2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2201Likes

post #3271 of 5747 Old 10-27-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy949 View Post
Exactly what I see in various games and movies. Was playing AC: Origins this morning and had the same effect in the skies and fog. The question is: do we have defective units or is this normal for this set? I need to take mine down from the wall with some help to get it back to Costco. Will probably try to exchange it based on the fact others are saying theirs don’t exhibit this issue. I wish someone would post proof though. Hopefully they have some stock at Costco. If not I guess it’s going back until I find another TV that I like.
here's a shot of the Daredevil intro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_181109.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	758.9 KB
ID:	2474692  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 5747 Old 10-27-2018, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy949 View Post
Exactly what I see in various games and movies. Was playing AC: Origins this morning and had the same effect in the skies and fog. The question is: do we have defective units or is this normal for this set? I need to take mine down from the wall with some help to get it back to Costco. Will probably try to exchange it based on the fact others are saying theirs don’t exhibit this issue. I wish someone would post proof though. Hopefully they have some stock at Costco. If not I guess it’s going back until I find another TV that I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmoox View Post
I would like to know this too. If not all sets are exhibiting this then I would rather exchange then return. Everything else is great about this TV. I mean the native menus are showing the issue. This photo is from the internal menu from the TV itself when selecting the various inputs. This noticable stepping between gradients is super distracting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Same here, would love to get a unit without this issue. Everything else is perfect about this TV.
post #3273 of 5747 Old 10-27-2018, 09:06 PM

This is just to show difference I see when watching on PQ65 compared to TCL P607.

Both images are stills from TCL:

Taken from iPad 5th gen with camera HDR on: https://imgur.com/twGoiKJ.png
Taken from Nexus 6p with camera HDR on: https://imgur.com/5GOSlew.png

iPad's capture is closer to what my eyes see though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
here's a shot of the Daredevil intro.
In your screenshot, banding can be seen in the darker area under the lamp reflection on the left.
coolguy949 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3274 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post
This is just to show difference I see when watching on PQ65 compared to TCL P607.

Both images are stills from TCL:

Taken from iPad 5th gen with camera HDR on: https://imgur.com/twGoiKJ.png
Taken from Nexus 6p with camera HDR on: https://imgur.com/5GOSlew.png

iPad's capture is closer to what my eyes see though.

In your screenshot, banding can be seen in the darker area under the lamp reflection on the left.
Someone asked for a screen shot. Obviously not perfect since my lamps are showing and it's a cell phone photo of an HDR display at 3 ft distance. I don't see any of it during real life viewing. If all that is there is one difficult to see effect in a tiny area of the screen, I'm good.

What was previously posted was pronounced and across the whole display, which I would find unacceptable.
post #3275 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Someone asked for a screen shot. Obviously not perfect since my lamps are showing and it's a cell phone photo of an HDR display at 3 ft distance. I don't see any of it during real life viewing. If all that is there is one difficult to see effect in a tiny area of the screen, I'm good.

What was previously posted was pronounced and across the whole display, which I would find unacceptable.
The screenshot you posted only shows roughly 40% of the screen, missing critical portions where posterization is prominent.

If you could please post full screen's capture, that would be great.
post #3276 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those with this TV -- do you by chance have a quick measurement of the TV feet? basically, I want to get the max distance from the outside of each foot from left to right. My current TV stand is not wide enough and will not be doing a wallmount. I haven't found this particular TV on physical display at any of my costcos yet, so I haven't been able to get a measurement.

thank you!
post #3277 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Deleted.

Last edited by skschatzman; 10-28-2018 at 08:08 AM.
post #3278 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkongzoom View Post
For those with this TV -- do you by chance have a quick measurement of the TV feet? basically, I want to get the max distance from the outside of each foot from left to right. My current TV stand is not wide enough and will not be doing a wallmount. I haven't found this particular TV on physical display at any of my costcos yet, so I haven't been able to get a measurement.

thank you!
50.87 inches. It's also listed in the online specs on Vizio's site.
https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US
post #3279 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Speaking of Red Dead Redemption 2, what in-game HDR value are you using for it?
post #3280 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Just got a PS4 Pro. How do I set it to 2160P with HDR? I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and it's only at 1080p HDR even after changing the output setting to 2160p.
post #3281 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsertedsun View Post
Just got a PS4 Pro. How do I set it to 2160P with HDR? I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and it's only at 1080p HDR even after changing the output setting to 2160p.

Do you have it on ports 1-4? Also make sure on the port it is connected to that “full uhd color” is on in the input setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dsertedsun likes this.

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #3282 of 5747 Old 10-28-2018, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
Do you have it on ports 1-4? Also make sure on the port it is connected to that “full uhd color” is on in the input setting

Thanks so much. I forgot about turning on full uhd color. At 2160p with HDR. Thanks again!
leojj25 likes this.
post #3283 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello, been awhile since posting on AVS! My LG OLEDs have been serving me well but now it's time to get the kids a TV they can leave on for a few hours and not worry about burn-in. Looking at these posts makes me a little nervous if I were to ever use this TV for gaming, but everything else is pretty solid on the Quantum? I hope the banding issue gets fixed for everyone. What I plan to use this TV for almost solely, is for watching the Red wings play (lose) hockey games and having pictures rotate, and having kids shows play. Good choice?

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #3284 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivez View Post
Hello, been awhile since posting on AVS! My LG OLEDs have been serving me well but now it's time to get the kids a TV they can leave on for a few hours and not worry about burn-in. Looking at these posts makes me a little nervous if I were to ever use this TV for gaming, but everything else is pretty solid on the Quantum? I hope the banding issue gets fixed for everyone. What I plan to use this TV for almost solely, is for watching the Red wings play (lose) hockey games and having pictures rotate, and having kids shows play. Good choice?

Great choice on specs alone even with its shortcomings it’s a lot of tv for the $$

PS4 PRO
post #3285 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Depends on your source for hockey. I love my PQ for 4K/HDR content but the poor upscaling was really underlined watching the World Series on OTA on Fox (720P).
post #3286 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Depends on your source for hockey. I love my PQ for 4K/HDR content but the poor upscaling was really underlined watching the World Series on OTA on Fox (720P).

I thought it looked good on my 17 p series though i use an apple tv 4k & directtv now

PS4 PRO
post #3287 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Anecdotal experience:

I know a lot of people have chimed in with sub UHD/4k source concerns, but a few days ago my partner dug up a box of their OLD dvds during some cleaning we were doing, and found a movie they wanted to watch. Much to my insistence that we at least buy a bluray/stream HD, we watched it - and it was totally fine. Didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, nor did I see any 'deal breakers'.

Also, the movie if you're curious was 'Best in Show', which is still great
post #3288 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
I thought it looked good on my 17 p series though i use an apple tv 4k & directtv now

Exactly. If you're watching from a higher quality source such as DTV Now and/or has good upscaling such as your Apple TV 4K, the Vizio PQ upscaling doesn't factor in. However OTA and BluRay will definitely be limited by the Vizio's upscaling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamoleparty View Post
Anecdotal experience:

I know a lot of people have chimed in with sub UHD/4k source concerns, but a few days ago my partner dug up a box of their OLD dvds during some cleaning we were doing, and found a movie they wanted to watch. Much to my insistence that we at least buy a bluray/stream HD, we watched it - and it was totally fine. Didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, nor did I see any 'deal breakers'.

Also, the movie if you're curious was 'Best in Show', which is still great
Upscaling is subjective but the general consensus is that Vizio doesn't upscale well. Doesn't mean it's unwatchable, its just that other TVs can do better. The Fox OTA World Series feed looked better on my 55 inch TCL P605 than it did on my 65 inch Vizio P Quantum
leojj25 likes this.
post #3289 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 10:48 AM

So, I went to best buy to see if I could see the Quantum on display, but of course, there was none. And I think that's on purpose, they only had the P series available for display. Question, for you owners, is the off angle viewing really that bad? Rtings.com seems to say EVERY single tv has bad angle viewing unless it's an OLED. I saw the P series and even the Sammy's QLEDs and off angle viewing wasn't terrible. How is this TV with off angle viewing?

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #3290 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hello fellow avsforum members,

I am new to the forums and I have been reading and researching this tv for the past few weeks. I currently have a 2015 P702ui-B1 70” Vizio 4K tv. I would like to do an upgrade and I have been eyeing this quantum set. My question is, will this set be a considerable upgrade even though I am downgrading the size to 65”? I have heard nothing but great things about this set. Anyone downgraded from70” to 65”? My distance to the TV will be 10 FT.

Thanks for the response

I will be
post #3291 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I went to best buy to see if I could see the Quantum on display, but of course, there was none. And I think that's on purpose, they only had the P series available for display. Question, for you owners, is the off angle viewing really that bad? Rtings.com seems to say EVERY single tv has bad angle viewing unless it's an OLED. I saw the P series and even the Sammy's QLEDs and off angle viewing wasn't terrible. How is this TV with off angle viewing?
I'd say it's not great. At 60-80 degrees on either side, it's fine and there's no loss (in my opinion), but anything more than that and it gets more faded.

My kitchen is about 120 degrees in orientation from the display, I can see everything that is happening from there, but it is noticeably faded from looking at it within the cone of goodness.

Now, within that cone of goodness (CoG, trademarked ), it's a great display, and I have no intention of watching the display at a high angle, but if that's your game, then you don't want this display. I usually watch it from my living room and my dining room table, which is more than good enough, and it's absolutely not faded.
post #3292 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

If the off-axis viewing of other LCDs is OK for you, then the PQ should be too. It’s maybe marginally better than my old 2014 M series. Colors are alright but contrast and saturation fall off a cliff eventually. About as good as LCD can probably get, which is nowhere near OLED for off axis.

post #3293 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I wouldn’t worry about gaming. On the contrary, this set has pretty response time and of course no risk of burn-in. I’ve been logging many hours of Horizon in HDR and have seen no issues at all, and I’ve certainly been looking. Some have had isolated issues, but it’s not something inherent to the set because many of the rest of us are fine.

post #3294 of 5747 Old 10-29-2018, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone mind commenting on the appropriate color depth and color format I should set when outputting from a Fire TV.

Currently changed it to "up to 10 bits" and "YCbCr" but I'm not sure if this is correct.
post #3295 of 5747 Old 10-30-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalibur View Post
I wouldn’t worry about gaming. On the contrary, this set has pretty response time and of course no risk of burn-in. I’ve been logging many hours of Horizon in HDR and have seen no issues at all, and I’ve certainly been looking. Some have had isolated issues, but it’s not something inherent to the set because many of the rest of us are fine.

Awesome, thanks. I'm going to get it at Costco and if there's an issue i Can return it. Hopefully there are no issues. I'm going to own this TV. Sweet.

LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
post #3296 of 5747 Old 10-30-2018, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
@Noydcom when accessing tv control through SmartCast app tv freezes and remains unresponsive despite multiple cues to power off. Still image remains on screen while audio from AVR and other downstream components continues playing and is responsive to play/pause commands via component remotes. Happened with both oppo 203 and ATV 4K.
post #3297 of 5747 Old 10-30-2018, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
An update on my PQ. So I got my third from Costco last week. Let me first say their customer service is great. I have returned the first two using the chat feature on the site. They sent one of those junk haul away trucks to take the TVs which kind of baffled me at first. Was disconcerting to see my TV thrown into the back of the truck without any kind concern for its stability. I'm sure a non TV snob would never even known about the banding and DSE issues my TV had and would have been just fine with it. But oh well. Third time was a charm and got a good one this time. Been using rtings settings. I have a very bright room so that's the main reason I went with the TV. I'm kind of curious what other people's settings are for the middle of the day? Unfortunately the TV faces the window so it gets direct sunlight. I have been using rtings settings most the time. Is it better if I adjust backlight, gamma, black levels? Also anther issue I have been having is the TV has been randomly turning off when connected to the Apple TV 4K. I'm sure there is something I could turn off for this to stop. Thanks for your help.
leojj25 likes this.
post #3298 of 5747 Old 10-30-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar_balla21 View Post
An update on my PQ. So I got my third from Costco last week. Let me first say their customer service is great. I have returned the first two using the chat feature on the site. They sent one of those junk haul away trucks to take the TVs which kind of baffled me at first. Was disconcerting to see my TV thrown into the back of the truck without any kind concern for its stability. I'm sure a non TV snob would never even known about the banding and DSE issues my TV had and would have been just fine with it. But oh well. Third time was a charm and got a good one this time. Been using rtings settings. I have a very bright room so that's the main reason I went with the TV. I'm kind of curious what other people's settings are for the middle of the day? Unfortunately the TV faces the window so it gets direct sunlight. I have been using rtings settings most the time. Is it better if I adjust backlight, gamma, black levels? Also anther issue I have been having is the TV has been randomly turning off when connected to the Apple TV 4K. I'm sure there is something I could turn off for this to stop. Thanks for your help.
Make sure to update the firmware and following this, do a factory reset.

For a bright room, use Rtngs Calibrated settings but leave backlight at the default of 50 and adjust upwards to your room lighting to your preference.

Regarding the random power off, turn off quick start if you have it enabled.
post #3299 of 5747 Old 10-30-2018, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Congrats on finally getting a good TV. So you're saying the new one does not have the banding issues? Do you mean gradient banding or vertical banding?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
leojj25 likes this.
post #3300 of 5747 Old 10-30-2018, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks for posting this! Gives me hope that my replacement from Costco will be a great set. My first was plagued by terrible DSE. Agreed on Costco's chat support and return policy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
audio issues , mute speaker , pq65-f1 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page