2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 149Likes

post #391 of 1594 Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post
How does other programming look using other apps or sources?

Just a quick update. I found the answer to the issue in another place. With this TV if you have an Apple TV, you need to go into the setting in the Apple TV and use 4K SDR 60hz instead of the 4k HDR 60hz setting. The HDR setting makes the picture darker and washed out. The SDR looks great. And if you set the Apple TV to show content in it's original form it will work with HDR content as well. This TV is really starting to grow on me and I am loving it so far now. It takes awhile to get the settings right for the picture since I like to watch TV, 4K on Netflix and Amazon Prime, and sports.
scotttnz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1594 Old 10-05-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 37
How does this look to you guys? I noticed a little Dirty Screen Effect on an all blue screen while watching regular TV, I noticed a blackish looking bar. So I went to YouTube and found an all blue screen video and took a picture. Is that worth taking back? I'm still in the return window. The black bar just to the right of center can be seen on any uniform color screen. Anyone have the guts to try it on your own set?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1842151-EEEB-4F76-82F9-B2FA1FDA95D0_1538760153095.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2464296  

Last edited by mike171979; 10-05-2018 at 12:09 PM.
post #393 of 1594 Old 10-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post
How does this look to you guys? I noticed a little Dirty Screen Effect on an all blue screen while watching regular TV, I noticed a blackish looking bar. So I went to YouTube and found an all blue screen video and took a picture. Is that worth taking back? I'm still in the return window. The black bar just to the right of center can be seen on any uniform color screen. Anyone have the guts to try it on your own set?

Interesting. I assume you didn't notice it until you had to recreate the all blue screen. Do you notice the dim black bar while watching normal programming? If it doesn't effect the picture during normal viewing I wouldn't worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 1594 Old 10-07-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post
Interesting. I assume you didn't notice it until you had to recreate the all blue screen. Do you notice the dim black bar while watching normal programming? If it doesn't effect the picture during normal viewing I wouldn't worry about it.

Well I noticed it first on an all blue ocean water scene, so thats when I played the all blue screen I found on You Tube. Since then I've been looking in that part of the screen while watching regular cable and now I see it quite frequently, especially on all or mostly white scenes on news channels or during commercials. It's one of those things where I wasnt trying to see it at first but now that I see it, I can never unsee it.
post #395 of 1594 Old 10-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

I believe your issue is referred to as "vertical banding". I wonder if there is anything you could do to fix it by changing HDMI inputs, Unplug it, Reset it, etc.

How does it do with an all black screen or all white screen? Do you still see it?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...-flashlighting

Last edited by SLUDGE; 10-07-2018 at 02:51 PM.
post #396 of 1594 Old 10-07-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On an all black screen the TV is great. On an all white screen the dark band is very evident. It's just as evident as it is in the photo I posted on an all blue screen. It's the same no matter of input or source, it's definitely part of the panel itself.
post #397 of 1594 Old 10-07-2018, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But I guess the answer to my question is no.
No one has the guts to try it on your own set since most people aren't within their return period any longer. Oh well, I can't really blame you for not wanting to know if your TV has this problem since there is nothing you can do about it if it does.
post #398 of 1594 Old 10-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

I checked my TV. On an all black screen I have slight flashlighting in the corners of my 82" but no vertical banding on a blue screen. As noted on RTINGS.com all LED TVs have imperfections.

Unfortunately, all LED TVs have some imperfections, including flashlighting, which looks like a flashlight is pointed across the corners of the television; and clouding, which looks like brighter patches on parts of the screen.

Since you are in the return window I would return it and see how your luck is on the next one. Good Luck!
post #399 of 1594 Old 10-08-2018, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi folks just wanted to get an opinion on this TV here the nu8000 I want to buy it and there's a good £850 deal from amazon for the 55 inch I'm eyeing but after seeing the problems here I'm hesitant, clicking noise, 4k HDR not working on Xbox, picture not that great. Has anyone had any positive experiences with the TV and would recommend it? I'm between this and the x900f or maybe an oled but I'd have to wait till black friday for one of those whereas the nu8000 seems to have a good deal for me now which I'd like for red dead redemption 2 but complaints that the HDR isn't working and theres random blackouts?
post #400 of 1594 Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic View Post
Hi folks just wanted to get an opinion on this TV here the nu8000 I want to buy it and there's a good £850 deal from amazon for the 55 inch I'm eyeing but after seeing the problems here I'm hesitant, clicking noise, 4k HDR not working on Xbox, picture not that great. Has anyone had any positive experiences with the TV and would recommend it? I'm between this and the x900f or maybe an oled but I'd have to wait till black friday for one of those whereas the nu8000 seems to have a good deal for me now which I'd like for red dead redemption 2 but complaints that the HDR isn't working and theres random blackouts?
I would recommend it. I conducted a lot of research on this set before purchasing. I would say 80% of the purchasers recommend the set. There is always a chance you receive a set with defects, if so, just return it before the warranty period expires.
post #401 of 1594 Old 10-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post
I know this is a late reply but every NU8000 I've seen has had this to some degree in the exact same location (starting down the middle).

We have 3 NU8000's all purchased over the course of the past 3-4 months and on uniform colors/grey, this is visible but I can't see it at all on 98% of normal content.
post #402 of 1594 Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticGrand View Post
I know this is a late reply but every NU8000 I've seen has had this to some degree in the exact same location (starting down the middle).

We have 3 NU8000's all purchased over the course of the past 3-4 months and on uniform colors/grey, this is visible but I can't see it at all on 98% of normal content.
Got a 75" nu8000 delivered today and got it set up. Went to try and do an update and it's greyed out. Says function not available or something to that nature. Decided to reset to factory settings to see if that would help and that is also greyed out with a similar message. Anyone know what is going on?
Robert
post #403 of 1594 Old 10-09-2018, 11:33 PM

Nvm. Figured it out. Need to have the source on tv. I can’t get my phone to connect to the tv with the smart view ap though. It says no tv’s found. Any ideas on this?
post #404 of 1594 Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 AM

For iPhone users, any good suggestions for a particular remote app download for the NU8000 series? There seems to be a few available.
post #405 of 1594 Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
I have just purchased the 49" nu8000 and am trying to get the best picture whilst using the gaming mode.

I have an Xbox One X and wondered what the difference between gaming mode 'Auto' and gaming mode 'On' is?
post #406 of 1594 Old 10-10-2018, 11:25 AM

75" 8000. What's the best settings for watching sports (football/basketball) on cable tv? Love the 4K content I've watched so far from YouTube etc but not real happy with live sports yet.
Robert
post #407 of 1594 Old 10-10-2018, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Enyone using NU8000 with Playstation 4 Pro in 4K HDR mode?
Do you experience so called "black screen flashing" issue?

The issue is wildly known for Samsung TVs and it manifests itself as a black screens 1-3 seconds in length randomly during the gaming sessions (every 30 minutes, sometimes less sometimes more).
I wonder if it is present in 2018 models too.

Did you experience something like that? Did you hear anywhere about this in NU8000 series TVs?

If present this is a deal breaker for me. It would be much welcome to know if Samsung fixed it or not before I make a purchase decision (65" in my case).
post #408 of 1594 Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey all, first off I just want to say that I just set up my new NU8000 last night and gave it a test run. I had a Vizio P75 F-1 for the past three months and while it has a beautiful picture, I couldn't live with the visible FALD zones and the DSE during panning shots. After much research, I settled on the NU8000 because it had the highest screen uniformity rating of all non-OLED TVs on Rtings.com. I've got to say that right out of the gate, I've been blown away!! After watching a few hours of various programming last night, the difference has been night and day between this set and my Vizio, so I'm beyond thrilled for that. I still need to see how it does during football games, but the banding has essentially been non-existent with this set so far, so I know that it will be far better than my Vizio regardless. I know a lot of people have a thing against edge-lit TVs, but having just come from a Full Array display with uniformity issues, I would take a clean picture on an edge-lit set all day everyday.

The other reason I purchased this TV was because it had a better upscaling score on Rtings than the Vizio. I have a very large collection old classic movies and film-noir DVDs that I spent years collecting, and I don't plan on upgrading them all to Blu Ray. I've come to find that the only downside to these newer 4k TVs, are that they show ALL of the imperfections of old DVDs. I previously had a Toshiba 52" DLP 1080i TV, and my BD Player would upscale all of my old movies beautifully (I realize it's because it was a lower resolution TV), but it honestly made old classic movies look crisp and clean and new.

The biggest problem I've noticed on the 4k sets is visible noise with a lot of older Black and White movies. It's so intense and obvious that it's very distracting. My Vizio had a settings feature that literally said "Reduce Noise," and it worked really well for eliminating most of it. I noticed the Samsung has "Digital Clean View," but when I turned that on it barely made a difference.

Does anyone have any advice or preferred settings to use when viewing old black and white movies on DVD? Also, is there a way to disable the TVs upscaling function so that i can just let my Oppo 203 handle it all? The Oppo has a noise reduction feature which helps a bit but it still didn't look as good as the Vizio's Reduce noise setting.
post #409 of 1594 Old 10-10-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenvana View Post
Hey all, first off I just want to say that I just set up my new NU8000 last night and gave it a test run. I had a Vizio P75 F-1 for the past three months and while it has a beautiful picture, I couldn't live with the visible FALD zones and the DSE during panning shots. After much research, I settled on the NU8000 because it had the highest screen uniformity rating of all non-OLED TVs on Rtings.com. I've got to say that right out of the gate, I've been blown away!! After watching a few hours of various programming last night, the difference has been night and day between this set and my Vizio, so I'm beyond thrilled for that. I still need to see how it does during football games, but the banding has essentially been non-existent with this set so far, so I know that it will be far better than my Vizio regardless. I know a lot of people have a thing against edge-lit TVs, but having just come from a Full Array display with uniformity issues, I would take a clean picture on an edge-lit set all day everyday.

The other reason I purchased this TV was because it had a better upscaling score on Rtings than the Vizio. I have a very large collection old classic movies and film-noir DVDs that I spent years collecting, and I don't plan on upgrading them all to Blu Ray. I've come to find that the only downside to these newer 4k TVs, are that they show ALL of the imperfections of old DVDs. I previously had a Toshiba 52" DLP 1080i TV, and my BD Player would upscale all of my old movies beautifully (I realize it's because it was a lower resolution TV), but it honestly made old classic movies look crisp and clean and new.

The biggest problem I've noticed on the 4k sets is visible noise with a lot of older Black and White movies. It's so intense and obvious that it's very distracting. My Vizio had a settings feature that literally said "Reduce Noise," and it worked really well for eliminating most of it. I noticed the Samsung has "Digital Clean View," but when I turned that on it barely made a difference.

Does anyone have any advice or preferred settings to use when viewing old black and white movies on DVD? Also, is there a way to disable the TVs upscaling function so that i can just let my Oppo 203 handle it all? The Oppo has a noise reduction feature which helps a bit but it still didn't look as good as the Vizio's Reduce noise setting.
I am glad to read your post, I was going back and forth on the P-75-F1 and the 75UN8000, yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered the 75un8000, its in route should arrive next week. I just saw to many people posting issues with the 2018 Vizio P-series. I had a 2014 P60 and it worked for me but it seems things are not dialed in with the 2018. Glad to hear you like the samsung.
post #410 of 1594 Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmixx View Post
That sounds like the TV is running hot and cooling off. Similar to a car after you're driven it and get out. I have 3 Samsung 4k sets (JS8500 & 2 KU6300's) and neither of them tick like that whether they're on or off. Does the TV run hot? Does it seem warm to the touch?

Hey question. How does the NU8000 compare to the JS 8500? I am getting my JS8500 replaced due to an issue with the NU8000. Hoping it is comperable.

Also, any ideas if the same mounting brackets will work on the NU 8000?
post #411 of 1594 Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
Hey question. How does the NU8000 compare to the JS 8500? I am getting my JS8500 replaced due to an issue with the NU8000. Hoping it is comperable.

Also, any ideas if the same mounting brackets will work on the NU 8000?
The JS8500 is a better overall TV. I bought an NU8000 and returned it because it was no better than my KU6300. It’s brighter but contrast, black levels & colors are much better on the JS8500. I think you be happier with a Q6 if you could swing it
post #412 of 1594 Old 10-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Still loving everything about this TV. I just wish it would let you save custom screen settings for various programming. The Vizio that I'm returning lets you do that and it is so convenient. I had a setting for Live Sports, HDR content, SDR content, etc. So it would be a couple of buttons and everything would be dialed in to how I saved it.

The Samsung only seems to save settings based on input source, but that doesn't help very much when I might watch several different types of content on a single port. Anyone know a way around this or is this just the way it is?
post #413 of 1594 Old 10-13-2018, 06:58 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by piquadrat View Post
Enyone using NU8000 with Playstation 4 Pro in 4K HDR mode?
Do you experience so called "black screen flashing" issue?

The issue is wildly known for Samsung TVs and it manifests itself as a black screens 1-3 seconds in length randomly during the gaming sessions (every 30 minutes, sometimes less sometimes more).
I wonder if it is present in 2018 models too.

Did you experience something like that? Did you hear anywhere about this in NU8000 series TVs?

If present this is a deal breaker for me. It would be much welcome to know if Samsung fixed it or not before I make a purchase decision (65" in my case).
I have the PS4 Pro and the 55" and have not experienced this playing maybe 2-4 hours sometimes even more. The only thing I noticed is that when you launch a game depending on if its hdr or not, sometimes the screen would be black with a loading circle in the middle 3sec more or less which is probably the tv adjusting to the proper settings but after that, everything is fine.
post #414 of 1594 Old 10-13-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshime316 View Post
I have the PS4 Pro and the 55" and have not experienced this playing maybe 2-4 hours sometimes even more. The only thing I noticed is that when you launch a game depending on if its hdr or not, sometimes the screen would be black with a loading circle in the middle 3sec more or less which is probably the tv adjusting to the proper settings but after that, everything is fine.

Big thanks for sharing your experience. Do you have your PS4 connected to TV directly or through some devices (hdmi switch or AVR)?

Right now I have more positive then negative opinions about this ps4-NU8000 combo (ratio 3:1) found over Internet.
Though there are some bad experiences reported too.
"Black screen flashing" plagued MU series from Samsung. And it is still present, even after latest firmware updates.
Every voice counts as NU serie hasen't gathered much PS4-users' opinions yet.
post #415 of 1594 Old 10-13-2018, 10:26 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by piquadrat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshime316 View Post

Big thanks for sharing your experience. Do you have your PS4 connected to TV directly or through some devices (hdmi switch or AVR)?

Right now I have more positive then negative opinions about this ps4-NU8000 combo (ratio 3:1) found over Internet.
Though there are some bad experiences reported too.
"Black screen flashing" plagued MU series from Samsung. And it is still present, even after latest firmware updates.
Every voice counts as NU serie hasen't gathered much PS4-users' opinions yet.
Its connected directly to tv. For the price and features especially the low latency and game motion plus settings, I think its a good overall tv.
post #416 of 1594 Old 10-14-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scip3392 View Post
I am glad to read your post, I was going back and forth on the P-75-F1 and the 75UN8000, yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered the 75un8000, its in route should arrive next week. I just saw to many people posting issues with the 2018 Vizio P-series. I had a 2014 P60 and it worked for me but it seems things are not dialed in with the 2018. Glad to hear you like the samsung.

It seems that since TVs have gone to backlighting, there are issues with many manufacturers. I ended up going the opposite direction as you. I went through (2) 65NU8000s that both had picture quality and cosmetic issues (noticeable scuffs and scratches on the base and bottom bezel). I now have a P65-F1 and, at least for me, it is a superior picture to the NU8000s...and much brighter. It isn't perfect, but I'm finally satisfied with my purchase. Final verdict will be determined by reliability. It is fine for the content I watch on it. However, if you use the TV for streaming and apps (I don't) it does seem to lack compared to the Samsung.
scip3392 likes this.
post #417 of 1594 Old 10-14-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenvana View Post

you can't disable upscaling but just put Sharpness to 0 with any material that looks too grainy, that should solve everything.
post #418 of 1594 Old 10-14-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
NU8000 is not a replacement for JS8500 (even Q6 won't be in some ways), consider Q7 if you want a real replacement for that (great) model.
bigmixx likes this.
post #419 of 1594 Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 PM

Thumbs down TV freezing up and recycling

Has anyone experienced their TV freezing up for periods of time(25sec - 2min) or just outright resetting back to home screen or a complete recycle. I've had my UN65NU8000 since late Sept and have had nothing but issues with this, mostly when using the apps but also sometimes when just watching from a set top box. If using the apps it either happens when navigating to the app, locating content to watch or while watching the content. While watching the content sometimes I can get about 45 mins before it happens but its also happened within 3-5 mins.

I've contacted Samsung multiple times who have suggested all of the following to no avail.... unplugging(for varied times), HUB reset, Factory reset, Automatic software update, manual software update, removing all connected components and even running off the hotspot from my phone.

Another issue is that the TV quits responding to remote signals at various times. It's either a very delayed reaction or I have to reset the whole TV.

I am currently on Firmware 1153.1, have a Frontier set top box wired in thru a Samsung soundbar via an ARC HDMI cable. Also have a Chromecast plugged in.

Samsung says they are aware of these issues and have been making updates to the firmware to correct but I'm still having the issues.

Do I just have a lemon for a TV or has anyone else been experiencing these things.

I went through the whole forum and did not see any posts that seemed related.
post #420 of 1594 Old 10-15-2018, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Has anyone experienced their TV freezing up for periods of time(25sec - 2min) or just outright resetting back to home screen or a complete recycle. I've had my UN65NU8000 since late Sept and have had nothing but issues with this, mostly when using the apps but also sometimes when just watching from a set top box. If using the apps it either happens when navigating to the app, locating content to watch or while watching the content. While watching the content sometimes I can get about 45 mins before it happens but its also happened within 3-5 mins.

I've contacted Samsung multiple times who have suggested all of the following to no avail.... unplugging(for varied times), HUB reset, Factory reset, Automatic software update, manual software update, removing all connected components and even running off the hotspot from my phone.

Another issue is that the TV quits responding to remote signals at various times. It's either a very delayed reaction or I have to reset the whole TV.

I am currently on Firmware 1153.1, have a Frontier set top box wired in thru a Samsung soundbar via an ARC HDMI cable. Also have a Chromecast plugged in.

Samsung says they are aware of these issues and have been making updates to the firmware to correct but I'm still having the issues.

Do I just have a lemon for a TV or has anyone else been experiencing these things.

I went through the whole forum and did not see any posts that seemed related.

Sounds like a lemon. RETURN IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page