2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 137Likes
post #1261 of 1276 Unread 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got the 82 delivered today, set it up on its stand just to see if I'm keeping it before mounting. Yep, it's a keeper. Sure I can see some issues already, but they are minor and mostly can be fixed with settings. Like if you switch between sports highlights and a music video on youtube for instance you might have to mess with the motion settings to get a better look. Honestly though that's streaming and I'm already prepared to deal with some artifacts.

Used some settings from this thread for SDR and HDR and just streaming on netflix I can see a huge difference in quality from stock. SDR 1080 streams went from grainy and ugly to quite pleasing and similar to my projector.

Only have a ps4pro and have been playing some Horizon and GOW and wow do those games look amazing.

After a while I stopped realizing I was looking at a giant LCD and just felt like I was watching my projector again. That's a win for me, now if only that ps4pro wasn't so DAMN LOUD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1276 Unread 04-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnow13 View Post
I have an AppleTV connected through HDMI 2 (enhanced) on my Sony HT-Z9F soundbar to HDMI input 4 on my 82NU8000. When I play an iTunes movie, how do I know that it's displaying HDR? I pressed the three colored dot button and then info, it only says UHD. Is that all it should say? When I use the internal VUDU app, it says HDR (and ATMOS) across the top banner. Thoughts?
This is one of my negatives about HDR on the NU8000.

The only way I can confirm it works is if I got to home>settings>picture and check the settings. I have my HDR settings slightly different vs my non-HDR. It is 100% accurate though.
I agree with you. I hope they can fix this in the next firmware version. I actually love love this tv. Once you have the settings correct it looks beautiful. Who cares of it's an edge lit. Samsung makes the best edge it. I have a great panel. No DSE nothing. I just wish Samsung can upgrade the next firmware so all we have to do is press a button to see if we are viewing in HDR. Also, why is it that I can only view the display banner on a source. How come I can't see what my apps are playing in like example 1920 x 1080p etc. There is no display banner for apps only for external sources.
post #1263 of 1276 Unread 04-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Maybe I'am stupid here but do any 4ktvs have a function where I can change the resolution. For instance. Let's say I am playing a game on my PS4 slim. I know it's not a 4k unit but do tvs have where I can change what resolution I want to play in like 1080p or 4k etc. Why can't I change the resolution? This applies to movies to. Anyone? Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader2k View Post
Went out on a limb and purchased the open box 75"NU8000 from best buy.. for a clearance open box price of $1275..

Free delivery ...next Monday. Can't wait!

Are there any common issues I should look for? Firmware update?

Well the TV was delivered today..... minus part of the stand and the power cord. Disappointing... now working with Best Buy to get these parts...gonna be 5-8 days.
Never again will I trust them on an open box. Hopefully they make it right. They said they'd knock another $50 off for my trouble.

Can't find the power button .. the manual shows it under the bottom right side of TV but all see is a what looks like a little sensor that sticks out a little - probably ambient light sensor or remote sensor.

Can anyone tell me where the actual on/off button is located on the 75" NU8000?
post #1265 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Well the TV was delivered today..... minus part of the stand and the power cord. Disappointing... now working with Best Buy to get these parts...gonna be 5-8 days.
Never again will I trust them on an open box. Hopefully they make it right. They said they'd knock another $50 off for my trouble.

Can't find the power button .. the manual shows it under the bottom right side of TV but all see is a what looks like a little sensor that sticks out a little - probably ambient light sensor or remote sensor.

It's on the very bottom of that bump that sticks out, that houses the power status LED. Push it up into the bump, basically. It will pop up a display on the screen for power off, switch input and some other functions.
post #1266 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
If you have an iPhone or Android, download the SmartThings app — it should be a better remote too boot.

Quote:
Quote:
Went out on a limb and purchased the open box 75"NU8000 from best buy.. for a clearance open box price of $1275..

Free delivery ...next Monday. Can't wait!

Are there any common issues I should look for? Firmware update?

post #1267 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamRS View Post
It's on the very bottom of that bump that sticks out, that houses the power status LED. Push it up into the bump, basically. It will pop up a display on the screen for power off, switch input and some other functions.

Thanks! Really bummed out right now as I won't be able to really check this thing out for 5-8days...
post #1268 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post
If you have an iPhone or Android, download the SmartThings app — it should be a better remote too boot.

Will do! I wasn't sure I'd really care for this Bixby remote... mebe the APP will be better. The manual is kind of sparse on info too.
post #1269 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Sorry to hear that. The button is on the bottom right side. See below pic. Just feel for it.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190415_193643.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	2553506

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #1270 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
Sorry to hear that. The button is on the bottom right side. See below pic. Just feel for it.Attachment 2553506

Yeah in the center of that sensor is the button it is kind of small but like sfsilicon said it will prompt a pop up menu when you press the center of it
post #1271 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
Sorry to hear that. The button is on the bottom right side. See below pic. Just feel for it.Attachment 2553506

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJSLP View Post
Yeah in the center of that sensor is the button it is kind of small but like sfsilicon said it will prompt a pop up menu when you press the center of it

Thanks for the pic.. yup I found it... odd little button. It was a little scuffed up but should be operational...
post #1272 of 1276 Unread 04-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Will do! I wasn't sure I'd really care for this Bixby remote... mebe the APP will be better. The manual is kind of sparse on info too.

I actually found the smart remote to be pretty good. It takes a few days of using it to get used to it but it's pretty intuitive. Much faster than getting the phone out, finding the app etc. IMHO.

My wife on the other hand hates it - she's the type of person that likes one button for one function... although she's starting to get the hang of it and is using the voice command section like a pro.

I have an Harmony elite/Hub remote setup that was powering my old theatre room setup, and the intention was to hook it up with the NU8000 etc. but at this stage I haven't bothered - the ARC hookup with my Yamaha YSP2700 sound projector/PS4 and Xbox is working well enough.
post #1273 of 1276 Unread 04-16-2019, 07:33 AM

Are you guys using the Tizen system or did anyone add on a Roku or other platforms? I think the tizen sucks not enough apps. I was thinking getting the fire 4k cube, Roku or the apple 4k. What do you guys think? Also I love the smart remote though. If I switch to the roku or other platforms can I still use the Samsung smart remote or no? I am assuming I probably cant. Anyone?
post #1274 of 1276 Unread Yesterday, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just purchased an nu8000 and I'm not sure if this is an issue or normal.

When there is a bright object on a dark background and I pan my eyes I get a red/blue rainbow effect. It's quite annoying as it is but it's when I turn on black fram insertion that it gets unbearable

I have a picture but cant post a link

Am I just hyper sensitive to this?
post #1275 of 1276 Unread Yesterday, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I wanted to alert the group about an issue I found with the Fios client boxes, model IPC1100. When I set up my NU8000 in early March, I hadn't completed my media room so I ran the Fios cable directly to the NU8000 to test it. I ran the channel scan to pick up any available channels. The pictures was great on the on the NU8000. Fast forward two weeks ago when I finally finished my Media room and connected my Fios client box to the TV. Suddenly the picture was very soft and looked like standard def picture. My other sources looked great,(Roku, UHDVD), I contacted Fios and had them send me a new Client box. I connected that box and the set up screen said weak signal.

Now I started to question the Cable wire I ran when I did my build. So I went out and bought a brand new Cable and ran it directly to the Fios splitter and the results were the same soft picture. I then took the DVR box from my family room and connected that to the NU8000 and the picture was great.

I contacted Fios support and they ran me through their first level test scripts that I had already had done on my own. They sent me to second level support next. I explained all of the testing I had completed and he asked me again to swap the DVR with the Client box to confirm the DVR had a better picture. Once I completed that task he informed me that he wanted to confirm that the issue I was having was a known issue with the IPC1100 client boxes had with 4k tv's and they were getting a firmware ready to push out to those boxes soon.

So if your Fios client boxes produced a soft un-High Def picture it's most likely the issue that impacts the signal level of the IPC1100.

My set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3
Sony UBP-X800 Ultra 4K Blu Ray Player, Harmony Ultimate Remote
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
post #1276 of 1276 Unread Today, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys! I recently bought a 65NU8009 as it was on sale. I noticed some thin vertical bands while playing Spider-Man on PS4 and panning across the sky. It's not too bad, but it's noticeable. Apart from that, I didn't notice anything else. No dead/stuck pixels, no clouding, no DSE. Picture quality is excellent, especially for the price.

There's one very annoying issue though: the clicking/cracking noises.

I've read about it before buying and experiences seem to vary from "no clicking/cracking at all" to "constantly clicking/cracking" so I decided to give it a try. Obviously I can't directly compare it to others but I briefly spent some time with a 55NU8009 and 55Q6F (2018) and didn't notice anything standing out.

While it does seem to settle down after a while, it does take some time (I'd say roughly an hour, while cracking rather frequently) but it never seems to stop entirely. Drastically increasing the backlight, when switching to HDR for example, and then switching back to SDR will make it increase in frequency again. I'm pretty confident it's heat expansion as turning the TV off also makes it crack again every now and then for like an hour. I'm not sure if it's coming from the plastic back cover or directly from inside the panel, though. Loosening or tightening the screws from the stand doesn't seem to do much. I can't say when the TV/panel has been manufactured exactly, but the screen had a protective film with a sticker on it that says, among lots of other things, "20181102xxxxxx" which may refer to a date.

TLDR: Are the clicking/cracking noises from the back cover/panel still a wide spread issue? Would it be worth exchanging it or would it very likely just be the same? Is there anything else that can be done to somehow at least alleviate this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwingin87 View Post
Just purchased an nu8000 and I'm not sure if this is an issue or normal.

When there is a bright object on a dark background and I pan my eyes I get a red/blue rainbow effect. It's quite annoying as it is but it's when I turn on black fram insertion that it gets unbearable

I have a picture but cant post a link

Am I just hyper sensitive to this?
I can confirm this as well. Enabling "High Contrast" in the Accessibility menu makes it pretty obvious as the menu becomes mostly white icons and text on black background. Enabling BFI amplifies it further. I'm guessing it could be a side-effect from using PFS phosphor to increase the color gamut. I've heard before that this can cause such artefacts. Apparently Quantum Dots don't have this issue. I don't think I noticed it in actual content, even though I tried looking for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays