2018 Samsung Q9FN Settings Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 119Likes

post #31 of 622 Old 06-07-2018, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShePearl View Post
Hi BESLC,
Indeed. Q9FN is in my room where I usually watch in quite dimmed lighting environment (if not completely dark.)

If lighting environment is changed to your description, I would change 4 settings below:

- Backlight should be fixed at max for HDR regardless of lighting environment. But for SDR, adjust according to your lighting environment.

- Brightness may need to be increased slightly.

- Local Dimming set to Low.

- Contrast Enhancer. I would set it at High (yes, high) with Local Dimming at Low for brighter lighting environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If I am clear on your reply, all of your settings are good for either environment referenced. The only modifications necessary to address my environment would be to the four parameters you noted. Thank you..very helpful ,your time appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 622 Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post
If I am clear on your reply, all of your settings are good for either environment referenced. The only modifications necessary to address my environment would be to the four parameters you noted. Thank you..very helpful ,your time appreciated.
Yes. Backlight, Brightness, Local Dimming + Contrast Enhancer are the ones I would change accordingly depending on lighting conditions.

Also, I have Color Space Setting at Native for SDR contents because I like the color pop it brings over Auto. However, skin ton may look a bit off if you have this at Native. The best bet is to set it at Auto whether source is SDR or HDR.
post #33 of 622 Old 06-08-2018, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What can I do about the very bright white subtitles without changing to much to the picture quality?

Wilco

Advertisement

post #34 of 622 Old 06-08-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbree View Post
What can I do about the very bright white subtitles without changing to much to the picture quality?

Wilco

Are you playing subtitles through internal apps or from a disc player? Some disc players have an option to dim subtitles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Are you playing subtitles through internal apps or from a disc player? Some disc players have an option to dim subtitles.

From a media player (Android 7.1.2) using Kodi 17.6. The subtitles were in this case external.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

post #36 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a General settings sweet spot?

I am curious if those of you who have calibrated or customized your settings, how they differed from Modernwizw or Rtings.com? I realize environment plays a big part as well as personal preferences.

What I am trying to determine is if there is a sweet spot baseline to set to, then adjust for personal preferences.

Additionally if you have a preferred mode for General viewing.

Thanks again for you support of this thread!
post #37 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post
I am curious if those of you who have calibrated or customized your settings, how they differed from Modernwizw or Rtings.com? I realize environment plays a big part as well as personal preferences.

What I am trying to determine is if there is a sweet spot baseline to set to, then adjust for personal preferences.

Additionally if you have a preferred mode for General viewing.

Thanks again for you support of this thread!

Modernwizw to my understanding mostly did his settings by what looks good. Rtings calibrated to what is the calibrated standard. They also adjusted the display to push a gamma of 2.2 whereas the tv in movie mode tracks 2.4. 2.4 is gonna have a deeper black. 2.2 is a daytime setting which will have more shadow detail. Settings I posted calibrated slightly in between at 2.35 since I was following bt1886.

Honestly, if you don’t plan on having a professional calibrator come in, I’d just recommend adjusting backlight to what’s comfortable in your viewing environment adjust contrast to the degree of “pop” you want. Adjust color to how vivid you want.

Keithian likes this.
post #38 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 681
The QLEDs don't much like gamma 2.2. It's just about impossible to get all gray levels to track properly. It's like BT.1886 2.4 is in their DNA.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Theater, Win 10 Pro x64 1909
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #39 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
The QLEDs don't much like gamma 2.2. It's just about impossible to get all gray levels to track properly. It's like BT.1886 2.4 is in their DNA.

Well to my understanding. I think hdtvtest spelled it out that “brightness” control is actually lifting gamma, and so is gamma. So to actually get 2.2 to track correctly may involve manipulating both. I haven’t messed with trying for a 2.2 calibration, but I may try and challenge myself. I also didn’t calibrate with dimming set to low, I used medium. And used 18% constant apl window instead of full field

post #40 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well to my understanding. I think hdtvtest spelled it out that “brightness” control is actually lifting gamma, and so is gamma. So to actually get 2.2 to track correctly may involve manipulating both. I haven’t messed with trying for a 2.2 calibration, but I may try and challenge myself. I also didn’t calibrate with dimming set to low, I used medium. And used 18% constant apl window instead of full field

What I have found is Brightness affects the blacker levels. The higher gray levels are barely affected. And yes, you need to work both gamma and brightness in your pursuit of gamma changing happiness . I always set the backlight / contrast combo to the white level first, then mess with the rest for the gamma / dynamic range du jour. But the backlight / contrast combo does affect how the others behave. It's an adventurous quest which as a retiree with little social involvement keeps me entertained .

Yes, SpectraCal recommends the 18% APL. I calibrate with low dimming, by Medium do you mean you use Standard? I did try High to check it out but it was a calibrating nightmare .

So far using the saturation sweep at 75% calibration gets me better results than the CMS calibration. Also so far color @ 26 works best for me.

But I'm talking SDR here at 100 nits, boring for most of you guys .

Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Theater, Win 10 Pro x64 1909
post #41 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I have found is Brightness affects the blacker levels. The higher gray levels are barely affected. And yes, you need to work both gamma and brightness in your pursuit of gamma changing happiness . I always set the backlight / contrast combo to the white level first, then mess with the rest for the gamma / dynamic range du jour. But the backlight / contrast combo does affect how the others behave. It's an adventurous quest which as a retiree with little social involvement keeps me entertained .

Yes, SpectraCal recommends the 18% APL. I calibrate with low dimming, by Medium do you mean you use Standard? I did try High to check it out but it was a calibrating nightmare .

So far using the saturation sweep at 75% calibration gets me better results than the CMS calibration. Also so far color @ 26 works best for me.

But I'm talking SDR here at 100 nits, boring for most of you guys .

Yes I meant standard not medium, I do most of my forum chat from my phone often at work so I don’t have the menu in front of me to remember actual setting names

I was surprised that rtings left contrast at 45. But they might not have been calibrating for whiter than white. I calibrated to 109% and setting of 45 clipped quite a bit.

I calibrated sdr to 124 nits which was as close to my 120 target as I could get. I’ll have to mess with color some more. I’ll have to try using the saturation sweep as I was also having issues with cms. Using cms with a color value of 25, target points tracked fine, but lower saturations were all very under saturated. I raised color all the way up to 35 and recalibrated. Luminance was excessively high, but saturation tracked a lot better for lower values.

post #42 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I meant standard not medium, I do most of my forum chat from my phone often at work so I don’t have the menu in front of me to remember actual setting names

I was surprised that rtings left contrast at 45. But they might not have been calibrating for whiter than white. I calibrated to 109% and setting of 45 clipped quite a bit.

I calibrated sdr to 124 nits which was as close to my 120 target as I could get. I’ll have to mess with color some more. I’ll have to try using the saturation sweep as I was also having issues with cms. Using cms with a color value of 25, target points tracked fine, but lower saturations were all very under saturated. I raised color all the way up to 35 and recalibrated. Luminance was excessively high, but saturation tracked a lot better for lower values.
Wen you try calibrating for 109% are you referring to higher than white gray levels looking pinkish?

post #43 of 622 Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wen you try calibrating for 109% are you referring to higher than white gray levels looking pinkish?

I personally just calibrate my 2 point white balance to 109%/30%. I actually haven’t noticed a pink skew on higher gray levels because it hasn’t presented itself on an 18%apl slide.

I haven’t looked specifically at a contrast pluge pattern yet, just the contrast readout from the enthusiast workflow. So if there is/was pink visible at a higher contrast level I haven’t seen it.

I came from oled which calibrating at 109 better preserved specular highlights in sdr material. Gave more dimensionality to clouds and such at least in my viewing

post #44 of 622 Old 06-10-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I personally just calibrate my 2 point white balance to 109%/30%. I actually haven’t noticed a pink skew on higher gray levels because it hasn’t presented itself on an 18%apl slide.

I haven’t looked specifically at a contrast pluge pattern yet, just the contrast readout from the enthusiast workflow. So if there is/was pink visible at a higher contrast level I haven’t seen it.

I came from oled which calibrating at 109 better preserved specular highlights in sdr material. Gave more dimensionality to clouds and such at least in my viewing
I use this AVS disc to check for black crush and higher than white performance. In the Basics there are some useful patterns for this. It also has the usual gray scales and such as well as calibration patterns like the APLs, which I don't need since I use my Radiance processor as the pattern source.

HDMV 2.0

I should have added above under the current 2017 model CalMAN process I need to add 1 or 2 to the Brightness to remove black crush, everything else looks primarily unaffected.

post #45 of 622 Old 06-10-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use this AVS disc to check for black crush and higher than white performance. In the Basics there are some useful patterns for this. It also has the usual gray scales and such as well as calibration patterns like the APLs, which I don't need since I use my Radiance processor as the pattern source.

HDMV 2.0

I should have added above under the current 2017 model CalMAN process I need to add 1 or 2 to the Brightness to remove black crush, everything else looks primarily unaffected.

I have found that I too find it preferable to tick brightness up 1 to reduce black crush.

post #46 of 622 Old 06-11-2018, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Question for those of you who have the 75",have you compared your settings to the 65" and if there are any notable differenences?

In the general Q9FNthread, many are reporting the 75" panel is superior to the 65".notably far less DSE. I was curious if there were any settings that differ...thank you!
post #47 of 622 Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Calman beta is out with 2018 Samsung addition. Haven’t tested it myself, but did download. May play with it tonight and give impressions.

http://files.spectracal.com/download...alMAN_Home.exe

post #48 of 622 Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Calman beta is out with 2018 Samsung addition. Haven’t tested it myself, but did download. May play with it tonight and give impressions.

That is great news, thank you for the heads up. You time and feedback really appreciated.
post #49 of 622 Old 06-13-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The joke's on us!

TestGoddess wrote:
Yeah, looks like a licensing glitch and it only got put into Ultimate for this build.

ARRGGHHH!

post #50 of 622 Old 06-13-2018, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The joke's on us!

TestGoddess wrote:
Yeah, looks like a licensing glitch and it only got put into Ultimate for this build.

ARRGGHHH!
Alright! They'll be posting a version with the fix tomorrow!

post #51 of 622 Old 06-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Out of curiosity, I fiddled around with HDR+ setting in high ambient lighting environment yesterday. I tried it while watching Ready Player One (IPTV VOD, 1080p). I was a bit surprised that HDR+ made the picture more appealing. The outcome may look different in low/dark ambient light condition (ie. critical viewing mode). But it made SDR content look HDRish without venturing too far off the original signature of the picture. I liked it. I discredited it without even trying because I didn't like the sound of idea that it "mimics".
HDR+ (for SDR content) can look great in daytime, mid-high ambient lighting condition. It looked great on 1080p SDR Ready Player One.
Keithian likes this.
post #52 of 622 Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShePearl View Post
Out of curiosity, I fiddled around with HDR+ setting in high ambient lighting environment yesterday. I tried it while watching Ready Player One (IPTV VOD, 1080p). I was a bit surprised that HDR+ made the picture more appealing. The outcome may look different in low/dark ambient light condition (ie. critical viewing mode). But it made SDR content look HDRish without venturing too far off the original signature of the picture. I liked it. I discredited it without even trying because I didn't like the sound of idea that it "mimics".
HDR+ (for SDR content) can look great in daytime, mid-high ambient lighting condition. It looked great on 1080p SDR Ready Player One.
I agree, it looked great on 1080i sources via DirectTV. On 720p, watching cloak and dagger tonight, it look meh on or off. I think HDR+ looks great on everything above 720p, but I need to test more, haven't had the TV long enough still.
ShePearl likes this.
post #53 of 622 Old 06-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Do firmware updates change calibration settings?
post #54 of 622 Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardi View Post
Do firmware updates change calibration settings?
It's a possibility, but hopefully not.

post #55 of 622 Old 06-14-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Calman is updated and corrected for associated licenses according to spectracal‘ forum. Ddc is updated however meter mode is not updated but most likely will not have a huge impact.

post #56 of 622 Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Calman is updated and corrected for associated licenses according to spectracal‘ forum. Ddc is updated however meter mode is not updated but most likely will not have a huge impact.

You will laugh when you see what the 2018 21-point grayscale looks like. They have some wacky fractional levels, which explains why the 2017 normal grayscale would not AutoCal properly. It AutoCals pretty nicely now. The backlight control goes way higher in nits now, which will make you happy .

Proper 2018 meter next rev.

post #57 of 622 Old 06-14-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You will laugh when you see what the 2018 21-point grayscale looks like. They have some wacky fractional levels, which explains why the 2017 normal grayscale would not AutoCal properly. It AutoCals pretty nicely now. The backlight control goes way higher in nits now, which will make you happy .

Proper 2018 meter next rev.

Lg did the same thing with their calibrations. Granted they took a 21pt and made it a 27pt. Doing levels down to 2.7, 3.7, 5, 7.8...weird in between points

post #58 of 622 Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lg did the same thing with their calibrations. Granted they took a 21pt and made it a 27pt. Doing levels down to 2.7, 3.7, 5, 7.8...weird in between points

That would have been better. Samsung's lowest level is 7. I'll post how the cal went tonight, I'm trying various settings.

post #59 of 622 Old 06-15-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to get a 2.2 gamma calibration with the Gamma setting set to 1, but the darkest level, 7%, got very weird while adjusting and suddenly jumped 2 points and wouldn't come down to its original even with the most extreme adjustment, ~2.25, a bit darker than I wanted. But with Brightness up 2 clicks no black crush and it really looks good (for me ). I'm going to wait for the 2018 meter option before posting any settings though.

post #60 of 622 Old 06-16-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was able to get a 2.2 gamma calibration with the Gamma setting set to 1, but the darkest level, 7%, got very weird while adjusting and suddenly jumped 2 points and wouldn't come down to its original even with the most extreme adjustment, ~2.25, a bit darker than I wanted. But with Brightness up 2 clicks no black crush and it really looks good (for me ). I'm going to wait for the 2018 meter option before posting any settings though.

I plan on playing with this on maybe Monday. I’m on a vacation right now away from home but very curious how it will work out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page