Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 06-27-2018, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung Q8fn Vs Sony 900F

Samsung Q8fn Vs Sony 900F i know the Sammy is more im asking is it that much better then the 900F? or are they pretty close? Oled is out of picture maybe they Burn in maybe they dont but im not risking it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-28-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamelover5122 View Post
Samsung Q8fn Vs Sony 900F i know the Sammy is more im asking is it that much better then the 900F? or are they pretty close? Oled is out of picture maybe they Burn in maybe they dont but im not risking it
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...!threshold*0.1
post #3 of 35 Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

i saw what rtings.com says i was just curious anyone had 900f and went to q8fn or vice versa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

i see some reports saying the local dimming is to extreme on the samsung? is that true or have updates fixed that somewhat?
post #5 of 35 Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I thought the local dimming on the Samsung was not extreme. The Q8FN does not completely turn off zones that were far away from our test dot. The Q8FN has less visible blooming than the X900F, but the black levels are not as deep. If it doesn't get as black, blooming will be less noticeable but I think the Samsung panel has better native contrast though not as good on color. They are comparable sets and you simply need to choose what works best for you. 900f has the best motion. 8fn has the best reflection handling. Hard to beat the 8fn for gaming. Sony supports DV. Samsung backlight flicker at 480hz. Sony at 720hz. Sony is a bit cheaper and seems to be better sorted.
post #6 of 35 Old 06-29-2018, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

well after flipping a quarter 20 times i went with the Samsung, Best Buy brings it on mon from 8am to 12, because stores around me didnt have it in stock
post #7 of 35 Old 06-30-2018, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
well after flipping a quarter 20 times i went with the Samsung, Best Buy brings it on mon from 8am to 12, because stores around me didnt have it in stock
Please let us know your impressions when you get your new set.

I'm thinking of getting the 82" Q8FN when its released later this summer.
post #8 of 35 Old 08-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Please let us know how you like the QN... I'm n the same dilemma choosing between the Q8FN vs the 900F, both in the 75" size.

Please forgive the hijacking, but I didn't want to start another thread when mine is so closely related to the topic.

Here's my story:
I had an XBR75X850C from 2 years ago and it suddenly crapped out on me just after the 1-year warranty. The screen started flickering with vertical grey lines everywhere, then after a while, the picture disappeared except for green lines everywhere. Bought service in, etc. Long story short, it's dead and unrepairable so now I have to replace the set.

Background:
I have owned Pioneer Elite plasmas, and Panasonic Plasmas (last generation) and enjoy great quality TVs. I'm not very technical, but I appreciate great pictures as I'm a graphic designer.

Here's my dilemma:

QN75Q8FN
+ Quantum Dot technology has way more colors
+ Looks way brighter than the 900F from what I saw/demo at the store
+ Build quality looks more refined
+ Glass panel - better anti-reflection
+ UI/Operating System is quick & responsive and more "Apple-esque"
+ Feature packed (Ambient mode, etc)
- I've never owned a Samsung 4KTV so I'm unsure of it's reliability
- More expensive than the 900F ($1000 CAD more - includes extended warranty)
- Unnatural colors out of the box - but I'm assuming I can calibrate properly

Sony XBR75X900F
+ More natural color out of the box
+ Flagship processor on a mid-range package
+ Cheaper than the Q8FN
- I'm weary about getting another Sony because of my recent experience with the 850C
- Android interface is very laggy and frustrating
- lacking features, only what's available for download

Any input would be very much appreciated.
bodean likes this.
post #9 of 35 Old 08-11-2018, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dous View Post
Please let us know how you like the QN... I'm n the same dilemma choosing between the Q8FN vs the 900F, both in the 75" size.

Please forgive the hijacking, but I didn't want to start another thread when mine is so closely related to the topic.

Here's my story:
I had an XBR75X850C from 2 years ago and it suddenly crapped out on me just after the 1-year warranty. The screen started flickering with vertical grey lines everywhere, then after a while, the picture disappeared except for green lines everywhere. Bought service in, etc. Long story short, it's dead and unrepairable so now I have to replace the set.

Background:
I have owned Pioneer Elite plasmas, and Panasonic Plasmas (last generation) and enjoy great quality TVs. I'm not very technical, but I appreciate great pictures as I'm a graphic designer.

Here's my dilemma:

QN75Q8FN
+ Quantum Dot technology has way more colors
+ Looks way brighter than the 900F from what I saw/demo at the store
+ Build quality looks more refined
+ Glass panel - better anti-reflection
+ UI/Operating System is quick & responsive and more "Apple-esque"
+ Feature packed (Ambient mode, etc)
- I've never owned a Samsung 4KTV so I'm unsure of it's reliability
- More expensive than the 900F ($1000 CAD more - includes extended warranty)
- Unnatural colors out of the box - but I'm assuming I can calibrate properly

Sony XBR75X900F
+ Cheaper than the Q8FN
- I'm weary about getting another Sony because of my recent experience with the 850C

Bad luck on the Sony panel. I have had 2 Samsung’s die at 3 and 4 year respectively. Replaced the bedroom set with a 34” J5500 but the stand was flimsy and leans to one side. Samsung said since the panel was not faulty they wouldn’t replace despite the Samsung field tech coming to investigate and reporting back as a fault. In my country Samsung probably has the worst post sales support. Plus with very publicised failures of galaxy, washing machines and fridges I surprised they are still in business.

Everyone has a poor experience with some company. You can only really be guided by your gut experiences. Personally I can’t recommend Samsung.

From your list your leaning towards the Samsung so go with it. Probably should look at the motion as well the 900f is really good in that department. Best of luck with your choice.
post #10 of 35 Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked: 6213
Quote:

Sony XBR75X900F
+ Cheaper than the Q8FN

The 900F have Dobly Vision too
post #11 of 35 Old 08-12-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
I'm n the same dilemma choosing between the Q8FN vs the 900F, both in the 75" size.
Get the 900F unless:

1. You are a serious gamer who can use VRR or;
  2. You need the Q8FN's top of the mark IR filter for a severe reflection issue in the room.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-12-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I own the X900F 65", and the Q8FN 75", to be honest, you can't go wrong with either!
The Sony I mainly do my Xbox One on, and Directv Now on the ATV4K.
The Samsung is in my main living room, and ATV4K is the only thing I use on it.

Again, both are awesome. Reason I got the Q8FN is Bro-in-law works for Samsung, and I got the tv for about 40% off retail.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #13 of 35 Old 08-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson44 View Post
Please let us know your impressions when you get your new set.

I'm thinking of getting the 82" Q8FN when its released later this summer.
Can you provide a link that supports Samsung will bring to market a 82" Q8FN.

Sometimes companies do offer different models later in the year that was not mentioned at CES.
Still hopeful Samsung may offer 85/88 Q9FN this year that was once mentioned would be available, then retracted.
Suppose to bring the 85" Q9S out later this year, but most likely will be out of most peoples price range.

happyness ;>)
post #14 of 35 Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
^^^
You can actually special order it at several retailers like Crutchfield and ABT.

These are just my opinions.
post #15 of 35 Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
^^^
You can actually special order it at several retailers like Crutchfield and ABT.
And at B&H.
post #16 of 35 Old 08-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting that these retailers have this information when this model isn't listed on Samsungs site.

happyness ;>)
post #17 of 35 Old 08-13-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Interesting that these retailers have this information when this model isn't listed on Samsungs site.
They're "on the boat" from Korea. The retailers know they will be getting them, just not exactly when.
post #18 of 35 Old 08-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
They're "on the boat" from Korea. The retailers know they will be getting them, just not exactly when.
My point is, the company, in this case Samsung, should be the first to post it on their site. They can say, coming soon, or available soon.

Example, Sony has posted the upcoming A9F and Z9F, saying "Available soon"

happyness ;>)
post #19 of 35 Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Most likely made in Mexico
post #20 of 35 Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson44 View Post
Most likely made in Mexico
Yeah that's true. But the on the boat thing was a poor attempt at humor. Maybe they're waiting in Mexico for parts coming on the boat from Korea.
post #21 of 35 Old 09-18-2018, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think now that the two TVs are at the same price point, there will be a lot of people trying to make this decision (as am I). I spent an hour at BB the other day, and they had both sets side by side luckily.

The sales guy was cool and we went back and forth with content and light and dark scenes and other use cases.

For 4k content that was bright, and even 1080p movies like the Dark Knight, I found the clarity of the Q8 more to my taste. In the scene on the Dark Knight where the joker is in the kitchen and does the hide the pen trick, the Q8 seemed almost 3D like with the clarity compared to the 900F. The 900F seemed a little muddy or not a crisp. The colors seemed a little over done. I think that is what some people call it having a warm look.

Then on general TV content (we had ESPN up showing a news show and a lot of NFL replays), the 900F looked much better. That better contrast I saw on the Samsung now looked dull because the colors on the 900F were bright and really popped.

For me I think it will come down to figuring out what I will watch most on the TV. If I watched a lot of movies, I think I would opt for the clarity and contrast of the Q8. If I did a lot of gaming I would opt for the q8 as well. I watch mostly TV shows and streaming stuff off Netflix (TV shows more than movies) and some sports. So since it is the case, I will likely pick the Sony.

As many have said, they are so close, it comes down to personal preference and the type of content you will be viewing on the TV. Keep in mind, you won't have the TV's side by side in your house. Just make an informed decision, but it and never look back.
post #22 of 35 Old 09-18-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 12341 Post(s)
Liked: 11509
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer1370 View Post
I think now that the two TVs are at the same price point, there will be a lot of people trying to make this decision (as am I). I spent an hour at BB the other day, and they had both sets side by side luckily.

The sales guy was cool and we went back and forth with content and light and dark scenes and other use cases.

For 4k content that was bright, and even 1080p movies like the Dark Knight, I found the clarity of the Q8 more to my taste. In the scene on the Dark Knight where the joker is in the kitchen and does the hide the pen trick, the Q8 seemed almost 3D like with the clarity compared to the 900F. The 900F seemed a little muddy or not a crisp. The colors seemed a little over done. I think that is what some people call it having a warm look.

Then on general TV content (we had ESPN up showing a news show and a lot of NFL replays), the 900F looked much better. That better contrast I saw on the Samsung now looked dull because the colors on the 900F were bright and really popped.

For me I think it will come down to figuring out what I will watch most on the TV. If I watched a lot of movies, I think I would opt for the clarity and contrast of the Q8. If I did a lot of gaming I would opt for the q8 as well. I watch mostly TV shows and streaming stuff off Netflix (TV shows more than movies) and some sports. So since it is the case, I will likely pick the Sony.

As many have said, they are so close, it comes down to personal preference and the type of content you will be viewing on the TV. Keep in mind, you won't have the TV's side by side in your house. Just make an informed decision, but it and never look back.

Sounds like the Q8 was suffering from the undersaturation issue with SDR, which can be corrected with a calibration to pull those colors back to being saturated.

Last edited by ray0414; 09-18-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #23 of 35 Old 09-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer1370 View Post

Thanks for your thoughts. The Q8FN 82" are just starting to hit the stores, so I'll finally have the opportunity to compare the Q8FN 82" & 900F 85" side by side in a couple days. It's been a coin toss for me. Q8 will be better in my bright room, but the 900F has a brighter image. Color gamut is better on the Q8, but the 900F has better color gradients. Contrast is slightly better with the Q8, but the 900F has more dimming zones. SDE is better on the 900F... Anyway, it just goes on and on. I'd love to hear what tipped the scales for anyone in the same situation!
post #24 of 35 Old 09-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SAMQ*8vs Sony x900F

I have never owned a Samsung or Sony. I have 85' 4k Lecco with 448 Dim zones that looks pretty damn good. I am going to move that tv and replace my 80in Sharp. I so torn with going with the Sony since it is just as big as my other 85 but the fact that I can get the Samsung as Ultra premium certified and anti reflection and some of the other bene's make it a very tough decision. My room is bright most of the time and I don't game. I do like watching movies in the dark so I so torn. Q8 sammy is almost their top of the line. If it was 85 I would probably get it over the sony but 3 inches matters to me to some degree. I think I am going to wait and see which one is the best deal on black friday and then make a decision.
post #25 of 35 Old 09-27-2018, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So one last thing to remember is there is no Dolby Vision on the Q8. Samsung are going the HDR10+ route which has virtually nothing today.

With either TV brand but especially if you buy the Samsung get extended warranty.
post #26 of 35 Old 10-30-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You can't forget about the X1 Ultimate Processor inside the x900f. The chip can identify 16 objects onscreen per frame and remove noise, add detail, adjust color, and adjust brightness on EACH INDIVIDUAL OBJECT. Sony's object-based remastering is untouched by competitors because it pulls from two databases that real-world Sony 4k cameras fill during use. Check out more info on Sony's site.

Keep in mind, Sony TVs are pushing 960 fps. That's 4x the competitors! Sony has more natural color, better back-lighting, and supports all the latest technology (Google Home, Alexa, Dolby Vision, HDR10, Android TV)

It seems like an easy decision to me.
post #27 of 35 Old 10-30-2018, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Borgen View Post
You can't forget about the X1 Ultimate Processor inside the x900f. The chip can identify 16 objects onscreen per frame and remove noise, add detail, adjust color, and adjust brightness on EACH INDIVIDUAL OBJECT. Sony's object-based remastering is untouched by competitors because it pulls from two databases that real-world Sony 4k cameras fill during use. Check out more info on Sony's site.

Keep in mind, Sony TVs are pushing 960 fps. That's 4x the competitors! Sony has more natural color, better back-lighting, and supports all the latest technology (Google Home, Alexa, Dolby Vision, HDR10, Android TV)

It seems like an easy decision to me.
My apologies, the x900f has the X1 Extreme NOT the X1 Ultimate. The X1 Ultimate is two as fast and only in the z9f and a9f
post #28 of 35 Old 10-30-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Andy View Post
Q8 sammy is almost their top of the line.

There's quite a difference between the 40 zone Q8FN and the 480 zone Q9FN in terms of HDR performance.
post #29 of 35 Old 11-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am still struggling one what to get the Q8 or the 900F
75"
What ever TV I go with, I want to get the 7.1 soundbar
post #30 of 35 Old 11-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Andy View Post
I have never owned a Samsung or Sony. I have 85' 4k Lecco with 448 Dim zones that looks pretty damn good. I am going to move that tv and replace my 80in Sharp. I so torn with going with the Sony since it is just as big as my other 85 but the fact that I can get the Samsung as Ultra premium certified and anti reflection and some of the other bene's make it a very tough decision. My room is bright most of the time and I don't game. I do like watching movies in the dark so I so torn. Q8 sammy is almost their top of the line. If it was 85 I would probably get it over the sony but 3 inches matters to me to some degree. I think I am going to wait and see which one is the best deal on black friday and then make a decision.

I decided on the 82" Q8FN over the 85" Sony 900. FWIW, the extra 3" was not a deciding factor for me. Both displays are very nice, but after lengthy viewing comparisons, the Q8FN was the one for me. Perhaps I lucked out in the panel lotto, but I am not experiencing the DSE and other screen issues cited by other owners on the 82". To my eye, up scaled HD material consistently looked sharper, the contrast was slightly better, motion artifacts seemed less obtrusive, and HDR material (subjectively) looked better. Also, the superior color gamut of the Q8FN was significant, post calibration. Again, these are both very nice displays and I doubt anyone will be disappointed with either. Neither is perfect, so it's just a mater of deciding which "flaws" you'd rather live with.

As far as BF sales, be aware that the Q8FN is currently $500 less that the Sony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page