2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2167Likes

post #4411 of 5573 Old 12-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Composite input - DOA

Merry Christmas! So...do not believe this topic has come up in this thread but a bit of a Christmas bummer. Got a SEGA Genesis flashback for the kids (ok and me) and thought I'd just hook it to the Y/V Composite (green) side input as the labeling seems to clearly indicate support for composite (NTSC 480i). No go. Found this thread "https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2948500-2018-vizio-tvs.html" saying the 2018 TVs do not support 480i. The obvious labeling and instances in the manual (composite input reference...VCR etc) imply NTSC is supported. Stocking full of coal for Vizio on this one.

Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 5573 Old 12-25-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Merry Christmas! So...do not believe this topic has come up in this thread but a bit of a Christmas bummer. Got a SEGA Genesis flashback for the kids (ok and me) and thought I'd just hook it to the Y/V Composite (green) side input as the labeling seems to clearly indicate support for composite (NTSC 480i). No go. Found this thread "https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2948500-2018-vizio-tvs.html" saying the 2018 TVs do not support 480i. The obvious labeling and instances in the manual (composite input reference...VCR etc) imply NTSC is supported. Stocking full of coal for Vizio on this one.
You are buying next to OLED 4K HDR TV, to connect what? Composite?
post #4413 of 5573 Old 12-25-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
The problem isn't the suggestion itself. The problem is making suggestions without the full knowledge of what you are doing or informing the issues with the suggestion. It isn't a crime, but it is definitely irresponsible. Thankfully there are those of us here who do understand the issues and can pass the correct information.
Let it go. You did enough to educate him.
divo1979 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 5573 Old 12-25-2018, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Hey. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder lol. And last time I checked it wasn’t a crime to suggest tv setting (no matter how outlandish they may be) although with all this politically correct crap I wouldn’t be surprised if you’d be doing jail time for it in the near future lol. No offence but it seems petty to dictate what someone can and can’t or should or shouldn’t do regarding television settings. I just like an oversaturated picture etc. If someone tries a setting I suggest and doesn’t like it....they’ll simply change it back. I do understand that there are professional calibrators on here but leave some room for the noobs to have some fun instead of coming down on us with the self righteous, narcissistic dictatorial crap. I love tv technology and I’m just having fun and should be able to do so without all the judgment and critiquing that I sometimes see from people on here who take this seriously. And for the record I don’t hate anyone here. I’ve just gotten annoyed is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My friend. Go ahead and do whatever to your TV. I said that already. You call yourself noob, and on the other hand not ready to even listen to what others have to say.
@skschatzman has enough knowledge and experience and he has shared here for everyones benefit. He is just trying to point you to the right direction.
If you don't like it, so leave it. No one forces anyone. Doing yourself what you like is one thing, but insisting that it is the right thing is another.
And this is where the forums like this are useful.
So yes. Have fun. Merry Christmas.
post #4415 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 8
2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfuegobuddha View Post
I think I figured out what you are referring to. So if you have a custom setting it will retain the appropriate settings for SDR and HDR. However, if you have two (say one for sdr and hdr) separate custom settings e.g. "custom dark 2" and "custom dark 1." It will stay on that particular named setting now between HDR and SDR which is annoying. Still as long as you have sdr and hdr set within one setting it will switch over correctly.

This is what has happened to my set I have calibrated dark for gaming all the settings default with low latency set to on for SDR

when it switches to HDR I have backlight set too 100 this is my custom setting it would be 50 at default but I changed it too 100.

Now whatever I do in SDR for calibrated dark for backlight or even color carries over to the HDR SETTING.

It seems that calibrated dark SDR AND calibrated dark HDR can no longer save separate settings within a picture mode(calibrated dark, standard ,vivid , etc.. no longer save separate settings for SDR OR HDR)

This is a crappy update.
@VizioService
Can you verify this? If this is true why would vizio remove the ability to have different settings for SDR and HDR within a picture mode????

Last edited by klipsch123; 12-26-2018 at 02:03 AM.
post #4416 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
You should get something like the XRGB Mini Framemeister from Micomsoft.

Also, you want to get a Genesis that has SCART/RGB capability (I think most Genesis models supported SCART/RGB out from the breakout connector, but you'd have to buy the SCART cable yourself). I have a Genesis I haven't hooked up yet that is the "best sounding" model. I think it actually says "HD Audio" on it, lol. Usually European models would have included SCART cables because they were higher video quality (SNES had some SCART cables, too). SCART has the cleanest signal out from retro consoles.

Using the Framemeister (or something of similar high caliber) can take your 240p (or other resolution signal) and upscale it to 1080p with minimal to no added lag. The signal is relatively clean compared to what you would remember from composite. Most retro gamers have been using this upscaler for some time (10-15 years). Basically just get your retro console to output SCART (in Genesis' case just buy the right cable), plug it into the framemeister, and take the clean/upscaled/lag free HDMI output into your TV.

Framemeister:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182993873720

My Life in Gaming discussing getting the best picture from Genesis (SCART):

And for those that laugh, my original NES-001 240p NES (modded to output 1080p directly from the original NES video chip) looks fantastic on 1080p/4K TVs. The pixels are razor sharp. NES' video chip actually outputs digital internally and converts to analog for its original connections (composite/RF). So Kevtris tapped into that and has a super clean signal coming from the chip itself --> HDMI.

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"

Last edited by elmalloc; 12-26-2018 at 04:55 AM.
post #4417 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch123 View Post
This is what has happened to my set I have calibrated dark for gaming all the settings default with low latency set to on for SDR

when it switches to HDR I have backlight set too 100 this is my custom setting it would be 50 at default but I changed it too 100.

Now whatever I do in SDR for calibrated dark for backlight or even color carries over to the HDR SETTING.

It seems that calibrated dark SDR AND calibrated dark HDR can no longer save separate settings within a picture mode(calibrated dark, standard ,vivid , etc.. no longer save separate settings for SDR OR HDR)

This is a crappy update.
@VizioService
Can you verify this? If this is true why would vizio remove the ability to have different settings for SDR and HDR within a picture mode????

As @skschatzman has explained sometime before, the setting are not associated with the picture mode (like Calibrated, Calibrated Dark etc.).
They are associated with color temperature.
So it is possible to have only 9 distinct settings. 3 Color temp. x (SDR, HDR10/HLG, DV).
It is strange, but that is how Vizio has done it.

If you are using same color temperature for both SDR and HDR (which is true 99.99% of the time as we all use Normal), make sure to
- change setting for SDR only when SDR picture is being displayed
- change setting for HDR/HLG when HDR/HLG picture is being displayed
- change setting for DV when DV picture is being displayed
(for the same picture mode, e.g. Calibrated dark or it's copy)

The TV will switch to the custom setting every time the content changes. You do not need to keep switching it.
post #4418 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfuegobuddha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersin2025 View Post
So I've had my PQ for a few months now and it's been awesome until last night. Not sure if I got an update or what but now dark scenes look like garbage with all the blooming around lights. I had it set to Calibrated Dark with Black Detail Off and Active Full Array (AKA Xtreme Black Engine Pro) at Medium per RTINGS settings. Not sure what firmware I was on but now it show 1.1.17.1.

I was watching Christmas Chronicals on Netflix via the built in app and any night scene with any kind of bright light was blown out with bad grey halo around it. Any xmas light, street light, on screen lettering like the girls date and time on her camcorder. It would also flicker real bad when panning. I uploaded some pics and I'll try to figure out how to upload a video. Are you guys seeing this too or do I need to change my settings now? Is there any way to roll back firmware's because it was perfect before. And no, I didn't do a factory reset as I didn't want to have to input all my passwords again yet if I can avoid it. I lowered the Active Full Array down to Low and that helps but now the picture is a lot darker and I lose a lot of the dark detail and the bright pop from the lights light flashlights and streetlights. I watched Bird Box after and had the same issues so it's not just that movie. Anyone else having problems now?
Here's the same Christmas Chronicles (HDR) shot on my set. Actually, the blooming looks worse in the attached photo than in person. What really is distracting is the fluttering of the FALD zones on the panning shots. There's an example of this immediately following this shot I took.
Is just the way it is?? I’m curious what a Samsung q8 q9 looks like for this same scene. I did help blooming by keeping backlight low and at as high as 50.
post #4419 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Hey. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder lol. And last time I checked it wasn’t a crime to suggest tv setting (no matter how outlandish they may be) although with all this politically correct crap I wouldn’t be surprised if you’d be doing jail time for it in the near future lol. No offence but it seems petty to dictate what someone can and can’t or should or shouldn’t do regarding television settings. I just like an oversaturated picture etc. If someone tries a setting I suggest and doesn’t like it....they’ll simply change it back. I do understand that there are professional calibrators on here but leave some room for the noobs to have some fun instead of coming down on us with the self righteous, narcissistic dictatorial crap. I love tv technology and I’m just having fun and should be able to do so without all the judgment and critiquing that I sometimes see from people on here who take this seriously. And for the record I don’t hate anyone here. I’ve just gotten annoyed is all.

You are literally my HERO!!!!!!!! lol (joking) no seriously, that's why I stopped commenting on this thread, got way to serious to quickly.You are absolutely correct in everything you said, keep spitting the real no matter how much backlash you receive
shoman94 likes this.
post #4420 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divo1979 View Post
You are literally my HERO!!!!!!!! lol (joking) no seriously, that's why I stopped commenting on this thread, got way to serious to quickly.You are absolutely correct in everything you said, keep spitting the real no matter how much backlash you receive
Two wrongs does not make a right. Lol... no seriously
post #4421 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by divo1979 View Post
Ignorance is bliss.
elmalloc and christoofar like this.
post #4422 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
Ignorance is bliss.
*shoulder shrug* carry only my dude I said what I said.
post #4423 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 11:50 AM

And side note, the ridiculous amount of adult trollish behavior of some of you exhibit is shameful. Like the guy said I'm here to have fun with my vizio quantum and there new 5.1.4 atmos system, And if you don't like well there's always rocks to kick with open toe shoes
post #4424 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 8
2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
As @skschatzman has explained sometime before, the setting are not associated with the picture mode (like Calibrated, Calibrated Dark etc.).

They are associated with color temperature.

So it is possible to have only 9 distinct settings. 3 Color temp. x (SDR, HDR10/HLG, DV).

It is strange, but that is how Vizio has done it.

If you are using same color temperature for both SDR and HDR (which is true 99.99% of the time as we all use Normal), make sure to

- change setting for SDR only when SDR picture is being displayed

- change setting for HDR/HLG when HDR/HLG picture is being displayed

- change setting for DV when DV picture is being displayed

(for the same picture mode, e.g. Calibrated dark or it's copy)

The TV will switch to the custom setting every time the content changes. You do not need to keep switching it.

Ok so my settings are all for normal color temp. I don’t change color temp within a picture mode (calibrated dark for example the color temp is normal throughout all SDR HDR DOLBY VISION)

And if I understand correctly you are saying that whatever changes I make in HDR should apply only to HDR within calibrated dark. As long as I make the changes once HDR has kicked in.

Except of course gamma and some others which has always been constant throughout all SDR HDR DOLBY VISION.(my observation).

This is no longer the case however. If I raise the back light in HDR to 100. The backlight in SDR will be at 100 next time you play SDR content.

Maybe you could try this yourself to check. This seems to be a recent change. Try going back and forth between SDR and HDR after changing backlight in HDR. You will see the back light setting carries over to SDR. That is unless my set is glitched.

The settings seem to stick for HDR independently once. But after going back and forth twice it will no longer keep individual settings.

post #4425 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
Ok so my settings are all for normal color temp. I don’t change color temp within a picture mode (calibrated dark for example the color temp is normal throughout all SDR HDR DOLBY VISION)

And if I understand correctly you are saying that whatever changes I make in HDR should apply only to HDR within calibrated dark. As long as I make the changes once HDR has kicked in.

Except of course gamma and some others which has always been constant throughout all SDR HDR DOLBY VISION.(my observation).

This is no longer the case however. If I raise the back light in HDR to 100. The backlight in SDR will be at 100 next time you play SDR content.

Maybe you could try this yourself to check. This seems to be a recent change. Try going back and forth between SDR and HDR after changing backlight in HDR. You will see the back light setting carries over to SDR. That is unless my set is glitched.

The settings seem to stick for HDR independently once. But after going back and forth twice it will no longer keep individual settings.
Either there is something you unknowingly did or there is an issue with the TV. Factory reset the TV and report the results.
post #4426 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Backlight may behave differently. I change backlight only for SDR (= 5). When it switches to HDR, the backlight is automatically bumped to 50 and that is good enough for HDR.
post #4427 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Is it me or is this TV sold out everywhere? Best Buy doesn’t have it anymore or am I missing something?

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #4428 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

Newb question here, I've had the TV since just before black Friday, so how do i tell if i have one of the lemon screens? I'm assuming i may have but don't know for sure since i have not seen another one in person to actually compare. Anyway, the only way the setting the colors don't look dull or muted is in vivid with afa at medium (just watched Infinity War on 4k blu ray and in every setting other than vivid he looks like he is olive drab green. Afa at anything other than med is too dark and dull and everything in a dark screen in medium has distracting blooming no matter what other settings in both SDR or HDR (netflix from internal app/nvidia shield or xbox-x including 4k dvds), in some places it almost becomes unwatchable as it washes everything out around it and turning the brightness up to compensate for turning down afa is even worse. Ive tried starting with all of the recommended settings in calibrated and calibrated dark and no tweaking from there with no luck. Any suggestions to try before i try calling costco for a replacement? (for the record, Ive read almost the entirety of this forum starting when i was doing research trying to decide between this a samsung q8/9 or an oled). Again, sorry for the newb question, just not sure what is normal on these since watching the 4k hdr demos on youtube look amazing but everything else.. meh

thank you btw
post #4429 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoramac View Post
Hi all,

Newb question here, I've had the TV since just before black Friday, so how do i tell if i have one of the lemon screens? I'm assuming i may have but don't know for sure since i have not seen another one in person to actually compare. Anyway, the only way the setting the colors don't look dull or muted is in vivid with afa at medium (just watched Infinity War on 4k blu ray and in every setting other than vivid he looks like he is olive drab green. Afa at anything other than med is too dark and dull and everything in a dark screen in medium has distracting blooming no matter what other settings in both SDR or HDR (netflix from internal app/nvidia shield or xbox-x including 4k dvds), in some places it almost becomes unwatchable as it washes everything out around it and turning the brightness up to compensate for turning down afa is even worse. Ive tried starting with all of the recommended settings in calibrated and calibrated dark and no tweaking from there with no luck. Any suggestions to try before i try calling costco for a replacement? (for the record, Ive read almost the entirety of this forum starting when i was doing research trying to decide between this a samsung q8/9 or an oled). Again, sorry for the newb question, just not sure what is normal on these since watching the 4k hdr demos on youtube look amazing but everything else.. meh

thank you btw
Do you have Full UHD color enabled on the ports where you have HDR content?
post #4430 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Do you have Full UHD color enabled on the ports where you have HDR content?

yes, including the tivo cable box
post #4431 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoramac View Post
yes, including the tivo cable box
No. On the TV inputs.
Press Menu and go to input settings and make sure the full UHD color is On. You should have a active source connected to that input to do this.
post #4432 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
No. On the TV inputs.
Press Menu and go to input settings and make sure the full UHD color is On. You should have a active source connected to that input to do this.

Thanks again, Ive tried it both ways and doesn't really make that much of a difference other than it being marginally better in the on setting.

ps. tried sending you a pm if you had any other item for me to check or try and not tie up the forum but my post count isnt high enough yet.

Last edited by zoramac; 12-26-2018 at 07:35 PM.
post #4433 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Any updates on the white line horizontal flashing issue? My PQ65-F1 just started to display this problem today. Solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2501148  
post #4434 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipp Diamond View Post
Any updates on the white line horizontal flashing issue? My PQ65-F1 just started to display this problem today. Solutions?
It isn't something I see people posting about. It isn't something I have ever seen. Factory reset your TV and if that doesn't work, then file a claim.
post #4435 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
It isn't something I see people posting about. It isn't something I have ever seen. Factory reset your TV and if that doesn't work, then file a claim.
I have a ticket in to Vizio, but others are experiencing this problem. See Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/VizioTV/com...shing_problem/
post #4436 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I'll reset cables and tv but thought I had seen some others on this forum posting similar issues.
post #4437 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
My friend. Go ahead and do whatever to your TV. I said that already. You call yourself noob, and on the other hand not ready to even listen to what others have to say.
@skschatzman has enough knowledge and experience and he has shared here for everyones benefit. He is just trying to point you to the right direction.

If you don't like it, so leave it. No one forces anyone. Doing yourself what you like is one thing, but insisting that it is the right thing is another.

And this is where the forums like this are useful.

So yes. Have fun. Merry Christmas.

Fair enough and thank you. Merry Christmas to you as well.

post #4438 of 5573 Old 12-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
The problem isn't the suggestion itself. The problem is making suggestions without the full knowledge of what you are doing or informing the issues with the suggestion. It isn't a crime, but it is definitely irresponsible. Thankfully there are those of us here who do understand the issues and can pass the correct information.

Well I have thus far had great appreciation for your helpful suggestions and this certainly isn’t worth arguing over so let’s just call it a day. I hope you had a nice Christmas and I hope your New Year to be the same.

post #4439 of 5573 Old 12-27-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Is it me or is this TV sold out everywhere? Best Buy doesn’t have it anymore or am I missing something?

You can still find it at CostCo (online).

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
post #4440 of 5573 Old 12-27-2018, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipp Diamond View Post
I'll reset cables and tv but thought I had seen some others on this forum posting similar issues.

I saw the same once during an episode of Daredevil. It happened randomly and repeatedly. I had to turn the tv off and back on. I have since then replaced my hdmi cable, can’t say for sure that solved it, but it hasn’t come back yet. I have also factory reset since then as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
audio issues , mute speaker , pq65-f1 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page