2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 149Likes

post #1561 of 1594 Old 11-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb256 View Post
Hello! Nvidia just turned on VRR/Freesync over HDMI with their latest driver update.
Has anyone gotten it to work with the NU8000? I have a the 55" version on FW 1270.
G-Sync detects and enables from the Nvidia Control Panel when I set the TV to Ultimate but not Basic, and I'm getting loss of signal / blanking (I think that's what it's called) regardless of the game. This happens at 1080, 1440 and 4k. I'm using an HDMI 2.1 cable.
I have no experience with freesync or G-Sync other than this. Any advice?
Yeah not working I get the same blacking out (Flicker) Samsung has to update the firmware for it to work properly (or so was read on NVidia forum)

yesterday FW 1290.4 was released on the Korean site and I installed thinking this was it.. but no go, still blacking out ugh.

I have a 48gps fiber optic HDMI cable so its not the cable. have a 2080ti as gpu with the option to enable but alas not working properly.

hopefully Samsung can address or new nvidia drivers can fix.

LG just came out with Firmware update on their 2019 OLEDs to support gsync over HDMI. hopefully Samsung updates for not just (RU) 2019 model and includes the 2018 (NU) models.

Samsung QN75Q7FAMFXZA 1280.5 FW / Samsung UN65NU8500FXZA 1290.4 FW / Samsung UN65HU7250-SEK3500 combo / Samsung LN52B750 (the OG) / LG 47LM6700 / LG 55SK8000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1594 Old 11-22-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkn19 View Post
Hi everyone, just purchased the 55 version and after doing some grey uniformity test, i found some issues.

Overall the TV looks great, but i just notice this while watching sports like soccer.

Should I return the TV or its a common issue on this model?

Thank you in advance.
That honestly doesn't look that great. I have the 55" version as well and really have to look hard for any uniformity/banding issues. All TV's are susceptible and it basically comes down to the panel lottery as to who gets a good one. If you're able to and it's convenient enough I'd suggest returning it and trying another set. I still think the NU8000 is the best TV overall in it's price range picture and sound wise as long as you can find one with a good screen and one that doesn't make continuous loud popping noises from the back of the set. It's a known issue and unfortunately some sets are much louder than others. So luck of the draw once again. The new RU8000 appears to be a downgrade from the NU8000 especially in peak brightness according to rtings.com so I'm glad I purchased the NU8000 when I did.
post #1563 of 1594 Old 11-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures View Post
That honestly doesn't look that great. I have the 55" version as well and really have to look hard for any uniformity/banding issues. All TV's are susceptible and it basically comes down to the panel lottery as to who gets a good one. If you're able to and it's convenient enough I'd suggest returning it and trying another set. I still think the NU8000 is the best TV overall in it's price range picture and sound wise as long as you can find one with a good screen and one that doesn't make continuous loud popping noises from the back of the set. It's a known issue and unfortunately some sets are much louder than others. So luck of the draw once again. The new RU8000 appears to be a downgrade from the NU8000 especially in peak brightness according to rtings.com so I'm glad I purchased the NU8000 when I did.
Thanks for your advice.

I will proceed to return it and lets see if they send me another one without issues.

Heard the same about RU8000, that's why I decided to purchase this model.

Once I receive the new one, I will update this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1594 Old 11-24-2019, 01:17 PM

1290.4 Firmware update

I downloaded the latest update from the Samsung Korean site, installed it on my USB stick and then into the TV, then into the settings on my NU8000, Support-Update Software-Update Now, and it installed with no problems. The main fixes for the NU series are:
  • An error in interaction with SKY Q (flickering) has been fixed.
  • Automatic HDMI detection has been improved.
  • Memory optimization for NU7400 / 7500.
  • An issue where FreeSync can cause reboots has been fixed.
The last one was the fix I was looking for as my TV was always turning off and then back on if I had FreeSync enabled on my Xbox One X console while playing games. Well after 10-15 hours of testing, I haven't had it happen once so I've got my fingers crossed that this update finally corrected that problem. Video quality appears to be identical to the previous update so things are looking good.
https://www.samsung.com/sec/support/...N55NU8000FXKR/
post #1565 of 1594 Old 11-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All Sources vs. Current Source

Very new at this, but I thought once I calibrated a specific input source with a given Picture Mode, say Movie, and saved all settings under Current Source Only, then calibrated another input source like a DVD or sat box with a different Picture Mode and also saved it under Current Source Only, then anytime I tuned in that particular input source the chosen Mode would appear. Instead, I find that whenever I switch input sources, all calibrated as Current, I have to go back to Settings and select the desired Picture Mode I had calibrated for that source.

Is this how it's supposed to work or am I missing something?
If this is the way it's supposed to work, can a universal remote such as Harmony help auto-select the specific mode for the specific input source?

Using a 65NU800D...

TIA

PER
-----------------------------------------------
I'm one of the few that shouldn't be allowed to die...
post #1566 of 1594 Old 11-26-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Stupid question - I had to change the batteries in the remote for the tv and i almost couldnt get the back off.

Is there some trick to it, i had the damndest time getting the back off, dont know if i could do it again!!!

never take life seriously
post #1567 of 1594 Old 11-26-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Stupid question - I had to change the batteries in the remote for the tv and i almost couldnt get the back off.

Is there some trick to it, i had the damndest time getting the back off, dont know if i could do it again!!!
Never a stupid question. I'm right handed so I found the simplest way is to hold the remote in the palm of my left hand, buttons facing me with my fingers and thumb holding the sides, and then grasp the lower half of the remote with my right fingers and then with my thumb I simply push up on the lower half which releases the lock and slides the back cover off. Once you get that it becomes no problem at all.
post #1568 of 1594 Old 11-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post
Seems like this issue may be related to the latest TV OS killing CEC. No one else?

Also it seem the TV remote is not working properly. It will turn on/off the TV but the home button does nothing and I can't switch inputs. I guess I have to check the software version when I get home.
Ok, found the solution. It seems that Apple changed the wake button on the Apple TV. When you switch to the Apple TV via the home button on the Samsung Smart Remote, wait until it asked you to power on the Apple TV. Then hit the back button and the Apple TV will turn on.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...le-tv.2201251/
post #1569 of 1594 Old 11-27-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Never a stupid question. I'm right handed so I found the simplest way is to hold the remote in the palm of my left hand, buttons facing me with my fingers and thumb holding the sides, and then grasp the lower half of the remote with my right fingers and then with my thumb I simply push up on the lower half which releases the lock and slides the back cover off. Once you get that it becomes no problem at all.
I thought i had it but dont. Not sure really exactly what you are saying about the thumb. The thumb on my right hand, and push up on the back? I dont see exactly how to do that. This is pitiful, I just cant do it!!!

Last edited by yankeeman; 11-27-2019 at 05:56 AM.
post #1570 of 1594 Old 11-27-2019, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Strange, yours must really be stuck. I just had to change mine last week for the first time and had no issues. No special tricks. I made a quick video for you to demonstrate. Although I'm not sure all remotes are identical.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
yankeeman likes this.
post #1571 of 1594 Old 11-27-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 37
HDR+ on My Samsung NU8000, On or Off?

So I just got my first 4K UHD BD Player which is the Panasonic DP-UB420 and I also bought Toy Story 4 and Alien as my first 4K movies. I was able to configure the HDR settings for on the BD Player, but for the TV am I supposed to turn on HDR+ when I watched HDR content or leave it off and set the backlit to the max? Also are there any settings on my BD player I need to set especially for the HDR level that is geared towards this TV?
post #1572 of 1594 Old 11-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes108 View Post
Strange, yours must really be stuck. I just had to change mine last week for the first time and had no issues. No special tricks. I made a quick video for you to demonstrate. Although I'm not sure all remotes are identical.

https://youtu.be/1-j_Y68EREM

Lol. You sure made that look easy! It's weird because if I try your method my thumb just slides right off with no grip whereas the method I suggested works great for me even though I'm using the same thumb but just on the lower front of the remote pushing up.
post #1573 of 1594 Old 11-27-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Retro

Hello,

I currently have a nu8000 on 1270 firmware. Are there any recommendations outside of game mode for retro gaming? I'm find there is strange blurring and line appearing on the screen. There is also some latency.

Does anyone have a recommendation and are there any features in the new firmware to help with this?

Thanks
post #1574 of 1594 Old 11-27-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes108 View Post

https://youtu.be/1-j_Y68EREM

Thanks bud!!! Looks so easy, mine must be extra tight or something, just doesnt slide like that!!!

post #1575 of 1594 Old 11-28-2019, 02:55 PM

NU8000 Xbox One X FreeSync is fixed

I did some extensive gaming on my NU8000 after updating to 1290.4 and I haven't had any issues with the TV turning off and then back on with FreeSync enabled on my X. I know only a few games support it but I simply prefer to have it enabled anyway since it's a feature this TV supports. Well at least it does now after this latest update.
post #1576 of 1594 Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I did some extensive gaming on my NU8000 after updating to 1290.4 and I haven't had any issues with the TV turning off and then back on with FreeSync enabled on my X. I know only a few games support it but I simply prefer to have it enabled anyway since it's a feature this TV supports. Well at least it does now after this latest update.
Can't seem to find firmware for ZA. South Africa model

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
post #1577 of 1594 Old 12-03-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeth123 View Post
Can't seem to find firmware for ZA. South Africa model

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regions get their updates at different times but here in Canada I've simply been getting my TV's firmware update from the official Korean website by downloading it and putting it on my USB stick then updating from the USB and have had no problems at all. Once I've inserted the USB I go into my TV settings, support, software update, and select update now.

I don't see any reason why the official Korean update wouldn't work in all regions but if you want to be on the safe side then maybe wait until it becomes available in your area. Here's the link to the Korean update though.
https://www.samsung.com/sec/support/...N55NU8000FXKR/
post #1578 of 1594 Old 12-03-2019, 04:31 PM

Hello,

I currently have a nu8000 on 1290 firmware. Are there any recommendations outside of game mode for retro gaming? I'm find there is strange blurring and line appearing on the screen. There is also some latency.

Does anyone have a recommendation and are there any features in the new firmware to help with this?

Thanks
post #1579 of 1594 Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After updating to 1290.4 my Amazon Prime, which I access thru the TV, seems to have slowed down. Scrolling thru movie lists and stopping/resuming movies is slower.
Anybody else experience this?
post #1580 of 1594 Old 12-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Liked: 13
Fit to Screen is now disabled on 1290.4 need old version.

Fit to Screen is now disabled on the new firmware. do anyone have one version before 1270.xx
Thanks

if u use less then 60mhz.

Fix It. Can't use the pc preset it make it grey out. all other ones works.

Last edited by MrBeer; 12-07-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #1581 of 1594 Old 12-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeNC View Post
After updating to 1290.4 my Amazon Prime, which I access thru the TV, seems to have slowed down. Scrolling thru movie lists and stopping/resuming movies is slower.
Anybody else experience this?
Yes, I have the same experience but not only that. The splash screen logo is now huge, monochromatic and looks terrible, the busy animation is bigger and not as polished as before; and worst of all, the 1080p next to HD is gone from the info bar now, 720p and 1080p are both displayed as HD now. The amazon prime app feels like a significant downgrade overall. Shame.
post #1582 of 1594 Old 12-16-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Has anyone experienced any problems playing back CBS All Access programing?
post #1583 of 1594 Old 12-21-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3156 Post(s)
Liked: 3890
So I've circled back and picked up an 82inch version of this model, I previously owned a 75, which had pretty bad clouding. Fortunately clouding is very minimal on the 82. I sold my 940e because I wanted to go bigger, and got this one at an excellent price. Overall its about 85% as good as the 940e, but man the size difference is awesome!
post #1584 of 1594 Old 12-28-2019, 03:46 PM

Hi guys - first time here, I've got a hell of a problem with this TV (55" NU8000) when used with the HW-950 Sound Bar. I've tried dozens of things over the course of months to try to work around it, I'll not verbally dump everything but here's the crux...

The TV supports 120Hz at 2560x1440, when I run HDMI from my PC to the TV it detects that and everything is great.

If I run HDMI from the TV to the sound bar, then HDMI from the sound bar to the TV, no more 120Hz at 2560x1440. Only 60Hz.

It's like the TV isn't able to tell the PC that it has this 120Hz support when it has to go back through the sound bar, and it's driving me mental, it's the sole reason I bought this TV. And now I can't use this kick ass sound bar if I want the 120Hz enabled. The sound bar has HDMI 2.0 pass through which supports that 120Hz format, I checked that before buying, but now it appears like nobody at Samsung thought about this scenario.

Can't get an answer anywhere, been Googling for months and it honestly feels like I'm the only person in the world to been trying to do this! All I want to do is use the 120Hz panel whilst using the sound bar in the way it's designed to be used, can anyone possibly shed any light on why it won't pass through 1440p 120Hz?

p.s. I can make a custom resolution in NV Control Panel to brute force a 120Hz signal through to the TV, but any picture changes done on the TV like enabling HDR will kick it off and cancel it.

Thanks in advance!
post #1585 of 1594 Old 12-28-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cross View Post
Hi guys - first time here, I've got a hell of a problem with this TV (55" NU8000) when used with the HW-950 Sound Bar. I've tried dozens of things over the course of months to try to work around it, I'll not verbally dump everything but here's the crux...

The TV supports 120Hz at 2560x1440, when I run HDMI from my PC to the TV it detects that and everything is great.

If I run HDMI from the TV to the sound bar, then HDMI from the sound bar to the TV, no more 120Hz at 2560x1440. Only 60Hz.

It's like the TV isn't able to tell the PC that it has this 120Hz support when it has to go back through the sound bar, and it's driving me mental, it's the sole reason I bought this TV. And now I can't use this kick ass sound bar if I want the 120Hz enabled. The sound bar has HDMI 2.0 pass through which supports that 120Hz format, I checked that before buying, but now it appears like nobody at Samsung thought about this scenario.

Can't get an answer anywhere, been Googling for months and it honestly feels like I'm the only person in the world to been trying to do this! All I want to do is use the 120Hz panel whilst using the sound bar in the way it's designed to be used, can anyone possibly shed any light on why it won't pass through 1440p 120Hz?

p.s. I can make a custom resolution in NV Control Panel to brute force a 120Hz signal through to the TV, but any picture changes done on the TV like enabling HDR will kick it off and cancel it.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry that forth line was meant to read:

"If I run HDMI from the PC to the sound bar, then HDMI from the sound bar to the TV, no more 120Hz at 2560x1440. Only 60Hz."
post #1586 of 1594 Old 12-28-2019, 05:35 PM

So... I think I've managed to come up with a workaround, an hour after posting this and 6 months after first trying to fix it.

I'll write it down here, because it's been insanely frustrating to not find any info anywhere on this, so someone else might come across this.

Basically, it looks like the sound bar (probably all sound bars) are incapable of feeding back the unique properties of the TV panel. For example the new firmware on this TV enabled G-Sync support, but that was completely unavailable through the sound bar... probably for other reasons but it just wasn't detected. But it isn't capable of being told by the TV that it supports 120Hz 1440p, so it's just impossible to run that format through the sound bar.

Anyway, this is the workaround. It'll differ based on which video card your PC has.

Run a HDMI cable from the GPU (HDMI port) direct to the TV, that'll unlock the full capability of the TV. G-Sync still doesn't work properly but I'm going to give up on that.

Then, buy a Display Port to HDMI adaptor. Plug that into a display port on your video card. Then run HDMI cable from that direct to the sound bar.

So you'll have two cables going out from the GPU, one to the TV and one to the sound bar. The PC will pick up the sound bar as a third monitor/display, but also a digital audio device. You can then change the default audio device to be this third monitor which will have full Dolby Atmos support into the sound bar!

So you can have 120Hz 1440p playing out from the native HDMI port on the video card, and dolby atmos playing out to the sound bar through the display port to HDMI adaptor.

Bit of a messy solution which results in more cables, you lose the ability to control the sound bar with the TV remote, you lose sound settings from the TV, you gain this extra third monitor which isn't really a monitor, but I can accept all that as now I've got Dolby Atmos and the full potential of the TV now.

Really quite frustrated that this isn't documented anywhere like I'm the only one who's ever tried to do this, but whatever. Hope this helps someone in the future.
post #1587 of 1594 Old 12-31-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Your conclusion is correct. See my older post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58336858
post #1588 of 1594 Old 12-31-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
dark scene looks horrible

Before I reset all my settings and attempt to troubleshoot, can anyone tell me why HDR content looks like this ?

I've played with Local dimming settings and they don't help
Backlight is set to 50 and reducing it doesn't help unless I go all the way to 0 in which the scenes are too dark.

In 1080p non HDR content, its less noticeable but still there. I have a bestbuy warranty that I might use if I can't get this thing to look decent.

I uploaded 2 sample photos of the screen. This was Hill House in 4k HDR on netflix, those scenes are not supposed to have 4 ghosts with flashlights in the corners lol.

Dark scenes are the worse but it's still distracting and really noticeable with lighter scenes, or even just letterboxing with 21:9 content.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191228_200513.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	2661986   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_210959.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	2661988  
post #1589 of 1594 Old 12-31-2019, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post
Before I reset all my settings and attempt to troubleshoot, can anyone tell me why HDR content looks like this ?

I've played with Local dimming settings and they don't help
Backlight is set to 50 and reducing it doesn't help unless I go all the way to 0 in which the scenes are too dark.

In 1080p non HDR content, its less noticeable but still there. I have a bestbuy warranty that I might use if I can't get this thing to look decent.

I uploaded 2 sample photos of the screen. This was Hill House in 4k HDR on netflix, those scenes are not supposed to have 4 ghosts with flashlights in the corners lol.

Dark scenes are the worse but it's still distracting and really noticeable with lighter scenes, or even just letterboxing with 21:9 content.
Your tv is defective. Suggest you use your warranty and have it replaced.
post #1590 of 1594 Old 01-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
Your tv is defective. Suggest you use your warranty and have it replaced.
****, I was hoping i just enabled something. There is lots of mention of backlight bleed with this TV. Is this an extreme case or just defective ?>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page