TCL 65" 6-Series 4K HDR TV First Look & Review - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3355Likes

post #2761 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Just picked up my 55 inch from BB. No visible banding. As expected the dark corners are there but nothing to worry about.

I can say this TV is a heck of a lot brighter than the P series from last year. Also noted that the firmware is Version : 802 Build 4140. While my P series is still on Version : 800 Build : 4183
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
One more plug for this awesome TV!

Paired with a Samsung HW-M450 (Costco's version, HW-MM45C) connected via ARC, I am really enjoying Movies and TV, night and day. The black levels are AMAZING! Compared to my 2012 Samsung Plasma, the 6 series has a much larger brightness range - from deep blacks to super bright whites - and the colors really pop!

I got my 55R617 from Amazon; it arrived undamaged, no DSE or banding, slightly dark corners (this is normal for a backlit screen).
post #2763 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I'm looking to get the 55" 615 or 617 for the guest bedroom and extra room in case my wife wants to watch something different when I'm watching sports or video games.

It will be next to a window and it seems most negative comments refer to lack of brightness.

(1) Will reflections be a real issue?

(2) Are the speakers good enough for a 10x10 room?

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 10:51 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I'm looking to get the 55" 615 or 617 for the guest bedroom and extra room in case my wife wants to watch something different when I'm watching sports or video games.

It will be next to a window and it seems most negative comments refer to lack of brightness.

The TCL 6 series has very high levels of brightness compared to other TVs in its price range (700 knits SDR, 850 knits HDR), so I'm not sure what you mean by negative comments about brightness. Reflections will probably be annoying depending on your room setup, but that's going to be the case with a lot of TVs since most are semi-glossy. TV speakers are notoriously bad, and the 6 series speakers are not great. If you want it to sound good you're probably going to want speakers or a sound bar.
pbz06 likes this.
post #2765 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

No glare issues for us. Floor to ceiling window about four feet to the side with light curtains.

TV speakers most likely good enough. If not an inexpensive ($130)sound bar would do the trick. I do sound bar, wife is ok with TV speakers. Win-Win.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom TCL.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	2419652  
pbz06 likes this.
post #2766 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peja View Post
No glare issues for us. Floor to ceiling window about four feet to the side with light curtains.

TV speakers most likely good enough. If not an inexpensive ($130)sound bar would do the trick. I do sound bar, wife is ok with TV speakers. Win-Win.
Ok cool, figured it was exaggerated.

I think I'll pick it up today

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #2767 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 03:07 PM

Liked: 9
Quote:

How is it comfortable to stare up at your TV like that?
post #2768 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeve4 View Post

LOL I was gonna mention the same thing. My bro has a set up like that and it's ridiculous. It's like watching off axis always.
post #2769 of 6564 Old 06-23-2018, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeve4 View Post
Not bad at all. 8 foot ceiling and pedestal bed. Slight tilt down and a couple of pillows and am very comfortable. Head to TV is about 14'.

It is about 6" higher than planned on as original Samsung vesa holes are centered where TCL are lower on the back. I was too lazy to remount wall bracket.
AbeTronic likes this.
post #2770 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:

It is about 6" higher than planned on as original Samsung vesa holes are centered where TCL are lower on the back. I was too lazy to remount wall bracket.
Ha! That exact reason is why I bought a P605 instead of the R615! The P605’s VESA holes are more centered vs the R615. The R615’s holes are low enough to where I would *have* to remount the wall bracket in order to mount the R615 (the top of the TV would hit the ceiling before I could slide it down onto the bracket). Way more work than I wanted to do, lol!
AbeTronic and Peja like this.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #2771 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Quote:
Ok cool, figured it was exaggerated.

I think I'll pick it up today
Not to throw you back into a mini-tailspin on this aspect, but that picture represents the almost ideal mounting circumstance for minimizing reflections. Specifically, mounted with a fairly significant down tilt. So then reflections are mostly coming off of the furniture and carpet vs. windows.
post #2772 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First off, my remote issues were due to the center channel being in front of the IR sensor. Have had zero issues using the RF remote.

Secondly, I am having trouble telling which apps on the TV will stream 4K/HDR. I am positive Netflix does and that Google Play and HBO don't. Does Prime Video? Does Youtube? I am thinking about picking up a Chromecast Ultra so that I can rent UHD movies using my Google Play credit, but if Prime Video needs a different source as well I am wondering if I have to go with a different solution.
post #2773 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Yes to YouTube and prime video. Hbo doesnt stream on anything in 4k I believe.
post #2774 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
This is something I can actually evaluate without buying the TV. The design is minimalist with high quality plastic and metal. IMO the TLC R617 review had a negative tinge from the start with the low score for design and build quality (only reinforced by the Vizio getting a 8.5/8.0). Then the local dimming was knocked for having a limited number of zones though this isn't mentioned with other FALD televisions with a similar number of zones or less.

I agree the television shows its price with a native 60 Hz panel and a semi-gloss finish but otherwise appears to be a good performer.
The bezel is much wider than the Vizios and the black inside the edge makes it look even slimmer. TCL sides are over twice as thick, the feet are not nearly as refined looking and the front light is not the best idea. They mentioned fewer zones because, umm, it has fewer zones. Build quality relates to gaps and how well a design is finished and the Vizio clearly looks tighter gaped and more refined. I don't see bias here. The only mistake they made was buying the 55 instead of the 65.
post #2775 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
The bezel is much wider than the Vizios and the black inside the edge makes it look even slimmer. TCL sides are over twice as thick, the feet are not nearly as refined looking and the front light is not the best idea. They mentioned fewer zones because, umm, it has fewer zones. Build quality relates to gaps and how well a design is finished and the Vizio clearly looks tighter gaped and more refined. I don't see bias here. The only mistake they made was buying the 55 instead of the 65.
When rtings.com reviewed the TCL R617 they weren't comparing the zone count to the P55-F1 because, umm, they haven't tested it yet. Obviously I was referring to televisions such as the Sony 900F and Samsung Q8FN.

They actually thought the front light looked nice and that you don't think it's a good idea is your opinion - I can take it or leave it. Ditto for your take on the feet. The overall thickness and border width are almost identical to each other. The bezel thickness shouldn't factor into design nor build quality. As for the gaps I'm not seeing any gap on the TCL between the border and front bezel as where the Vizio appears to have a small gap between the border and bezel along the top. As for the gaps from the back I'm not noticing one having the advantage over the other.

I do think the matte finish on the top half of the TCL gives the back panel of higher quality feel and look than the Vizio but that falls under the same category as you thinking the feet from the TCL as not nearly as refined looking. And it's not like Vizio is known for stellar quality control either. I still don't see the justification for the TLC getting notably lower marks for design and quality.

BTW, I purchased the TCL 55R615 yesterday and I returned it today due to banding and DSE issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0028.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	949.1 KB
ID:	2420040  
Ricanlegend21 likes this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #2776 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Extremely frustrated. Got my replacement from tcl support today. Looked like the box was thrown down a flight of stairs. Tech said it was delivered without the bottom piece of the box on it but because the tv showed no sign of physical damage he accepted and brought it. The damn thing has worse clouding/white spot issue on dark scenes than the one they took away and the dse is soooo terrible. There is also 2 dark spots right in the middle of tv where the screen is attached to whatever is behind it. This tv has absolute horrible quality in manufacturing. Now I'll be taking another video, sending it to support, and probably be waiting another 2 weeks to get a tv that wouldn't surprise me if the screen is on backwards. Lol. Ugh. Time for round 4. :/
post #2777 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
55" Dimming zones
Vizio - 56
TCL - 96

65" Dimming Zones
Vizio - 100
TCL - 120

Side by side comparison of rtings FALD (TCL on the left, Vizio on the right):
https://viewsync.net/watch?v=9X12EPQ...&t=0&mode=solo

It's totally absurd that the TCL gets a 6 and the Vizio gets an 8. Perhaps in real content Vizio's FALD looks better, but based on what their own demonstation, it's utter nonsense.

As far as design goes I'm pretty sure they just make up a number for that. My old Samsung KU6300 got an 8.5 for design, and it's entirely plastic.
Ricanlegend21 likes this.
post #2778 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 360
been lurking in this tcl thread for a while ,so wanting to get that 65 ' but very scared of the banding and dse .had heart set out for the sony x900e or f of black friday .
is the issue fixed yet ? is it just the tv 's from march that are affected ? maybe it is the ones from amazon?
damn very upset as it looks like a phenomenal deal at 999 or 949$
i read that a few members had good sets with no issues but the majority that complain really is detering me from tcl so far and getting me looking at the vizio p or sony f

klipsch klf-30 s Vizio p65
klipsch klf c-7 x 2
klipsch klf-20 s
onkyo tx Nr-818 Vizio p65
3 crown xls 2502 1 xls 1502, HSU vtf-15 Mk 2
post #2779 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Dellinger View Post
55" Dimming zones
Vizio - 56
TCL - 96

65" Dimming Zones
Vizio - 100
TCL - 120

Side by side comparison of rtings FALD (TCL on the left, Vizio on the right):
https://viewsync.net/watch?v=9X12EPQ...&t=0&mode=solo

It's totally absurd that the TCL gets a 6 and the Vizio gets an 8. Perhaps in real content Vizio's FALD looks better, but based on what their own demonstation, it's utter nonsense.

As far as design goes I'm pretty sure they just make up a number for that. My old Samsung KU6300 got an 8.5 for design.
It's a demo, not the sole basis of their score. Design is always somewhat subjective and while I find the TCL quite acceptable, there really is no question as to which is clearly more attractive and 'looks' to be of higher quality. A Sony 900f has even fewer dimming zones. Doesn't make it a worse TV. The TCL may be too aggressive on local dimming and while it's great for slower moving contrast can get caught out on faster movement. In fact, it's been reported here.

Look, no one said you have to agree with their scoring but to imply some sort of bias is wrong. Trying to convince us won't make a very good TCL any better.

Last edited by js950; 06-24-2018 at 05:43 PM.
post #2780 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When rtings.com reviewed the TCL R617 they weren't comparing the zone count to the P55-F1 because, umm, they haven't tested it yet. Obviously I was referring to televisions such as the Sony 900F and Samsung Q8FN.

They actually thought the front light looked nice and that you don't think it's a good idea is your opinion - I can take it or leave it. Ditto for your take on the feet. The overall thickness and border width are almost identical to each other. The bezel thickness shouldn't factor into design nor build quality. As for the gaps I'm not seeing any gap on the TCL between the border and front bezel as where the Vizio appears to have a small gap between the border and bezel along the top. As for the gaps from the back I'm not noticing one having the advantage over the other.

I do think the matte finish on the top half of the TCL gives the back panel of higher quality feel and look than the Vizio but that falls under the same category as you thinking the feet from the TCL as not nearly as refined looking. And it's not like Vizio is known for stellar quality control either. I still don't see the justification for the TLC getting notably lower marks for design and quality.

BTW, I purchased the TCL 55R615 yesterday and I returned it today due to banding and DSE issues.
Didn't mean to imply fewer zones than the Vizio. just that it has fewer zones than others as stated and in response to post I quoted. Front light never helps a picture and is a distraction for some. If those bezels look the same thickness on the front and sides to you, I can't begin to have this discussion. It also folds the bottom of the front over the side bezel. There's a clear difference unless you don't want to see it. Again, the TCL cosmetics and build would be fine for me so I'm not dumping on it, it's just that it's easy to see where the scoring originated.
post #2781 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
been lurking in this tcl thread for a while ,so wanting to get that 65 ' but very scared of the banding and dse .had heart set out for the sony x900e or f of black friday .
is the issue fixed yet ? is it just the tv 's from march that are affected ? maybe it is the ones from amazon?
damn very upset as it looks like a phenomenal deal at 999 or 949$
i read that a few members had good sets with no issues but the majority that complain really is detering me from tcl so far and getting me looking at the vizio p or sony f
Anecdotally, it seems that the 65" has better chances of panel lottery. Or maybe more people buy the 55", skewing the results, not sure.

Quote:
It's a demo, not the sole basis of their score. Design is always somewhat subjective and while I find the TCL quite acceptable, there really is no question as to which is clearly more attractive and 'looks' to be of higher quality. A Sony 900f has even fewer dimming zones. Doesn't make it a worse TV. The TCL may be too aggressive on local dimming and while it's great for slower moving contrast can get caught out on faster movement. In fact, it's been reported here.

Look, no one said you have to agree with their scoring but to imply some sort of bias is wrong. Trying to convince us won't make a very good TCL any better.
It would be fine if they went more into detail, but their description of it is hey we see more some blooming on the TCL. From their Vizio review: "There is very little clouding as the algorithm is very aggressive." Then their TCL review: "On the other hand, there is some obvious clouding around the moving objects. This is because of the inherent limitations of FALD technology and should not worry most people." No notes on the limitations of FALD on the Vizio review and the side by side is just laughable.

While it's true that more dimming zones doesn't mean better, that's typically what you are getting when you buy a more expensive TV. The new Vizio PQ will have 192 zones, and with the same algorithm more zones will always perform better than less zones.

I'm not saying there is a bias, I'm saying given the information in the reviews the score, mostly the FALD score, doesn't make any sense. Design is whatever. Like I said, my 2016 Samsung KU6300 got an 8.5 and it's all plastic.
post #2782 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Didn't mean to imply fewer zones than the Vizio. just that it has fewer zones than others as stated and in response to post I quoted. Front light never helps a picture and is a distraction for some. If those bezels look the same thickness on the front and sides to you, I can't begin to have this discussion. It also folds the bottom of the front over the side bezel. There's a clear difference unless you don't want to see it. Again, the TCL cosmetics and build would be fine for me so I'm not dumping on it, it's just that it's easy to see where the scoring originated.
1) the light goes off when the television is turned on

2) I didn’t say the bezels appear the same size, I’m saying because one is larger doesn’t mean it’s has a worse design or denotes lower quality. No doubt the difference is clear but that in itself doesn’t make one better than the other.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #2783 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1) the light goes off when the television is turned on

2) I didn’t say the bezels appear the same size, I’m saying because one is larger doesn’t mean it’s has a worse design or denotes lower quality. No doubt the difference is clear but that in itself doesn’t make one better than the other.
Your right about the light. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume better build when the gaps are smaller, the finish better and done with a less bulky appearance. It's the same parameters they use on every set. 60hz, 8-bit panel may play into it as well. There is cost cutting in both the sets. There has to be but it's more apparent in the TCL.
post #2784 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wasn’t there a Samsung model where the back panel was held together with an adhesive and it had a tendency to come apart? I wonder what rtings gave that model for quality.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #2785 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplizit View Post
Extremely frustrated. Got my replacement from tcl support today. Looked like the box was thrown down a flight of stairs. Tech said it was delivered without the bottom piece of the box on it but because the tv showed no sign of physical damage he accepted and brought it. The damn thing has worse clouding/white spot issue on dark scenes than the one they took away and the dse is soooo terrible. There is also 2 dark spots right in the middle of tv where the screen is attached to whatever is behind it. This tv has absolute horrible quality in manufacturing. Now I'll be taking another video, sending it to support, and probably be waiting another 2 weeks to get a tv that wouldn't surprise me if the screen is on backwards. Lol. Ugh. Time for round 4. :/
Did they not let you test the TV before taking the other one away?
post #2786 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Wasn’t there a Samsung model where the back panel was held together with an adhesive and it had a tendency to come apart? I wonder what rtings gave that model for quality.
It was last year's models. I think it was the MU8000
post #2787 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Did they not let you test the TV before taking the other one away?
Depends on what you mean by test. Tcl hires independent techs. All they do is take it out of box, hook it up, take a picture of it running a random YouTube video, and leave. They won't do more than that unfortunately. If it turns on, he gets paid. From there i have to deal with support again and have another sent through the bowels of the hell that is pilot freight. It was several days late, which makes me wonder what the hell happened to this tv in shipping to have the box look as it did. Wish I would have taken picture. The tech had a pic just in case something was wrong with it. Im sure Tcl will make it right, just going through this for the 4th time doesn't speak well for tcl quality per unit. Too bad as, besides the defect i keep getting, the pic is really nice. Should've just went back to best buy again, but that 3 strikes rule worries me. Not trying to get banned from returns in case there something else i need to return.
post #2788 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by test. Tcl hires independent techs. All they do is take it out of box, hook it up, take a picture of it running a random YouTube video, and leave. They won't do more than that unfortunately. If it turns on, he gets paid. From there i have to deal with support again and have another sent through the bowels of the hell that is pilot freight. It was several days late, which makes me wonder what the hell happened to this tv in shipping to have the box look as it did. Wish I would have taken picture. The tech had a pic just in case something was wrong with it. Im sure Tcl will make it right, just going through this for the 4th time doesn't speak well for tcl quality per unit. Too bad as, besides the defect i keep getting, the pic is really nice. Should've just went back to best buy again, but that 3 strikes rule worries me. Not trying to get banned from returns in case there something else i need to return.
I thought maybe they would let you turn it on, check the DSE or banding. If it was worse tell him to take it back?
post #2789 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I thought maybe they would let you turn it on, check the DSE or banding. If it was worse tell him to take it back?
I asked him about if I did some tests and didnt like this tv what he could do. He could do nothing. He is only allowed to exchange those sets and make sure the new one isn't physically damaged from shipping. TcL only sends out the one tv anyways, so either way I have to contact support and discuss it with them. I think I jinxed myself, though. I joked to him that knowing my luck, this tv would be worse and Id be seeing him again in 2 weeks. Now, here I am emailing support again tomorrow. It's just my luck. Lol.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that taking it back is a very long trip from Illinois to Texas. These TVs have to be freighted back and forth. The tech wasn't even sure how he was going to send back the one exchange with the box being so damaged. Something strange, though. I live in central Illinois. TCL sent TV from Texas. They sent it to Chicago first, 350 miles north, to send back south to the tech that is 55 miles north of me. It's a cluster. Lol

Last edited by xplizit; 06-24-2018 at 09:06 PM.
post #2790 of 6564 Old 06-24-2018, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I asked him about if I did some tests and didnt like this tv what he could do. He could do nothing. He is only allowed to exchange those sets and make sure the new one isn't physically damaged from shipping. TcL only sends out the one tv anyways, so either way I have to contact support and discuss it with them. I think I jinxed myself, though. I joked to him that knowing my luck, this tv would be worse and Id be seeing him again in 2 weeks. Now, here I am emailing support again tomorrow. It's just my luck. Lol.
Bummer, that is why I bought mine locally at Best Buy, easy return if needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
6-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page