AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2978658-2018-samsung-nu8000-owners-thread.html)

Bryn23 05-20-2018 10:35 PM

2018 Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread
 
Well, i was hoping someone started a owners thread for the Samsung NU8000, so we could keep the helpful posts of settings and issues and fixes all together.

First issue for me.

There appears to be a Denon AVR - 2018 Samsung UHD HDR TV Handshake issue (QN8-QN9 as well) and not allowing HDR to pass through, Denon are aware of it, and are working on a fix.


post away:)

pda15 05-23-2018 07:28 AM

I did a side by side last night with my 82" NU8000 vs 60" ES8000. Playing same movie. UHD on NU8000 and HD on ES8000. Viewing distance is 5 feet. Can't justify the cost of the upgrade with the increase in size and resolution. I might exchange it with an OLED or just return it. So disappointed.

Bryn23 05-23-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pda15 (Post 56232202)
I did a side by side last night with my 82" NU8000 vs 60" ES8000. Playing same movie. UHD on NU8000 and HD on ES8000. Viewing distance is 5 feet. Can't justify the cost of the upgrade with the increase in size and resolution. Here's a rundown of the cost of upgrading to UHD. I might exchange it with an OLED or just return it. So disappointed.


Viewing distance of 5 feet.... yeah that is quite close to notice any difference.

i don't think any tv will look different at that distance.

i noticed a huge difference with mine, but i did move from a 75 inch to a 82 inch with a viewing distance of 3 meters

Bruizza 05-23-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryn23 (Post 56219328)
Well, i was hoping someone started a owners thread for the Samsung NU8000, so we could keep the helpful posts of settings and issues and fixes all together.

First issue for me.

There appears to be a Denon AVR - 2018 Samsung UHD HDR TV Handshake issue (QN8-QN9 as well) and not allowing HDR to pass through, Denon are aware of it, and are working on a fix.


post away:)

100% your Denon. Bought my 75" NU8000 last Tuesday. Hooked it up to my Denon 910 and nothing but problems. Bought a Sony STR 1080 and hooked it up yesterday. After replacing a few cables that were fine for the previous setup but not this one I have an amazing picture and 0 HDR issues. I have a PS4 Pro, XBOX 1 X and an Apple TV all giving me a sweet sweet full HDR picture and it is total bliss. I love to play Destiny 2 and Forza and this TV has the best picture and input lag of any set I have owned. I can't get enough of my NU8000!

Bruizza 05-23-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pda15 (Post 56232202)
I did a side by side last night with my 82" NU8000 vs 60" ES8000. Playing same movie. UHD on NU8000 and HD on ES8000. Viewing distance is 5 feet. Can't justify the cost of the upgrade with the increase in size and resolution. I might exchange it with an OLED or just return it. So disappointed.

As stated it is your viewing distance. Might as well skip the OLED if you are going to view at 5'. You have to be twice that distance at a minimum for an 82" screen.

pda15 05-23-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruizza (Post 56234902)
As stated it is your viewing distance. Might as well skip the OLED if you are going to view at 5'. You have to be twice that distance at a minimum for an 82" screen.

My actual viewing distance is 13 feet. I meant to say that I went as close as 5 feet but can't really notice the difference between 4K and 1080p. It's not worth the upgrade for me.

Bryn23 05-23-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruizza (Post 56234890)
100% your Denon. Bought my 75" NU8000 last Tuesday. Hooked it up to my Denon 910 and nothing but problems. Bought a Sony STR 1080 and hooked it up yesterday. After replacing a few cables that were fine for the previous setup but not this one I have an amazing picture and 0 HDR issues. I have a PS4 Pro, XBOX 1 X and an Apple TV all giving me a sweet sweet full HDR picture and it is total bliss. I love to play Destiny 2 and Forza and this TV has the best picture and input lag of any set I have owned. I can't get enough of my NU8000!

that was an easy fix, just buy a new AVR:D

Ive been using my with the PS4 Pro, its not bad:D,

But that new xbox setup with VRR freestyle will be amazing once the update is released.

ive been on holidays since i got this tv, and ive put a few hours on it:o

pda15 05-23-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryn23 (Post 56235000)
that was an easy fix, just buy a new AVR:D

Ive been using my with the PS4 Pro, its not bad:D,

But that new xbox setup with VRR freestyle will be amazing once the update is released.

ive been on holidays since i got this tv, and ive put a few hours on it:o

I just got a Denon 1400. I don't play video games. 100% movies. I also get motion sickness (headaches) after watching for a few minutes with this TV.

pda15 05-23-2018 05:21 PM

I'll try the Rtings calibration settings later tonight. Hopefully it helps.

Bryn23 05-24-2018 12:14 AM

Man that sucks, Samsung AUS just released a free Xbox ONE X with as purchase of the larger NU8000's from yesterday to end of June...

So much for supporting your customers that by it at launch...

pda15 05-24-2018 07:23 AM

Calibrated my TV last night with Rtings settings and oh boy it made a huge improvement in PQ.

Bruizza 05-24-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pda15 (Post 56238082)
Calibrated my TV last night with Rtings settings and oh boy it made a huge improvement in PQ.

I felt very similar. I never got headaches but that is probably because I was on the Rtings site within 2 minutes of getting the tv on and past the initial setup stuff. Played more Forza 7 last night and watched Fantastic Beasts and was just so stoked again on the picture. After fighting with various components for over 2 years in my basement I am so happy that everything finally works. I have several 4K Blu Ray discs but will probably pick up something that will really stretch the legs on the new setup. Any suggestions?

Bryn23 05-28-2018 12:11 AM

I just noticed a firmware update. ver 1103.4 (Australian site)


although it doesn't say whats changed

mr stroke 05-28-2018 07:52 PM

82" just showed up from FRYS :)


https://i.imgur.com/sOISiUO.jpg?1
And LOL at people saying you need to be 8-13 feet away from this 82" screen. Screw that, I am all about that iMax experience at home. I am using this as a PC gaming/console monitor at about 5 ft away ;)

Bryn23 05-28-2018 09:38 PM

very nice, it'll be huge from 5 feet away

sigomez09 05-31-2018 04:26 PM

Anyone mounting their 82 inch? I am having a hard time picking a mount and wanted to see what majority of the group went with.

andy sullivan 06-02-2018 12:37 PM

I see that the 82Q6 is only $500 more than the 82NU8000. What made you go with the NU over the Q6?

Craigslue 06-02-2018 01:02 PM

I use to sit 8 - 9 feet from a 100" screen @1080p and loved it! Far more involving and realistic feeling. You start to feel part of the scene rather than watching the scene on a TV.

Horace Clark 06-02-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy sullivan (Post 56281486)
I see that the 82Q6 is only $500 more than the 82NU8000. What made you go with the NU over the Q6?

I saw both of these displays @ Best Buy the other day and all I can say is WOW. But I couldn’t see any difference between the two. My choice is going to the 82NU8000 because that’s the one that Costco carries. They have the q6 but in 75 not 82. And $500 is pretty substantial difference.

teddyc23 06-03-2018 02:14 PM

TV Mount
 
Hi sigomez09. To answer your question I have the 82NU8000. I have the mount linked below.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-p...?skuId=5463301

I have it centered at eye level with no tilt. I have it pulled all the way from the wall. I like that it can be pulled, it allows it to be closer to my seating positions of 13.5 feet.

Teddy

teddyc23 06-03-2018 02:21 PM

TV Settings
 
I have the 82NU8000. I was wondering what others are using for settings, especially backlight and contrast?

I was trying to figure out what preset I liked best. Dynamic is too vivid, and natural is quite dark. I calibrated both Standard and Movie. I have found I like standard best, it seems to have a little more pop.

Thanks

Teddy

jpinks2 06-04-2018 09:30 AM

I swear I didnt see this thread earlier!! I posted a question for owners of the 82inch which I will post here also. Did anyone think the 82 isnt as bright or sharp as the 75 or 65 inch models? Does the viewing angle seem to be worse on this than the smaller units? Are there any other foibles for the 82 inch over the smaller models? How about the TV's software ie ease of use for the wife? Thanks in advance

Hazey 06-04-2018 08:43 PM

Hi Everyone I'm new here and have the 65" NU8000 along with the Samsung Ultra HD Player UBD-M8500. I have some issues I wondered I could get some thoughts on.

1. I was a little disappointment to learn that the 4K ready Marantz SR5008 I purchased a few years ago is not allowing 4K content due to the new HDCP 2.2 (Content Protection) applied to 4K UHD movies. (So much for spending the extra amount at the time to future proof) So when I have the UBD-M8500 connected to the Marantz I am only getting 1080p. I just cannot believe the industry would implement such a thing not caring about the implications for those who purchased 4 k devices not long ago.

So the alternative which brings me to issue 2...

2. When Connecting the UBD-M8500 directly to the TV I now get 4K But I am stuck with Dolby Digital sound not True HD or even DTS. This is because of the limitation of ARC where the TV is returning the audio over the dedicated HDMI back to the Amp which apparently does not support anything above DD. This brings me to my next rant. How can a TV I buy in 2018 have this limitation? I am feeling really robbed by the industry and someone needs to take responsibility here on each issue. Using Optical cable is not an option as it doesn't support the higher res audio either.
I am running decent Receiver and Speakers so I want to take advantage of the better audio over just DD.

What do you think my chances of approaching Samsung for a solution or refund? I mean they don't care to disclose these things when your purchasing, be it Samsung or the Sales staff.

Not exactly what you want when you decide to take the plunge into 4K, with big $$$ buying TV, Player and 30+ UHD Movies


Thanks

Hazey 06-04-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazey (Post 56293064)
Hi Everyone I'm new here and have the 65" NU8000 along with the Samsung Ultra HD Player UBD-M8500. I have some issues I wondered I could get some thoughts on.

1. I was a little disappointment to learn that the 4K ready Marantz SR5008 I purchased a few years ago is not allowing 4K content due to the new HDCP 2.2 (Content Protection) applied to 4K UHD movies. (So much for spending the extra amount at the time to future proof) So when I have the UBD-M8500 connected to the Marantz I am only getting 1080p. I just cannot believe the industry would implement such a thing not caring about the implications for those who purchased 4 k devices not long ago.

So the alternative which brings me to issue 2...

2. When Connecting the UBD-M8500 directly to the TV I now get 4K But I am stuck with Dolby Digital sound not True HD or even DTS. This is because of the limitation of ARC where the TV is returning the audio over the dedicated HDMI back to the Amp which apparently does not support anything above DD. This brings me to my next rant. How can a TV I buy in 2018 have this limitation? I am feeling really robbed by the industry and someone needs to take responsibility here on each issue. Using Optical cable is not an option as it doesn't support the higher res audio either.
I am running decent Receiver and Speakers so I want to take advantage of the better audio over just DD.

What do you think my chances of approaching Samsung for a solution or refund? I mean they don't care to disclose these things when your purchasing, be it Samsung or the Sales staff.

Not exactly what you want when you decide to take the plunge into 4K, with big $$$ buying TV, Player and 30+ UHD Movies


Thanks

Looks like I may need to swap the 4K UHD player to one with dual HDMI ports. So I can split out the Audio direct to my receiver...Trouble is Samsung do not have one so much for an integrated system.

Bryn23 06-04-2018 11:42 PM

Hazey, it might be worth looking at the new panasonic 2018 4K players that will be out in the next month or so.

the 820 has dual HDMI outs for video and audio

Im looking at getting one, as it handles HDR+ content and with the dual outs, i can direct connect to the TV and audio to the AVR.

MitchConnor 06-05-2018 05:01 AM

Has anyone watched hockey on an NU8000? The rtings review says dirty screen effect is minimal and mostly on the edges, but I am just looking for another opinion.

I have a 2015 Vizio E55 right now and it has very bad DSE, which I'm trying to avoid on my next TV.

Hazey 06-05-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryn23 (Post 56293450)
Hazey, it might be worth looking at the new panasonic 2018 4K players that will be out in the next month or so.

the 820 has dual HDMI outs for video and audio

Im looking at getting one, as it handles HDR+ content and with the dual outs, i can direct connect to the TV and audio to the AVR.

I was thinking of exchanging for the Sony x700, its on special at JBHIFI here in Oz so will end up with some change. It has dual HDMI. That Panasonic looks higher end and full component size but all my gear is hidden out of site anyway

Hazey 06-05-2018 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whats the thoughts on lack of screen saver and Screen burn on the NU8000?

Id like to utilize spotify and playing audio cd's but would much prefer the screen to black out. When playing Audio CD's with my UBD-M8500 I get this horrible interface with no media info at all.
The other problem is when I want to play a cd as soon as I open the tray it powers up the NU8000. Sorry I'm a noob , is this because of the Anynet+ feature?
If I changed to the Sony X700 unit would this solve that problem?

yankeeman 06-10-2018 03:53 PM

I just bought a 2018 nu8000 65" Samsung. The big feature I want to do (I did it on my old Samsung tv no problem but it died) is to stream baseball games to it from MLB.TV. This app is not there (it came pre loaded on my last Samsung). It would probably be called AT BAT but could also be called MLB.TV. I am very low tech, can anyone tell me how I can get the app loaded into my set? Thanks guys.

Bryn23 06-11-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeeman (Post 56323376)
I just bought a 2018 nu8000 65" Samsung. The big feature I want to do (I did it on my old Samsung tv no problem but it died) is to stream baseball games to it from MLB.TV. This app is not there (it came pre loaded on my last Samsung). It would probably be called AT BAT but could also be called MLB.TV. I am very low tech, can anyone tell me how I can get the app loaded into my set? Thanks guys.

Im away from my TV, but there is a app store on the tv, which allows you to search and download.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.