2018 Samsung Q9FN Settings Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #91 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I got my q9fn to match the depth, color saturation and black levels to match my oled at least 90% by using these settings for HDR and sdr movies, cable tv, netflix & amazon streaming, sdr & HDR gaming. You gotta trust me on these settings even though im not a pro. But I sat my q9fn next to my c8 and tried to get it to match the default sdr technicolor expert mode, HDR cinema, HDR & sdr game modes as close as possible. For those that love the oled look, you must try these settings. I am getting almost as good contrast without overly crushing the blacks. I tested shadow detail in a bunch of different scenes and got them really close to oled. Gamma and brightness are the two most important settings that are required to achieve close to oled level depth.

SDR Movie mode
Backlight 5-20 (if you liked oled light close at max, use 20 or go even higher for peak brightness boost
Brightness -1 (you must set it to -1 to get the depth. Higher will wash it out, lower will overly crush blacks)
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Digital Clean View auto, low, or off (depending if you want cleaner picture with slightly less detail or vice versa )
Auto Motion plus custom (set it wherever you find it comfortable)
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma bt.1886 -2 or 0 (if you like 2.4 gamma on the lg oled or -2 on sony set it to -2 on the q9. If you liked 2.2 set it to 0)
Color Space Auto

HDR Movie mode
Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Digital Clean View auto, low, or off (depending if you want cleaner picture with slightly less detail or vice versa )
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma st.2084 0
Color Space Auto

SDR Game mode
Backlight 5-20 (if you liked oled light close at max, use 20 or go even higher for peak brightness boost)
Brightness -1 (you must set it to -1 to get the depth. Higher will wash it out, lower will overly crush blacks)
Contrast 50
Sharpness 4
Color 30 (25 if you prefer less saturated)
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma bt.1886 0
Color Space Native (auto if you prefer less saturated)

HDR Game mode
Backlight 50
Brightness -3 (you gotta trust me on this one. HDR game mode on this tv is extremely washed out and brightness at -3 combined with the st.2084 +3 setting below matches the nice depth you get in HDR game mode on the lg c8 the closest)
Contrast 50
Sharpness 4
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma st.2084 +3 (to even out the lowering of the brightness)
Color Space Native BT.2020 (You must first go to custom, then change from DCI-P3 to BT.2020 and then go back and put it on Native. If you like less saturated leave it on DCI-P3/auto or even less saturated at BT.2020/auto. If you leave it on default Native it will be on dci-p3 which is super saturated)

These settings are fire. Even with gaming. I get for the most part that oled look and feel with the benefits of the peak brightness for my bright room.
Giving these a shot on my 75.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I am curious on how many hours you have on your sets before you are making settings changes?

I have a 75", and was told to have between 100 to 200 hours on set before making changes.
post #93 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
Giving these a shot on my 75.

Looking forward to your impressions on these settings with the 75"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post
Looking forward to your impressions on these settings with the 75"
Looks pretty good to me. I'll put on a darker show later like Arrow via Netflix later tonight.

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
post #95 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymo View Post
Is that for 65" or 75" ?

65”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #96 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2018 Samsung Q9FN Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
Looks pretty good to me. I'll put on a darker show later like Arrow via Netflix later tonight.

I tested side by side with a c8 using the same dark scenes on atv4k and hdr brightness at zero is the equivalent of sdr brightness at -1. Also tested a challenging dark scene in hdr game mode in god of war. Stock settings were dull. The highlights on kratos’s axe were muted. Setting brightness to -3 and st.2084 to +3 got it to look very close to oled. Oled still wins this challenging dark scene but no where near as much with these settings. Then I put a colorful game on (ratchet and clank) and saturation matched really well and shadow detail as well with these settings. Color is subjective but to get it very close to the oled I had to go into color space and switch it to custom then change from dci-p3 to bt.2020 then back to native. Both native and auto look different after changing to bt.2020. You can play with the color space depending on how saturated you want your games to look.

Last edited by sd13; 07-10-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #97 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
I got my q9fn to match the depth, color saturation and black levels to match my oled at least 90% by using these settings for HDR and sdr movies, cable tv, netflix & amazon streaming, sdr & HDR gaming. You gotta trust me on these settings even though im not a pro. But I sat my q9fn next to my c8 and tried to get it to match the default sdr technicolor expert mode, HDR cinema, HDR & sdr game modes as close as possible. For those that love the oled look, you must try these settings. I am getting almost as good contrast without overly crushing the blacks. I tested shadow detail in a bunch of different scenes and got them really close to oled. Gamma and brightness are the two most important settings that are required to achieve close to oled level depth.

SDR Movie mode
Backlight 5-20 (if you liked oled light close at max, use 20 or go even higher for peak brightness boost
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma bt.1886 -2 or 0 (if you like 2.4 gamma on the lg oled or -2 on sony set it to -2 on the q9. If you liked 2.2 set it to 0)
Color Space Auto

HDR Movie mode
Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma st.2084 0
Color Space Auto

SDR Game mode
Backlight 5-20 (if you liked oled light close at max, use 20 or go even higher for peak brightness boost)
Contrast 50
Sharpness 4
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma bt.1886 0

HDR Game mode
Backlight 50
Brightness -3 (you gotta trust me on this one. HDR game mode on this tv is extremely washed out and brightness at -3 combined with the st.2084 +3 setting below matches the nice depth you get in HDR game mode on the lg c8 the closest)
Contrast 50
Sharpness 4
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Color Space Native BT.2020 (You must first go to custom, then change from DCI-P3 to BT.2020 and then go back and put it on Native. If you like less saturated leave it on DCI-P3/auto or even less saturated at BT.2020/auto. If you leave it on default Native it will be on dci-p3 which is super saturated)

These settings are fire. Even with gaming. I get for the most part that oled look and feel with the benefits of the peak brightness for my bright room.
Thank you for posting your settings. This might be a stupid question for those who are used to this, but I'm trying your settings...if I'm in Netflix as an example, and I chose Movie Mode, and I've selected an HDR title, then I plug in your settings and chose "Current Source"...do I have to keep changing the settings if I'm still in Netflix and watching a non HDR source? I set your SDR settings when watching my DVR/DirectTV, but wondering how do you change settings within Movie Mode without going into the individual settings for the same source like Netflix? Sorry, this is probably second nature to all of you with more experience :-).
post #98 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m not 100% sure since I use “all sources” not “current source” but I believe that if you are in current source it will change the settings only for the current source. Sdr, hdr, and game mode are always Independent of each other. So if you change Netflix for current source and sdr, hdr in Netflix will not be touched and I believe neither will the sdr settings in other sources.

post #99 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Thank you for posting your settings. This might be a stupid question for those who are used to this, but I'm trying your settings...if I'm in Netflix as an example, and I chose Movie Mode, and I've selected an HDR title, then I plug in your settings and chose "Current Source"...do I have to keep changing the settings if I'm still in Netflix and watching a non HDR source? I set your SDR settings when watching my DVR/DirectTV, but wondering how do you change settings within Movie Mode without going into the individual settings for the same source like Netflix? Sorry, this is probably second nature to all of you with more experience :-).

I’m not 100% sure since I use “all sources” not “current source” but I believe that if you are in current source it will change the settings only for the current source. Sdr, hdr, and game mode are always Independent of each other. So if you change Netflix for current source and sdr, hdr in Netflix will not be touched and I believe neither will the sdr settings in other sources.

post #100 of 628 Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:

Ahhhh, that helps. I thought by source it meant input source, not HDR versus SDR. It was driving me crazy how you split one input source within the same picture mode. Thank you.
post #101 of 628 Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Ahhhh, that helps. I thought by source it meant input source, not HDR versus SDR. It was driving me crazy how you split one input source within the same picture mode. Thank you.
I was wondering the same thing thanks for asking and sd13, thanks for clearing this up. Also another beautiful thing about the q9fn is the auto game mode feature. Having it on auto, on the xbox for example, will be able to tell the difference between a game and a 4k blu ray. Unlike past Samsung sets having to disable this in general settings constantly.
post #102 of 628 Old 07-12-2018, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
There is an option in Apple TV 4K to choose YCbCr, RGB High and RGB Low.
What option will give me the best quality settings" when I watching my 4K, Dolby Vision and HDR movies from iTunes on Q9FN 65"

And about chroma 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 what is best there ?

𝕊𝕖𝕥𝕦𝕡 | 𝕊𝕒𝕞𝕤𝕦𝕟𝕘 𝟞𝟝ℚ𝟡𝔽ℕ | 𝔸𝕋𝕍𝟜𝕂 | ℙ𝕊𝟜 ℙ𝕣𝕠 | ℕ𝔸𝔻 ℂ𝟛𝟞𝟠 + 𝕄𝔻ℂ 𝔹𝕝𝕦𝕆𝕊 𝟚𝕚 | ℕ𝔸𝔻 ℂ𝟚𝟞𝟠 | ℕ𝔸𝔻 𝕋𝟟𝟜𝟛 | 𝔻𝔸𝕃𝕀 ℤ𝕖𝕟𝕤𝕠𝕣 𝟟 |
post #103 of 628 Old 07-12-2018, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

SDR Movie mode
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Color Space Auto

Thanks!! These settings are pretty spot-on. I find the more I watch the set, the better the colors are getting and the better the local dimming is getting with black bars. Maybe it's a break-in thing. Either way, I'm really digging the set now. Do not miss my plasma at all, and do not envy the OLEDs.
post #104 of 628 Old 07-12-2018, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

SDR Movie mode
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Color Space Auto

HDR Movie mode
Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma st.2084 0
Color Space Auto

SDR Game mode
Contrast 50
Sharpness 4
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma bt.1886 0

HDR Game mode
Backlight 50
Contrast 50
Sharpness 4
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2

I am curious on how many hours did your set have prior to making the settings adjustments you posted?

Many people have noted that the picture quality improves on their sets after a break-in period of a number of hours. I have a 75" and was told to give it between 100 and 200 hours on break-in.
post #105 of 628 Old 07-12-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am curious on how many hours did your set have prior to making the settings adjustments you posted?

Many people have noted that the picture quality improves on their sets after a break-in period of a number of hours. I have a 75" and was told to give it between 100 and 200 hours on break-in.
I left my tv running like 12 hours a day for a week straight but its been a couple of weeks now and still looks good with these settings. Picture is still washed out if I use stock movie mode. And HDR game mode is broken unless I drastically change brightness and st.2084.
post #106 of 628 Old 07-12-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I left my tv running like 12 hours a day for a week straight but its been a couple of weeks now and still looks good with these settings. Picture is still washed out if I use stock movie mode. And HDR game mode is broken unless I drastically change brightness and st.2084.
post #107 of 628 Old 07-12-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post
Thanks!! These settings are pretty spot-on. I find the more I watch the set, the better the colors are getting and the better the local dimming is getting with black bars. Maybe it's a break-in thing. Either way, I'm really digging the set now. Do not miss my plasma at all, and do not envy the OLEDs.
One more thing I noticed. I like changing the contrast between 43 and 50 depending on the movie I am watching when in HDR movie mode. Sometimes it looks better with higher and sometimes better with lower contrast.
post #108 of 628 Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 PM

Watched A Quiet Place with the HDR settings and was definitely very pleased.
Quote:
One more thing I noticed. I like changing the contrast between 43 and 50 depending on the movie I am watching when in HDR movie mode. Sometimes it looks better with higher and sometimes better with lower contrast.

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
post #109 of 628 Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Gunna try them out and report back..
post #110 of 628 Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there a default mode you use for most viewing? I am assuming when you indicate that the picture is washed out in factory settings in movie mode ,that issue is resolved with your posted settings?
post #111 of 628 Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a default mode you use for most viewing? I am assuming when you indicate that the picture is washed out in factory settings in movie mode ,that issue is resolved with your posted settings?
It's washed out with default movie mode settings in sdr. But the key setting that fixes that is turning brightness to -1. Lowering gamma slightly is my personal preference but unnecessary. The key is lowering brightness. Going lower than -1 would crush blacks too much though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hawkmoon likes this.
post #112 of 628 Old 07-13-2018, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
It's washed out with default movie mode settings in sdr. But the key setting that fixes that is turning brightness to -1. Lowering gamma slightly is my personal preference but unnecessary. The key is lowering brightness. Going lower than -1 would crush blacks too much though.

Thanks! I did try your settings on my 75" Q9 and it just looked off. I will try them again when I have more time, but for gaming, the initial viewing did not look that great versus what I currently use. I will give them more time and use a few more games to test.

Do you adjust anything with the 2point white balance?

-Hawkmoon
post #113 of 628 Old 07-13-2018, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you in game mode for games? I use different settings for game modes.

post #114 of 628 Old 07-14-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

SDR Movie mode
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Color Space Auto

HDR Movie mode
Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma st.2084 0
Color Space Auto

SDR Game mode
Contrast 50
Sharpness 4
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma bt.1886 0

HDR Game mode
Backlight 50
Contrast 50
Sharpness 4
Tint 0
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2

I might try these on my Q8FN 75", since posts regarding settings on here are lacking for that set.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #115 of 628 Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 AM

After trying some posted settings and liking them, I found a few movies that just didn't work with them, Heat being a notable example. It was completely dark, unwatchable during the day. So, I tinkered a little and I think these settings work with almost anything, day or night. I feel like they deliver the brightness without washing out skin tones or detail. They may not be perfectly calibrated, but see what you think.

SDR Movie mode
Backlight 33
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Digital Clean View: OFF
Auto Motion plus: OFF
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma: 0
Color Space Auto
bodean likes this.
post #116 of 628 Old 07-17-2018, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
After trying some posted settings and liking them, I found a few movies that just didn't work with them, Heat being a notable example. It was completely dark, unwatchable during the day. So, I tinkered a little and I think these settings work with almost anything, day or night. I feel like they deliver the brightness without washing out skin tones or detail. They may not be perfectly calibrated, but see what you think.

SDR Movie mode
Backlight 33
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Digital Clean View: OFF
Auto Motion plus: OFF
Local Dimming High
Contrast Enhancer Off
Color Tone Warm2
Gamma: 0
Color Space Auto
What size Q9 are you using, also what is your typical viewing environment? I mean , do you view in a dark environment or is there outside or room lighting when you view?
post #117 of 628 Old 07-17-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
What size Q9 are you using, also what is your typical viewing environment? I mean , do you view in a dark environment or is there outside or room lighting when you view?
I have a 65", and I never have the lights on -- however, my living room has three bright windows at a 90 degree angle to the set, and even when the shades are down, the room is bright. So these are the best settings I've found that work in both dark and bright environments. I do mostly movie viewing at night, and occasional sports or such during the day. Not a gamer. Also FWIW, found that switching the HDMI settings on my Apple TV 4 to the higher quality ones made a difference.
post #118 of 628 Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a 65", and I never have the lights on -- however, my living room has three bright windows at a 90 degree angle to the set, and even when the shades are down, the room is bright. So these are the best settings I've found that work in both dark and bright environments. I do mostly movie viewing at night, and occasional sports or such during the day. Not a gamer. Also FWIW, found that switching the HDMI settings on my Apple TV 4 to the higher quality ones made a difference.

Thank you for the reply. I have a 75" which is viewed in a family room which has both outside as well as room lighting to deal with. So my viewing environment would not have the benefit of a dark room.

I am trying to find that sweet spot with settings that will work well with the light conditions I have.

Last edited by BESLC; 07-17-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #119 of 628 Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Curious if anyone has had Best Buy calibration on their set, If so your experience?
post #120 of 628 Old 07-19-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
Quote:
Curious if anyone has had Best Buy calibration on their set, If so your experience?
This question comes up every now and then. It appears that most who have had BB calibrate their panels have been less than satisfied. Depending on the panel and what you want done, a typical professional calibration usually takes 2-3 hours minimum. BB seems to get it done in around 90 minutes. Besides being certified, there's a bit of an art to a proper calibration based on the experience of the calibrator and the care taken by the calibrator (not to mention using properly and recently calibrated equipment). BB calibrations are typically cheaper than other calibration services but you get what you pay for. Personally, I'd never have BB calibrate my panel. I prefer to spend the extra money on a company or individual who does nothing but calibrations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page