2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 149Likes

post #691 of 1580 Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickster2 View Post
Consumer reports (if you are a member) also has recommended picture settings on their detailed review.
Anyone willing to post the Consumer Reports recommended settings so that we can compare to RTINGS and Andy's settings?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1580 Old 12-12-2018, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Help with HDR

I am looking for some help.

I just bought an UN65NU8000 and an QN82Q8FN. Both are having the exact same problem(s) and right now my frustration level with Samsung is through the roof.

They cannot display HDR content unless I manually intervene.

On the UN65NU8000 I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301 receiver
and the QN82Q8FN has an Onkyo TX-RZ720 receiver

They each have a Sony UBX-P700 UHD Player, Roku Ultra and DirecTV HR24-500 DVR . When I change the A/V receiver to one of those UHD devices, HDR does not show. Only UHD. IF, I turn the TV off and then back on, I can get HDR. Just the turning the TV off/on, nothing else.

In addition, if I have HDMI UHD Color turned ON, I get no sound from my DirecTV receiver. I was able to get around this on the Pioneer receiver as it has some HDMI inputs which are not HDCP2.2. If I plug my DirecTV receiver into one of those NON-HDCP2.2 inputs, I can get sound with HDMI UHD Color turned on. My Onkyo receiver has HDCP2.2 on all of its inputs, so if I want sound I must turn off HDMI UHD Color. Gggrrrrr!!!! What is this setting anyways?

Also, at some point both of those A/V receivers (Pioneer Elite and Onkyo) were connected to a 2 year old LG 75UH8500. I had exactly zero issues with that set and HDR. It just worked.

Is anyone else having issues? Is there a fix? I can't imagine I am alone as this is happening on both of my new Samsung sets.

Thanks,

Last edited by DinoT; 12-12-2018 at 09:05 PM.
post #693 of 1580 Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb80301 View Post
Anyone willing to post the Consumer Reports recommended settings so that we can compare to RTINGS and Andy's settings?

Thanks!
Optimized Picture Settings
PICTURE SETTINGS
Picture Mode: Movie
Contrast: 45
Brightness: 1
Gamma: BT.1886: 0
Color: 26
Tint: R1
Sharpness: 0
Color Tone: Warm2
Backlight: 24
Local Dimming: Standard
Film Mode: Auto2
Color Space Settings: Auto
Auto Motion Plus Setting: Custom (Blur Reduction: 10)
All other settings should be set to "off" or zero "0". Any individual R,G, or B color subcontrols, if present, should remain at their default settings.

TV FIRMWARE: All models are evaluated using the latest firmware version available at the time of testing. The firmware version of the Samsung UN65NU8000 was: 1051.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to enter the service menu?
post #695 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does the Samsung NU8000 series have 5 GHz wireless or only 2.4 GHz wireless? I have the UN55NU8000FXZA tv and cannot find any info online about what type of wireless it has and cannot find any settings about the wireless connect type. My Google WiFi states it is connected on the 2.4 GHz. Surprised a 2018 Samsung tv does not have both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz connections.
post #696 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudson666 View Post
Does the Samsung NU8000 series have 5 GHz wireless or only 2.4 GHz wireless? I have the UN55NU8000FXZA tv and cannot find any info online about what type of wireless it has and cannot find any settings about the wireless connect type. My Google WiFi states it is connected on the 2.4 GHz. Surprised a 2018 Samsung tv does not have both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz connections.
the NU 8000 states its has dual band wifi. How you get ti to select between 5 and 2.4 GHz i could not tell you. I dont remember it giving me a choice when I set up the wireless connection

Samsung (82NU8000)
Denon (AVR-S940)
Oppo (BDP-103)
Klipsch (RF-7, RC-7, KG4.5, RC-3II)
SVS SB12-NSD, Klipsch RW-12
post #697 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix View Post
Does anyone know how to enter the service menu?

You need an older Samsung remote - one with all the buttons.

Start with the TV OFF:

Mute - 1 -8 -2 - power on

That will get you in. There are bunch of things you can break in there. - be careful
Rex Steinkuller likes this.
post #698 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoT View Post
Optimized Picture Settings
Thanks so much, Dino!
post #699 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb80301 View Post
Thanks so much, Dino!
You're welcome.
post #700 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingywon View Post
You need an older Samsung remote - one with all the buttons.

Start with the TV OFF:

Mute - 1 -8 -2 - power on

That will get you in. There are bunch of things you can break in there. - be careful
Any tutorial on messing around these settings? I tried to turn on the Art mode in the service menu. The art mode appears when it reboots but I was not able to upload anything to make it display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_005353.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	2496438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_005603.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	2496440  

Last edited by tearfalls; 12-13-2018 at 01:33 PM.
post #701 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 PM

Liked: 1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
Any tutorial on messing around these settings? I tried to turn on the Art mode in the service menu. The art mode appears when it reboots but I was not able to upload anything to make it display.
I haven't found any tuts on any of it. I know that the same firmware is used across multiple different TVS. I have the NU8000 75 inch and my firmware has a place to turn on the "camera" I do not have a camera so while I never changed it - i would imagine at best it would do nothing.

I'm rather sure that art mode is only for the QLED tvs...so it might not doing anything. I again though urge everyone to be VERY careful as you can brick your TV messing with things that aren't meant to be messed with.

Also worth noting that the service menu logs how many times you have accessed it and there appears to be no way to erase that.

I dabbled in there a few times I saw there wasn't anything worth changing that I couldn't do in the TV already and I moved on.

I was very interested in turning on the PVR (an option that US/Canada) doesn't get - then I realized that it is only for ant. transmissions and I have more interest in it.
post #702 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingywon View Post
I haven't found any tuts on any of it. I know that the same firmware is used across multiple different TVS. I have the NU8000 75 inch and my firmware has a place to turn on the "camera" I do not have a camera so while I never changed it - i would imagine at best it would do nothing.

I'm rather sure that art mode is only for the QLED tvs...so it might not doing anything. I again though urge everyone to be VERY careful as you can brick your TV messing with things that aren't meant to be messed with.

Also worth noting that the service menu logs how many times you have accessed it and there appears to be no way to erase that.

I dabbled in there a few times I saw there wasn't anything worth changing that I couldn't do in the TV already and I moved on.

I was very interested in turning on the PVR (an option that US/Canada) doesn't get - then I realized that it is only for ant. transmissions and I have more interest in it.
Yeah I figured NU8000 and Q6 are probably really close in terms of hardware so I gave it a try. It did add an Art Mode icon in the Smart Hub but it will just shutdown the TV once clicked on because I cannot upload an image to the TV.
post #703 of 1580 Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudson666 View Post
It definitely has both. When you go through the Network setup, it will show you both the 2.4 and 5 GHz available networks. I selected my 5GHz network and it worked without even asking me for my network password... I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #704 of 1580 Old 12-15-2018, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've had this TV for a week now and overall its a solid 7 for Pic quality, and a 8.5 for value. I decided to go for the 82" on black friday for 2.2k... I have some buyer's remorse unfortunately.

The HDR performance is really poor, I've been messing with the settings non stop and it just never looks great. My biggest complaint is that its dim, and the dark scenes look washed out. It's mostly been tested with Amazon and Netflix from a Roku Ultra. I finally said screw it last night and turned off "UHD Color" in the TV's General menu, and I've been enjoying my shows more.

Am I crazy to do this? Don't get me wrong, I saw some really nice moments with HDR, but I saw more bad then good... It feels like a waste of $ to me if I end up keeping HDR off. Can someone please educate to me why I should turn it back on? Or maybe I need to fine tune more?
post #705 of 1580 Old 12-15-2018, 04:00 AM

Liked: 2
The 82 inch has a lot less nits than the other sizes, right?

Is that the same for the 82Q6 compared to other Q6 sizes?

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk
post #706 of 1580 Old 12-15-2018, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson0420 View Post
I've had this TV for a week now and overall its a solid 7 for Pic quality, and a 8.5 for value. I decided to go for the 82" on black friday for 2.2k... I have some buyer's remorse unfortunately.

The HDR performance is really poor, I've been messing with the settings non stop and it just never looks great. My biggest complaint is that its dim, and the dark scenes look washed out. It's mostly been tested with Amazon and Netflix from a Roku Ultra. I finally said screw it last night and turned off "UHD Color" in the TV's General menu, and I've been enjoying my shows more.

Am I crazy to do this? Don't get me wrong, I saw some really nice moments with HDR, but I saw more bad then good... It feels like a waste of $ to me if I end up keeping HDR off. Can someone please educate to me why I should turn it back on? Or maybe I need to fine tune more?
From the manual:

Viewing UHD videos

Settings- General- External Device Manager- HDMI UHD Color

If an external UHD player is connected to the TV, use the HDMI UHD Color function to convert the TV's HDMI connector to a mode optimized for the UHD 50P/60P signals.
""
When you select the HDMI connector you want to use for HDMI UHD Color, and then press the Select button to set the HDMI UHD Color function to On, the TV screen flickers.
""
The HDMI connection with HDMI UHD Color set to Off supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:2:0 input signals, while the HDMI connection with HDMI UHD Color set to On supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 input signals. For more information, refer to "Supported Resolutions for UHD Input Signals."
""
When you connect the TV to an external device that supports only the UHD 24 or 30 Hz frequency or any FHD frequency, the HDMI UHD Color function may not be available. In this case, set HDMI UHD Color to Off.
post #707 of 1580 Old 12-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys - new to these forums. I bought this TV over 2 weeks ago and the picture quality for SDR content is fantastic after having been 20 point calibrated with an i1 Display Pro and HCFR.

I tried some Netflix HDR content last night however and the constant changes in backlight was driving me off the wall, to the point where you may as well watch SDR to avoid the major changes in brightness which leads to a more consistent viewing experience. Is there any way to resolve this? Can HDR be turned off completely from the service menu so that it doesn't trigger in the native Netflix app?
post #708 of 1580 Old 12-16-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilioni View Post
Hi guys - new to these forums. I bought this TV over 2 weeks ago and the picture quality for SDR content is fantastic after having been 20 point calibrated with an i1 Display Pro and HCFR.

I tried some Netflix HDR content last night however and the constant changes in backlight was driving me off the wall, to the point where you may as well watch SDR to avoid the major changes in brightness which leads to a more consistent viewing experience. Is there any way to resolve this? Can HDR be turned off completely from the service menu so that it doesn't trigger in the native Netflix app?
You may have to do what I'm doing, which is use an external player like Roku ultra, or apple 4k. Then turn off the UHD Color option on that HDMI input. The HDR performance on this set is def a disappointment!!
post #709 of 1580 Old 12-16-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
The HDR performance on this set is def a disappointment!!
Yep I agree and only have watched one show with it. Hope there will be a firmware update soon.
post #710 of 1580 Old 12-16-2018, 09:59 PM

Hey guys, I've been doing some research into this TV vs the LG SK8000 and am about to take the plunge on the NU. Just quick background, I'm buying my first TV in over 12 years as my LNT4661 just gave up the ghost.

I've got an older receiver, Yamaha HTR-6140 which I'm currently using as the input from all my gear and output to the single HDMI to TV. I'm sure the most it supports is 1080p as I doubt 4k was around that many years ago - or it was just getting started. I'm not looking to upgrade my receiver as we don't watch any 4k content right now and we'd not be getting a new TV had the other not broken down.

So my question, can I keep the receiver the same and still output 1080p video to the TV? I don't need to pass audio to the tv because of how things are set up. I will have to pass audio from the TV to the receiver (via optical) as I've got a chromecast hooked up. Will that be an issue? I'm currently using analogs as I'm out of inputs on my receiver.

OR

Should I hook all the HDMI devices to the TV's inputs and output either hdmi or optical audio to the receiver?

Just looking at suggestions on how to handle a possible new TV.

Thanks
post #711 of 1580 Old 12-17-2018, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helraiser View Post
Hey guys, I've been doing some research into this TV vs the LG SK8000 and am about to take the plunge on the NU. Just quick background, I'm buying my first TV in over 12 years as my LNT4661 just gave up the ghost.

I've got an older receiver, Yamaha HTR-6140 which I'm currently using as the input from all my gear and output to the single HDMI to TV. I'm sure the most it supports is 1080p as I doubt 4k was around that many years ago - or it was just getting started. I'm not looking to upgrade my receiver as we don't watch any 4k content right now and we'd not be getting a new TV had the other not broken down.

So my question, can I keep the receiver the same and still output 1080p video to the TV? I don't need to pass audio to the tv because of how things are set up. I will have to pass audio from the TV to the receiver (via optical) as I've got a chromecast hooked up. Will that be an issue? I'm currently using analogs as I'm out of inputs on my receiver.

OR

Should I hook all the HDMI devices to the TV's inputs and output either hdmi or optical audio to the receiver?

Thanks
What will be your 4K source? If you are not getting a 4K source then just hook up the TV as you have now and your TV will upconvert. If you go optical you will not get the lossless audio. Most 4K Blu-ray players now have dual HDMI outputs. One to the TV for 4K video and one for audio to your AVR.
post #712 of 1580 Old 12-17-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helraiser View Post

OR

Thanks
You should be good to go with that config, essentially what I have with my older SR8001 that I love. I have my Roku Ultra plugged into my TV and use optical out to AVR. The only thing I'm losing is Dolby DTS, for whatever reason Samsung stopped supporting this codec, which is BS. Otherwise my AVR doesn't support DTS HD, ATMOS, etc. So, not much lost with this setup... other then the Dolby DTS.
post #713 of 1580 Old 12-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
It definitely has both. When you go through the Network setup, it will show you both the 2.4 and 5 GHz available networks. I selected my 5GHz network and it worked without even asking me for my network password... I'm still scratching my head on that one.
It must because I am using a Google WiFI mesh system that is preventing me from selecting the 5 GHz channel since the mesh network has both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz signals with one SSID. Our iPhones always switch to the fastest channel and closest Google WiFi receiver in my house. I have a very strong WiFi signal but I guess the NU8000 is not smart enough to auto select the 5 GHz channel. My Google WiFi app always shows my NU8000 connected to the 2.4 GHz channel. Wish I knew how to get my NU8000 connected to the 5 GHz channel.
post #714 of 1580 Old 12-17-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post
the NU 8000 states its has dual band wifi. How you get ti to select between 5 and 2.4 GHz i could not tell you. I dont remember it giving me a choice when I set up the wireless connection
It must because I am using a Google WiFI mesh system that is preventing me from selecting the 5 GHz channel since the mesh network has both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz signals with one SSID. Our iPhones always switch to the fastest channel and closest Google WiFi receiver in my house. I have a very strong WiFi signal but I guess the NU8000 is not smart enough to auto select the 5 GHz channel. My Google WiFi app always shows my NU8000 connected to the 2.4 GHz channel. Wish I knew how to get my NU8000 connected to the 5 GHz channel.
post #715 of 1580 Old 12-17-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I absolutely agree as well, the hdr doesn't seem very good, maybe it's bc the nits just don't get high enough for a good hdr experience...
case in point, the Christmas chronicles on Netflix with hdr looks terrible, everything is way to dark regardless of settings, turn hdmi UHD color off and then watch it, it looks way better

I think I'm gonna return mine, and look at the Sony x900f or the Vizio pq
post #716 of 1580 Old 12-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Liked: 40
MU8000 upgrade from JS8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom
NU8000 is not a replacement for JS8500 (even Q6 won't be in some ways), consider Q7 if you want a real replacement for that (great) model.

Definitely agree but unfortunately Samsung recognizes the NU8000 as the direct replacement for the JS8500 as far as warranty claims. I was told that by a Samsung rep at Bestbuy when I was having issues with my JS8500.

---

Interesting data points from Samsung and denpom. Any additional details you can share on areas the JS8500 is still superior vs NU8000? E.g. HDR wasn't fully standardized when the JS8500 came out, so don't know if the MU is much worse.

Also considering Sony x900f, but I'm trying to avoid paying $2000 plus for something that will be $1000 in 2 years. Looking for good enough, better than JS8500 is a plus.

I'm considering a similar upgrade from my 55js8500. Main reason is I want a bigger screen 70"+. I'm also starting to see some stability issues with Apps crashing like Netflix and Youtube.
post #717 of 1580 Old 12-17-2018, 11:09 PM

Thanks guys. Got the TV hooked up today and everything connected. The picture looks amazing and the wife's loving it too. That said, looks like I'll have to connect my peripherals (apple tv 4, shield tv, stb) to the TV and output the audio to the receiver. That way I don't have to change inputs on the receiver unless I'm listening to the radio.

Thanks a bunch for the help! Oh and 4K - space station stuff, looks good but for the amount I watch it's pretty much lost on me. That said, the picture is an absolute improvement on what we had before. Even the SD content broadcast via my cable provider looks much better - upscaling?

Very nice TV and now I'm hoping I can cash in on some boxing day deals!
post #718 of 1580 Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 67
anyone here compare the ps4 pro and the xbox one x on the Samsung nu8000 82"? Is there a big difference in similar games?
post #719 of 1580 Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently bought a 65" NU8000 and i'm having a weird OTA channel issue. Every now and then when I change OTA channels it just stays on the channel i was originally on no matter what channel it tunes to (i.e. i'm on 19-1 and i change to 31-1 and it's still showing the 19-1 channel). I was able to get it to work again by holding down the power button on the remote and restarting the TV but after a day or two it would start doing it again.

Anyone else have this problem?
post #720 of 1580 Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
anyone here compare the ps4 pro and the xbox one x on the Samsung nu8000 82"? Is there a big difference in similar games?
Pretty unlikely scenario for someone to have... regardless, most games show the xbox one X as having a slight edge. Some games like RDR2 are even more pronounced... ymmv. I have a launch PS4, and games look purty damn good on the 82"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page