TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3715Likes

post #1441 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Cnet review!

Cnet review is up: https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55...oku-tv/review/

The Bottom Line With superb picture quality that rivals TVs costing twice as much, TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed.

Edit: Adding CNET's calibrated picture settings

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...15257125421071

The settings below assume the 11-point grayscale and CMS controls on the app are zeroed out.

Dark room settings:

TV brightness: Darker
Picture mode: Movie*
Picture size: Auto

Advanced picture settings:

Local contrast: High
Backlight: 23
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: Warm
Game mode: Off

Roku app Settings/Expert picture settings menu:

Gamma: 2.4
Noise reduction: Off

Bright room settings:

TV Brightness: Brighter
Picture mode: Movie
[no other adjustments on-screen or in app]

HDR notes: New for 2018 TCL has implemented what it calls different HDR settings for different room brightness, but according to my tests their names can be a bit misleading. The best and most accurate setting according to my measurements was TV Brightness = Brighter and Picture Mode = Dark HDR. It delivered the best combination of light output and black level, and stayed admirably close to the target EOTF -- something few of the other modes, including Darker/Dark HDR could muster. Regardless of room lighting, I would start with Brighter/Dark HDR. In that mode color checker was decent, if not spectacular, and the same goes for P3 gamut.

The above applies to HDR10 only; I didn't measure Dolby Vision.

Last edited by loser7787; 05-08-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Anyone else notice a plastic burning smell almost like a copy machine on their unit? Mine is the 55R617. Not too strong but I can smell it a few feet away. Just got it last night and I noticed it as soon as I turned it on. Thanks.
post #1443 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutii View Post
Anyone else notice a plastic burning smell almost like a copy machine on their unit? Mine is the 55R617. Not too strong but I can smell it a few feet away. Just got it last night and I noticed it as soon as I turned it on. Thanks.
It's the new car smell...
Should go away after a few hours after things warm up and burn off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone else using DirectTV? Which code did you use to setup your remote for the 55R617? I went thru the codes thru the menu and none worked in order to operate the Power and Volume on the TCL

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #1445 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Another question... We are using this in our bedroom. Going from a 32" Panasonic 2008 to a 55" and my wifes initial impression "way too big and way too bright!" We are are around 11 feet from the TV to head of bed.

I personally believe its the largest someone could use in a bedroom and that over time we will all get accustomed to it. Told her to give it a week and then lets make a determination. Picture wise, it looks fantastic..1 of the best looking TV's Ive ever seen. (although I have not seen OLEDs in person).

So is there a way to turn the overall brightness down without killing the picture quality?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #1446 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
Another question... We are using this in our bedroom. Going from a 32" Panasonic 2008 to a 55" and my wifes initial impression "way too big and way too bright!" We are are around 11 feet from the TV to head of bed.

I personally believe its the largest someone could use in a bedroom and that over time we will all get accustomed to it. Told her to give it a week and then lets make a determination. Picture wise, it looks fantastic..1 of the best looking TV's Ive ever seen. (although I have not seen OLEDs in person).

So is there a way to turn the overall brightness down without killing the picture quality?
Just turn the backlight down to a suitable brightness level. Won't kill picture quality.
post #1447 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:

We just put out 52 inch in the bedroom when we bought a 55 inch for the main room. My wife was the same way at first but now she loves it. It worked out fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #1448 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Having the same conversations. I tried turning down the brightness setting and it just made the entire screen black. Turning down the backlights did make a difference however. Still pretty bright.

Wish there was an easier setting such as a night time picture mode or something like that.

Im trying to convince her to let me get a new tilt mount so i can just push the tv over more towards me
post #1449 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Separate from the backlight setting there is an overall brightness setting.

This can be set to darker dark normal bright or brighter.
post #1450 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffer2 View Post
Got my 55" today and I'm in love! So far it look like I have been lucky with uniformity and no dead pixels yet that I've noticed. If there is any vertical banding you would have to really squint under the right testing conditions, at least on mine. I can confirm that the Roku gui needs to be updated for higher resolution. No idea how they dropped the ball on that. I think my only issue that somebody else mentioned earlier in the thread is tv speaker related, under certain conditions there is an audible rattle of some kind, I'm not sure if it's the speaker or the back plastic cover not properly insulated? Also, I think the off-angle comments are a little overblown. Yes it washes out slightly at more drastic angles, but even then it still looks really good to me!

Otherwise I can't believe the value here, I was completely skeptical when I ordered and now I'm a believer. I will get another couple days of use under my belt and report back. I'm so glad I didn't spend more, this thing looks wonderful.
Ive been talking to TCL about getting a repair man out for that rattle. Almost sounds like a blown speaker. Maybe it is that little black plastic cover. Maybe I will put some tape on it and see if that fixes the issue? Really strange.
post #1451 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver5liter View Post
Ive been talking to TCL about getting a repair man out for that rattle. Almost sounds like a blown speaker. Maybe it is that little black plastic cover. Maybe I will put some tape on it and see if that fixes the issue? Really strange.
I would be asking for some money back and just using my current surround sound system as i will never use the TV speakers
post #1452 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeTronic View Post
I would be asking for some money back and just using my current surround sound system as i will never use the TV speakers
TCL isn't going to give me money back because of it and neither will Best Buy. Not everyone is Amazon.
post #1453 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser7787 View Post
Cnet review is up: https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55...oku-tv/review/

The Bottom Line With superb picture quality that rivals TVs costing twice as much, TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed.

Edit: Adding CNET's calibrated picture settings

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...15257125421071

The settings below assume the 11-point grayscale and CMS controls on the app are zeroed out.

Dark room settings:

TV brightness: Darker

Advanced picture settings:

Local contrast: High
Backlight: 23
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: Warm
Game mode: Off

Roku app Settings/Expert picture settings menu:

Gamma: 2.4
Noise reduction: Off

Bright room settings:

TV Brightness: Brighter
Picture mode: Movie
[no other adjustments on-screen or in app]

HDR notes: New for 2018 TCL has implemented what it calls different HDR settings for different room brightness, but according to my tests their names can be a bit misleading. The best and most accurate setting according to my measurements was TV Brightness = Brighter and Picture Mode = Dark HDR. It delivered the best combination of light output and black level, and stayed admirably close to the target EOTF -- something few of the other modes, including Darker/Dark HDR could muster. Regardless of room lighting, I would start with Brighter/Dark HDR. In that mode color checker was decent, if not spectacular, and the same goes for P3 gamut.

The above applies to HDR10 only; I didn't measure Dolby Vision.
Excellent! Having nothing to compare it to myself other than a 10 year old TV, it was tough for me to push the value proposition even though I couldn't help but think it had to be a great value because of how beautiful the picture is. Looks like CNET is definitely confirming that.

Glad they mention the great black performance as well. I have been watching Daredevil again since getting the TV, which tends to be a very dark show, and I have been greatly impressed with the black levels and contrast. On my old TV, I would have to jack up the brightness just to see what was going on in dark scenes. Not an issue anymore. Areas that should be dark/black are, and I can still see things I am supposed to see. Those "local contrast zones" are definitely doing their job.
avshaman, SuperFist and kevindank like this.
post #1454 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 07:49 AM

This likely will make me sound like a total newb, i've never calibrated a tv...i keep reading folks talking and asking for calibration settings...are you doing this with additional hardware/software or just the tv settings?
post #1455 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any word on what the remote model # is for the 55r617? I bought the 55r615, but my sound bar covers the IR sensor. Wondering if the Enhanced remote can fix the issue.
post #1456 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Getting more and more excited to receive my 65R617 from Amazon the more reviews I see the happier I am to spend the extra money on the larger screen. Still sad I have to wait until the 25th for it, but man am I excited.
post #1457 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutbuggin View Post
Any word on what the remote model # is for the 55r617? I bought the 55r615, but my sound bar covers the IR sensor. Wondering if the Enhanced remote can fix the issue.
Out of curiosity, what kind of soundbar do you have? I have a Vizio SB4051 and I'm wondering if the sensor will be blocked by my soundbar aswell.
post #1458 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Anyone else using DirectTV? Which code did you use to setup your remote for the 55R617? I went thru the codes thru the menu and none worked in order to operate the Power and Volume on the TCL

I have a similar question. Trying to update the DirecTV remote to control power/volume of my 65R617. Going through the menu for remote setup in my DirecTV console where you choose TV manufacturer, I fail to even see the brand "TCL" listed. There are probably 150 brands listed here, but no TCL. Anyone know how to overcome this?
post #1459 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
This likely will make me sound like a total newb, i've never calibrated a tv...i keep reading folks talking and asking for calibration settings...are you doing this with additional hardware/software or just the tv settings?
People asking for settings are likely just using the TV controls to input other calibrations into their set. If you don't have the tools, you're better off just trying out the CNET/RTings picture control settings, sticking with whatever of those you like best, and leaving the color calibration settings alone (at default). People are free to do whatever they want with their TVs, but it's been shown again and again that just inputting someone else's calibration into your set is usually worse than doing nothing at all. It's why CNET stopped publishing their color calibration settings (once upon a time, they did share them).
kevindank and Ben23 like this.
post #1460 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutbuggin View Post

TCL confirmed you can’t upgrade remotes. Not compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1461 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon2es View Post
TCL confirmed you can’t upgrade remotes. Not compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There have been a few people IN THIS THREAD, that have stated otherwise from first hand experience.
post #1462 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
TCL isn't going to give me money back because of it and neither will Best Buy. Not everyone is Amazon.
I've had Best Buy give me money back to keep an appliance that was damaged by their deliveryman. Not sure if they would care as much on a TV, but it can't hurt to ask.
post #1463 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:54 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejunkie View Post
Out of curiosity, what kind of soundbar do you have? I have a Vizio SB4051 and I'm wondering if the sensor will be blocked by my soundbar aswell.
I have a Vizio SB3851-C0. It just barely covers the IR sensor. It's really odd to me TCL would put the sensor in the middle of the screen as opposed to the sides.
post #1464 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I would exchange then, Amazon credited me back $200 for that issue.
post #1465 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
People asking for settings are likely just using the TV controls to input other calibrations into their set. If you don't have the tools, you're better off just trying out the CNET/RTings picture control settings, sticking with whatever of those you like best, and leaving the color calibration settings alone (at default). People are free to do whatever they want with their TVs, but it's been shown again and again that just inputting someone else's calibration into your set is usually worse than doing nothing at all. It's why CNET stopped publishing their color calibration settings (once upon a time, they did share them).
Agree with this 100%. I am going to try CNET's setup tonight and see how I like it, but honestly, I have played with it some and have found the settings that I prefer. In doing so, I am hopefully not hindering the TV's performance in any way, but I at least know the image does not look washed out or blurry or anything way off base. As an example, I see a lot of recommendations for the HDR Dark mode, but I just like the way HDR Normal looks more so I have defaulted to that. However, based on CNET's recommendations under the advanced settings (backlight, sharpness, etc), I want to copy that and then see how the difference between HDR Dark and Normal looks. I think I'll use Planet Earth II to do this because the imagery, contrast, color, etc is so dynamic, and hopefully that will aid in seeing the full ramifications of the adjustments. Also, I have zero interest in trying delve into individual color calibrations.
post #1466 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneGretzky-MScott View Post
I would exchange then, Amazon credited me back $200 for that issue.
Im going to do some tests tonight and see if that small plastic flap is vibrating causing the sound first. If not then its probably going to be fixed by a repair man. I don't really want to play the panel lottery again after getting this one.
post #1467 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
To answer the most important question that everyone is thinking but nobody is asking: YES, you can fit the 65" box into a Prius.

I managed to load it into my standard size 2010 Prius yesterday afternoon. The tail end of the box will stick out about 6" so you have to tie down the trunk, but other than that, it went very smoothly. And now it looks gorgeous on my wall!
SuperFist, talkaboutav and theike like this.
post #1468 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2127 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMistakes View Post
To answer the most important question that everyone is thinking but nobody is asking: YES, you can fit the 65" box into a Prius.

I managed to load it into my standard size 2010 Prius yesterday afternoon. The tail end of the box will stick out about 6" so you have to tie down the trunk, but other than that, it went very smoothly. And now it looks gorgeous on my wall!
Did you lay it down flat?
post #1469 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Did you lay it down flat?
Nope, it has to be at a diagonal with one edge on the trunk floor and the opposite edge pressed against the ceiling. The space between the tail lights is the narrowest area. As long as you lift the box above those to start, you can slide it in with just a little bit of force.
post #1470 of 7276 Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 AM

It's officially a week for me with this tv and I really can't pick out many flaws. Im still in love with this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page