2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2201Likes

post #3931 of 5747 Old 11-30-2018, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I had an OLED C7 and I currently own the PQuantum. Both are great TVs. The OLED is much superior for upscaling, viewing angle and the LG WEB OS is fast and smooth. The Quantum is far superior for HDR brightness and color. The Quantum doesn't get enough credit IMO for the quality of the black levels, it rivals but doesn't quite match OLED. In your case, the heavy gaming and use as a monitor would make me wary of switching to an OLED though

If you have the budget, take a look at the Sony 900F or a Samsung Q8FN. If budget is a concern, consider the TCL R615 while it's still on sale.

Not just brightness but color too huh? Thanks. It seems something is very wrong with mine then. My black bars on movies have extreme flash lighting. I was looking forward to this tv since it was announced. 900f is a strong alternative too consider I suppose. Samsungs lack Dolby vision which although I know no tv’s are 12 bit or reach 10000 nits, is one of the features that I just want to have I guess. Persuasive Internet articles may have had a lot do with why I am so reluctant to give up Dolby vision. Thank you for your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 5747 Old 11-30-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Never give up Dolby Vision.

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1E / Sony 50W700B
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Sony NT5 / Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
post #3933 of 5747 Old 11-30-2018, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 88
2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch123 View Post
So does anyone have personal subjective opinion from owning both a an OLED and the Vizio quantum on a comparison of picture quality. Since Vizio has now offered me a refund I don’t know whether to take it and buy a used OLED or maybe ask them to let me wait and see if they get some Vizio quantum’s back in stock so they can replace it. Mostly use the TV for gaming when it comes to entertainment some movies. Also used as a monitor for productivity.

This is a bold statement but as an owner of both I’d have to say the extra luminance and pop on the Vizio PQ makes for a better picture. And blacks are almost identical. Here is a photo. Not the greatest settings on my Vizio (along with camera exposure) but you can clearly see that black levels are the pretty much the same.
PQ on the left and B7 on the right.

Last edited by kensingtonwick; 11-30-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3934 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had my PQ for over two months and I'm very happy with the overall picture. Even the SD isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have, however, noticed significant banding and gradient issues while watching "Better Call Saul" through the Amazon Prime app on my Sony BD. The picture is atrocious during night/dark scenes and I wonder if it is just a problem with the source material. I have my set at Calibrated Dark with the Backlight at 50. If I lower the Backlight to 0, the issues aren't as noticeable (but are still there) but then the picture is too dark. Anyone else watch this series and notice the same thing? Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
post #3935 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydio View Post
I've had my PQ for over two months and I'm very happy with the overall picture. Even the SD isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have, however, noticed significant banding and gradient issues while watching "Better Call Saul" through the Amazon Prime app on my Sony BD. The picture is atrocious during night/dark scenes and I wonder if it is just a problem with the source material. I have my set at Calibrated Dark with the Backlight at 50. If I lower the Backlight to 0, the issues aren't as noticeable (but are still there) but then the picture is too dark. Anyone else watch this series and notice the same thing? Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I've noticed that some shows have the banding issue on the PQ65 and some don't. For those specific shows, it seemed to help marginally to stream on the native Vizio apps (at least for HDR10/DV content).

FWIW, those same shows do not show banding on my other HDR Vizio P50-C1.
post #3936 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfuegobuddha View Post
Here's some HDR shots from Final Table on Netflix. No noticeable banding.

Streamed in HDR10 via Roku Ultra

Looks beautiful! Chefs table has some nice color contrast with its black backgrounds[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Yeah I figure that they do that on purpose to show off the HDR. The stainless steel cookware looks like real metal. It's crazy.
kensingtonwick likes this.
post #3937 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My set arrived yesterday. How do you feel about this banding? I noticed it while playing Destiny 2 on Xbox one C (hdr/uhd enabled playing from input 2).

I just pulled up the YouTube app (via Xbox) and looked up “gray screen”.

I have a second P-55 that has the white lines that jump up on the screen. I really gave them more than a fair chance but I think I may switch to a different brand entirely.

Would you contact vizio or Costco? Or deal with it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A847D8B9-BE39-474D-87F1-4D4849CE37E1_1543677302275.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2489668   Click image for larger version

Name:	593DA981-F592-4C46-8B83-2134DDE7B644_1543677311891.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2489670   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D0D2F6D-4B72-4E36-AB13-FA5FD5C0085D_1543677323780.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2489672  

Last edited by iksnoved25; 12-01-2018 at 07:17 AM.
post #3938 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksnoved25 View Post
I have a second P-55 that has the white lines that jump up on the screen. I really gave them more than a fair chance but I think I may switch to a different brand entirely.
Brand has nothing to do with it. Luck of the draw. There isn't a single manufacturer that can prevent DSE issues.

If you switch to a different brand you may get lucky with a low DSE panel, but your chances are just as good going with another Vizio. DSE severity is completely random no matter what brand you choose.
post #3939 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
My set arrived yesterday. How do you feel about this banding? I noticed it while playing Destiny 2 on Xbox one C (hdr/uhd enabled playing from input 2).

Looks a lot like mine, TBH. I've fussed and obsessed over TVs and monitors in the past, but eventually decided I've wasted too much of my life on that. If you read and browse around, I think you'll find that all TVs (even OLEDs) have panel uniformity issues. Certainly some are better than others, but I think you have to get extremely lucky. So my advice would be to skip the gray-screen tests, watch a few hours of regular content, and see how often the DSE "jumps" out at you.

Personally, I decided that if I only notice my panel's DSE every now and then while watching regular content, then that's good enough. The PQ's picture is amazing enough that I'm pretty happy with it, even if I notice DSE every now and then.
post #3940 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Quote:
Brand has nothing to do with it. Luck of the draw. There isn't a single manufacturer that can prevent DSE issues.

If you switch to a different brand you may get lucky with a low DSE panel, but your chances are just as good going with another Vizio. DSE severity is completely random no matter what brand you choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by distractedchemist View Post
Quote:

Looks a lot like mine, TBH. I've fussed and obsessed over TVs and monitors in the past, but eventually decided I've wasted too much of my life on that. If you read and browse around, I think you'll find that all TVs (even OLEDs) have panel uniformity issues. Certainly some are better than others, but I think you have to get extremely lucky. So my advice would be to skip the gray-screen tests, watch a few hours of regular content, and see how often the DSE "jumps" out at you.

Personally, I decided that if I only notice my panel's DSE every now and then while watching regular content, then that's good enough. The PQ's picture is amazing enough that I'm pretty happy with it, even if I notice DSE every now and then.
Thank you both for the quick reply. I’ll have to put in some Netflix and standard cable to see if I notice it. When gaming I do, but I’ll check those out as well
post #3941 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHWD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Young View Post
Is there a trick to getting Amazon Prime to work with 4K on this TV? I'm only able to get it as high as 1080p. For instance, I've tried Jack Ryan, which I know is supposed to stream at 2160p.

I'm having no problem with Netflix.
Amazon does this weird thing where they separate the UHD and 1080p versions of shows into two different listings. Is it possible that that's what you're dealing with? I've had no problem with Amazon playing in 4k.
Maybe that's the case, but I thought some of my shows just gained HDR on Amazon all of a sudden.

Are you streaming on Vizio native app?
post #3942 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 09:45 AM
gd7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hello,

Just got my new PQ65 TV installed. I'm completely new to 4k tv's and have never heard of DSE prior to reading his thread. The TV looks amazing when colors are on screen but I've noticed some vertical lines when lighter colors are on screen. (but maybe I'm being picky after reading this entire thread)

I went to the hockey video on youtube that was posted here and a couple of other DSE tests and definitely see some vertical cloudy looking streaks on the screen when against grays and whites.

The problem I have now is I don't know whether what I have is normal or bad as I have nothing to compare it to and no experience with DSE. Is a certain amount of non uniformity normal? How much of it would you tolerate before returning?

Thanks in advance!
post #3943 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Young View Post
Is there a trick to getting Amazon Prime to work with 4K on this TV? I'm only able to get it as high as 1080p. For instance, I've tried Jack Ryan, which I know is supposed to stream at 2160p.

I'm having no problem with Netflix.
You might also just be experiencing a delay in the stream ramping up to 4K. The Amazon app will often start off playing content at a lower resolution (as low as 480P) and then gradually hitting full 4K resolution. I've seen this with the Amazon app on various devices. It can take as long as a minute or two to get to full resolution.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 12-01-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #3944 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd7 View Post
Hello,

Just got my new PQ65 TV installed. I'm completely new to 4k tv's and have never heard of DSE prior to reading his thread. The TV looks amazing when colors are on screen but I've noticed some vertical lines when lighter colors are on screen. (but maybe I'm being picky after reading this entire thread)

I went to the hockey video on youtube that was posted here and a couple of other DSE tests and definitely see some vertical cloudy looking streaks on the screen when against grays and whites.

The problem I have now is I don't know whether what I have is normal or bad as I have nothing to compare it to and no experience with DSE. Is a certain amount of non uniformity normal? How much of it would you tolerate before returning?

Thanks in advance!
I watched The Hunt polar bear episode in 4k on Netflix to help me judge DSE. It's more noticeable when the camera pans. I wouldn't bother to send a TV back unless it was excessively distracting. Nature videos are a good test because they often have sky scenes where the camera pans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181003_072447_1543689762842.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2489744   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181004_064426_1543689953246.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2489746  
post #3945 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm jumping in with what I believe to be a new issue - at least my searches have not shown the issue - which is how to use my media server with this set. I am connected with a home network, all wired, and can't figure how to access my media server (a Western Digital My Cloud) on this set. I know I can do it via the connected Roku Ultra, or the home theater PC, but on all my other sets there is a way to access DLNA content directly from the set. Am I missing something??

Thanks.
post #3946 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Mine arrived today (the Costco deal). It's resting to get stablized at room temperature.
Will open the box over the weekend. Keeping fingers crossed for no gross issues.
Not planning to go looking for banding and/or DSE on the first go.
I only expect the panel to be damage/scratch/crack free and the UHDs and blurays impress me on the first go.
Post that I will try OTA and if it looks good, I am golden.
And I am golden.
So far no deal breaker found.
All HDMI checked out.
OTA looked much better than I expected (1080i and 720p, 480i is known to look crap no matter what).

Is the setting Auto Backlight = Local Dimming or is there a different setting? (Edit : Found it. It's Xtreme Black Engine Pro)
MikeBY likes this.

Last edited by aaranddeeman; 12-01-2018 at 01:00 PM.
post #3947 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hey everyone. For some time now I’ve had an issue with movies/shows playing In Dolby Vision. If there is a shot in that movie where it’s blacker than black it shows up almost a a purple black. I’ve noticed this whether playing in the internal apps or on my Apple TV. I have some examples here from a Netflix movie “The Christmas Chronicles”. It’s time stamped on the pictures that I’ve uploded. Can someone check this movie in their internal Netflix app and see if they exhibit the same thing.

I have the latest firmware, I’m using Calibrated Dark in my picture settings, And I’ve already tried doing a soft reboot. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7E669BBE-86A1-4D6D-9E83-2C510F47CEEC.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2489820   Click image for larger version

Name:	D761EEA7-568A-4DE3-9389-79EFA83A14D0.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2489822   Click image for larger version

Name:	A74AE037-90A4-462C-A302-910D9EE2B79C.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2489824  
post #3948 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Could someone explain to me what the difference between medium and high is in regards to the Active Full Array setting? I have recently noticed that when it's set to medium when watching a film in HDR I see a significant amount of flickering of the backlights during dark scenes with bright highlights. I noticed that changing the AFA setting to high appears to resolve this, but I'm not sure at what cost. I think maybe the black levels are slightly elevated but I have a hard time really telling if it's me experiencing that or if it's what I expect and so I'm tricking myself into thinking they are slightly less black.

post #3949 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senchou View Post
Could someone explain to me what the difference between medium and high is in regards to the Active Full Array setting? I have recently noticed that when it's set to medium when watching a film in HDR I see a significant amount of flickering of the backlights during dark scenes with bright highlights. I noticed that changing the AFA setting to high appears to resolve this, but I'm not sure at what cost. I think maybe the black levels are slightly elevated but I have a hard time really telling if it's me experiencing that or if it's what I expect and so I'm tricking myself into thinking they are slightly less black.

To my eye high is more responsive as you said. However, there is signicantly more blooming.
post #3950 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Mine arrived today (the Costco deal). It's resting to get stablized at room temperature.
Will open the box over the weekend. Keeping fingers crossed for no gross issues.
Not planning to go looking for banding and/or DSE on the first go.
I only expect the panel to be damage/scratch/crack free and the UHDs and blurays impress me on the first go.
Post that I will try OTA and if it looks good, I am golden.
And I am golden.
So far no deal breaker found.
All HDMI checked out.
OTA looked much better than I expected (1080i and 720p, 480i is known to look crap no matter what).

Is the setting Auto Backlight = Local Dimming or is there a different setting? (Edit : Found it. It's Xtreme Black Engine Pro)
That setting will become Active Full Array once you receive the update.
post #3951 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
To my eye high is more responsive as you said. However, there is signicantly more blooming.

I'm thinking I'll end up leaving it on high. The responsiveness of the backlights has been really distracting lately.

The reason I'm curious what it's doing behind the scenes is I noticed on the PS4 quick menu the red background and white text appear brighter when AFA is set to medium

post #3952 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ario816 View Post
Hey everyone. For some time now I’ve had an issue with movies/shows playing In Dolby Vision. If there is a shot in that movie where it’s blacker than black it shows up almost a a purple black. I’ve noticed this whether playing in the internal apps or on my Apple TV. I have some examples here from a Netflix movie “The Christmas Chronicles”. It’s time stamped on the pictures that I’ve uploded. Can someone check this movie in their internal Netflix app and see if they exhibit the same thing.

I have the latest firmware, I’m using Calibrated Dark in my picture settings, And I’ve already tried doing a soft reboot. Thanks.
Mine doesn't have that issue. I'm using calibrated dark with sharpness at 0. My apologies for the slight reflection in shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181201_190355_1543709183125.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2489910  
post #3953 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Can someone explain the difference between the HDMI ports? I know what Arc is, but other than that I'm not sure. aaranddeeman said that port 5 is not HDR, but port 4 & 5 say "HDMI BEST" Is that only referring to latency?
post #3954 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenuprime View Post
Can someone explain the difference between the HDMI ports? I know what Arc is, but other than that I'm not sure. aaranddeeman said that port 5 is not HDR, but port 4 & 5 say "HDMI BEST" Is that only referring to latency?
"BEST" is referring to the quality of hdmi connection generally. If you look, Vizio labels the component cables as "BETTER."

Anyway, hdmi 5 is a low latency port meant for gaming. For your regular viewing of streaming, cable, and blu-ray you should use hdmi 1-4.

Eta: from David Katzmaier at CNET
"Four of the inputs can accept all major 4K and HDR sources. A fifth HDMI input can accept neither HDR nor 4K sources. Instead, Input 5 can handle 1080p at 120Hz input, ideal for so-equipped gaming PCs (we didn't test this function). Gamers will also appreciate that Input 5 has lower input lag than the others."

Last edited by enfuegobuddha; 12-01-2018 at 05:46 PM.
post #3955 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Soon to be new owner with question about mounting above fireplace

Lots of helpful info on this forum led me to get my panny vt60 which became a frontpage post of mine on slickdeals. That was over 5 years ago. The plasma is still going strong but during the daytime the panny isn’t bright enough for my new crib. So i orderedthe vizio pq from costco andam awaiting shipment. The panny will go into the mancave. Now to my question.
The way the house is setupabove the fireplace is the best place tomount this tv. Leds lose some picture quality when looking off angle. My concern is if I mount above my fireplace will the picture quality suffer as the tv will be higher than us sitting on the couch. Iappreciate any input in advance. Thanks. I have read mnay of the pages on this forum. When searching I didn’t find my specific question. Ifthis has been answeredbefore Iapologizeand would appreciate yousendingme the link. Thx
post #3956 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajijabbar View Post
Lots of helpful info on this forum led me to get my panny vt60 which became a frontpage post of mine on slickdeals. That was over 5 years ago. The plasma is still going strong but during the daytime the panny isn’t bright enough for my new crib. So i orderedthe vizio pq from costco andam awaiting shipment. The panny will go into the mancave. Now to my question.
The way the house is setupabove the fireplace is the best place tomount this tv. Leds lose some picture quality when looking off angle. My concern is if I mount above my fireplace will the picture quality suffer as the tv will be higher than us sitting on the couch. Iappreciate any input in advance. Thanks. I have read mnay of the pages on this forum. When searching I didn’t find my specific question. Ifthis has been answeredbefore Iapologizeand would appreciate yousendingme the link. Thx
You can get a tilt mount to angle it down to your main viewing position, but from what I understand the vertical angle doesn't have much negative impact for VA panels such as the Vizio Quantum

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 12-01-2018 at 10:42 PM.
post #3957 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Off angle typically more relevant to side viewing because that's where extreme viewing angles are likely to occur. If you mount above a fireplace, you should just get a mount that you can angle slightly downward so it directly faces the couch. The discomfort of looking up all the time would be a bigger concern than viewing angle.
post #3958 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenuprime View Post
"BEST" is referring to the quality of hdmi connection generally. If you look, Vizio labels the component cables as "BETTER."

Anyway, hdmi 5 is a low latency port meant for gaming. For your regular viewing of streaming, cable, and blu-ray you should use hdmi 1-4.

Eta: from David Katzmaier at CNET
"Four of the inputs can accept all major 4K and HDR sources. A fifth HDMI input can accept neither HDR nor 4K sources. Instead, Input 5 can handle 1080p at 120Hz input, ideal for so-equipped gaming PCs (we didn't test this function). Gamers will also appreciate that Input 5 has lower input lag than the others."
Thanks! I'll be running a thorough test on all the ports tomorrow. Also picked up a new HDMI cable (the ones from Costco dont say specifically that they are certified).
post #3959 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
There is a mount designed for over the fireplace that also allows you to drop it down lower when viewing if the set is too high. Tilt mount should otherwise suffice. The bigger issue is if you will be sitting to the side, as the viewing angle is pretty narrow.

Currently Listening to Ascend CMT-340SE (L/R/C) with CMB-170SE's and R-PW10 sub. Small Kenwood surrounds used for Atmos Fronts
Driven by Pioneer VSX-1131. Wireless remote to rears. Roku and Samsung BD smart player.
ATMOS and DTS-X enabled !!
Previously driven by Onkyo R593
Formerly KEF FiveTwo Mdl 7, Kenwood Sub, Kenwood receiver.
post #3960 of 5747 Old 12-01-2018, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch123 View Post
Yeah but I don’t really trust there reviews anymore. Sure they run numbers but I think there is something wrong with their reviews. These numbers do not mean much to me. Most of their opinions seem to be based on specific tests they have chosen that may or may not indicate real world viewing experience if that makes sense. I would just like to know if one generally looks much better than the other when watching hdr movies or playing hdr games. Like say your not thinking about technical aspects like how there experiments measured how bright or dark it got or the numbers behind color or color volume etc. Say your just watching stuff. Does either stand out as much better than the other. They seem to have overlooked serious blooming problems and serious stutter in their reviews. Besides they review too many tv’s they literally have a formula for quantifying the experience of watching these tv’s. I think they lose sight of what make a tv look good. Or maybe all the praise for OLED isn’t really sinking in because store demos at Best Buy don’t play anything but the useless demo footage like videos of a teapot fading in and out and videos of the sun shining on a piles of leaves.

I agree that numbers are not everything, and rankings may not reflect your needs accurately because of a products particular strengths, weaknesses or cost
For example, I'm not into gaming, so I really don't care if the input lag is long on a Sony versus a LG OLED, but if I watch a lot of compressed content, the Sony has better upscaling, noise reduction and gradient dithering.
The value in the site is that they seem to have a very consistent testing methodology and update their data when they have updates to the tools or to the Firmware.
I know that I have certain things that bother me and I can look at the data side by side on this site and compare specific performance of those things. The site is very useful in this way.

I'm sure there will be some anecdotal side by side comparison posts here. Hopefully they will be helpful for you.
Depending on what happens over the next two weeks, I may be able to post side by side PQ vs Sony A1E comparisons for you.

Currently Listening to Ascend CMT-340SE (L/R/C) with CMB-170SE's and R-PW10 sub. Small Kenwood surrounds used for Atmos Fronts
Driven by Pioneer VSX-1131. Wireless remote to rears. Roku and Samsung BD smart player.
ATMOS and DTS-X enabled !!
Previously driven by Onkyo R593
Formerly KEF FiveTwo Mdl 7, Kenwood Sub, Kenwood receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
audio issues , mute speaker , pq65-f1 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page