to be updated for higher resolution. No idea how they dropped the ball on that. I think my only issue that somebody else mentioned earlier in the thread is tv speaker related, under certain conditions there is an audible rattle of some kind, I'm not sure if it's the speaker or the back plastic cover not properly insulated? Also, I think the off-angle comments are a little overblown. Yes it washes out slightly at more drastic angles, but even then it still looks really good to me!

Otherwise I can't believe the value here, I was completely skeptical when I ordered and now I'm a believer. I will get another couple days of use under my belt and report back. I'm so glad I didn't spend more, this thing looks wonderful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180507_152003_1525739486655.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2400116  
avshaman likes this.
post #1435 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
They told me to unplug the TV and then hold the power button for 15 seconds. Afterwards I replayed a youtube video for dse called the hockey test and it had greatly improved.
I still could barely see a small section of led lights but had improved from seeing a large section of three rows of led's on the right side.
Tried that, hasnt helped much. I'm confused how holding a power button down when the tv is unplugged would do anything though??
post #1436 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Tried that, hasnt helped much. I'm confused how holding a power button down when the tv is unplugged would do anything though??
It could release any stored charge in capacitors?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #1437 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Customer service didn't tell me why and I should have asked.
post #1438 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoops View Post
Just got mine today and so far so good. Paired my voice remote and loving the set so far. Biggest gripe is definitely the Roku UI being in a super low resolution. That is annoying but I bet this will be fixed shortly.

Has anyone tried watching CNNGO yet? It seems like its not pulling in the highest bitrate feed. I have hooked up another roku and it doesn't have this problem. Its similar to when you first load a stream and it hasn't loaded it's highest quality yet. I am hardwired and every other service is streaming perfectly. Wonder if its a bug with CNNGO app? Can anyone else confirm?
It looks pretty good to me. I don't have another Roku to compare it to, but it looks as good as any other regular, non-4k app on mine.
post #1439 of 7270 Old 05-07-2018, 11:08 PM

Do these TV's that support dolby vision support 36 bits per pixel (12-bit) color depth as per the specifications?
post #1440 of 7270 Old 05-08-2018, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm curious, what do you mean by the TCL customer service? I dont see anything about you contacting them? What did you tell them and what did they do for you? Thanks
Bruce from TCL reached out to me after my original post and asked me to email my contact information to his support team. I did so and a few hours later a rep called me discussed my issue and because of the dead pixels, they are going to send a replacement tv to a tech in my area and have him/her come and replace my defective unit. He said they would even help me dismount it from the wall and mount the new tv. All-in-all a very satisfactory experience so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page