2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 149Likes

post #631 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Looks pretty bad, I am Sure I don’t have that with my Xbox one x.
Wondering if I should try and order one online and try my luck again or just submit a warranty claim. I’m getting tired of lugging new TVs in and having to rehang them. This is my 6th TV in the last year thanks to getting several bad Vizios. Costco will likely be getting upset about it soon I can imagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayaproductions View Post
Wondering if I should try and order one online and try my luck again or just submit a warranty claim. I’m getting tired of lugging new TVs in and having to rehang them. This is my 6th TV in the last year thanks to getting several bad Vizios. Costco will likely be getting upset about it soon I can imagine.
I would definitely return it at Costco versus submitting a warranty claim.

Samsung NU8000 65" | Denon AVR-S730H | Paradigm CT 110 | Xbox One X

Last edited by ryansebiz; 12-02-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #633 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post
Quote:
I would definitely return or exchange it through Costco versus submitting a warranty claim.
I don’t think Costco does exchanges, maybe their online department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I would just keep it, I'm not sure if a different one will be any better. Are you able to notice it watching normal content, or just on blank screens like that? If you don't notice it on normal tv there's no point in returning it. It seems your expectations are too high for a mid-range tv.
post #635 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the 65" and I'd give it a B+, which at the price point is a solid grade.

Motion: I usually use Blur: 6 / Jutter: 2 -- Anything more than that and my set can stutter. I really hope Samsung can fix this with a firmware update because the set has enough horsepower where it shouldn't be an issue. Also, someone mentioned this earlier, but set Sharpness to "0" and you'll have a better experience with motion.

Picture quality: Amazing. I just spent a couple of days calibrating with my eyes and I'm beyond satisfied. Infinity War 4k HDR looks _amazing_.

Dimming: Atrocious, again, I hope Samsung can address this with firmware, or at least give me the option to turn it off. I honestly can't tell the difference between "Low" and "Standard." Why not just have "High, Low, Off"?

Popping: I understand wanting to provide a theater experience, but the popcorn machine is a bit much. It lasts maybe 5-10 minutes of turning the set on, not a big deal for me. My PS4 pro does the same thing after I turn it off. Actually my TCL 5 series in my bedroom does the same thing to a lesser degree. Climate+heat issue maybe? No idea.

UI: At least on my set the UI is QUICK (I use Cloudflare's DNS on my router, so maybe try that for anyone having issues with latency, it's quicker than Google's imo). Also, disable the default "channel" or I believe it's "lock" in Apps, that should help as well.

Refresh: This is where this TV shines (besides the PQ). 1080p @ 120 Hz is sick for PC gaming and I don't think the set gets the love it deserves because not everyone is going to use this, but if you do, you're in for a treat.

Overall, the TV has its faults, some of which will hopefully be addressed through updates, but after 5-10 minutes of it being on the popping goes away and I'm left with an AMAZING picture.
post #636 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
I just got the 82 inch version of this TV. I tried Rtings calibration settings but I find them too dark, yellow and washed out... not very vibrant at all. Does anyone have any other calibration settings they have had luck with?
I also use rtings settings for SDR and HDR, but I have the following differences:
For HDR content I have the contrast enhancer to high.
For SDR contents I have the the backlight on 30. Dont turn the contrast enhancer on for SDR.
I have the contrast at 50 for both.

TV: Samsung 65NU8000/ Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2070/ Bluray: PS3 Slim/ Fronts: Focal Chorus 726V/ Center: Focal Chorus cc700V
Surrounds: Focal Chorus 705V
Subs: (4) sealed SI HT 18" powered by Inuke 6000 EQed with MiniDSP
post #637 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippin View Post
I have the 65" and I'd give it a B+, which at the price point is a solid grade.

Motion: I usually use Blur: 6 / Jutter: 2 -- Anything more than that and my set can stutter. I really hope Samsung can fix this with a firmware update because the set has enough horsepower where it shouldn't be an issue. Also, someone mentioned this earlier, but set Sharpness to "0" and you'll have a better experience with motion.

Picture quality: Amazing. I just spent a couple of days calibrating with my eyes and I'm beyond satisfied. Infinity War 4k HDR looks _amazing_.

Dimming: Atrocious, again, I hope Samsung can address this with firmware, or at least give me the option to turn it off. I honestly can't tell the difference between "Low" and "Standard." Why not just have "High, Low, Off"?

Popping: I understand wanting to provide a theater experience, but the popcorn machine is a bit much. It lasts maybe 5-10 minutes of turning the set on, not a big deal for me. My PS4 pro does the same thing after I turn it off. Actually my TCL 5 series in my bedroom does the same thing to a lesser degree. Climate+heat issue maybe? No idea.

UI: At least on my set the UI is QUICK (I use Cloudflare's DNS on my router, so maybe try that for anyone having issues with latency, it's quicker than Google's imo). Also, disable the default "channel" or I believe it's "lock" in Apps, that should help as well.

Refresh: This is where this TV shines (besides the PQ). 1080p @ 120 Hz is sick for PC gaming and I don't think the set gets the love it deserves because not everyone is going to use this, but if you do, you're in for a treat.

Overall, the TV has its faults, some of which will hopefully be addressed through updates, but after 5-10 minutes of it being on the popping goes away and I'm left with an AMAZING picture.
One of the big reasons I was avoiding in this set and thought about LG because LG has the ability to turn theirs off.

I was told that if the LG's local dimming was off, that it was more horrible though aside from poor blacks since it's an IPS.
post #638 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
One of the big reasons I was avoiding in this set and thought about LG because LG has the ability to turn theirs off.

I was told that if the LG's local dimming was off, that it was more horrible though aside from poor blacks since it's an IPS.
Could go with the SK9000 for a few hundred more, though I don't know if their full array is worth the price difference; I've never actually seen one outside of a store. That said, I don't understand why the nu8000's previous and lower tier models (MU8000) have better dimming, albeit still bad. I just don't get it.

All in all though I love the TV, and at the <$1k price point I bought it at, I don't think I could've gotten better PQ and refresh rates, even if I'm trading darker blacks for it.
post #639 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hey guys I just purchased the 82" version of this set and I went to pick up with my brothers suv. He has a big gmc truck. Box was so big I could not get it in. So I gotta ask do you think a van from uhaul or home depot will be big enough to bring it home?
post #640 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
Hey guys I just purchased the 82" version of this set and I went to pick up with my brothers suv. He has a big gmc truck. Box was so big I could not get it in. So I gotta ask do you think a van from uhaul or home depot will be big enough to bring it home?
My 65" from Samsung's delivery company was in a van.

post #641 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 PM

Liked: 3
What settings do you recommend to fix the DSE on solid black load screen? That's the only time I notice it (top right only). Game mode mostly. Mainly tweak brightness, backlight, and dimming?
post #642 of 1608 Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post
I just ran the "Check for Update" and it says:

"No update required. Latest version installed."
My 75" NU8000 is now setup. Xbox One X running through Denon X1500h (latest firmware). Same issue as you, and I cannot resolve it. I can select "allow auto low latency mode" in the Xbox video settings (ie, auto game mode), but in the NU8000 menu the only settings available for game mode are "on" or "off". "auto" is there, but grayed out and not selectable.

I am running firmware 1153, as my TV for some reason cannot see 1153.1 (was this auto game mode feature added in 1153.1?). The very helpful Samsung support line tells me 1153 and 1153.1 are identical, which I highly doubt.

I am using monoprice premium HDMI cables, and have enabled HDMI-CEC everywhere I could, thinking the auto game mode was perhaps considered a CEC command. Didnt help.

Anybody get auto game mode to work when running an Xbox One X through a Denon?
post #643 of 1608 Old 12-03-2018, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hi guys, sorry if covering old ground but need some help and advice please.

So i have Samsung ubdk8500 + Pioneer LX-59 + Samsung UN82NU8000tv + 7.2.2 setup, now i have played 4k films with no issue and it says on my amp screen that i'm playing Dolby Atmos which tells me i have it setup right for what i want to hear whilst playing 4k films.

Tonight i tried to play a couple of Blu-ray discs i have older films like T2 and the Matrix and Dayss of Thunder, so i have the K8500 set to Bitstream uncompressed, my amp appears to be setup properly and so does my tv, yet when the movie started and i selected DOLBY TRUHD or DTS-MA, my amp displayed neither of these on screen but jumped to Dolby Surround or Neo-X, not once on any of the movies did my amp show the top soundtrack format for either movie even though it was selected.

I double checked all settings on everything and even tried other settings but to no avail.

After reading through 22 pages of this thread, it would appear to be something to do with the ARC hdmi, the ubdk8500 4k blu-ray player i use has 2 hdmi port on it, could one of you tell me if this is away to hook another hdmi up to my Pioneer LX-59. Meaning 2 hdmi will be going to my Pioneer? one for picture and one for sound? is this the way around it?

I find it weird that using a 4k atmos blu-ray seems to work fine with just 1 cable to reciever and 1 cable from reciever main out to ARC hdmi on tv?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by angusmckay; 12-03-2018 at 03:11 AM.
post #644 of 1608 Old 12-03-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
My 82" was Delivered by XPO (amazon) in a truck pulling a mini U-haul trailer

Samsung (82NU8000)
Denon (AVR-S940)
Oppo (BDP-103)
Klipsch (RF-7, RC-7, KG4.5, RC-3II)
SVS SB12-NSD, Klipsch RW-12
post #645 of 1608 Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcurry99 View Post
I can select "allow auto low latency mode" in the Xbox video settings (ie, auto game mode), but in the NU8000 menu the only settings available for game mode are "on" or "off". "auto" is there, but grayed out and not selectable.
The only way I can get the auto Game Mode is to run an HDMI cable directly from the Xbox One X to the TV. I bought this 15' HDMI cable from Monoprice and will fish it through the wall. This will save me from having to manually enable/disable Game Mode each time I play something.

I'm disappointed with this because it means I'll need to manually swap TV inputs and have to buy a 4k Blu-ray player to get DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD because ARC can only output Dolby Digital.

post #646 of 1608 Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 AM

I'm having trouble getting my Xbox One X to output HDR10. On the Xbox when I go to:

• Settings
  • Display & sound
  • Video output
  • 4K TV details

...it says "Your setup doesn't support HDR10 video. Content won't be shown in HDR." In Advanced video modes "Allow HDR10" is checked.

When I watch Avengers Infinity War 4K and pull up the Info screen it only says "UHD" label (not "HDR"). "HDMI UHD Color" is enabled on the TV.

My Xbox is outputting to my Denon receiver, which is outputting to the TV. My Apple TV 4K is also outputting to the Denon but is able to play HDR content (confirmed by the Info screen's "UHD" and "HDR" labels).

When I connect the Xbox directly to the TV's HDMI input 1 HDR10 works fine. So there's some issue specific to the Xbox and the Denon.

Any idea how to get the Xbox to output HDR10 through the Denon?

Update: On the Denon I went to Setup > Video > 4K Signal Format and changed it from Standard to Enhanced. While this does fix the HDR issue it has the unfortunate side effect of completely losing the signal when I play a game.

Last edited by ryansebiz; 12-03-2018 at 12:49 PM.
post #647 of 1608 Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbot View Post
Anybody have any new info on motion settings? I'm getting some irritating stutter on every slow panning scene but that's not the worst problem.

I'm legit getting motion sick from movent within a scene. In particular one commercial for a CBS comedy has such a jerky movement effect that it looks like it was shot with a handheld.

I'm not sure the technical term for this. I assume it has to with motion blur. It's occurring from multiple sources with seemingly every setting, though some brightness settings limit it. . Any help is appreciated. I'd be inconsolable if I had to return it over this.

(Also tried to update to the .1 firmware but it wouldn't find it. Maybe because I didn't accept all the little privacy boxes?)
Is this even an issue that a firmware update could potentially fix?
I had this issue on my 55" and I had to turn off Auto Motion settings. That fixed it for me.
post #648 of 1608 Old 12-03-2018, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
PIP/Multilink

Gents a few questions. 1. Does this TV have PIP or Miltilink? My old samsung had a multilink feature where i could do PIP with cable and an app(Youtube for example). Is there a way to do this?
post #649 of 1608 Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi fellow NU8000 owners. I recently bought a UN82NU8000 and went to calibrate its connection to my Xbox One X. I am finding that the NU8000 is crushing blacks only while in 4K mode and I am hoping somebody else can confirm they are seeing this too. To test, its really quite simple:

1) Turn Game Mode off of the TV
2) Turn brightness all the way up on the TV
3) Switch the Xbox to 1080p resolution
4) On the TV set the General/External Device Manager/HDMI Black Level to Normal
5) Start the Xbox Calibrate TV utility -- you should see the closed eye
6) Switch the Xbox to 4K UHD resolution -- notice the screen gets noticeably darker
7) Start the Xbox Calibrate TV utility -- you cannot see the closed eye

Feel free to turn off HDR on both the Xbox and TV -- that makes no difference. Your color space should always be Standard -- however if you change it to PC RGB while in 4K mode you can watch your TV try to render blacker than blacker than black.

I believe the problem here is when the Xbox is in 4K resolution, the TV erroneously disables the HDMI Black Level option, and instead is forcing it to be Auto/Low. This is causing crushed blacks. We could fix it if the option wasn't erroneously disabled. When the Xbox is in 1080p resolution if you change the HDMI Black Level to be Low, then switch to 4K, you will not see a visual difference.

Anybody else get this same result?

Last edited by DevinJ; 12-03-2018 at 10:08 PM.
post #650 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ah my mistake. I found this thread at Reddit which explains I misunderstood what Xbox One X is doing. Basically while in 4K mode at 10-bit the Xbox One X by default is rendering to YUV, presumably to save bandwidth (RGB 4:4:4 is the maximum bandwidth of HDMI 2.0). To force the Xbox One X to render to RGB, it must be lowered to 8-bit, and also disable the "Allow YCC 4:2:2" option so it can neither render that or 4:2:0. This change allows me to see the closed eye while in 4K.

However, now that I understand that it is actually in YUV even on the dashboard, its actually a good thing I cannot see the closed eye because YUV doesn't have this limited color space concept. It makes me think that YUV enabled and maximum brightness on the TV would achieve the results most intended by the content. It also makes me understand now the calibrator on the Xbox One X is mostly useless while in YUV mode.
post #651 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Didn’t encounter this could calibrate perfectly in movie mode, on Xbox one x with the rtings settings from their site. Game mode was a bit harder but used almost the same settings as movie mode.

Didn’t touch hdmi black, did up brightness and the rec brightness in the bottom also.
post #652 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

whats a good budget 4k player to use with this tv, don't want to spend oppo money, or should I get the xbox one x is that a good 4k player? I am really a ps4 guy.
post #653 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 AM

@DevinJ
<br>
After having a look.
You are right the tv doesn’t pick the right black level when switching. Seems normal black level mode is better for game mode ...
movie mode is perfect calibration wise in warm2 temperature on Xbox one X and auto black level.
post #654 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 06:27 AM

To add, after calibrating game mode I now have less clipping on the side bars in the calibration tool.
post #655 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2344 Post(s)
Liked: 2251
Quote:
whats a good budget 4k player to use with this tv, don't want to spend oppo money, or should I get the xbox one x is that a good 4k player? I am really a ps4 guy.
Since the Samsungs do not support Dolby Vision, I would recommend the Sony X800.
post #656 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

will Samsung support dolby vision in the future?
post #657 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2344 Post(s)
Liked: 2251
Quote:
will Samsung support dolby vision in the future?
Who knows? If DV becomes mainstream, they may be forced to in order to stay competitive. If they do though, I wouldn't expect it to be added to the NU8000 via firmware update
post #658 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 AM

Mute Icon?

Does anybody have a solution for the persistent mute icon? I am using Harmony Elite, and send a command to mute the NU8000 internal speakers when I switch to Xbox/AVR sound. Unfortunately, this puts up the Mute icon on the screen which doesn't go away.

I can send a bunch of Volume Down commands to get the TV volume to zero, but then would have to send a series of Volume Up commands when I switch back to the TV (which I use only through the NU8000 speakers since the AVR would wake up the kids at night). Since the Harmony has only relative (up/down) and not absolute (eg, set vol to 15) controls, this creates its own problems. If I watch TV 3 times in a row, the volume will go up each time I start the activity creating a very loud volume.

I think there may be a solution in HDMI-CEC where if the TV detects the AVR is on it will shut off internal speakers. But I can't seem to get that to work reliably.

My apologies if this is better posted in a Harmony thread.
post #659 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2841 Post(s)
Liked: 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcurry99 View Post
Does anybody have a solution for the persistent mute icon? I am using Harmony Elite, and send a command to mute the NU8000 internal speakers when I switch to Xbox/AVR sound. Unfortunately, this puts up the Mute icon on the screen which doesn't go away.

I can send a bunch of Volume Down commands to get the TV volume to zero, but then would have to send a series of Volume Up commands when I switch back to the TV (which I use only through the NU8000 speakers since the AVR would wake up the kids at night). Since the Harmony has only relative (up/down) and not absolute (eg, set vol to 15) controls, this creates its own problems. If I watch TV 3 times in a row, the volume will go up each time I start the activity creating a very loud volume.

I think there may be a solution in HDMI-CEC where if the TV detects the AVR is on it will shut off internal speakers. But I can't seem to get that to work reliably.

My apologies if this is better posted in a Harmony thread.
What AVR do you have? My Onkyo 820 mutes the TV audio when I use the AVR and I'm not using CEC. Do you have your AVR set to standby pass through?

Maybe time for a new AVR

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #660 of 1608 Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anyone having audio drop outs with there NU8000 using the Vudu app? It is the only app I am having audio drop outs with. Having these drop outs with internal TV speakers and digital out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page