2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 151Likes

post #601 of 1631 Old 11-28-2018, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody have any new info on motion settings? I'm getting some irritating stutter on every slow panning scene but that's not the worst problem.

I'm legit getting motion sick from movent within a scene. In particular one commercial for a CBS comedy has such a jerky movement effect that it looks like it was shot with a handheld.

I'm not sure the technical term for this. I assume it has to with motion blur. It's occurring from multiple sources with seemingly every setting, though some brightness settings limit it. . Any help is appreciated. I'd be inconsolable if I had to return it over this.

(Also tried to update to the .1 firmware but it wouldn't find it. Maybe because I didn't accept all the little privacy boxes?)
Is this even an issue that a firmware update could potentially fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1631 Old 11-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Git the 65" version couple of weeks back and till now its awesome. One thing that bugs me is the remote. No physical button for the channels and no option to switch to the last seen channel is bugging me. I have a Nakamichi soundbar and PS3 connected for now. Am in the search for a good universal remote that can control all of these. What other remote is everyone using?
post #603 of 1631 Old 11-28-2018, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonVsManning View Post
Git the 65" version couple of weeks back and till now its awesome. One thing that bugs me is the remote. No physical button for the channels and no option to switch to the last seen channel is bugging me. I have a Nakamichi soundbar and PS3 connected for now. Am in the search for a good universal remote that can control all of these. What other remote is everyone using?
You can get Samsung's "SmartThings" on your phone, from Google play. It has a "Pre-CH" on it. If you have an old Samsung remote, it may work as well. You can also tell bixby what channel you want.

Last edited by Rex Steinkuller; 12-08-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1631 Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use an older Logitech Harmony One universal remote. I'm now on my second one that I had to get used (essentially new) off Ebay because they are not made any more. They do have very nice newer ones though.

With the Logitech Harmony software, pretty much every device known to man is in their database. My brand new NU8000 TV was found in seconds as well as my old as dirt soundbar. I control EVERYTHING with this single remote, and even setup custom buttons and such. I have a pile of remotes for all my separate devices close by, but never use them.

I will never ever use anything but a single Harmony remote for all my stuff now. Even the wife is lost without the Harmony.

If you are tech savvy enough to install the Harmony software, plug your remote into your computer via USB, specify and select all your specific devices, then follow the instructions on setting up activities with your devices... then the Harmony remotes work great. Some people seem to expect them to magically control all of your own devices right out of the box, which they don't. Just a few minutes of setup and they are awesome.
Rex Steinkuller likes this.
post #605 of 1631 Old 11-29-2018, 05:38 AM

Liked: 11
Just got a 75NU8000 hung couple weeks ago and really pleased with it. Suprised there isn't more traffic here. Phenomenal picture for under 2k.
post #606 of 1631 Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have the 75in and really am enjoying the TV. My only problem is that I don't know if something is playing in 4k or UHD in the Samsung Apps. They only way to know is the dots button and info. I don't get anything on the TV that pops up in a corner showing I am now watching something in 4k or UHD. It seems some people here have this show up for them and I am trying to figure out why mine does not. It would be nice to know the TV is recognizing and reporting 4k or UHD content. Am I missing something?
Dalhectar likes this.
post #607 of 1631 Old 11-29-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Game Mode Zoom

Hi everyone,
I picked up this TV in 75in from Costco on Black Friday and am still on the fence.
One issue is game mode with my PC (fed through an Anthem receiver at 1080p). When I select game mode, the screen zooms about an inch or so all around. The PC resolution settings don't change. I can resize the desktop, but when I turn game made off, the zoom goes away, and then I have to resize again. Unfortunately, the zoom is cutting off dialog in the game. I guess I could leave the screen resized all the time, but I use the PC for a youtube tv subscription to watch sports on espn, and I'd prefer not to have it on game mode all the time.
Anyone have any idea why it's zooming, and is there a way to fix it?

Also, has anyone noticed stutter on slow pans in movies? In the early scene in Return of the Jedi when Vader arrives at the Death Star--as the commander walks towards the shuttle, the men standing at attention stutter quite a bit. Not a huge deal, as I haven't noticed it in any other scenes, but I'm curious what others think. I may yet return it and just go back to my two-year-old 65' Hisense, which punches well above it's weight.
Thanks!

Last edited by amicusterrae; 11-29-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #608 of 1631 Old 11-29-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae View Post
Hi everyone,
I picked up this TV in 75in from Costco on Black Friday and am still on the fence.
One issue is game mode with my PC (fed through an Anthem receiver at 1080p). When I select game mode, the screen zooms about an inch or so all around. The PC resolution settings don't change. I can resize the desktop, but when I turn game made off, the zoom goes away, and then I have to resize again. Unfortunately, the zoom is cutting off dialog in the game. I guess I could leave the screen resized all the time, but I use the PC for a youtube tv subscription to watch sports on espn, and I'd prefer not to have it on game mode all the time.

Also, has anyone noticed stutter on slow pans in movies? In the early scene in Return of the Jedi when Vader arrives at the Death Star--as the commander walks towards the shuttle, the men standing at attention stutter quite a bit. Not a huge deal, as I haven't noticed it in any other scenes, but I'm curious what others think. I may yet return it and just go back to my two-year-old 65' Hisense, which punches well above it's weight.
Thanks!
The stutter is definitely there on any slow pan. Try watching the planet Earth. It's bothersome. Rtings mentions this, but you had to read between the lines to pick up on it.
As I mentioned above, try watching a 60fps action scene and see if it isn't jerky and stuttering.
post #609 of 1631 Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I had the zoom thing last night from my PC. It's in the TV settings and is easily fixed. I think it was something about scale, actual and auto. Actual and Auto both fixed it so I could see the entire desktop. Someone can prob tell you exactly but I found it quickly.
post #610 of 1631 Old 11-29-2018, 06:17 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStorms7 View Post
I have the 75in and really am enjoying the TV. My only problem is that I don't know if something is playing in 4k or UHD in the Samsung Apps. They only way to know is the dots button and info. I don't get anything on the TV that pops up in a corner showing I am now watching something in 4k or UHD. It seems some people here have this show up for them and I am trying to figure out why mine does not. It would be nice to know the TV is recognizing and reporting 4k or UHD content. Am I missing something?
The only way I can tell for sure aside from the amazing picture itself is by hitting the dots button and info on the remote. I will also get an "HDR" logo that goes over top of where it says your picture mode in the regular menu at the bottom next to the sources when I'm viewing HDR content.
Dalhectar and CoolStorms7 like this.
post #611 of 1631 Old 11-30-2018, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed View Post
Just received a 75nu8000. It looks good. I need some help w some issues.

It is set up in a brightly lit living room but we mostly watch at night. I tested it out w some 4K material from YouTube via Samsung. It looked beautiful. But normal Netflix etc looks over saturated.

I have it directly connected to a 4Kappletv and a Verizon Fios cable box. I have a Bose soundbar/woofer w a controlling console (lifestyle 135) connected via digital optical as the Bose does not support passing 4K.

1- Biggest issue - I had to connect an hdmi cable to tell the Bose to produce the sound. But after I turned the tv off and then on again the sound stopped going through the Bose. The tv is set to send sound via optical.
It is difficult to troubleshoot without the onscreen display from the Bose. I suppose I can connect the Fios box via Bose. But there must be some setting which leaves sound always on through the Bose sound system. Any ideas?

2- Torch mode: We have CNN running in the background and it appears to be in Torch mode. I did a slight calibration based on the settings in this thread but the colors look over saturated. Anyone else experience this? It’s in all picture modes.

3- Remotes: right now I have 4 remotes. Which one is the best to use for all functions? What are other people using?

Thanks for your help
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Try adjusting the Auto-Motion Plus under the expert settings for the slow pan issue.
post #612 of 1631 Old 11-30-2018, 10:55 AM

Found another fix for netflix and slow aps either not working or really slow. My issue was the DNS filter was on in the router as soon as I disable this everything worked great.

This would be the same option as parental controls.

So if anybody still has the issue try that first
post #613 of 1631 Old 11-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm using the 65" version of this TV and have a question about Game Mode. Here are my relevant TV settings:

• Picture
  • Picture Mode: Standard
  • Expert Settings
  • HDR+ Mode: Disabled
  • General
  • External Device Manager
  • Game Mode Settings
  • Game Mode: Only On and Off are selectable - Auto is grayed out

My Xbox One X is outputting to my Denon AVR-S730H which is outputting to the TV (all via HDMI).

Any idea why I can't select "Game Mode: Auto"?

Samsung NU8000 65" | Denon AVR-S730H | Paradigm CT 110 | Xbox One X

Last edited by ryansebiz; 11-30-2018 at 05:19 PM.
post #614 of 1631 Old 11-30-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post
I'm using the 65" version of this TV and have a question about Game Mode. Here are my relevant TV settings:

• Picture
  • Expert Settings
  • General
  • Game Mode Settings

My Xbox One X is outputting to my Denon AVR-S730H which is outputting to the TV (all via HDMI).

I think you need to connect it to the tv directly for it to work. I can't get auto to work when connected to a receiver either.
post #615 of 1631 Old 11-30-2018, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStorms7 View Post
Had the same issue with a new 65" 8000, and one reason I decided to return it. After about 30 min of usage, it no longer would display any resolution info for any of my inputs. Instead of identifying it as it had before (PS4, etc), it just said HDMI in the upper left and was no longer displaying any resolution info in the upper right (it had before). Before it completely stopped displaying any resolution info, it started displaying the Xbox One X info on every HDMI input I went to...like it was stuck on it. I was able to get some more stability by doing a factory reset and disabling all auto firmware upgrades. It then started displaying resolution info for longer periods of time. This was on a brand new TV.

I also found that if you move the taskbar shortcut of the input around, it is buggy and stops displaying resolution info that way too. At least, that happened for me.

Last edited by DVD Freaky; 11-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.
post #616 of 1631 Old 11-30-2018, 08:27 PM

I just got the 82 inch version of this TV. I tried Rtings calibration settings but I find them too dark, yellow and washed out... not very vibrant at all. Does anyone have any other calibration settings they have had luck with?
post #617 of 1631 Old 11-30-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

• Picture
  • Expert Settings
  • General
  • Game Mode Settings

I havent set mine up yet, but noted this note from Denon regarding game mode (or auto low latency mode) : "The ALLM feature is added to all HDCP 2.2 compatible models of Denon AVRs (except AVR-X520BT, AVR-X540BT, AVR-X250BT, AVR-X550BT) and to HEOS AVR, HEOS Bar and HEOS HomeCinema HS2 by firmware update in August / September 2018."

Looks like this was a recent firmware update.

Try updating your AVR, see if it works, and report back.
post #618 of 1631 Old 12-01-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw5700 View Post
Hi Guys, just joined as I have just got a 55" N8000. The TV is great, but I have one puzzing issues.
If I use Anytime+/CEC - whenever I put the TV into standby, it powers off any HDMI connected devices (SetupTop Box, SoundBar etc) - which is wrong
as the set top box obviously needs to continue to record programs etc.

So question 1, is it possible to tell the N8000 NOT to use CEC for a particular device?

I have had to therefore disable CEC/Anytime to stop it powering off connected devices.
I then had issues trying to get my Phillips soundbar to work when connected to HDMI-ARC...
Turns out, HDMI ARC only works if CEC/Anytime is enabled - WTF!

So I have to now use a SPDIF (optical) connection to the soundbar from the TV, and use the TV sound for the set top box
as the set top box was previously using the soundbar's optical input.

I feel I am missing something here....!!!

Any comments gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
Update
I have used a CEC-less HDMI adapter for the Humax box and this has stopped the TV powering it off/interfering with it. I'm now using HDMI-ARC to the sound bar and this is working great (for the TV, Kodi box, and even the Humax box) Happy Days
post #619 of 1631 Old 12-01-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcurry99 View Post
I havent set mine up yet, but noted this note from Denon regarding game mode (or auto low latency mode) : "The ALLM feature is added to all HDCP 2.2 compatible models of Denon AVRs (except AVR-X520BT, AVR-X540BT, AVR-X250BT, AVR-X550BT) and to HEOS AVR, HEOS Bar and HEOS HomeCinema HS2 by firmware update in August / September 2018."
I just ran the "Check for Update" and it says:

"No update required. Latest version installed."

post #620 of 1631 Old 12-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
I think you need to connect it to the tv directly for it to work. I can't get auto to work when connected to a receiver either.
I'll try that. Problem is if I connect the Xbox directly to the TV then I can't get DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD when I watch 4K Blu-rays since ARC only outputs Dolby Digital. Argh.

post #621 of 1631 Old 12-01-2018, 11:53 AM

Hi to everyone ,i just bought this Samsung ,49nu8000,is a good tv but i'm not happy with black bars in movies with hdr ,for example in netflix.
The black bars are not completely dark and looks a bit grey in some points .is a mine problem or other people have the same issue?thanks

Inviato dal mio NX549J utilizzando Tapatalk
post #622 of 1631 Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue08 View Post
Hi to everyone ,i just bought this Samsung ,49nu8000,is a good tv but i'm not happy with black bars in movies with hdr ,for example in netflix.
The black bars are not completely dark and looks a bit grey in some points .is a mine problem or other people have the same issue?thanks

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

The local dimming on the NU8000 is bad. It dims the screen less than the MU8000, but focuses the dimming on moving highlights as it should. This helps reduce the amount of visible blooming and the black levels appear raised.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

We set the 'Local Dimming' to 'Low' for the calibration (usually, we turn it off for the calibration, but it is not possible for the NU8000). Like most Samsung edge-lit TVs the local dimming feature is not very effective, so we recommend you use

It's also possible you got a bad backlight bleed at the corners of your screen.
post #623 of 1631 Old 12-01-2018, 11:16 PM

Thanks!
With local dimming low is better.
in sdr, the bars above and below are black, sometimes only with hdr films with gray-tinged images turning gray in some places,(not always in the corners) can I believe it's normal?
I use film mode both for sdr and hdr movie.

post #624 of 1631 Old 12-02-2018, 12:37 AM

I bought an 82” nu8000 a few days ago and am not really happy with the DSE. I’d love opinions of how bad it seems compared to others here. I hate to return another tv to Costco after returning 425 vizios earlier this year.

Here are pics:

Thanks for any replies!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4560E8E5-BA16-4403-B5F4-1C47A45C2042_1543739968666.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	2490030   Click image for larger version

Name:	D69DCF1B-485D-402B-8CB0-008B54AF5FDA_1543739978630.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2490032   Click image for larger version

Name:	612D81B8-01F2-4274-A4F3-E03FB9523E66_1543739988659.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2490034  
Bamaboi89 likes this.
post #625 of 1631 Old 12-02-2018, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Looks pretty bad, I am Sure I don’t have that with my Xbox one x.
post #626 of 1631 Old 12-02-2018, 05:51 AM

I'm trying to find a solution with hdr movies and if i set backlight 25 with film mode the movie's bars are dark enough. I saw rting's review and they suggested to set at 50(maximum).
Someone has the dame settings?

post #627 of 1631 Old 12-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekipper View Post
I had the zoom thing last night from my PC. It's in the TV settings and is easily fixed. I think it was something about scale, actual and auto. Actual and Auto both fixed it so I could see the entire desktop. Someone can prob tell you exactly but I found it quickly.
Thanks! I found these options under picture size.
post #628 of 1631 Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post
Try adjusting the Auto-Motion Plus under the expert settings for the slow pan issue.
Thanks, I have it on Custom and have been playing with the slider. Last night, on Empire Strikes Back, both cloud city and the hoth attack scenes show some stutter / judder (still not sure I understand how they look different). After about half way up, I could see changes I didn't like, and the stutter/judder is still there. It's only on a few scenes here and there, so I'm going to try and live with it. Still on the fence, but Costco allows 90 days to return. Then the question is, what else?!
post #629 of 1631 Old 12-02-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4C8 View Post
Hey guys, what firmware are you running on your NU8000’s in the US?

I see that just a month ago Samsung released version 1153.1. My TV says it’s running version 1153. However, it doesn’t find the newer .1 version automatically, and also doesn’t seem to want to install it via USB. It just says no new update available after approving the USB stick search. I doubt my TV came with software that was released just a month or two ago.

Thanks guys. Great thread. I picked up a 65” yesterday.
I am having the same issue. Firmware 1153, and NU8000 (75") says it is current and will not download 1153.1. Anybody have a fix for this (or know what's in the new firmware version)?
post #630 of 1631 Old 12-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcurry99 View Post
I am having the same issue. Firmware 1153, and NU8000 (75") says it is current and will not download 1153.1. Anybody have a fix for this (or know what's in the new firmware version)?
Quote:
- Model : NU7400, NU7500, NU8000, NU8500, NU9000, Q6F, Q7F, Q7C, Q8F, Q9F
- Version : 1153.1
- Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...mart-tv-nu8000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement