2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 149Likes

post #61 of 1594 Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yeah, I've been wondering why this forum is so lacking in conversation about this tv. I'm very interested in this TV for my gaming room. I've narrowed it down to 65" tcl 6 series, Vizio P series, or this nu8000. Seems the tcl and Vizio threads here are huge compared to this one.

Samsung 55" nu8000
i7 8700/1060 6gb
Vizio V series 40" as PC monitor
xbox 1x
panamax power filtration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I am surprised at the lack of traffic for this set. Compared to the Q offerings this NU 8000 seems to be a bargin. You have to step all the way up to the Q9 to get FALD so the Q6, Q7, Q8 are all edge lit just like the NU8000 and you can get it in the 82 inch.
I totally agree. I'm waiting for the next price drop then buying the 82".
post #63 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post
I totally agree. I'm waiting for the next price drop then buying the 82".
Wait no more. Just purchased 82 @ Costco with Black Friday price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Clark View Post
Wait no more. Just purchased 82 @ Costco with Black Friday price.
Check out the new price drop price at Costco and then today they ad a cash back special on Samsung Tv's that expires on July 18. Got to jump now. Plus the Square Trade warranty.
post #65 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Check out the new price drop price at Costco and then today they ad a cash back special on Samsung Tv's that expires on July 18. Got to jump now. Plus the Square Trade warranty.
Yeah I got the Square trade warranty that takes you out to five years for $99.99 and with that you get $100 off the TV. So overall you save a penny and get the long warranty.
post #66 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Just wondering after seeing this TV at Costco, am I the only one that see's the color green dominating?

Forgiveness is a attribute of the strong. The weak can never forgive. Mahatma Gandhi
post #67 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
Just wondering after seeing this TV at Costco, am I the only one that see's the color green dominating?
I did not see that at all. Did you see it on all sizes of that model?

Maybe it was a bad sample or someone messed with the settings?
post #68 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post
I did not see that at all. Did you see it on all sizes of that model?

Maybe it was a bad sample or someone messed with the settings?
It had to be a bad set up. I've seen a lot of 75 and 82 and the picture was always stunning. FYI.You Don't need to be anywhere near a Costco to order something to be delivered and if you want to join and save more money it runs just over $50 for a membership.
post #69 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought a Samsung UN65NU8000 on Saturday and have spent a few days viewing it. I can't stand the reflections I get off this screen. I am using it in a large room with a wall of windows behind the TV. Even with all of the blinds closed I can see their reflection in the TV image during daytime viewing. At night, if I have any ambient room light, I can also see a crisp image of the window blinds in the TV image. I keep thinking there's something wrong w/ the source or TV picture due to all the horizontal lines I see and keep realizing I'm seeing a reflection of the slats of my window blinds. I also note distortion in the reflections from the very thin plastic front panel not being optically flat. I am about to return this TV and am thinking about a Sony X900F to replace it because Rtings.com shows that the X900F is one of the lowest reflection screens that still has good image quality in the sub $2000 price class. My 10 year old Samsung that this TV is replacing did not have any issues w/ reflections in the same room, although I am finding that none of the new TV's are as matte as the old ones were.

Last edited by MisterSteve; 07-17-2018 at 01:58 PM.
post #70 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSteve View Post
I just bought a Samsung UN65NU8000 on Saturday and have spent a few days viewing it. I can't stand the reflections I get off this screen. I am using it in a large room with a wall of windows behind the TV. Even with all of the blinds closed I can see their reflection in the TV image during daytime viewing. At night, if I have any ambient room light, I can also see a crisp image of the window blinds in the TV image. I keep thinking there's something wrong w/ the source or TV picture due to all the horizontal lines I see and keep realizing I'm seeing my window blinds. I also note distortion in the reflections from the very thin plastic front panel not being optically flat. I am about to return this TV and am thinking about a Sony X900F to replace it. My primary concern is screen reflections. My 10 year old Samsung that this TV is replacing did not have any issues w/ reflections in the same room, although I am finding that none of the new TV's are as matte as the old ones were.
I noticed the same thing with the reflection/glare. My old TV was a Sony fluorescent-backlit LCD with a much more matte finish.

I thought about returning the TV, but my wife suggested bringing the old one back in the room for a comparison. It’s bad too, but not as bad. But it is worse than I remembered.

Short-term fix is to hang an opaque sheet over the offending curtains, which let too much light through. Long-term fix is opaque curtains (we hate the current curtains anyway).

It sucks but like you said, what’s the alternative?
post #71 of 1594 Old 07-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My old TV was also a CCFL dinosaur w/ a matte panel. I still have that TV (it's now on my 3 season porch). If I end up returning the NU8000 and find that whatever I replace it with has significantly less reflection, I'll make sure to note that here. I'll try to take some representative pictures of what I'm seeing for reflections as well, in case it's ever of use to anyone browsing in search of the same issue.
post #72 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Other retailers (Amazon, BestBuy, etc) just dropped their price. This won't be the first or last price drop. Now I need to see if I can be patient enough to wait for another one.
post #73 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When Sony came out with the 85" 900f this caused competition for the bigger size TV's.

When Samsung comes out with the 82" q8f in August it will compete with the Sony 85".

I hope I can hold out till BF or there about I'm getting itchy.

Forgiveness is a attribute of the strong. The weak can never forgive. Mahatma Gandhi
post #74 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When Sony came out with the 85" 900f this caused competition for the bigger size TV's.

When Samsung comes out with the 82" q8f in August it will compete with the Sony 85".

I hope I can hold out till BF or there about I'm getting itchy.
From what I have seen in the past regarding Black Friday most major brands use this sale to unload poor moving inventory and smaller displays. I will be surprised if you see any FALD Sony's or any Q series or even Premium 8000 series from Samsung. You may actually see some LG OLED's marked down if their pipeline is getting too full. Keep in mind that Costco will price match for 90 days.
post #75 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
From what I have seen in the past regarding Black Friday most major brands use this sale to unload poor moving inventory and smaller displays. I will be surprised if you see any FALD Sony's or any Q series or even Premium 8000 series from Samsung. You may actually see some LG OLED's marked down if their pipeline is getting too full. Keep in mind that Costco will price match for 90 days.
The 65” price on Amazon actually went up $100 since I started looking. It was $1297.99 and is now $1397.99.

Does Costco price match against slightly different model numbers? We know it’s the same TV, but Costco’s model number is slightly different (UN65NU800DFXZA).

Just noticed that Costco’s price also went up $100 (online anyway).
post #76 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post
The 65” price on Amazon actually went up $100 since I started looking. It was $1297.99 and is now $1397.99.

Does Costco price match against slightly different model numbers? We know it’s the same TV, but Costco’s model number is slightly different (UN65NU800DFXZA).

Just noticed that Costco’s price also went up $100 (online anyway).
I do not believe that Costco ever price matches, hence the slightly different model numbers. I have also seen in the past that certain items with a Costco model numbers are slightly different in features but I don't recall seeing this regarding TV's. You will probably see these TV prices fluxuate over the next year.
post #77 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand your point but price sometimes get's in the way of my decisions. My eyes get worse every year it seems like, so maybe I shouldn't care about what I buy but with my glasses I always wear to watch TV helps. With a cash card makes this a super buy and the 82" would be a perfect size. But in the end I'll probably wait.

post #78 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand your point but price sometimes get's in the way of my decisions. My eyes get worse every year it seems like, so maybe I shouldn't care about what I buy but with my glasses I always wear to watch TV helps. With a cash card makes this a super buy and the 82" would be a perfect size. But in the end I'll probably wait.
I ordered mine last night to probably be delivered next week or possibly yet this week. My reasoning is, $3,000 minus $450 cash card equals $2550 plus the Square Trade 3 yr warranty for free. That warranty (a Samsung special not a Costco special) is like another $100 off which equals purchase price of $2450. For the 82NU8000!!! Seriously, You're taking a huge risk if you think those stars will align like this again in the future. And if it does reduce more in the next 90 days Costco will reimburse you the difference. If it goes down even another $200/300 after the 90 days, is it worth being without this TV to possibly maybe save a few more dollars? Not for me.
post #79 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ordered mine last night to probably be delivered next week or possibly yet this week. My reasoning is, $3,000 minus $450 cash card equals $2550 plus the Square Trade 3 yr warranty for free. That warranty (a Samsung special not a Costco special) is like another $100 off which equals purchase price of $2450. For the 82NU8000!!! Seriously, You're taking a huge risk if you think those stars will align like this again in the future. And if it does reduce more in the next 90 days Costco will reimburse you the difference. If it goes down even another $200/300 after the 90 days, is it worth being without this TV to possibly maybe save a few more dollars? Not for me.
It's not about saving a couple hundred dollars, its about getting what my brain say's. 85" 900f with Dolby Vision capabilities.

post #80 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not about saving a couple hundred dollars, its about getting what my brain say's. 85" 900f with Dolby Vision capabilities.
Sorry, I thought you were considering the 82NU8000. I certainly misspoke when I mentioned a couple of hundred dollars. The Sony 85x900F is $5300 and I doubt you will ever see it dip below $4999.
post #81 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyc23 View Post
Hi sigomez09. To answer your question I have the 82NU8000. I have the mount linked below.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-p...?skuId=5463301

I have it centered at eye level with no tilt. I have it pulled all the way from the wall. I like that it can be pulled, it allows it to be closer to my seating positions of 13.5 feet.

Teddy
How would owners rate the overall uniformity on this model, especially in the smaller sizes (49-65")? It looks like it tends to review well in that area. Any kind of dirty screen effect or banding is a major turnoff for me.

Also, how are your feelings about the viewing angle? Typical for VA panel*, or marginally better or worse?

** I'd say typical to me (for VA) is "Good" up to plus/minus 20 degrees, "degraded but still decent" at 25 degrees, and "distractingly poor--noticeable washout or color shift" at 30 degrees.
post #82 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
. I'm very interested in this TV for my gaming room. I've narrowed it down to 65" tcl 6 series, Vizio P series, or this nu8000. Seems the tcl and Vizio threads here are huge compared to this one.

I have my old gaming computer hooked up to this tv, it's the 65" . The video card is an R9290X with an i7 3770k cpu, the picture is absolutely amazing on just 1080p resolution and I have noticed no mouse lag using a Logitech G602 from 10 feet away.

I usually game (FPShooters) on a triple monitor setup, 28" screens (Nvidia surround) and this thing has almost ruined me from playing on my 1080p monitors.
I'm either going to have to upgrade the video card i'm using on the tv or put my main rig in the front room
post #83 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
How would owners rate the overall uniformity on this model, especially in the smaller sizes (49-65")? It looks like it tends to review well in that area. Any kind of dirty screen effect or banding is a major turnoff for me.
I have not noticed any from my old DVD player(tv does old DVD's well), Dish network STB, Youtube from tv ap and streamed through a computer, Netflix from tv ap and computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
Also, how are your feelings about the viewing angle? Typical for VA panel*, or marginally better or worse?

** I'd say typical to me (for VA) is "Good" up to plus/minus 20 degrees, "degraded but still decent" at 25 degrees, and "distractingly poor--noticeable washout or color shift" at 30 degrees.

Pretty spot on but I would say I notice bad washout at around 40*
post #84 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBIDDLE40 View Post

I have my old gaming computer hooked up to this tv, it's the 65" . The video card is an R9290X with an i7 3770k cpu, the picture is absolutely amazing on just 1080p resolution and I have noticed no mouse lag using a Logitech G602 from 10 feet away.

I usually game (FPShooters) on a triple monitor setup, 28" screens (Nvidia surround) and this thing has almost ruined me from playing on my 1080p monitors.
I'm either going to have to upgrade the video card i'm using on the tv or put my main rig in the front room[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I'm so tempted. Any of you owners have to return a tv due to dse or other issues or did you all have good purchases from the start?

Samsung 55" nu8000
i7 8700/1060 6gb
Vizio V series 40" as PC monitor
xbox 1x
panamax power filtration
post #85 of 1594 Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just pulled the trigger on the Costco deal for the 82" model online. I can't wait until it gets here! Going to put the Nvidia Shield to the test with some UHD content, and see if some of the GeForce now games will go to 4k. My son was playing Fortnite the other night from the Shield, and I saw an 2160p option in the video settings, but I don't have it hooked up to a 4k TV... yet!
post #86 of 1594 Old 07-19-2018, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBoss View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the Costco deal for the 82" model online. I can't wait until it gets here! Going to put the Nvidia Shield to the test with some UHD content, and see if some of the GeForce now games will go to 4k. My son was playing Fortnite the other night from the Shield, and I saw an 2160p option in the video settings, but I don't have it hooked up to a 4k TV... yet!
Congrats on your purchase. Are you wall mounting it or using the stand?
post #87 of 1594 Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

I see the Costco sale is over but their website said it was going to last until 7/21/18 (while supplies last)? I planned on going Saturday to look at the 82" and then renew my membership.
post #88 of 1594 Old 07-19-2018, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It was hard for me to pass this one up because the size for me was perfect and you couldn't beat the deal.

Reason why was edge lit, no Dolby Vision.

I had my eye on it for sure.

post #89 of 1594 Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 121
How is the upscaling on this model? Specifically for 720p/1080i live sports on DirecTV. I'm interested in the 65 inch. Thanks
post #90 of 1594 Old 07-19-2018, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Are you wall mounting it or using the stand?
I plan on using the stand for now. The TV we're replacing is on a stand.
Macdragonfl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page