2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2147Likes

post #3091 of 5389 Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
I'm using a Sanus SLT3-B1 tilting wall mount for our PQ. The PQ manual recommends M6 14MM bolts to attach the TV to the mount. The Sanus mount comes with M6 12MM and 20MM bolts to attach the TV. I inserted the M6 20MM bolts with finger touch and encountered no resistance all the way in. I've used the same finger touch to attach the mounts including one washer. I haven't tightened the bolts yet but they seem OK. M6 12MM bolts seem a little short.

Anyone with experience wall mounting this set let me know if I'm about to "screw" up. I won't be finalizing anything until later tomorrow.
PlanetAVS likes this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.

Last edited by htwaits; 10-14-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 5389 Old 10-14-2018, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Denon AVR-X6200W finally updated to support Dolby Vision last week, and I was playing around with my setup today. I now put my Apple TV 4k into the Denon at the CD HDMI input (shortest trace) and output everything to the TV from there.

With my Apple TV set to SDR 4k/60 YCbCr 4:2:0 & match Range and Framerate on:
  1. The PQ does not pass through or output Atmos, from my Apple TV 4K. It will only output or pass through Dolby Digital. Atmos support requires a direct input into the receiver from the Apple TV 4K. Atmos was never an option in the audio settings on the Apple TV 4k out till I did this.
  2. The Apple TV 4K outputs Dolby Vision as 4k/24 RGB 4:4:4 8bit (as reported by the Denon) for all the DV content I could find. Anyone Know of any 60FPS DV content that I can find on the Apple TV 4k?
  3. Jack Ryan HDR10 outputs at 4k/24 BT.2020 YCbCr with "---" as the pixel depth so maybe 10 bit?
  4. All the UHD SDR content on Netflix and Amazon on the ATV 4K seems to be in 4k/24 YCbCr 4:4:4 8 bit (Match Range seems to switch to 4:4:4 even if you have SDR set to 4:2:0.)
  5. Direct TV Now outputs at YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit
  6. I tested the Amazon built-in app too - only Dolby Digital thru ARC on my receiver at least

Last edited by superenchilada; 10-14-2018 at 06:28 PM.
post #3093 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I used 20mm. You can add washers or spacers if you want to limit penetration.
PlanetAVS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBaumer View Post
Has there been any news at all about the PQ65-F1 coming to Canada?

I've searched the thread, and only saw information from the original announcement months ago, that Costco would be carrying it; alas, I see nothing.

I contacted Vizio "support", and asked them, "Is the PQ65 available in Canada?" and the response was "check your local retailers". I then asked "From a distribution perspective, can you verify if this is theoretically possible to buy in the country of Canada?" and I basically got the same response.

It really looks like a great alternative to the Samsung Q9FN, if I can actually convince the wife to go from the 55" to the 65" (it was a hard enough sell going from the 46" to the 55").

...My OLEDB6 has some nasty burn-in, and even though my heart wants the C8, I just can't justify permanently damaging another TV.

I sent an email to Costco.ca last week if and when they would be receiving the PQ65 and their response was ""...we cannot predict which items may be carried by Costco.ca in the future, our buying teams are constantly working with vendors to offer new product selections to our members."

My guess is that Visio doesn't have the supply/inventory to stock Costco.ca yet.
post #3095 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This might be a stupid question but is it possible for DSE to get worse as a TV settles in? Perhaps my eyes are getting over the wow factor of having a larger display and 4K. I started really seeing DSE on bright panning shots over this past weekend. Unfortunately once seen I can't seem to get past it. My eyes are going straight to those portions of the screen.

I'm well within my Costco return period so I'm going to reach out to them about having a replacement shipped. I want to give the PQ another chance before jumping ship to another model.

Denon X3300 | Front: Infinity Primus P363 (LR) and PC351 (CEN) | Sub: Polk PSW110
post #3096 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang37 View Post
This might be a stupid question but is it possible for DSE to get worse as a TV settles in? Perhaps my eyes are getting over the wow factor of having a larger display and 4K. I started really seeing DSE on bright panning shots over this past weekend. Unfortunately once seen I can't seem to get past it. My eyes are going straight to those portions of the screen.

I'm well within my Costco return period so I'm going to reach out to them about having a replacement shipped. I want to give the PQ another chance before jumping ship to another model.
If you plan on jumping ship over DSE, then you must know DSE is something any and all LED TVs have some level of. Severity is completely random, so it doesn't matter which brand you go with. Perfectly uniform panels are a myth.
SiGGy and leojj25 like this.
post #3097 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
If you plan on jumping ship over DSE, then you must know DSE is something any and all LED TVs have some level of. Severity is completely random, so it doesn't matter which brand you go with. Perfectly uniform panels are a myth.

Agreed, I'm just worried that my panel is abnormal. I'm not looking for perfection with these panels, just something that doesn't jump out as much during bright panning. I guess its like rolling the dice, maybe I'd end up with a worse one...

Denon X3300 | Front: Infinity Primus P363 (LR) and PC351 (CEN) | Sub: Polk PSW110
post #3098 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang37 View Post
Agreed, I'm just worried that my panel is abnormal. I'm not looking for perfection with these panels, just something that doesn't jump out as much during bright panning. I guess its like rolling the dice, maybe I'd end up with a worse one...
I highly recommend you check out other TVs first like at a local best buy or something. I don't know if the store manager will let you put a thumb drive with test material into the TVs, but it may help you see. I did this 2 years ago and every single TV I could see the vertical banding. It may help give you perspective seeing it on every brand. I recommend test material with light colors like snow, ice, and clouds.

Last edited by skschatzman; 10-15-2018 at 11:19 AM.
post #3099 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
i highly recommend you check out other tvs first like at a local best buy or something. I don't know if the store manager will let you put a thumb drive with test material into the tvs, bit it may help you see. I did this 2 years ago and every single tv i could see the vertical banding. It may help give you perspective seeing it on every brand. I recommend test material with light colors like snow, ice, and clouds.
nhl?

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #3100 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfuegobuddha View Post
Thanks for your reply. I inserted one 20mm screw all the way into each mounting hole using my fingers and felt no resistance. Then I added one washer and the mounting frame and did the same thing without feeling the screws reach any obstruction.

If your set is mounted with 20mm screws and no washers it sounds like it's safe to tighten mine since I haven't felt them bottom out. The screws that came with the set look like they are 14mm but I don't know how strong they are.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #3101 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb88 View Post
Thank you for responding. My current TiVos are Premier XLs that output in 1080i. How is the PQ upscaling for this format?
1080i from my FIOS box looks great no issues with upscaling. Some black crush (upping black detail helped) and posterization/color banding on some SDR content (was really bad on recent 'Manifest' NBC).

Derek
post #3102 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm kind of torn between the PQ65 and P65/P75. Have an older 70" Sharp, sit about 10' away in a pitch black media room.

Looking for deep blacks, some reviews say the PQ65 is almost too bright for a dark room, and makes the blacks appear lighter, is this true?

Would going 75 be to large for my space? Was hoping someone could recommend one of these 3 sets based on my setup....thanks!
post #3103 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldglv View Post
I'm kind of torn between the PQ65 and P65/P75. Have an older 70" Sharp, sit about 10' away in a pitch black media room.

Looking for deep blacks, some reviews say the PQ65 is almost too bright for a dark room, and makes the blacks appear lighter, is this true?

Would going 75 be to large for my space? Was hoping someone could recommend one of these 3 sets based on my setup....thanks!
I've never seen any complaints of raised black levels for the PQ65, can you provide a link to a professional review? Rtngs tested the PQ to have the highest contrast level (with local dimming), next to the Samsung Q9FN and the OLEDs. Having owned both a PQ and a LG OLED, I can vouch for the deep blacks of the PQ.

75 inches would be fine at 10 feet. You'll have to make an individual decision on size vs quality. Given that you are already used to a 70" screen, that might tip the scales in favor of the P75.
post #3104 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I inserted one 20mm screw all the way into each mounting hole using my fingers and felt no resistance. Then I added one washer and the mounting frame and did the same thing without feeling the screws reach any obstruction.

If your set is mounted with 20mm screws and no washers it sounds like it's safe to tighten mine since I haven't felt them bottom out. The screws that came with the set look like they are 14mm but I don't know how strong they are.
FYI I used washers and the mount metal that abuts the tv is relatively thick as well. My mount is echogear; I really like their stuff.
post #3105 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Is the picture of the PQ65 that much better than the P75?
post #3106 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Is the picture of the PQ65 that much better than the P75?
Yes. Brightness, black levels and color are much better on the PQ. Motion is about the same
leojj25 likes this.
post #3107 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I'm very happy with the PQ65. Technically, my room setup would be more suited to a 75" but I find their size almost comical when mounted to a wall.

You can adjust local dimming and backlight to suit your room's lighting. Trust me, the brightness of the PQ65 is a good thing. Just turn down backlight appropriately on SDR. HDR content on mine is darker so I use a higher backlight setting. I also added bias lighting. If you are dropping big bucks on a TV in a dark room, I'd say it's a no-brainer to add bias lighting. The one I purchased is the medialight quad.

My SDR/HDR settings:
SDR - - backlight 9
HDR - - backlight 50
I have local dimming (extreme black engine pro) set to medium for both.

I have a P50 and the local dimming is better on the PQ65.

The P50 even has more zones per area but it annoys me so I have local dimming on that set off for now. The PQ lets you set dimming to low, medium, or high. My P55 is just on/off.

Last edited by enfuegobuddha; 10-16-2018 at 05:58 PM.
post #3108 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I'm very happy with the PQ65. Technically, my room setup would be more suited to a 75" but I find their size almost comical when mounted to a wall.

You can adjust local dimming and backlight to suit your room's lighting. Trust me, the brightness of the PQ65 is a good thing. Just turn down backlight appropriately on SDR. HDR content on mine is darker so I use a higher backlight setting. I also added bias lighting. If you are dropping big bucks on a TV in a dark room, I'd say it's a no-brainer to add bias lighting. The one I purchased is the medialight quad.

My SDR/HDR settings:
SDR - - backlight 9
HDR - - backlight 50
I have local dimming (extreme black engine pro) set to medium for both.
Just trying to decide now if I can go from 70 to 65...although the picture will be much better, coming from a Sharp LE650

Is the picture of the P75 nice as well? Just not up to par with the PQ?
post #3109 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
FYI I used washers and the mount metal that abuts the tv is relatively thick as well. My mount is echogear; I really like their stuff.
Thanks for your help. Since my set let me insert the 20mm screws without encountering anything, but Vizio recommends the 14mm screws, I'm assuming that what's behind the screw holes may vary with production runs.

Enjoy.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #3110 of 5389 Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 PM

Yeah I don't know. They list the hole depth as 14mm. I would just gently stick something narrow in the hole then compare it vs the screw I was using. I factored in the depth of the washers and mount... which for me was at least 4mm. But my set also came with both thin and deep plastic spacers to use if necessary.

Last edited by enfuegobuddha; 10-16-2018 at 12:14 AM.
post #3111 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croikee26 View Post
So, just got a PQ yesterday. Set up, everything was fine. This morning noticed that when watching content, on multiple inputs, I have horizontal flickering lines. Never in the same spot, always very quick, and only when content is moving. This happens on HDMI ports 1-3 (the only ones I'm using) and all three are different HDMI cables. Again, did not notice this at all yesterday. Thoughts?
Have you happened to notice the horizontal lines returning? I just received a P-series F1 and twice now have noticed the quick flickering horizontal lines while watching Dolby Vision content from 4K UHD or Netflix. Was considering moving to the PQ65. Thanks.

Quote:
Try a hard reset of the TV. If that doesn't work then try a factory reset.
What is a hard reset, just a normal power cycle? I did do a factory reset after receiving newest firmware. Last night while watching Iron Fist in Dolby Vision on Netflix these horizontal lines showed up again, every few minutes at random, all over different parts of the screen. Just power cycled my P series F1 and they went away but this is the second time they showed up. My PF1 is still in return period and was thinking of getting the PQ65. The horizontal lines must be a Vizio thing right? Thanks
post #3112 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
Have you happened to notice the horizontal lines returning? I just received a P-series F1 and twice now have noticed the quick flickering horizontal lines while watching Dolby Vision content from 4K UHD or Netflix. Was considering moving to the PQ65. Thanks.

What is a hard reset, just a normal power cycle? I did do a factory reset after receiving newest firmware. Last night while watching Iron Fist in Dolby Vision on Netflix these horizontal lines showed up again, every few minutes at random, all over different parts of the screen. Just power cycled my P series F1 and they went away but this is the second time they showed up. My PF1 is still in return period and was thinking of getting the PQ65. The horizontal lines must be a Vizio thing right? Thanks
Hard reset is unplugging the power cord and draining all power from the TV by pressing the power button for 15 seconds.
post #3113 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Just trying to decide now if I can go from 70 to 65...although the picture will be much better, coming from a Sharp LE650

Is the picture of the P75 nice as well? Just not up to par with the PQ?
I have a P75 and like you, also watch in a black room. After 1-1/2 years with this display, I'm still quite pleased with the picture. Deep blacks and great color saturation. I have only seen the PQ at Costco which of course is not a fair comparison. What I saw was beautiful for sure. Hopefully they will release a 75" version sometime soon.

I would have serious reservations of going with a smaller display after being accustomed to the larger one but YMMV.
post #3114 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
I have a P75 and like you, also watch in a black room. After 1-1/2 years with this display, I'm still quite pleased with the picture. Deep blacks and great color saturation. I have only seen the PQ at Costco which of course is not a fair comparison. What I saw was beautiful for sure. Hopefully they will release a 75" version sometime soon.

I would have serious reservations of going with a smaller display after being accustomed to the larger one but YMMV.
Way I hear it, displays are like t-shirts, they shrink with time. I expect my PQ to be about 40 inches in three years. Then it will be time for the 85 inch triple PQ display with built in display lighting.

Seriously - if the OP conflicted about the size, I'd wait until the 75 inch is available. The PQ is a great display for me now though - I can't fit a 75 inch and keep my marriage together, so I'll have to settle for this great display.
aaronwt likes this.
post #3115 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Way I hear it, displays are like t-shirts, they shrink with time. I expect my PQ to be about 40 inches in three years. Then it will be time for the 85 inch triple PQ display with built in display lighting.
Hahahaha! That's kinda funny. Yes, t-shirts do shrink but unfortunately, in most cases the individual wearing that shrunken shirt has actually expanded a bit making the smaller shirt a bad fit.
hernanu and leojj25 like this.
post #3116 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Hard reset is unplugging the power cord and draining all power from the TV by pressing the power button for 15 seconds.
Thank you!
post #3117 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Okay, after over a month of pretty much flawless operation I had my first verifiable glitch:

I received my copy of Ant Man and the Wasp yesterday and excitedly threw it in my XBox One S to play and check it out on the PQ.

I carefully checked the settings on the XBox to ensure it was sending 4k (I have to switch it off when I use my projector that is NOT 4k) and discovered that the XBox was set to output 780p and would only let me raise it to 1080p. When I checked for 4k settings it informed me that I did not have it connected to a 4k TV...

So, as I have everything going through a receiver (Denon 4300) I tried to check settings everywhere I could think to check. I also noticed that I couldn't get Atmos sound, only stereo? Never a problem previously...

In exasperation I did a soft reset on the PQ and suddenly I could select 4k! However, still no HDR or Atmos sound... (I can't for the life of me figure out why the sound was affected?)

So, a hard reset was performed and everything returned to working order - 4k, HDR, and Atmos engaged. A frustrating evening, but glad it was resolved with no further sleuthing required.
post #3118 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
White bleeding when playing xbox 1? Anyone else getting that? what settings can I do to turn that down. All my whites kind of show up bright
post #3119 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just ordered a PQ65 from Costco. Was wondering if there are any specific tests I should run on the set after it's delivered? I've never owned an LCD panel before (plasma and OLED), so not terribly familiar with the types of issues I should look for out of the box (other than the obvious damage).

I'm planning on starting with the Rtings settings unless there are better recommendations.

Also, I'm planning on wall mounting. Since the top holes look much higher than those on my LG C7, can anyone tell me the distance between the bottom edge of the set and the top set of mounting holes? I'd like to have the wall bracket installed before it arrives.

Thanks!
post #3120 of 5389 Old 10-16-2018, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone could please confirm IF the netflix app has Dolby Atmos? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
audio issues , mute speaker , pq65-f1 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page