2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 152Likes

post #1621 of 1644 Old 04-25-2020, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3038 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
One of the most recent firmware updates added eARC. Yes, it includes atmos on the DD+ audio.
Wow, eARC eh? That's awesome. I don't think we have done that update yet but we see (grayed out) the option in the TV Expert menus an option to do DD+ already.....

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1644 Old 04-25-2020, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What firmware has that update?

My current setup.
post #1623 of 1644 Old 04-25-2020, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
One of the most recent firmware updates added eARC. Yes, it includes atmos on the DD+ audio.
Wow, eARC eh? That's awesome. I don't think we have done that update yet but we see (grayed out) the option in the TV Expert menus an option to do DD+ already.....
Quote:
What firmware has that update?
I dont know what each update did. Turn on jack ryan on prime video. You'll then have the option to turn DD+ on, which will send an atmos signal. You can also turn DD+ on for netflix, vudu, hulu.
nathan_h likes this.

TV: Samsung 65NU8000/ Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2070/ Bluray: PS3 Slim/ Fronts: Focal Chorus 726V/ Center: Focal Chorus cc700V
Surrounds: Focal Chorus 705V
Subs: (4) sealed SI HT 18" powered by Inuke 6000 EQed with MiniDSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 1644 Old 04-25-2020, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Figured it out. Had to be playing a video with the right audio in order to be able to select something other than PCM output on the ARC output. Thanks for the tips!

(Well it still doesn’t say Atmos ton the receive when playing Dolemite is MyName on Netflix but at least the receiver says DD+.)

My current setup.
post #1625 of 1644 Old 05-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys, I finally purchased Radeon and after lot of troubles, I got freesync working. Hoverer, the lowest value of the freesync range is 48 hz, no matter what resolution I choose. It's not low enough, did anybody try to modify that with CRU? Does it work?

And the second question: when I'm in desktop, game motion plus option is available. When I run the game (with freesync), it is gray and unavailable. Isn't the motion interpolation available when gaming with freesync?
post #1626 of 1644 Old 05-01-2020, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Figured it out. Had to be playing a video with the right audio in order to be able to select something other than PCM output on the ARC output. Thanks for the tips!

(Well it still doesn’t say Atmos ton the receive when playing Dolemite is MyName on Netflix but at least the receiver says DD+.)
How are you all getting eARC? On my Xbox one x I cannot select it. I'm on firmware 1292
post #1627 of 1644 Old 05-01-2020, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

eARC goes from TV to AV Receiever.

Just plug your xbox into your AV receiver, and there is no need for it.

My current setup.
post #1628 of 1644 Old 05-02-2020, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Several firmware updates later and I STILL don't have the option for AirPlay. What the hell?
post #1629 of 1644 Old 05-02-2020, 11:32 PM

Can I pass through uncompressed 7.1 from PC through TV to AV receiver with this new eARC? Or will Windows still see TV as stereo only?
post #1630 of 1644 Old 05-08-2020, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamRS View Post
Several firmware updates later and I STILL don't have the option for AirPlay. What the hell?
A new firmware update was released today on the Korean site for the NU8000. 1294.1. https://www.samsung.com/sec/support/...N55NU8000FXKR/

Not sure about AirPlay as I don't use it but I've been manually updating my firmware via usb using the Korean site to download it from for the past year and haven't had a single issue yet in regards to things not working properly. I'm in Canada but it should work for those in the US as well. Not sure what was added or changed in this latest update but so far picture and sound quality appear to be the same from the previous version. I'll update if I notice anything worth mentioning after more testing.
post #1631 of 1644 Old 06-02-2020, 01:04 AM

These are my PC gaming recommendations for those who want to benefit from freesync and motion interpolation:
- if you can get stable 60 FPS in 4K resolution, turn freesync off so you can turn motion interpolation on. If you enable Vsync, TV will interpolate and you will get an experience close to 4K 120 hz.
- if you cannot reach 60 FPS in 4K, then there are two options - go 1440p with 60 FPS vsync cap with motion interpolation to get experience close to 1440p 120 hz. Or turn the freesync on. Freesync is good for games with very unstable framerate, however it starts looking quite laggy below 50 or 40 fps anyway. The image however keeps synced down to 20 FPS or so. In 1440p, there is usualy no problem, because the game always chooses 1440p 120 hz mode.
- if 1440p is still too high resolution for you and you need to go down to fullHD, then troubles appear. It's sometimes really tricky to force the game to run in 120 hz mode instead of 60 hz mode - you always need to browse PCgamingwiki to find out if that's even possible. And sometimes you simply don't suceed at forcing the game to run 120 hz mode. Unfortunately, all 60 hz modes (4k, 1440p or fullHD) are useless for freesync because the freesync range is too small and you go out of this range very often which results in super ugly tearing. Did anybody try to increase this range? I tried with CRU but I didn't suceed.

What drives me crazy is the problem that sometimes the TV doesn't respect the resolution I choose. I select 1440p in game (which should be 120 hz) but the TV says it works in 2160p 60 hz. It results into 48-60 FPS freesync range which is not good. Sometimes you have to alt+tab the game several times, sometimes you have to restart PC, sometimes you simply don't achieve what you want. Anyway, it's always better to select the desktop resolution to the same values you want to play the game in. It's quite annoying to switch the windows resolution every time you want to play a particular game, but that's the price we have to pay.

Any other suggestions for PC games from you, guys?
post #1632 of 1644 Old 06-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know the EXACT location of the IR sensor on the 65NU8000?
post #1633 of 1644 Old 06-11-2020, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've had a 82NU8000 for about a year and a half now.

Only recently have I noticed REALLY bad clouding/flashlighting in all four corners. It's only during dark scenes, but it seems way more pronounced than it did before.

I'd assume it should have been like this the whole time though? I have Hue bias lighting and previously just left it on all the time when watching, but recently got the Hue Play Syncbox or whatever so it dims down a lot more during dark scenes.

Is this something that would be covered under warranty? I also have a SquareTrade warranty I got from Costco. Would they replace it with something better? A better NU8000?

Thanks for the help!
post #1634 of 1644 Old 06-12-2020, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyNSA View Post

Only recently have I noticed REALLY bad clouding/flashlighting in all four corners. It's only during dark scenes, but it seems way more pronounced than it did before.

I'd assume it should have been like this the whole time though? I have Hue bias lighting and previously just left it on all the time when watching, but recently got the Hue Play Syncbox or whatever so it dims down a lot more during dark scenes.

Is this something that would be covered under warranty? I also have a SquareTrade warranty I got from Costco. Would they replace it with something better? A better NU8000?

Thanks for the help!
Did this happen to coincide with the latest firmware update being 1294.1? It was released a month ago in Korea but usually takes a few weeks after that to be officially released in North America or other locations. I have a 55" and haven't noticed any changes but with a larger screen any issues can be much more noticeable.

If it's that bad though and you're under warranty then there's no harm in getting it checked by a technician.
post #1635 of 1644 Old 06-12-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures View Post
Did this happen to coincide with the latest firmware update being 1294.1? It was released a month ago in Korea but usually takes a few weeks after that to be officially released in North America or other locations. I have a 55" and haven't noticed any changes but with a larger screen any issues can be much more noticeable.

If it's that bad though and you're under warranty then there's no harm in getting it checked by a technician.
I just checked and the TV is listing 1294 as the firmware. It's set to auto update, so I would guess it had to have done it recently. The timing certainly matches, as I did think it was odd that I'd never noticed it being so pronounced in the year + I've had the TV. It was obviously not a FALD TV like my old JS9500, but it wasn't offensively bad like it is now.

I looked it up and it seems like Samsung only provided 1 year warranty on the TV from purchase, so I guess I'd have to go through Squaretrade.. has anyone dealt with them before? It is pretty easy?
post #1636 of 1644 Old 06-13-2020, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
I just checked and the TV is listing 1294 as the firmware. It's set to auto update, so I would guess it had to have done it recently. The timing certainly matches, as I did think it was odd that I'd never noticed it being so pronounced in the year + I've had the TV. It was obviously not a FALD TV like my old JS9500, but it wasn't offensively bad like it is now.

I looked it up and it seems like Samsung only provided 1 year warranty on the TV from purchase, so I guess I'd have to go through Squaretrade.. has anyone dealt with them before? It is pretty easy?
I had the Samsung 75ju7100 about a year ago starting to show clouding on dark scenes. I contacted square trade. They asked for pics and few days later they offer me the 75nu8000 as a replacement. Sweet. Suggest you contact them.
EnemyNSA likes this.
post #1637 of 1644 Old 06-14-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
I had the Samsung 75ju7100 about a year ago starting to show clouding on dark scenes. I contacted square trade. They asked for pics and few days later they offer me the 75nu8000 as a replacement. Sweet. Suggest you contact them.
Ran into a wall.. I got the TV at Frys, but the squaretrade warranty at Costco.. Samsung covers the first year, Costco covers the 2nd, and square trade covers 3-5. But since I didn't buy the TV from Costco, they're refusing to do anything in year 2. So I basically have to wait until January 2021 when square trade kicks in. That's certainly an annoying detail I didn't know about (though it makes sense, I guess).
post #1638 of 1644 Old 06-17-2020, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the help!
My 75 that is mounted on the wall developed this after a couple of weeks, so I had the store bring a replacement that did the same thing. I just chalk it up to being bad design, but live with it since the set was such a good deal. I can only see it if the room is dark and it's not my primary tv anyway. I am curious if it would fix itself if I put it back on the stand it came with, but haven't tried that yet.
post #1639 of 1644 Old 06-18-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamRS View Post
My 75 that is mounted on the wall developed this after a couple of weeks, so I had the store bring a replacement that did the same thing. I just chalk it up to being bad design, but live with it since the set was such a good deal. I can only see it if the room is dark and it's not my primary tv anyway. I am curious if it would fix itself if I put it back on the stand it came with, but haven't tried that yet.
You know, this coincided with us mounting it on the wall as well, previously we had it on the stock stands. I wonder if something on the mount is pushing it in a certain way. We used the standard VESA mounts and everything.

Like you said, it's not terrible. With the backlighting on it's not too bad.. but now I have an excuse to get a new TV with the wife maybe

Gotta wait out the warranty, maybe by January they'll have a nice replacement. Or $$$.
post #1640 of 1644 Old 06-23-2020, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Rick and Morty Lines

I have an 82NU8000 and I notice when watching Rick and Morty on Hulu there are black lines where their eyes have been for a quick second after the scene moves on. I've never noticed this before. Is there a setting I can change to make this go away?
post #1641 of 1644 Old 06-28-2020, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is there a way to disable the Samsung start up menu when the unit is powered on? I use my UN75NU8000 tv basically as a monitor. All of the video switching is managed through an AV receiver, so I'd like to suppress the menu.
post #1642 of 1644 Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRAVS View Post
Is there a way to disable the Samsung start up menu when the unit is powered on? I use my UN75NU8000 tv basically as a monitor. All of the video switching is managed through an AV receiver, so I'd like to suppress the menu.

Yes, under Settings go to General —> Smart Features and disable Autorun Smart Hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500 | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
post #1643 of 1644 Old 06-29-2020, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
Yes, under Settings go to General —> Smart Features and disable Autorun Smart Hub.

Thanks

That gets rid of the lower menu, but there is still a banner at the top at start up that shows the active input. In my case that is HDMI 4. Is there a way to suppress this as well?
post #1644 of 1644 Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRAVS View Post
Thanks

That gets rid of the lower menu, but there is still a banner at the top at start up that shows the active input. In my case that is HDMI 4. Is there a way to suppress this as well?

No, I don’t think you can suppress the information banner.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500 | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page