TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3237Likes

post #241 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
Will the R617 models still accept IR commands from 3rd party remotes, even though it's own remote is RF? (so that you can at least do power, volume & maybe input from cable/sat or other universal remotes)
Can you take an IR remote from an R615 model & use it's functions on an R617? (in case I would need one to get IR codes for every button on the remote, to program a universal remote)
I asked on Amazon if the R617 can accept Ir commands and TCL USA replied that it definitely could and be used with any standard/regular universal remote. They provided this link as well to help with finding the proper remote codes:

https://support.tclusa.com/26534-rem...8-remote-codes
dishrich likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 04:54 AM
beq

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanoise View Post
Is the voice/RF remote worth the extra $50 for the 55"? I feel like it won't be very useful and there's no headphone jack, which could have swayed me.

Could imagic and Amazon/BB customers kindly post photo of TCL's new enhanced Wi-Fi remote and basic IR remote? Preferrably angled to show the top buttons as well as the thickness profile.

Since the 2018 TCL enhanced remote for the R617 and S517 TV's lacks the headphone jack, is it a slimmer unit similar to the Roku Streaming Stick remote?

FYI the 2017 TCL enhanced remote (model RC126 / BRC64) is a full-size remote with headphone jack, similar to the Roku Ultra remote (originally model RC135). Here's the two side by side:

In contrast the Roku Streaming Stick remote (model RC127) is a slimmer voice remote without headphone jack. Here it is in the middle between the Ultra remote and Apple TV remote, showing relative thickness:

The 2017 TCL basic IR remote (model RC280) is also a slimmer remote. Here it is next to the 2017 TCL enhanced remote:

Last edited by beq; 04-27-2018 at 08:01 PM.
post #243 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 115
@imagic : could you measure the dimensions of the box the 65-inch came in? I would prefer to pick it up locally and need to know if it will fit in my friend's SUV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8669 Post(s)
Liked: 15152
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post
@imagic : could you measure the dimensions of the box the 65-inch came in? I would prefer to pick it up locally and need to know if it will fit in my friend's SUV.
42" x 65" x 9"
GhaSper_-, afr52 and Matt2026 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #245 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:12 AM
beq

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hmm is this Engadget pic for the 2018 TCL enhanced remote?

Looks similar to the Roku Streaming Stick slim remote, even down to the 4th channel shortcut button being DirecTV Now (all of the Roku and TCL remotes last year have varied the label for the 4th channel shortcut). It looks like this year, TCL is also getting the contoured button shapes of the current Roku remotes, nice.

P.S. To clarify, TCL TV and Roku player remotes do have functional differences, such as that TCL has a side mute button.

Roku enhanced remotes have both Wi-Fi and an IR emitter to work in different scenarios. The IR is nominally only used to adjust 3rd-party TV power and volume (unless you can enable HDMI-CEC control), but the remote also switches to IR mode to control the Roku system whenever the Wi-Fi Direct connection is lost or temporarily disrupted.

You could pair Roku enhanced remotes to a TCL TV and everything worked fine (note that power and volume control is not sent via IR in this case). Just like you could pair TCL enhanced remotes to a TCL TV that was originally bundled with a basic IR remote (pairing happens at boot-up, or you can toggle the UI manually).

You could also pair TCL enhanced remotes to a Roku box (hooked up to a 3rd-party TV), but the power and volume buttons can't be re-programmed.
post #246 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post
64.8" x 42.9" x 8.4" From TCL web site
GhaSper_- likes this.

DEN Samsung UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 Atmos / Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player
Living Room TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 Atmos / M-5010 Amplifier / Sam. UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player . BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #247 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Got pizza. Got beer. Netflix queued up, using the internal app. I wanted to check out the documentary series "Rapture" and, to my surprise (and yet of course no surprise at all) it's streaming in Dolby Vision. So, that's cool. Audio is "just" 5.1 and I'll send that to an AVR via ARC. Hard not to be impressed with the overall competence of this TV, and the menu settings are quite easy to use to get a picture that suits the content and viewing environment. That counts for a lot, especially tweaking that HDR gamma curve to compensate for room brightness, that should be standard on all HDR TVs.
So, without technical terms, how well is the contrast and overall vibrancy of this TV? Would someone like me be blown away with the overall image coming from using a 1080p PC monitor this whole time (Besides the jump to 4K)? I used to have a cheap 4K TV from LG that included Active HDR (I think it was the UH6300 49”) and it looked horrid for HDR games. Plus, the contrast wasn’t impressive, but will this TV be vastly different as a premium model?
post #248 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser7787 View Post
Has anyone had a shipping confirmation yet? Mine still shows arriving tomorrow by 8PM but a lot of people are seeing their shipping dates pushes into May a few weeks.
Hello Charles,

"TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra..." has shipped.

Details

Order #

Arriving:
Saturday, April 28

Shipped with FedEx
Tracking ID
Friday, April 27
2:01 AM
Package arrived at a carrier facility
Bloomington, CA US
Thursday, April 26
Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier
US
post #249 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKingpin View Post
So, without technical terms, how well is the contrast and overall vibrancy of this TV? Would someone like me be blown away with the overall image coming from using a 1080p PC monitor this whole time (Besides the jump to 4K)? I used to have a cheap 4K TV from LG that included Active HDR (I think it was the UH6300 49”) and it looked horrid for HDR games. Plus, the contrast wasn’t impressive, but will this TV be vastly different as a premium model?
This looked really good. As in, scary good. Should I get more explicit? I have to come up with a good way to describe what's going on here because that Netflix stream didn't just look good, it was free of artifacts and looked incredible. If I were to base it just on what I saw last night, I don't see why most people would bother buying an OLED or ultra-premium LCD at more that triple the price. As for "more money buys you more performance" that remains true. It's just that the law of diminishing returns kicks in extremely hard right here at 999 bucks.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #250 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
This looked really good. As in, scary good. Should I get more explicit? I have to come up with a good way to describe what's going on here because that Netflix stream didn't just look good, it was free of artifacts and looked incredible. If I were to base it just on what I saw last night, I don't see why most people would bother buying an OLED or ultra-premium LCD at more that triple the price. As for "more money buys you more performance" that remains true. It's just that the law of diminishing returns kicks in extremely hard right here at 999 bucks.
That’s incredible to hear! I was on the fence for this TV, and even then, I was only going to get the 55” since I’m putting this in my bedroom, but I’ll happily pay the extra for the 65” and get the full experience. I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to answer people’s questions regarding this set. You have been incredible the whole time. I do have one more question (For now), but is the overall look of this HDR vs. Something of the LG UH6300 series going to be better? Because, I don’t know if what they had was ‘true’ HDR, but it looked awful, so I am assuming not. I’m sure that’s a dumb question but I thought I would ask it anyway.
post #251 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
That's a strong endorsement of the TV. I've been interested in this TV and the Vizio P because of diminishing returns. Even though I would love OLED, I cannot justify the price difference. With my Plasma getting new life by using a different HDMI port (who knew that was causing the brightness decrease and blue color shift) I may be able to hold out until next year for HDMI 2.1 and make the 50ST30 last 8 years instead of 7.
post #252 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Just wanted to let you guys know that I ordered the 55” model today from Best Buy and I’m picking it up later this morning. They actually had some in stock at a Best Buy warehouse here in the Atlanta area. I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X that I will be testing various 4K HDR games with. I’ll post my impressions and lots of pictures for you.

Now I’m no professional calibrator and don’t have any fancy tools to run tests with actual numbers but if you guys have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them.

I bought the P series from last year and wanted to love it but something just seemed to be lacking. One of the main issues I had with it was the motion blur when playing games. On the set I owned, it was terrible. I even posted a video on YouTube showing how blurry the image was with scrolling text to give people and idea of what I was seeing. I really hope that’s been fixed with this years model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #253 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
That's a strong endorsement of the TV. I've been interested in this TV and the Vizio P because of diminishing returns. Even though I would love OLED, I cannot justify the price difference. With my Plasma getting new life by using a different HDMI port (who knew that was causing the brightness decrease and blue color shift) I may be able to hold out until next year for HDMI 2.1 and make the 50ST30 last 8 years instead of 7.
I'm in the same boat here though I'm using a 54G10 from Summer 2009 which is about to hit its 9-year mark and honestly still looks great for gaming (I have a separate projector for TV/Movie viewing).

The 55" 6-series at $650 is the first TV in 9 years that has really got me tempted to upgrade for 4K/HDR gaming but I'm still not 100% sure about what the tradeoffs will be of switching from a 9-year-old plasma to a brand-new LCD. TCL's pricing is cheap enough that I might just make an impulse buy to find out.
post #254 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKingpin View Post
That’s incredible to hear! I was on the fence for this TV, and even then, I was only going to get the 55” since I’m putting this in my bedroom, but I’ll happily pay the extra for the 65” and get the full experience. I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to answer people’s questions regarding this set. You have been incredible the whole time. I do have one more question (For now), but is the overall look of this HDR vs. Something of the LG UH6300 series going to be better? Because, I don’t know if what they had was ‘true’ HDR, but it looked awful, so I am assuming not. I’m sure that’s a dumb question but I thought I would ask it anyway.
LG makes IPS LCDs with a native contrast that is too low for HDR, especially with an edgelit set. A TV like that cannot properly render HDR whereas the TCL 6-series offers a good taste of what HDR can do, which is look quite amazing when its optimized.

I mean, it's gotta be said: Samsung needs to just adopt Dolby Vision like... yesterday. Based on my first Netflix experience, it appears Dolby Vision streaming on the TCL 6-Series closes the gap between this TV and much more expensive options. Of course I need to watch some movies including "tough" scenes to have the more nuanced opinion on what the tv offers, and I plan to do that over this weekend. But today is calibration day.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #255 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How does this do upscaling comcasts 1080i/p from their x1 boxes?
mrock12 likes this.
post #256 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glayde View Post
How does this do upscaling comcasts 1080i/p from their x1 boxes?
Someone else will have to answer that one, I severed all my ties with that company a few years back and as an aside would like to mention that I have not had a service interruption with my FIOS Internet since.
GhaSper_- and Smigro like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #257 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
LG makes IPS LCDs with a native contrast that is too low for HDR, especially with an edgelit set. A TV like that cannot properly render HDR whereas the TCL 6-series offers a good taste of what HDR can do, which is look quite amazing when its optimized.

I mean, it's gotta be said: Samsung needs to just adopt Dolby Vision like... yesterday. Based on my first Netflix experience, it appears Dolby Vision streaming on the TCL 6-Series closes the gap between this TV and much more expensive options. Of course I need to watch some movies including "tough" scenes to have the more nuanced opinion on what the tv offers, and I plan to do that over this weekend. But today is calibration day.
Just wondering, but do you have an ETA of when you may have a full review up? Thanks for all the tidbits you've given us so far. I already purchased the 65" based on your early observations.
post #258 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Mark, is it worth upgrading from the 2017 model to the 65 inch? Gaming (pro and X) plus streaming, movie watching etc. Is the HDR performance noticeably better than the 2017, 55 inch? Im thinking of waiting until they hit over a 1000 nits or it doesnt matter?

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #259 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback on the TV you have posted so far. After this post I am 80% ready to pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that I ordered the 55” model today from Best Buy and I’m picking it up later this morning. They actually had some in stock at a Best Buy warehouse here in the Atlanta area. I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X that I will be testing various 4K HDR games with. I’ll post my impressions and lots of pictures for you.

Now I’m no professional calibrator and don’t have any fancy tools to run tests with actual numbers but if you guys have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them.

I bought the P series from last year and wanted to love it but something just seemed to be lacking. One of the main issues I had with it was the motion blur when playing games. On the set I owned, it was terrible. I even posted a video on YouTube showing how blurry the image was with scrolling text to give people and idea of what I was seeing. I really hope that’s been fixed with this years model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please post when you get a chance! I'll be using this TV for just gaming. Like you I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I need to play God Of War in HDR.
imagic likes this.
post #260 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Mark, is it worth upgrading from the 2017 model to the 65 inch? Gaming (pro and X) plus streaming, movie watching etc. Is the HDR performance noticeably better than the 2017, 55 inch? Im thinking of waiting until they hit over a 1000 nits or it doesnt matter?
Overall, yes. More zones, bigger screen, metal bezel... The whole package is quite the upgrade at 65".

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #261 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerNY View Post
I'm in the same boat here though I'm using a 54G10 from Summer 2009 which is about to hit its 9-year mark and honestly still looks great for gaming (I have a separate projector for TV/Movie viewing).

The 55" 6-series at $650 is the first TV in 9 years that has really got me tempted to upgrade for 4K/HDR gaming but I'm still not 100% sure about what the tradeoffs will be of switching from a 9-year-old plasma to a brand-new LCD. TCL's pricing is cheap enough that I might just make an impulse buy to find out.
I'm in the same boat, looking to upgrade my 2009 Panasonic plasma. The 2017's P605 was a letdown, unfortunately. My 9-year-old plasma still looks better than it... Hoping the 6-series changes that. I think motion handling will be the main factor.
sheshechic likes this.
post #262 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2020 View Post
I'm in the same boat, looking to upgrade my 2009 Panasonic plasma. The 2017's P605 was a letdown, unfortunately. My 9-year-old plasma still looks better than it... Hoping the 6-series changes that. I think motion handling will be the main factor.
If that's the yardstick you use, just remember that plasma's motion rendering simply cannot be matched by sample-and-hold LCD or OLED. And for SDR playback, beating a Panny plasma is no easy task. Anyhow, this 6-Series "version 2.0" of TCL's FALD is indeed an improvement over the P605.
GhaSper_- likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-27-2018 at 06:52 AM.
post #263 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Just placed my order for a 55" from Best Buy today. I get to do instore pickup on the 1st!
post #264 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
If that's the yardstick you use, just remember that plasma's motion rendering simply cannot be matched by sample-and-hold LCD or OLED. And for SDR playback, beating a Panny plasma is no easy task. Anyhow, this 6-Series "version 2.0" of TCL's FALD is indeed an improvement over the P605.
I'm using my 2009 Panasonic plasma exclusively for gaming, currently a mix of PC (supersampled at 4K), PS4 Pro, Wii U, Switch, PS3.

My assumption is that the 6-series is going to be an improvement for PC and PS4 games (where I can get 4K and/or HDR) but might actually be worse for the older/1080p consoles like the PS3 where all I need is a nice 1080p 60Hz display.

120Hz would have been nice to let me watch some video content at 4K with better motion but I can live without that at this price and will continue to rely on my 1080p projector for 24 fps content.

Has anyone seen what the PWM flicker rate is for the 6-series? I remember reading that the Sony X900E flickers at 720Hz but the TCL P607 was at 120Hz and was wondering if the 6-series is improved at all in that regard.
post #265 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

Mark, are you aware of the Dolby Channel ? If you haven't seen it yet, you can find it in the New and Notable Channels section. there's some pretty cool demo material there.
PlanetAVS likes this.

Last edited by rockaway1836; 04-27-2018 at 07:10 AM.
post #266 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
@imagic

Are you calibrating Dolby Vision specifically for supported apps and is that under Delta-E ICtCp, color space as well?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
post #267 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
@imagic

Are you calibrating Dolby Vision specifically for supported apps and is that under Delta-E ICtCp, color space as well?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
No, I'm not calibrating Dolby Vision at all. Indeed, I think it's reasonable to say that when a TV cost $999 bucks and promises good out of the box color, spending too much time getting ultra-granular when rtings.com is going to do the same thing anyway makes no sense. Plus I saw nothing wrong with the current performance of Dolby Vision on this TV. I wouldn't mess with it. I'm a performing a standard calibration for BT.709, and that's about it. My first impression is that this TV just needs a color balance tweak to perform extremely well, I'm seeing the same slight reddish tint that Chris at wirecutter saw, which once corrected snaps everything else into place. It is my belief that a simple 2-point correction is all this TV needs.
Dartman and GhaSper_- like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-27-2018 at 07:21 AM.
post #268 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Confirmed with amazon my TCL is sitting waiting to be picked up for delivery tomorrow!

I will be setting up a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and testing alot of HDR content. I will post pics of the games running on the TCL after I get everything set up. Possibly with a comparison to my KS8000 to see how the FALD holds up against an edge lit set. STOKED!
ScottieBoysName and James2020 like this.
post #269 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
have you had a chance to compare the TCL to Sony X900F yet?
post #270 of 6238 Old 04-27-2018, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
That was my concern regarding motion, based on all the LCDs I've seen. And standard def content on the P605 did indeed look horrid. It was essentially like streaming at 144p on YouTube. Luckily, virtually everything I watch is in HD, so that shouldn't be much of an issue if I go for the 6-series. Is there any LCD (I'd love OLED, but it's just too dang expensive) comparable in price and performance to the TCL that also handles motion better? (unlikely, I know, but worth a shot)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page