Poll: Poll: Is Your TV Calibrated or Optimized? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have You Optimized or Calibrated Your TV?
I use my TV the way came out of the box 13 4.17%
I set my TV to Movie mode for movies, but that's it 39 12.50%
I optimize my TV using patterns and images designed for that purpose 142 45.51%
I use a two-point calibration, no CMS adjustment 11 3.53%
I use a two-point calibration with CMS adjustment 11 3.53%
I use a 10-point (or 20-point) calibration, no CMS adjustment 14 4.49%
I use a 10-point (or 20-point) calibration with CMS adjustment 64 20.51%
I use a 3D LUT calibration 13 4.17%
I just turn on maximum soap opera effect in Vivid mode and call it a day 3 0.96%
I have no idea what you are talking about 2 0.64%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #61 of 70 Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I first got serious about TVs, I did get a pro calibrator. But I honestly did not like the results. I found that its a very personal thing (especially contrast and saturation). I also found that pro calibrators mostly only calibrate to the standard which is geared for a "near black-out" room and it will not look good as soon as you have even a moderate amount of ambient light.

So, after that, I decided to learn how to calibrate myself. I did pretty good and even posted my results here (many years ago). It only cost a few hundred to get a cheap color meter but it took many, many hours to learn how to do this correctly and to learn the low level calibration menu settings for the TV. Getting to the grey scale number is much easier today (no long need special service menu for many TVs) but its still fairly complex. But, for me, that is the only correction (i.e. color) that really needs correcting.

Anyway, with my most recent TV, I have not done any "pro" type of calibration. I did try to do a bit of grey scale changes but I found I had a hard time correcting yellow (still looks too red) without messing up other colors etc. In the end, I gave up and just focused on color/saturation/contrast/gamma etc. Those I feel I have a pretty good setup for my taste.

I would like a pro calibration to see if the colors could be a bit more accurate but I hate the idea of spending a few hundred bucks on a decent calibrator. I think this is the main reason most people don't bother. They either don't know what it is, or that they may need it or they know but don't want to spend up to 30% of the cost of the TV to "calibrate it". It is very expensive relative to how cheap TVs are today. But if you have money to spend and an expensive TV, it may be worth it but don't expect anything great if you already adjust/tweak the settings and like what you see. For some, it will be a much valued improvement, for many, I suspect, its not really worth it. I see TVs at other peoples places and I can't believe the contrast brightness and color saturation they "prefer". I think those people really don't want a pro calibration and would just mess it up anyway

Last edited by Padrino; 05-09-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 608
When I do a proper build out then I will hire someone but until then I use the basics like the Disney WOW disc and so on and if someone is willing to calibrate for free or beer or something.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #63 of 70 Old 05-03-2018, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
My impression is that most people here on AVS do some amateurish tweaking themselves. Very few have the TV professionaly calibrated. My TVs are pro-calibrated.
I calibrate using Digital Video Essentials (Blu-ray) as that is the best setup I have: 55" screen, 5.1 sound, PS3 as the Blu-ray player. This was done on a budget, so if my screen is ever replaced by something that costs over $3000, then I'll likely purchase a colorimeter and do a proper calibration.

The best thing anyone can do for their setup is to ensure you can control all ambient light. My watching setup is in my basement which is split into two halves: Finished, and unfinished. The unfinished portion is where my window wells are, so the finished portion (where the TV is) has no windows at all, and it's possible to achieve consistent lighting every time.

Last edited by Trixter; 05-03-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 70 Old 05-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently had my Sony 65 A1E and LG 55 C7 calibrated by Gregg Loewen at LionAV. In the past, I had my TV's (Hitachi RPTV/Samsung DLP/Pioneer Elite Kuro's) calibrated by Eliab but he's been out of the business for a while. The calibration on these OLED's was well worth it. I was coming from Pioneer Elite Kuro's before I upgraded to OLED's. The out of box picture was nice but the calibration on the OLED's dialed them in and the display looks great. The post-calibrated display was a very noticeable to me. I plan on buying another OLED this year will be getting it calibrated by Gregg again.
Gregg Loewen likes this.
post #65 of 70 Old 05-04-2018, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just completed a 20 point greyscale calibration with i1 Display and Lightspace DPS on my Samsung 82 inch MU8000 and reduced grayscale deltae from around 4 to 0.5 and color deltae to around 1.5 for SDR. Have not had time to complete CMS or HDR calibration but finally skin tones are lifelike. Rtings has the MU8000 as the best out of box color accuracy but mine was nowhere near what they had listed for the one they tested and ofcourse the white balance settings they had just made matters worse when applied.
post #66 of 70 Old 11-19-2018, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I had my older RPHDTV calibrated professionally twice over its lifetime; well worth it.

Never bothered with my Plasma as I found some recommended settings that worked great for my ST60.

Might have been CNET or the old Plasma TV Buying Guide site, not sure which as it was a while ago.
C Net I'm sure, I used the guide that someone posted on C Net for my 55" VT50. Did a fantastic job and it was cheap since I don't charge myself anything. Know where I could find something similar for my new 65" LG OLED.
post #67 of 70 Old 11-20-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh43 View Post
C Net I'm sure, I used the guide that someone posted on C Net for my 55" VT50. Did a fantastic job and it was cheap since I don't charge myself anything. Know where I could find something similar for my new 65" LG OLED.
These guys review OLEDs as well as LEDs and give picture settings.

https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

And CNET still gives basic setting with their reviews though they now omit the advanced settings for some reason.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...15248535740553

Geoff A. J., California
post #68 of 70 Old 11-20-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Poll: Poll: Is Your TV Calibrated or Optimized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
These guys review OLEDs as well as LEDs and give picture settings.

https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

And CNET still gives basic setting with their reviews though they now omit the advanced settings for some reason.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...15248535740553

Anyone that uses lcdtvbuyingguide as a reference is doing their set a grave injustice. Their “reviews” have been laughable for many years. If you want reviews https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ and https://www.flatpanelshd.com/ are a good baseline. But utilizing someone else settings isn’t recommended get a calibration disc or one of the downloads available here on AVS and set your black level and contrast.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"

Last edited by gomo657; 11-20-2018 at 08:53 AM.
post #69 of 70 Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Anyone that uses lcdtvbuyingguide as a reference is doing their set a grave injustice. Their “reviews” have been laughable for many years. If you want reviews https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ and https://www.flatpanelshd.com/ are a good baseline. But utilizing someone else settings isn’t recommended get a calibration disc or one of the downloads available here on AVS and set your black level and contrast.
I have one, and I only look for info when my set dies but happily my 2011 60" Panny Plasma keeps chugging along nicely.

Back then the CNET settings produced a far more enjoyable picture than my test disc did.

So likely when I, sadly, have to get a new set I'll try other recommended settings vs buying a new disc.

Geoff A. J., California
post #70 of 70 Old 11-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Lots of good info for a newbie like me in this thread, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
calibration , uhd tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page