TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3706Likes

post #1651 of 7257 Old 05-10-2018, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLE_802 View Post
Hope your TV is OK. In all honesty, I don't see very much wrong with how she was handling the TV though. It looks like it's on its side not upside down. The packaging is designed to deal with handling like that and even small drops.

If anything, she should have used a dolly but im not sure how UPS trucks are equipped and what standards they have with their ground services.
Having worked at UPS as an unloader a long time ago, I can assure you what happens in the facilities makes a joke of this. 900 boxes an hour stacked all the way up in the trailers...how do think we got them down quickly?
theike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 7257 Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpendarvis View Post
To be fair, he/she referred to “objective” reviews. While there are some objective meausrements in some of the reviews you mentionedd (e.g., color accuracy in the Toms Hardware review), to my knowledge, at this time there isn’t a review primarily based on objective measurements like ratings.com typically does.

Don’t get me wrong - I have the 65R617 and think it’s great (especially for thefor the price). I also think subjective reviews are equally valuable, and the fact they are all very positive is awesome. But I think it is fair for someone to want to see a more scientific approach. Both have their place.
Well all of those reviews do contain objective measurements. It's true that rtings.com reviews do contain a wider range of measurements, but the weight they give them is pretty subjective. For example, in the motion section they always give a higher score to TVs that flicker less, but there's nothing objective about that conclusion. TVs that flicker more (lower hertz and longer black intervals) produce clearer motion/less blur. So there's always a trade off between flicker and blur. You can't simply say 'less flicker and more blur' is superior, because it comes down to a matter of sensitivities and preferences.
Ricanlegend21 and talkaboutav like this.
post #1653 of 7257 Old 05-10-2018, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some lip sync/audio delay on my TCL 55R615 when connected to my STB. I am running an optical cable from the TV to a Vizio soundbar and running an HDMI cable from the STB to the TV. My soundbar does not have an HDMI port. How do I fix this audio delay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I see this TV still has the pixel dimming noise that the p605/7 suffers from.

The same pixel noise pattern as the grey/black background pattern of this message board up at the very top.

The only large TCL that doesn't suffer from this is the 75" TCL S405
post #1655 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 03:04 AM

Liked: 1
I've noticed a pretty annoying issue with my 55R17 and I'd really like some feedback from others if you have this issue as well.

When local contrast is turned on - there seems to be some sort of "flicker" or constant screen-wide brightness adjustment that happens when viewing images that are moving with high contrasting blacks and whites. For example, if a black box would move across a white screen the white screen would flicker and appear to be changing brightness it seems. This affects every aspect of the tv when local contrast is on. When dimming it turned off the problem disappears, but why would I want to turn off the local dimming, right?

I sent a support ticket to TCL. This tv was near perfect until I noticed this issue and it's quite a shame that it suffers from this flickering.
SuperFist likes this.
post #1656 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrokeit View Post
I see this TV still has the pixel dimming noise that the p605/7 suffers from.

The same pixel noise pattern as the grey/black background pattern of this message board up at the very top.

The only large TCL that doesn't suffer from this is the 75" TCL S405
Are you talking about the checkerboard pattern with the pixels? I remember reading about that in the P607 thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...-talk-107.html

and here: https://hardforum.com/threads/cheap-...ffect.1945552/

Last edited by Tranceport913; 05-11-2018 at 06:24 AM.
post #1657 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 AM

Liked: 0
Harmony Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-ham View Post
Has anyone been able to use a Harmony remote with a 6 series TV in IP control mode? And if so which model do you have? I have a 55p605 from last year and could never get it to work. Was not sure if it was an issue that was specific to the Best Buy version. Ideally I could control the TV via IP and I would not have to worry about running an IR cable.
I have the 65R615 from Best Buy connected directly to ethernet cable. My remote is a Harmony Elite/Hub combo. I don't know how to tell for sure if it's using IP control (other than maybe unplugging the ethernet cable), but it scanned for and found the Roku Tv on my network during setup.

So far it seems like a great TV. I don't care about voice search.
post #1658 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
A second round opinion solicitation. Are you guys overall happy with it? If no, what has been your beef with it?
I've had the 65 hooked up for just under a week now, and I'm still very happy. Watched some Atlanta last night on Hulu, and I was surprised by how good it looked (given the source resolution). The same held true for Silicon Valley and Barry (great show btw if you haven't checked it out) DVR recorded from DirecTV via HBO broadcast. Tonight I hope to watch my UHD BR of Blade Runner 2049 for the first time. Super excited for that as I loved the theatrical experience.

So yeah, still no issues other than very slight vignetting in the corners. I am still in the honeymoon phase I guess. I find myself sitting at work getting excited about going home and watching stuff. Also, I am annoyed that it takes longer for the sun to go down now. I need to get some better curtains. Ha ha.
rlindo, avshaman and Ricanlegend21 like this.
post #1659 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
My parents just bought the R615 for their bedroom at BB. Can confirm the RC193 headphone jack does not work. They also mentioned something about the shortcut keys not working.

Do any of the older Roku remotes with headphone jack work? Is there any additional setup on the TV that needs to be done? Maybe unlocking the feature inside service menu?
I could not get it to work (the HF jack remote works fine) I would to hear if anyone else has and if so how.
post #1660 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Ok, guys. I have all of the photos uploaded here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/qm9j5y

Could some of you explain what I am looking at? Total new guy in regards to looking for this stuff, but I believe I may also have vertical banding as I just noticed stuff running the 2nd day of tests. This is the 55R615 for anyone wondering. I may contact TCL soon regarding this, as I do notice things during certain games and movie scenes.
post #1661 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
So I have decided to cancel my order for the 65 incher. After doing some reading about field of view recommendations with televisions I am at about the perfect size for my distance to be able to see everything on screen without having to constantly move my eyes and head around. It was a hard decision because for me bigger is ALWAYS better when it comes to televisions. My 11 year old daughter had to talk some sense into me by telling me the TV I use to only play video games on is bigger than most of her friends have in their living rooms as main televisions.....

This is the article that helped me come to that decision:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by...e-relationship

--Ray
Not knocking the science behind it, but I sit about 7-8 feet away and while find my current 65" a good size (I don't find the need to move my eyes around), I still want to go bigger for more of the visual immersion factor. Some years back I remember watching movies at my friend's house who has a 72" DLP and his seats are about 9 feet away at most and I really liked it. Again, not knocking to science but like everything else I believe it boils down to personal preference and everyone's perception will vary. Take for example the lower section at a movie theater where you have to tilt your head up. Even on the last row of the front section, I feel I need to look around to see all of the screen, but I have friends who say they can see everything from there so maybe their peripheral vision is better than mine.
SuperFist and Matt2026 like this.
post #1662 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
Not knocking the science behind it, but I sit about 7-8 feet away and while find my current 65" a good size (I don't find the need to move my eyes around), I still want to go bigger for more of the visual immersion factor. Some years back I remember watching movies at my friend's house who has a 72" DLP and his seats are about 9 feet away at most and I really liked it. Again, not knocking to science but like everything else I believe it boils down to personal preference and everyone's perception will vary. Take for example the lower section at a movie theater where you have to tilt your head up. Even on the last row of the front section, I feel I need to look around to see all of the screen, but I have friends who say they can see everything from there so maybe their peripheral vision is better than mine.
If I was 7 feet back I would get the 65 for gaming. I am between 5 and 5.5 feet depending on where I keep my chair. When in a racing game I have to move my eyes to see the map or tach and take my eyes off of the road. With a much bigger screen it would be a lot worse. I was watching a hockey game last night and it was hard to follow sitting 5 feet away from the 55 inch.

Definitely a personal preference thing.

I actually didn’t cancel the order yet. I may still set it up just to try it out, but I cannot move my seat back any further than 6ft otherwise it is out in the path of here we walk.

Last edited by raynist; 05-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.
post #1663 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 25766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
Yeah, it's kinda like when I go outside I have to turn my eyes/head to really see everything that's going on...
cah95046 likes this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #1664 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I just set it up last night so I only have a couple hours of experience.

I used it with Forza Horizons 3 on the xBox one x. I am sitting 5.5ft from the tv. I have a Logitech G920 wheel and a racing seat. I also have a 5.2 audio setup with a Denon 3400 receiver, DIY soundgroup Volt speakers and 2 SVS SB13+ subs. This is all tucked away in an area in my gameroom behind my couch.

I used it on movie mode with every video processing option turned off except game mode. After turning on game mode I turned back on the local dimming option as it gets turned off by default. I also used normal color temp. The only other thing I did was turn sharpness down to zero.

I couldn't be happier at this point. The only thing is I wonder if a 65incher would be that much better......
I've got a pretty similar setup to you with a racing seat and a T-GT wheel for my PS4 Pro, sitting about 6" away from the 55" 6-Series.

I see a very noticeable dirty screen effect on my 55R617 when playing Gran Turismo Sport; any time I turn and the camera pans across a blue sky I see 'dirty/dark' spots on the sky.

I intentionally avoided any "gray uniformity" or "dirty screen" tests in favor of just using the TV for the movies, shows, and games I wanted to watch on it and unfortunately I've seen a distracting dirty screen effect in several games, most notably GT Sport, Forza Horizon 3, and Witcher 3; all games where there's a blue sky that the camera pans across frequently.

Going to look into getting a replacement and hope for better luck with the next panel. Love the TV otherwise, and it's great for movies/TV, but the DSE is too distracting for my primary use of 4K gaming.
post #1665 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone know if local dimming adds latency to game mode?
post #1666 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerNY View Post
I've got a pretty similar setup to you with a racing seat and a T-GT wheel for my PS4 Pro, sitting about 6" away from the 55" 6-Series.

I see a very noticeable dirty screen effect on my 55R617 when playing Gran Turismo Sport; any time I turn and the camera pans across a blue sky I see 'dirty/dark' spots on the sky.

I intentionally avoided any "gray uniformity" or "dirty screen" tests in favor of just using the TV for the movies, shows, and games I wanted to watch on it and unfortunately I've seen a distracting dirty screen effect in several games, most notably GT Sport, Forza Horizon 3, and Witcher 3; all games where there's a blue sky that the camera pans across frequently.

Going to look into getting a replacement and hope for better luck with the next panel. Love the TV otherwise, and it's great for movies/TV, but the DSE is too distracting for my primary use of 4K gaming.
Definitely return it. I see no DSE or Banding playing games.
avshaman likes this.
post #1667 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Yeah, it's kinda like when I go outside I have to turn my eyes/head to really see everything that's going on...
Classic. Well said !!
post #1668 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Took the dive, expecting the 55 615 from Best Buy next week delivered. I had a 10% coupon I was able to use so it's a really good price. It made the difference between the 615 and the 617 $110 before tax.

I'm replacing a Vizio XVT473sv, one of the earliest full-array sets from ~2010. It was the 'value' buy back then as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the improvement.
post #1669 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glayde View Post
Took the dive, expecting the 55 615 from Best Buy next week delivered. I had a 10% coupon I was able to use so it's a really good price. It made the difference between the 615 and the 617 $110 before tax.

I'm replacing a Vizio XVT473sv, one of the earliest full-array sets from ~2010. It was the 'value' buy back then as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the improvement.

Did you use a birthday coupon? My fiancé has one that ends this month. I want to use her coupon with my BB card to get the 55 inch. I’m trying to figure out how to do this w/o going to the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1670 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1nenonly View Post
Did you use a birthday coupon? My fiancé has one that ends this month. I want to use her coupon with my BB card to get the 55 inch. I’m trying to figure out how to do this w/o going to the store.

I received the coupon in the email, I have gotten 1 or 2 the past year, it's a "EXCLUSIVE FOR YOU, Spruce up your Space"

Settle in to your new space with the latest
in smart home tech, home theater and
appliances with this 10% savings
just for you.

The coupon discount was right on the tv's item page on their site 'click here to apply the discount'', right under the regular 'add to cart' button. I can't show you it now since I used the discount.
post #1671 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glayde View Post
I received the coupon in the email, I have gotten 1 or 2 the past year, it's a "EXCLUSIVE FOR YOU, Spruce up your Space"

Settle in to your new space with the latest
in smart home tech, home theater and
appliances with this 10% savings
just for you.

The coupon discount was right on the tv's item page on their site 'click here to apply the discount'', right under the regular 'add to cart' button. I can't show you it now since I used the discount.

Ok thanks, I just opened an account and I got a 10% coupon as well. I’ll use that for the TV and use hers for a Logitech Harmony remote.

post #1672 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 11:35 AM

The nice thing is that the 10% coupon has a ton of other tv exclusions but not TCL.
I suppose it has to do with the lower price overall and the fact that TCL doesn't "buy space" on the floor so it isn't displayed as prominently.
post #1673 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
If I was 7 feet back I would get the 65 for gaming. I am between 5 and 5.5 feet depending on where I keep my chair. When in a racing game I have to move my eyes to see the map or tach and take my eyes off of the road. With a much bigger screen it would be a lot worse. I was watching a hockey game last night and it was hard to follow sitting 5 feet away from the 55 inch.

Definitely a personal preference thing.

I actually didn’t cancel the order yet. I may still set it up just to try it out, but I cannot move my seat back any further than 6ft otherwise it is out in the path of here we walk.
I can't blame you thinking 65" would be too big e at that distance. I'm around 6.5' from my 65" tv and it is nice for gaming. At 5 feet I'd find it to be too close.
post #1674 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecwrvd2 View Post
My second 55 inch came today from UPS. I caught the lady driver parked across the street and dragging the tv upside down across the street on my security camera and then placing it on my front steps upside down without a care. I told her that I will be showing this to UPS and to Amazon directly and then they will see why so many units are damaged.

He response was to "not buy TVs online" and to that I responded that this was the first time in over 10 TV purchases that I had this issue. Here's the video from my security camera

https://youtu.be/uOG4xJrWqQQ

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wow. I'll bet she has a dolly in the back of the truck. But they don't give a @#$& anyway so...
Ecwrvd2 likes this.
post #1675 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 01:53 PM

Liked: 11
I was able to find the coupon for Best Buy so I Cancelled my order on Amazon and ordered through Best Buy. Maybe the wife wont get too upset with me saving a hundred. not in stock for 250 miles on the 65" so having to wait for delivery on the 8th.
post #1676 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeTronic View Post
I was able to find the coupon for Best Buy so I Cancelled my order on Amazon and ordered through Best Buy. Maybe the wife wont get too upset with me saving a hundred. not in stock for 250 miles on the 65" so having to wait for delivery on the 8th.
Is this an online coupon available to anyone?
post #1677 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Is this an online coupon available to anyone?
I know i had this email hiding in my promotions folder of my gmail from when i signed up for emails from them a while ago. not sure how to get it currently. 10% is no small amount.
post #1678 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Took a video today to capture my banding issues if anyone wants to check it out. Is this what I should expect from a $650 TV?

post #1679 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgridgaway View Post
Took a video today to capture my banding issues if anyone wants to check it out. Is this what I should expect from a $650 TV?

https://youtu.be/SFUrZ2vnEH4
I’m going through the same issue. The TCL supervisor just told me that vertical banding is normal and doesn’t ensure any fixing of my TV, which is frustrating, but the majority of it works well, so I don’t know if it’s even worth switching out at my Best Buy 30-ish minutes out. I may just stick with it and enjoy it for the most part.
post #1680 of 7257 Old 05-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKingpin View Post
I’m going through the same issue. The TCL supervisor just told me that vertical banding is normal and doesn’t ensure any fixing of my TV, which is frustrating, but the majority of it works well, so I don’t know if it’s even worth switching out at my Best Buy 30-ish minutes out. I may just stick with it and enjoy it for the most part.
My issue is that TCL is replying to reviewers on both Amazon and Bestbuy that this is not normal, and then telling people via email too bad, so sad. I have until June 1st to return, but I want to maybe give it another week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page